PDA

View Full Version : The pride of the SEC fanbase

tbl
12/15/2008, 05:09 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but now that we're facing one of the SEC giants in a bowl game, I'm hearing it like never before. I live in Georgia, which is basically owned by UGA fans as opposed to Tech (similar to OU and OSU in Oklahoma). These people hate Florida, they're rivals, yet most of these people are rooting for the Gators against OU, simply b/c of the SEC. On my way into the grocery store the other night I got a "go Gators" from a UGA fan. I was talking to a guy at Church last night and he said it's UGA first, SEC East second, then overall SEC third. What a strange mentality...

Why is it the Big 12 does not have this same mentality? The Big 10 does to a certain extent (presumably b/c they have an inferiority complex) as does the PAC10 (see Big 10). However, I don't EVER recall OU or Texas starting a chant of "Big 12 South!!" or "Go Big 12!!" before, during, or after a game, yet these SEC people do it religiously. I honestly don't get it. I know there are OU fans on here that root for Texas in Bowl games (which still baffles me), but overall the "pride" of OU fans comes from rooting for OUr team; period. Overall I do like the B12 to do well (except for Texas), but I don't ever talk about the conference much and it factors very little into my sports brain.

What stinks is living out here has forced me to be a B12 apologist, simply b/c EVERY person in the South that's a fan of an SEC team are also rabid SEC fans as well. I've even found myself defending Texas, which makes me hate the SEC mindset even more.

I was hoping to adopt UGA as a secondary team to pull for, but with the arrogance of the SEC fan in general, I don't see how I could pull for any SEC team... Maybe Bama. They're SEC freaks as well, but much more low keyed than the rest of them. Maybe b/c out of all the SEC teams, they easily have the most historically winning program, so that might make them a little more respectable toward other programs with similar tradition.

BillySims
12/15/2008, 05:14 PM
BOOMER!

tbl
12/15/2008, 05:19 PM
I said SOONER!

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 05:20 PM
Several reasons

1) College football is like a religion in SEC country. College basketball is nice. Pro Football is nice. Some people may like other sports.....but college football is THE thing. Its just cultural.

2) Auburn going unbeaten and defeating 4 ranked opponents....yet not getting a shot at the MNC game nor getting a share of the MNC in 04 (as U$C got in 03) sent a shockwave through the whole conference. Just the realization that such a thing could even happen....combined with the (correct) perception that ABC/ESPN would always favor U$C/ND/Meatchicken/Ohio State over an SEC team forged the bond even tighter between fanbases who often hate each other's guts otherwise. Then when the mediots tried to push Meatchicken over us despite the fact that their "quality" wins were over a Wisconsin team which beat zero ranked opponents and a ND team which beat zero ranked opponents and despite the fact that they had just lost their last game to OSU in 2006 really cemented the view that to ensure an SEC team would not again be screwed like Auburn was, the SEC needed to win big head to head matchups against other conferences.

Just imagine how you would feel if it were y'all who went undefeated and then got left out. Even if it happened to say, Texas or Nebraska....just the fact that such a thing could happen might tend to push y'all toward rooting for other teams from your conference.

I'm one who always roots for the SEC team in nonconference games-yes even the detested buttsniffing poodles of UGA.....who must otherwise be destroyed for the good of all mankind. :)

BillySims
12/15/2008, 05:21 PM
I said SOONER!
BOOMER!

Sooner04
12/15/2008, 05:28 PM
Just imagine how you would feel if it were y'all who went undefeated and then got left out.
I'm not trying to be an *** here, but it will never happen. We're Oklahoma, and when we take care of our business we'll always be there in the end. What happened to Auburn in 2004 will never happen to us because we're the Oklahoma Sooners. There is no bluer blood in college football than the stuff that runs through the veins of our program.

Other than getting hosed by Notre Dame eons ago, it just doesn't happen to us. We don't give a **** about the Big 12 Conference. We don't give a **** about what our 6th place team does in some crap bowl. We care about the University of Oklahoma, and ONLY the University of Oklahoma.

We dominated college football when we were in the Big 8, and we're doing it again now as members of the Big 12. We'd do the same if we weren't in a conference. We're Oklahoma and, when the chips are down, we'll always be on top.

MikeInNorman
12/15/2008, 05:29 PM
If undefeated Texas got shut out of the BCS Championship game I would laugh my a$$ off.

tooslow
12/15/2008, 05:30 PM
I live in Nashville, TN and I can feel your pain. Most people I work with are either Tennessee fans, or fans of another SEC school. They've been talking the last week how OU would be a mid-level team, at best, in the SEC. My reply has usually been that Tennessee could probably be a top tier team...... in the Big XII North. In the Big XII South, they would be slightly ahead of Baylor(Our Vanderbilt).

Most SEC fans are idiots when it comes to reasoning. In the past, they proudly spout off about how good their teams are because they have 5-6 teams ranked at the end of the season. This year? "The SEC is so damn good, the teams just beat up on each other every game and knock each other out of the rankings." WTF??? Didn't Bama go undefeated during the season? Florida is playing in the BCS Championship game, right? The fact is the SEC had 2 good teams this year. Georgia was proven to be a fraud. Who else is there?

I feel very good about OUs chances against Florida. I think we'll have a much better understanding of how each Conference matches up after their bowl games. The only thing that worries me is OUs preparation. I honestly believe we would've beaten Florida easily, had we played this past weekend. I think we all know our recent history when it comes to waiting several weeks to play a bowl game.

GG84
12/15/2008, 05:33 PM
2) Auburn going unbeaten and defeating 4 ranked opponents....yet not getting a shot at the MNC game nor getting a share of the MNC in 04 (as U$C got in 03) sent a shockwave through the whole conference. Just the realization that such a thing could even happen....combined with the (correct) perception that ABC/ESPN would always favor U$C/ND/Meatchicken/Ohio State over an SEC team forged the bond even tighter between fanbases who often hate each other's guts otherwise. Then when the mediots tried to push Meatchicken over us despite the fact that their "quality" wins were over a Wisconsin team which beat zero ranked opponents and a ND team which beat zero ranked opponents and despite the fact that they had just lost their last game to OSU in 2006 really cemented the view that to ensure an SEC team would not again be screwed like Auburn was, the SEC needed to win big head to head matchups against other conferences.

This pretty much sums it up.

The SEC has six programs (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee) that are consistent winners. Every other conference is dominated by the same one or two programs.

It's hard to win our conference. It's even harder to make it through our conference schedule and earn a trip to the national championship game. Every national championship our conference wins adds credibility. It ensures that another 2004 Auburn doesn't happen. That's why we root for each other. In years like this one, it allows our one loss champion to surpass all the other league's one loss champions.

NYC Poke
12/15/2008, 05:39 PM
On a conference basis, LSU making it to the title game last year with 2 losses should make up for any previous perceived snubs, shouldn't it?

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 05:39 PM
I'm not trying to be an *** here, but it will never happen. We're Oklahoma, and when we take care of our business we'll always be there in the end. What happened to Auburn in 2004 will never happen to us because we're the Oklahoma Sooners. There is no bluer blood in college football than the stuff that runs through the veins of our program.

Other than getting hosed by Notre Dame eons ago, it just doesn't happen to us. We don't give a **** about the Big 12 Conference. We don't give a **** about what our 6th place team does in some crap bowl. We care about the University of Oklahoma, and ONLY the University of Oklahoma.

We dominated college football when we were in the Big 8, and we're doing it again now as members of the Big 12. We'd do the same if we weren't in a conference. We're Oklahoma and, when the chips are down, we'll always be on top.

There is some truth to this in that it was easier to do to Auburn than it would be to any of the SEC's other 5 heavyweights (UF, UGA, Bama, Auburn, LSU). That said, the SEC is the only major conference that has its primary TV deal with CBS. All the others are ABC/ESPN so they have no interest in promoting a competitor's "product". That's part of it also. Plus most of the media is located in the Northeast and Midwest and it is no secret that those regions and the South have a historical grudge that goes way back.....so when the Bristol, Connecticut gang at ESPN pushes teams from the Midwest, it dredges all that up too.

gator.net
12/15/2008, 05:40 PM
Know this, I don't root for UGA :D

boomersooner28
12/15/2008, 05:43 PM
I think most of the Big 12 is rooting for us....except for Texass. I would also assume that FSU and Miami may be rooting for us as well...for recruiting purposes.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/15/2008, 05:47 PM
Post #'s 6,7 and 10! Yeah, baby!

NYC Poke
12/15/2008, 05:49 PM
BTW, everyone else is disillusioned/bored with the Big 10, too. You should save the "SEC" chant for games with them.

tooslow
12/15/2008, 05:50 PM

The SEC has six programs (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee) that are consistent winners. Every other conference is dominated by the same one or two programs.

It's hard to win our conference. It's even harder to make it through our conference schedule and earn a trip to the national championship game.

No arguments here, but I would say this year has not been business as usual in the SEC. Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, and LSU all performed well below their expectations. Auburns omission from the BCS Championship game served the SEC notice that their schools need to play a tougher out of conference schedule. Did Auburn do enough during the season to warrant being a top 2 BCS team? No, they did not. Do I think they should've been in the game after watching OU and USC play? Absolutely. Since there is no playoff, you have to build a strong resume. It's easy to look back after the bowl games are played and determine if one team should've been ahead of another. Bowl matchups are usually no different than rankings during the season. Just because you're ranked #1 this week, there's no guarantees for the following week.

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 05:56 PM
I think most of the Big 12 is rooting for us....except for Texass. I would also assume that FSU and Miami may be rooting for us as well...for recruiting purposes.

Quite correct about fsu and scUM....errr Miami. Both schools have a massive inferiority complex vis a vis UF which has always been the big dog in the state despite their success from the mid 80's up until about 02. Most of us may "hate" UGA but we do at least have a grudging respect for them. There is no such respect when it comes to our retarded little cross state brethren....a situation y'all can probably identify with when it comes to Oklahoma State. It wouldn't matter if they had a nice run against you for a few years or even if they gained national prominence temporarily....you would always be the big dog in Oklahoma. You would always be older, bigger, richer, better academically, have more fans, more media exposure, better facilities, etc. Same deal in Florida. In fact, both of them have completely prostituted their schools (putting up with thugs, ridiculously low academic standards, etc) for the sake of winning football games because they see it as the only way they can actually compete with UF. Therefore when dealing with the few fans they have left now that the bandwagons have emptied out, our standard response is to put on the smuggest smirk we can muster, set the condescension meter to full power and tell them they have a "nice" little team, in their little basketball conference and that they will get to play in a "nice" little bowl game-and they should be happy with this. Needless to say, this never fails to drive them insane. :) Again......I assume y'all do much the same with Oklahoma State.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/15/2008, 06:05 PM
Quite correct about fsu and scUM....errr Miami. Both schools have a massive inferiority complex vis a vis UF which has always been the big dog in the state despite their success from the mid 80's up until about 02. Most of us may "hate" UGA but we do at least have a grudging respect for them. There is no such respect when it comes to our retarded little cross state brethren....a situation y'all can probably identify with when it comes to Oklahoma State. It wouldn't matter if they had a nice run against you for a few years or even if they gained national prominence temporarily....you would always be the big dog in Oklahoma. You would always be older, bigger, richer, better academically, have more fans, more media exposure, better facilities, etc. Same deal in Florida. In fact, both of them have completely prostituted their schools (putting up with thugs, ridiculously low academic standards, etc) for the sake of winning football games because they see it as the only way they can actually compete with UF. Therefore when dealing with the few fans they have left now that the bandwagons have emptied out, our standard response is to put on the smuggest smirk we can muster, set the condescension meter to full power and tell them they have a "nice" little team, in their little basketball conference and that they will get to play in a "nice" little bowl game-and they should be happy with this. Needless to say, this never fails to drive them insane. :) Again......I assume y'all do much the same with Oklahoma State.See the thread about orange aggy. Some of our fans have a soft spot for them, but I don't really understand the concept of a second favorite team.

MojoRisen
12/15/2008, 06:31 PM
I remember Auburn getting crushed as well by SUC the year before. That could have played a factor.

As for conference chearleading, I would absolutely cheer for SAXET over a BIG 10 Ten..

That may just be me though- but I agree we like our conference to look strong... It helps in perception.

After this year though- I think my hatred for Texas is pretty deep and the mutual respect is curbed... I know it is going to be a war next year and the lines crossed are likely going to be too the point of absolute hatred at any cost..

PalmBeachSooner
12/15/2008, 06:32 PM
SEC fans want to do everything they can to perpetuate the myth that the SEC conference is God's gift to college football. If their particular team doesn't achieve glory then why not live vicariously through another team? It's kind of sad.

It's also a confederate state thing too. I lived in the south for many years and they still like to think of themselves as southerners first and Americans second, but not in an unpatriotic way, if that makes sense. Anytime the south one-ups any non-confederate state they get a huge woody.

MikeInNorman
12/15/2008, 06:38 PM

Something about this smelled like the usual SEC superiority complex so I looked it up. The problem was what time period to use? I would use historical records, but that wouldn't reflect as well on our Gator vistors, since apparently college football history began in 1991. So, I decided on the actual founding year of the Big 12 conference, 1996. Gators remember 1996. 1996 was good to the Gators and their Big 12 defensive coordinator, Bobby Stoops. Funny, when Steve Spurrier needed a competent DC, he didn't look to the almighty SEC for one. Anyway, these numbers are only wiki-accurate, so if they are a win or two off, don't shoot the messenger:

SEC "consistent winner" records since 1996:

Florida 127-38
Georgia 121-41
Tennessee 119-45
LSU 115-44
Auburn 106-55
Alabama 96-65

Big 12 "dominated by two teams" records since 1996:

Texas 126-37
Oklahoma 121-45
Nebraska 119-47
Kansas State 108-55
Texas Tech 102-59
Texas A&M 89-69

Note that the Big 12 does not include: Colorado, a multiple winner of its division and a former national champion; Missouri, another multiple division winner (both CU and MU have 85 wins); Kansas, the 12-1 Orange bowl champion in 2007; and Oklahoma Aggy, which, well, ok you have me there.

This also includes the worst 3-year stretch in the history of Oklahoma football, although it includes one of the best as well. Yes, ONE of the best. Won 47 straight games once....

starclassic tama
12/15/2008, 06:51 PM
i just think it's hilarious that the SEC beats up on an overmatched ohio state team for two straight years and all the sudden the SEC has superior athletes and plays a superior brand of football. just like bob said, hopefully we have a few guys with some athletic ability on our roster wink wink

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 06:56 PM
I'll go back to say, 1990 which gives Colorado a share of the MNC that year

Nebraska played for one in 93, another in 01 and won three in 94, 95 and 97 and was a strong contender in 96.

Texas won one in 05 and was a strong contender this year.

Oklahoma won one in 00 and played for two others in 03 and 04 and is in it again this year.

Nebraska and Colorado have since experienced down cycles but still....that's 4 programs. That's damned good. Vastly better than the PAC 1, Big 10 or acc.

In that time,
Bama won one in 92 and were strong contenders in 94 and this year (we gave them their only losses both years)

Tennessee won one in 98, played for another in 97 and were strong contenders in 01.

LSU won two in 03 and 07.

UF won two in 96 and 06 and played for one in 95 and is in it again this year.

Auburn went undefeated in 93 and again in 04 when they got hosed. (93 they were on probation)

UGA was a strong contender in 02 (we hung their only loss on them :) ) and again last year.

Its not just the number of titles, look how many different programs appear in the MNC game multiple times or are just one game away mulitple times. Any of those 6 programs is quite capable of winning an MNC in any given year and it would be no surprise. I'd be shocked if anybody but U$C won one from the PAC 1. In the Big 10, there are only 3 programs (PSU, OSU, Meatchicken) really capable of winning an MNC without some kind of incredible miracle that would shock everybody.

All 6 are in the top 20 in the nation in winning percentage since the founding of the SEC in 1932. http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1932&end=2007&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct Yes Oklahoma is #2 on that list over that time-congrats.

The Maestro
12/15/2008, 06:59 PM
Sooner04 = nailed it

If anyone ever hears me chanting, "Big 12!!!" feel free to take a 7 iron to my jewels.

Chanting "SEC!" on GameDay before the SEC Championship was embarrassing...for you.

catsigater
12/15/2008, 07:16 PM
It's an SEC thing, we don't expect you to understand.

PrideTrombone
12/15/2008, 07:26 PM

Sounds like Texas A&M reasoning to me. "We don't have to explain it because you wouldn't understand." We wouldn't understand because it's dumb, just as dumb as a dead collie scoreboard.

gatorsownu2
12/15/2008, 08:29 PM
It's an SEC thing, we don't expect you to understand.So true! Florida first, SEC second. Even though sometimes it's painful to root for rivals. SEC

Johnny Utah
12/15/2008, 08:33 PM
So let me try to understand this "sec fans" ... let's suppose you and I are in a fight club and I beat the crap out of you ... then I continue on to fight somebody else ... based on this logic, you'll continue to root for me in every fight 'cause it rationalizes my beat down of you?

JLEW1818
12/15/2008, 08:36 PM
So true! Florida first, SEC second. Even though sometimes it's painful to root for rivals. SEC

So would you root for Georgia over Oklahoma, in a title game?

catsigater
12/15/2008, 08:50 PM
So let me try to understand this "sec fans" ... let's suppose you and I are in a fight club and I beat the crap out of you ... then I continue on to fight somebody else ... based on this logic, you'll continue to root for me in every fight 'cause it rationalizes my beat down of you?

Let me put it in terms you can understand.

Say you're a local at Sunset - been surfing there since you could walk - and you're in a contest - say the Rip Curl Pro at Bells Beach.

Now, if you get knocked out in the semis, and a fellow Sunset Local is in the finals against an Ozzie, do you route for your brah, even if you and he have had a few dustups over the years, or do you pull for the Ozzie?

Jus sayin'.

So would you root for Georgia over Oklahoma, in a title game?

Yup, but would pull for OU over FSU and Miami every time.

IronSoonerMan
12/15/2008, 09:02 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but now that we're facing one of the SEC giants in a bowl game, I'm hearing it like never before. I live in Georgia, which is basically owned by UGA fans as opposed to Tech (similar to OU and OSU in Oklahoma). These people hate Florida, they're rivals, yet most of these people are rooting for the Gators against OU, simply b/c of the SEC. On my way into the grocery store the other night I got a "go Gators" from a UGA fan. I was talking to a guy at Church last night and he said it's UGA first, SEC East second, then overall SEC third. What a strange mentality...

Why is it the Big 12 does not have this same mentality? The Big 10 does to a certain extent (presumably b/c they have an inferiority complex) as does the PAC10 (see Big 10). However, I don't EVER recall OU or Texas starting a chant of "Big 12 South!!" or "Go Big 12!!" before, during, or after a game, yet these SEC people do it religiously. I honestly don't get it. I know there are OU fans on here that root for Texas in Bowl games (which still baffles me), but overall the "pride" of OU fans comes from rooting for OUr team; period. Overall I do like the B12 to do well (except for Texas), but I don't ever talk about the conference much and it factors very little into my sports brain.

What stinks is living out here has forced me to be a B12 apologist, simply b/c EVERY person in the South that's a fan of an SEC team are also rabid SEC fans as well. I've even found myself defending Texas, which makes me hate the SEC mindset even more.

I was hoping to adopt UGA as a secondary team to pull for, but with the arrogance of the SEC fan in general, I don't see how I could pull for any SEC team... Maybe Bama. They're SEC freaks as well, but much more low keyed than the rest of them. Maybe b/c out of all the SEC teams, they easily have the most historically winning program, so that might make them a little more respectable toward other programs with similar tradition.

You answered Your own question.

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 09:13 PM

That's not saying much. I'd pull for the Waffen SS over fsu and miami. :)

Perceptions about your conference's relative strength matter. You are very often going to have a situation like this year where there is one or zero major teams left undefeated so then it becomes a question of the national perception about how strong your conference is and what it took to win it. It is in your interest to see your conference brethren maintain a strong image.

StormySooner-IN
12/15/2008, 09:35 PM
I root for the Big 12 all the time.

I even have the mini-pennants.

Johnny Utah
12/15/2008, 09:38 PM
I root for the Big 12 all the time.

I even have the mini-pennants.

Nice ... how about the mini-helmets? ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
12/15/2008, 09:45 PM
That's not saying much. I'd pull for the Waffen SS over fsu and miami.

Hey, check it out. The gaytor made some sense.

THAT'S why I'll never pull for texass in ANY environment. They're texass. I don't care if they move their campus to Hall Park and erect a statue of Barry Switzer eating a steak as he craps on Darrell Royal's face. I. Don't. Care. They're texass. They stink up our conference with their burnt hair/orange pukestain of cowmeat. I'd pull for the Al Qaeda All-Stars with free agent halfback Pol Pot before I'd pull for texass.

I will vomit in my own mouth, let you hock a loogie in it, and take a shot to the balls as I swallow before I pull for texass. Before I pull for some homoerotic concept of conference loyalty.

We are the University of Oklahoma.

Everyone else should be glad to share grass with the Crimson and Cream.

Johnny Utah
12/15/2008, 09:49 PM

THAT'S why I'll never pull for texass in ANY environment. They're texass. I don't care if they move their campus to Hall Park and erect a statue of Barry Switzer eating a steak as he craps on Darrell Royal's face. I. Don't. Care. They're texass. They stink up our conference with their burnt hair/orange pukestain of cowmeat. I'd pull for the Al Qaeda All-Stars with free agent halfback Pol Pot before I'd pull for texass.

I will vomit in my own mouth, let you hock a loogie in it, and take a shot to the balls as I swallow before I pull for texass. Before I pull for some homoerotic concept of conference loyalty.

FSU and Miami are to Florida like OSU and ??? are to OU. That Gaytor is writing that he would root for Georgia which is equivalent to a Sooner rooting for Texas. :confused:

Blues1
12/15/2008, 09:55 PM
Here's my take on all this after being a Sooner Fan for 56 years...

My guess is ~~ Most of Us here will root for Okie State mainly because they are playing Oregon. who we have a Huge Beef with..We Will root for Nebraska just out of Respect for their Program - This year I hope Ohio State beats texass into the Ground so Bad they never recover... :) -- Also Kansas because M&M was once one of us ~~ Mizzou who cares ~~?? :) - Most of us will root for T Tech vs Mississippi (We still Remember our first bowl game with Coach Stoops) Whoever else is playing from our conference (I forget) Just like to see a good interesting game but we will pull for Big 12 most Likely...Also Most of Us Will go with TCU and Cinncy since they helped us in our ratings this year - And Penn State because (don't need a reason - we just hate everything about usc...And Tulsa / Arizona we will ride with..!
Won't hurt our Feelings If Boise State or WV go down --- Love to watch That triple Geo Tech option take down Lsu - And Hawaii Blast ND....Utah vs Bama everyone can speak for themselves -- I'm going with Utah -- :) ~~ I just Like their Offense...
Next ~~~ Your Turn ~~ :)
Rock On'

Tulsa_Fireman
12/15/2008, 10:11 PM
FSU and Miami are to Florida like OSU and ??? are to OU. That Gaytor is writing that he would root for Georgia which is equivalent to a Sooner rooting for Texas. :confused:

Maybe. But THIS makes sense.

That's not saying much. I'd pull for the Waffen SS over fsu and miami.

Now to edit for applicability.

That's not saying much. I'd pull for the Waffen SS over texass and Notre Dame.

See what I'm saying?

tulsaoilerfan
12/15/2008, 10:14 PM
Several reasons

1) College football is like a religion in SEC country. College basketball is nice. Pro Football is nice. Some people may like other sports.....but college football is THE thing. Its just cultural.

Just imagine how you would feel if it were y'all who went undefeated and then got left out. Even if it happened to say, Texas or Nebraska....just the fact that such a thing could happen might tend to push y'all toward rooting for other teams from your conference.

I'm one who always roots for the SEC team in nonconference games-yes even the detested buttsniffing poodles of UGA.....who must otherwise be destroyed for the good of all mankind. :)

For real? If what happened to Auburn happened to Texas, we would be laughing our asses off til the next season started :D

Sooner04
12/15/2008, 10:22 PM
I've never understood the "root for the conference" mentality. Last year, a lot of people were saying the Big 12 needed a national championship in basketball. Well eat my *** with a spoon. I couldn't handle it then, and I can't handle it now. When Kansas won the championship I vomited for hours.

I don't like anybody else in the Big 12. Screw them all. I'm an Oklahoma fan. I miss the old home and home mentality of the Big 8, but the members of the Big 12 can shove off for perpetuity. I will not root for them in their bowls, and I will not root for them in the NCAA Tournament. We'll be fine, with or without their attempts at success.

Rooting for the conference is broadcasting to mankind that your junk is not up to snuff and that you must live vicariously through the greatness of others. We here at Oklahoma cannot be bothered by such trivial bull****.

dog-knee
12/15/2008, 10:25 PM

I laughed so hard while reading this that I blew a snot bubble.

When saxet played against USC (the University of Spoiled Children) a few years back, it was like trying to pick between Iran and Syria.

That said, I'll try to find a way to hold my nose and cheer for the whorns against Ohio State, just because I can't stand the way they call themselves "THE ohio state university" , and because I'm sick and tired of SEC folks trying to claim a football superiority.

A Sooner in Texas
12/16/2008, 01:25 AM
I laughed so hard while reading this that I blew a snot bubble.

When saxet played against USC (the University of Spoiled Children) a few years back, it was like trying to pick between Iran and Syria.

That said, I'll try to find a way to hold my nose and cheer for the whorns against Ohio State, just because I can't stand the way they call themselves "THE ohio state university" , and because I'm sick and tired of SEC folks trying to claim a football superiority.

Did you know whorns call ut THE University of Texas? and THE is officially part of the name. Another huge ego with so little to back it up.
Not a tOSU fan, but I will NEVER cheer for the goddamn mother****ing whorns.

birddog
12/16/2008, 09:10 AM
Let me put it in terms you can understand.

Say you're a local at Sunset - been surfing there since you could walk - and you're in a contest - say the Rip Curl Pro at Bells Beach.

Now, if you get knocked out in the semis, and a fellow Sunset Local is in the finals against an Ozzie, do you route for your brah, even if you and he have had a few dustups over the years, or do you pull for the Ozzie?

Jus sayin'.

i prefer manzear, but whatever.

RedstickSooner
12/16/2008, 09:21 AM
I respectfully suggest that those of you painting the rest of the SEC with Georgia's paintbrush may be overstating things.

Georgia fans will root for the SEC for a very simple reason: A massive, well-deserved inferiority complex.

Nobody, aside, perhaps, from Neuter Lame, does less with more than Georgia does. Every single season, it seems, they've put together a team with a smattering of NFL talent, and plenty of top-notch college players that won't quite make the jump to sunday play. And they never, ever, EVER do anything useful with all that talent.

Georgia is the poster child for a team which, when you're asked about it, you go, "Oh, yeah, they've got a pretty good team. Aren't they, like, runners up for the SEC-East this year?" And, every so often, when it doesn't matter one bit, they'll manage to win the SEC and go to some meaningless BCS bowl. But for all their years of being really good, how many national titles do they have?

Two. One in 1980, and a *shared* title in 1942.

So, yeah, of *course* they root for the SEC. They sure don't get anywhere rooting for Georgia.

Plus, if the SEC is so mind-blowingly good, that explains how Georgia can continue to under-perform. It's not that they suck, y'see, it's simply that everyone else is so darned *good*. :rolleyes:

Beef
12/16/2008, 09:45 AM
I half-heartedly rooted for texas against usc because I was at a party with a texas chick fan that I was trying to get some poon off of. I failed and felt extra dirty. Never again. Lesson learned.

O-town Gator
12/16/2008, 09:58 AM
No arguments here, but I would say this year has not been business as usual in the SEC. Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, and LSU all performed well below their expectations. Auburns omission from the BCS Championship game served the SEC notice that their schools need to play a tougher out of conference schedule. Did Auburn do enough during the season to warrant being a top 2 BCS team? No, they did not. Do I think they should've been in the game after watching OU and USC play? Absolutely. Since there is no playoff, you have to build a strong resume. It's easy to look back after the bowl games are played and determine if one team should've been ahead of another. Bowl matchups are usually no different than rankings during the season. Just because you're ranked #1 this week, there's no guarantees for the following week.

Good point; although the SEC was strong at the beginning of this season only two teams wound up being ranked in the top-10 when all was said and done (Florida and Alabama). Georgia began to fade after the WLOCP; LSU simply ran out of gas. Though our conference has been strong the past few years it wasn't that strong this year.

As far as rooting for other teams in the confernece (even though it's hard for me to root for Georgia and Tennessee since I don't like them) I usually always root for the SEC - the only team I will NEVER root for is Florida State.

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 10:01 AM
The fact that you used the words "SEC" and "fanbase" together indicates that there is something wrong with those people.

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 10:24 AM

No, I understand. Before Florida and Alabama were to play for a shot at the national title the fans chanted on national television, "SEC!! SEC!!". I didn't see any OU fans at the Big 12 Title game chanting, "BIg 12!! Big 12!!". It was all about us and our team--not piggybacking on another team "just in case".

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 10:45 AM
stoops cut his teeth in what program and in what conference? :rolleyes:

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/16/2008, 10:47 AM
...It's hard to win our conference. It's even harder to make it through our conference schedule and earn a trip to the national championship game...

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/geico-caveman-lg.jpg

'...uhh...whut?...'

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 10:56 AM

Stoops cut his teeth at Kansas State, Einstein. Or is being the D.C. at Florida under Spurrier a "stepping stone" position?

And what does that have to do with the fact that OU fans don't cheer for their conference? Hell, when Stoops' defenses at K-State were crushing OU, I was proudly cheering for the Sooners to make sure they only sent 11 guys out on the field at a time! Ah, the salad days! I never ONCE cheered for Nebraska, Colorado or anyone else.

C&CDean
12/16/2008, 11:06 AM

Uh, Kansas State, Big-12?

C&CDean
12/16/2008, 11:11 AM
And on topic, I would cheer for Saddam, Usay and Qusay to come back to life and butt**** my wife and children to death before I'd cheer for UT. In anything. At any time.

I've mellowed over the years and can accept the fact that Texas fans are actually humanoid forms of some sort, and I can even hold a decent and respectful conversation with many of them these days. However, if you ever caught me cheering for them I'd respectfully ask you to euthanize me on the spot because I'd be beyond dementia.

Rhino
12/16/2008, 11:16 AM
Iowa, Big 10?

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/16/2008, 11:16 AM
And on topic, I would cheer for Saddam, Usay and Qusay to come back to life and butt**** my wife and children to death before I'd cheer for UT. In anything. At any time.

I've mellowed over the years and can accept the fact that Texas fans are actually humanoid forms of some sort, and I can even hold a decent and respectful conversation with many of them these days. However, if you ever caught me cheering for them I'd respectfully ask you to euthanize me on the spot because I'd be beyond dementia.

Yep. You've mellowed. Back in the day you would have let them butt**** you to death before you'd cheer for UT.

You big 'ol softie.

MikeInNorman
12/16/2008, 12:08 PM

As stated earlier, when Steve Spurrier needed a real defense, one that could, hopefully, prevent another Gator prison-rape at the hands of a Big 8 team, he quite naturally went to the Big 8 and hired it's most promising young defensive coach. Not the SEC.

tbl
12/16/2008, 12:17 PM
This thread speaks volumes and gives good insight. I appreciate the SEC posters that gave us an inside look at their state of dementia. ;)

Soonersince57
12/16/2008, 12:27 PM

LMAO :D

SelmaBamaFan
12/16/2008, 12:28 PM
I for one hate the SEC, and wish Bama would go independent. But hey, thats just me I guess.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2008, 12:39 PM
No, I understand. Before Florida and Alabama were to play for a shot at the national title the fans chanted on national television, "SEC!! SEC!!". I didn't see any OU fans at the Big 12 Title game chanting, "BIg 12!! Big 12!!". It was all about us and our team--not piggybacking on another team "just in case".

good post Maestro..That last statement pretty much sums up what it looks like when the SEC chant starts.

I would throat punch any OU fans that started chanting Big 12 before or during one of their games. Its like "If my favorite team can't get it done, then I've got 11 others to fall back on."

2 words....Weak Sauce

NawlensGator
12/16/2008, 12:55 PM
What? Horn fans won't be rooting for OU in the title game?

Now that is shocking.

fadada1
12/16/2008, 01:04 PM
i graduated from UF - and will never pull for georgia.

i also graduated from OU - and have never considered pulling for osu or texas. when they play each other, i'm pulling for the asteroid, comet, nuclear strike, locusts, frogs, 4 horsemen, plague, rabies, attacks by chupacabras, aliens......

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2008, 01:07 PM
i graduated from UF - and will never pull for georgia.

i also graduated from OU - and have never considered pulling for osu or texas. when they play each other, i'm pulling for the asteroid, comet, nuclear strike, locusts, frogs, 4 horsemen, plague, rabies, attacks by chupacabras, aliens......

sounds like me when Notre Dame and USC play

NYC Poke
12/16/2008, 01:19 PM
I always pull for the other Big XII teams any time they're playing someone out of conference. But I would never, ever, chant "Big XII! Big XII!"

I mean, look, SEC, I get your beef with the Big 10. It's frustrating for everyone to watch tOSU beat up on Youngstown State and then waltz through a middling conference only to land in a MNC game. That doesn't mean you need to do a conference chant.

Also, just because the SEC is good in some years doesn't mean it's good every year, so don't fall back on the "beating up on each other in conference play" argument. That happens in other conferences, too. I'd be willing to wager that my Cowboys would have done better than 9-3 had they played in the SEC (either division) as opposed to the Big XII South.

Landthief 1972
12/16/2008, 01:19 PM
I'm still pissedthat the Big 8 became the Big XII, so if I'm anything, it's OU first, Big 8 second, minus OSU (thanks to growing up in Kingfisher aka Stoolwater West). All the Texas teams can kiss my crimson and cream ***.

fadada1
12/16/2008, 01:27 PM
Also, just because the SEC is good in some years doesn't mean it's good every year, so don't fall back on the "beating up on each other in conference play" argument. That happens in other conferences, too. I'd be willing to wager that my Cowboys would have done better than 9-3 had they played in the SEC (either division) as opposed to the Big XII South.

most SEC schools don't have wrestling, so yes, you would've finished better than 9-3.

;)

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 01:29 PM
so stoops coaching at uf and in the sec had no impact on his becoming your coach?

fadada1
12/16/2008, 01:33 PM
so stoops coaching at uf and in the sec had no impact on his becoming your coach?

hey, even the best gotta start with flipping burgers somewhere.

;) :D

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 01:37 PM

Stoops did a great job at Florida. Remember your defense pre-Stoops? Tommie Frazier ring a bell? Yes...so what?

And thanks, Florida...OU had ZERO tradition and achievement before Stoops came to Norman!

Stay on topic, gayters. What does the fact Stoops did a great job as the Florida DC have to do with the fact folks outside the SEC find it odd when you waste time cheering for your conference as much as your own team.

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 01:43 PM
if i recall the years between 92 and 99 for ou didn't reflect well on your tradition and achievements.

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 01:49 PM
if i recall the years between 92 and 99 for ou didn't reflect well on your tradition and achievements.

You're right. Pulling for your conference IS a great thing to do.

Am I missing something here on the topic?

But since you brought it up, if I recall correctly the years 2,457 B.C. - 1995 A.D. didn't reflect well on your tradition and achievements.

OUDoc
12/16/2008, 01:59 PM
If Florida ever changes conferences, you'll still chant "SEC" at your games, right? You're big fans of the SEC after all.

A-M
12/16/2008, 01:59 PM

It's hard to win our conference. It's even harder to make it through our conference schedule and earn a trip to the national championship game. Every national championship our conference wins adds credibility. It ensures that another 2004 Auburn doesn't happen. That's why we root for each other. In years like this one, it allows our one loss champion to surpass all the other league's one loss champions.

I don't know what you think a winner is this year, but I sure would not put Auburn, Georgia, LSU or Tennessee in that bracket. Last I looked, they had just a tad more then one loss. In fact, a couple were so bad that they lost their coach. How in the world can you call them consistent winners after what they have done this year? Oh yes, if you haven't noticed, your one loss champions (Flordia & Bama) are ranked behind OU, the Big 12 one loss champion according to the BCS rankings.;)

GrowlinGator
12/16/2008, 02:16 PM
The "SEC" chant before the SEC Title Game is saying that you're about to win the SEC Championship. After we beat UGA and UT you'll hear the SEC chant too, it's us saying that we just won the East and rubbing it in. At the title game when you hear "SEC" at the end of the game it will be us rubbing it in that our conference consistently produces the best team in the country now. But no, I don't chant SEC when other teams play, although I do generally like to see all the SEC teams win every out of conference game they play.

catsigater
12/16/2008, 02:22 PM
The "SEC" chant before the SEC Title Game is saying that you're about to win the SEC Championship. After we beat UGA and UT you'll hear the SEC chant too, it's us saying that we just won the East and rubbing it in. At the title game when you hear "SEC" at the end of the game it will be us rubbing it in that our conference consistently produces the best team in the country now. But no, I don't chant SEC when other teams play, although I do generally like to see all the SEC teams win every out of conference game they play.

That's It! In a nutshell.

NYC Poke
12/16/2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah, and it still makes no sense. Say you just won a MNC -- shouldn't you be cheering for your school? Why cheer for your conference? The conference only won in the abstract sense (other than financial). Your school won in a very concrete fashion, on the field. I don't get it.

engigator
12/16/2008, 02:27 PM
Wouldn't say OU is better because the BCS says so "A-M". The game will determine that and not the polls.

We chant SEC because we have pride in our conference. You have no pride in your conference, so that is why it is hard to understand. We don't chant SEC after every score though. Let's not exaggerate. It's basically chanted by fans after securring a bid in the conference title game (that should not need an explanation), winning a conference championship (again no explanation needed), and after a big game with some BCS opponents. We don't chant SEC after we beat FSU. We don't chant it after we beat Miami. But when everyone in the media in 2006 told us that the BIG10 was better than the SEC, and then we handled OSU mightily...to most SEC fans it not only was about UF beating OSU. Iit was about showing that the SEC is tougher than the BIG10. Also the "SEC" chant at this game was well after we chanted many other Gator cheers. An after thought, or just another way of rubbing it in OSU's faces.

C&CDean
12/16/2008, 02:31 PM
Wouldn't say OU is better because the BCS says so "A-M". The game will determine that and not the polls.

We chant SEC because we have pride in our conference. You have no pride in your conference, so that is why it is hard to understand. We don't chant SEC after every score though. Let's not exaggerate. It's basically chanted by fans after securring a bid in the conference title game (that should not need an explanation), winning a conference championship (again no explanation needed), and after a big game with some BCS opponents. We don't chant SEC after we beat FSU. We don't chant it after we beat Miami. But when everyone in the media in 2006 told us that the BIG10 was better than the SEC, and then we handled OSU mightily...to most SEC fans it not only was about UF beating OSU. Iit was about showing that the SEC is tougher than the BIG10. Also the "SEC" chant at this game was well after we chanted many other Gator cheers. An after thought, or just another way of rubbing it in OSU's faces.
In all honesty, C-USA, the WAC, the PAC-10, the ACC, and Oklahoma 6A High School Football is better than the Big-10, so I wouldn't be too pumped up about it.

You guys do your "SEC." We'll do our "Boomer Sooner." See you in Miami.

GrowlinGator
12/16/2008, 02:36 PM
Assuming we win you'll hear plenty of Gators cheers first (most notably "Orange and Blue" and "It's Great to be a Florida Gator!"), probably a chant of "BCS", and then you probably will hear an "SEC" chant. Why? Because we've heard all year from you and Texas fans how all the good teams in the country play in the Big XII. It's vindication and we won't hesitate to remind everyone that the heart of college football still lies in that glorious region between Louisiana and South Carolina and parts due South.

fadada1
12/16/2008, 02:44 PM
sounds like someone woke up next to a crocodile this morning.

HungaryGator
12/16/2008, 02:47 PM
I mean, look, SEC, I get your beef with the Big 10. It's frustrating for everyone to watch tOSU beat up on Youngstown State and then waltz through a middling conference only to land in a MNC game. That doesn't mean you need to do a conference chant.

This year you would be absolutely right about the SEC. Only Florida and Bama were really good. Most years you would not be right though. The Big 12 is the only other conference that has multiple good programs which usually play each other. What makes it tough is the one good team after another after another after another aspect. Its very easy to drop a game to a team you are probably better than when you have to run a gauntlet like that-something U$C, OSU, Meatchicken and any acc or Big (L)East program cannot hope to understand.

As for the conference pride and chant.....I guess we just have a different perspective on it.

OUDoc
12/16/2008, 02:51 PM

1) Nothing to do with pride or no pride in the conference, just not a fan of a whole conference filled with our rivals.
2) So, you chant "SEC" to other members of the SEC to remind them that you won the division of the SEC and/or the SEC. Seems redundant. SEC.
3) No, it showed you were better than tOSU. No more of a statement than that. Everyone knows the Big 10's been overrated the past few years.

HungaryGator
12/16/2008, 02:53 PM
You're right. Pulling for your conference IS a great thing to do.

Am I missing something here on the topic?

But since you brought it up, if I recall correctly the years 2,457 B.C. - 1995 A.D. didn't reflect well on your tradition and achievements.

Then you don't recall correctly. UF won a lot up until 1930. Then the program went into a swoon in the 30's and 40's much like OU did in the 90's. UF started to climb out of the hole in the 50's and was pretty good in the 60's. The 70's were a little down from the 60's thanks to an incredibly poor coaching hire. Then the program bounced back in the 80's. The last 3-4 years of the 80's were a little down due to getting hammered by the NCAA but by 1990 we had recovered. Since then-over the last 19 years we've had the highest winning percentage in the nation. If some want to claim that because we sucked in the 30's and 40's we have no "tradishun" and that was the only time during which a program could possibly acquire it....so be it. I'll just laugh, ignore them, and point out that we've won more than anybody else over the last generation.

catsigater
12/16/2008, 02:57 PM
It showed you were better than tOSU. No more of a statement than that. Everyone knows the Big 10's been overrated the past few years.

They'll be saying the same thing about the Big 12 after UF's done stuffing OU.

CatfishSooner
12/16/2008, 03:04 PM
the sec can suck my balls...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2008, 03:11 PM
If I go to a football game and a "USA!" chant starts up, does that mean they are cheering for Conference USA?..Thats what Hacksaw Jim Duggan was talking about

tbl
12/16/2008, 03:36 PM
I'd be willing to wager that my Cowboys would have done better than 9-3 had they played in the SEC (either division) as opposed to the Big XII South.

Strangely enough, I agree with this. If not better, they would have at least been the same.

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 03:41 PM
Then you don't recall correctly. UF won a lot up until 1930.

Sorry. I slipped into a geriatic coma after reading that.

Florida football. Spurrier playing era. Good, not great.

Emmitt Smith era. Good ,not great.

Spurrier coaching era. Good...great...then thud.

Urban Meyer era. Starting off pretty damn great.

There...did my cliff notes work?

Sooner04
12/16/2008, 03:47 PM
Then you don't recall correctly. UF won a lot up until 1930. Then the program went into a swoon in the 30's and 40's much like OU did in the 90's. UF started to climb out of the hole in the 50's and was pretty good in the 60's. The 70's were a little down from the 60's thanks to an incredibly poor coaching hire. Then the program bounced back in the 80's. The last 3-4 years of the 80's were a little down due to getting hammered by the NCAA but by 1990 we had recovered. Since then-over the last 19 years we've had the highest winning percentage in the nation. If some want to claim that because we sucked in the 30's and 40's we have no "tradishun" and that was the only time during which a program could possibly acquire it....so be it. I'll just laugh, ignore them, and point out that we've won more than anybody else over the last generation.
Then let's compare. You swooned in the 30s and 40s. Meanwhile, we're building the monster. By the end of WWII, we've got a school the football team can be proud of. Undefeated in '49.

You're climbing out of the hole in the 50s, we're winning three national championships in '50, '55 and '56 to go along with 47 in a row. We go undefeated in '54 too.

You're pretty good in the 60s, but so are we. We have a down season or two, but we also go 11-1 in '67 and defeat a team from the mighty SEC in the Orange Bowl.

You're back to sucking again in the 70s, but here we are chomping up national titles like they're our birthright. Wait a minute, they are! Two more in '74 and '75, and we win or share the conference title every year of the decade after '71.

The NCAA hammers you in the '80s. Well, we've been hammered by the NCAA like Pam by Tommy Lee. Doesn't stop us from winning championships. Tack up another title in '85 to go along with conference titles in '80, and '84 through '87.

The '90s are good for you, but they're bad for us. Hey, we make back-to-back wretched hires, but we're Oklahoma, and we follow that up with YET ANOTHER national title in 2000.

We've been good for a long time, and we'll BE good for a long time. We're Oklahoma. We don't need the love of our conference brethren, and why should we? We've only been stomping mudholes through them since V-J Day.

TRUE HE15MAN
12/16/2008, 03:48 PM
I am a die hard gator fan & I hate all other SEC teams. I always root for the opposing team except when they are playing ohio state or USC, against those teams I carry the burning hatred of a thousand suns. although I will be pulling for ol'miss vs. tex. tech for selfish reasons. GO GATORS!!!

NYC Poke
12/16/2008, 03:51 PM
Strangely enough, I agree with this. If not better, they would have at least been the same.

Just goes to show that these things change from year to year. I'm not sure we would've gone 6-6 in the SEC last year.

I pull for the Big XII teams because that's who I grew up watching (well, Big 8, but the Texas schools add an interesting twist). I know that the Big XII produces good football, year in and year out. I also know that some years are better than others.

SEC folks, you may have gotten sick of Big XII people (I doubt it was Big XII people, more likely sportscasters) talk about the strength of the Big XII relative to the SEC this year. Nobody thinks the Big XII is strong this year simply because it is the Big XII, just that there happen to be a lot of good football teams in the confernce this year. Contrast that with what the entire nation hears from a lot of SEC fans -- the tautological argument that the SEC is better because they're the SEC. It grows stale.

Conferences go up and down. It wasn't that long ago when tOSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa were all contending in the same year. And the Big 10 will be back.

But if we're going to talk conferences, let's just bash the Big 10 and the PAC 10 for screwing everything up by clinging to their "tradition" of the Rose Bowl, and all pray that their stubbornness in this regard gives them many match-ups along the lines of Washington State/Indiana. Also, the Big XII and the SEC are a lot alike in that neither of us is afraid to play for a true championship on the field.

tbl
12/16/2008, 03:52 PM
Because we've heard all year from you and Texas fans how all the good teams in the country play in the Big XII. It's vindication and we won't hesitate to remind everyone that the heart of college football still lies in that glorious region between Louisiana and South Carolina and parts due South.

There are so many inaccuracies in this post, I don't know where to begin...:rolleyes:

Since when have you EVER heard all the good teams in the country play in the B12? That's a straight up crock. The B10 & PAC10 say stupid stuff like that all the time (with NOTHING to back it up in recent history) but the B12 schools never fall into this. As a Sooner, I openly acknowledge there are some very good schools in the SEC and that its a very good conference. Don't try to claim vindication b/c no B12 school has ever painted the SEC as weak or inferior to the B12. That's what YOU guys do, thus the point of this thread. Hello!??!!

The heart of college football lies in the South? Bama could possibly have have some claim on that, but there are many schools out there with great tradition, and more notably, CHAMPIONSHIP tradition. Say what you will about the B10, but the tOSU/UM rivalry is pretty hard to top as far as rivalries are concerned, and those programs historically have a lot of tradition, love it or hate it. OU/TX is right up there too. I'm not necessarily basing the whole argument on old rivalries, but its a decent place to start.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2008, 03:58 PM
"SEC! SEC!"

that **** is funny

tbl
12/16/2008, 04:03 PM
This is my point... The Big 12 has just as much claim as the SEC as a year in/year out solid conference. Up until VERY recently the Big 10 did as well (love em or hate em, its true), and as was pointed out the B10 will be back. The difference is NO OTHER TEAM IN ANY OTHER CONFERENCE STARTS CHANTS FOR THEIR CONFERENCE. That is very unique to the SEC, and its not just chants. Its an overall mentality that I deal with everyday from the local SEC crowd, and its not just UGA fans I hear it from.

I think the posts earlier about Auburn really kind of pointed it out, but it was something that was there before the Auburn snub. I also believe the whole Southern mentality plays largely into it (even though the same Southern sentiments are very prominent in Oklahoma and Texas).

MikeInNorman
12/16/2008, 04:11 PM
Then let's compare. You swooned in the 30s and 40s. Meanwhile, we're building the monster. By the end of WWII, we've got a school the football team can be proud of. Undefeated in '49.

You're climbing out of the hole in the 50s, we're winning three national championships in '50, '55 and '56 to go along with 47 in a row. We go undefeated in '54 too.

You're pretty good in the 60s, but so are we. We have a down season or two, but we also go 11-1 in '67 and defeat a team from the mighty SEC in the Orange Bowl.

You're back to sucking again in the 70s, but here we are chomping up national titles like they're our birthright. Wait a minute, they are! Two more in '74 and '75, and we win or share the conference title every year of the decade after '71.

The NCAA hammers you in the '80s. Well, we've been hammered by the NCAA like Pam by Tommy Lee. Doesn't stop us from winning championships. Tack up another title in '85 to go along with conference titles in '80, and '84 through '87.

The '90s are good for you, but they're bad for us. Hey, we make back-to-back wretched hires, but we're Oklahoma, and we follow that up with YET ANOTHER national title in 2000.

We've been good for a long time, and we'll BE good for a long time. We're Oklahoma. We don't need the love of our conference brethren, and why should we? We've only been stomping mudholes through them since V-J Day.

Don't write off the pre-1930 days either. OU had 8 undefeated seasons, (4 under Bennie Owen), won the conference championship in the very first year OU was in a conference (1915), and won a lot more than Florida.

Also don't forget 1938, when OU finished 10-1 and #4 in the AP poll, then in its third year. OU has been ranked in the final top 20 (now 25) 49 times, tied for second with Notre Dame, behind only Michigan.

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 04:15 PM

K-State and the Big 12. Know thy coach.

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 04:17 PM
you would probably have more conference pride if any of the teams in the b12 played defense.

TRUE HE15MAN
12/16/2008, 04:20 PM
There are so many inaccuracies in this post, I don't know where to begin...:rolleyes:

Since when have you EVER heard all the good teams in the country play in the B12? That's a straight up crock. The B10 & PAC10 say stupid stuff like that all the time (with NOTHING to back it up in recent history) but the B12 schools never fall into this. As a Sooner, I openly acknowledge there are some very good schools in the SEC and that its a very good conference. Don't try to claim vindication b/c no B12 school has ever painted the SEC as weak or inferior to the B12. That's what YOU guys do, thus the point of this thread. Hello!??!!

The heart of college football lies in the South? Bama could possibly have have some claim on that, but there are many schools out there with great tradition, and more notably, CHAMPIONSHIP tradition. Say what you will about the B10, but the tOSU/UM rivalry is pretty hard to top as far as rivalries are concerned, and those programs historically have a lot of tradition, love it or hate it. OU/TX is right up there too. I'm not necessarily basing the whole argument on old rivalries, but its a decent place to start.

hell I've been in forums where one OU fan after another stated as a fact that florida would have been lucky to finish 4th or 5th in the all mighty B12.

busynothings
12/16/2008, 04:21 PM
I live in Fayetteville, and I personally get so tired of hearing "SEC, SEC," all the time. Arkansas isn't even a good SEC team. They've never won an SEC Championship game, nor ever even been to a BCS bowl, yet I have to always hear how great they are because they're in the wonderful SEC. I pray - PRAY that this year shows how horrible overrated the SEC truly is.

BOOMER SOONER!

SoonerShark
12/16/2008, 04:23 PM
Several reasons

Kind of like until there was overtime a tie is like kissing your sister, but in the SEC it's okay because it takes place at the end of a wedding?

SoonerBoognish
12/16/2008, 04:25 PM
I'd like to start a "Division 1-A! Division 1-A" chant. I respect this division for being the toughest division to get through and to the title game. Also, it's convenient that when my team loses, why feel bad? I'll just point to the team with the most success or with the argument i need, and just plug it in.

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 04:35 PM
I'd like to start a "Division 1-A! Division 1-A" chant. I respect this division for being the toughest division to get through and to the title game. Also, it's convenient that when my team loses, why feel bad? I'll just point to the team with the most success or with the argument i need, and just plug it in.

"PLANET EARTH! PLANET EARTH!"

There...I'm covered.

NYC Poke
12/16/2008, 04:36 PM
People might not know what you're talking about, though it would probably sound better than "Football Bowl Subdivision! Football Bowl Subdivision!"

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2008, 04:41 PM
too many syllables losers

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2008, 04:42 PM
not maestro's

SoonerBoognish
12/16/2008, 04:55 PM
Ok, but I won't let a little thing like syllables keep me down. I'll just change it to "BCS! BCS!". Sure, if Utah wins it'll be a downer, but i'm a risk taker.

NYC Poke
12/16/2008, 04:56 PM
too many syllables losers

I suppose "SEC" is easier to spell . . .

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 05:02 PM
"MILKY WAY!!! MILKY WAY!!!"

Three syllables, people!

fadada1
12/16/2008, 05:03 PM
i'm still confused about this whole thread. why would anyone be so excited about the securities and exchange commission? those people are as exciting as a prostate exam.

engigator
12/16/2008, 05:04 PM
I live in Fayetteville, and I personally get so tired of hearing "SEC, SEC," all the time. Arkansas isn't even a good SEC team. They've never won an SEC Championship game, nor ever even been to a BCS bowl, yet I have to always hear how great they are because they're in the wonderful SEC. I pray - PRAY that this year shows how horrible overrated the SEC truly is.

BOOMER SOONER!

Arkansas does not belong in the SEC. Nice people up there. But that is a Big South school. They don't have the same atmosphere up there as you'll find at any other SEC school (except Vandy...poor Vandy). Never heard the Arkansas faithful chant SEC. Not at Bball, football, SEC championships, etc... Maybe it's because they suck, but I'm going to have call BS on you getting tired of Arky chanting SEC.

tbl
12/16/2008, 05:10 PM
Apparently the SEC isn't the only conference out there guilty of this *********gery.
azzDXXsNUgo

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 05:19 PM
you would probably have more conference pride if any of the teams in the b12 played defense.

Nah, we tend to measure success on a greater scale...such as national championships.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2008, 05:21 PM
I think all of the fanbases in the SEC should take turns chanting each school's name every week..

Like week 1, every game involving a SEC team should chant "Vanderbilt! Vanderbilt!" and then go up alphabetically each week.

Pretty much what they do now, except each team can feel a little more special

TUSooner
12/16/2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks to all that syrupy and incestuous SEC unity, brotherhood, and .....ulllllk!! <vomits> I now always root against the SEC.

But the SEC touts have a point. The belief in SEC superiority is now all pervasive among the "mediots" -- thanks for that one HungryGator ;) -- and that is surely the primary, if not the only, reason LSU got to play another home game for the BCSMNC against the ever-overrated Treenuts.

But face the facts: If OU does not win on 8 JAN, there's not a thing anybody can do to shut up the SEC humpers.

TRUE HE15MAN
12/16/2008, 06:14 PM
the only thing the Gators are gonna be chanting jan 8 is "WHIP THAT A**", "WHIP THAT A**"

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 06:17 PM
the only thing the Gators are gonna be chanting jan 8 is "WHIP THAT A**", "WHIP THAT A**"

It would be kinda cool to see Tebow's mom and pop yelling that...YouTube greatness!

TRUE HE15MAN
12/16/2008, 06:23 PM
It would be kinda cool to see Tebow's mom and pop yelling that...YouTube greatness!

I'm a huge gator fan & I realy like tebow as a college football player and the times I have had conversations with him he is a nice kid, realy down to earth & easy to talk to, but gosh his parents have to be the creepiest two people on the planet. lol.

TheGodfather889
12/16/2008, 06:44 PM
It's vindication and we won't hesitate to remind everyone that the heart of college football still lies in that glorious region between Louisiana and South Carolina and parts due South.
The heart of college football lies in the region where historically the teams suck? The SEC is a tough conference for sure but over the years when I've asked the same question as to why SEC fans are so crazy about their conference and they brag about how crazy their crowds are I came to one conclusion. The reason is because historically other than Alabama, SEC teams are horrible. It wasn't until the 1990's that other SEC teams got on the map and started winning Championships. Even with the fact that Florida has since won two National Titles, Tennessee has won one and LSU has won two, that still leaves those schools with only two National Titles, LSU being the exception with three. I am convinced that because other than Alabama the SEC historically is mediocre that the fans down there have to develop confidence about themselves by taking so much pride in how tough their conference supposedly is top to bottom and how good their fan support is and attendance records. That is all very aggy to me. I don't personally care about the Big XII. I would like to see it do well but it doesn't really matter to me how they do. I will be rooting for the Ohio State Buckeyes in the Fiesta Bowl even though I have no confidence in them to win because in my view, the University of Texas and the State of Texas can suck it, they're our arch rival.

TRUE HE15MAN
12/16/2008, 07:10 PM
because in my view, the University of Texas and the State of Texas can suck it, they're our arch rival.

10/11/08 35-45

TheGodfather889
12/16/2008, 07:14 PM
10/11/08 35-45
9/27/08 Ole Miss 31 Florida 30. You lost to a Horn too. Jevan Snead.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2008, 07:20 PM
9/27/08 Ole Miss 31 Florida 30. You lost to a Horn too. Jevan Snead.

A horn who left a big 12 school because he wasn't gonna see the field

HungaryGator
12/16/2008, 07:36 PM
Sorry. I slipped into a geriatic coma after reading that.

Florida football. Spurrier playing era. Good, not great.

Emmitt Smith era. Good ,not great.

Spurrier coaching era. Good...great...then thud.

Urban Meyer era. Starting off pretty damn great.

There...did my cliff notes work?

UF had some of its highest wining percentages in the first 3 decades of the last century. Perhaps caffeine would help with your geriatric comas. :)

HungaryGator
12/16/2008, 07:47 PM
The heart of college football lies in the region where historically the teams suck? The SEC is a tough conference for sure but over the years when I've asked the same question as to why SEC fans are so crazy about their conference and they brag about how crazy their crowds are I came to one conclusion. The reason is because historically other than Alabama, SEC teams are horrible. It wasn't until the 1990's that other SEC teams got on the map and started winning Championships. Even with the fact that Florida has since won two National Titles, Tennessee has won one and LSU has won two, that still leaves those schools with only two National Titles, LSU being the exception with three. I am convinced that because other than Alabama the SEC historically is mediocre that the fans down there have to develop confidence about themselves by taking so much pride in how tough their conference supposedly is top to bottom and how good their fan support is and attendance records. That is all very aggy to me. I don't personally care about the Big XII. I would like to see it do well but it doesn't really matter to me how they do. I will be rooting for the Ohio State Buckeyes in the Fiesta Bowl even though I have no confidence in them to win because in my view, the University of Texas and the State of Texas can suck it, they're our arch rival.

UF, Auburn, UGA, LSU, Tennessee and Bama have all finished in the nation's top 20 for winning percentage since the SEC was formed in 1932. Tennessee claims a couple MNC's from the 50's and had the last undefeated and unscored upon team in major college history in 1938. UGA won MNC's in 42 and 80. LSU and Auburn each won one in the 50's. Kinda tough to claim the programs in the conference have sucked when looking at the actual results.

thesnowbishop
12/16/2008, 08:29 PM
Though a Sooner fan, I enjoy watching the SEC play (even some of your slough-off Raycom games appear on KSBI--an OKC station; think public access with Jesus involved and Matlock and the A-Team in reserve.) Along with the CBS broadcasts and ESPN games, I think the committed fan in Oklahoma has probably seen several SEC games both great and small. How about you Gators? Have you seen many Big 12 games this season?

Also, since Bama claims between 22-53 Mythical National Championships, do any claims of MNC's for SEC teams overlap? Surely there's got to be some static arising from the past.

I do find it ironic that while SEC fans chant the league's prowess, the organizations are at each others' throats yearly (Fulmer staying out of Bama to avoid a subpoena, Spurrier zinging Kiffin about the recruiting test, et al.) Don't you guys have a little good, old fashioned hatred built up?

engigator
12/16/2008, 08:51 PM
The reason is because historically other than Alabama, SEC teams are horrible. It wasn't until the 1990's that other SEC teams got on the map and started winning Championships.

Dude, I think you've got some bad data. The SEC won a few more titles before 1990 other than Bama. But you go right ahead and keep living in the twentieth century if it makes you feel better. I really think that Bradford and company will benefit from the titles won pre 1990.

PDXsooner
12/16/2008, 08:54 PM

this has probably already been covered -- but the answer is:

kansas state

big 12

PDXsooner
12/16/2008, 09:12 PM
That's it -- I've come to the conclusion that Florida fans embody everything about an annoying fanbase:

1- Disrespectful of other programs
2- Uneducated about the history of the game
3- Blab about their conference with not enough focus on their own team
4- Have a WAY too inflated concept of the perception of their state (Gainesville's not on the beach, by the way)

I can't wait to smack these clowns around and claim #8. Someone needs to remind these schoolyard bullies who owns the Orange Bowl. It may be located in Florida but that's OUR HOUSE!

HungaryGator
12/16/2008, 09:28 PM
Though a Sooner fan, I enjoy watching the SEC play (even some of your slough-off Raycom games appear on KSBI--an OKC station; think public access with Jesus involved and Matlock and the A-Team in reserve.) Along with the CBS broadcasts and ESPN games, I think the committed fan in Oklahoma has probably seen several SEC games both great and small. How about you Gators? Have you seen many Big 12 games this season?

I've seen a good number of Big 12 games this year.

Also, since Bama claims between 22-53 Mythical National Championships, do any claims of MNC's for SEC teams overlap? Surely there's got to be some static arising from the past.

There is considerable "static". When teams start getting their butts kicked on a regular basis (see Tennessee and Georgia especially) they start waxing nostalgic about how supposedly great they were in the past (ie. the "tradishun" argument). They supplement the actual accomplishments of their teams with attempts to manufacture "tradishun" with a brazenness that would make Josef Goebbels blush. We just laugh and point out that we whipped their butts this year.

I do find it ironic that while SEC fans chant the league's prowess, the organizations are at each others' throats yearly (Fulmer staying out of Bama to avoid a subpoena, Spurrier zinging Kiffin about the recruiting test, et al.) Don't you guys have a little good, old fashioned hatred built up?

I would not say there's a little hatred. THERE'S A CRAPLOAD OF IT! :) As much as others note we are proud of our whole conference and give others-particularly the BIG 10 a ton of crap because we've been beating them consistently, its nothing compared to the amount of crap we sling at each other. Often though there's a good natured side to it and generally most of the top 6 programs' fans have a grudging respect for the others. We all have extremely little respect for the acc which has the delusion that it can actually compete with us. It can't. Its not even close. I'd say we also have little respect for the PAC 1 since no program in that conference can compete with U$C. The Big 10 is considered an overrated joke from a has-been decaying part of the country. Same goes for ND. The Big 12 is easily the other conference we have the most respect for since there are several good programs and its not a cakewalk to get through it.

PDXsooner
12/16/2008, 09:36 PM
I have to say, although they are scarce and hard to locate (similar to Gnomes -- we know they exist, we just can't ever seem to find them) -- Pac 10 fans are absolutely PAINFUL to listen to.

You know how SEC fans lean on the "SEC" argument? Pac 10 fans lean on the "USC" argument!!! They actually trumpet USC's accomplishments as if it justifies their painful, accomplishment-less existence!!!!

tbl
12/16/2008, 09:54 PM
As much as others note we are proud of our whole conference and give others-particularly the BIG 10 a ton of crap because we've been beating them consistently

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't your team (not the entire SEC, but the Florida Gators) lose to a Big 10 team in your bowl last year? Not just a bowl, but in your backyard? A bad Michigan team at that? hmmmm.....

PDXsooner
12/16/2008, 10:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't your team (not the entire SEC, but the Florida Gators) lose to a Big 10 team in your bowl last year? Not just a bowl, but in your backyard? A bad Michigan team at that? hmmmm.....

2004 Outback Bowl score: Iowa 37 Florida 17

thesnowbishop
12/16/2008, 10:11 PM
We all have extremely little respect for the acc which has the delusion that it can actually compete with us. It can't. Its not even close.

I'm not trying to zing you here, but,
So ah, how about 11/29/08?

Clemson 31 Cocks 14
GTech 45 Dawgs 42
Wake 23 Vandy 10

Yes, FLA 45 FSU 15, but ACC can't compete?

PDXsooner
12/16/2008, 10:12 PM
2003 Outback score: Michigan 38 Florida 30

2000 Citrus Bowl: Michigan State 37 Florida 34

Just sayin'...

nbhadja88
12/16/2008, 11:26 PM
Something about this smelled like the usual SEC superiority complex so I looked it up. The problem was what time period to use? I would use historical records, but that wouldn't reflect as well on our Gator vistors, since apparently college football history began in 1991. So, I decided on the actual founding year of the Big 12 conference, 1996. Gators remember 1996. 1996 was good to the Gators and their Big 12 defensive coordinator, Bobby Stoops. Funny, when Steve Spurrier needed a competent DC, he didn't look to the almighty SEC for one. Anyway, these numbers are only wiki-accurate, so if they are a win or two off, don't shoot the messenger:

SEC "consistent winner" records since 1996:

Florida 127-38
Georgia 121-41
Tennessee 119-45
LSU 115-44
Auburn 106-55
Alabama 96-65

Big 12 "dominated by two teams" records since 1996:

Texas 126-37
Oklahoma 121-45
Nebraska 119-47
Kansas State 108-55
Texas Tech 102-59
Texas A&M 89-69

Note that the Big 12 does not include: Colorado, a multiple winner of its division and a former national champion; Missouri, another multiple division winner (both CU and MU have 85 wins); Kansas, the 12-1 Orange bowl champion in 2007; and Oklahoma Aggy, which, well, ok you have me there.

This also includes the worst 3-year stretch in the history of Oklahoma football, although it includes one of the best as well. Yes, ONE of the best. Won 47 straight games once....

Conference champions is a more accurate measurement:

Big 12 champs

96- Texas
97- Nebraska
98- Texas A&M
99- Nebraska
00- OU
01- Colorado
02- OU
03- Kansas State
04- OU
05- Texas
06- OU
07- OU
08- OU

6 OU, 2 Nebraska, 2 Texas, 1 Colorado, 1 Texas A&M,1 Kansas State

SEC champs

96- Florida
97- Tennessee
98- Tennessee
99- Alabama
00- Florida
01-LSU
02-Georgia
03- LSU
04- Auburn
05- Georgia
06- Florida
07- LSU
08- Florida

4 Florida, 3 LSU, 2 Tennessee, 2 Georgia, 1 Auburn, 1 Alabama

Titles

SEC

96- Florida
98- Tennessee
03- LSU
06- Florida
07-LSU
(08- Possibly Florida)

Big 12

00- OU
05- Texas
(08- Possibly OU)

"since apparently college football history began in 1991."

It is not that it began in 1991, it is just that information from say the 70s is irrelevant if you are talking about the balance/parity/strength etc of a conference today. Even information from the 80s is not relevant for the purpose of the conference today.

Would it be accurate to take information from before UF was a power? It would not accurately match the current makeup/power chart of the SEC. The best way would be to take information from the previous decade or so.

Should we formulate the Big 12 rankings of 2008 based on the data from 1960-2008? Absolutely not. OU is clearly the top dog of the big 12 right now and information from the 60s would dilute the current OU dominance of the Big 12 from the past 8 years.

For historical rankings, yes look at the distant past, but for current rankings no way.

garland sooner
12/16/2008, 11:27 PM
Don't put facts out there. it only proves they live through other's accomplishments when they fail.

To me, it's Boomer Sooner! and **** you to everyone else.

nbhadja88
12/16/2008, 11:30 PM
2003 Outback score: Michigan 38 Florida 30

2000 Citrus Bowl: Michigan State 37 Florida 34

Just sayin'...

Yeah but 03 was UF Zooker version.

nbhadja88
12/16/2008, 11:32 PM
n/a

nbhadja88
12/16/2008, 11:33 PM

Yes we did. But it was a great season considering the fact that almost all starters were either Freshmen or Sophomore. Plus that Michigan team was senior laden.

Even this season we do not have any seniors in our 2 deep depth chart.

But with experienced teams in 05 and 06, UF and Meyer beat Big 10 teams in the bowl game.

TRUE HE15MAN
12/17/2008, 12:38 AM
That's it -- I've come to the conclusion that Florida fans embody everything about an annoying fanbase:

1- Disrespectful of other programs
2- Uneducated about the history of the game
3- Blab about their conference with not enough focus on their own team
4- Have a WAY too inflated concept of the perception of their state (Gainesville's not on the beach, by the way)

I can't wait to smack these clowns around and claim #8. Someone needs to remind these schoolyard bullies who owns the Orange Bowl. It may be located in Florida but that's OUR HOUSE!

you know I have come to realize that even though oklahoma has such great "tradishun" they're fans are just as arrogant and irritating as the fans they so love to call out.

you think hearing about the sec is annoying to you? how about listing to a bunch of fans talking about titles and games they weren't even alive to see or if you were, yer walkin with a cane now.
or you think its annoying all the over blown tebow talk. how about hearing how awful our fb that can throw is even though he won the heisman. gimmie a break every team has annoying fans & the teams that are on a stretch of winning usualy has a little extra. everybody just calm down & enjoy the game.

HungaryGator
12/17/2008, 02:06 AM

Florida has a winning record vs the Big 10. Shall we discuss your last 4 bowl games?

HungaryGator
12/17/2008, 02:12 AM
I'm not trying to zing you here, but,
So ah, how about 11/29/08?

Clemson 31 Cocks 14
GTech 45 Dawgs 42
Wake 23 Vandy 10

Yes, FLA 45 FSU 15, but ACC can't compete?

As I've said before, this was clearly a down year for the SEC. That said, LSU, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas and even Vanderbilt have winning records vs the acc. Prior to this year, the SEC has compiled better than a 68% winning percentage vs the acc (I haven't included this year's numbers yet). So no, the acc clearly does not measure up.

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 04:11 AM
Wow! 68% against the ACC! That's of epic, godlike proportions! The ACC could be a division in the NFL!

47straight
12/17/2008, 11:48 AM
you know I have come to realize that even though oklahoma has such great "tradishun" they're fans are just as arrogant and irritating as the fans they so love to call out.

you think hearing about the sec is annoying to you? how about listing to a bunch of fans talking about titles and games they weren't even alive to see or if you were, yer walkin with a cane now.

Really? There are an overwhelming number of sooner fans in your area and in the media who talk about titles and games they weren't alive to see?

Or do you mean when you come here to soonerfans.com?

I strongly suspect it is the latter. So if you don't like OU fans talking about OU tradition, then go the **** away. You won't hear about it anymore.

Hearing about the SEC is annoying to me without even travelling over to TebowNation.com or wherever it is that you usually troll because the garbage is all over the media.

47straight
12/17/2008, 11:50 AM
Florida has a winning record vs the Big 10. Shall we discuss your last 4 bowl games?

If you're going to talk trash, at least do it right. The appropriate taunt is

"Shall we discuss your last 4 BCS games?"

Because our Holiday Bowl win was pretty nice and a lot of fun to watch.

You had a good start here but you're slippin'.

TRUE HE15MAN
12/17/2008, 03:24 PM
Really? There are an overwhelming number of sooner fans in your area and in the media who talk about titles and games they weren't alive to see?

Or do you mean when you come here to soonerfans.com?

I strongly suspect it is the latter. So if you don't like OU fans talking about OU tradition, then go the **** away. You won't hear about it anymore.

Hearing about the SEC is annoying to me without even travelling over to TebowNation.com or wherever it is that you usually troll
because the garbage is all over the media.

actualy friend I'm speaking in general. in all teams, all sports, what you did in the past doesn't mean jack ****. its about what you do in your next game. just take a look at notre dame, a program with amazing tradition and history that can't even get out of its own way. its about jan 8 thats it.

tbl
12/17/2008, 03:40 PM
The past does matter. Programs with championship tradition will ALWAYS have an advantage on the upstarts, whether it be recruiting, coaching positions, money coming in, etc.

..and to your trash talk about our last 4 bowl games? The reason I even brought up Michigan was b/c of the supposed dominance you were touting of the SEC over the B10. I never talked smack about any conferences or bowl games in general, other than to point out your severely flawed logic.

tbl
12/17/2008, 03:44 PM
nm...

What the crap is going on with Soonerfans lately? Good grief...

Illgator
12/17/2008, 04:01 PM
On a conference basis, LSU making it to the title game last year with 2 losses should make up for any previous perceived snubs, shouldn't it?

this is pretty much the exact point i wanted to use. UF getting into the NC against Posu and then rolling them like Vandy helped the SEC in the media's eyes. If UF does not kill Posu then LSU probably doesn't get in to the NC game. UF winning helped LSU the following year. LSU killing Posu again helped UF this year. When your conference does well it helps to build the perception that the winner of that conference should play for the NC. I cant speak for every SEC fan but i cheer for the other SEC teams to win so it will help my team. The SEC is still getting a lot of love this year despite having a down year because of the past 2 years they were the toughest conference in football. This year...not so much.

To expand a little bit on this...the SEC is getting the rep for having very good defenses this year. Some believe this to be a bit overblown because of the SEC having some poor offenses this year. Well part of that is true. The SEC is down on offense this year mainly because of the vast majority of teams lost their starting QB's this year. Only UF, uga, and Bama returned starting QB's that were worth a crap...and they were the 3 best teams in the league. Coincidence? Probably not. Now the Big12 south is known for their unbelieveable offense this year. Some believe this to be overblown because of poor defense being played in the Big 12. Is this because they actually have bad defenses or because the Big 12 has some unbelieveable veteran QB's in Bradford, McCoy, Harrell, Daniels, Reesing? Last year the SEC was getting some of the same things said about their poor defenses but last year the SEC was loaded with good QB's (not as good as this years Big 12 but close) in Tebow, Stafford, Flynn/Perriloux, Ainge, Woodson.

TheGodfather889
12/17/2008, 10:48 PM

TheGodfather889
12/17/2008, 10:50 PM
Dude, I think you've got some bad data. The SEC won a few more titles before 1990 other than Bama. But you go right ahead and keep living in the twentieth century if it makes you feel better. I really think that Bradford and company will benefit from the titles won pre 1990.
My error, you're right quite a few SEC teams did win National Titles before 1990 but other than Alabama the number of the total of National Titles per team is horrible. Tennessee has the most with 4, which is the same number as Texas, which I don't find impressive at all. The second place team are those sewer rats from LSU with only 3, that's also not very good. Of course history doesn't help any of the players today and that wasn't my point. My point was that SEC fans are so passionate and prideful about their stupid conference because the teams historically other than Alabama are not superpowers of college football (and no I don't consider Texas to be a historically great football program either). The majority of them do not have the greatest history and therefore the fans of those programs make up for it by bragging about their attendance or about how loud their stadium is or how proud they are of their conference. That's just stupid. I don't care about the Big XII, I care about the University of Oklahoma, and winning, just winning and winning Championships.

JGATOR
12/18/2008, 07:48 AM
Haven't read the whole thread but a couple of things:

1-Don't underestimate the significance of the SEC being with CBS and most other major conferences being with ABC/ESPN. ABC/ESPN promotes there product relentlessly and belittles those that are not with them unless that team/player is undeniably exceptional.

2-A lot has been made about how you guys feel about the whorns and comparing it to the SEC feeling that Auburn got jobbed. This is not an apples to apples comparison. Auburn is a founding member of SEC. Most other SEC teams developed the rivalries as members of the same conference. The Sooners-whorns rivalry started when the Sooners were members of the Big 8 (which was really the Big 2 that was referenced earlier) and the whorns were members of the SWC. Reading this thread it appears that most only root for the Sooners but have a grudging respect for the teams that were in the Big 8 similar to what the SEC teams feel about each other. I think it has more to do with tradition as opposed to current conference makeup.

I would root for OU over UGa though because of Stoops' contribution to the Gator program.

tbl
12/18/2008, 08:56 AM
Good point on the Big 8/original SEC teams... but still... not the same.

The one thing I haven't heard anything mentioned is how another SEC team winning has an effect on YOUR teams recruiting. This is huge in the B12, and I'm sure its probably even more of an issue in the SEC. If UGA wins a National title, that will have a negative impact on UF recruiting the next year, correct? I can sort of understand pulling for an SEC team that doesn't border with you or have a bitter rivalry with (the way a lot of OU fans tend to pull for Nebraska in bowl games), but for UF to pull for UGA, Auburn to pull for Bama, etc... that's just insane.

Yet it happens all the time...

boomermagic
12/18/2008, 10:23 AM
I have decided I will root for all big 12 teams in the bowls this year.. Yes, even texass.. I HATE texass but I will hope they win this time.. Let me assure you I will still laugh and make fun of them if they lose..

MikeInNorman
12/18/2008, 10:45 AM
2-A lot has been made about how you guys feel about the whorns and comparing it to the SEC feeling that Auburn got jobbed. This is not an apples to apples comparison. Auburn is a founding member of SEC. Most other SEC teams developed the rivalries as members of the same conference. The Sooners-whorns rivalry started when the Sooners were members of the Big 8 (which was really the Big 2 that was referenced earlier) and the whorns were members of the SWC. Reading this thread it appears that most only root for the Sooners but have a grudging respect for the teams that were in the Big 8 similar to what the SEC teams feel about each other. I think it has more to do with tradition as opposed to current conference makeup.

The OU / Texas rivalry actually started in 1900, which is five years prior to the first season Florida played football. There was no Big 8 or SWC at that time, although OU was later in the SWC for a short time and won the conference in 1915. Florida's first year of football is 1905 (as I understand), which was a good year for OU as that was the first year that we beat Texas.

SoonerCPA
12/18/2008, 11:56 AM
I hope texass gets curbstomped by tosu, and on the plane flight home Mack mistakes the airplane exit hatch for the lavatory door at 30,000 feet (enjoy the ride).

I will never root for those cattle lovers. I personally think texass should secede from the union and we bomb them off the face of the planet (just need to forewarn my beloved Sooner Fans living down south that they need to move back to the Promised Land). I’m fine with living next door to a nuclear wasteland as long as whorns become extinct. Truthfully, it would be for the good of all mankind.

Just throwing in my 2 copper.

JGATOR
12/18/2008, 01:19 PM
The OU / Texas rivalry actually started in 1900, which is five years prior to the first season Florida played football. There was no Big 8 or SWC at that time, although OU was later in the SWC for a short time and won the conference in 1915. Florida's first year of football is 1905 (as I understand), which was a good year for OU as that was the first year that we beat Texas.

Still makes the point though. In 2006 UF celebrated it's 100th year of football, so 1905 was not UF's first year but close enough for government work and UGa fans.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/18/2008, 05:59 PM
btw, SEC losers. In 2004 Auburn did not get screwed. There were 3 undefeated teams. They played a crap non-conference schedule and the SEC wasn't that good. Fla had that coach what's his name. LSU lost to Iowa in their bowl game. UGA was their usual "can't win the big game" selves. Bama sucked and so did everybody else.

HungaryGator
12/21/2008, 02:40 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Florida Gators have a winning record against the Big 10?

Oh, and shall we discuss West Virginia now? Last time we played them we beat them 41-10. How'd you do?

delhalew
12/21/2008, 04:05 PM
Hmm. A team with a very short tradition of excellence making light of tradition...whod a thunk it. Yes I realize some of you know the difference.

I'm sorry, but its very difficult not to feel superior when your bad yrs(90s) are =many teams good yrs. We ran 3 coaches because a winning record is not good enough. You MUST beat Texas, Nebraska, OSU consistantly as well as everyone else. Total domination. It makes you a little cocky when you think back to last 50 yrs (and further) and realize their were no BAD times.

When you have a run like that in a state with a small population base and a strong in state rival, come tell me tradition does not matter.

HungaryGator
12/21/2008, 04:21 PM
Nobody's saying tradition doesn't matter at all and every Gator I've seen here has acknowledged that OU has a great history-no dispute there. I don't think it matters greatly though except to fans if its more than about 15 years back. Earlier great seasons/titles don't stick in the minds of the 18 year old studs you want to recruit to sustain your success today. All they know is what they've grown up seeing.

Notre Dame used to win a lot of ballgames. Bully for them if a bunch of middle-aged pot-bellied Yankees think they're the shizzle because they won ballgames in the 30's and 40's. That doesn't help them with their incredibly sucktastic 15 year streak of not winning a bowl game or their 2-3 year streak of not beating a single ranked opponent. We can all agree ND sucks can't we? :)

delhalew
12/21/2008, 04:29 PM
Maybe YOU have not said that, but at least one knucklehead has. Notre Dame has not been good for a long time. Please do not ever compare them to the Sooners.;)