PDA

View Full Version : For Frozen Sooner: Recount what you've seen . . .

Jacie
12/17/2008, 07:33 AM
. . . done to the owls on top of the old law building across from the old engineering building during Engineer's Week.

I have seen them painted green with big white polka dots, black with white polka dots and one year one of the owls was removed from it's alcove and set atop the new law building.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/17/2008, 10:29 AM
They let out mice into the law barn...

They cemented a plaque onto the law barn front lawn with something like "Is the rivalry dead?"

Old Trusty is always fired toward the law barn - anyone know why?

SoonerInKCMO
12/17/2008, 10:56 AM
Old Trusty is always fired toward the law barn - anyone know why?

What I heard was that the first test firing of Old Trusty, after being dug out from the South Canadian and cleaned up, was near the old law building and the blast shattered several windows. So, they like to commemorate the event which started the rivalry.

Jacie
12/17/2008, 11:26 AM
What I heard was that the first test firing of Old Trusty, after being dug out from the South Canadian and cleaned up, was near the old law building and the blast shattered several windows. So, they like to commemorate the event which started the rivalry.

The story I have read incorporates some of the elements you mentioned but it goes like this.

Originally, the engineers had an actual Civil War cannon. They did indeed blow out the windows to the law center upon firing it one night. The Dean of the law center was so enraged he hauled it out to the South Canadian and sunk it, where it lies buried to this day. Old Trusty is a replacement of that first cannon.

What we need now is a former member of the LKOT to give us the real story. Also, the members of LKOT remain hooded, their identities a secret until graduation, lest any law school professors discover who they are and come after them?

TheHumanAlphabet
12/17/2008, 11:35 AM
Jacie, that is what I have heard...

That is also why LKOT is the only legal hooded society in Oklahoma. They disassemble Old Trusty to keep it away from evil law barners and to keep identities secret.

The story on the canon I heard was that a bunch of guys thought it would be great to see if it would go boom. It just happened to be pointing toward the original law barn when the boom (a bit greater than expected) blew out the winders. Such great fun was had that it became a tradition to shoot toward the law barn.

The Engine Club in my day had a vending machine that would give you a beer for 50 cents. Since the place was officially private property they could do it...

OUMallen
12/17/2008, 11:47 AM
These stories are awesome. Keep'em coming!

Frozen Sooner
12/17/2008, 04:27 PM
Heh. I never paid attention when I was at OU, since I was neither an engineer nor a law student. Good stories, though.

OUAndy1807
12/17/2008, 04:39 PM
engineering students vs. law students is probably the biggest one-sided rivalry in the history of the world. engineering students hate law students, law students couldn't care less.

Boomer.....
12/17/2008, 04:46 PM
The story I have read incorporates some of the elements you mentioned but it goes like this.

Originally, the engineers had an actual Civil War cannon. They did indeed blow out the windows to the law center upon firing it one night. The Dean of the law center was so enraged he hauled it out to the South Canadian and sunk it, where it lies buried to this day. Old Trusty is a replacement of that first cannon.

What we need now is a former member of the LKOT to give us the real story. Also, the members of LKOT remain hooded, their identities a secret until graduation, lest any law school professors discover who they are and come after them?

It was filled with concrete before being sunk.

Most of the events (pranks) happen during E-Week. It is almost all engineer pranks. The lawyers hardly ever do anything. The only one I can remember is one of the worst. They threw a bucket of yellow paint on the statue of Old Trusty in between Felger and Carson. It was mostly cleaned up but you can still see some yellow.

The engineers have also dyed the fountain water green outside the law barn, dumped a truckload of manure in front of it with a sign that read: "Oh ****, it's E-week", planted different grass in the shape of a clover in front of the law barn which was timed perfectly to grown bright green during E-week.

Boomer.....
12/17/2008, 04:47 PM
Not that I would know or anything. :cool:

TheHumanAlphabet
12/18/2008, 06:28 AM
Not that I would know or anything. :cool:

LKOT?

Boomer.....
12/18/2008, 08:24 AM

Boomer.....
12/18/2008, 08:48 AM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/9163/dsc0068bg4.jpg

Taxman71
12/18/2008, 09:49 AM
The engineers dumped a truckload of manure on the south entrance to the law center when I was there. Of course, it was cleaned up before anyone showed up for class. Nobody had heard of any rivalry prior to that and no retaliation ever ensued....other than laughter.