PDA

View Full Version : LEAVE BILLY ALONE!

Okla-homey
12/16/2008, 02:17 PM
I'm tired of all these Billy Sims haterz.

Dangit! He's a great Sooner legend, makes deelishus ribs, and has always been very nice to me when I have encountered him.

Dear Billy Sims haterz: Read this and be ashamed of yourself:

Bradford OK with Sims

Sims says he's sorry for shouting 'Boomer!' during presentation.

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
Published: 12/16/2008 2:27 AM
Last Modified: 12/16/2008 3:09 AM

NEW YORK — On the biggest night of his life, Sam Bradford had a message for Billy Sims.

"I love Billy," Bradford said.

Bradford was formally welcomed into the Heisman family Monday night during a black-tie banquet at the New York Hilton in midtown Manhattan. Bradford, the 73rd winner of college football's most prestigious award, was moved by the presence of 20 previous Heisman winners, by his acceptance into one of the sports world's greatest fraternities, by his new place in the universe.

Throughout the four-hour event, he stared at his trophy, spoke at length with Heisman Trust president William Dockery and, for a few minutes, was a little kid again while chatting it up with NHL legend Pat LaFontaine, who was presented the Heisman Humanitarian Award for his work with sick children.

But afterward, Bradford wanted OU fans who were upset by Sims' overtures on Saturday night — 11 times he shouted "Boomer!" after Bradford was announced this year's winner — to chill out.

Radio shows and message boards were lit up Monday with complaints that Sims' antics — the same antics he used at Jason White's announcement in 2003 — detracted from Bradford's moment, that Sims' uncontrolled shouts embarrassed himself, Bradford and the university.

No way, Bradford said.

"I didn't feel like he took anything in any way away from me," Bradford said Monday during a VIP post-party reception. "I think he made my moment even more special by sharing the traditions of the university with me as I accepted the award. So I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with Billy yelling 'Boomer.' "

During the banquet, Sims served for the third year in a row as auctioneer of a football signed by 26 Heisman winners (the ball was sold for $25,000). But before he began, Sims spoke in hushed tones about his performance Saturday.

"I've been getting some bad press," he said. "I apologize to the Bradford family and the Heisman Trust if I crossed a boundary. But, there's no way I'd try to upstage your son's day.

"I love the university so much," he said, choking back tears. "I try to be a spokesman for them. And I will continue to be myself and let people know about the great state of Oklahoma. And I will never, ever stop saying 'Boomer Sooner,' regardless of who don't like it."

At that, a shout of "Boomer!" rose from the audience, and Sims shouted back, "Sooner!"

As Sims offered his apology, Kent Bradford — Sam's father, who was among Sims' blockers in 1978 and '79 — edged forward from his chair and smilingly waved Sims' apologies back at him.

"That complaint did not come from the Bradford family," Kent Bradford said later. "I want that made very clear. That apology wasn't needed. It's just Billy being Billy. He's proud of the University of Oklahoma, and that's the way he shows it."

"I honestly didn't think Billy did anything wrong, and he got up there tonight and apologized for it," Sam Bradford said. "I was kind of like, 'What are you doing? That's what you do.' He said (Boomer) tonight and no one yelled 'Sooner.' I was disappointed. I wanted to stand up and yell 'Sooner' for him."

Sims, standing behind a podium with an OU pennant draped from it, turned and looked Bradford in the eye.

"Sam," he said, "your dad and I were teammates, and he was a part of my Heisman Trophy-winning years. And that's why I am so happy for you and the University of Oklahoma."

Sanford Wurmfeld, the Heisman trustee who made Saturday's announcement, admired Sims' passion.

"If anyone thinks the Trust got to him, that's not the case," Wurmfeld said. "He's a fine gentleman. We're very proud to have him as a member of this fraternity."

The past Heisman winners sat on the front row of the dais, and other dignitaries — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, OU athletic director Joe Castiglione among them — sat on the top row. Bradford's was the seat of honor, beside the podium and just in front of a 12-foot poster of himself.

On either side of the poster were similar shots of 1958 winner Pete Dawkins of Army and 1983 winner Mike Rozier of Nebraska. They were honored on their silver and gold anniversaries.

Dawkins, a Rhodes Scholar and retired brigadier general, spoke reverently about the Heisman tradition. He spoke on the notion of team and how at the root of a team is loyalty.

"Every one (of the winners) has come here and accepted that award on behalf of their team," he said. "The notion of team has become indelibly embedded in what the Heisman stands for.

"Sam Bradford is someone I'm convinced will carry the Heisman banner and carry it triumphantly. It's my privilege to stand here on this stage and dream that dream with him."

Afterward, Bradford sat alone in a private booth, still dressed in his black tuxedo vest and jacket, a crimson cast on his left hand and a Sharpie pen in his right. He was deeply moved by Dawkins' words.

"Obviously there's been a lot of thoughts go through my mind since I won the trophy, and I've thought about it some," he said, "but listening to him speak and talk about me carrying on some of the values and traditions that come with the Heisman, his thoughts, his confidence in me to represent the name 'Heisman Trophy Winner,' I think that probably meant more to me than anything anybody else said to me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2008, 02:24 PM
HE's A HUMAN!!!!! :pop:

SoonerJack
12/16/2008, 02:28 PM
Awesome article.

OU4LIFE
I like Billy, and respect the career he had at OU, I only wish he was just as enthusiastic about paying his child support as he is about yelling boomer at heisman ceremonies.

BlondeSoonerGirl
Heh.

BillySims
12/16/2008, 02:30 PM
BOOMER!!!

OU4LIFE
12/16/2008, 02:32 PM
SOONER.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/16/2008, 02:33 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/brianpou1/youtube__leave_britney_alone_200709.jpg

:les: LEAVE BILLY ALONE!

BillySims
12/16/2008, 02:34 PM
SOONER.
BOOMER!!!

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/16/2008, 02:35 PM
It's best just to let him finish.

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2008, 02:36 PM
Let Billy be Billy. You will no SOONER stop Billy from yelling BOOMER than stopping Olevet drankin juice.:)

Hot Rod
12/16/2008, 02:36 PM
Last I checked Billy has been acting the same as long as I've seen him. When Jason won the Heisman...same. When Jason's statue was unveiled before the Miami game...same. When Sam won the Heisman...same.

Just showing some school spirit...

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2008, 02:45 PM
You know, many years from now this story will be a sports legend.

SoonerStormchaser
12/16/2008, 02:53 PM
I had no problem with it...and those who did, CHILL OUT!

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2008, 02:53 PM
You know, many years from now this story will be a sports legend.

like that time when Billy leaped over the WHOLE Texas defense in a single bound!............................................ ...

.................................................. ....................that was great :pop:

Tulsa_Fireman
12/16/2008, 03:48 PM
Storytime.

When my brother and I were kids, we had two must-do items on the agenda come winter time. Both were best with snow.

1) Sled track of doom. From far corner of the west pasture, down through the walkthrough gate, across the backyard, down past the wellhouse and into the east pasture. It took as much time to build it as we spent sledding it. Packing down snow for a solid quarter mile. Good times.

2) Billy Sims. That's what we called it. We'd play 'Billy Sims'. We'd pile up snow and make a wall. The point was to run full tilt, football tucked, and dive over the wall, just like Billy for the touchdown. We'd do it in the fall when we felt rough enough to pull all the goatheads out of our body, but when the snow fell, this was a 5 star, automatic lock.

The guy is so awesome we named a game after the guy. That's pretty frickin' awesome.

12/16/2008, 04:15 PM
Come on... if for no other reason...

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/56/566068.jpg

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/16/2008, 04:31 PM
Come on... if fro no other reason...

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/56/566068.jpg

Fixed

StoopTroup
12/16/2008, 04:56 PM
ka3PjPW3gk8

tommieharris91
12/16/2008, 05:04 PM
Well... I don't know about the deelishus ribs part, but everything else is true.

KC//CRIMSON
12/16/2008, 05:16 PM
Billy is the man and he voted for Obama!

bri
12/16/2008, 05:43 PM
Anyone who has a problem with Billy is cordially invited to suck a dick.

Billy rules.

Dio
12/16/2008, 06:00 PM
My question is: if all those OU people were there (Stoops, Joe C, etc.), why was Sam the only one yelling "SOONER!"? ;)

StoopTroup
12/16/2008, 06:04 PM
Anyone who has a problem with Billy is cordially invited to suck a dick.

Billy rules.

OUMartin...are you listening? :D

StoopTroup
12/16/2008, 06:05 PM
My question is: if all those OU people were there (Stoops, Joe C, etc.), why was Sam the only one yelling "SOONER!"? ;)

BECAUSE IT WAS HIS MUTHER****ING SHOW!

BOOMER!

BillySims
12/16/2008, 06:10 PM
THATS RIGHT BABY, THATS RIGHT!!

BOOMER MUTHA F'K SOONER!!!!!!

http://billysimsbbq.com/store/images/memphis-style-3.jpg

StoopTroup
12/16/2008, 06:12 PM
SOONER OR LATER THEY IS GONNA GET IT BILLY ! ! !

BillySims
12/16/2008, 06:13 PM
I'M GONNA LEARN YA'LL ONE WAY OR NOTHA.

BOOMER!!!

StoopTroup
12/16/2008, 06:16 PM
SOONER ! ! !

OUHOMER
12/16/2008, 06:24 PM
Great article. I am glad the Bradfords were not offended, I know I wasn't.

But you should have heard trabor today. He was bashing fans who did not have a problem with Billy yelling Boomer.
but he is a dick anyway

StoopTroup
12/16/2008, 06:25 PM
Great article. I am glad the Bradfords were not offended, I know I wasn't.

But you should have heard trabor today. He was bashing fans who did not have a problem with Billy yelling Boomer.
but he is a dick anyway

I'm gonna throw a shoe at Trabor the next time he's in Norman.

KsSooner
12/16/2008, 07:37 PM
Last year, a couple of days after Christmas, my wife and I were at the Woodland Hills mall in Tulsa. We were walking by this store and I just stopped and pointed. My wife asked me what was wrong and all I could do was point. "That's Billy Sims, only my alltime favorite Sooner". So of course she pushed me in there and I spent about 10 minutes stammering like an eight year old kid while talking to him. Spent $50 on an autographed football(I would have paid $100)

Anyway, Billy can do anything he wants. Embarrassing? Maybe a little but that's Billy. Just makes my football a little more special as he signs it
Billy Sims #20 '78 Heisman BOOMER!

12/16/2008, 07:59 PM
Billy Sims gave me a kidney once.

bri
12/16/2008, 08:58 PM
God bless 'im.

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2008, 10:06 PM
which is going to be greater?

the number of 'Boomers' Billy chanted?

or

the number of Sims related threads on the football board??

Babalugats....gotta bet here! :pop:

BigRedJed
12/17/2008, 12:26 AM
Mmm... ...ribs...

BillySims
12/17/2008, 10:09 AM
Mmm... ...ribs...

BOOMER-Q!!!

http://billysimsbbq.com/images/Billy_at_the_Smoker.jpg