PDA

View Full Version : **Florida Board Trollers: There is a BIG HONKIN' PINK ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM**

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 08:55 PM
...and you don't see it. Your media-daddy ain't pointing it out. You didn't watch anyone else's conference so you are clueless to the obvious:

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

1. "SEC offenses don't rank high because they play such tough defenses."

2. "Big XII offenses rank high because they play such weak defenses."

This is ALL YOU GOT??

Either statement 1. is true or statement 2. is true but if you say "both" you are yelling at a mirror.

The Big XII has historically had worse defenses. The SEC has had worse defenses...hell, the Pac10, Big10, ACC, Big East, etc, have had worse defenses. Even the Big 8 had worse defenses...yet,

702 points
80 offensive plays per game
97 touchdowns

Never been done before. OU has the repeating rifle and everyone else has rocks.

A state-of-the-art offensive scheme developed by an offensive coordinator that started this Dr Frankensteinein project several years ago in a little-lauded outpost of the Big 10. In 2008, he combined parts from a Pirate, parts from the grass-skirt-wearers, parts from even a Mormon-land Indian-turned-amphibian, added components brought in from having the benefit of a century of unsurpassed tradition and a defense-minded head coach with the foresight to see the creature that was to be....

You better hope you are right, pond-dwellers. 'Cause you ain't seen nothing like this in your conference. Neither have we. Nobody has.

These lowly Big XII Champions have averaged in the first half what you have scored in entire games...against powerhouse defenses such as The Citadel and Vanderbilt. (sorry Homey)

You got a nice team there. Very similar to our orange brethren to the north. You rank a respectable 18th in the country in total offense. Behind six Big XII schools that run a 4-cylinder version of the aforementioned monster.

Your beloved conference's defenses have not changed. Neither has your offenses. The Big XII's offenses have changed.

That is the point.

OU has run offensive plays 236 times more than the SEC conference champion, yet played the same amount of games. At a rate of 1 touchdown for every 10 plays, that's 23 more trips to the end zone. Again, half the Big XII teams have run more offensive plays than UF. Think that might skew conference defensive statistics some?

What was that?

Yeah, we just snapped the ball again...

hgarmorer
12/16/2008, 08:59 PM
Great write-up. I have so many favorite lines it's hard to pin down the best one. I do like the last one though. Good stuff

catsigater
12/16/2008, 09:06 PM
And that pace gives us the opportunity to run 30% more plays. Thanks!

In the average game, OU attempts 36.6 passes and rushes 43.1 times, for a total of 79.7 offensive plays per game.

In contrast, Florida attempts only 23 passes and rushes 38.5 times per game, for a total of only 61.5 offensive plays per game.

The difference? More than 18 plays. That is a 30 percent difference. How is this possible?

The first impulse is to check the time of possession, and assume that OU holds the ball longer than the Gators.

Guess what?

OU only holds the ball two seconds longer per game than the Gators. That's only 26 seconds over the entire season. So that's not it.

The answer is Tempo. OU runs a quicker offense, and is able to squeeze in more plays than the Gators in the same amount of time.

The average Sooner play takes only 22.4 seconds. The Gators burn 29 seconds per play.

Perhaps it's the Sooners, not the speedy Gators, that have the fastest team in the nation!

This also works to increase the number of plays for Oklahoma's opponents as well. Texas Tech had 77 offensive plays in their loss to OU. Texas had 70 offensive plays and held OU to only 67 offensive plays in their 45-35 win, both above Florida's average of 61.5 offensive plays per game.

So as OU's next opponent how would Florida's offense fair with the 30 percent more plays that it will get in the BCS National Championship game?

Florida averages over 45 points per game, good enough for third in the country. Increase that by 30 percent and the result is 58.

So, if the Gators and the Sooners had the same number of offensive plays, Florida's average points per game increases to 58, which is better than OU's 54 points per game.

On defense, Florida's points allowed would only go up to 16.5 points per game, which is still well under OU's 24.5 points per game. Both defenses are solid.

Indeed, Oklahoma and Florida have explosive offenses that can put points on the board in a hurry.

However, the Gators have spent a little less time and effort doing so.

Efficiency.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/90423-florida-outscores-oklahoma-on-every-single-play-on-average

SoonerMom2
12/16/2008, 09:08 PM
That is an AWESOME write-up! Great job of telling it like it is!

adoniijahsooner
12/16/2008, 09:10 PM
I agree. I just watched the sec championship game, and the more I see of these sec offenses, the less impressed I become. Just giving the eye test, you can see that good quarterback play is good qb play, and that a bad offense is bad, because it's bad, and not because of the competition. Stoops is very revealing when we play teams like Chattanooga and Baylor; he basically says that you have to look at the execution and crispness of play, and not the scoreboard. Florida has to be concerned with execution of this offense and stop arguing speed and weak big 12 defenses.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 09:15 PM

Castrator, the problem with your copied argument is...

OUR Heisman winner sat on the bench in blowouts a total of two full games.

Plug that fact into your shaded circular-logic and see what happens. In fact, have that Spin-Doctor straight from the political arena run his hypothesis using our first-half totals vs. your entire game totals. You likely wouldn't be happy with how close the argument stays...

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 09:16 PM

And coincidentally 30% more chance to turn it over to our ballhawking defense.

catsigater
12/16/2008, 09:19 PM
(Y)OU(R) Heisman winner padded his stats against pathetic defenses.

You won't score 30.

delhalew
12/16/2008, 09:20 PM
Not only that, but do you gators occasionally like to make subs on your defense? Try it...we'll take the penalty yards as well.

catsigater
12/16/2008, 09:23 PM
Not only that, but do you gators occasionally like to make subs on your defense? Try it...we'll take the penalty yards as well.

I think that will be one of our biggest challenges. I'm sure our D-Coordinator is spending some sleepless nights over the no-huddle offense, esp with our relatively thin D-Line.

On the plus side, OSU, whose offense most closely resembles ours, scored 41, and we have better athletes.

You won't score 41 on our defense.

adoniijahsooner
12/16/2008, 09:25 PM

You won't score 30.

I can tell you haven't watched our team play, but in only 2 games. The whole year many of us were frustrated, because we spent the second half of games watching our offense run the dive play after play; but after Texas Tech, it was like Bob said "To hell with that" , and he started crushing throats. I guess you think scoring 70 on citadel, a good offensive showing?

adoniijahsooner
12/16/2008, 09:26 PM
Oklahoma State has a better offense than yours.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 09:26 PM

You won't score 30 in the first quarter.

Fixed.

Your Heisman winner must have led by example.

The Citadel (?)

PDXsooner
12/16/2008, 09:28 PM
It's over. I quit. All rational debate is over. Oklahoma vs. Florida on January 8th, 2009. Winner take all. There are no ties in Division 1 football. One team will take home the crystal ball. The other will crawl home as losers. May the best team win.

delhalew
12/16/2008, 09:33 PM
I think that will be one of our biggest challenges. I'm sure our D-Coordinator is spending some sleepless nights over the no-huddle offense, esp with our relatively thin D-Line.

On the plus side, OSU, whose offense most closely resembles ours, scored 41, and we have better athletes.

Tebow does not move as well as Zach Robinson...You have an explosive guy with good hands(Harvin)like Bryant. For me the similarities stop there.

Not saying its a lock, but get used to the idea that we can score more than 41 points on your defense. It will be less painful that way.

engigator
12/16/2008, 09:33 PM
How many games of ours did you watch? The Citadel? Tebow played 1.5 quarters.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 09:34 PM

Actually, little aggy's offense is much better.

And, Robinson - Pettigrew - Bryant would start on any SEC team...including yours.

Yes, I said it...

start

on

yours.

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 09:35 PM

You won't score 30.

A UT reject scored 31 on you on your home turf. We scored 28 pts in the first half against the #2 defense in the country before laying back and running up the middle the rest of the game. Your baseless claims fall on deaf ears.

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 09:36 PM
How many games of ours did you watch? The Citadel? Tebow played 1.5 quarters in the 2nd half.

Fixed.

adoniijahsooner
12/16/2008, 09:39 PM
How many games of ours did you watch? The Citadel? Tebow fasted and prayed for 1.5 quarters.

fixed.

It has nothing do with who played,we shut the machine down, for the rest of the game.

catsigater
12/16/2008, 09:39 PM
A UT reject scored 31 on you on your home turf. We scored 28 pts in the first half against the #2 defense in the country before laying back and running up the middle the rest of the game. Your baseless claims fall on deaf ears.

Not a claim, a prediction. One I'll be happy to revisit on 1/9/09. And if you can't hear me, why do you continue to yammer?

oupride
12/16/2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the post Lott!

PDXsooner
12/16/2008, 09:41 PM

You won't score 30.

You will soon learn, oh young one...

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 09:41 PM
How many games of ours did you watch? The Citadel? Tebow played 1.5 quarters.

You fell for it.

Folks, you can't have it both ways.

Claim the defenses you faces were so daunting, then brag 'cause you sat your QB down.

Claim OU's defense isn't any good, then chastise them for padding stats offensively.

Here comes the bus at full speed, and you're about to step off the curb.

catsigater
12/16/2008, 09:47 PM
You fell for it.

Folks, you can't have it both ways.

Claim the defenses you faces were so daunting, then brag 'cause you sat your QB down.

Claim OU's defense isn't any good, then chastise them for padding stats offensively.

Here comes the bus at full speed, and you're about to step off the curb.

You're tripping on your own confusion. We've faced better D's than you've faced, that's fact. If our QB sat against better Ds, that weighs in our favor, not yours.

I think OU has a fine D. But like I said, the team closest to ours is OSU and they hung 41 on you with lesser athletes than you'll see next game. You won't score anywhere near that on us.

delhalew
12/16/2008, 09:47 PM
fixed.

It has nothing do with who played,we shut the machine down, for the rest of the game.

First of all...bwaaahaa. Great fix.

Second of all...is that sinking in gators. Your stats are flawed because we not only sub out Bradford, but purposely shut down production in more than half of these games. Sounds crazy right? Well it drives me crazy, but its the only chance we have to avoid runing up the score further.

instigator
12/16/2008, 09:48 PM
Nice post Lott and I got a new sig. :)

PDXsooner
12/16/2008, 09:52 PM
I'm sensing a Nebraska-esque beatdown a la 1995.

catsigater
12/16/2008, 09:54 PM
I'm sensing a Nebraska-esque beatdown a la 1995.

Nah, I don't think UF will beat OU that badly. I'm saying UF 41 OU 27.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 09:54 PM
You're tripping on your own confusion. We've faced better D's than you've faced, that's fact. If our QB sat against better Ds, that weighs in our favor, not yours.

I think OU has a fine D. But like I said, the team closest to ours is OSU and they hung 41 on you with lesser athletes than you'll see next game. You won't score anywhere near that on us.

Put that crap on a banner and fly it around Miami next month.

I'm thinkin' you're gonna wish you didn't hire JFK Jr. as the pilot.

catsigater
12/16/2008, 10:03 PM
Put that crap on a banner and fly it around Miami next month.

I'm thinkin' you're gonna wish you didn't hire JFK Jr. as the pilot.

Naw, that's for losers, like Texas. Oh, yeah, they beat you, didn't they?

How's it feel backing into a conference title game?

When you run out of facts, start slinging trash.

delhalew
12/16/2008, 10:08 PM
It just doesn't stack up the way Florida is hoping it will. Trash is just fun. Manhandling the gators is just another day at the office.

SoonerJack
12/16/2008, 10:10 PM
Catsigater can't comprehend a 3-way tie either.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 10:11 PM

Come on d00d, you didn't go there....

whorn >>>>>>>>>>> Houston's Nutts

catsigater
12/16/2008, 10:29 PM
Catsigater can't comprehend a 3-way tie either.

Sure I can, that's like kissin' your sister and your mother. We like to settle things on the field.

delhalew
12/16/2008, 10:42 PM
LOL. I love this thread. catsigator, you may be a little misguided and delusional, but I like you.

jwlynn64
12/16/2008, 10:43 PM

Poor logic. One or both of our teams TOP is going to go down this game. Unless the gators increase their tempo, you will probably run less plays than normal, not more.

I understand that you are only on this board to try and rile up the natives but at lease do so with some sound logic. Failing that (as you have up until now), just sit back and wait for the game.

TRUE HE15MAN
12/16/2008, 10:47 PM
ok. so when florida beats oklahoma they will have the greatest defense ever?

jwlynn64
12/16/2008, 10:48 PM
Sure I can, that's like kissin' your sister and your mother. We like to settle things on the field.

Ewwwww... you take your mother and your sister on the field! Dang, I guess that's why Fullmer really left, he job was done and the SEC has all turned into Tennessee!

catsigater
12/16/2008, 10:48 PM
LOL. I love this thread. catsigator, you may be a little misguided and delusional, but I like you.

Thanks. And I hope I haven't been too much of a troll. Scratch that. I know I'm a troll, but no matter what, I give your guys all the credit in the world.

Even that remark I made about Texas was just for sport. No doubt OU deserves to be playing. I just hope our team plays as well as it has the last half of the season, and we'll let the chips fall where they may.

BTW, I just saw on the Gator board that there will be a live 3-D broadcast of the game in about a 100 theaters.

Here's the link to see if there's one near you.

http://www.cinedigmentertainment.com/

I don't think I can start threads, but you might want to put that up on the board, if it's not there already.

Here's the story on si.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/16/3-d.ap/index.html

delhalew
12/16/2008, 10:50 PM

Sorry, I dont follow your logic. When we beat Florida we will have our 8th national title.

delhalew
12/16/2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks. And I hope I haven't been too much of a troll. Scratch that. I know I'm a troll, but no matter what, I give your guys all the credit in the world.

Even that remark I made about Texas was just for sport. No doubt OU deserves to be playing. I just hope our team plays as well as it has the last half of the season, and we'll let the chips fall where they may.

BTW, I just saw on the Gator board that there will be a live 3-D broadcast of the game in about a 100 theaters.

Here's the link to see if there's one near you.

http://www.cinedigmentertainment.com/

I don't think I can start threads, but you might want to put that up on the board, if it's not there already.

Here's the story on si.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/16/3-d.ap/index.html

HAHAHA. the only theatre listed in Oklahoma is in Stillwater. All those pokes going to the theatre to watch us play is a funny image.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 11:05 PM

Given everything I have seen this year, and everything I have said on this board....

...if that happens...

They'd have a dayum good one, yup.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 11:08 PM
HAHAHA. the only theatre listed in Oklahoma is in Stillwater. All those pokes going to the theatre to watch us play is a funny image.

:stunned:

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 11:10 PM

Funny thing? I agree.

It's similar to the fact that I like Eminem.
Can't explain it, don't know why, I shouldn't, but I do.

Circle City Gator
12/16/2008, 11:34 PM
We already met the pink elephant in the room, and we beat it by 11.

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_1/FF_970_l.jpg

catsigater
12/16/2008, 11:35 PM
Poor logic. One or both of our teams TOP is going to go down this game. Unless the gators increase their tempo, you will probably run less plays than normal, not more.

I understand that you are only on this board to try and rile up the natives but at lease do so with some sound logic. Failing that (as you have up until now), just sit back and wait for the game.

You've got a point. However, it's very unlikely that both teams will have a lower TOP. Both teams average under 30 minutes total time of possession. That means it's impossible for both to have a lower TOP in this game, doesn't it?

And no, we don't have to increase our tempo. If OU does average under 30 minutes, and stays with that, that means we'll have over 30 minutes, which is above our average TOP, meaning we can run more plays without increasing tempo.

But like I said, your point is taken that just because you run more plays, doesn't mean we will.

The point of the article I "copied" was that UF scores 7.3 points every 10 plays. OU scores 6.7 points every 10 plays.

I still maintain we've faced tougher defenses (on average), and aside from some bandanna bluster, no one's put up a sound argument to refute that.

Given that, I think OU's efficiency will suffer, whether or not they run more plays than UF. They might take more snaps than UF, but it will be up to our defense to do what all but one or two Big 12 Ds were unable to.

If we keep OU under 70 plays, that increases our odds tremendously. We've got the ground game to do that. If we keep you one dimensional, that will be in our favor also.

Our task is to take away your running game without the need to commit an extra defensive back and hold on for dear life against the passing attack.

Your task is much the same, but you won't be able to stop the run. You just have to hope your dbs can keep our receivers from getting those huge YAC plays they've gotten all year.

Whether either D is up to the task remains to be seen, but I like our chances, as you do yours.

catsigater
12/16/2008, 11:37 PM
Funny thing? I agree.

It's similar to the fact that I like Eminem.
Can't explain it, don't know why, I shouldn't, but I do.

Thanks Lott. I'm having fun, and you guys know your stuff.

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2008, 12:01 AM
The point of the article I "copied" was that UF scores 7.3 points every 10 plays. OU scores 6.7 points every 10 plays.

I still maintain we've faced tougher defenses (on average), and aside from some bandanna bluster, no one's put up a sound argument to refute that.

You just did. If you average more points per play, then the defenses you have faced have given up more points per play. That means they are weaker.

Is that faulty logic? Sure. But it's the same faulty logic people use against OU. Since we demolished the #2 team in the country, they must not have really been all that good.

Bottom line, UF lost to a crap team AT HOME. OU lost to a great team on a neutral field (after leading most of the game). We can argue stats till the cows come home, but OU definitely has the "upper hand" going in to this game.

Of course, 'bama had the "upper hand" going into the SEC CCG too, so we all know what "upper hand" is worth.

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 12:05 AM
These guys do...I'm just the rodeo clown distracting the elephant.

jwlynn64
12/17/2008, 12:09 AM
Just don't bend down to get the soap when someone has the "upper hand" on you! ;)

catsigater
12/17/2008, 12:13 AM
You just did. If you average more points per play, then the defenses you have faced have given up more points per play. That means they are weaker.

Is that faulty logic? Sure. But it's the same faulty logic people use against OU. Since we demolished the #2 team in the country, they must not have really been all that good.

But that's not the argument I'm making, is it? The defenses OU has faced, on average, are not as good as the defenses UF's faced.

Bottom line, UF lost to a crap team AT HOME. OU lost to a great team on a neutral field (after leading most of the game). We can argue stats till the cows come home, but OU definitely has the "upper hand" going in to this game.

Of course, 'bama had the "upper hand" going into the SEC CCG too, so we all know what "upper hand" is worth.

Cain't argue with that.

So for what the "upper hand's" worth (which currently is that and a 1.29 will get you a coffee at Dunkin' Donuts)...

I think our offense is as good or better than any thing you've faced. I know our defense is better than anything you've faced.

Your offense is by far the most potent we've seen, but we've faced down better defenses.

Our D has to step up a lot, yours even more so.

That's really what all my blather boils down to, but if I said that up front, what the hell else would I do?

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2008, 12:24 AM
I know our defense is better than anything you've faced.

Purely subjective and statistically incorrect.

OKC-SLC
12/17/2008, 01:56 AM
This bleacherreport article posted early in this thread is silly. The case it's trying to make rests solely on the posit that more TOP equals more points. That is simply not the case, particularly when you're in the type of situation OU (and Florida probably) has been in this year--4th quarters of trying to run clock and not score. That, in fact, is the exact opposite of the crux of this bleacherreport write-up.

The college football game comes down to matchups. All the 'SEC defense > Big 12 defense' and 'Big 12 offense > SEC offense' crap has nothing to do with this game. What matters is what happens at the LOS, what UF does to Gresham, what OU does to Harvin, can OU get to/contain Tebow, can UF get to Bradford (a tall order, this season)...etc.

Also, you cannot forget that on a stage this big, one botched punt fielding decision (...I certainly don't recall such a decision or game, but I can only imagine...) can turn the tide in a big way, and then who cares how good a loss to TX is compared to a loss to Ole Miss.

OKC-SLC
12/17/2008, 01:57 AM
You won't score 30.
I'll take this bet.

Seriously.

catsigater
12/17/2008, 02:20 AM
This bleacherreport article posted early in this thread is silly. The case it's trying to make rests solely on the posit that more TOP equals more points. That is simply not the case, particularly when you're in the type of situation OU (and Florida probably) has been in this year--4th quarters of trying to run clock and not score. That, in fact, is the exact opposite of the crux of this bleacherreport write-up.

The college football game comes down to matchups. All the 'SEC defense > Big 12 defense' and 'Big 12 offense > SEC offense' crap has nothing to do with this game. What matters is what happens at the LOS, what UF does to Gresham, what OU does to Harvin, can OU get to/contain Tebow, can UF get to Bradford (a tall order, this season)...etc.

Also, you cannot forget that on a stage this big, one botched punt fielding decision (...I certainly don't recall such a decision or game, but I can only imagine...) can turn the tide in a big way, and then who cares how good a loss to TX is compared to a loss to Ole Miss.

You sure know how to take all the fun outta tossin' meaningless stats around.

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 02:52 AM
4 out of 5 dentists agree, Florida sucks.

Flagstaffsooner
12/17/2008, 03:06 AM
Let's quit talking about pink elephants. Olevet and I have to battle them every night.:D

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 04:09 AM
Man, I live in a place where I can buy 151, beer, or plain old rotgut whiskey 24-7...at Wal Mart!

The shopping center where my engraving/trophy store is has ...and this is in order by storefront...a dry cleaner, a gun store, my place, a yankee cranky handjob hoey massage parlor, a baseball supply store, a payday loan joint, an asian nail salon, a head shop complete with bongs and crackpipes, a bar, atc.

Across the street is almost the same lineup, with a automotive garage replacing our trophy store.

This is all next door to a school. Within a mile of there are at least 4 more head shops, about 15 places to buy hard liquor, about 50 where you can buy beer up to 11.1% (convenience stores, grocery stores, and wal mart).

Within one mile of my apartment are 3 hotels with "hourly rates", 3 full on liquor stores, 5 grocery stores with full liquor service, about 10 neighborhood casinos (meaning a thousand rooms or so and countless slots, sports books, free booze for players, and 24 hour pay for it booze). There are hookers out pretty much 24-7, about 75% of legal age, and about 80% the sex they appear to be.

By crossing the street any direction, any hour I can buy a 24 oz 11.1% beer even if i'm trashed and drink it walking home with no chance of a PI. On my walk I'll see 15 "newspaper" stands advertising "escorts" or "straight to your room strippers" which again, are about 80% the sex they appear to be.

Back when I rode the bus into work I'd see other seemingly rational people irrationally slamming 2-3 of these 8.1-12.1 beers ON THEIR WAY TO WORK!

I'm currently drinking an 8.1 24 oz after 3 of the 10.1s and I report for work in 7 hours 55 minutes. There are at least 2 six packs in the fridge at work, our way of waving rush charges for "cool" customers. On tough days we pop 'em about an hour before close and to this day no one has so much as blinked an eye.

So yeah...I occasionall battle pink elephants, pink SUC trojans, and the traffic and people in a city that pretty much encourages the behaviors listed above. and this is one of the counties in Nevada where prostitution is NOT legal! lmao

SoonerInFla
12/17/2008, 05:46 AM

You won't score 30.

In the first half?

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 06:00 AM
I hate having a guy that had to get all his stats in the first half...It made the race so close and allowed a few pansies to actually believe when they should have been bowing and sobbing.

Can you guys imkagine if he woulda had the 15-20 more touchdowns he would if we hadn't let up? The points? Assuming 20 more TDs we'd have been around 840 points on the season!

Screw this stat padding, running up the score BS...I challenge anyone to show that we really ran up the score.

come on gatorbaits...Actually give me the numbers and not just the last game or 2.

Come on whiny whorns...prove to me that Bob was greedier in the 4th than mack.

I'll get no reasonable reply because your claims are a myth, thus my napping in the 4th just like our offense and our starters.

misplaced_sooner
12/17/2008, 08:05 AM

Hmmm... You really want to bring up the team each lost to? Seriously?

Ole Miss, huh? At home? Unranked...? I guess Teblow didn't play as hard as he could in that game....

You brought it up.

My Opinion Matters
12/17/2008, 08:44 AM
Thank God the game is settled on the field and not on message boards.

OKC-SLC
12/17/2008, 10:00 AM
You sure know how to take all the fun outta tossin' meaningless stats around.

heh.

Howzit
12/17/2008, 10:22 AM
Sure I can, that's like kissin' your sister and your mother.

I'll have to trust you on what that's like, but I'm sure you know.

eww.

OKC-SLC
12/17/2008, 10:31 AM
I'll have to trust you on what that's like, but I'm sure you know.

eww.

I have it on good authority that kissing his mother and sister is awesome.

BornandBred
12/17/2008, 10:32 AM
Man, I live in a place where I can buy 151, beer, or plain old rotgut whiskey 24-7...at Wal Mart!

The shopping center where my engraving/trophy store is has ...and this is in order by storefront...a dry cleaner, a gun store, my place, a yankee cranky handjob hoey massage parlor, a baseball supply store, a payday loan joint, an asian nail salon, a head shop complete with bongs and crackpipes, a bar, atc.

Across the street is almost the same lineup, with a automotive garage replacing our trophy store.

This is all next door to a school. Within a mile of there are at least 4 more head shops, about 15 places to buy hard liquor, about 50 where you can buy beer up to 11.1% (convenience stores, grocery stores, and wal mart).

Within one mile of my apartment are 3 hotels with "hourly rates", 3 full on liquor stores, 5 grocery stores with full liquor service, about 10 neighborhood casinos (meaning a thousand rooms or so and countless slots, sports books, free booze for players, and 24 hour pay for it booze). There are hookers out pretty much 24-7, about 75% of legal age, and about 80% the sex they appear to be.

By crossing the street any direction, any hour I can buy a 24 oz 11.1% beer even if i'm trashed and drink it walking home with no chance of a PI. On my walk I'll see 15 "newspaper" stands advertising "escorts" or "straight to your room strippers" which again, are about 80% the sex they appear to be.

Back when I rode the bus into work I'd see other seemingly rational people irrationally slamming 2-3 of these 8.1-12.1 beers ON THEIR WAY TO WORK!

I'm currently drinking an 8.1 24 oz after 3 of the 10.1s and I report for work in 7 hours 55 minutes. There are at least 2 six packs in the fridge at work, our way of waving rush charges for "cool" customers. On tough days we pop 'em about an hour before close and to this day no one has so much as blinked an eye.

So yeah...I occasionall battle pink elephants, pink SUC trojans, and the traffic and people in a city that pretty much encourages the behaviors listed above. and this is one of the counties in Nevada where prostitution is NOT legal! lmao

I worked in a trophy store in Norman for a summer, you hiring? Sounds like the kind of work environment I'd flourish in.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 10:42 AM

Yes, there is an argument. Our starters, including our QB, have missed 8 quarters because of blowouts. That's 2 games. So take 2 games away from those numbers, and your logic is flawed...again.

JGATOR
12/17/2008, 10:51 AM
I guess you think scoring 70 on citadel, a good offensive showing?

Well, The Citadel did beat a team OU played.

birddog
12/17/2008, 11:05 AM

uh wow. that is about as good ol boy as it gets.

soonerfan715
12/17/2008, 11:12 AM

Catsigater-You keep saying Floridas offense is close to OSU and they hung 41 points on OU like you dont realize that we hung 61 points on them. OU won that game. ;)

catsigater
12/17/2008, 11:22 AM
Catsigater-You keep saying Floridas offense is close to OSU and they hung 41 points on OU like you dont realize that we hung 61 points on them. OU won that game. ;)

No, I keep making the point that they run a similar OFFENSE to ours - adding in the point that we have a much better defense, and mo' better athletes all-around.

We'll score at least 41, and you won't see the upside of 30, after we've defenestrated Bradford &Co.

S'wot I'm sayin'.

Hot Rod
12/17/2008, 11:44 AM
Can't you just say that Florida hasn't seen an offense like OU, and that OU hasn't seen a defense like Florida and that it's going to be a good game?

All this comparing OSU to Florida is a little silly. They play the same style offense, yes. And how do you know they have better athletes? Cmon, just say it's going to be an exciting game.

soonerfan715
12/17/2008, 11:49 AM
No, I keep making the point that they run a similar OFFENSE to ours - adding in the point that we have a much better defense, and mo' better athletes all-around.

We'll score at least 41, and you won't see the upside of 30, after we've defenestrated Bradford &Co.

S'wot I'm sayin'.

Ok, we'll see January 8th won't we?

perculator
12/17/2008, 11:51 AM

dude.....you guys let nutt-sack beat you on your home field.
out of all the one-loss teams, florida is the one who doesn't belong in miami.
all that fspn pumpin' has your heads inflated. you ain't all that.
all teboners tears ain't gonna keep fspn from sayin that we kicked your ***.

OKC-SLC
12/17/2008, 12:00 PM
and you won't see the upside of 30, after we've defenestrated Bradford &Co.

I'm serious when I say I'll take that bet. Is this merely smack talk, or is this your actual projection?

Because I'd like some action on that.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 12:04 PM
I'm serious when I say I'll take that bet. Is this merely smack talk, or is this your actual projection?

Because I'd like some action on that.

Me too.

I'll throw a grand on that spread. Catisgator, exchange paypals?

catsigater
12/17/2008, 12:08 PM
Me too.

I'll throw a grand on that spread. Catisgator, exchange paypals?

Sorry Boyz, I don't gamble.

But I will come back for my humble pie, if we lose.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 12:09 PM

Strong words, but can't back it up. I see how it is.

The Maestro
12/17/2008, 12:15 PM

"SEC! SEC!" Always covering those bases...just in case.

catsigater
12/17/2008, 12:22 PM
"SEC! SEC!" Always covering those bases...just in case.

Nope, I just don't gamble. But I'm not hedging.

41-27

OKC-SLC
12/17/2008, 12:24 PM
I never bet on OU games--they are far interesting enough as is.

But I really, really, really like our chances to score >30--enough to lift that rule temporarily.

catsigater
12/17/2008, 12:30 PM
I never bet on OU games--they are far interesting enough as is.

But I really, really, really like our chances to score >30--enough to lift that rule temporarily.

If I were an OU fan and some Gator troll was making that prediction, I'd feel the same. ;)

Pieces Hit
12/17/2008, 12:45 PM
All I know is - I read a lot of similar smack here several years ago before the game we will not mention.

No one knows what's gonna happen for sure.

Truthfully, It's a great match-up and I'm just hoping we win.

A Texucks Tech-esque beat down would be nice to shut everyone's yap for awhile though.

catsigater
12/17/2008, 12:47 PM
No one knows what's gonna happen for sure.

Truthfully, It's a great match-up...

True

jmpotts
12/17/2008, 02:53 PM
Strong words, but can't back it up. I see how it is.
hmmm....reading isn't your strong point obviously, because cats didn't say he would bet anything (your fan(s) did that. :rolleyes:

He made an OPINION, which he is entitled to do, and like a man, he said he would return to eat his humble pie if wrong. Why dont you do the same and we'll see if you man up too?

Come to the Gatorsports.com message board, or the GoGators board and make some predictions there ( http://gogators.freeforums.org/portal.php )

catsigater
12/17/2008, 03:08 PM
hmmm....reading isn't your strong point obviously, because cats didn't say he would bet anything (your fan(s) did that. :rolleyes:

He made an OPINION, which he is entitled to do, and like a man, he said he would return to eat his humble pie if wrong. Why dont you do the same and we'll see if you man up too?

Come to the Gatorsports.com message board, or the GoGators board and make some predictions there ( http://gogators.freeforums.org/portal.php

BOARD PRIDE!

Knippz
12/17/2008, 03:24 PM

Come to the Gatorsports.com message board, or the GoGators board and make some predictions there ( http://gogators.freeforums.org/portal.php

No, it's because your fans are all talk, but when I tell them to put their money where their mouth is..."Uh, no I don't bet." "I'm not putting that kind of money up." "I don't bet on my team."

The excuses come roaring in.

Flagstaffsooner
12/17/2008, 03:32 PM

I went over there and everybody seemed to be more concerned about nascar than CFB. Get a clue reptiles.:confused:

NYC Poke
12/17/2008, 03:33 PM

Really? Where?

I'll give Tebow a slight edge at QB because of better decision-making. Tebow and Robinson are both good-not-great passers, and Zac is much faster and a better runner than Tebow.

Kendeall Hunter was fifth in the nation in rushing, with over 1500 yards and averaging 6.7 yards per carry.

Dez Bryant was a Biletnikoff finalist, with more yards on fewer catches and just as many TDs as winner Michael Crabtree.

Brandon Pettigrew will be a starting NFL TE.

The O-line, led by T Rusell Okung, who will probably leave early for the draft, was one of the top rated units in the nation.

Where are your better athletes?

12/17/2008, 03:37 PM
OU reminds me a lot of the '79 FSU team OU beat, a whole lot of offense but not a championship defense. Over the last decade or more the team that won the title was the team that had the best defense on the field and one of the best in the nation, regardless of how prolific their offensive stats were. Same thing with Super Bowl winners.

Teams with the best defense wins, it is that simple. In any championship football game both teams have enough offense. But the team that has more defense always wins. Always. Dick Vermil when his greatest show on turf got stopped by a wet behind the ears Tom Brady and a merely serviceable running game. This game is going to be like ground hog day for Sooner fan. You play a bowl game...you lose.

catsigater
12/17/2008, 03:46 PM
Really? Where?

I'll give Tebow a slight edge at QB because of better decision-making. Tebow and Robinson are both good-not-great passers, and Zac is much faster and a better runner than Tebow.

Kendeall Hunter was fifth in the nation in rushing, with over 1500 yards and averaging 6.7 yards per carry.

Dez Bryant was a Biletnikoff finalist, with more yards on fewer catches and just as many TDs as winner Michael Crabtree.

The O-line, led by T Rusell Okung, who will probably leave early for the draft, was one of the top rated units in the nation.

On Defense.

Which is why I said we'll score the same as OSU (41), and keep you under 30.

Kendall, Toston and Robinson are men, no doubt and Johnson's good too.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 03:48 PM
OU reminds me a lot of the '79 FSU team OU beat, a whole lot of offense but not a championship defense. Over the last decade or more the team that won the title was the team that had the best defense on the field and one of the best in the nation, regardless of how prolific their offensive stats were. Same thing with Super Bowl winners.

Teams with the best defense wins, it is that simple. In any championship football game both teams have enough offense. But the team that has more defense always wins. Always. Dick Vermil when his greatest show on turf got stopped by a wet behind the ears Tom Brady and a merely serviceable running game. This game is going to be like ground hog day for Sooner fan. You play a bowl game...you lose.

Your argument is flawed, like the rest of your fans'. If defense ALWAYS wins championships, then explain to me why the Colts beat the Bears a couple of years ago. Or the Pats beating the Panthers. Or USC...

What's really funny is that you claim that history doesn't matter, yet you bring up that defenses historically usually win. Amazing, you really are as bad as a whorn.

NYC Poke
12/17/2008, 03:53 PM
On Defense.

Which is why I said we'll score the same as OSU (41), and keep you under 30.

Kendall, Toston and Robinson are men, no doubt and Johnson's good too.

I'll gladly concede that you have better athletes on defense. I took issue with the implication that you have better athletes on offense. This is not that I have a dim view of Florida's offense (I think this will be a great game, one of the matchups I've most anticipated in the last several years), just that OSU is exceptionally loaded this year on offense. Except for Pettigrew and perhaps Okung, we return all of it, too, so keep an eye on us for '09. A team on the rise, and all that. ;)

Pieces Hit
12/17/2008, 03:56 PM
You might as well mention it's a "home" game played in your climate too.

And I bet Lee Corso will be there as well.

And what if there's an airplane with a banner flying around???

Dang.

catsigater
12/17/2008, 03:58 PM
I'll gladly concede that you have better athletes on defense. I took issue with the implication that you have better athletes on offense. This is not that I have a dim view of Florida's offense (I think this will be a great game, one of the matchups I've most anticipated in the last several years), just that OSU is exceptionally loaded this year on offense. Except for Pettigrew and perhaps Okung, we return all of it, too, so keep an eye on us for '09. A team on the rise, and all that. ;)

I do watch a little Big 12, since I currently live in KC. But you're right, I made it sound like we were vastly superior on offense to OSU, and that's not the case.

I think we have more talented athletes on offense as well, but you can only put 11 on the field, and OSU matches up with anyone on offense.

Don't they, Sooners?

Flagstaffsooner
12/17/2008, 03:59 PM
Hush, pokey, you are going to confuse the reptilian mind.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 04:02 PM
I do watch a little Big 12, since I currently live in KC. But you're right, I made it sound like we were vastly superior on offense to OSU, and that's not the case.

I think we have more talented athletes on offense as well, but you can only put 11 on the field, and OSU matches up with anyone on offense.

Don't they, Sooners?

Obviously not, because we scored 61 and they scored 41.

NYC Poke
12/17/2008, 04:02 PM
BTW, one of those TDs we scored was a kickoff return by Perrish Cox, one of the nation's leading returners. I don't think you'll get any argument from the Sooners that kickoff coverage is an area they could use some improvement.

Okie35
12/17/2008, 04:08 PM

false...

8timechamps
12/17/2008, 04:11 PM
Here's some things that most people (non Sooner folks of course) tend to dismiss.

1. We played the #2 ranked defense in the country (TCU), and scored 35 points on them...that's with Stoops shutting down the machine. Everyone wants to say "TCU isn't that good, they play in a weak conference". BS! They played us (record breaking offense), BYU and BCS participant Utah. Their defense is for real, and better than any SEC member (including Florida).

2. More than half of our games included "shutting down the machine" early in the second half. Just because Bradford played, doesn't tell the whole story. How many times did we run dive play after dive play? A lot. Most of our rushing attempts came in the second half this year.

3. In reality, we have no idea how we will do against Florida, or how they will do against us. As is always the case in bowl games, the team you face isn't the same team that finished the season. All you can do is hope you're team plays to their capabilities. Something we (OU) haven't done in the past couple of years.

Okie35
12/17/2008, 04:11 PM

Don't they, Sooners?

sure you have harvin who is a great athlete but as far as a set position... dez bryant is better than ANY of your receivers and hunter is better than ANY of your running backs but yea you have better athletes...

TRUE HE15MAN
12/17/2008, 04:12 PM

I don't think that tex tech is terrible just because you guys blew them out. I think just as most of b12 teams they have a stellar offense and an average defense. & the thing about offense is its a lot about rhythm, & tech had some missed opportunities early & you guys capitalized on it and they were "punch drunk" & reeling against the ropes at half time & then you guys came back out and stepped on they're throats.
talkin **** on you guys defense is easy to do because when you guys play its like a basketball game up & down the field. is it bad defense or great offense? who honestly knows, does the SEC realy have great defenses or poor offenses? the only way we will know is to have a match up between the 2 conferences, & this year when the talk is so loud we get two TT vs miss. & UF vs OU. it will absolutely be by far the toughest game for either team. jan 8 can't come soon enough.
GO GATORS!!!

BLUE!!!

G8trGr8t
12/17/2008, 04:13 PM
6.7 yards per carry? Is that all. That would be fifth of the running backs on our team.

Our fourth leading rb, Moody, averages 7.3 yards per carry. It is just that there are three guys ahead of him all averaing more yards per carry that stops him from having big season totals. If we fed just one guy, he would be pushing 1500 plus yards too but Demps (7.9), Rainey (8.4), and Harvin (8.8) all get carries too.

Hernandez is another tight end that will play on Sunday.

Percy will definitely play on Sunday at WR. He is a Steve Smith clone but faster. The rest of the WR corp is solid with lots of speed but even more impressive, solid downfield blocking. We beat Alabama without Percy in our receiving corp so the guys can get it done.

OSU has nothing like punt returner Brandon James, lightning in a bottle. Do not give him a crease unless you want to try and get more plays in.

I would put our OL up against anybody. They manhandled Alabama's dl pretty good as well as LSU's and both of those teams had a lot of talent on their DL.

But as Catsi said, the big difference is defense. Watch our corners and realize that they are a freshman and a sophomore. Our LB's are as fast as your rb's (especially with Murray out) and will not have a problem sticking with your TE in coverage. The DL is better this year and full of sophomores and freshmen. Carlos Dunlap and Will Green are speed rushers off the end that will probably give OU line fits with their speed just like Derrick Harvey did to Ohio State in 06 BCS game. Will Hill, the #1 safety in the country in 2008 recruiting, cannot get on the field due to the outstanding play of our two safeties, Black and Wright.

No way Ok. State compares to UF athletically, not even close.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 04:17 PM
6.7 yards per carry? Is that all. That would be fifth of the running backs on our team.

Our fourth leading rb, Moody, averages 7.3 yards per carry. It is just that there are three guys ahead of him all averaing more yards per carry that stops him from having big season totals. If we fed just one guy, he would be pushing 1500 plus yards too but Demps (7.9), Rainey (8.4), and Harvin (8.8) all get carries too.

Hernandez is another tight end that will play on Sunday.

Percy will definitely play on Sunday at WR. He is a Steve Smith clone but faster. The rest of the WR corp is solid with lots of speed but even more impressive, solid downfield blocking. We beat Alabama without Percy in our receiving corp so the guys can get it done.

OSU has nothing like punt returner Brandon James, lightning in a bottle. Do not give him a crease unless you want to try and get more plays in.

I would put our OL up against anybody. They manhandled Alabama's dl pretty good as well as LSU's and both of those teams had a lot of talent on their DL.

But as Catsi said, the big difference is defense. Watch our corners and realize that they are a freshman and a sophomore. Our LB's are as fast as your rb's (especially with Murray out) and will not have a problem sticking with your TE in coverage. The DL is better this year and full of sophomores and freshmen. Carlos Dunlap and Will Green are speed rushers off the end that will probably give OU line fits with their speed just like Derrick Harvey did to Ohio State in 06 BCS game. Will Hill, the #1 safety in the country in 2008 recruiting, cannot get on the field due to the outstanding play of our two safeties, Black and Wright.

Trust me, we know your CBs are underclassmen. Now watch them get picked apart.

Also, your D-line didn't even give Bama fits. You really expect them to give OUrs fits?

Pieces Hit
12/17/2008, 04:19 PM
Gosh Mister Gayta, you're awesome.

DCGator
12/17/2008, 04:19 PM
Really? Where?

Nice of you to give a Heisman trophy winner the benefit of the doubt

We spread the ball around a little more. We have: Chris Rainey - 673 yds, 7.9 ypc, Jeff Demps - 594 yds, 8.4 ypc, Percy Harvin - 543 yds, 8.8 ypc. If we gave the ball to one main RB, their stats would be better. All of these guys run a sub 4.4 BTW. Not to mention Tebow with 682 yards.

Dez Bryant is very good. He caught twice as much as any other receiver for OSU, and they had 3 other receivers with over 10 catches. It might surprise you to know that we had 12 players with over 10 catches, and none with over 20. You are not going to get a Bilentnikoff winner that way, but it's rather hard to defend when you can't lock down one star player to stop a team.

You obviously have not watch any of our games. Aaron Hernandez will be a starting NFL TE.

We have a very balanced OL, OSU allowed 14 sacks in 2008, UF allowed 16 sacks (in one more game) in 2008.

All over the field.

Lott's Bandana
12/17/2008, 04:23 PM

...well then, too bad you're not playing them.

How does Missississississiississississippi stack up, "athletically"?

Pieces Hit
12/17/2008, 04:28 PM
Ohhhhhh that's funny.

2SHAY

NYC Poke
12/17/2008, 04:37 PM

Dez did okay returning punts, also. Returned a couple for 6.

December 14, 2008

NCAA FBS Team Punt Returns
Team Tot Yds Avg

Cent. Michigan 18 372 20.7

Arizona 31 572 18.5

Oklahoma St. 20 368 18.4

Georgia 23 384 16.7

New Mexico 22 339 15.4

Arizona St. 26 389 15.0

Fresno St. 24 349 14.5

Florida 41 591 14.4

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/ateam-preturns.htm?loc=interstitialskip

BombaySooner
12/17/2008, 04:55 PM
Your argument is flawed, like the rest of your fans'. If defense ALWAYS wins championships, then explain to me why the Colts beat the Bears a couple of years ago. Or the Pats beating the Panthers. Or USC...

What's really funny is that you claim that history doesn't matter, yet you bring up that defenses historically usually win. Amazing, you really are as bad as a whorn.

Three way tie for being bad? Whorns , gators n Aggie. Lets give this one to the Whorns. Not that they will stop whinning.

MikeInNorman
12/17/2008, 04:56 PM
I must say, NYC Poke is handing these Florida Aggy their a$$es.

Please, carry on. :pop:

Pieces Hit
12/17/2008, 04:56 PM
Come to think of it ~

Weren't the Gaytas in a tie with Mrs. Ippi and the BCS had to declare the winner?

I mean you lost to them but that's a classy team there.

Where's my plane....

G8trGr8t
12/17/2008, 04:57 PM
...well then, too bad you're not playing them.

How does Missississississiississississippi stack up, "athletically"?

I realize that we are not playing OSU, I was just answering his question.

If you spot Ole Miss 3 turnovers inside your 40 and miss an extra point, they do pretty good. Alabama only beat them by 4 and Ole Miss won their last 5 games so they are no slouch.

I guess we will find out how the SEC fares against Big 12 when Ole Miss and Texas Tech meet up in the Cotton Bowl, although I expect TT to win (pending turnovers) there because Ole Miss doesn't have enough strength in their defensive backfield.

If we spot OU three turnovers inside our 40, we will probably lose that game too.

How did the Loooonghorns stack up against OU? I say that UT is the closest thing to UF that OU has faced this year with respect to athletic talent.

Pieces Hit
12/17/2008, 05:03 PM
If pigs had wings we'd need better umbrellas.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 05:04 PM
I realize that we are not playing OSU, I was just answering his question.

If you spot Ole Miss 3 turnovers inside your 40 and miss an extra point, they do pretty good. Alabama only beat them by 4 and Ole Miss won their last 5 games so they are no slouch.

If we spot OU three turnovers inside our 40, we will probably lose that game too.

How did the Loooonghorns stack up against OU? I say that UT is the closest thing to UF that OU has faced this year with respect to athletic talent.

I'd say that #3 UT stacks up quite a bit better than newly ranked #25 Ole Miss does.

OU_Sooners75
12/17/2008, 05:08 PM

LMFAO.

Florida does not have anyone as good as Dez Bryant. And Zac Robinson is very comparable to Tim Tebow.

Also, The OSU team has a much better Oline than Florida does.

Don't worry though, when the game is in OUr control and we are confortable, Stoops will place Joey Halzle in the game. I am thinking that willb e by half time.

OU will get 4 turnovers, and I say double Tebow's INTs on the season. Meanint 2 INTs.
OU will have maybe 1 turnover.

OU 56
UF 34

NYC Poke
12/17/2008, 05:17 PM
Nice of you to give a Heisman trophy winner the benefit of the doubt

Sorry for not bowing at your Tebow-alter. I'm basing my opinion on results, not ESPN hype. Don't believe Tebow and Robinson are comparable? Let's look at the numbers.

Tebow

Rushing
GP ATT GAIN LOSS NET AVG TD LG AVG/G
13 154 682 118 564 3.7 12 26 43.4

Passing
GP EFFIC COMP-ATT-INT PCT YDS TD LG AVG/G
13 176.74 174-268-2 64.9 2515 28 70 193.5

Robinson

Rushing
GP ATT GAIN LOSS NET AVG TD LG AVG/G
12 130 635 128 508 3.9 7 31 42.3

Passing
GP EFFIC COMP-ATT-INT PCT YDS TD LG AVG/G
12 178.01 177-264-8 67.0 2735 24 95 227.9

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/stats/team.pdf

http://www.okstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1422&SPID=143&DB_OEM_ID=200&ATCLID=1576851

Looks pretty similar, doesn't it? And Zac was able to do that without being surrounded by what I am informed is the clearly superior talent of the Florida Gators. What's it like learning that your Annointed One has similar stats to what many believe is the 6th-best QB in the Big XII?

SoonerTank
12/17/2008, 05:23 PM
Looks pretty similar, doesn't it? And Zac was able to do that without being surrounded by what I am informed is the clearly superior talent of the Florida Gators. What's it like learning that your Annointed One has similar stats to what many believe is the 6th-best QB in the Big XII?[/QUOTE]

You're forgetting Zac did this against the vastly inferior defenses in the Big 12.;)

Knippz
12/17/2008, 05:26 PM
Sorry for not bowing at your Tebow-alter. I'm basing my opinion on results, not ESPN hype. Don't believe Tebow and Robinson are comparable? Let's look at the numbers.

http://www.okstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1422&SPID=143&DB_OEM_ID=200&ATCLID=1576851

Looks pretty similar, doesn't it? And Zac was able to do that without being surrounded by what I am informed is the clearly superior talent of the Florida Gators. What's it like learning that your Annointed One has similar stats to what many believe is the 6th-best QB in the Big XII?

Wow, Gator fans getting owned by Okie St. fans. FUNNY!

GG84
12/17/2008, 05:38 PM
Since all the OU fans are just randomly chiming in and declaring victory in arguments that they are clearly not winning, I thought I'd add...

lol good job Gators, you sure are putting a whooping on all these Sooner posters. WE WILL WIN THIS INTERNET BATTLE.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 05:42 PM
Since all the OU fans are just randomly chiming in and declaring victory in arguments that they are clearly not winning, I thought I'd add...

lol good job Gators, you sure are putting a whooping on all these Sooner posters. WE WILL WIN THIS INTERNET BATTLE.

I haven't lost a battle on this board yet, and I NEVER WILL. Now leave troll.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 05:44 PM

The real funny thing is, Gator fans are getting OWNED by Okie St. fans, on OUr board.

BombaySooner
12/17/2008, 05:44 PM

Please try and beat the Pokes in your internet battle first. :pop:

The Maestro
12/17/2008, 05:48 PM
How does anyone claim internet message board bickering winners?

Bottom line - Florida has The DaVinci Code at QB, they have fresh, fast backs we can't catch cause they are so damn fast but none of them plays that much, their defense is battle tested from the likes of that stiff at LSU and whoever Auburn plays at QB and OU hasn't seen competition like this. OU has a world class offense and their defense sucks cause they have been going against crappy teams like 6 teams ranked in the BCS top 25.

This is already getting old...stats...back and forth repeating the same arguments...not sure what we can say new for the next 22 days.

BornandBred
12/17/2008, 05:50 PM

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

MikeInNorman
12/17/2008, 05:57 PM

Yeah, Poke, but Zac didn't have to play QB for the fastest team in the universe while simultaneously raising Bobby Bowden from the dead.

Now THAT'S Heisman quarterbacking, right there.

DCGator
12/17/2008, 05:59 PM

Yeah, looks pretty similar, although I doubt it would be if they faced the same level of defenses. OSU faced the following ranked pass D's:

23, 49, 74, 91, 93, 95, 99, 102, 108, 109, 115, 117

Yeah, and that #23? Troy.

UF faced the following ranked pass D's:
3, 4, 8, 12, 18, 21, 29, 33, 54, 55, 62, 81

I'd love to see the number comparison if the opposing team D's were reversed. I also noticed you didn't comment on any of the other points I made about RBs and WR (numbers made against tougher Ds).

12/17/2008, 06:13 PM

You got it. We concede the internet battle. You guys are good at it.

delhalew
12/17/2008, 06:27 PM
I suppose in order to have these conversations you have to employ stats. Looking up the stats can be largest part of a month long anticipation period. A big part of the fun we're having here. I just want to say don't lean on them to hard.

Stats relating to our offense: One more time, SHUTTING DOWN THE MACHINE. I will assume that you dont believe us, because I dont think your to stupid to have noticed this statements repeated apperances in this thread. We have laid back and cruised to the point that I was afraid when we played Texas we wouldn't remember how to play 4 quarters. Some may say that was the case.

Point being I am not going to break out your offenses stats, because I am giving you the benifit of the doubt, that like us us, you purposefully didn't play to your full potential.

Your unfaltering confidence in your defense: I am hoping your D is all it is hyped up to be, because otherwise this game will over too quickly.

KNOW THIS. Your D will not perform as well as you expect.
1. You will have hell trying to sub out. Thus you have either overextended players or give us yards via penalty.
2. The pace will be hard to adjust to successfully. No offense in the history of college ball has been as successful with the hurry up, no huddle, ect.
3. SAM: You may never face a qb that is as good at knowing your D before he snaps the ball. You can combat this,but we can counter right back.

I'm just saying...breathe deep and think about it.

catsigater
12/17/2008, 06:28 PM

Bottom line - Florida has The DaVinci Code at QB, they have fresh, fast backs we can't catch cause they are so damn fast but none of them plays that much, their defense is battle tested from the likes of that stiff at LSU and whoever Auburn plays at QB and OU hasn't seen competition like this. OU has a world class offense and their defense sucks cause they have been going against crappy teams like 6 teams ranked in the BCS top 25.

This is already getting old...stats...back and forth repeating the same arguments...not sure what we can say new for the next 22 days.

Yeah, you're right about that. I should've waited another couple weeks to come over here. I'm running out of ways to rile folks up.

So, unless I see something that smacks of complete ignorance about UF, I'm going to just lurk for awhile.

I'll leave you with this.

41-27.

If we lose, I'll be back. If we win, I'll probably stay away.

I'm sure I won't be missed, but I've had fun. I do have to say this is one of the more knowledgeable boards I've visited, and I enjoyed gettin' edumacated about yer team.

Good Luck!

delhalew
12/17/2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah, you're right about that. I should've waited another couple weeks to come over here. I'm running out of ways to rile folks up.

So, unless I see something that smacks of complete ignorance about UF, I'm going to just lurk for awhile.

I'll leave you with this.

41-27.

If we lose, I'll be back. If we win, I'll probably stay away.

I'm sure I won't be missed, but I've had fun. I do have to say this is one of the more knowledgeable boards I've visited, and I enjoyed gettin' edumacated about yer team.

Good Luck!

So what now I have talk enough smack to draw you back in? I've got ignorance to spare buddy.

NYC Poke
12/17/2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah, looks pretty similar, although I doubt it would be if they faced the same level of defenses. OSU faced the following ranked pass D's:

23, 49, 74, 91, 93, 95, 99, 102, 108, 109, 115, 117

Yeah, and that #23? Troy.

UF faced the following ranked pass D's:
3, 4, 8, 12, 18, 21, 29, 33, 54, 55, 62, 81

I'd love to see the number comparison if the opposing team D's were reversed. I also noticed you didn't comment on any of the other points I made about RBs and WR (numbers made against tougher Ds).

That "Big XII defense" is a chicken argument is a chicken/egg thing and any sensible observer knows that. And scoff if you will at Troy, but for a time they were up by 28 over LSU of the mighty SEC. The Tigers had a total of 340 yards vs. Troy. We had 612 and the game was never close. We allowed 24 points against Troy, but LSU of the mighty SEC allowed them to score 31.

With that in mind, I would have gladly faced the likes of LSU, or Tennessee, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Auburn, etc. week in and week out. It sure would have beat playing 4 teams then-ranked in the top 3 in the country, with all except one on the road. I've said it elsewhere on this board, Oklahoma State would have a better record than 9-3 this year if it had played in the SEC. And I'm looking forward to our season opener next year against Georgia.

As for backs, our top three backs rushed for 2611 yards. Your top 5 rushers (I didn't include QBs since we've already covered that) rushed for 2346, with one extra game. Your top 2 receivers, Murphy and Harvin, combined for fewer yards (1206) than Dez (1313). They each averaged 17.0 ypc, with Bryant averaging 17.7. And a lot of the season Pettigrew (who is much better than Alexander in all facets of the game, won't even get into that) was not playing/playing hurt, allowing defenses to constantly double up on Bryant. Yes, you did spread the ball more, but you go with what works. The Gators had 2764 receiving yards, we had 2799, with one less game.

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2008, 06:45 PM
I should've waited another couple weeks to come over here. I'm running out of ways to rile folks up.

Dude, you're gonna have to work on ur internetz skillz.

I haven't read all of your posts, so forgive me if you've already covered these lucrative trolling grounds:

1. What's a Sooner? (The question is not trollish, but the answer will give you plenty of ammo)

2. Name calling ("Mobilhoma", "Land Thieves", "Dirt Burglars", etc.)

3. State smack (geography, population, economy, etc.)

4. Recent BCS bowl results

5. All-time record vs OU (oh, wait, that only works for UT fans)

6. You've not seen [insert your team's strength here] before (nevermind, that one seems to be well covered).

7. You can't even beat [insert embarrassing loss here], how are you going to beat us? (doh, that one doesn't work in your favor this year)

8. Academic standards, graduation rates, etc.

9. Relative popularity of each teams colors.

10. Celebrity endorsements for each team.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you put your mind to it, I'm sure you can come up with some more.

NYC Poke
12/17/2008, 06:51 PM
Arrests and NCAA sanctions?

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2008, 06:52 PM
Good ones! I block those out - for obvious reasons.

Circle City Gator
12/17/2008, 06:56 PM

I'd have to agree with you on what HAS been said, but that does not mean there is nothing left to discuss.

Here is a topic- Who on your team has to have a stand-out, game-of-his-life, coming-of-age game, and why? I'll even go first.

Joe Haden and Carlos Dunlap

Carlos Dunlap, sophomore defensive end 6'6", 250. 9 sacks, 12 tackles for loss, 1 pass broken up, 6 QB hurries, 1 fumble recovery, and 2 kicks blocked. He is a very fast athletic guy. Reports on his 40 vary, from 4.6 to 4.7. He was fast enough to be the number DE in the country coming out of high school and to play kick returner on his HS team. He needs to use speed against OU's size to put pressure on Bradford, who can pick anybody apart if given long enough. IF the pseed rush does not work expect stunts to free him up the middle.

Joe Haden, sophomore cornerback. Extremely athletic, but has been beaten. Of our two corners, he is the most vulnerable. That said, he ain't bad. As a freshman he was selected to the Sporting News Freshman All-America Team, CollegeFootballNews.com Freshman Team and was chosen for the Coaches’ All-SEC Freshman team. But Julius Jones was getting his yards on Haden, not Janoris Jenkins (who is freakin' AMAZING, especially for a true freshman). Haden needs to stick in coverage long enough for Dunlap to get going, just like Dunlap needs to get going long enough to take the pressure off Haden. On defense, those two guys are, IMHO, going to have to had Derrick Harvey against Ohio State sorts of games.

How about you? Who has to really step up for OU to win?

OU_Sooners75
12/17/2008, 06:59 PM
I am still waiting for a Gator fan who thinks the Big 12 and their offenses are good because the defenses suck, to explain the following to me...

Texas 52
Arkansas 10

Florida 38
Arkansas 7

I mean, if the Big 12 defenses suck why is it, the one team in the SEC has the balls to schedule a Big 12 team, only scored 3 more points and allowed 14 more than the mighty Gaytors?

BornandBred
12/17/2008, 07:01 PM
Hottest cheerleaders? We lose this one, I'm afraid.

Circle City Gator
12/17/2008, 07:05 PM
Dude, you're gonna have to work on ur internetz skillz.

I haven't read all of your posts, so forgive me if you've already covered these lucrative trolling grounds:

1. What's a Sooner? (The question is not trollish, but the answer will give you plenty of ammo)

2. Name calling ("Mobilhoma", "Land Thieves", "Dirt Burglars", etc.)

3. State smack (geography, population, economy, etc.)

4. Recent BCS bowl results

5. All-time record vs OU (oh, wait, that only works for UT fans)

6. You've not seen [insert your team's strength here] before (nevermind, that one seems to be well covered).

7. You can't even beat [insert embarrassing loss here], how are you going to beat us? (doh, that one doesn't work in your favor this year)

8. Academic standards, graduation rates, etc.

9. Relative popularity of each teams colors.

10. Celebrity endorsements for each team.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you put your mind to it, I'm sure you can come up with some more.

You missed one:

11. Hot chicks from your school.

Yup, she's a Gator. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2uLkE2u1f0)

Circle City Gator
12/17/2008, 07:18 PM
I am still waiting for a Gator fan who thinks the Big 12 and their offenses are good because the defenses suck, to explain the following to me...

Texas 52
Arkansas 10

Florida 38
Arkansas 7

I mean, if the Big 12 defenses suck why is it, the one team in the SEC has the balls to schedule a Big 12 team, only scored 3 more points and allowed 14 more than the mighty Gaytors?

Okay.

Texas punted one more time than Florida, 4-3. Each had one turnover. Texas had one defensive score (int returned for TD, accounting for 7 of those 14 points). The other one came at the end of the first half, when Arkansas fumbled on their own 20, giving Texas a VERY short field.

Also, I don't think people said ALL Big 12 defenses suck. The one you're quoting, as I recall, won a certain Red River something-or-other, didn't they? Yeah, if Texas and Florida are comparable defensively, I'm not so sure that should be making you feel so good right now. I think you had, what, 48 yards rushing against Texas?

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2008, 07:20 PM
11. Hot chicks from your school.

Now THAT is a topic worth discussing!

Stoop Dawg
12/17/2008, 07:30 PM

Austin Box/Mike Balogun (whichever ends up playing MLB the most). Box is the 2nd string but is coming off an injury. Balogun is 3rd string. Reynolds (1st string) was knocked out for the season against Texas.

MLB is obviously a critical position for both run support and short pass coverage. Having to play a 3rd stringer in there with very little playing time could hurt us. Even if Box can play (and play the whole game) he's going to need a big night.

(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about Box's injury - I'm under the impression that he may/will play on Jan 8)

redhawk49
12/17/2008, 07:35 PM
Ok. When your corners and linebackers are gasping for air 9 minutes into the game they are gonna wish they were back in that hellhole called the swamp playing teh Citadel! :eek:

olevetonahill
12/17/2008, 07:38 PM
I'd have to agree with you on what HAS been said, but that does not mean there is nothing left to discuss.

Here is a topic- Who on your team has to have a stand-out, game-of-his-life, coming-of-age game, and why? I'll even go first.

Joe Haden and Carlos Dunlap

Carlos Dunlap, sophomore defensive end 6'6", 250. 9 sacks, 12 tackles for loss, 1 pass broken up, 6 QB hurries, 1 fumble recovery, and 2 kicks blocked. He is a very fast athletic guy. Reports on his 40 vary, from 4.6 to 4.7. He was fast enough to be the number DE in the country coming out of high school and to play kick returner on his HS team. He needs to use speed against OU's size to put pressure on Bradford, who can pick anybody apart if given long enough. IF the pseed rush does not work expect stunts to free him up the middle.

Joe Haden, sophomore cornerback. Extremely athletic, but has been beaten. Of our two corners, he is the most vulnerable. That said, he ain't bad. As a freshman he was selected to the Sporting News Freshman All-America Team, CollegeFootballNews.com Freshman Team and was chosen for the Coaches’ All-SEC Freshman team. But Julius Jones was getting his yards on Haden, not Janoris Jenkins (who is freakin' AMAZING, especially for a true freshman). Haden needs to stick in coverage long enough for Dunlap to get going, just like Dunlap needs to get going long enough to take the pressure off Haden. On defense, those two guys are, IMHO, going to have to had Derrick Harvey against Ohio State sorts of games.

One Name
Jimmy Stevens :eek:

olevetonahill
12/17/2008, 07:42 PM
Austin Box/Mike Balogun (whichever ends up playing MLB the most). Box is the 2nd string but is coming off an injury. Balogun is 3rd string. Reynolds (1st string) was knocked out for the season against Texas.

MLB is obviously a critical position for both run support and short pass coverage. Having to play a 3rd stringer in there with very little playing time could hurt us. Even if Box can play (and play the whole game) he's going to need a big night.

(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about Box's injury - I'm under the impression that he may/will play on Jan 8)

Dawg
From every thing Ive read All of Our D players will be Full tilt For the Game except RR

DCGator
12/17/2008, 08:29 PM
That "Big XII defense" is a chicken argument is a chicken/egg thing and any sensible observer knows that. And scoff if you will at Troy, but for a time they were up by 28 over LSU of the mighty SEC. The Tigers had a total of 340 yards vs. Troy. We had 612 and the game was never close. We allowed 24 points against Troy, but LSU of the mighty SEC allowed them to score 31.

With that in mind, I would have gladly faced the likes of LSU, or Tennessee, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Auburn, etc. week in and week out. It sure would have beat playing 4 teams then-ranked in the top 3 in the country, with all except one on the road. I've said it elsewhere on this board, Oklahoma State would have a better record than 9-3 this year if it had played in the SEC. And I'm looking forward to our season opener next year against Georgia.

As for backs, our top three backs rushed for 2611 yards. Your top 5 rushers (I didn't include QBs since we've already covered that) rushed for 2346, with one extra game. Your top 2 receivers, Murphy and Harvin, combined for fewer yards (1206) than Dez (1313). They each averaged 17.0 ypc, with Bryant averaging 17.7. And a lot of the season Pettigrew (who is much better than Alexander in all facets of the game, won't even get into that) was not playing/playing hurt, allowing defenses to constantly double up on Bryant. Yes, you did spread the ball more, but you go with what works. The Gators had 2764 receiving yards, we had 2799, with one less game.

Interesting stat selection. You failed to mention that your three backs made their 199 more yards on 81 more carries (UF: 299 att, OSU 380 att). UFs top 5 rushers averaged 7.8 YPC, as apposed to OSU's top 3 backs 6.7 YPC. That is significantly better. If the Gators had 380 running attemps like OSU, they would have had ran as many times as OSU we would have had 2966 yards.

Again, interesting that you cut off your receivers at the top 2, when we spread the ball around a lot more. Dez is great, but your next best receiver has half as many receptions as Bryant. You shut down Bryant and you shut down a major portion of your offense. If you look at the top 4 receivers for both teams, the YPC is OSO: 15.5, UF 15.4. Given the difference in defenses we played, that is pretty good.

Speaking of defenses, using Troy and LSU as an example isn't very representative. LSU's D was 9th in the SEC, not exactly cream of the crop. You should look forward to your Georgia game, since they will be breaking in a new QB. Good luck, I root for all of the SEC teams OOC, except for the d@mn dawgs!

IBleedCrimson
12/17/2008, 08:42 PM
word to yo momma. i think we win comfortably

NYC Poke
12/17/2008, 08:59 PM
DCGator, how many first team All Americans do you have? What, zero? We have one, Dez Bryant.

How many second teamers? Well, you got us there. Harvin made it as an "all purpose player," we have none.

Third team? Well, we're tied. Tebow is there at QB for you, and Hunter made it at RB.

The initial discussion wasn't about who has the better offensive system, it was a comparison of OSU's talent to Florida, which was alleged to possess vastly superior talent. By every objective measure, our talent meets or exceeds Florida. If Florida is so talented on offense, why isn't it reflected in the stats? Are you suggesting Urban Meyer isn't a good coach?

And don't trot out that lame "superior SEC defense" crap. There are only 2 teams on Florida's schedule I'd be nervous playing, Georgia and Alabama, though if we were playing Alabama that means we must be playing for the SEC championship, right? Hawaii, Miami, Tennessee, and Kentucky (won't even mention The Citadel) don't exactly have me shaking in my boots.

G8trGr8t
12/17/2008, 09:21 PM
Brandon Spikes is first team All American. Haden and Jenkins will be. When you spread the ball around as much as UF does, you do not get as many all americans or eye popping stats for any single player but it makes the team harder to beat and the goal is to get the crystal.

If OSO has so much talent, why aren't they ging to Miami to try and get some crystal?

olevetonahill
12/17/2008, 09:23 PM
Brandon Spikes is first team All American. Haden and Jenkins will be. When you spread the ball around as much as UF does, you do not get as many all americans or eye popping stats for any single player but it makes the team harder to beat and the goal is to get the crystal.

If OSO has so much talent, why aren't they ging to Miami to try and get some crystal?

Cause they are in the BIG 12 South. DUH :P :D

OUinFLA
12/17/2008, 10:08 PM

well, duh.... because they're osu.

why isn't Vandy?

:D

Desert Sapper
12/17/2008, 10:36 PM
The defenses OU has faced, on average, are not as good as the defenses UF's faced.

And the Offenses UF has faced can't even compare to the offenses OU has faced. So we are back to the circular logic that invalidates your whole argument.

1. Great offenses score points on great defenses.
2. Crappy offenses don't score points on great defenses.

DCGator
12/17/2008, 10:52 PM
DCGator, how many first team All Americans do you have? What, zero? We have one, Dez Bryant.

How many second teamers? Well, you got us there. Harvin made it as an "all purpose player," we have none.

Third team? Well, we're tied. Tebow is there at QB for you, and Hunter made it at RB.

The initial discussion wasn't about who has the better offensive system, it was a comparison of OSU's talent to Florida, which was alleged to possess vastly superior talent. By every objective measure, our talent meets or exceeds Florida. If Florida is so talented on offense, why isn't it reflected in the stats? Are you suggesting Urban Meyer isn't a good coach?

And don't trot out that lame "superior SEC defense" crap. There are only 2 teams on Florida's schedule I'd be nervous playing, Georgia and Alabama, though if we were playing Alabama that means we must be playing for the SEC championship, right? Hawaii, Miami, Tennessee, and Kentucky (won't even mention The Citadel) don't exactly have me shaking in my boots.

Again, the whole point is that Florida has more playmakers, thus spread the ball around more. Certainly OSU is a very good offensive team. Florida does not have "vastly" superior talent, but deeper talent definitely. OSU has only 4 players with more than 10 receptions, and the three other players combined don't have as many receptions as Bryant, so yeah his numbers are more impressive than the 9 players our QB spreads the ball around to.

Why aren't our stats much more impressive than OSU? For one thing, our O is not "vastly" superior to OSU, second there is a bit of the "shutting down the machine" effect going on as well. Florida average score at halftime was 25-4, where OSUs average halftime score was 20-12.

OSU's schedule doesn't exactly have me shaking in my boots either. There are only two teams on OSU schedule that would have me nervous, UT and the Sooners. Hell, at least we tried to schedule some decent OOC opponents. Washington State? Houston? Troy? Missouri State??? It's not just SEC defenses that we played that were good. FSU (#13), Miami (#25) were both tougher Ds than OSU faced, and you can claim "bad SEC offense" for their defensive rankings.

jwlynn64
12/18/2008, 01:12 AM
Or it could be that your players don't get open as often as Bryant and Tebow has to check down to his 2nd, 3rd or 4th reads.

DCGator
12/18/2008, 06:43 AM
Or it could be that your players don't get open as often as Bryant and Tebow has to check down to his 2nd, 3rd or 4th reads.

Yes, it might be. And that might be due to the quality of defenses we have faced, if a guy like Harvin can't get consistently open. No doubt Dez is a special player, but I would put Harvin up against him any day and twice on Sunday.

jwlynn64
12/18/2008, 09:40 AM
I see... it can't be that Bryant is better. It is obvious that the defenses you played were better?:confused:

Not saying this is the case but, sometimes when someone is pretty good, they make the opposing team not look so good and equally, when someone is just average (or slightly above), they can make the other team look better.

Go do some meditation and come back and let me know why your star receiver couldn't make other teams defenses look bad.

Gator996
12/18/2008, 09:49 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/12/14/2008-12-14_time_tebow_gators_feel_bitten_by_heisman.html

"Bradford put together some earth-shaking numbers for the Sooners this season, passing for 4,646 yards and 48 touchdowns for an offense that scored 702 points and ripped off 60 or more points in its final five games.

Tebow's numbers were less eye-popping, but came against much better competition. Tebow played against eight teams - seven from the SEC - whose defenses were ranked in the nation's top 30. In those games, Tebow completed 63% of his passes with 18 TDs and no interceptions and scored on nine TD runs. By comparison, Bradford faced only two of the country's top 30 defenses and nine ranking 66th or lower. McCoy didn't face a defense ranked better than 66th."

And we're actually discussing which conference plays defense???
Whatever. :pop:

Hot Rod
12/18/2008, 09:59 AM
And the Offenses UF has faced can't even compare to the offenses OU has faced. So we are back to the circular logic that invalidates your whole argument.

1. Great offenses score points on great defenses.
2. Crappy offenses don't score points on great defenses.

And that basically sums it up.

engigator
12/18/2008, 10:30 AM
well, duh.... because they're osu.

why isn't Vandy?

I agree that OSU and Vandy are comparable teams.;)

engigator
12/18/2008, 10:58 AM
UF's rush defense #16. Average rush defense on OU's schedule #48. Toughest on schedule was TCU @ #1.
OU's rush defense #18. Average rush defense on UF's schedule #42. Toughest on schedule was Bama @ #4.

UF's pass defense #19. Average pass defense on OU's schedule #89. Toughest on schedule was TCU @ #9.
OU's pass defense #99. Average pass defense on UF's schedule #32. Toughest on schedule was USCe @ #3.

UF's total defense #9. Average total defense on OU's schedule #77. Toughest on schedule was TCU @ #2.
OU's total defense #65. Average total defense on UF's schedule #28. Toughest on schedule was Bama @ #3.

UF's scoring defense #5. Average scoring defense on OU's schedule #71. Toughest on schedule was TCU @ #2.
OU's scoring defense #57. Average scoring defense on UF's schedule #42. Toughest on schedule was Bama @ #6.

engigator
12/18/2008, 11:01 AM
Minus the best and worst off each schedule, TCU and Washington for OU. Bama and Arkansas for the good guys.

UF's rush defense #16. Average rush defense on OU's schedule #46. Toughest on schedule was Texas @ #2.
OU's rush defense #18. Average rush defense on UF's schedule #42. Toughest on schedule was Ole **** @ #6.

UF's pass defense #19. Average pass defense on OU's schedule #99. Toughest on schedule was Cincinatti @ #68.
OU's pass defense #99. Average pass defense on UF's schedule #31. Toughest on schedule was USCe @ #3.

UF's total defense #9. Average total defense on OU's schedule #81. Toughest on schedule was Cincinatti @ #26.
OU's total defense #65. Average total defense on UF's schedule #26. Toughest on schedule was Tennessee @ #4.

UF's scoring defense #5. Average scoring defense on OU's schedule #73. Toughest on schedule was Texas @ #20.
OU's scoring defense #57. Average scoring defense on UF's schedule #41. Toughest on schedule was Tennessee @ #11.

engigator
12/18/2008, 11:59 AM
The initial discussion wasn't about who has the better offensive system, it was a comparison of OSU's talent to Florida, which was alleged to possess vastly superior talent. By every objective measure, our talent meets or exceeds Florida.

OSU has a select few nice players on their reoster. Dez Bryant could start at any school in the country. Zac Robinson is a nice QB. He's much better than most of the starting QBs in the SEC minus Tebow and Stafford. Vert good RB who plays hard. You have 3 players. That does not make it an even playing field. I wouldn't trade for any of the other players on your team from what I saw this year in your games against the big 3 in your conference. Some of the WRs you have are just flat out slow. I think most of our offensive line can out run your 3rd and 4th receivers. You have absolutely no depth on your team. If any of your stars have injuries or bad games you choke. Why do you think everyone was criticizing Dez about not being a big game receiver up until the OU game. And even then he had bad moments. Get some depth. Build a real football team and then you can try and sneak into your conference title race. Until then just be happy your in a bowl game.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 12:27 PM
URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/12/14/2008-12-14_time_tebow_gators_feel_bitten_by_heisman.html"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/12/14/2008-12-14_time_tebow_gators_feel_bitten_by_heisman.html[/URL]

If you're wanting to cite authority on college football, you should avoid the New York newspapers. They don't really cover college football, and when they do, it's the Big 10, Notre Dame, the Ivies, and Rutgers (recently).

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 12:49 PM
OSU has a select few nice players on their reoster. Dez Bryant could start at any school in the country. Zac Robinson is a nice QB. He's much better than most of the starting QBs in the SEC minus Tebow and Stafford. Vert good RB who plays hard. You have 3 players. That does not make it an even playing field. I wouldn't trade for any of the other players on your team from what I saw this year in your games against the big 3 in your conference. Some of the WRs you have are just flat out slow. I think most of our offensive line can out run your 3rd and 4th receivers. You have absolutely no depth on your team. If any of your stars have injuries or bad games you choke. Why do you think everyone was criticizing Dez about not being a big game receiver up until the OU game. And even then he had bad moments. Get some depth. Build a real football team and then you can try and sneak into your conference title race. Until then just be happy your in a bowl game.

You're forgetting Pettigrew and an elite O-line. And Missouri took Bryant out of the game (and Pettigrew missed that one). Result? To TD passes to Damien Davis and an OSU win on the road.

I'll concede that Florida has better quality depth at receiver. However, OSU still has more passing yards than Florida, despite being a run-first offense. If Florida indeed has all these elite playmakers, as DCG suggested, why aren't they making plays?

The initial point was that OSU was the most similar offense to Florida's that OU had faced, and that Florida has an enormous talent advantage over OSU, the likes of which OU has not seen. This isn't borne out by any objective measure. Since you guys don't like things like statistics, I'll go to one last "objective" measure, the Rivals Power Rankings.

QB - Tebow 3, Robinson 5. Slight Florida advantage (which I conceded in my first post)

RB - Hunter 4, Florida ?. Advantage OSU

WR - Harvin 2, Bryant 5. I'd dispute this ranking, going with Bryant's numbers over Harvin's hype. Let's just call it a push.

TE - Pettigrew 8, Hernandez 18. Advantage OSU. Please note that Pettigrew entered the season ranked first, but was limited by injuries.

OL - Okung 10, Trautwein 16. Slight OSU advantage.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewCFSE.asp

Oh, and as far as the "speading the ball around" argument as it pertains to RBs, please note that Hunter's backup, Toston, had 658 yards rushing while averaging 7.0 ypc, and the third-string back, Johnson, added another 357 with 6.2 ypc.

And as to why we're not playing for the crystal ball, while I like Vet's answer, a more serious answer would be our defense. I conceded that your defense is better than ours very early on.

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/12/14/2008-12-14_time_tebow_gators_feel_bitten_by_heisman.html

Tebow's numbers were less eye-popping, but came against much better competition. Tebow played against eight teams - seven from the SEC - whose defenses were ranked in the nation's top 30.

And we're actually discussing which conference plays defense???
Whatever. :pop:

There was an old sow with three little pigs :oink: :oink: :oink: , and as she had not enough to keep them, she sent them out to seek their fortune. The first that went off met a man with a bundle of straw, and said to him, "Please, man, give me that straw to build me a house." Which the man did, and the little pig built a house with it.

Presently came along a wolf, and knocked at the door, and said, "Little pig, little pig, let me come in."

To which the pig :oink: answered, "No, no, by the hair of my chiny chin chin."

The wolf then answered to that, "Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in." So he huffed, and he puffed, and he blew his house in, and ate up the little pig. :meat:

The second little pig met a man with a bundle of furze [sticks], and said, "Please, man, give me that furze to build a house." Which the man did, and the pig built his house.

Then along came the wolf, and said, "Little pig, little pig, let me come in."

:oink: "No, no, by the hair of my chiny chin chin."

"Then I'll puff, and I'll huff, and I'll blow your house in." So he huffed, and he puffed, and he puffed, and he huffed, and at last he blew the house down, and he ate up the little pig. :meat:

The third little pig met a man with a load of bricks, and said, "Please, man, give me those bricks to build a house with." So the man gave him the bricks, and he built his house with them.

So the wolf came, as he did to the other little pigs, and said, "Little pig, little pig, let me come in."

"Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in."

Well, he huffed, and he puffed, and he huffed and he puffed, and he puffed and huffed; but he could not get the house down. :confused:

SEC Defenses:

Houses of Straw

SEC Fans:

Like the wolf, they like to huff things too.

catsigater
12/18/2008, 01:06 PM
And as to why we're not playing for the crystal ball, while I like Vet's answer, a more serious answer would be our defense. I conceded that your defense is better than ours very early on.

And that was my point. OU and UF run similar offenses. I still give us a slight edge on offense, because, IMO, we can put more weapons on the field at any one time, but that's debatable.

But our defense is as good, or better, than any OU has faced. Given that, I think we score the 41 OSU scored, and keep OU to their lowest point total of the season.

Knippz
12/18/2008, 01:08 PM
There was an old sow with three little pigs :oink: :oink: :oink: , and as she had not enough to keep them, she sent them out to seek their fortune. The first that went off met a man with a bundle of straw, and said to him, "Please, man, give me that straw to build me a house." Which the man did, and the little pig built a house with it.

Presently came along a wolf, and knocked at the door, and said, "Little pig, little pig, let me come in."

To which the pig :oink: answered, "No, no, by the hair of my chiny chin chin."

The wolf then answered to that, "Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in." So he huffed, and he puffed, and he blew his house in, and ate up the little pig. :meat:

The second little pig met a man with a bundle of furze [sticks], and said, "Please, man, give me that furze to build a house." Which the man did, and the pig built his house.

Then along came the wolf, and said, "Little pig, little pig, let me come in."

"Then I'll puff, and I'll huff, and I'll blow your house in." So he huffed, and he puffed, and he puffed, and he huffed, and at last he blew the house down, and he ate up the little pig. :meat:

The third little pig met a man with a load of bricks, and said, "Please, man, give me those bricks to build a house with." So the man gave him the bricks, and he built his house with them.

So the wolf came, as he did to the other little pigs, and said, "Little pig, little pig, let me come in."

"Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in."

Well, he huffed, and he puffed, and he huffed and he puffed, and he puffed and huffed; but he could not get the house down. :confused:

SEC Defenses:

Houses of Straw

SEC Fans:

Like the wolf, they like to huff things too.

I miss your avatar! "Read the muthaf*ckin' thread before you muthaf*ckin post"...

That was you, right? If not, my bad. But if so, put it back!

Knippz
12/18/2008, 01:13 PM
And that was my point. OU and UF run similar offenses. I still give us a slight edge on offense, because, IMO, we can put more weapons on the field at any one time, but that's debatable.

But our defense is as good, or better, than any OU has faced. Given that, I think we score the 41 OSU scored, and keep OU to their lowest point total of the season.

If you're basing Florida's potential score off of that game, you've got some real problems.

There were so many intangibles that led to that score. A fumble recovery missed by the refs, the fact that it was at OSU's stadium, it's an in-state rivalry, Auston English was out for that game.

You just can't base all of your prediction off of one game with that many intangibles.

LesNessman
12/18/2008, 01:25 PM
I still give us a slight edge on offense, because, IMO, we can put more weapons on the field at any one time, but that's debatable.

Um, yes it is.

Very debatable.

Almost laughable.

DCGator
12/18/2008, 01:25 PM
Oh, and as far as the "speading the ball around" argument as it pertains to RBs, please note that Hunter's backup, Toston, had 658 yards rushing while averaging 7.0 ypc, and the third-string back, Johnson, added another 357 with 6.2 ypc.

As castigator says, the original point was that, even if you say the SEC defensive prowess argument is bogus, our offense is comparable to OSU in every measurable sense, although I would argue that we are deeper and harder to defend. OSU scored 41 on OU. I would also suggest that our defense is comparable to Texas & TCU, which both held OU to 35 points.

That matches my prediction for the game score, UF 41, OU 35. Baring a rash of turnovers by one team, I think the score is likely to be around 35-41 one way or the other. My prediction is that UF will be the one with 41 points.

Part of what is not mentioned on any of these threads is that our special teams are excellent and setup many of our short drives. Also a good defense compliments a good offense. If your offense can keep the other team off the field, or cause them to work from behind then it improves your offense. If your defense can hold the opponent to some three-and-outs it will setup good field position for your defense.

SoonersEnFuego
12/18/2008, 01:26 PM
I don't know that Tebow has 3rd or 4th reads....
I think 3rd read is: RUN

DCGator
12/18/2008, 01:32 PM
Um, yes it is.

Very debatable.

Almost laughable.

Laughable that UF can field more weapons that OSU? Really?

UF played the SEC championship game against the unbeaten, #1 ranked team with one of the best defenses in the country without our best playmaker/reciever (Harvin) and without our most productive RB (Rainey). The result? A double digit win for UF. How would OSU have faired against the #1 team without Dez Bryant and Kendall Hunter? Not too good I would imagine.

catsigater
12/18/2008, 01:35 PM
If you're basing Florida's potential score off of that game, you've got some real problems.

There were so many intangibles that led to that score. A fumble recovery missed by the refs, the fact that it was at OSU's stadium, it's an in-state rivalry, Auston English was out for that game.

You just can't base all of your prediction off of one game with that many intangibles.

Good points, which is why I don't respond when folks bring up the Mississippi game. They caught a lot of breaks and we turned the ball over in that one game more than we did almost the entire year. I'm assuming the intangibles will break our way, but that's a big IF.

If they don't, I think we still win, just not by the 41-27 score I've predicted.

And like I said, I think we're more dangerous on any given play than OSU, which means we don't need as many things to go our way to put up that kind of score.

If we shut your run game down like TX did, it'll be trouble for you; if we don't, for us.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 01:58 PM

UF played the SEC championship game against the unbeaten, #1 ranked team with one of the best defenses in the country without our best playmaker/reciever (Harvin) and without our most productive RB (Rainey). The result? A double digit win for UF. How would OSU have faired against the #1 team without Dez Bryant and Kendall Hunter? Not too good I would imagine.

But OU DID face our best players, and that's the whole point of the discussion. If you're entering a debate about whether or not Florida is a better team top to bottom than the Oklahoma State Cowboys, you should probably just surrender the MNC game right now.

DCGator
12/18/2008, 02:05 PM
But OU DID face our best players, and that's the whole point of the discussion. If you're entering a debate about whether or not Florida is a better team top to bottom than the Oklahoma State Cowboys, you should probably just surrender the MNC game right now.

No, the debate is whether UF can score around 41 points on OU, given OSU was able to do it, which has been proven to be a fair assumption. I was simply responding the notion that it's "laughable" that our O is deeper in talent than OSUs.

MikeInNorman
12/18/2008, 02:11 PM
Get some depth. Build a real football team and then you can try and sneak into your conference title race. Until then just be happy your in a bowl game.

HEY!

Do NOT lecture our Aggy about college football tradition.

That's our job.

LesNessman
12/18/2008, 02:21 PM

Sorry, I thought this was an OU board (you did compare OU and UF offenses in your post).

We still talking OSU/UF?

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 02:23 PM
Heh. On the plus side, how "Aggy" is it that they've spent 3 days arguing over whether they have better talent that the fourth place team in the Big XII South? Would anyone from OU even bother having that discussion with South Carolina? :D

Knippz
12/18/2008, 02:29 PM
Heh. On the plus side, how "Aggy" is it that they've spent 3 days arguing over whether they have better talent that the fourth place team in the Big XII South? Would anyone from OU even bother having that discussion with South Carolina? :D

OWNED

Cam
12/18/2008, 02:31 PM
This thread has caused me to green spek a poke. :mad:

WTF is this world coming to?

Freelemur
12/18/2008, 03:17 PM

I'm not going to read the first 5 or 6 pages of this thread to see who was entertaining the argument that OSU is as good as Florida but it was most likely being done out of either ignorance or the desire not to "rock the boat" by a visiting gator fan. This is not an argument.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not going to read the first 5 or 6 pages of this thread to see who was entertaining the argument that OSU is as good as Florida but it was most likely being done out of either ignorance or the desire not to "rock the boat" by a visiting gator fan. This is not an argument.

That wasn't the argument so get in the back of the idiot line with your fellow Gators. Next?

Freelemur
12/18/2008, 03:29 PM
That wasn't the argument so get in the back of the idiot line with your fellow Gators. Next?

ROFL! I'M SO OWNED! So you're saying the argument was just that they had better talent? Again, still not an argument. On either side of the ball.
Im not really sure why an oklahoma state fan has any place in a discussion of a national championship game between two of the elite teams and programs in college football. Closet sooner fan?

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 03:34 PM
ROFL! I'M SO OWNED! So you're saying the argument was just that they had better talent? Again, still not an argument. On either side of the ball.
Im not really sure why an oklahoma state fan has any place in a discussion of a national championship game between two of the elite teams and programs in college football. Closet sooner fan?

Big XII! Big XII!

No, I wouldn't ever be enough of an idiot to chant for my conference.

The argument was put forth that Florida had vastly superior offensive talent than Oklahoma State. I have demostrated this to be untrue through statistics, AA selections, and Rivals power rankings. You can bother to look it up yourself, or scroll back through these pages and attempt to demostrate where anything I've said was incorrect.

OKC-SLC
12/18/2008, 03:43 PM

(would someone better at computers than I am post some witty picture which singlehandedly captures the essence of this new sf.com member...TIA)

ufmc
12/18/2008, 03:46 PM
(would someone better at computers than I am post some witty picture which singlehandedly captures the essence of this new sf.com member...TIA)
ROFL!! That ranks right up there w/ "idiot line"

Freelemur
12/18/2008, 03:47 PM
Big XII! Big XII!

The argument was put forth that Florida had vastly superior offensive talent than Oklahoma State. I have demostrated this to be untrue through statistics, AA selections, and Rivals power rankings. You can bother to look it up yourself, or scroll back through these pages and attempt to demostrate where anything I've said was incorrect.

Oh no i saw that, you used stats from 3 skill position players to make some assinine claim that because Dez bryant was an all american and Zac robinson was a good Quarterback (both of whom were rated below their UF counterpart in your scenario) OSU was equal or superior to florida.... an argument no intelligent unbiased observer would accept. But its totally fine you feel good about your team, you're supposed to, you had a nice season for oklahoma state. You just clearly have no business discussing elite football. So that being settled i'll turn my attention to the fans of a real football program.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 04:01 PM
You left off Pettigrew and the O-line (SI reported today that Okung was graded as a first round pick).

So you have slight advantage at QB (though a statistical wash), no competition at RB, no real answer at WR (Harvin is more of a hybrid and doesn't have anything close to DB's numbers), disadvantage at TE, and disadvantage on O-line.

Other than the skill positions and the line, what else is there? Did the mighty SEC invent some new positions? Are they still only putting 11 players on the field, or did they change that?

coldblooded
12/18/2008, 04:12 PM
Big XII! Big XII!

Oh.....CRAP!!!! Statistics????? We are doomed!!!!!!! Everone knows that statistics, plus tradition, plus "punch-in-the-mouth-style-football" totals an UNBEATABLE combination!!!!! Just ask Alabama!!!! Oh.....wait......:O

coldblooded
12/18/2008, 04:17 PM
You left off Pettigrew and the O-line (SI reported today that Okung was graded as a first round pick).

So you have slight advantage at QB (though a statistical wash), no competition at RB, no real answer at WR (Harvin is more of a hybrid and doesn't have anything close to DB's numbers), disadvantage at TE, and disadvantage on O-line.

Other than the skill positions and the line, what else is there? Did the mighty SEC invent some new positions? Are they still only putting 11 players on the field, or did they change that?

No wide receivers? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!
Feel that breeze? That was 3 of our speed receivers blowing by your cb's....
who thinks TT can't pass very well and.......damn!!!! UF touchdown!!!

coldblooded
12/18/2008, 04:19 PM
Big XII! Big XII!

Well I have to agree with your 1st statement. I don't believe ANYONE would be stupid enough to chant for your confrence.

Freelemur
12/18/2008, 04:19 PM

wow. you're embarrassing yourself dude.
i really said i was done with you but... fine...
1) If you really think tim tebow over zac robinson is a "slight edge" you should stop following football, sports in general, for the rest of your life.
2) we're the 11th ranked rushing offense in the country in a conference that is historically known for, and has been proven to have, the best defenses in college football. Aside from tebow we use 4 primary ball carriers, Demps 8.4 ypc, rainey 7.9. harvin 8.8 and moody 7.3... all with between 56 and 83 carries. So i'd say we do ok in that department.
3) Harvin is unquestionably the most dangerous offensive player in college football. a game breaking receiver or runner. Florida also has Louis Murphy a 6'2 200lb 4.25 future NFL wr on the other side. Along with Riley Cooper, David Nelson, deonte thompson, Carl Moore etc... basically as much wide recieving talent on their current team than OSU has had in probably the past 10 years combined.
4) Aaron hernandez was the #1 te in the country 2 years ago and a future NFL stud at the position.
5) you're saying OSU's offensive liine is better than florida's because they have 1 lineman projected as a first round pick..... ok see (1) again.

So no, OSU does not compare with Florida offensively, with the number of weapons they can put on the field, with overall talent of the team, in any conceivable way. I'm sorry. you're an occasionally mildly-successful regional program and without t boone pickens you'd be the equivalent of Kansas State, as it stands you're slightly better. you're done.

coldblooded
12/18/2008, 04:22 PM
wow. you're embarrassing yourself dude.
i really said i was done with you but... fine...
1) If you really think tim tebow over zac robinson is a "slight edge" you should stop following football, sports in general, for the rest of your life.
2) we're the 11th ranked rushing offense in the country in a conference that is historically known for, and has been proven to have, the best defenses in college football. Aside from tebow we use 4 primary ball carriers, Demps 8.4 ypc, rainey 7.9. harvin 8.8 and moody 7.3... all with between 56 and 83 carries. So i'd say we do ok in that department.
3) Harvin is unquestionably the most dangerous offensive player in college football. a game breaking receiver or runner. Florida also has Louis Murphy a 6'2 200lb 4.25 future NFL wr on the other side. Along with Riley Cooper, David Nelson, deonte thompson, Carl Moore etc... basically as much wide recieving talent on their current team than OSU has had in probably the past 10 years combined.
4) Aaron hernandez was the #1 te in the country 2 years ago and a future NFL stud at the position.
5) you're saying OSU's offensive liine is better than florida's because they have 1 lineman projected as a first round pick..... ok see (1) again.

So no, OSU does not compare with Florida offensively, with the number of weapons they can put on the field, with overall talent of the team, in any conceivable way. I'm sorry. you're an occasionally mildly-successful regional program and without t boone pickens you'd be the equivalent of Kansas State, as it stands you're slightly better. you're done.

What he said!!!!

Since your attention span undoutedly precludes your reading such a long and fact-based post.......let me sum up.

We.........will..........crush..........you.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 04:28 PM
Got it. You guys have way superior talent because ESPN told you so.

We play in a conference that is historically known for, and has proven to have, excellent defenses (I won't make a stupid comment like "the best in college football" because that changes year to year. Everyone who follows college football (not just their conference) knows that the talent level on offense just happens to be exceptional this year.

I don't care what anybody is coming out of high school. Pettigrew was a pre-season AA and his production slipped because of injuries. I'll take him over Hernandez any day.

We have a first round guy on the line, and the line as a whole has been rated in the top 5 all season.

OSU has more rushing yards and more passing yards than Florida. The point of having an offense is to get yards and score points. We did that better than you. I've asked this before: If Florida has all these playmakers, why weren't they making plays?

Knippz
12/18/2008, 04:30 PM
Call me crazy, but I like the way OSU would match up with Florida. Potential upset.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 04:33 PM
Oh, and Tebow/Robinson? Yes, slight edge for Tebow. The only statistical difference between them is that Tebow threw 6 fewer picks, meaning Robinson made half of a poor decision more than Tebow per game, so I'll give Tebow the edge. Whatever. They have about the same shot at playing QB on Sundays.

Freelemur
12/18/2008, 04:39 PM

We play in a conference that is historically known for, and has proven to have, excellent defenses (I won't make a stupid comment like "the best in college football" because that changes year to year. Everyone who follows college football (not just their conference) knows that the talent level on offense just happens to be exceptional this year.

I don't care what anybody is coming out of high school. Pettigrew was a pre-season AA and his production slipped because of injuries. I'll take him over Hernandez any day.

We have a first round guy on the line, and the line as a whole has been rated in the top 5 all season.

OSU has more rushing yards and more passing yards than Florida. The point of having an offense is to get yards and score points. We did that better than you. I've asked this before: If Florida has all these playmakers, why weren't they making plays?

they were scoring more points than osu.
By the way, i hate to tell you this champ but statistics dont really tell the whole story. If that were the case you should be on some tulsa golden hurricane board making a fool out of yourself over there.

Freelemur
12/18/2008, 04:41 PM
Oh, and Tebow/Robinson? Yes, slight edge for Tebow. The only statistical difference between them is that Tebow threw 6 fewer picks, meaning Robinson made half of a poor decision more than Tebow per game, so I'll give Tebow the edge. Whatever. They have about the same shot at playing QB on Sundays.

if you made this comment to anyone outside the state of oklahoma they would laugh in your face... this is probably why you encounter so many problems at these NYC "sports bars" you frequent.

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 04:42 PM
I miss your avatar! "Read the muthaf*ckin' thread before you muthaf*ckin post"...

That was you, right? If not, my bad. But if so, put it back!

Nossir...

That was my buddy StoopTroup and his buddy Sam to the L to the J.

catsigater
12/18/2008, 04:44 PM

Not quite. UF scored more points than OSU. Even taking away UF's 13th game. Even taking away their 12th game, for that matter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=team&sort=ppg&group=80&year=2008

Jortstified
12/18/2008, 04:46 PM
Shut up, Lemur. Gator fans sound as dumb as they look and dress! :D

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 04:48 PM
Originally stated by CBS announcers>Tebow, 4th and 1, at home, against Ole Miss, for the game...
if you made this comment to anyone inside the state of florida they would laugh in your face...

:eek:

Knippz
12/18/2008, 04:48 PM
Factor in that OSU had to plus OU, Texass (in Austin), and Tech (in Lubbock), and Mizzou (in Columbia, before they sucked).

Jortstified
12/18/2008, 04:51 PM
Yep. Dez Bryant is waaaay better than Harvin, too. The only reason Harvin has the record for scoring in the last 14 games in a row is because he plays in the SEC. Their defenses aren't used to playing any kind of offense.

Big 12 Power!!!

Freelemur
12/18/2008, 04:57 PM
Factor in that OSU had to plus OU, Texass (in Austin), and Tech (in Lubbock), and Mizzou (in Columbia, before they sucked).

yeah, there are no tougher places to play in america than in Lubbock and columbia.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 04:57 PM
they were scoring more points than osu.
By the way, i hate to tell you this champ but statistics dont really tell the whole story. If that were the case you should be on some tulsa golden hurricane board making a fool out of yourself over there.

The main difference is Tebow scored 9 more TD's/game than Robinson did. How many of those were short goal line situations? And what about all those short fields your brethren claimed you had? Your top 4 rushers (other than Tebow) scored 21 TDs, our top 3 scored 26. Your top 5 receivers scored 24 TDs, ours scored 23.

And yes, I have had the Robinson/Tebow discussion with people in NYC. I talked about it with the president of Sports Illustrated after the Missouri game, as a matter of fact. A bunch of sportwriters (the ones who don't go home to their Kirk Herbstreit love doll) are starting to notice. Few outside the SEC worship Tebow the way you do. I thought he clearly deserved the Heisman last year. This year I didn't think he should've been in New York, and there are a bunch of people outside the Southeast who feel the same way.

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 04:59 PM
yeah, there are no tougher places to play in america than in Lubbock and columbia.

Glendale, Arizona!!!!!

:mad:

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 05:02 PM
Oh, if anyone is interested, Bradford passed for more yards than South Carolina's total yards for the season.

Knippz
12/18/2008, 05:06 PM

Maybe a little tougher than in Gatorville, where you lost at home to an unranked team. :D

And for that matter, Lubbock is tough as hell to play in. As is Austin.

Knippz
12/18/2008, 05:07 PM
Oh, if anyone is interested, Bradford passed for more yards than South Carolina's total yards for the season.

Damn...

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 05:10 PM
About 600 yards more.

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 05:17 PM

Yeah but....

but.....

we LIKE the 'Ole Ball Coach.

At least Bobby does.

The Maestro
12/18/2008, 05:20 PM
Favor to ask Florida fans. As much as I hate stats, PLEASE stop posting your speedy fresh running backs yards per carry...feel free to replace it with yards per game, if anything. It's really ghey of you. I mean, we have a backup tight end who averages one touchdown per catch. Might be cause he has one catch.

Thanks and proceed.

SOONER STEAKER
12/18/2008, 05:37 PM
BUMP

delhalew
12/18/2008, 05:42 PM
Some brought up turnovers. On that note I have a prediction. Tebow will cough up the ball during the game. He will throw an interception, but thats not what I'm predicting. I'm gonna guess Jeremy Beal, but someone will send that ball flying. At that point Gator nation can wonder where that defense came from.

catsigater
12/18/2008, 05:47 PM
The main difference is Tebow scored 9 more TD's/game than Robinson did. How many of those were short goal line situations? And what about all those short fields your brethren claimed you had? Your top 4 rushers (other than Tebow) scored 21 TDs, our top 3 scored 26. Your top 5 receivers scored 24 TDs, ours scored 23.

You were doing well, until this. Bad example of arbitrarily cutting off stats to suit your purpose.

I could easily say that other than Tebow, we have 4 guys who've accounted for multiple TDs, and you only have 3 other than Robinson and use that to say we have mo' better athletes.

UF scored more points than OSU, both total and on average. Isn't that the real purpose of an offense, to score more points? By that standard UF has a superior offense to all but 2 teams in the country, one of which we'll face on 1/8, none of which include OSU.

UF has the number 10 ranked scoring defense vs. top 25 teams. OU is the best in the Big 12 at number 28, which to me was the biggest reasoning for voting them ahead of Texas, who had the number 47 D against the AP top 25. OSU is 83rd.

We've played 3 teams ranked higher than OU in scoring defense against the top 25, and in each case (even Mississippi) we scored more than their average allowed.

OU has played one team ranked higher than UF (TCU) and blew them out, but when they played UT, they scored 2.5 more points than what UT allowed against top 25 teams.

To reach 30, OU will have to score 10 more points than UF allowed against top 25 teams.

If UF scores 10 more points than OU allowed against top 25 teams, that gives them 38.

There's my turn at twisting stats. Of course we're still faced with the chicken/egg of good defenses/bad offenses (or vice-verse). I don't think that's going to be settled, except on the field.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 05:47 PM
Well, since you bumped, I would add that no, I wouldn't argue Golden Hurricane statistics. The first time they played a team from a good conference -- yes, I can admit that the SEC is a good conference -- their offense was shut down. Surely the Reptilians here are not suggesting that Big XII defenses are like Conference USA?

Oh, and how did the Longhorn's offense fare against that same defense?

catsigater
12/18/2008, 05:51 PM
Favor to ask Florida fans. As much as I hate stats, PLEASE stop posting your speedy fresh running backs yards per carry...feel free to replace it with yards per game, if anything. It's really ghey of you. I mean, we have a backup tight end who averages one touchdown per catch. Might be cause he has one catch.

Thanks and proceed.

I'll stop, and if they'd only carried the ball a half-dozen times, your point would be salient. Since both have well north of 60 carries, those stats are relevant. But I can see how it gets tiresome.

BornandBred
12/18/2008, 05:53 PM
Some brought up turnovers. On that note I have a prediction. Tebow will cough up the ball during the game. He will throw an interception, but thats not what I'm predicting. I'm gonna guess Jeremy Beal, but someone will send that ball flying. At that point Gator nation can wonder where that defense came from.

I wanna see English pick up the fumble and rumble for 6. I think he deserves it after the year he's had.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 05:54 PM
You were doing well, until this. Bad example of arbitrarily cutting off stats to suit your purpose.

I wasn't trying to be arbitrary, I was trying to account for cupcakes/garbage time. For example, Dez had 0 catches vs. our Citadel equivalent. While I watched some Florida games this year, I didn't watch them with the intensity of a fan, so if it wasn't close, I'd quit watching. If you have a better way to account for this, I'm open to it. Although I'm looking for some point to bow out of this discussion. I don't want to exhaust the patience of my Sooner hosts with too much OSU-talk.

The Maestro
12/18/2008, 05:55 PM
To reach 30, OU will have to score 1 less point than the Nutty Razorback rejects team did in Gainesville with a whorn quitter leading the way.

Fixed.

delhalew
12/18/2008, 06:00 PM
I wanna see English pick up the fumble and rumble for 6. I think he deserves it after the year he's had.

I'd say he's a perfect candidate. That is probably the most likely scenario.

Circle City Gator
12/18/2008, 06:19 PM
Here's an interesting statistic to think about. Florida kicker is 11 of 12, and 75 for 75 on extra points. His only miss came in the 40-49 yard range. Oklahoma's kicker is 8 of 11 and 92 of 95 on extra points. Two of his misses came from 30-39 and one from 40-49. Both teams obviously score more touchdowns than field goals, but if it comes down to kickers (and kicking games, as well, particularly with Murray out), Florida has a significant advantage.

SeaCay
12/18/2008, 06:22 PM
Drivel deleted...

And yes, I have had the Robinson/Tebow discussion with people in NYC. I talked about it with the president of Sports Illustrated after the Missouri game, as a matter of fact. A bunch of sportwriters (the ones who don't go home to their Kirk Herbstreit love doll) are starting to notice. Few outside the SEC worship Tebow the way you do. I thought he clearly deserved the Heisman last year. This year I didn't think he should've been in New York, and there are a bunch of people outside the Southeast who feel the same way.

Which is why he won the ESPN Sportsnation fan poll for the 2008 Heisman?

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 06:24 PM

Heh.

delhalew
12/18/2008, 06:27 PM

Am I an @sshole if I question the sanity of a person sitting there texting ESPN, a network many of us have decided to avoid unless theres a good game being played.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 06:29 PM
I think he won on Yahoo! Answers once, too.

The Maestro
12/18/2008, 06:42 PM
Here's an interesting statistic to think about. Florida kicker is 11 of 12, and 75 for 75 on extra points. His only miss came in the 40-49 yard range. Oklahoma's kicker is 8 of 11 and 92 of 95 on extra points. Two of his misses came from 30-39 and one from 40-49. Both teams obviously score more touchdowns than field goals, but if it comes down to kickers (and kicking games, as well, particularly with Murray out), Florida has a significant advantage.

Firm grip, Captain Obvious. No one will debate the kicking game. Safe to say OU fans hope it doesn't come down to that.

delhalew
12/18/2008, 06:52 PM
Firm grip, Captain Obvious. No one will debate the kicking game. Safe to say OU fans hope it doesn't come down to that.

Life is good when its easier just to go ahead and get the six.

Stoops blew my mind when he went for the field goal on 4th and 2 near the endzone on the first drive in the Missouri game.

I joked "wow, we are trying not to run up the score with 58 min. left to play".

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 07:01 PM

Seems OJ was acquitted as well.

Good rhetoric pwns the ignorant lemming-horde. Ask former Sportsnation poll champion Booger Daniel how that works.

engigator
12/18/2008, 10:06 PM
Big XII! Big XII!

Dude seriously. Like I said you have a few nice players. So does Vanderbilt. But neither you or Vanderbilt field an enitre team of talent like the UFs and OhEwes of the world. Yes I just compared you to Candy again!

SeaCay
12/18/2008, 10:29 PM
I think he won on Yahoo! Answers once, too.

That and it shoots a nice big hole in your argument that Tebow isn't known outside of the southeast.

texas bandman
12/18/2008, 11:33 PM
Speaking of Pink elephants, when I was in the Pride at the 1980 Orange Bowl, we went to a New Year's Eve party and there were quite a few pink elephants. I wonder if they're related. :D

GatorStamp
12/18/2008, 11:36 PM
Hi guys! I hope you all are better sports than the fans over at Bucknuts. :P

SeaCay
12/18/2008, 11:38 PM

url?

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 01:07 AM

We certainly play them better.....:P

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 01:19 AM
How could we not be good sports? Winning all the time for 85 out of the last 100 years makes for cheery, rosy cheeked fans.

soonerboomer93
12/19/2008, 03:07 AM

I could easily say that other than Tebow, we have 4 guys who've accounted for multiple TDs, and you only have 3 other than Robinson and use that to say we have mo' better athletes.

UF scored more points than OSU, both total and on average. Isn't that the real purpose of an offense, to score more points? By that standard UF has a superior offense to all but 2 teams in the country, one of which we'll face on 1/8, none of which include OSU.

UF has the number 10 ranked scoring defense vs. top 25 teams. OU is the best in the Big 12 at number 28, which to me was the biggest reasoning for voting them ahead of Texas, who had the number 47 D against the AP top 25. OSU is 83rd.

We've played 3 teams ranked higher than OU in scoring defense against the top 25, and in each case (even Mississippi) we scored more than their average allowed.

OU has played one team ranked higher than UF (TCU) and blew them out, but when they played UT, they scored 2.5 more points than what UT allowed against top 25 teams.

To reach 30, OU will have to score 10 more points than UF allowed against top 25 teams.

If UF scores 10 more points than OU allowed against top 25 teams, that gives them 38.

There's my turn at twisting stats. Of course we're still faced with the chicken/egg of good defenses/bad offenses (or vice-verse). I don't think that's going to be settled, except on the field.

lets see, UF played 3 top 25 teams? 1 Top 15 team

OU played 6 top 25 teams, 5 top 15 teams.

Out of curiousity, what's the offensive rankings of those top 25 teams you played?

What's the offensive rankings of the top 25 teams OU played?

Piware
12/19/2008, 03:39 AM
Can't you just say that Florida hasn't seen an offense like OU, and that OU hasn't seen a defense like Florida and that it's going to be a good game?

All this comparing OSU to Florida is a little silly. They play the same style offense, yes. And how do you know they have better athletes? Cmon, just say it's going to be an exciting game.

I wonder if our Gator friends were riveted to the television everytime the Pokes played?! Gotta hand it to you all - even the Poke fans here in OK couldn't get most of their games because they weren't televised much. That must be on heck of a satellite dish ya got there Gatorboy.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 12:39 PM

I submit the Purple Amphibians:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5375/hfrogse2.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)
Tango.................... Charlie..................Uniform

Ok, maybe not technically amphibians.