PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: 25% chance Thunder get Blake Griffin

sooner59
12/17/2008, 02:30 AM
The mock draft scenario at ESPN has Blake Griffin as the #1 overall draft pick in the lottery. Surprise, surprise, they also have the Thunder as the best chance of getting him. They have a 25% chance. Wow. How great would it be to get a hometown boy as the #1 overall pick? I would definitely be excited. He is really physical inside.

I will admit that I watch the NBA, but I am by no means necessary an expert. What does everyone else think of this? Would Blake be the best choice for the Thunder? I know it would be awesome for popularity around here. It would be harder to get tickets, and TV rating would increase. But is he the best 1st pick option for our ailing team? I am interesting in what more knowledgeable people think.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2009/mockdraft

Hella Sideburns
12/17/2008, 03:24 AM
if the draft was tomorrow, every gm would have griffin as their No. 1 player.

part of that is because Blake is pretty good, and part of it is because the rest of the class is pretty bad.

There are three players in this class that I really like. Blake, obviously, ricky rubio and james harden.

I don't know as much about Rubio as the other two, but I trust the people that have him highly ranked. The downside is that he's a PG and we have russell westbrook there at the moment. And while Russ isn't a true PG, he's definitely not a SG. Also, there's no telling if Rubio is physically ready for the NBA.

Harden is a strong, slasher. He's also just 6'4. And he might not even be 6'4. I'm convinced that no SG in the NBA that's listed at 6'4 is actually 6'4. A guy who is 6'2 but has to play SG is listed at 6'4. A guy who is really 6'4 is listed at 6'6.

But I also don't think Jordan was 6'6. so let's not hold height against Harden. He's strong, he hits his shots, he rebounds. He's really impressive. I realize that I'm rambling.

sooner59
12/17/2008, 04:00 AM
Hella, I appreciate the info. First of all, from watching he Olympics I think Rubio will be ok, probably mid-level. I don't know much about James Hardin. I just hope that how ever it shakes out, the Thunder get pick #1. If they do, then I will be able to criticize them if they pick someone who they shouldn't have. I hope that they pick Griffin. They will not ONLY improve their publicity, but more importantly, they will be better inside. I think Blake is a great pick for the team and for the fanbase. Like I said, I am by no means an expert, but these are my thoughts.

Tulsa_Sooner
12/17/2008, 09:24 AM
I saw ESPN's mock draft too, and I think that's great. I can't imagine ever becoming a huge NBA fan, I much prefer ALL college sports....but having Blake stay in state would be huge for the Thunder (would kind of suck for him to have to go to the worst team, but hey - he'll make em better). They seem to be doing well with attendance so far, despite being terrible, but aside from having a much improved team, the biggest attendance draw would be getting Blake. I hope it works out that way. Alas, I'm much less of an NBA expert than you though, so no useful insight here - just wishful thinking.

BigRedJed
12/17/2008, 09:37 AM
Actually, I think he would be a great fit for the Thunder, regardless of the Oklahoma connection. They desperately need a low-post scorer. Heck, they need any scorer, but that is a glaring hole. They also could use some more agressive rebounding inside.

I've been a little resistant to the "Blake is number one" talk for a while, only because I was afraid my judgment was clouded, and it was a homer thing. But that talk is now well beyond Oklahoma.

Yeah, I'd love for the Thunder to get him.

badger
12/17/2008, 10:51 AM
Griffin needs to start wearing protection :( Every player and their brother is taking cheap shots at him. With him projected to go No. 1 (and hopefully to the Thunder), those are some pretty valuable jewels.

:eek: It had to be said! USC isn't the only cheap shot school taking cheap shots!

kbsooner21
12/17/2008, 11:43 AM
Don't get me wrong I love the kid and think he's a great player, but I don't know how well he'll match up to the bigs in the NBA. It's a much different game. He still needs to develop his mid-range game to succeed at the next level. He often overpowers players and I don't see that happening at the next level where everyone is bigger and stronger. Take this past weekend against Utah for example, he struggled quite a bit against a true big man and it wasn't exactly Dwight Howard he was playing against :D

Cappy
12/17/2008, 12:35 PM
I think its more that he hasn't had the opportunity against a true big man. If he goes full speed, he gets called for offensive fouls since guys just bounce off him. It will be crazy seeing him against Dwight Howard with how strong they both are. He would be perfect for the Thunder cause it isn't just low post scoring they need, but rebounding is the biggest area for help.

soonervegas
12/18/2008, 11:03 PM
Two things:

It is a need of the thunder

It would speed up the bond between the team and city

It is the best possible scenario for thunder ownership.

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 11:12 PM
That's three things.

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 11:15 PM
I'm an ässhole.

birddog
12/19/2008, 08:03 AM
a. yes you are
2. it had to happen.

C&CDean
12/19/2008, 10:55 AM
If Blake can't develop that 8-10 foot fall away jumper he's gonna get eaten up in the NBA. I think he'll hold his own rebounding and banging, but he'll never hit double digits scoring if he can't pop a short jumper every now and then.

BigRedJed
12/19/2008, 12:17 PM
That's a great point. When you going to a Thunder game with me Big Poppa?

BigRedJed
12/19/2008, 12:17 PM
You get to see lots of really great players. Playing for the teams that visit here.

C&CDean
12/19/2008, 12:36 PM
Heh. Whenever you invite me.

PDXsooner
12/19/2008, 01:14 PM
Griffin will definitely have a long career in the NBA, simply due to size and athleticism. Whether he becomes a consistent starter will hinge on his ability to develop that consistent 10-12 foot mid-range J.

Rhino
12/19/2008, 01:31 PM
Griffin or Thabeet.

Sooner04
12/19/2008, 04:37 PM
If Blake can't develop that 8-10 foot fall away jumper he's gonna get eaten up in the NBA. I think he'll hold his own rebounding and banging, but he'll never hit double digits scoring if he can't pop a short jumper every now and then.
You didn't see the Tulsa game, did you?