PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley is an Idiot!!

SCxxSOONER
12/15/2008, 10:53 PM
Today CHarles Barkley demanded that the only reason Auburn chose to hire Gene Chizik over Buffalo coach Turner Gill is because Gill is an african- american. King Charles continues to show that he is completely incompetent.

catsigater
12/15/2008, 11:00 PM
Incompetent at what? He got your attention, which is the only thing CB cares about these days.

Regardless of why Auburn chose Chizik, it is puzzling. Yeah, I know the history. Ron Zook had history with Fl, and that didn't work so hot.

Although I've heard Chizik is a good recruiter (so was Zook.)

Maybe that's the plan. Let Chizik stock the pantry, then bring in someone who can win.

Ace
12/15/2008, 11:01 PM
Never cared for Barkley myself.

SCxxSOONER
12/15/2008, 11:02 PM
Incompetent at what? He got your attention, which is the only thing CB cares about these days.

Regardless of why Auburn chose Chizik, it is puzzling. Yeah, I know the history. Ron Zook had history with Fl, and that didn't work so hot.

Although I've heard Chizik is a good recruiter (so was Zook.)

Maybe that's the plan. Let Chizik stock the pantry, then bring in someone who can win.

I dont agree with the hire at Auburn however I highly doubt that it was racially motivated

catsigater
12/15/2008, 11:07 PM
I dont agree with the hire at Auburn however I highly doubt that it was racially motivated

Maybe, maybe not. I think most of these hires are more an "old boys network" kind of thing more than anything else. They're not "racial" except the old boys network is mostly white and folks tend to stick with their own kind.

But whether or not it was racial, you'll never convince Sir Charles. I'm sure he thinks OJ got screwed.

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 11:10 PM
Just a bit of additional information that might add to the analysis- Barkley was on Auburn's basketball coach hiring committee. Yes, he's a blowhard, but don't mistake volume for stupidity or ignorance.

SCxxSOONER
12/15/2008, 11:10 PM
But whether or not it was racial, you'll never convince Sir Charles. I'm sure he thinks OJ got screwed.

:D

SCxxSOONER
12/15/2008, 11:13 PM
Just a bit of additional information that might add to the analysis- Barkley was on Auburn's basketball coach hiring committee. Yes, he's a blowhard, but don't mistake volume for stupidity or ignorance.

I read something about him only being on the basketball committee if he they would pursue african-american coaches, and he submitted three coaches none of which were hired and he was removed from the committee. I know he says he has nothing against Chizik but to come out and say the only reason they didnt hire GIll was because of his race is pushing it. Maybe the AD at Auburn sees something beyond 5 wins in two yrs at ISU.

yermom
12/15/2008, 11:34 PM
well, apparently the did pick a white guy that never went to the dance over 3 black dudes that had

including Capel

snp
12/15/2008, 11:36 PM
Barkley said he presented three African-American candidates for consideration: former Indiana coach Mike Davis, then-Virginia Commonwealth coach Jeff Capel and then-UAB coach Mike Anderson.

Barkley said all three candidates wanted to coach at Auburn. Instead, the Tigers hired then-Chattanooga coach Jeff Lebo, a white candidate. Lebo has a 61-68 record in his fifth season at Auburn.

Barkley said he was removed from Auburn's search committee before Lebo was hired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3770769&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Looks like Barkley knew what he was doing. All 3 of those coaches are better than what they have.

oumartin
12/15/2008, 11:37 PM
According to what I understand Barkley talked with Turner Gill and Gill told Barkley he felt he was a token interview and that he felt Auburn had issues with his wife being white!

So don't bag on him too hard. Alot of what he has said came directly from Turner Gill

sooner518
12/15/2008, 11:40 PM
I think its naive to think race doesnt have ANYTHING to do with this. Not saying it was the sole factor, but this is the deep south we're talking about here.... :pop:

Crucifax Autumn
12/16/2008, 01:07 AM
If they'd have hired Gill Barkley woulda been on tv ranting about how he only got hired as a token coach for recruiting purposes.

When Barkley talks about anything besides race or politics it's funny, when he talks about those 2 things it's pathetic.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/16/2008, 01:43 AM
They are either stupid or racist...

insuranceman_22
12/16/2008, 01:50 AM
He was the DC when they went undefeated, that's why Chiz, not Gill got the job.

Crucifax Autumn
12/16/2008, 01:58 AM
That's the reasonable answer, but seriously...Would Charles get any attention by saying THAT???? lmao

adoniijahsooner
12/16/2008, 08:06 AM
Hey, you can't overlook that the sec has only hired one african american coach in their long storied history. It is still set in the deep south, where you regularly see rebel flags and grown *** women with missing teeth. I use to live in Chattanooga, TN; and never came across any racism myself, but that may be because I was living on a college campus during the time; but I have no doubt that the south has had a rougher time moving into the 21 century than the rest of the country. If the hiring committee is a bunch of old white guys who were born and raised in the south, I can only believe that they were exposed to the idea that blacks are great athletes, cotton pickers and breeders. It's only been 40 something years since the civil rights movement, and by the racial tension that existed during the election, you can't believe that is doesn't still exist in other areas of life. With all of that being said, Charles with his commentary and loose lips is only keeping this sort of thing going, by accusing Auburn of something that he has no solid evidence ever took place. Jason Whitlock, Stephen A. Smith, and idiots like Charles Barkley are giving the black youth a crutch to hold on to, so just in case they fail, they can always say "it is because I am black". Turner Gill may have went into the interview without a solid vision on how he would bring auburn back into power in the sec, but Barkley's fat *** is too myopic to see that. Chizik probably sat in their and told the truth; "hey no one can win in that hell they call ames, iowa. I have coached 2 championship defenses, and I can bring us back to mountain top. i may not get there with you, because you may fire my ***; but by and by Auburn will get there".

RedstickSooner
12/16/2008, 08:35 AM
Chizik was a stupid hire. Les Miles was a stupid hire. Certainly, it isn't outside the realm of possibility to suggest that a black coach with a white wife would be a hard sell in Alabama. I doubt that was the sole deciding factor. I think the larger issue was the desperate and egotistical hope so many of these ADs now operate under where they truly believe that they're smarter than all the rest of us. They don't want a coach with a pedigree who can be better. They want the guy who is going to turn out to be some kind of hidden treasure, and compete for national titles right away.

Plus, they're in the SEC, where folks still believe that if you have a truly suffocating defense, you can win with that alone. And while Chizik was their defco, they had a great D.

I still say that the best option for any of these teams which truly believe they belong among the elite is to go hire Leach. I don't see how TTech could possibly win a bidding war with one of the big dogs.

This is all our fault, really. When Bob came in and won a crystal football in two years, he created way unrealistic expectations for everyone else. A lot of ADs became more interested in upside than downside, which is why a guy with 5 wins in 2 years who also happened to preside over two very, very, very good defenses at two schools gets hired.

I was going to add something about modern Southern racism, but it doesn't seem football appropriate, so I'll just let it alone.

PujolsFan
12/16/2008, 08:45 AM
Charles is fun to listen to while commenting on a basketball game and what-not... but like mentioned above, when it comes to politics or race he comes off as a pompious @ss.

I am quite frankly tired of hearing the race card played when it suits someone.. REALLY tired of it. "Don't judge me because of the color of my skin, but you better give me a coaching job (insert anything here) because I'm African American"... it gets really old hearing it over and over. First I'm not suppose to judge you because of the color of your skin, but I AM suppose to give you a job solely because if the color of your skin?!?!? ... so which is it??

Just so you know, I'm a 39 yr old White (or should I say Euro-American... :) ) male who has friends of all race and color. Many of my closest friends are black... quite frankly I don't care what color your skin is, I'm more concerned w/your moral character and values than anything else.

I guess the Auburn fans will just have to see how the hire turns out in the next couple of years.

humblesooner
12/16/2008, 09:21 AM
When this subject is discussed, the main point of discussion is that there are currently 4 black coaches in D1, out of 119 programs.
How does Turner Gill moving to Auburn change that?
Maybe, Buffalo hires another black candidate to bring the nubmer to 5.
I think the Auburn deal is getting way too much press, while the 3% of all coaches should be the story.
I am one who believes that the "Network" is where coaches are hired and the black community has yet to work their way in to the network in D1 football.
If you will take a look at NCAA Basketball, you will see that minority coaches are just as capable as non-minority coaches.
I believe in my heart that the same is true of football.
Maybe it is just my perception, but it seems to me that the number of minority candidates is smaller than Non-minority candidates.
It is almost a Catch-22. The more candidates there are, the better the chances are for minority hirings. But until there are more minority hirings, the potential candidates are going to look at other profession opportunities.

S008NER
12/16/2008, 09:25 AM
The hiring of Chizik was stupid, but the hiring of Gill would not be much better. Take a look at Gill record vs BCS conference schools. Just not impressed with going 5-3 in the MAC. TCU's Patterson or Boise's Peterson would have been better choice.

MojoRisen
12/16/2008, 10:38 AM
When this subject is discussed, the main point of discussion is that there are currently 4 black coaches in D1, out of 119 programs.
How does Turner Gill moving to Auburn change that?
Maybe, Buffalo hires another black candidate to bring the nubmer to 5.
I think the Auburn deal is getting way too much press, while the 3% of all coaches should be the story.
I am one who believes that the "Network" is where coaches are hired and the black community has yet to work their way in to the network in D1 football.
If you will take a look at NCAA Basketball, you will see that minority coaches are just as capable as non-minority coaches.
I believe in my heart that the same is true of football.
Maybe it is just my perception, but it seems to me that the number of minority candidates is smaller than Non-minority candidates.
It is almost a Catch-22. The more candidates there are, the better the chances are for minority hirings. But until there are more minority hirings, the potential candidates are going to look at other profession opportunities.

Until there are more Black Coaches putting in the time being assistants working in programs that will promote and share knowledge - there will always be more Black Coaches getting fired because they are not qualified as head coaches compared to being hired on new. If people continue to press for numbers to start to be equal sooner than later- you will see more and more black coaches fail - compared to being succsessful. They do not magically learn how to be a great head football coach... come on

I am fine with programs at an institution level promoting minority growth in the area of coaching - more candidates more opportunity. Simply hirning someone because they are Black and maybe as qualified - doesn't make him the smart hire either...

I love Turner Gill- but why didn't he get the Cuse job if he interviews so well-Cuse of all Teams would be one that doesn't discriminate.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 11:02 AM
Personally, I think Charles has a point. He is an African-American sports hall-of-famer and personality who attended Auburn, and I can understand his frustration in long-attempting to give coaches of color a fair shake. We must presume he loves his school as much as Billy, Barry and you and I love ours.

Those of us on this board who have never lived in the deep-South cannot possibly understand what it would be like to walk in Barkley's shoes. Especially those of us that are not black.

My "kin'' all come from an impoverished area of Dixie where there are still 3 black towns for every white town...and the white town is where the stores and services are located. The people who live in the "satellite" towns come into the white town on Saturday to do their shopping and business, but you better believe they are gone by sunset. This is in 2008 and this is the type of culture Barkley was raised in, however, it wasn't anywhere near as tolerant during his childhood.

CB is larger-than-life, brash and honest and often reminds me of McEnroe or even Barry in his outspoken-ness. No, I don't agree with everything he says, but I respect him for having an opinion and rarely is it just thrown out there as hyperbole...I believe he is truthful in his observations.

The interesting thing to me is, Iowa State appears to have an opportunity to intice a coach to a job where he has an opportunity to make another program better, in an area he is familiar with and with a clear advantage in name recognition in the BigXII North recruiting areas. Can he make the Clones a championship team? Not likely, but he could make them a winner. It will be interesting to see what the ISU peeps do with this.

Scott D
12/16/2008, 11:55 AM
This thread has been amusing to me. Charles states something based on a belief told to him by Turner Gill. Charles uses the basketball coach hiring situation that he was involved in as verification for the Auburn mindset. The next question in the matter is why should the race of Gill's wife even matter in regards to his ability to be a head coach? Answer is simple, it shouldn't.

As for the Syracuse job? Plenty of people are ripping the 'Cuse for hiring a guy who has no head coaching experience over the other interviewees because he was a former 'Cuse player. If the guy does well then good, if he continues the team on the Greg Robinson or slightly better level, then the mockery of the 'Cuse will get worse. Especially if Buffalo continues to outperform them during that time span.

As to Chizik, apparently other than a handful of former Auburn players that he coached, the AD and the regents. He seems to be a more unpopular hire than Bo Pellini was when he was the "Co-Defensive Coordinator" here. Logic says he should do better at Auburn than he did at Iowa State just based on the kind of players he should be able to get. However, he could still be scrapping with Miss St. for last place in the division just as easily as competing with Alabama and LSU for the top of it.

The rest of you just need to get over the comments Charles had about NBA games in OKC.

Scott D
12/16/2008, 11:58 AM

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 12:08 PM

Best post of the thread!!

:P

Scott D
12/16/2008, 12:21 PM
Best post of the thread!!

:P

I'm sure I'll get carded for it, since it comments on the speed of the board itself.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2008, 12:47 PM
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 12:52 PM
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Speaking of the Dutch, it would seem wooden thongs would be splintery.

badger
12/16/2008, 12:54 PM
Regardless of who said it, it needed to be said: Black players, but not black coaches are everywhere in college football.

As glad as I am that Auburn didn't hire Jeff Capel (yay, Jeff! K-PRO! K-PRO!), I think Auburn is like those frustrating managers that will never push the red button themselves, but always make the easiest choice possible.

Admit it: We were all hesitant when Joe C. came back from a coaching search with an unknown young guy from Virginia Commonwealth that happened to hit one big shot at Duke as a player. However, we gave him time and now he's got us in the top 5 (or perhaps, Blake does, but who recruited Blake? Ok, so maybe Taylor did, but WHO RECRUITED TAYLOR?! Ok, so maybe KS did, but who coaches more exciting Sooner basketball than KS? Ok, so maybe Billy Ball did, but who is second ONLY to Billy Ball? That's right, JEFF CAPEL!)

Auburn was all like "Oh dearie, dear dear, we can't alienate our donors, so let's go with this white guy for our basketball coach! Oh, and since we lost to Alabama, let's chase Tommy Tubberville out! Oh, and since nobody with a name wants to coach here, let's go with a name they'll recognize from a few years ago and hope they haven't paid attention to him since!"

:rolleyes: Not that I mind. Auburn nearly edged us for a title game appearance a few years ago with a dirt-easy non-conference schedule.

ouwasp
12/16/2008, 01:00 PM
I'm surprised Auburn took Chizik over Leach... at least Mike is competitive in the Big 12.

As for Gill, who knows. But I'm wondering if other institutions will hesitate to visit with him now; if they don't hire him afterwards, here comes the race card.

BornandBred
12/16/2008, 01:08 PM
They are either stupid or stupid AND racist...

Fixed.

badger
12/16/2008, 01:11 PM
I'm surprised Auburn took Chizik over Leach... at least Mike is competitive in the Big 12.

As for Gill, who knows. But I'm wondering if other institutions will hesitate to visit with him now; if they don't hire him afterwards, here comes the race card.

Iowa State will take him, just to spite Auburn. Then, ISU will go undefeated through the Big 12 championship and take the north. Then, after a narrow loss to OU for the championship, ISU will get invited to the Rose Bowl to play USC (a dirt-easy schedule allowed Ohio State to slip into the title game vs. OU). In a strange, strange game of cardinal/gold uniforms, USC's 5-star recruits act like they are trying to preserve their health and fitness for the upcoming NFL draft. ISU takes the Rose Bowl, with their only loss of the year to the 9-time national champion Oklahoma Sooners, who took the championship.

Meanwhile, Auburn goes 0-12, attendance hits an all-time low and Gene Chizik cries more like a little whorn girl than Vince Young in the locker room now. The Tigers unfortunately instituted a no-fire clause in exchange for a lower, non-Saban-like salary.

Charles Barkley, meanwhile, goes back to making Chinese offending jokes about Yao Ming.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 01:16 PM

I think what we will see is more of this new version of: "wink, wink".

Universities like WhornU naming "Coaches in Waiting", thereby completely avoiding the fair-search issue completely, which in turn, raises it again.

Vicious circle.

Scott D
12/16/2008, 01:18 PM

I think the hesitation will be more on the part of Gill and other potential head coaches not wanting to be token interviews. Despite the "Rooney Rule" in the NFL, there are positions that be it the way the media reports the process or whatnot, where some coaches turn down the opportunity to interview because it's pretty obvious they'd be interviewing just to meet requirements.

Anyhow, what Gill said was said privately to Barkley. It's Barkley that made the conversation public.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 01:19 PM
Iowa State will take him, just to spite Auburn. Then, ISU will go undefeated through the Big 12 championship and take the north. Then, after a narrow loss to OU for the championship, ISU will get invited to the Rose Bowl to play USC (a dirt-easy schedule allowed Ohio State to slip into the title game vs. OU). In a strange, strange game of cardinal/gold uniforms, USC's 5-star recruits act like they are trying to preserve their health and fitness for the upcoming NFL draft. ISU takes the Rose Bowl, with their only loss of the year to the 9-time national champion Oklahoma Sooners, who took the championship.

Meanwhile, Auburn goes 0-12, attendance hits an all-time low and Gene Chizik cries more like a little whorn girl than Vince Young in the locker room now. The Tigers unfortunately instituted a no-fire clause in exchange for a lower, non-Saban-like salary.

Charles Barkley, meanwhile, goes back to making Chinese offending jokes about Yao Ming.

Baj, I like it when you're coffee'd up.

Scott D
12/16/2008, 01:26 PM

only problem with that is that the Auburn regents are so shady, they make SMU boosters look clean as a whistle.

badger
12/16/2008, 01:59 PM
Baj, I like it when you're coffee'd up.

This shizzle is more refreshing than a d@mn cup of coffee!
http://www.beveragesdirect.com/images/products/sundrop/sundrop-1.jpg
Drink one and you'll never want another Mountain Dew! :D

Oh, and while ISU won't immediately take the Big 12 North under Gill, I think it is very telling how quickly ISU fell into "Baylor North" status after their previous coach left. Sure, they gave us a scare last season in Ames, but Poke State does that too on occasion regardless of how good they are.

Iowa State needs to find someone that won't use their school as a stepping stone to another program. They need to find a hot young rising assistant or an alumnus that would want to stay there longer than two years after five wins (yes Gene, you were that pathetic. Don't try to claim your "body of work" or whatever, because we all know how well that argument works in the BCS).

If for no other reason, I want Iowa State to succeed so that Iowa sucks more :D It is funny to watch the Hawkeyes sink so much dough into a coach that can't even take them bowling every year :D

TripleOption14
12/16/2008, 02:31 PM
I think its naive to think race doesnt have ANYTHING to do with this. Not saying it was the sole factor, but this is the deep south we're talking about here.... :pop:

Na, this is the best post of the thread imo. I've heard from numerous sources (cowboys gut punch) that its almost as if time has not touched this part of the nation. Its completely backwards as far as race relations go and yes it is the deep south. For an area of our nation to still be this way, think this way, and act this way in 2009 (basically) is COMPLETELY EGREGIOUS on every level!!! And if my sources are correct then race would most definitely be part of the Cheesed!ck being named coach.

This is all assuming that my sources are indeed correct. :D

badger
12/16/2008, 02:37 PM
You don't even need sources, Triple, THEY. HIRED. GENE. CHIZIK!

Chizik! 5-19 Chizik! That's worse than the coach they just got rid of! If the SEC is truly the best conference, then he got that record against "worse teams" in their eyes!

For Auburn fans, this is the ultimate punch in the gut. Alabama got Nick Saban and assurance that they would do what it took to get to championship tier and out of sh!t-tier. Auburn, on the other hand, basically said through this hire that they're going to have a few years of transition until they had the guts to pull the trigger to get a top coach, or at least a rising star, and are content to sit the next few seasons out of bowl contention, Iron Bowl contention and SEC contention. Championship contention?! To quote LSUfreek, "SABAN LOL!"

Scott D
12/16/2008, 02:51 PM
Na, this is the best post of the thread imo. I've heard from numerous sources (cowboys gut punch) that its almost as if time has not touched this part of the nation. Its completely backwards as far as race relations go and yes it is the deep south. For an area of our nation to still be this way, think this way, and act this way in 2009 (basically) is COMPLETELY EGREGIOUS on every level!!! And if my sources are correct then race would most definitely be part of the Cheesed!ck being named coach.

This is all assuming that my sources are indeed correct. :D

my sources say quit hiding bitch :)

TripleOption14
12/16/2008, 02:59 PM
my sources say quit hiding bitch :)

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :D

The Remnant
12/16/2008, 03:22 PM
Of course Barkley would never say anything racist.

badger
12/16/2008, 03:31 PM
As Sooner fans, we can confidently say that any school that would turn down Jeff Capel as a head coach is...

1- Filled with idiots.
2- Filled with racists.
3- Filled with Duke-haters.
4- Already has a good coach that isn't about to leave.
5- Wants someone with a resume bigger than Obama's.

I don't think Auburn hates Duke...hmm. I'll go with "Filled with idiots." Hehehe :D

However, I would have to say that their idiots are not as big of idiots as the ones in Indiana, whom we must show our eternal appreciation for. Yay, Indiana! Go, Hoosiers!

As for the football experience, they had a good coach in Tommy Tubberville. If they fired him for losing to a rival and having a single off year, then boo on them! But, that doesn't make them racists, that just makes them idiots.

There, I said it again - IDIOTS! In conclusion, Auburn is not racist, just really stupid :D

Disclaimer: If you are an Auburn Tiger, I am not calling you stupid. I am just calling your administators, boosters and other decision-makers dumb.

HiFiGator
12/16/2008, 03:54 PM
Today CHarles Barkley demanded that the only reason Auburn chose to hire Gene Chizik over Buffalo coach Turner Gill is because Gill is an african- american. King Charles continues to show that he is completely incompetent.

I think you need to check the quote again. I came in late in the interview and missed that part of his comments, but from what everyone said, it wasn't that Gill was black as much as it was that "some people" (Barkley never said that he was one such person ...) might have a problem with Gill because he is married to a white woman. In all fairness, Auburn is still a very backwoods kind of place and I wouldn't be surprised a bit if there is still quite a bit of "hick" in many of the people. That isn't a good thing certainly, but it's probably the sad truth nonetheless.

The part of the interview that I heard and really liked was when Charles said that "Urban Meyer's not going anywhere. Mark Richt isn't going anywhere. Nick Saban isn't leaving anytime soon. Les Miles isn't going anywhere. The point is that "we" should be able to get a guy who's more than just some guy who can coach." From the best I can tell, Auburn might not even be getting that much. Earlier this season Chizik was 5-9 in a little over a year. Since then, he has gone 0-10 and 0-8 in conference games. Boy, that sure doesn't sound like a step up from Tubberville.

soonervegas
12/16/2008, 04:50 PM
Put me in the incredibly dumb and short sighted camp. But whose loss is this really? Auburn's that's who. Four years down the road Gill will be coaching some ACC mid level team and have them in the Orange Bowl and Auburn will be taking their 5 straight to Bama.

Sherpa
12/16/2008, 05:00 PM
Barkley is right about this. He's also the best analyst in sports.

bri
12/16/2008, 05:58 PM
The only open racist I see in that story is Barkley.

If only his fat *ss could have won a ring, maybe he wouldn't be so bitter. Oh well, time to throw another dude through a plate glass window!

royalfan5
12/16/2008, 06:16 PM
The hiring of Chizik was stupid, but the hiring of Gill would not be much better. Take a look at Gill record vs BCS conference schools. Just not impressed with going 5-3 in the MAC. TCU's Patterson or Boise's Peterson would have been better choice.

It took him three years to win a Conference title at a school that had a total of 10 wins in 7 D-1A seasons. He also was an assistant coach on 3 National Title teams, and developed 1 Heisman winner, and another who quite likely should have won one. It's not like he just fell of the Turnip truck.

SoonerMom2
12/16/2008, 06:30 PM
According to what I understand Barkley talked with Turner Gill and Gill told Barkley he felt he was a token interview and that he felt Auburn had issues with his wife being white!

So don't bag on him too hard. Alot of what he has said came directly from Turner Gill

Was just watching this debate on ESPN and it was pretty much unanimous that race did play a factor and it was the good old boy alums who picked the new coach from Iowa State instead of Gill or other more qualified coaches. Seemed strange that the President of Auburn did not attend the press conference. Why would you pick a coach that hasn't had a winning record in his two years as head coach?

Auburn blew it on their basketball coach as well. Having driven through that part of AL more then once, I would tend to believe Barkley at least partially.

delhalew
12/16/2008, 06:43 PM
He's no Gnarls Barkley...thats for sure. If my choices are stupid or racist, I vote for stupid and racist.

redhawk49
12/16/2008, 07:03 PM
With all of that being said, Charles with his commentary and loose lips is only keeping this sort of thing going, by accusing Auburn of something that he has no solid evidence ever took place. Jason Whitlock, Stephen A. Smith, and idiots like Charles Barkley are giving the black youth a crutch to hold on to, so just in case they fail, they can always say "it is because I am black".
Good overall post but especially this.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 07:25 PM
With all of that being said, Charles with his commentary and loose lips is only keeping this sort of thing going, by accusing Auburn of something that he has no solid evidence ever took place. Jason Whitlock, Stephen A. Smith, and idiots like Charles Barkley are giving the black youth a crutch to hold on to, so just in case they fail, they can always say "it is because I am black". Turner Gill may have went into the interview without a solid vision on how he would bring auburn back into power in the sec, but Barkley's fat *** is too myopic to see that.

The African-American community certainly doesn't need me as an apologist, however...

It is a fact that "black youth" need leadership from individuals based solely on experience and wisdom gained from sharing the same color of their skin.
"White youth" do not need the same. ("white" leadership...they just need leadership)

Men and women that have the courage to say what they feel needs to be said, (even if it causes waves of uncomfortableness among those that don't ever fill those shoes), are good examples of exercising freedoms gained at a horrible cost. Don't always agree, but annoy-away, Stephen A.

This courage far outweighs the lack of courage shown by the Auburn administrators IF the accusation that Gill's wife's race had ANY part in the decision to hire a coach that has about as many wins as SicEm.

Ahamay17
12/16/2008, 08:06 PM

Who is charles barkley, and where did he play college foosball? :eek:

ashley
12/16/2008, 08:42 PM
It took him three years to win a Conference title at a school that had a total of 10 wins in 7 D-1A seasons. He also was an assistant coach on 3 National Title teams, and developed 1 Heisman winner, and another who quite likely should have won one. It's not like he just fell of the Turnip truck.

This is the best I have deen and was ready to say about the same thing myself. His record at ISU might mean he is a very good coach.

Tailgate
12/16/2008, 08:57 PM
I liked Chizik when he was at Texas as a D coordinator, but with his recent stint it seems pretty obvious he is not ready to build a program like Auburn at this time. Much less the one he just left.

Scott D
12/16/2008, 09:38 PM
I think you need to check the quote again. I came in late in the interview and missed that part of his comments, but from what everyone said, it wasn't that Gill was black as much as it was that "some people" (Barkley never said that he was one such person ...) might have a problem with Gill because he is married to a white woman. In all fairness, Auburn is still a very backwoods kind of place and I wouldn't be surprised a bit if there is still quite a bit of "hick" in many of the people. That isn't a good thing certainly, but it's probably the sad truth nonetheless.

The part of the interview that I heard and really liked was when Charles said that "Urban Meyer's not going anywhere. Mark Richt isn't going anywhere. Nick Saban isn't leaving anytime soon. Les Miles isn't going anywhere. The point is that "we" should be able to get a guy who's more than just some guy who can coach." From the best I can tell, Auburn might not even be getting that much. Earlier this season Chizik was 5-9 in a little over a year. Since then, he has gone 0-10 and 0-8 in conference games. Boy, that sure doesn't sound like a step up from Tubberville.

this is the soundbyte era. Everyone just wants the single quote which can be construed into any context without being the context in which it was spoken. You can't honestly expect people in the internet age when they can anonymously have angst filled anger to rationally read an entire quote much less comprehend an entire quote.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 09:48 PM
this is the soundbyte era. Everyone just wants the single quote which can be construed into any context without being the context in which it was spoken. You can't honestly expect people in the internet age when they can anonymously have angst filled anger to rationally read an entire post much less comprehend an entire thread.

Scott?

Did you say something?

:D

SCxxSOONER
12/16/2008, 10:53 PM
I respect Charles Barkley b/c he speaks his mind and at least most of the time knows what he is talking about. I can also understand him thinking that Turner Gill is a better choice for the job at Auburn his alma mater. However from the Auburn A.D. 's stand point, he was 5-3 in the mac and 8-5 overall not an outstanding record. Chizik won 5 gms in 2 yrs at ISU, didnt have any pieces and not much time to bring in his players in. What gets me is that when he is on the basketball committee he asks that they interview three african-american coaches (all who turned out better than their current coach, including one helluva coach named Capel). Why does it have to be three african-americans, if someone is a good coach theyre a good coach no matter the race. I just dont understand why he plays the race card, when Gill was prob not the best for the job. Auburn should have went after TCU's Patterson, Boise's Peterson, Leach obviously would seem to be better prospects IMHO.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2008, 11:01 PM
What gets me is that when he is on the basketball committee he asks that they interview three african-american coaches (all who turned out better than their current coach, including one helluva coach named Capel). Why does it have to be three african-americans, if someone is a good coach theyre a good coach no matter the race. I just dont understand why he plays the race card, when Gill was prob not the best for the job.

My Palmetto State friend,

You know very well, living in such a contradictory wonderful, yet somewhat repressive State, that CB likely feels that if he doesn't recommend these coaches, who would? Deep down, he probably feels that is his purpose on said committee.

Ask yourself this question, "If Coach Gill was white, would he be calling ReMax right now?"

Barkley seems to think so.

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 04:53 AM
This conversation for some reason reminds me of 1985 or 6 when I went to Farm Aid 2 in Manor Texas outside of Austin. This place was full of stereotype rednecks and trailer trassh of a level beyond all reason. The day was "rolling right along" in the words of Willie, with everyone from Heather Thomas to Catherine Bach rotating in on speeches between songs with Jim Hightower and several other middle of the road Texas politicians occasionally making truly great speeches supporting the family farmers.

I watched everyone from Vince Neil to Jon Bon Jovo to Neil Young and countless country stars both legendary and forgettable play songs alone or alongside one another all day.

In the middle of the day, Jesse Jackson came up with Willie and Hightower and began speaking. The rednecks were all yelling N-word this and n-word that while the trailer trash did similar things, including mooning and flashing their business. One guy even whipped it out, yelled some "coon" comment and started spinning around peeing on the people around him. It was pure stupidity, even for those of us who have a balanced opinion of jesse as an attention hog and whiner while also actually believing in his cause and always standing up for what's right despite his own shortcomings and exagerations.

He acted like JEsse and just kept on talking, doing his trademark building and repeating and getting a mantra going. The rednecks and white trash resisted...and resisted, but so did Jesse...

After his 10 minute speech, the crowd's endless screams of "n-word" were replaced with "Jesse! Jesse! Jesse!" and somehow...in that one moment over 20 years ago...racism was dead.

Then the next day cam and rednecks and trailer trash, Jesse and the ghetto, the world in general was once again racist and wrong. We've come a long way baby, to paraphrase femenist virginia slim ads from the 70s and 80s, but sadly there's still some stupidity out there where we as a people...a species...just can't hate someone for some stupid **** they did, we hate them for that and blame their cracker or ****** roots...

It's really pathetic and I like to think I'm past it. I hate the guy upstairs from me because he's a thieveing crack dealer. That's enough for me. His race isn't an issue.

He's white...his runners are black. They are criminals...all of them...not colors.

badger
12/17/2008, 10:14 AM
We're in a unique position to judge, because we've had lesser-experienced hires that have succeeded and failed.

John Blake? Fail fail fail (but did leave us some good players, even if he didn't leave his recruiting notes!)

Jeff Capel? Win win win

Bob Stoops? Hire of the century!

I wasn't around in '99 (although to be fair, I had a Heisman and a Rose Bowl to distract me then, lol), but I can imagine that when Joe C. pulled the name "Bob Stoops" out of thin air for the successor to Blake there had to be some concerned faces in the crowd. Why wasn't OU going with someone who had won a championship as a head coach? Why not at least go with someone with head coaching experience in college? Why were we getting another guy with Blake-like experience as an assistant, but not a head coach?! Why was OU making us suffer so much?!

Then, there was Jeff Capel (I think we had a thread on here that was all like "Jeff Capel?! Really?! Who?!?" at the time). He's another inexperienced guy that was young. Watching him that first season was funny - he would get technicals if he thought his team wasn't playing hard enough. Watching the next few seasons, though... wow! If Duke takes him away I'll hate them forever.