PDA

View Full Version : First game memories

Soonersince57
12/16/2008, 01:31 PM
Well, with the DeMarco news and being called an "idjit" by another Sooner Fan, I thought I would try something positive and see what some of your memories were of your first game attended. Mine was in 1962 when I was 5. Barely remember it, but I think it was either K-State or Kansas and it seems like the guns were going off a lot, but maybe not. My mother warned me about a man that sit in front of them with a cigar and sure enough he was there. It was hot and I was drinking too many cokes. My mother eventually had enough and made me do down below with her to be closer to the bathrooms. :P

sooner59
12/16/2008, 01:48 PM
I was in 6th grade back in 1996. We got beat by Texas Tech. I was surrounded by empty seats in the NEZ. We had (insert irrelevant coach here) coaching, and Justin Fuente at QB. Times could have been better. At least I got to see a few guys that would eventually play in the NFL and got to get on the field and take a picture with the cheerleaders. I am so appreciative of where our program is now.

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2008, 01:50 PM
1972 OU-MU. It was homecoming and i was about 10 years old. I remember the floats, the Pride, the Greeks getting excited at the half time announcements (probably because of homecoming), a little bit of football.

good times :D

zulumarc06mc
12/16/2008, 04:04 PM
Bowling Green. First day of the 2004 season. Got to see AD get his first carry. Ill never forget that.

Couple of Interesting things about that day:

1)AD got exactly 100 yds on the way to the record books.

2)On the radio on the way to the stadium someone called in saying that they thought DJ Wolfe would be the better RB in the long run.

3)Ate at Donught King for the first time

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/16/2008, 04:17 PM
Also Bowling Green 2004. First game in a Pride uniform, didn't really know/care very much about OU football. I remember being confused with Antonio Perkins/Adrian Peterson, and which one was a bigger deal. But (and I'm sure all Pride alumni can attest to this) I'll never forget running out of that tunnel right before my first pregame. Gimme Some Love, slapping the Pride sign, staring up in terror at the West Stands and the press box, hoping to God I don't f*ck up my drill, only playing about 25% of the music because you're trying not to f*ck up your drill, and the magical 2004 season that followed that converted me into a devoted believer.

Some men experience this feeling the first time they make love, 16th-century Mexican peasants see the Virgin up on a hill, the Monkees understood it when they saw her face. But my life was never the same once OU football got into my blood.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/16/2008, 04:29 PM
Also Bowling Green 2004. First game in a Pride uniform, didn't really know/care very much about OU football. I remember being confused with Antonio Perkins/Adrian Peterson, and which one was a bigger deal. But (and I'm sure all Pride alumni can attest to this) I'll never forget running out of that tunnel right before my first pregame. Gimme Some Love, slapping the Pride sign, staring up in terror at the West Stands and the press box, hoping to God I don't f*ck up my drill, only playing about 25% of the music because you're trying not to f*ck up your drill, and the magical 2004 season that followed that converted me into a devoted believer.

Some men experience this feeling the first time they make love, 16th-century Mexican peasants see the Virgin up on a hill, the Monkees understood it when they saw her face. But my life was never the same once OU football got into my blood.

I will attest to running out of the tunnel for the first time. I was terrified I would screw up my drill. It was an amazing feeling though!

As for my first game, 1995...North Texas. I think we won 50-0 that day, and I believe it was Drunkenburger's first game as head coach, but I fell in love with OU football then and as they say, the rest is history!

Pricetag
12/16/2008, 04:34 PM
Mine was the Nebraska game in 1992.

The first half was pretty decent. The Sooners drove deep into Nebraska territory thrice, but had to settle for field goals. I remember a Nebraska kick bouncing off one upright and the crossbar and out. The Sooners trailed by one at the half, but the second half was all Huskers. Number 44 ran the ball all over us. Cale Gundy took a sack in the end zone for a safety, and the boo birds were out, not to be sated until Steve Collins came in for mop up duty. A freshman QB for Nebraska, number 15, came in around the same time. I've often wondered what became of him.

In the end, the Sooners lost, 33-9. One of the guys who rode to Norman with us puked in the car on the way home, and they never cleaned it up. I had my shirt up over my nose the whole way home.

BigDeezy
12/16/2008, 04:36 PM
The first time I attended an OU game was an ignoble one. It was on November 8, 1975, the game where Kansas handed a defeat to one of our best teams ever.

I was invited to attend by a church member who had season tickets.

In spite of the horror of the day's play, the atmosphere was the likes of which something I had never experienced. Just taking in the tradition and awesomeness of gameday was unbelieveable.

I followed the Sooners on the radio and TV through the years, and was finally able to purchase season tickets of my own in 1999, Bob Stoops' first year. What a ride it has been!!

virginiasooner
12/16/2008, 04:47 PM
1978, West Virginia, 53-10. halfway up the northeast corner, getting a really bad sunburn. The West Virginia band performed, but by the end of the third quarter, they were passing out from the heat in their wool uniforms.

Wishboned
12/16/2008, 05:03 PM
1979 Iowa State. I was 13. My stepdad took me. He wasn't that excited because it was a blowout 38-9. But I got to see Billy Sims play.

Soonersince57
12/16/2008, 05:20 PM

25%? I was lucky to do that. I believe my first game in the Pride was in '75 for the Oregon game (we won something like 62-7). It had come a monsoon all week and one of the things the halftime program did was have all of us lay down on field facing west and play to the new upper deck. Never been so wet . . . .

OUstud
12/16/2008, 05:25 PM
First one I can remember was UNT, 1995. I was in kindergarten, and I remember 2 things: we sat high up in the NW corner, and my little brother made us leave early, which made me mad.

SoonerSoph
12/16/2008, 06:19 PM
I went to several when I was a little kid, but the first one I truly remember was John Blake's last game in 1998 when I was 10. It was against Tech and I believe we had a block field goal returned for a touchdown by a rather large lineman that won it for us. My dad's friend would ask me what plays we should run and everytime I told him something to DeMond Parker. The same friend asked me whether or not the win bought John Blake another year and I said "yes." It's a good thing the 10 year old me wasn't the athletic director.

delhalew
12/16/2008, 07:00 PM
I did not get to go to a game until I became a student and got those cheap season tickets. They were all pretty cheap back then relative to now.

1994...I got to experience Gomer Gibbs, Smells of bourbon, and John Blake.

It was one of the hugest events in my life I got to bring my father who had never been to a game despite being a lifelong fan. Probably the best time we ever had. It was like he was a kid. We were in the student section yelling and screaming our heads off.

I believe Tech was the first home game. That was the year they went back to grass(you young'uns prolly don't remember the turf or the losing). It was very special, even though it fell between Switzer and Stoops.

We did win that game by the way.

josh09
12/16/2008, 07:56 PM
UTEP in 2000. Living in Houston, i couldnt get up to our great state to see many games before this, though i tend to go to about 3 per year now.

josh09
12/16/2008, 07:57 PM
Oh, and it was awesome. :D

Flagstaffsooner
12/16/2008, 08:10 PM
I dont remember my first game. I was so young, but Bud was on the sidelines.

swardboy
12/16/2008, 08:15 PM
The first time I attended an OU game was an ignoble one. It was on November 8, 1975, the game where Kansas handed a defeat to one of our best teams ever.

I was invited to attend by a church member who had season tickets.

In spite of the horror of the day's play, the atmosphere was the likes of which something I had never experienced. Just taking in the tradition and awesomeness of gameday was unbelieveable.

I followed the Sooners on the radio and TV through the years, and was finally able to purchase season tickets of my own in 1999, Bob Stoops' first year. What a ride it has been!!

My first game was the Mizzou game right after yours. Watched Lil' Joe take it 73 yards to the house and make the two point conversion for a one point win, and the salvation of a national championship season.

birddog
12/16/2008, 08:26 PM
all i remember is swervin curvin richards getting planted on his toucus all day.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
12/16/2008, 08:37 PM
I don't remember the exact game but I remember going with my dad to a Missouri or Kansas game when we just rolled them like 70-0. Had to be 86 or 87. I was 8. Patrick Collins and Anthony Stafford where in the backfield, Jamelle was running the option and we were hangin half-a-hundred on everyone. Those were the days. Now I look forward to taking my son to his first game. Sooner Magic baby!!

AlbqSooner
12/16/2008, 09:20 PM
Syracuse 62 (might have been 63) With about 4 minutes left OU was trailing 3-0 but had the ball on about the 'Cuse 45. Hand off to a Sophomore halfback over left tackle. (Freshmen were not eligible then) As he hit the line about 5 Cuse defenders swarmed him. Suddenly he came out the other side minus one shoe and took it to the house.

On the ensuing kickoff the Syracuse returner got up a head of steam with everyone standing and yelling When he got to the 20 a Sophomore lineman hit him so hard the entire stadium fell silent for a split second, kinda went ohhhhh, and then erupted with cheering.

The Sophomore halfback was Joe Don Looney. His first carry as a Sooner.
The Sophomore lineman was Ralph Neely.
Final Score OU 7 Syracuse 3
Good times.

bluedogok
12/16/2008, 09:39 PM
1971 OU-Colorado, I was 7 and don't remember much from it.

Ace
12/16/2008, 10:10 PM
Granddad took me to Norman, all I remember was THE BOZ.

MissouriSooner
12/17/2008, 12:21 AM
1963, my senior year in high school at Barnsdall, OK, our coaches loaded up a bunch of us football players in a school bus and made the very long - much longer in those days - trip to Norman to see OU play Kansas. Bud's last team beat the KU team that featured All-American - and future NFL HOF player - Gayle Sayers. It's hard to even realize now how rarely we got to see the Sooners in those days, especially when we lived so far away from Norman. Televised games were rare back then, and most game were experienced listening to a small transistor radio, if you were fortunate enough to be near enough to an AM station to pick up the game. I will never forget the thrill that we all got from attending that game, and only years later did it dawn on us that we had witnessed history: A game in the last year of Bud Wilkinson's coaching career - the legendary coach by which all others since have been compared, and getting to see one of the best running backs in college and NFL history. I was so captured by the entire spectacle that I decided right then that I wanted to attend OU and experience many more such afternoons of football bliss. I came to OU in the Fall of 1964, and with a break in my studies to give Uncle Sam some Army time, was graduated from OU in December 1971, after having witnessed - as a student - the 1969 Heisman season of Steve Owens, and after having attended - just a few weeks prior to graduation - The Game Of The Century. It was a magical time to be on campus at Norman.

pott_2
12/17/2008, 12:28 AM
October 28, 2000 OU v. nebbish

I got to watch all those lucky fans get maced before I got on the field to carry the goal post around.

I followed that up with a trip to the Orange Bowl that season.

MyT Oklahoma
12/17/2008, 01:20 AM
November 1974.. OU versus KU in Lawrence. The Number One ranked Sooners prevailed 44 or 45 to 14 although it was 14 to 14 at halftime. I bought a 1970 AMX in Kansas City MO earlier in the day. I had that car until after my divorce in 2000. I miss the car of course but not the wife.

October 1978.. OU versus Kansas State in Norman. Billy "Boomer" Sims ran for over 200 yards as I experienced the Snake Pit for the first time. Sweet!

October 2002.. OU versus MizzOU in Columbia. The first time I took my daughter to watch the Sooners. Some drunken MizzOU fan about my age was pissing in the parking lot before the game for all to see. Really classy fans at MizzOU, huh? We won in part thanks to a fake field goal. That was the first of seven games that I've taken my daughter to, all of which OU has won. :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 04:26 AM
Despite being born in Norman and either watching or listening to every game since birth in 69 I was about 15 before I finally conned my uncle and step-dad into actually taking me to a game. Luckily it was a fairly packed house in '85 against Kansas. We won 48-6 which was nice after the sore taste I'd got via TV in the earlier miami game.

Game was great, I was drinking from their flasks and really enjoying the buzz, the atmosphere, and the game.

of course, my favorite part at that age was before the game when we got behind a group of OU cheerleaders that set the standard for me as far as they go...actually BUILT and the source of my frustration every time they zoom in on our fairly attarctive in the face bunch of teenage boy bodies they have on the squad the last year or 2.

The story goes on to me sitting at home in small town Texas watching as we captured #6. The way I felt it sure didn't seem like I'd be an adult in the same town 15-16 years later before I saw #7.

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 04:30 AM
October 2002.. OU versus MizzOU in Columbia. The first time I took my daughter to watch the Sooners. Some drunken MizzOU fan about my age was pissing in the parking lot before the game for all to see. Really classy fans at MizzOU, huh? We won in part thanks to a fake field goal. That was the first of seven games that I've taken my daughter to, all of which OU has won. :D

Lovely...you take your girl to her first game only to have a drunken tigger pissing on the memory. I would faked a field goal right into his nuts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ulijon/pee.jpg

kc sooner
12/17/2008, 08:56 AM
1984 in Lawrence - Bad memories, I was 11 so excited to get to see OU in person and we lost to KU. What a first game