PDA

View Full Version : OU now #4

Bosley
12/15/2008, 11:32 PM
In both AP and coaches, one spot ahead of texas. The rivalry is heating up even in basketball season.

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 07:28 AM
Do we deserve the ranking?

Yes, we have started good....and make no mistake, this team has the pieces to make a special season. But are we deserving of the ranking at this point?

Boomer.....
12/16/2008, 08:35 AM
At this point I think we do deserve the ranking. We are undefeated and have played the toughest OOC schedule in the Big 12. It is also hard for me to believe that this is a top 5 team after watching them throughout the season. AJ is playing much better. If we can get some consistent outside shooting, then we will be whole.

Texas_Fight
12/16/2008, 11:11 AM
Your team deserves the ranking because outside of UNC, there's not a single GREAT team out there. Top 5 is probably accurate for now. This season seems pretty watered down except for 1 team, and it'll probably be reflected in the NBA draft.

picasso
12/16/2008, 01:36 PM
we're not top 5, but certainly are top 10.

GrapevineSooner
12/16/2008, 01:42 PM
I'll say the same thing about these rankings as I do about the ones in football.

They don't mean anything in the middle of the year.

Or like Stoops says, they don't hand out trophies in September...or in December in basketball.

cheezyq
12/19/2008, 02:47 PM
I haven't really paid attention to the teams outside of OU yet, but considering that we're undefeated and have defeated a few ranked teams...I would say, sure. There are a few things I'd like to see happen before I say that we're elite, though. 1. Defeat a ranked team on the road. 2. Get up big on a decent team early and STAY THERE. 3. Consistently make open 3-pointers.

I think in the end we'll be a top 10-12 team and will probably get a 3 seed in the tourney. If we find a couple of consistent 3-point threats, we could be higher.

stoopified
12/20/2008, 10:41 AM
I think we are ranked too high at this point.We still need to pick up OUr outside shooting and develop more depth.Right now we are the WORST 3 point shooting team in the Big 12.In addition we are currently running just an 8 man rotation,O'Leary,Davis,Wright are the only bench players getting consistant pt.In particular IMHO we need to develop our frontcourt depth.Either Allen or Cannon need to get into the rotation because we will face bigger,stronger,and deeper post teams in the future(KU,Mizzou,UT).
I do think Capel is on top of the situation and will do what is best for this team.In time we could prove worthy of a #4 ranking but we are not there yet

SleestakSooner
12/20/2008, 10:59 AM
Foul trouble, lack of offensive rebounds and poor outside shooting... not to mention Ryan Wright as our best alternative for a big man off the bench. Any one of those things could have lost OU a game so far. But despite those glaring inadequacies this team wins.

Until they show us a loss I feel they deserve the ranking. We all see the flaws, but I have seen this team time and time again pull itself together and eek out a win when it looked like a loss was inevitable.

It still looks like a good bet that the Sooners will stay undefeated until they host Texas after dealing with three road games. We should know where this team stands after that pivotal game.

OUstudent4life
12/21/2008, 04:04 PM
It means absolutely nothing, but as of Sunday, Decmeber 21, 2008, we're #1 in the RPI.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

I wonder when the last time that happened was...

Cam
12/22/2008, 02:41 PM

My thoughts as well.

SleestakSooner
12/22/2008, 02:51 PM
for all of you saying OU shouldn't be in the top five... please enlighten us, who should be there instead?

shaun4411
12/22/2008, 03:05 PM
Until ou loses, i think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

then again a&m is 10-1 and isnt ranked. illinois is 10-1 and not ranked.

though arkansas isnt ranked, they are 8-1 so i it will definitely be a test.

Collier11
12/22/2008, 03:30 PM

Who would you put ahead of us? The only team I have seen that is def better than us right now is UNC...Pitt has flaws, duke has big flaws, KU is too young, UT is good about the same as us right now I would say. Uconn might be a tad better.

If our gaurds are shooting well, we can beat anyone in the country. That VCU team we played saturday is a hell of a team.

Cam
12/22/2008, 04:04 PM
It's not like this OU team doesn't have flaws either. Outside of UNC, everybody else is pretty close. We're still going thru long stretches of just plain ugly ball. That's an issue for me. Just feeling like you have to state that VCU is a hell of a team kind of says something to me.

The thing that has impressed me is that when Blake's been on the bench, we've been able to handle teams. Last year, that wouldn't have happened.

I don't know about you, but I'm a-ok with a top 10 team.

Collier11
12/22/2008, 04:43 PM
I never said we were the best team outsideo of UNC, I was replying to Picasso stating that we werent a top 5 team. Who is better? I didnt have to state anything about VCU, theyve proven this year and past that they are a hell of a team. They beat Kentucky this year already

Cam
12/22/2008, 05:06 PM
1) I agree with Picasso.

2) At times, I think you can pick any of the top 10 and say they've looked better. You can also say that we've looked better at times than them. Thus, it's pretty much a toss-up after UNC.

10 years ago, beating Kentucky would've been a big deal for a mid-major. Not so much anymore.

Collier11
12/22/2008, 05:16 PM
1st, I think we are agreeing without agreeing...I think that any of the Top 10 could be 2-10 right now. 2nd, Kentucky isnt what they were 5 years ago but they are still a pretty darn good team. With the way they finished last yr and the start to the season this year, Gillespie has them going in the right direction

Cam
12/22/2008, 09:16 PM
By the way, it was VMI that beat Kentucky, not VCU.

And for whatever reason, we're struggling with Rice. Doesn't look like anything's clicking.

Collier11
12/22/2008, 10:03 PM
crocker isnt shooting, was it VMI? My fault

Cam
12/22/2008, 10:15 PM
It's not just crocker, it's everybody but Blake and Willy.