PDA

View Full Version : Remember this guy ?

boomermagic
12/17/2008, 09:48 AM
In 1967, he was honored as UPI's Lineman of the year. The two-time All-American ranks as one of the top defensive linemen in OU's history.

At 214 pounds, he was the biggest man on the defense, but he usually had to face bigger centers. He could offset this with his incredible quickness.

"He moves so fast that he looks like he's offsides," said then-Texas head coach and former OU player Darrell Royal. "Many times he'll hit the center before the center can get the ball to the quarterback."

He was also honored as the Lineman of the Year by the Pigskin Club of Washington, D.C., in 1967. He was drafted in the 10th round by the Detroit Lions in 1968.

Soonersince57
12/17/2008, 09:51 AM
Granville Liggins??

Partial Qualifier
12/17/2008, 09:52 AM
That would be Granville "Slam Damn Slappy" Liggins.

What do I win? :D

boomermagic
12/17/2008, 09:54 AM
Yep

Flagstaffsooner
12/17/2008, 09:56 AM
Loved him. He was a hero in the CFL.

soonerspudman
12/17/2008, 10:40 AM
My very first OU hero as a kid, outstanding player on what was a below average OU team. Also, the coolest name for a football player ever.

ouwapiti
12/17/2008, 11:09 AM
only 214 pounds ?????....wow, my recollection of him was bigger than that.............but, come to think of it, lucious selmon weighed about the same...maybe a little more???....roomed next to him at '70 all state camp....nice guy......i was always amazed at how he could make plays sideline to sideline from nose position

AlbqSooner
12/17/2008, 08:40 PM
We played Tennessee in a bowl game that year. They had a consensus All American center named Bob Johnson. All the pre-bowl media hype was about the matchup between Liggins and Johnson.

OU kicked off to start the game and as Tenn broke the huddle for their first play, Liggins was in his four point stance. Johnson walked to the line and said, "Hello Granny". Liggins said nothing. As the ball was snapped Liggins put a forearm under Johnson's pads and rolled him over backwards, continuing on and making the tackle for a loss.

Liggins then turned, offered Johnson a hand to help him up and said, "Oh hello Bob, I didn't see you there."

rfjeep12
12/17/2008, 08:46 PM
That's awesome! How have i never heard of this guy?

Jacie
12/17/2008, 09:24 PM
That Orange Bowl is my earliest memory of watching the Sooners on television and I remember seeing Granville being all over that center.

owenfieldreams
12/17/2008, 10:06 PM
Affectionately known as "The Chocolate Cheetah" . In 1966, we were holding our own with what is in my opinion, the greatest opponent we have ever faced on Owen Field & Liggins was the only reason.

ND set up a trap play with the sole intention of taking him out of the game. They did, & went on to a 38-0 drubbing of the Sooners.

I still have my POTFI button from that game.