PDA

View Full Version : SEC vs. BIG12

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/16/2008, 01:16 AM
Ok I just made an uber long spreadsheet of all the games played in the SEC and B12. Worked on it all day today at work and home. Yes I was bored.

This is only counting FBS games.

SEC teams avg. to score 25.41 PPG
SEC teams avg. to give up 20.65 PPG

The teams that the SEC play score 25.52 PPG
The teams that the SEC play give up 21.97 PPG

SEC defense gives up 4.87 less the avg. of the opponents offense.
SEC offense score's 3.44 over the avg. D they play

Difference = 8.31

Big12 teams avg. to score 35.80 PPG
Big12 teams avg. to give up 29.17 PPG

The teams that the Big12 play score 33.34 PPG
The teams that the Big12 play give up 28.76 PPG

Big12 defense gives up 4.17 less the avg. of the opponents offense.
Big12offense score's 7.04 over the avg. D they play

Difference = 11.21

SEC gives up .7 less points per game vs. their opponents avg. than the B12 does.

But

Big12 scores 3.6 more per game vs. their opponents avg. than the SEC does.

So in a nut shell. SEC defense is .7 points better per game than Big 12
And Big 12 offenses are 3.6 points better per game than SEC

Ok, now talk amongst yourselves.

Crucifax Autumn
12/16/2008, 01:20 AM
I'm still as confused as I was before! lol

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/16/2008, 01:27 AM

My eyes are so cross eyes from working on this, I don't think I can explain it tonight. If someone else doesn't figure out my crap then I'll do it tomorrow for you.

But I'll tell you this, it's good news for us.

insuranceman_22
12/16/2008, 01:51 AM
W the F? Nice analysis, but I'm lost.....

Crucifax Autumn
12/16/2008, 01:57 AM
My eyes are so cross eyes from working on this, I don't think I can explain it tonight. If someone else doesn't figure out my crap then I'll do it tomorrow for you.

But I'll tell you this, it's good news for us.

Actually I get it and I think it's fairly accurate, but I've thought the same of every other analysis/system I've seen: They all add up.

I gotta go with my heart 90% and 10% to these things and say we're gonna destroy them with, oddly enough, team speed combined with major power.

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/16/2008, 02:17 AM
Ok I just re-worded it. Tell me if it's easier now.
It's basically talking about the strength of offense and defense that Big12 and SEC schools play. And the difference in how they handle them.

Crucifax Autumn
12/16/2008, 03:24 AM
Still seems reasonable to me, but the data would seem to be better with more common opponents and head to head matchups.

Overall I think it bodes well for us but I'm sure we'll see some well thought out posts soon explaining why none of this matters. I think it both does and doesn't.

Jmorales22
12/16/2008, 03:13 PM
I think something that works a lot better than all these statistical anlayses is the eye test. Anybody who's watched football for long enough can see that Tennessee and Auburn have horrible offenses, and that Missouri's defense is terrible. But Texas Tech's defense is pretty good, and Texas's defense is quite good, and Oklahoma State's defense is okay. Oklahoma's defense has looked like one of the best in the country at times, and one of the worst in the country at times. Injuries have had their part in it. Florida's offense looks like it's one of the best in the country, ala oklahoma state...defensively they look ok but they haven't wowed me.

Remember most of the players on this florida defense were there last year, when they were getting lit up. Another year of maturity helps, but so do the train wrecks at the likes of LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee.

texas bandman
12/16/2008, 03:36 PM
Ok I just made an uber long spreadsheet of all the games played in the SEC and B12. Worked on it all day today at work and home. Yes I was bored.

This is only counting FBS games.

SEC teams avg. to score 25.41 PPG
SEC teams avg. to give up 20.65 PPG

The teams that the SEC play score 25.52 PPG
The teams that the SEC play give up 21.97 PPG

SEC defense gives up 4.87 less the avg. of the opponents offense.
SEC offense score's 3.44 over the avg. D they play

Difference = 8.31

Big12 teams avg. to score 35.80 PPG
Big12 teams avg. to give up 29.17 PPG

The teams that the Big12 play score 33.34 PPG
The teams that the Big12 play give up 28.76 PPG

Big12 defense gives up 4.17 less the avg. of the opponents offense.
Big12offense score's 7.04 over the avg. D they play

Difference = 11.21

SEC gives up .7 less points per game vs. their opponents avg. than the B12 does.

But

Big12 scores 3.6 more per game vs. their opponents avg. than the SEC does.

So in a nut shell. SEC defense is .7 points better per game than Big 12
And Big 12 offenses are 3.6 points better per game than SEC

Ok, now talk amongst yourselves.

So we should be 2.9 point favorites. What is the Vegas line?

HateTheWhorns
12/16/2008, 03:59 PM

Not sure my analysis is much better, but here are some stats that I pulled together that might shed some light on the subject.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126606

instigator
12/16/2008, 04:37 PM
Interesting numbers. Thanks for the post.

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 04:40 PM
An Arkansas reject coach with a Texas reject quarterback won in Gainesville this year...the same year they lost at home to Vandy. Yes, Vandy. The same Vandy that lost to Duke. And not in hoops.

Someone put that on a spreadsheet.

TheUnnamedSooner
12/16/2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah, but we lost to texas who lost to texas tech who lost to a team by 44pts.

HiFiGator
12/16/2008, 04:53 PM
Once again it sure seems like you are working awfully hard to try to convince yourself.

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 05:01 PM
Once again it sure seems like you are working awfully hard to try to convince yourself.

Yes. Ten seconds to type that post.

I'm exhausted from all the hard work.

I need some of those fresh legs your speedy RB's at Florida have which is why none of them gets to carry the ball all that much!

Stoop Dawg
12/16/2008, 07:54 PM

Let me try it the "SEC way"...

BIG 12 RULZ!!

SEC SUCCZ!!!1111

Better?

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/16/2008, 09:07 PM

No. Here we like to use what we call conjecture and facts when discussing things. Not run around saying we are SEC and our kids run faster because we invented speed, and no other program out there likes to recruit kids who are fast.

I wanted to see how much better SEC was at D. So I ran the numbers, and they are .7 PPG better than the Big12.

But the Big 12 offenses are much better than your SEC offenses by 3.6 PPG.

I honestly thought you guys would have quite a bit better numbers defensively. And they are great numbers, but I had no idea we would have numbers so close to you on D.

Having better offenses was a given in the Big 12.