PDA

View Full Version : To Florida fans/anyone else

Knippz
12/15/2008, 10:23 AM
For all you people who like to bring stuff up - you know, the stuff you like to use as arguments as to why you will beat us in the MNC.

"I seem to recall OU losing thier last 4 BCS bowl games. OU can't win a big game." Florida fan.

Well, for all of you short minded idiots, I seem to recall last year when y'all dropped an egg to the lowly Michigan team that lost to App. St. not even a year ago.

I remember all those years when you couldn't even make it to a bowl game.

As I seem to recall, OU has won 7 national titles over its tenure. How many has your school won? 2. That's right, 2.

And this goes to anyone else. OU > you. Period. Win a few more titles/Heismans/conference championships/whatever before you open your mouth.

What really get's me here, is how all of these people complain about the short minded voters, yet these are the same people that continually bring up the last few losses we've had in bowl games.

Last year, or any years before don't matter now. If they did, neither of us would be in the MNC. Both of our teams are better now, and recent history means nothing.

Regardless, I believe our team is going to shut you short minded idiots up by the time it's all said and done. Sorry for the stupidly long post.

A-M
12/15/2008, 10:32 AM
Nothing to be sorry for. You pretty much say it like it is. Thanks for posting it.

TopDawg
12/15/2008, 10:40 AM
We have a much richer football history than Florida.

But their recent history...say over the last 5 years or so...especially in the post-season, is better than ours.

How much either of those things will impact this year's game is unknown

Widescreen
12/15/2008, 10:42 AM
History means very little in the game on 1/8. Our team is substantially better than last year's version and I'm sure UF's is as well.

The Maestro
12/15/2008, 10:47 AM
I just hope Teabeaux just keeps talking without his filter. Saying he wants to face a Big 12 defense. Saying he got text messages late Saturday from his defensive teammates regarding Sam winning the Heisman. Keep giving our team bulletin board material and acting like you can just say whatever you want when you want since you are Tim Teabeaux and can do no wrong.

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 11:00 AM
For all you people who like to bring stuff up - you know, the stuff you like to use as arguments as to why you will beat us in the MNC.

"I seem to recall OU losing thier last 4 BCS bowl games. OU can't win a big game." Florida fan.

Well, for all of you short minded idiots, I seem to recall last year when y'all dropped an egg to the lowly Michigan team that lost to App. St. not even a year ago.

So do I. What does that have to do with this game?

Me too. In fact, my first year at UF we went 0-10-1. That sucked, and I'm pretty darned sure the 1979 OU team would have kicked the living cr*p out of the 1979 Gators. However, I don't think a bunch of 50 years olds are going to be suiting up for either team.

As I seem to recall, OU has won 7 national titles over its tenure. How many has your school won? 2. That's right, 2.

Yup. 2. One was 2 years ago, and a bunch of those guys are still playing for Florida. I suspect that experience will help the people actually on the field more than any experience in games decades ago.

And this goes to anyone else. OU > you. Period. Win a few more titles/Heismans/conference championships/whatever before you open your mouth.

No, sorry, it doesn't work that way. You see, each season is new. We get to "open our mouths" because we, just like you, are one of the last two teams standing.

What really get's me here, is how all of these people complain about the short minded voters, yet these are the same people that continually bring up the last few losses we've had in bowl games.

Last year, or any years before don't matter now. If they did, neither of us would be in the MNC. Both of our teams are better now, and recent history means nothing.

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!! (gasp) BWAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!! (gasp) BWAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!! (gasp) BWAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!! (gasp)

Okay, I can type now. Wait a minute. We aren't allowed to open our mouths because Oklahoma has 7 national championships, but years before don't matter now? You talk about "short minded idiots," but can't even remember what you wrote two paragraphs earlier?! Wow. How humiliating.

GG84
12/15/2008, 11:01 AM
Alabama's history didn't help them much in the SEC Championship Game. Neither did Ohio State's in the '06 National Championship Game.

The amount of NCs and Heismans OU has isn't going to help them on January 8th, just like the fact that OU has dropped its last four BCS games isn't going to help the Gators.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/15/2008, 11:09 AM

Me too. In fact, my first year at UF we went 0-10-1. That sucked, and I'm pretty darned sure the 1979 OU team would have kicked the living cr*p out of the 1979 Gators. However, I don't think a bunch of 50 years olds are going to be suiting up for either team.

Yup. 2. One was 2 years ago, and a bunch of those guys are still playing for Florida. I suspect that experience will help the people actually on the field more than any experience in games decades ago.

No, sorry, it doesn't work that way. You see, each season is new. We get to "open our mouths" because we, just like you, are one of the last two teams standing.

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!! (gasp) BWAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!! (gasp) BWAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!! (gasp) BWAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!! (gasp)

Okay, I can type now. Wait a minute. We aren't allowed to open our mouths because Oklahoma has 7 national championships, but years before don't matter now? You talk about "short minded idiots," but can't even remember what you wrote two paragraphs earlier?! Wow. How humiliating.

We have played in a couple of BCS games, let's say, this decade. As a matter of fact, 6 of them, and yes, we have even won some of those including a MNC and unlike you, at least we played in a BCS game the last two years. By the way, don't talk about bowl loses either since you lost to Michigan last year in a non-BCS bowl. I forgot though, you have God qb-ing for you, so you are right, you will wing by 50. Congrats! Go ahead and order your rings and t-shirts now.

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 11:19 AM
Calling you a d*uche would be an insult to d*uches. We have played in a couple of BCS games, let's say, this decade. As a matter of fact, 6 of them, and yes, we have even won some of those including a MNC and unlike you, at least we played in a BCS game the last two years. By the way, don't talk about bowl loses either since you lost to Michigan last year in a non-BCS bowl. I forgot though, you have God qb-ing for you, so you are right, you will wing by 50. Congrats! Go ahead and order your rings and t-shirts now.

Now you're just making a fool of yourself. We did happen to play in a BCS bowl in the last two years. It was against a team called "Ohio State." You might remember it. When the game was over we got a lovely piece of crystal.

Really, OU is far too fine an institution to count a logician of your caliber among its alumni. I can only assume you are just a fan, and that alumni everywhere are embarassed by your diatribes.

Knippz
12/15/2008, 11:20 AM

This is a straight response to your kind coming to OUr forums and posting that our last few bowl games will decide this game.

You are quick to bring up our recent history, yet don't want to acknowledge your history.

In a single game, neither recent, nor long term history means dick.

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 11:23 AM
This is a straight response to your kind coming to OUr forums and posting that our last few bowl games will decide this game.

You are quick to bring up our recent history, yet don't want to acknowledge your history.

In a single game, neither recent, nor long term history means dick.

Where did I bring up your recent history, or describe the Oklahoma team or coaching staff with anything other than respect?

Knippz
12/15/2008, 11:25 AM
Alabama's history didn't help them much in the SEC Championship Game. Neither did Ohio State's in the '06 National Championship Game.

The amount of NCs and Heismans OU has isn't going to help them on January 8th, just like the fact that OU has dropped its last four BCS games isn't going to help the Gators.

This is exactly the point of my thread.

I threw out that it's stupid to bring up recent memory, and threw in our accomplishments to point out how irrelevant it is, while still pointing out that Florida's accomplishments don't compare to ours. Sorry if it was a dick move, but I've grown tired of trolls posting on our board the last 4 bowl games we played. We know. Now please leave, troll. (Not you, but the ones that do)

Soonersince57
12/15/2008, 11:25 AM
Now you're just making a fool of yourself. We did happen to play in a BCS bowl in the last two years. It was against a team called "Ohio State." You might remember it. When the game was over we got a lovely piece of crystal.

Really, OU is far too fine an institution to count a logician of your caliber among its alumni. I can only assume you are just a fan, and that alumni everywhere are embarassed by your diatribes.

Here's some more history. Yesterday I didn't care what you think and today I still don't. That's 2 days in a row. I wonder what that means for tomorrow. .

Knippz
12/15/2008, 11:27 AM
Where did I bring up your recent history, or describe the Oklahoma team or coaching staff with anything other than respect?

Not a direct shot toward you. It's a shot to the Florida fans who post on our board doing it. And believe me, there have been quite a few.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/15/2008, 11:34 AM

Nope, I am an alum...but I presume that you are a fan by your lack of reading skills. I said the played the last two years in a bowl, not once in the last two years. Good jorb ;)

HappyClappyMackBrown
12/15/2008, 11:51 AM

As an Alumni of OU I must say that I am embarrassed by jackasses like him. The fact that he is an alumni too makes realize that my degree from Oklahoma isn't worth the paper it is printed on.....

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 11:58 AM
Not a direct shot toward you. It's a shot to the Florida fans who post on our board doing it. And believe me, there have been quite a few.

There are some on the Gator boards, too. Most experienced posters either ignore them or treat them as what they are- individual fools rather than representatives of the entire fan base.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/15/2008, 12:11 PM
Well, I appologize.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 12:25 PM
Hey, Gators can look at the past four BCS bowls and say Bob isn't doing something right. That's pretty fair. We Sooners have felt inclined to say the same thing in our frustration. They are fair in their assessment, based on the past BCS trips, that something is structurally wrong. While some attribute our losses to Stoops & co's gameplanning, bowl preparations, coaching, and what have you, we (me included) have our own "excuses" or reasoning to why the bowl games don't go as planned-- injuries, coaches leaving, motivation, kids failing, leather jackets-- who knows.

I tend to think Bob Stoops, who wins and wins rather often, doesn't eat too many bonbons over break and lackadaisically scheme for bowl games. I think the coaches could help with the motivation issues, which should definitely not be missing on 1/8/09. But overall, I think we have played some vastly underrated teams with something to prove. Yeah, on any given day we should beat Boise State based on our talent level vs. theirs. But when you play a good team who has an awesome day, and you aren't ready, you're going to get beat.

On the flipside, we Sooners can question Urban Meyer. He's coached some good games. And some bad ones. He isn't quite comparable to Bob Stoops (who took a team from shambles to a NC in two years) but definitely made a mark on the Gators from day one. Nonetheless, there is NO explanation for losing to Michigan last year. NONE whatsoever. I don't care if it was Lloyd Carr's last game and Michigan played their hearts out. This was not Boise State of 2006. West Virginia of 2007. Michigan was and still is absolutely abominable.

Obviously they are a different team as are we. But if the Gators want to believe they will tear us apart because TteamOWWDNS did, because Boise State did, or because West Virginia did, they better believe we're better than Michigan.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/15/2008, 12:26 PM
As an Alumni of OU I must say that I am embarrassed by jackasses like him. The fact that he is an alumni too makes realize that my degree from Oklahoma isn't worth the paper it is printed on.....

So, you are embarresed to be an Alumni because I called him and name and then you turn right around and call me a jackass in the same breath.

Also, you think your degree isn't worth the paper it is written on, huh? Pretty classy yourself, huh?

Pot, meet kettle.

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 12:30 PM
Hey, Gators can look at the past four BCS bowls and say Bob isn't doing something right. That's pretty fair. We Sooners have felt inclined to say the same thing in our frustration. They are fair in their assessment, based on the past BCS trips, that something is structurally wrong. While some attribute our losses to Stoops & co's gameplanning, bowl preparations, coaching, and what have you, we (me included) have our own "excuses" or reasoning to why the bowl games don't go as planned-- injuries, coaches leaving, motivation, kids failing, leather jackets-- who knows.

I tend to think Bob Stoops, who wins and wins rather often, doesn't eat too many bonbons over break and lackadaisically scheme for bowl games. I think the coaches could help with the motivation issues, which should definitely not be missing on 1/8/09. But overall, I think we have played some vastly underrated teams with something to prove. Yeah, on any given day we should beat Boise State based on our talent level vs. theirs. But when you play a good team who has an awesome day, and you aren't ready, you're going to get beat.

On the flipside, we Sooners can question Urban Meyer. He's coached some good games. And some bad ones. He isn't quite comparable to Bob Stoops (who took a team from shambles to a NC in two years) but definitely made a mark on the Gators from day one. Nonetheless, there is NO explanation for losing to Michigan last year. NONE whatsoever. I don't care if it was Lloyd Carr's last game and Michigan played their hearts out. This was not Boise State of 2006. West Virginia of 2007. Michigan was and still is absolutely abominable.

Obviously they are a different team as are we. But if the Gators want to believe they will tear us apart because TteamOWWDNS did, because Boise State did, or because West Virginia did, they better believe we're better than Michigan.

That's a rather odd post. I think it is fair to observe that big time teams, like Florida and Oklahoma, sometimes have a let-down in bowl games, particularly when they aren't playing for all the marbles, and when playing against somebody perceived as an inferior opponent. That said, it is pretty strange to note that, but then attempt to say you can't compare Michigan to Boise State. Boise-freakin'-State.

Nobody believes we will win because you lost to West Virginia. That was last year and a different team. On the flip side, anybody who believes you will win because we lost to Michigan is equally off base. We will win, or lose, based upon this year's team in this year's game. And it's the national championship game between two great teams, so there should not be any disappointment, under-estimation, or let-down. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 12:37 PM
I and pretty much every other Gator I know would freely acknowledge OU's history is more distinguished than ours. Florida was a very sparsely populated state up until the advent of air conditioning made it a much more attractive place to live. Once the population started growing significantly in the 50's and 60's, all the programs in the state started doing much better on the field-which is hardly a surprise. I'll just note that our last losing season was in 1979 (the second longest streak of non losing seasons in the country, we have the highest winning percentage in the nation since 1990, and 15 of the last 26 MNC games have featured a team from Florida....where UF is by far the oldest, biggest, richest and highest ranked school academically. So you'll have to understand if we feel rather optimistic about our present and our future.

Of course, none of this matters on Jan 8. I'm looking forward to a good game.

Knippz
12/15/2008, 12:45 PM
I and pretty much every other Gator I know would freely acknowledge OU's history is more distinguished than ours. Florida was a very sparsely populated state up until the advent of air conditioning made it a much more attractive place to live. Once the population started growing significantly in the 50's and 60's, all the programs in the state started doing much better on the field-which is hardly a surprise. I'll just note that our last losing season was in 1979 (the second longest streak of non losing seasons in the country, we have the highest winning percentage in the nation since 1990, and 15 of the last 26 MNC games have featured a team from Florida....where UF is by far the oldest, biggest, richest and highest ranked school academically. So you'll have to understand if we feel rather optimistic about our present and our future.

Good deal.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 12:47 PM
That's a rather odd post. I think it is fair to observe that big time teams, like Florida and Oklahoma, sometimes have a let-down in bowl games, particularly when they aren't playing for all the marbles, and when playing against somebody perceived as an inferior opponent. That said, it is pretty strange to note that, but then attempt to say you can't compare Michigan to Boise State. Boise-freakin'-State.

Nobody believes we will win because you lost to West Virginia. That was last year and a different team. On the flip side, anybody who believes you will win because we lost to Michigan is equally off base. We will win, or lose, based upon this year's team in this year's game. And it's the national championship game between two great teams, so there should not be any disappointment, under-estimation, or let-down. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

Boise-freakin'-State 2006 and Michigan 2007 are comparable? Boise-freakin'-State was undefeated. Thirteen and zero. Nothing. Nada. Including wins over notable names Oregon State. Utah. Hawaii. Fresno State. And of course, Oklahoma. Michigan 2007? They finished 9-4 including losses to Appalachian State, Oregon, Wisconsin and Ohio State. They got it together during the middle of the season. But they lost to Appy State!

I never said we will win because Michigan beat you. I am saying that it was a ridiculous loss for the "mighty SEC." And it should raise some questions about your coach in the minds of people who question our coach after our losses. That's only fair, right?

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 12:52 PM

LOL, and 4 of the last 9 MNCs have featured a team from Oklahoma, zero of which are Tulsa or Oklahoma State.

just joking with ya.

boomermagic
12/15/2008, 12:57 PM
I'm ready to kick some gator ***..

Gat0r
12/15/2008, 12:58 PM
One thing that I think has been lost in all this trash talk is that most Gator fans have a lot of respect for OU, and have been OU fans since Stoopsie went there. I have pulled for you guys in everyone of your games that has been televised. With the only exception being against the SEC team. Don't think for a second we weren't pulling for you to kick FSUs arse, cause most of us were.

I know we've got some fans coming over here and talking trash and believe me we've got some of your fans on our board doing the same thing. But just don't loose sight of the fact that most of us are Sooner fans, far more than we're not. I think this is going to be a fantastic football game and who knows what will happen because none of the B12 vs SEC crap matters. This is UF vs OU and we are our own conference champs, so what the rest of our conferences did is meaningless. Football is always about individual match ups, and nothing else. I just hope we pull this thing out, as I'm sure you do for your team. Just remember, either way, next year most of us will go back to pulling for the Sooners, at least until we meet again !!!

Knippz
12/15/2008, 12:58 PM
I'll just note that our last losing season was in 1979 (the second longest streak of non losing seasons in the country, we have the highest winning percentage in the nation since 1990, and 15 of the last 26 MNC games have featured a team from Florida....where UF is by far the oldest, biggest, richest and highest ranked school academically.

I'll just note:

7 National Championships
42 Conference Championships
40 Bowl Appearances
24 Bowl Championships
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
63 National Award Winners
144 All-Americans
436 First Team All-Conference Players
37 NFL First-Round Picks
330 NFL Draft picks
Record 47 game winning streak
31 10+ win seasons which is the most 10+ win seasons in the history of College Football

The Sooners have an all-time record of 792-294-53.

Winningest College Football Program since WWII with 556 wins

Winningest College Football Program since 2000 with 109 wins

97 weeks being ranked as the No. 1 team in America which the most weeks ranked No. 1 in the AP poll in the history of College Football

365 weeks ranked in the AP top 5 which is the most in the history of College Football

Most weeks ranked number one in the BCS Poll

80-16-7 against Oklahoma State, the most lopsided intrastate rivalry in D-IA football history

Since 1999, OU has the best home record in College Football going 60-2.

OU has an active streak of 80 consecutive games on television

OU is the only school in the history of College Football to have four coaches win 100 games at the same school. (Benny Owens, Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops)

OU is the first school in the history of College Football to score 30,000 points.

OU is the only school to score 60+ points in 5 consecutive games (Post WWII)

OU currently has a 24 game home winning streak, the longest in the country.

(Some stats may not be updated...)

Knippz
12/15/2008, 12:59 PM
One thing that I think has been lost in all this trash talk is that most Gator fans have a lot of respect for OU, and have been OU fans since Stoopsie went there. I have pulled for you guys in everyone of your games that has been televised. With the only exception being against the SEC team. Don't think for a second we weren't pulling for you to kick FSUs arse, cause most of us were.

I know we've got some fans coming over here and talking trash and believe me we've got some of your fans on our board doing the same thing. But just don't loose sight of the fact that most of us are Sooner fans, far more than we're not. I think this is going to be a fantastic football game and who knows what will happen because none of the B12 vs SEC crap matters. This is UF vs OU and we are our own conference champs, so what the rest of our conferences did is meaningless. Football is always about individual match ups, and nothing else. I just hope we pull this thing out, as I'm sure you do for your team. Just remember, either way, next year most of us will go back to pulling for the Sooners, at least until we meet again !!!

Well said.

JLMSOONER
12/15/2008, 01:09 PM

Good clean discussions make it fun. It is all good and I think most everyone makes good points. The one point I must disagree with is the quote from GG84 above. One of the Heisman's OU has won will help. It is the one that is connected to Mr. Bradford. He will be on the field and will definitely help the Sooners. Of course, Mr. Tebow won last year and will be on the field as well. So, touche'! It should be a great game!!!!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/15/2008, 01:09 PM

I will toast to that as well! Here, here!

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 01:15 PM
I'll just note:

7 National Championships
42 Conference Championships
40 Bowl Appearances................

Congrats on all that. I fully acknowledge that OU has been one of the winningest programs in college football history. What's far more important though is to be relevant today. If you look up who has the most MNC's awarded by one rating service or another, you will notice that Princeton is far and away the leader with 27. Yale comes next with 26. Neither is relevant today. For that matter neither is Notre Dame which hasn't won a bowl game since 1994 (had to insert a gratuitous shot at ND) :) ......so while winning ballgames in the leather helmet days is nice, all that matters is that you are relevant to top prospects in the country today........unless you're feeling inadequate and therefore try to claim that a bunch of middle aged pot-bellied Yankies thinking you're the shizzle is what really matters (again, see ND). :)

OU and UF have been two of the strongest programs in the nation over the last generation and we both have outstanding teams again this year. Should be a great game.

P.S. what one of my Gator brethren said about us liking Stoops a lot and therefore pulling for OU when it doesn't involve an SEC team is true.

Knippz
12/15/2008, 01:23 PM
Congrats on all that. I fully acknowledge that OU has been one of the winningest programs in college football history. What's far more important though is to be relevant today. If you look up who has the most MNC's awarded by one rating service or another, you will notice that Princeton is far and away the leader with 27. Yale comes next with 26. Neither is relevant today. For that matter neither is Notre Dame which hasn't won a bowl game since 1994 (had to insert a gratuitous shot at ND) :) ......so while winning ballgames in the leather helmet days is nice, all that matters is that you are relevant to top prospects in the country today........unless you're feeling inadequate and therefore try to claim that a bunch of middle aged pot-bellied Yankies thinking you're the shizzle is what really matters (again, see ND). :)

OU and UF have been two of the strongest programs in the nation over the last generation and we both have outstanding teams again this year. Should be a great game.

P.S. what one of my Gator brethren said about us liking Stoops a lot and therefore pulling for OU when it doesn't involve an SEC team is true.

Good luck and good game. :)

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 01:25 PM

ps, We never won a NC in the leather helmet days.

Try 1950.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/1950.jpg

Not leather, see! ;)

OUinFLA
12/15/2008, 02:01 PM
I love the smell of leather.

In the right environment.

OUDoc
12/15/2008, 02:19 PM
I love the smell of leather.

In the right environment.

You kinky old guys from Florida.....

http://www.moviecitynews.com/columnists/pratt/images/2003/something_about_mary_2.jpg

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 02:35 PM
Since I can't start new threads........

We're onto you. You sneaky Sooners are trying to distract us.

http://blog.collegebars.net/uploads/hottest-student-bodies/okahomafront.jpg

http://www.collegecolosseumcontent.com/m_pictures/thumbs/oksoftball.jpg

well.....I am heeeer to tel u that little tactic is not goingg to werk. I....uhh...I mean....ummm......we, yes we will be rreaddy 4 you for the game on March 8th! :)

P.S. does anybody have their phone numbers? I have an urgent.....survey I would like for them to complete. :)

A-M
12/15/2008, 02:51 PM
Since I can't start new threads........

We're onto you. You sneaky Sooners are trying to distract us.

http://blog.collegebars.net/uploads/hottest-student-bodies/okahomafront.jpg

http://www.collegecolosseumcontent.com/m_pictures/thumbs/oksoftball.jpg

well.....I am heeeer to tel u that little tactic is not goingg to werk. I....uhh...I mean....ummm......we, yes we will be rreaddy 4 you for the game on March 8th! :)

P.S. does anybody have their phone numbers? I have an urgent.....survey I would like for them to complete. :)

But of course, its 405-555-1234 and her name if Mary. Enjoy!

Knippz
12/15/2008, 02:55 PM
So um...let's get some more posts in this thread so I can read without getting in trouble at work.:O

starclassic tama
12/15/2008, 02:58 PM
i just think it's funny that florida went d-1 in 1996 and they think they have a football program when we have drills named after us

edit: we should be playing texas. if i'm a texas fan which i'm definitely not, i'm pissed not because OU is there instead of us, but because florida is there instead of us. ole miss went into the swamp, hit tebow in the mouth and came out with the W. texas went into lubbock and lost on a last second play to one of the best players in the country. BIG difference

cheezyq
12/15/2008, 03:04 PM
This is the problem I have with all "new blood" fans. I personally think that it's great that you Gayturds have decided to show up in the last couple of decades. I think it's cool that Stoops, your former coordinator, is now getting a chance to face his former team for all the marbles.

I don't even mind that most of your inebriated and ignorant fans enjoy talking trash. As always, you "new blood" fans talk trash like you've always been there, and in the same breath remark that OU is old and decrepit and all their championships were in your grandfather's days. You act like teams in the SEC have ALL the speed and that OU only wins because of luck or that we compete in a lesser conference, or pretty much any other excuse because you've only just now decided to compete on a national scale. You reference the latest BCS bowls that OU has lost, as if that means something this year. In a word, you are aggie.

Here's the real story: NO university has more staying power over a greater period of time than Oklahoma. OU has the richest tradition of any school, with only Notre Dame and USC even being comparable, yet OU is also still relevant in the new age. OU has been to 3 national championships since 2000, this one being the 4th. This will be your 2nd.

OU recruits just as well, if not better, than Florida. During OU's "down" years, we were STILL competing in BCS bowls. In comparison, Florida's "down" years send them to the Capitol One, Outback, or Peach bowls. Yeah, that's right, think about last year and the previous year, Florida fan - in 2006 OU lost their starting QB to stupidity and entered the season with a former WR at QB. OU also lost their premier RB (you remember Adrian Peterson, right?) halfway through the season, and yet only lost (in the BCS bowl, mind you) by 1 point to an undefeated team, who had to use 3 trick plays in the final minutes to pull off the victory. In 2007, OU took a FRESHMAN QB into the season and STILL made it to the BCS bowl, and competed for an opportunity in the BCS championship.

Where was Tebow, at the time a sophomore just like Bradford this year, leading his team last year? To a 9-4 record and a loss to Michigan in the Capitol One bowl.

So to Gayturd fans, I say, "Welcome! We've rented this spot to you in elite college football for the next 5-10 years. You've taken your place among the Miamis, the Florida States, and the BYUs of college football - a spot we leave open for an occasional contender who will likely disappear into mediocrity after a short stay. We tried to leave open this spot for Missouri and Kansas State, but they couldn't handle the pressure. So, please, enjoy your stay with the Big Boys while you're here. But when it's time to leave, please don't pout, and be sure the door doesn't smack you in the *** on your way out."

OUinFLA
12/15/2008, 03:33 PM
that ought to make them feel welcome

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 03:36 PM
How embarrassing for you all. Don't worry, we have them too.

Knippz
12/15/2008, 03:42 PM

What's embarassing?

Gatorcarson
12/15/2008, 03:48 PM
Bottom line is analyzing this game gets back to the Chicken egg debate: Is OU's offense that good because big 12 defenses are bad and vice versa. Arguments for and against:

Offense:

While Big 12, and particularly OU's offenses have put up really big numbers on offense, I have to admit one thing that makes me skeptical is that there are so many good QB's and offenses in the Big 12 this year. Almost too many to be a coincidence. Is it coincidence that the three biggest passers in the country all play in the big 12. Not to mention the guy from Kansas.

I watched the Big 12 championship game and Missou looked terrible. OU recievers were running virtually uncontested. Another reason that I question the Big 12 defenses if that one for mizzou was typical.

The one athletic defense OU played all season was Texas (when I say athletic I mean most of their players were big recruits) and they scored 31. I think UF is at least as good as UT's defense.

On the other hand, there is no question that the SEC is lacking in big time QB's this season. Only Tebow and Stafford are really big time, so UF has not faced a good passing team all year except UGA. In truth, until we took over in the second half, they had success going down field. We don't know how we will do against a good passing offense.

Truth is with so few common opponents between SEC and big 12 teams, it is impossible to compare schedules. Personally, I like to fall back on the Eyeball test. Just watching both teams this season I think both are very potent offense. UF may have a slight edge running but OU has an edge passing. UF's defense has been one of the best scoring defenses in the country (which is the biggest stat in all of colleg football. Don't believe me..go look at that stat for the last 10 national champions). I give only a slight edge to UF as I think there may be a tad more speed and athleticism.

I don't look for the score to be as high as some think. When good teams play against good defenses, that just doesnt happen. I can remember back in the Spurrier years when we put 50 on everyone, but when we played an athletic defense, that number came WAY down to the low 20's. It always surprised me how we could put up big numbers against so many teams, that a fast team could stop us that much better.

Should be a fun one to watch as I really don't think anyone can tell what is going to happen.

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 03:49 PM
CheezyG's adolescent comment, supra.

cheezyq
12/15/2008, 03:58 PM

See, this post makes zero sense. What, exactly, are fans here supposed to be embarrassed about?

On the other hand, why the he** would you go to an opposing team's fan message board and expect anything but trash talk? If I were a Gayter fan, I'd be embarrassed that you visited this site with the intent of trying to get us to see things your way.

Yet that is exactly what makes Florida fan so insignificant...and K-State fan...and Mizzou fan. Yeah, you're not the first...we see it all the time. You new bloods desperately want to be relevant, you desperately seek the favor of those who are superior to you, so you visit an opponent's message board for validation. Good job, Florida has finally made it to the big time. As I said, congratulations and welcome. We hope you enjoy your stay, and don't mind a little trash talk. But, just in case you haven't noticed, we've already been here a while. And as you can see also by our recent success, we plan on staying for a while. We'll most likely be around to see you leave, too.

Why do you think Stoops spurned the Florida job in favor of OU? It wasn't a fluke. Florida, while a great job next to some beaches and some hot and loose women, is not OU. Florida is not USC. Florida is not Notre Dame (fortunately for the sake of college football fans everywhere, Notre Dame sucks). Florida isn't even Alabama. You're very good, and you will be for a while. But someday you will fade, and OU will STILL be on top with the other elite programs in college football.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/15/2008, 04:01 PM

Seriously, how do you get off coming over here and telling all of us that we are adolescents when you are just as bad if not worse??

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 04:03 PM

Sad but it's true, huh? No offense. Few teams can sustain WINNING like Oklahoma can. And some of your gators waltz around like football was created in the 1980s.

And, as the King says, those people don't know what it is to be a champion. Hell, Oklahoma invented it.

OUinFLA
12/15/2008, 04:03 PM
Bottom line is analyzing this game gets back to the Chicken egg debate: Is OU's offense that good because big 12 defenses are bad and vice versa. Arguments for and against:

Offense:

While Big 12, and particularly OU's offenses have put up really big numbers on offense, I have to admit one thing that makes me skeptical is that there are so many good QB's and offenses in the Big 12 this year. Almost too many to be a coincidence. Is it coincidence that the three biggest passers in the country all play in the big 12. Not to mention the guy from Kansas.

I watched the Big 12 championship game and Missou looked terrible. OU recievers were running virtually uncontested. Another reason that I question the Big 12 defenses if that one for mizzou was typical.

The one athletic defense OU played all season was Texas (when I say athletic I mean most of their players were big recruits) and they scored 31. I think UF is at least as good as UT's defense.

On the other hand, there is no question that the SEC is lacking in big time QB's this season. Only Tebow and Stafford are really big time, so UF has not faced a good passing team all year except UGA. In truth, until we took over in the second half, they had success going down field. We don't know how we will do against a good passing offense.

Truth is with so few common opponents between SEC and big 12 teams, it is impossible to compare schedules. Personally, I like to fall back on the Eyeball test. Just watching both teams this season I think both are very potent offense. UF may have a slight edge running but OU has an edge passing. UF's defense has been one of the best scoring defenses in the country (which is the biggest stat in all of colleg football. Don't believe me..go look at that stat for the last 10 national champions). I give only a slight edge to UF as I think there may be a tad more speed and athleticism.

I don't look for the score to be as high as some think. When good teams play against good defenses, that just doesnt happen. I can remember back in the Spurrier years when we put 50 on everyone, but when we played an athletic defense, that number came WAY down to the low 20's. It always surprised me how we could put up big numbers against so many teams, that a fast team could stop us that much better.

Should be a fun one to watch as I really don't think anyone can tell what is going to happen.

I think that is a reasonable post

Knippz
12/15/2008, 04:08 PM

Troll.

cheezyq
12/15/2008, 04:10 PM

LOL, what's life like in your fairy tale world CCG? Before you condemn me as an adolescent, you may perhaps want to turn your attention to your brethren and their arrogant musings in this thread. Of course, you have an interesting blend of arrogance, as well, since you somehow cast yourself as a greater human being than I after reading a few threads on a message board.

Look, if you want to come over here and prove whatever it is you're trying to prove (which is difficult to determine from your chaotic ramblings), that's fine. But only a simpleton (or perhaps an adolescent) would expect hugs and kisses as an end result.

OUinFLA
12/15/2008, 04:11 PM
On the other hand, why the he** would you go to an opposing team's fan message board and expect anything but trash talk? .

oh.... oh..... oh...... I can answer that one !!

Because it makes the other team's fans have an anxiety attack.

I doubt it effects the team players one bit.

Seriously, when the Gator's (some of whom have been invited here to talk football ) actually visit the board, Im certain we are not going to convence any of them that our team is better than theirs. This isn't aTm we're chatting with here. Nor do I think when any Sooners go to their boards are we going to be convenced that their team is better than ours. (They aren't talking to Vandy).

We each know we have two of the best teams in the country right now, and come Jan 9th we will know which of the two is best. However, on the 9th, there is not much sense going to hornfans or wearesc boards as the discussion will still not be over on those boards. :)

Ive decided I will take the next 3 weeks and see how much ammusment I can reap out of the posts on both our fans boards. Let the Jackassery continue. :D

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 04:15 PM
LOL, what's life like in your fairy tale world CCG? Before you condemn me as an adolescent, you may perhaps want to turn your attention to your brethren and their arrogant musings in this thread. Of course, you have an interesting blend of arrogance, as well, since you somehow cast yourself as a greater human being than I after reading a few threads on a message board.

Look, if you want to come over here and prove whatever it is you're trying to prove (which is difficult to determine from your chaotic ramblings), that's fine. But only a simpleton (or perhaps an adolescent) would expect hugs and kisses as an end result.

Again, how embarrassing. In grown-up land it is possible to make your point without stooping to such adolescent name-calling as "Gayturds" and "Gayters." Yes, that is exactly what I would expect from an adolescent, and I criticize exactly the same sort of behavior from Gator fans on Gator boards. I admit, it is a step up from thinking "poopy" is the most hysterical word in the English language, but that comes from my three year old. Congratulations, you are slightly more mature than my three year old.

Soonersince57
12/15/2008, 04:21 PM
Again, how embarrassing. In grown-up land it is possible to make your point without stooping to such adolescent name-calling as "Gayturds" and "Gayters." Yes, that is exactly what I would expect from an adolescent, and I criticize exactly the same sort of behavior from Gator fans on Gator boards. I admit, it is a step up from thinking "poopy" is the most hysterical word in the English language, but that comes from my three year old. Congratulations, you are slightly more mature than my three year old.

And yet, like an ex-wife after an alimony check, you keep coming back for more.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/15/2008, 04:21 PM

Well, thank god the message board police arrived...I was getting worried.

Saint Tebow? Is that you??:pop:

cheezyq
12/15/2008, 04:23 PM

So, I'm an adolescent for SAYING it...what does that make you for CRYING about it? Did I hurt your poor feelings?

OUDoc
12/15/2008, 04:24 PM
He said "poopy".

(Glad I can have such a memorable 12,000th post. :rolleyes:)

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 04:26 PM

Gooners

Land thieves

dirt burglars

Chokelahoma

Jokelahoma

F'n hillbillies

It's all in fun, gayturd :)

We prefer f'n hillbillies though.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/15/2008, 04:29 PM
gayturd

NTTIAWWT

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 04:37 PM
It's all in fun, gayturd :)

I'll try to remember that. Are there hills in Oklahoma? Or are you all just second and third generation f'n hillbillies from the Appalachians?

NYC Poke
12/15/2008, 04:37 PM

This was not a surprise to anyone who follows the Big XII, or to anyone who isn't blinded by the brilliance of SEC to notice what was going on in the rest of the country. The Big XII didn't graduate a single leading QB last year. Among those that returned:

OU: You're aware of Bradford. He had a pretty good year as a RS Freshman last year. He didn't play well in road games, though, and matured a lot from last season to this one. Returned an absolutely stacked O-line, a future NFL TE, a corps of quality receivers, and a stable of great RBs. About as everyone expected.

UT: You're aware of McCoy. He had a pretty good season his Freshman year, filling the spot vacated by Vince Young. He was off last year, primarily because their O-line didn't protect him well. Had a better line this year and put up better numbers. About as everyone expected.

Mizzou: Returned a Heisman finalist, Chase Daniel, along with what may be the third-best receiver in the nation, Jeremy Maclin, and future NFL TE Chase Coffman. Their season hasn't been as good as some predicted, primarily to the raised level of competition this year in the Big XII. Had a disappointing season, but still put up impressive numbers.

Texas Tech: Returned Graham Harrell, along with what may be the best WR in the nation, Michael Crabtree, several other quality receivers, and a great O-line. About as everyone expected.

KU: Returned a QB that led them to an Orange Bowl victory last year, Todd Reesing. Disappointing finish for the team, but Reesing had a good year.

OSU: Returned Zac Robinson, a guy who, like Tim Tebow, threw from over 2,000 and rushed for over 1,000 (despite not beginning the season as a starter, along with a guy who might be the second-best receiver in the nation, Dez Bryant. ALso returned future NFL TE Brandon Pettigrew, a solid O-line, and a prolific running game with a stable of RBs led by Kendall Hunter. He rushed less this season, but was among the top in the nation in passing efficiency while leading his team from 6-6 last year to 9-3 this year.

Nebraska: Returned Joe Ganz, a guy who played well last year filling in for Sam Keller. He put up good numbers despite playing for a lousy Nebraska team in the last days of the Bill Callahan era. They're 8-4 this year and headed to the Gator Bowl. About as everyone expected.

Colorado: Returned starter and coach's son Cody Hawkins. Disappointing season, and we may have seen the last of that combination on the field.

A&M: Returned two-year starter Stephen McGree, who was expected to blossom as a senior under new coach Mike Sherman. Plagued by injuries, he ended up in a struggle for playing time with his backup. Disappointment.

KSU: Returned Josh Freeman, who is projected as a future NFLer. I'll admit to not following his season closely.

Baylor: Returned starter Blake Szymanski, who put up some good numbers last year despite playing for Baylor, along with Miami Transfer Kirby Freeman. They ended up being benched in favor of stud Freshman Robert Griffin, who enrolled in Baylor in the Spring and won the Big XII hurdles title. Keep an eye on this guy.

ISU: Are they still in the Big XII?

Big offensive numbers were expected this year in the Big XII, and that's exactly what happened.

GG84
12/15/2008, 04:40 PM
Why do you think Stoops spurned the Florida job in favor of OU? It wasn't a fluke. Florida, while a great job next to some beaches and some hot and loose women, is not OU. Florida is not USC. Florida is not Notre Dame (fortunately for the sake of college football fans everywhere, Notre Dame sucks). Florida isn't even Alabama. You're very good, and you will be for a while. But someday you will fade, and OU will STILL be on top with the other elite programs in college football.

Kind of a weird statement to make. Florida has the best high school football talent in the country. If you want to say Texas or California has better talent, fine, whatever... but there's no arguing that Florida is in the top 3. The University of Florida also has some of the best facilities in the country and enough money to ensure it always has a top flight coach. I don't really see how you can assume UF will be fading any time soon.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 04:45 PM
I'll try to remember that. Are there hills in Oklahoma? Or are you all just second and third generation f'n hillbillies from the Appalachians?

Yes, Tulsa is very hilly. Actually, Oklahoma is known for its "rolling" plains. Aka, hills.

Quick fact: did you know Oklahoma is home to five mountain ranges?

Wichita, Arbuckle, Ouachita, Boston and the Ozarks.

O-town Gator
12/15/2008, 04:47 PM
This Gator fan is here to talk sports, not a lot of trash. Fellow Gator fans, if you want to talk smack take it to a Florida board. We are guests over here, and the best thing to do is let it roll off your backs.

Indeed. There was no excuse for our performance in the Cap One last year, and the way I see things our kids played with no heart and shot themselves in the foot with stupid mistakes that cost us the game. I don't blame the coaches at all; they can only do so much to get our players ready to play and motivated, but our guys only have their hand held for so long, and then school's out. Trust me, that game has left a bad taste in the mouths of this year's Gators and they'll be out to redeem themselves for that loss.

As far as the game goes, the moment of truth will come on January 8 and I'll leave it at that - let it be played out on the field.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 04:48 PM
Kind of a weird statement to make. Florida has the best high school football talent in the country. If you want to say Texas or California has better talent, fine, whatever... but there's no arguing that Florida is in the top 3. The University of Florida also has some of the best facilities in the country and enough money to ensure it always has a top flight coach. I don't really see how you can assume UF will be fading any time soon.

if teams like USC, ND, Oklahoma, Neb, Alabama can have down years, or decades in our case, you will too--if not fade away completely.

O-town Gator
12/15/2008, 04:50 PM
if teams like USC, ND, Oklahoma, Neb, Alabama can have down years, or decades in our case, you will too--if not fade away completely.

UF did have three down seasons in 2002, 2003 and 2004 - thanks to Ron Zook.

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 04:54 PM
See, this post makes zero sense. What, exactly, are fans here supposed to be embarrassed about?

On the other hand, why the he** would you go to an opposing team's fan message board and expect anything but trash talk? If I were a Gayter fan, I'd be embarrassed that you visited this site with the intent of trying to get us to see things your way.

To discuss the sport we all love and the big upcoming game and perhaps engage in a little good natured humor? Just a thought.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 05:01 PM
This Gator fan is here to talk sports, not a lot of trash. Fellow Gator fans, if you want to talk smack take it to a Florida board. We are guests over here, and the best thing to do is let it roll off your backs.

Indeed. There was no excuse for our performance in the Cap One last year, and the way I see things our kids played with no heart and shot themselves in the foot with stupid mistakes that cost us the game. I don't blame the coaches at all; they can only do so much to get our players ready to play and motivated, but our guys only have their hand held for so long, and then school's out. Trust me, that game has left a bad taste in the mouths of this year's Gators and they'll be out to redeem themselves for that loss.

As far as the game goes, the moment of truth will come on January 8 and I'll leave it at that - let it be played out on the field.

Motivation and playing with your heart only goes so far--at least in this game, where both teams will be motivated. Obviously, Tim Tebow will have to carry this team on his back.

Real talk though, I think you guys can win if Tebow plays like Zac Robinson. Err--has similar numbers. Our ability to catch the running qb in that game was suspect to say the least. But I think Tebow is more of a hybrid Chase Daniel and Colt McCoy. More athleticism than Daniel, less accuracy than McCoy with the running style of both mixed.

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by meoveryouxinfinity

I'm sorry but the term "Hillbillies" is already copyright by fans of Tennessee.

Similarly, LSU fans are "Coonasses" or Corndogs http://fromthebleachersblog.blogspot.com/2006/09/lsu-fans-smell-like-corn-dogs.html

Georgia fans are "buttsniffers" (its the mascot) or the generic "inbred, retarded, toothless, tobacco chewing, trailer trash" works just as well. Be sure to make fun of their red polyester pants and ask them why they have a Yankee song as their school's fight song.....suggest its because they are Sherman's Beyotch-they just love it when you do that.

The appropriate way to get at Gators is to make fun of our Jorts, mullets and gold chains. Got it? :)

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 05:15 PM

Similarly, LSU fans are "Coonasses" or Corndogs http://fromthebleachersblog.blogspot.com/2006/09/lsu-fans-smell-like-corn-dogs.html

Georgia fans are "buttsniffers" (its the mascot) or the generic "inbred, retarded, toothless, tobacco chewing, trailer trash" works just as well. Be sure to make fun of their red polyester pants and ask them why they have a Yankee song as their school's fight song.....suggest its because they are Sherman's Beyotch-they just love it when you do that.

The appropriate way to get at Gators is to make fun of our Jorts, mullets and gold chains. Got it? :)

And don't forget FSU- "Clowns," for the circus school.

SteelCitySooner
12/15/2008, 05:16 PM
No no. Not "hillbillies". get it right. it's "f'n Hillbillies"; as per Coach Callihan circa 2005(?) Nebaskra beatdown in Norman following him getting pelted by oranges and deafened by the blasts of the rufnek guns. :D

GG84
12/15/2008, 05:22 PM

No doubt we will have down years. Like you mentioned, all teams do. I just can't ever see us fading away completely. We might not have 50 years of tradition, but we do have local talent, facilities, money, and TV exposure. I just can't see Florida football ever "fading away completely."

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 05:28 PM

this thread is invalid without pics.

http://bigeastsux.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/gatorfans.jpg

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 05:32 PM
No doubt we will have down years. Like you mentioned, all teams do. I just can't ever see us fading away completely. We might not have 50 years of tradition, but we do have local talent, facilities, money, and TV exposure. I just can't see Florida football ever "fading away completely."

one NC= fluke.
two NCs= two flukes, unless the team has been consistently in NC games/contention, and has a decade of 8, 9, or 10 win seasons.

You're somewhere in between a fluke and a short lived dynasty

:pop:

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 05:42 PM
one NC= fluke.
two NCs= two flukes, unless the team has been consistently in NC games/contention, and has a decade of 8, 9, or 10 win seasons.

The history of Florida football is really the history of the SEC, and the only name you need to know is "Bear Bryant." That man basically ran the SEC for years. One result of that was that Florida, Auburn, and Georgia played each other on consecutive weeks every year, setting up a round-robin survivor tournament while 'Bama watched and laughed. It was rare, indeed, for anybody to come out of that without a loss. We played Auburn. We played Georgia the next week, then Auburn played Georgia. Auburns next game? 'Bama. A well-rested 'Bama. That, and before scholarship limits Bryant told every kid south of the Mason-Dixon line that he was the next Joe Namath.

That started to change for Florida when scholarship limits were created, and when Charlie Pell came to Florida. Our best team before Spurrier was, without a doubt, the '84 team. It featured one of the best offensive lines in college football history, and had not one, not two, but three first-round draft pick running backs. After that, the NCAA comes into the story. Florida was ascendent, then got hit with probation. Those great FSU and Miami teams got so good when Florida had scholarship limits. Then Miami got into some trouble and Steve Spurrier came home. FSU continued to ride on the success they built from the ashes of Charlie Pell's violations for another decade, but eventually that faded. Will there be some continued movement from Florida, to FSU, to Miami, and back to Florida? Maybe, but perhaps not. Florida's program, its facilities, its stadium, and its television exposure is far better than either of those (at one time, I haven't checked this year, Florida was the second-most televised team in the country, after Notre Dame).

Florida will continue to rise, and fall, against other SEC opponents. This year the SEC was down enough that Florida could rise to the top. It will always be difficult to go undefeated, or even have only one loss, in the SEC, and as always the PAC-10 and the Big Can't Count Past Ten will continue to prance into championship games with mediocre schedules and over-rated teams. Unfortunately, that really only shows when they have to play a Big 12 or SEC opponent in a championship game. When the PAC 10 and the Big Can't Count Past Ten play each other, the truth rarely shows.

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 05:45 PM

I think I've been seeing that picture in the run up to every big game for 10 years now.

Speaking of obligatory ...

http://home.austin.rr.com/thezodiac/fark/Sooner_fan.jpg

I've got to say, the boots really make the outfit.

HiFiGator
12/15/2008, 05:48 PM
I don't have nearly the time to respond to each and every comment from some 4 plus page thread, as much as many do in fact deserve "attention."

So I will reply to a couple of general talking points that many have made during the discusion.

1. OU has better "tradition" than Florida: there is no doubt that Oklahoma has been among the Nation's elite over a longer period of time and more different times. Point noted. But I don't see any Gators knocking your tradition. What I have seen is the standard reasoning about why tradition doesn't matter in this game. I have a slightly different opinion, but more on that in a bit. OU has a tradition to be prooud of for sure. Congratulations. That being said, some (not all, but some) SOoners seem to think that until Florida achieves the successes that OU has had over the years, that it is someohow a step-child. That doesn't fly either. If you want to go back over an 18 year period, I think you will see that Florida's "tradition" is right there with just about anyone's. Most of these kids were roughly 18 when they set foot on campus. The bottom line is Congratulations for your storied past, but don't think that it justifies a snobbish attitude for any reason.

2. Big 12 teams don't play good defense: this has been covered ad nauseum. For the most part, the offenses in the Big 12 are significantly better than those in the SEC on average. For the most part, the defenses in the SEC are significantly better than those in the Big 12. Which will win out on January 8th? We will have to wait and see. But this argument is effectively mute. Looking deeper, we are NOT a typical SEC team. We do play great offense and great defense. Does that guarantee a victory? Certainly not. But is OU a "typical" Big 12 team? Taken literally, obviously not. They, along with Texas, are clearly the class of the league. But are they "typical" as I worded it above? Well, they do have an excellent offense and a very suspect defense -- at least very suspect at times. That is a fair statement. The question again is whether the offense is good enough to overcome suspect defensive play. And once again, we will have to wait until the 8th. But it's pointless to go round and round this same issue anymore. None of us on either side will convince the other of anything. I still contend that Florida will be the best defense you have faced this year, while Oklahoma will be the best offense Florida has faced.

3. "Recent" history: this is the last point I want to address. Some criticize Stoops for his "poorformance" recently in bowl games. Others point out that we lost our last bowl game. Still others say that history doesn't matter and that each game is its own, in its entirety. I will meet both half way. Personally, I think that you have to divide bowl games into 2 categories: those that matter and those that don't. This isn't an excuse for anyone to cling to when they lose a bowl game, but rather a statement of what I believe to be fact. Anyone who isn't "ready" for a National Championship game is nuts. Fans, players, coaches, trainers ... hell, even cheerleaders had better be damn ready. There's no excuse for not being ready. I don't think either team will have that problem. The point here is that "being flat" is totally unacceptable, and I don't see that bothering either team.
Secondly, "flat" and "off" are not the same thing however. Flat, is something that can happen when you play a homecoming game against a patsy. Off, however can be a factor in a big game due to a number of reasons. By and large the most significant of these in bowl games would be the layoff. Ohio State used that excuse ad nauseum 2 years ago. None of us is psychic, so none of us know right now if either or both teams will be a little off due to the break since the title games. In any case, the direct performance of either team is not somehow predetermined by the outcomes of previous bowl teams in previous years. That being said, I do think that some things can be learned from analyzing previous years. Before last season, Urban Meyer had NEVER lost a game with more than one week to prepare. That includes all opening games, all championship games, all bowl games and game following off weeks. Perhaps more importantly, that covers 2 years at Bowling Green, 2 years at Utah and 3 years at Florida. To me, that is significant. That tells me that Meyer is especially adept at maintining focus among his players when it might be easy to get distracted, for lack of a better word. The Michigan loss last year was his first such loss with an open week. I don't think we were "off" as much as we just ran into a better team on that particular day. Michigan was totally keyed up for Lloyd Carr's last game. Many wanted him to remain on, and there was a "win one for the gipper" mentality. Secondly, our weakness was inexperience on defense, plain and simple. We lost 9 starters off our defensive team the previous year which won the National Championship. We also lost 2 key reserves to the NFL. We had 11 players from our team the previous year playing defense for teams in the NFL the very next season! I know you have sent tons to talent to the next level as well, but that was ridiculous in a 1 year period. In any case, the point is that Meyer does have a track record of maintaining focus among his players over extended periods of time and having them "ready to play" come gametime. Bob Stoops, on the other hand, has question marks. I don't look at the Boise St. game in particular -- or any other specific game. But it is a reasonable concern to ask why Stoops hasn't consistently been ready to play come bowl time. My answer is that it is very hard to maintain focus over such a period of time. More importantly, bowl games are simply not very important -- except for the title game of course and a handful of special games. In '94 we played FSU in a rematch of the game where they had the miraculous comeback from down 31-3 with under 9 minutes to go. That was a "special" game and had some importance. But even then it was just bragging rights and emotion. But for the most part, bowl games are simply not very important. And I think that in that respect, coaches have a very difficult job getting the players' attention and maintaining it. The bottom line is that there are 2 factors at work here. "Other" bowls are for the most part, irrelevant. When you add to that the distrations of the holidays, the lack of the weekly structure that players have been used to and then for many players, a concern/discussion/thought about the NFL, it is easy to see why many teams can come in flat. That won't be a problem. "Off" however, is something different. With history as our best indicator -- no, not ancient history about how Wilkerson, Switzer or Spurrier did it, but rather recent history from Stoops and Meyer -- I think it is reasonable to say that IF the delay has any effect at all, it would likely favor Florida.

Sorry for such a long post, but I really wanted to address several different points that many keep blending together into the same arguments.

Go Gators!

meoveryouxinfinity
12/15/2008, 05:59 PM
I think I've been seeing that picture in the run up to every big game for 10 years now.

I'm pretty sure he's a special needs guy, so feel free to fire away.

ps, you're going to hell.

cheezyq
12/15/2008, 06:00 PM
To discuss the sport we all love and the big upcoming game and perhaps engage in a little good natured humor? Just a thought.

I don't have a problem with that at all. Fire away. I believe that's exactly what Knippz started this thread for. Heck, I just posted my observation about Florida fans (and non-OU fans in general) as a retort and poor CCG got his/her feelings hurt because not everyone here accepted the Gator posters with a hug and a big smooch on the cheek.

I'm all about trash talking, talking sports, humor, the whole bit. Bring it on. Just don't whine like a baby(*) if it doesn't conform to your Wizard of Oz view of the world.

*I would have said whine like a girl, but some of the girls that hang around here can trash talk with the best of us. ;)

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 06:04 PM
one NC= fluke.

We have the highest winning percentage in the nation over the last 20 years. That's a heckuva "fluke". We weren't bad in the 80's at all and we were good in the 60's too. The 70's we were down because we hired a horrible coach-though we still had a winning record of course. I remember y'all being pretty down in the 90's so that can happen to any program. As for the future, we are dominating our own state which is one of the biggest talent hotbeds in the country and our last 3 recruiting classes were ranked #2, #1 and #3 respectively. We're not going away anytime soon.

cheezyq
12/15/2008, 06:19 PM
Motivation and playing with your heart only goes so far--at least in this game, where both teams will be motivated. Obviously, Tim Tebow will have to carry this team on his back.

Real talk though, I think you guys can win if Tebow plays like Zac Robinson. Err--has similar numbers. Our ability to catch the running qb in that game was suspect to say the least. But I think Tebow is more of a hybrid Chase Daniel and Colt McCoy. More athleticism than Daniel, less accuracy than McCoy with the running style of both mixed.

I kind of agree and kind of disagree. The difference between OSU and Florida is that I think OSU has the better (slightly) OL and better running game. Also, Zac is more fast than he is strong, and I think that's the opposite for Tebow. Tebow IS fast, but I think it's his toughness that stands out. Looking at his stature, the man is a monster. I'm as big a critic of our defense as anyone, but I think that Tebow's lack of passing prowess is what holds UF back in this game and allows our defense to compete.

Example: Daniel, McCoy, Jake Long, Zac Robinson, Reesing...they're ALL good runners. Here's the one distinct difference among that group - Colt McCoy in the RRS was dead-on accurate on EVERY throw. There were several throws where he threaded it into tight spaces between defenders. Tebow is a great football player, but I don't think he can duplicate that kind of effort in the air. If he can display 80% accuracy, then we're in trouble. Otherwise, I don't think it's going to be a problem.

HungaryGator
12/15/2008, 06:38 PM
Last year, Sam Bradford led the nation in passing efficiency as a Redshirt Freshman. Guess who was #2. Tim Tebow. He only threw 6 picks.

This year he's been very accurate again and has only thrown 2 picks.

He's the leading passer in the history of High School football in Florida. He can pass.

For us to win IMO, we have got to at least slow down y'all's Offense or make you settle for field goals and/or forcing a turnover or two would be extremely helpful. We'll play zone, trying to limit the YAC your receivers get and probably mix in some zone blitz because I doubt our down 4 will be able to get consistent pressure on their own. If we can hold y'all to 28 or less I like our chances.

Soonerfan85
12/15/2008, 06:39 PM
Dang, January 8th can't get here fast enough.

See you all at the game.

BOOOOOMA

Curly Bill
12/15/2008, 08:14 PM
If we can hold y'all to 28 or less I like our chances.

If you can hold us to 28 or less I like your chances too. I don't however like your chances of holding us to 28 or less, which of course makes me quite happy.

JLEW1818
12/15/2008, 08:20 PM
If you can hold us to 28 or less I like your chances too. I don't however like your chances of holding us to 28 or less, which of course makes me quite happy.

Is it true that Florida has Usain Bolt from the Jamaica track team???

Curly Bill
12/15/2008, 08:29 PM

They really should change their mascot from the Gators to the Cheetahs. ;)

...but to answer your question: they could have had him, but ultimately he was too slow to play for Florida.

Widescreen
12/15/2008, 08:32 PM

He tried out but they said he wasn't fast enough.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/15/2008, 10:03 PM

:les: SO ADOLESCENT!!!!!!

Circle City Gator
12/15/2008, 10:09 PM
:les: SO ADOLESCENT!!!!!!

Yeah, I decided to try to fit in. :D

AlbqSooner
12/15/2008, 10:22 PM
Having lived in Florida from '87 to '03, I became a fan of the Gators, secondary of course to my being a Sooner who has followed this program from Bud to Barry to Bob. (Yeah, I am that old) There was really no choice, OU was not televised down there, OU was sucking during the blake, smellyburger years, and the other choices (free shoes u and thug u) were simply out of the question.

The Gator fans can be extremely rude in the stadium. HOWEVER, they reserve this for free shoes u, lsu and occasionally tenn. By and large they are a respectful fan base that is pretty knowledgable and quite respectful of GOOD football.

The thing I could not get across to their fans was that they tended to discount that which they had not experienced. So many of them told me of the greatness of an FSU/UF game or the annual Cocktail party with UGA. I have been to both games more than a few times. (I even bought a UF sweatshirt for the UGA game one year when it was too freakin cold in J'ville). When I tried to explain to them that these are great rivalries and very enjoyable atmospheres, but that they do not come close to OU/texass in the Cotton bowl, they just didn't get it. In their defense, until you have experienced that game (one does not "go to" the OU/texass game, one experiences it) you really can't be expected to get it. I eventually learned to just smile and nod as they told me how great their rivalries were.

Florida has a great football team this year, and considering that until the mid to late '50s the state was nearly uninhabitable due to lack of airconditioning and mosquito control, they have a pretty damn good tradition of late.

I am glad to see some posters here who acknowledge that OU is the top of the class football program over the long haul.

January 8th I do not expect either team to be "flat" or "off". I am anticipating a great game that will be remembered by all fans of football as one of the better Championship matchups since the advent of the BCS.

I expect OU will put a lot of points - certainly more than the aforementioned 28. I also expect Florida will put up a lot of points. However, I believe that Florida, while satisfied that they were in one of the better games the BCS has ever presented, will be disappointed "at the end of the day".

BOOMER!

catsigater
12/15/2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks for that ALBQ. Any Gator fan who claims to appreciate college football has to respect OU - both the tradition and the superior teams Stoops has coached during his tenure.

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 12:21 AM
Last year, Sam Bradford led the nation in passing efficiency as a Redshirt Freshman. Guess who was #2. Tim Tebow. He only threw 6 picks.

He's the leading passer in the history of High School football in Florida. He can pass.

For us to win IMO, we have got to at least slow down y'all's Offense or make you settle for field goals and/or forcing a turnover or two would be extremely helpful. We'll play zone, trying to limit the YAC your receivers get and probably mix in some zone blitz because I doubt our down 4 will be able to get consistent pressure on their own. If we can hold y'all to 28 or less I like our chances.

Hey, I'm not saying Tebow isn't great. He is. But my point is that we've faced dual threats several times this year. Daniel is an accurate passer who can run, Reesing and Robinson are too. But McCoy had to pull out an all-world performance, not turning the ball over (thank YOU, mr. replay booth), and also having the threat of the run. What amazed me the most during the RRS is that even though we lead the nation in turnover margin, we could not force that turnover with him.

But here's another crucial difference....it's not that McCoy didn't turn the ball over, it's that he completed passes that most QBs simply cannot (you have to watch the game to see this). Tebow can take care of the ball, sure, but can he match the ability as a passer that Colt showed that day? I have a hard time believing ANYONE can, not just Tebow. McCoy has a 78% completion percentage. Tebow has a 65% completion average. That's a HUGE difference, and yet OU's defense still held them to 38 points (about 6 under their average) even with the injury at MLB.

OU, healthy and prepared, SHOULD be able to contain Tebow. The question then, as you pointed out, is, "can UF stop OU's offense?" My short answer is no, and that's based mainly on the fact that against TCU Oklahoma put up 28 in the first half, and spent the rest of the game running up the middle. This was the #2 defense in the country, and we pretty much tore them apart in the first half. And it's not like TCU has faced some pansy offenses either. They held BYU to 7 and Utah to 13.

You'll never know until the game arrives, but I think OU wins fairly handily in this game. It will still be fun to watch, regardless.

O-town Gator
12/16/2008, 08:15 AM
And don't forget FSU- "Clowns," for the circus school.

A more appropriate term to describe that school out west is "Criminoles".

Also, Tebow needs to make sure he spreads the ball around and plays in a multi-dimensional way; if he's too predictable he gets shut down. Perfect example of confusing an opposing offense was in our 2006 NC game with his short pass to Bubba Caldwell that resulted in a TD; the Buckeyes were expecting Tebow to run the ball - not run and shoot as he did.

Any Gator fan who claims to appreciate college football has to respect OU - both the tradition and the superior teams Stoops has coached during his tenure.

Agreed; also, true Gator fans will always appreciate Bob Stoops for what he accomplished at Florida from 1996-1998 as part of Spurrier's staff and our first NC-winning team.

olevetonahill
12/16/2008, 08:36 AM
This is exactly the point of my thread.

I threw out that it's stupid to bring up recent memory, and threw in our accomplishments to point out how irrelevant it is, while still pointing out that Florida's accomplishments don't compare to ours. Sorry if it was a dick move, but I've grown tired of trolls posting on our board the last 4 bowl games we played. We know. Now please leave, troll. (Not you, but the ones that do)

Youve been a Member here since well this year , so tell me More about the experience youve had with trolls here for the last 4 BCS games ?:rolleyes:

Knippz
12/16/2008, 12:03 PM
Youve been a Member here since well this year , so tell me More about the experience youve had with trolls here for the last 4 BCS games ?:rolleyes:

You misunderstood my post.

I intended it to mean, "I've grown tired of trolls posting the last 4 bowl games on our board." Or, "I've grown tired of trolls posting on our board (about) the last 4 bowl games we played."

I completely get where you're coming from, I just meant it a different way than you got it.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/16/2008, 12:37 PM
We have the highest winning percentage in the nation over the last 20 years. That's a heckuva "fluke". We weren't bad in the 80's at all and we were good in the 60's too. The 70's we were down because we hired a horrible coach-though we still had a winning record of course. I remember y'all being pretty down in the 90's so that can happen to any program. As for the future, we are dominating our own state which is one of the biggest talent hotbeds in the country and our last 3 recruiting classes were ranked #2, #1 and #3 respectively. We're not going away anytime soon.

Florida: Recruiting National Champions!!!!!!

meoveryouxinfinity
12/16/2008, 12:40 PM
I kind of agree and kind of disagree. The difference between OSU and Florida is that I think OSU has the better (slightly) OL and better running game. Also, Zac is more fast than he is strong, and I think that's the opposite for Tebow. Tebow IS fast, but I think it's his toughness that stands out. Looking at his stature, the man is a monster. I'm as big a critic of our defense as anyone, but I think that Tebow's lack of passing prowess is what holds UF back in this game and allows our defense to compete.

Example: Daniel, McCoy, Jake Long, Zac Robinson, Reesing...they're ALL good runners. Here's the one distinct difference among that group - Colt McCoy in the RRS was dead-on accurate on EVERY throw. There were several throws where he threaded it into tight spaces between defenders. Tebow is a great football player, but I don't think he can duplicate that kind of effort in the air. If he can display 80% accuracy, then we're in trouble. Otherwise, I don't think it's going to be a problem.

isn't that what i just said? McCoy without the accuracy or Daniel with a better build and faster/stronger runner.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/16/2008, 12:43 PM

I'm not impressed with what Tebow did in high school. He is not a natural passer. Yeah, he can make the throws he need to make to win, but he's not lighting up the sky ever Saturday.

MAJOR break for you with DeMarco Murray being out. I guess we will see what Mossis Madu is really made of.

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2008, 12:45 PM
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/10900/brilliant.jpg

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 01:26 PM
1992-1999

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 01:45 PM
Daniel with a better build.

Could you be more specific?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/16/2008, 01:45 PM
1992-1999

Oh joy, another one :rolleyes:

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 01:52 PM
1992-1999

What does JonBenet Ramsey's grave stone have to do with anything?

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 02:03 PM
1992-1999

By the way, went and just looked it up. Since you focus on these years as dark days in OU football and what a powerhouse Florida must have been, here goes.

I wouldn't add 1999 into the mix for OU if I were you. Sure, only finished 7-5 but most those guys had rings the very next year.

But your mighty Gators over that stretch did borrow Stoops to win your very first title. You also lost 18 games over that 8 year stretch so bragging about your "dynasty" that averaged more than 2 losses a year...comical, by Sooners standards.

Bud Wilkinson lost his 18th game in year 14.

Barry Switzer in year 11. And that was after two straight four loss seasons.

Stoops? Well, since he is your Florida boy, allow me to eliminate his first season and move on to this decade. He STILL hasn't lost his 18th game since the 2000 season.

Now THAT'S tradition...but nice excerpt of one 8 year stretch.

OUDoc
12/16/2008, 02:06 PM

I think that is his mother's measurements. He left out a number though.

engigator
12/16/2008, 02:07 PM
The past history doesn't necessarily mean much. Billy Donovan couldn't get past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament for 5 years running and then he won back to back national titles. So things can change in one year. Each year is a new year. we lost last years bowl game. You lost 2 years ago. Don't think it matters much this year.

HungaryGator
12/16/2008, 03:05 PM
Florida: Recruiting National Champions!!!!!!

LOL! That's precisely what people were saying about LSU 6-8 years ago. Verbatim in fact. It was a big joke. Then they won two MNC's. We've had the #1 class a few times before in school history and generally don't extremely well on the field 3-4 years later. We've probably never recruited this well this consistently before. Under Urban Meyer we've won one MNC, 2 SEC titles, have a Heisman winner and are playing for another MNC in 4 years. If some want to believe we're going to suddenly disappear tomorrow.....OOOOOOK! :) I'll just smile and tell them to wait and see.

Reptilicus
12/16/2008, 03:27 PM
LOL at this entire thread.

HiFiGator
12/16/2008, 03:31 PM
cheezy wrote:

OU, healthy and prepared, SHOULD be able to contain Tebow. The question then, as you pointed out, is, "can UF stop OU's offense?" My short answer is no, and that's based mainly on the fact that against TCU Oklahoma put up 28 in the first half, and spent the rest of the game running up the middle. This was the #2 defense in the country, and we pretty much tore them apart in the first half.

Oh, knock it off! OU should???? contain Tebow and the Florida offense????? I'm not saying anything isn't possible, but to, in an almost after-the-fact sort of way, say that you should contain us is just silly. There's no question that the Gator defense will have its hands full with the most prolific offense ever in D-1 football, but I think they "can." Even I won't say "should," because that would just be a silly thing to say. I know they can if they play well. But in your case, the Sooners are admittedly suspect in pass defense. They have also been very suspect on special teams at times. A fair statement is that both teams will need to bring their A game, not make major mistakes and hopefully force turnovers. The team that comes closest to doing that will likely win the contest. But OU "should" contain Florida's offense???? That's silly.

Albq wrote:

The thing I could not get across to their fans was that they tended to discount that which they had not experienced. So many of them told me of the greatness of an FSU/UF game or the annual Cocktail party with UGA.

In fairness, I have never been to the Dallas game. But by all accounts, along with the Florida-Georgia game, they are the most unique and in many ways the most special. You've been to both contests supposedly, so you are certainly entitled to make an opinion. But I have a really good friend who moved to Austin 4 or 5 years ago. One of the first things he did, was to go to the big game in Dallas and he said that it was nearly identical to Florida-Georgia in almost every manner. I have also heard others say the same thing, in addition to reading numerous articles through the years that treat them very similarly. For you to act like there's no contest, is a bit of a stretch most certainly.

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 03:33 PM
By the way, went and just looked it up. Since you focus on these years as dark days in OU football and what a powerhouse Florida must have been, here goes.

I wouldn't add 1999 into the mix for OU if I were you. Sure, only finished 7-5 but most those guys had rings the very next year.

But your mighty Gators over that stretch did borrow Stoops to win your very first title. You also lost 18 games over that 8 year stretch so bragging about your "dynasty" that averaged more than 2 losses a year...comical, by Sooners standards.

Bud Wilkinson lost his 18th game in year 14.

Barry Switzer in year 11. And that was after two straight four loss seasons.

Stoops? Well, since he is your Florida boy, allow me to eliminate his first season and move on to this decade. He STILL hasn't lost his 18th game since the 2000 season.

Now THAT'S tradition...but nice excerpt of one 8 year stretch.

1999 7-5
1998 5-6
1997 4-8
1996 4-7
1995 5-5-1
1994 6-6
1993 9-3
1992 5-4-2

so you lost 44 games, yet our losses reflect poorly on us?

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 03:48 PM
1999 7-5
1998 5-6
1997 4-8
1996 4-7
1995 5-5-1
1994 6-6
1993 9-3
1992 5-4-2

so you lost 44 games, yet our losses reflect poorly on us?

No, pea brain...it means I wouldn't talk **** about a craptastic time in another teams college football history when your team in the same time frame averaged more than 2 losses a year. But, then again, you are Florida and that is a golden age for you.

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 03:50 PM
No, pea brain...it means I wouldn't talk **** about a craptastic time in another teams college football history when your team in the same time frame averaged more than 2 losses a year. But, then again, you are Florida and that is a golden age for you.

must be difficult knowing your current success started in gainesville. :(

OUDoc
12/16/2008, 03:53 PM

Stoops was born there?
Went to HS there?
Went to college there?
Started coaching there?
Spent a couple of years there before finding a better job? Oh, there it is. Yeah, thanks for inventing Bob Stoops for us. :confused:

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 03:56 PM

Wow...you are a window licking numb nut like not many other I have seen.

Bob Stoops...born and raised in Gainesville, Florida. His dad was a coach there and Bob walked on and earned a scholly, then went to grad school there while volunteer coaching. He earned an assistant coaching position there and worked his way up to D-Coordinator before leaving after 3 seasons to resurrect the dying OU program.

Is that about right?

I don't here dooshers from Youngstown, Ohio, Iowa City, Iowa, or Manhattan, Kansas, trying to lay claim to OU's success...but if it makes you feel better, be my guest. Lance Bass even thinks you are coming off...well...ghey.

And I guess his college roommate was Urban Meyer, right? Or were they boyhood friends in Gainesville? Actually, I don't really care cause that has nothing to do with ANYTHING!

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2008, 03:57 PM

and turned down the job twice. So much for loyalty! :pop:

HiFiGator
12/16/2008, 04:06 PM
You two guys are like a couple of grade school children. If you can't play nice ...

Look, it's really simple. Oklahoma has a lot of tradition. They have been an elite college football program off and on for a long, long time -- longer than Florida by a mile. However, that is largely irrelevant at this point. I'm not taking anything away from your storied past, but to bring it up at this point would be like a Fighting Irish fan talking about his team's tradition.

The bottom line is that Florida has been among the Nation's elite teams for 19 years. That is probably very close to the average age of the players on either of our teams. Therefore, all that these kids know about Florida is that it is an elite program. Oklahoma has had enough success over that time as well to be considered among the elite. It's that simple.

Sitting here babbling about history is silly for either side.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/16/2008, 04:07 PM
Could you be more specific?

I meant that Tebow is not fat where as Daniel is.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/16/2008, 04:08 PM

LMAO omg. that's bad.:eek:

meoveryouxinfinity
12/16/2008, 04:11 PM
The past history doesn't necessarily mean much. Billy Donovan couldn't get past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament for 5 years running and then he won back to back national titles. So things can change in one year. Each year is a new year. we lost last years bowl game. You lost 2 years ago. Don't think it matters much this year.

precisely. but those gators who DO think our previous bowl games matter should ALSO think that last year's epic fail vs. michigan matters as well.

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 04:14 PM
and turned down the job twice. So much for loyalty! :pop:

he chose to go somewhere that needed rebuilding. the demands at florida were probably too much for him.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/16/2008, 04:16 PM
LOL! That's precisely what people were saying about LSU 6-8 years ago. Verbatim in fact. It was a big joke. Then they won two MNC's. We've had the #1 class a few times before in school history and generally don't extremely well on the field 3-4 years later. We've probably never recruited this well this consistently before. Under Urban Meyer we've won one MNC, 2 SEC titles, have a Heisman winner and are playing for another MNC in 4 years. If some want to believe we're going to suddenly disappear tomorrow.....OOOOOOK! :) I'll just smile and tell them to wait and see.

A 5 star recruit doesn't translate into a 5 star player. For everyone of your Adrian Petersons, there is a Rhett Bomar and Jimmy Clausen. And kids like Sam Bradford and Wes Welker weren't highly regarded but look where they are.

I was joking about the whole disappearing thing. It's not a fluke. Your coach isn't going to pack up for a better CFB HC job, if there is a better one. But don't kid yourself--Bob Stoops had that job if he wanted it, and he said no.

Knippz
12/16/2008, 04:17 PM
he chose to go somewhere that needed rebuilding. the demands at florida were probably too much for him.

Yeah...rebuilding. Florida is still building. Get on our level, then we'll talk.

OUDoc
12/16/2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah, mediocrity doesn't sit well with Bob.

GG84
12/16/2008, 04:18 PM
Here is an interesting history lesson...

Oklahoma claims 7 national championships, but in three of their "national championship" years they either did not play or lost a bowl game.

1950 - Oklahoma - LOST bowl game to Kentucky

1956 - Oklahoma - no bowl game

1974 - Oklahoma - no bowl game (probation)

Stole this info from halleygator over at gatorcountry.com

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2008, 04:20 PM

resorting to speculation.

That poor UF AD was about to cry that cold day in Norman when he was boarding that private jet knowing he had struck out. Then only to have it happen again a couple of years later.

good times

birddog
12/16/2008, 04:20 PM

Oklahoma claims 7 national championships, but in three of their "national championship" years they either did not play or lost a bowl game.

ok, now check bama and everyone else in the country pre-bcs.

and then re-check the nc's OU could claim but doesn't. again see bama.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/16/2008, 04:21 PM

AP MNC's used to be handed out before the bowl games.

We aslo have seasons where we went undefeated and do not claim an NC.

It was all based on the regular season.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/16/2008, 04:24 PM
Who Embellishes Their National Championship Claims and Who Does Not (http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/007617.php)

Knippz
12/16/2008, 04:24 PM

Things were decided differently back then rookie.

GG84
12/16/2008, 04:25 PM
Here's Halley's entire list (post 1950)

1973 - Alabama - LOST bowl game to Notre Dame

1970 - Texas - LOST bowl game to Notre Dame

1966 - Notre Dame - no bowl game (elected to skip)

1965 - Michigan State - LOST bowl game to UCLA

1964 - Alabama - LOST bowl game to Texas

1960 - Minnesota - LOST bowl game to Washington

1957 - Auburn - no bowl game

1954 - UCLA - no bowl game

1953 - Maryland - LOST bowl game to Oklahoma

1952 - Michigan State - no bowl game

1951 - Tennessee - LOST bowl game to Maryland

I'm not trying to take anything away from Oklahoma's tradition, but being only 24 years old myself I think it's just funny how these old school programs go about totaling up their championships.

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 04:27 PM
Here's Halley's entire list (post 1950)

1973 - Alabama - LOST bowl game to Notre Dame

1970 - Texas - LOST bowl game to Notre Dame

1966 - Notre Dame - no bowl game (elected to skip)

1965 - Michigan State - LOST bowl game to UCLA

1964 - Alabama - LOST bowl game to Texas

1960 - Minnesota - LOST bowl game to Washington

1957 - Auburn - no bowl game

1954 - UCLA - no bowl game

1953 - Maryland - LOST bowl game to Oklahoma

1952 - Michigan State - no bowl game

1951 - Tennessee - LOST bowl game to Maryland

I'm not trying to take anything away from Oklahoma's tradition, but being only 24 years old myself I think it's just funny how these old school programs go about totaling up their championships.

that's what they mean by "storied".

primetime43
12/16/2008, 04:28 PM

Must be difficult knowing Stoops picked OU over Florida :(

Knippz
12/16/2008, 04:29 PM
We could really claim 16 if we wanted to, but we acknowledge that those other 9 aren't really legit.

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 04:32 PM
Must be difficult knowing Stoops picked OU over Florida :(

he took the easy way out. :chicken:

Knippz
12/16/2008, 04:33 PM

National Champions were decided differently back in the day.

To this day, there is still no 'TRUE' national champion.

The AP/NCAA/everyone else acknowledges that we are 7 time national champions, like it or not.

It must feel lonely down there at 2 though. Don't worry, one day you'll catch up to Texass. :D

Knippz
12/16/2008, 04:35 PM

So you're saying he stayed with the better program?

I'd say so as well.

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 04:37 PM

I'm convinced this is a penguin having fun with his fellow Sooners.

NO ONE can be this stupid.

primetime43
12/16/2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/national_championships/nchamps_team.php

It must be disappointing to be 3 behind Miami. Just think they didn't start winning until the 80's and you guys starting playing football way before them :)

TheGodfather889
12/16/2008, 04:42 PM
I'm not talking smack until after the game if I even do at all. I don't really enjoy tearing down people or their teams unless they're jerks that deserve it because everybody is in that position at some point or the other. No matter who wins on the eighth eventually Oklahoma and Florida will lose again. I prefer to be happy with the win rather than tearing down the loser. For awhile I've liked Florida, I went to the 2005 UF/Vanderbilt game when Jay Cutler almost beat them in the Swamp. I enjoyed the game and my weekend in Gainesville. I rooted for Florida to beat Ohio State and of course every single time they've played LSU. Even if we lose on the eighth which we could because I respect how athletic Florida is I will not wish ill will towards them like I do LSU and USC, simply because LSU fans are the sewage of all sports fans and the fact that there is no athlete I despise more than Matt Leinart. I will still be very upset/even humiliated if we lose though unless they put up a valiant effort but still that would hurt. But as far as smack talking goes, I really don't enjoy it anymore. The only time that I would is if I know a jerk that deserves it but even then I'd probably just rather enjoy another National Title rather than tear down Florida if we are so fortunate enough to actually win.

engigator
12/16/2008, 04:50 PM
We could really claim 16 if we wanted to, but we acknowledge that those other 9 aren't really legit.

I can't imagine how far fetched those other 9 are then.

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2008, 04:55 PM
some are actually unbeaten seasons. :pop:

Knippz
12/16/2008, 04:55 PM

You sir, are a troll and an idiot.

AP determined the national champ back then before the bowl games.

Therefore, we are 7 time national champs. If you challenge that, then you are basically saying that the national champs weren't 'really decided' until the BCS. Yet, everyone claims the the BCS doesn't determine the 'real champion' either.

So by your standards, NO ONE has EVER been a national champion.

Go back to your Gator boards and troll over there, noob.

OUDoc
12/16/2008, 05:03 PM
Do Gator fans know football was invented before 1980?

The Maestro
12/16/2008, 05:06 PM
We have three and a half weeks left.

When does the "Gatorade" smack start?

birddog
12/16/2008, 05:13 PM
why do all the jackholes come here. i thought espn big 12 clubhouse whatnot was the who's who of sports message boards.

Circle City Gator
12/16/2008, 05:16 PM
Do Gator fans know football was invented before 1980?

Yes, but we are very sad about it, given that just the year before that, we went 0-10-1. :P

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 05:29 PM

But their recent history...say over the last 5 years or so...especially in the post-season, is better than ours.

How much either of those things will impact this year's game is unknown

Lets go back to 2000...which for we all know is the first year of the current decade:

Overall Record:
Oklahoma: 92-18 (Leads the nation)
Florida: 86-29 (14th best in nation)

Conference Championships:
Oklahoma: 6
Florida: 3

Bowl Record:
Oklahoma: 4-4
Florida: 3-5

National Championships:
Oklahoma: 1 (played in 3)
Florida: 1 (played in 1)

So recently, even the last five years, OU has been better than Florida. The only thing Florida has over OU recently is the 2006 National Championship.

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 05:30 PM

Actually, according to cfbdatawarehouse.com OU has been mentioned as a National Champion in 23 different seasons.

cfbdatawarehouse.com (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/big12/oklahoma/all_national_champs.php)

delhalew
12/16/2008, 05:52 PM
I cant believe there is a punk gator troll talking his idiotic bull on Demarco's injury thread. 1st rate classless puke. The day I decided I could no longer stomach poke fans was the day that celebrated AD's injury a couple of years ago. There is a line a decent human doesn't cross.

Eh, maybe I just had a raw nerve. Either way that's not the discussion we are having here. I just jumped in an and complained because Fla was in the title. My bad.

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 05:54 PM

This could not be further from the truth, as pointed out.

1. Born in Youngtown Ohio.
2. Attended Iowa U.
3. Started coaching under Hayden Fry at Iowa
4. First became a Defensive Coordinator at Kansas State under Bill Snyder.
5. Became head coach at OU after a 2 year stint at Florida.

Stoops hardly started in Gainesville like so many of you misinformed Gator Fans want to believe.

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 06:03 PM

It was not until the very end of the 1950s where the NCAA allowed a team to go to bowl games in consecutive years.

Also, in the 1950s, they were awarding National Championships before the Bowl games. Why do you think Maryland has one in the 1950s, even after losing to the Sooners in their Bowl game 7-0?

If people would learn the history of the sport, things would not look so bad.

You do realize that most of what OU has been placed on probation for in the 1970s, is now legal, right?

stoopified
12/16/2008, 06:28 PM

How much either of those things will impact this year's game is unknownI respect you TD but you are way off here.While it is well documented that Bob and OU are 2-4 in their last 6 bowls.you are apparently buying a myth about UF and their bowl sucess.UF's last 6 bowls:

2003 Outback lost to Michigam 38-30
2004 Outback 37-17 lost to Iowa
2004 Peach 10-27 lost to Miami
2006 Outback 31-24 win over Iowa
2007 BCS Title Game 41-14 win over TOSU
2008 2001 Capital One Bowl 38-41 loss to Michigan

While UF does have a BCS NCG win over TOSU they also have a 1-4 mark in mediocre bowls vs. mediocre teams.

MarylandGator
12/16/2008, 06:40 PM
We have three and a half weeks left.

When does the "Gatorade" smack start?

just after it's poured on our coach's head on jan 8th.

TheGodfather889
12/16/2008, 06:51 PM
Gator fans and OU haters at this time seem very arrogant. I would hope that doesn't come back and bite them in the *** in about three weeks. :D

HungaryGator
12/16/2008, 07:56 PM
A 5 star recruit doesn't translate into a 5 star player. For everyone of your Adrian Petersons, there is a Rhett Bomar and Jimmy Clausen. And kids like Sam Bradford and Wes Welker weren't highly regarded but look where they are.

I was joking about the whole disappearing thing. It's not a fluke. Your coach isn't going to pack up for a better CFB HC job, if there is a better one. But don't kid yourself--Bob Stoops had that job if he wanted it, and he said no.

No doubt its a crapshoot with every player you sign. I'd say your odds of coming up with a great player are a lot higher when they are 4 adn 5 star prospects with multiple offers from other bigtime programs though. Sign enough of them and odds are you're probably going to have a very good team.

As for Coach Stoops, I've got no problem with him staying at OU if he felt more comfortable there. I'm happy with Urban Meyer.

HungaryGator
12/16/2008, 07:59 PM
ok, now check bama and everyone else in the country pre-bcs.

and then re-check the nc's OU could claim but doesn't. again see bama.

And Bama's ridiculous "12 MNC" claims have made them the butt of jokes from other schools' fans for years. Before the late 60's for the AP and the early 70's for the UPI there didn't even used to be polls after the bowl game and there were certainly no "national champions". There was only "ranked #1 on the last week of the regular season". I wouldn't claim a MNC unless we actually won our bowl game. To do otherwise would just be silly.

A-M
12/16/2008, 08:04 PM
Oh, knock it off! OU should???? contain Tebow and the Florida offense????? I'm not saying anything isn't possible, but to, in an almost after-the-fact sort of way, say that you should contain us is just silly. There's no question that the Gator defense will have its hands full with the most prolific offense ever in D-1 football, but I think they "can." Even I won't say "should," because that would just be a silly thing to say. I know they can if they play well. But in your case, the Sooners are admittedly suspect in pass defense. They have also been very suspect on special teams at times. A fair statement is that both teams will need to bring their A game, not make major mistakes and hopefully force turnovers. The team that comes closest to doing that will likely win the contest. But OU "should" contain Florida's offense???? That's silly.

You may want to ask OSU, TT and Missouri about out pass defense! They didn't have much luck connecting on their passes. Some how I really don't think they would agree with you on that statement.

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 08:11 PM

They do that for losing coaches? Or do you plan on doing it before the game?

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 08:32 PM
cheezy wrote:

OU, healthy and prepared, SHOULD be able to contain Tebow. The question then, as you pointed out, is, "can UF stop OU's offense?" My short answer is no, and that's based mainly on the fact that against TCU Oklahoma put up 28 in the first half, and spent the rest of the game running up the middle. This was the #2 defense in the country, and we pretty much tore them apart in the first half.

Your lame attempt to argue semantics does nothing to dispel the argument. My argument was that the OU defense has generally contained similar quarterbacks to Tebow, forcing turnovers and bad plays, with the one exception being Colt McCoy (who completed 80% of his passes). Given that history and statistic, OU SHOULD be able contain Tebow, no question. Furthermore, OU has contained the Missouri and Texas Tech offenses to 21 points each, well under each team's average.

However, using your pathetic attempt at an argument, UF has yet to contain ANY offense in the top 25 in the country. Therefore, there is NO reason to believe that they CAN contain the OU offense. Additionally, given that Ole Miss racked up 31 points on you on the road, and that Ole Miss is ranked 30th in PPG, there is NO reason to believe that OU can't put up more than 40 on UF.

Now, everyone who's ever watched football knows that just about anything CAN happen. UF just might hold OU and Tebow might throw for 400 yards and 0 INTs. But using HISTORY and STATISTICS (something UF fans are loathe to use), I can and will reasonably use the word SHOULD to describe the situation. You can use conjecture all you want, but until you use facts, you have no basis for making your statement.

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 08:41 PM
isn't that what i just said? McCoy without the accuracy or Daniel with a better build and faster/stronger runner.

That's the part that I agreed with. ;)

I just thought that rather than Tebow having an effort like Zac Robinson, it would have to be more on par with McCoy's effort. McCoy (with help) didn't turn the ball over and still made numerous positive plays. Robinson did well, but also turned the ball over. Giving the ball to our offense by turnover is basically a death sentence.

engigator
12/16/2008, 09:18 PM
You think Tebow compares to any QB on your schedule? There's no QB like Tebow in the nation. I'm not saying he's the best in the country or anything like that, I'm saying he's unique. He doesn't turn the ball over. His passes are ugly, but acurate and catchable. He doesn't scramble around like Robinson or McCoy for his yards. He runs through and over people. He's a combo of a bruising running back and efficient quarterback. Spare me the comparisons with robinson or mccoy.

cheezyq
12/16/2008, 09:45 PM
You think Tebow compares to any QB on your schedule? There's no QB like Tebow in the nation. I'm not saying he's the best in the country or anything like that, I'm saying he's unique. He doesn't turn the ball over. His passes are ugly, but acurate and catchable. He doesn't scramble around like Robinson or McCoy for his yards. He runs through and over people. He's a combo of a bruising running back and efficient quarterback. Spare me the comparisons with robinson or mccoy.

There are no identical QBs...but yes there are similar QBs. Jake Long, Todd Reesing, Chase Daniel, Zac Robinson, Colt McCoy, and Josh Freeman are all QBs that are effective running the ball and passing the ball. The ONLY one of those QBs to give OU enough trouble to win was McCoy, and that wasn't because of his running prowess, it was because of his passing prowess.

I'm not saying Florida won't compete, but it's not like OU has never seen a run/pass QB before. It's not like OU can't stop him either. Given that the PASSING is what gives OU the most trouble (assuming the QB makes plays AND protects the ball), then I think OU has a more than credible shot at containing Tebow. The fact that Tebow RUNS is no big deal, given that we're one of the top teams in the country in stopping the run.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/16/2008, 10:47 PM
There are no identical QBs...but yes there are similar QBs. Jake Long, Todd Reesing, Chase Daniel, Zac Robinson, Colt McCoy, and Josh Freeman are all QBs that are effective running the ball and passing the ball. The ONLY one of those QBs to give OU enough trouble to win was McCoy, and that wasn't because of his running prowess, it was because of his passing prowess.

I'm not saying Florida won't compete, but it's not like OU has never seen a run/pass QB before. It's not like OU can't stop him either. Given that the PASSING is what gives OU the most trouble (assuming the QB makes plays AND protects the ball), then I think OU has a more than credible shot at containing Tebow. The fact that Tebow RUNS is no big deal, given that we're one of the top teams in the country in stopping the run.

No you don't understand. Tebow is what happens when Adrian Peterson and Brett Favre have a baby.

A-M
12/17/2008, 09:58 AM
No you don't understand. Tebow is what happens when Adrian Peterson and Brett Favre have a baby.

Doesn't matter whose baby Tebow is, he will not be the outstanding QB in the game you think he is. You are going down, that's all there is to it.

BOOMER SOONER

meoveryouxinfinity
12/17/2008, 12:00 PM
Doesn't matter whose baby Tebow is, he will not be the outstanding QB in the game you think he is. You are going down, that's all there is to it.

BOOMER SOONER

G8trGr8t
12/17/2008, 01:39 PM
It is a team game and both QB's are good.

Difference is that Bradford & company will be facing the 9th ranked defnse and Tebow & company will be facing the 65th ranked defense. OU has not played a good defense in a long time and onl;y 1 in the top 40 while UF just played the 3rd ranked defense and has played against 9 out of the top 37 defenses this year.

Special teams were UF advantage without the Murray injury. Bigger advantage now. Sorry for the kid by the way.

Without a turnover differential, Gators win this 41 - 30.

Should be a great game though. Is it here yet???

OUDoc
12/17/2008, 02:10 PM

Difference is that Bradford & company will be facing the 9th ranked defnse and Tebow & company will be facing the 65th ranked defense. OU has not played a good defense in a long time and onl;y 1 in the top 40 while UF just played the 3rd ranked defense and has played against 9 out of the top 37 defenses this year.

Yeah. Good luck believing that has more to do with good SEC defenses than it has to do with crappy SEC offenses.

12/17/2008, 02:57 PM

Regardless, I believe our team is going to shut you short minded idiots up by the time it's all said and done. Sorry for the stupidly long post.

Gator nation listened to BAMA FAN wax nostalgic about their history as their number one ranked team was about to meet the Mighty Gators in the SEC Title game. They found more comfort in their history than thinking about the amazing athletes on the Gators. I want Sooners to be comfortable in your homes; during your travel down to Miami; and after the game. Whatever you need to do to feel comfortable go right ahead...re-live all of your wonderful history like Bama Fan:) Don't forget the part about Stoop's bowl record...OUCH!

meoveryouxinfinity
12/17/2008, 03:17 PM

Special teams were UF advantage without the Murray injury. Bigger advantage now. Sorry for the kid by the way.

Without a turnover differential, Gators win this 41 - 30.

Should be a great game though. Is it here yet???

wait, so 41-30 score is a "great game"? maybe for you...

Way to straddle the fence there.

The Maestro
12/17/2008, 03:20 PM
Gator nation listened to BAMA FAN wax nostalgic about their history as their number one ranked team was about to meet the Mighty Gators in the SEC Title game. They found more comfort in their history than thinking about the amazing athletes on the Gators. I want Sooners to be comfortable in your homes; during your travel down to Miami; and after the game. Whatever you need to do to feel comfortable go right ahead...re-live all of your wonderful history like Bama Fan:) Don't forget the part about Stoop's bowl record...OUCH!

Way to post your e-mail address on an opposing fans message board, Einstein. Hope ya like junk mail!

Circle City Gator
12/17/2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah. Good luck believing that has more to do with good SEC defenses than it has to do with crappy SEC offenses.

The top 5 offenses we faced were all clustered from 27 to 35 in scoring offense as a team. Is that great? No. Is it "crappy"? No, not really. Or at least, not as crappy as OU's defensive opponents.

Florida's top offensive opponents, average points per game, and score v. UF:

27. Florida State 32.7 (W 45-15)
29. Georgia 32.1 (W 49-10)
30. Alabama 31.2 (W 31-20)
32. Mississippi 30.8 (L 31-30)
35. LSU 30.3 (W 51-21)

OU's top defensive opponents, average points surrendered per game, and score v. OU:

TCU is 2 (congratulations), next is Cincinnati at 26, then you have to go to Texas Tech (68), Oklahoma State (70), and Nebraska (83).

2. TCU (W 35-10)
26. Cincinnati (W 52-26)
68. Texas Tech (W 65-21)
70. Oklahoma State (W 61-41)
83. Nebraska (W 62-28)

Our top 5 offensive opponents averaged a ranking of about 30th in the country. Your top 5 defensive opponents averaged a ranking of about 50th in the country.

See how this arguments just keeps going back and forth? Your strength (great offensive numbers against bad defenses) is merely mirror image of our strength, though the offenses our defense faced were overall better than the defenses your offense faced. The bottom line, though, is that this won't be a game of rankings, but of players. The real issues are going to come down to the lines (as always), and the abilities of the corners to cover. Against UF, Oklahoma's corners have to be able to cover while leaving enough in the box to defend against the run inside, outside, and around (the option). Against OU, UF's corners have to be able to cover enough to protect against the power running game and giving the speed ends time to get to Bradford.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 03:33 PM

Your bowl record is just as bad as ours the last 6 years. The difference is, we went to BCS bowls in all but one. Where were yours?

12/17/2008, 03:52 PM
If I am not mistaken in the last four years the Gators have won a national title. No matter how you spin it, Stoops is noted for losing his bowl games and getting violated by Texas. I know it is sore subject and I hate to bring it up...but it is out there.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 03:58 PM
If I am not mistaken in the last four years the Gators have won a national title. No matter how you spin it, Stoops is noted for losing his bowl games and getting violated by Texas. I know it is sore subject and I hate to bring it up...but it is out there.

Wow, people like you make Gator fans look like complete retards.

Stoops has a championship under his belt at OU. And just for kicks, he has one from Florida too.

And really, you think Texass owns Stoops? That must expain why he's 6-4 against them, huh? Idiot.

primetime43
12/17/2008, 04:05 PM

and if I'm not mistaken we have the same amount of crystal as UF.

OU_Sooners75
12/17/2008, 04:19 PM
If you Gator fans would stop, look at what OU has done with Spread offenses, and breathe for a minute....You would realize that the spread offense does not do well against OU's offense.

With that said, good luck.

OU_Sooners75
12/17/2008, 04:23 PM
double post

OU_Sooners75
12/17/2008, 04:24 PM

Lets see...
In the last 4 years....

Oklahoma: 3
Florida: 2

BCS Bowls:

Bowl Record:
Oklahoma: 1-2
Florida: 2-1

Nothing in there really tells me that Florida is all that much better off the last 4 years.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/17/2008, 04:52 PM
Why are SEC fans so annoying??? Outside of Alabama (which have awesome fans IMHO), I can't think of any I like that I have encountered...(Arkansas, Ole Miss, LSU, and now Florida). Is this how SEC football really is?

HiFiGator
12/17/2008, 05:02 PM
If you Gator fans would stop, look at what OU has done with Spread offenses, and breathe for a minute....You would realize that the spread offense does not do well against OU's offense.

Well then in that case, I guess it's fortunate for Florida that our offense won't be facing OU's offense. We will leave that up to our excellent defense and let our offense focus on your suspect defense.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 05:06 PM
Why are SEC fans so annoying??? Outside of Alabama (which have awesome fans IMHO), I can't think of any I like that I have encountered...(Arkansas, Ole Miss, LSU, and now Florida). Is this how SEC football really is?

Obviously. Why do you think the whorns resorted to SEC rules?

If there's anywhere UT belongs, it's in the SEC.

HiFiGator
12/17/2008, 05:09 PM
Here's one small suggestion: I know this is your board, not ours. But can't we agree that it isn't constructive whatsoever to continue this line of "our team's great, your team sucks nonsense?"

This Just In:

STOP THE PRESSES!

Both Oklahoma and Florida have great football teams!

Above and beyond that, both are excellent programs and have excellent head coaches. Both rosters are littered with high-school All-Americans and future NFL players. Furthermore, both have had cycles of success to be very proud of. In addition, both are led by great leaders and current Heisman Trophy winners.

We will now continue with our regularly scheduled programming.

Thank You.

Go Gators!

Knippz
12/17/2008, 05:13 PM
Here's one small suggestion: I know this is your board, not ours. But can't we agree that it isn't constructive whatsoever to continue this line of "our team's great, your team sucks nonsense?"

This Just In:

STOP THE PRESSES!

Above and beyond that, both are excellent programs and have excellent head coaches. Both rosters are littered with high-school All-Americans and future NFL players. Furthermore, both have had cycles of success to be very proud of. In addition, both are led by great leaders and current Heisman Trophy winners.

Thank You.

Go Gators!

I agree completely, and I would love to "continue with my regularly scheduled programming." But you troll fans won't let me.

OUinFLA
12/17/2008, 05:20 PM

This Just In:

STOP THE PRESSES!

Thank You.

Go Gators!

Excellent post!

are we through having fun now?

HiFiGator
12/17/2008, 05:24 PM

OK, I'll bite. Ole Miss fans are some of the most friendly and cordial people I have ever met. I have no idea when you ran into Rebel fans, and if you did, I seriously doubt it was in Oxford. Ask anyone around who has been there and they will confirm that they are an incredibly friendly group and overwhelming gracious to opposing fans in either victory or defeat.

I also disagree with your assessment of Bama fans, and I think I have encountered them plenty of times to formulate my own opinion from first-hand experience. I have been to 2 games in Tuscaloosa, at least 5 or 6 here in Gainesville, as well as 4 or 5 in Atlanta. They have a cockiness and arrogance about them that is difficult to explain. Let's be honest here: all schools have obnoxious fans and great fans. Personal experience is often just "luck of the draw," with respect to who happens to be near you. But repeatedly and for 3 plus decades, I have noticed a nature of pomposity among Bama fans that I haven't seen anywhere else in football. It is exactly the same quality that Kentucky basketball fans had for years. The difference that I have seen is that as the Gators caught up to Kentucky basketball, at least on the current level, that attitude subsided. It hasn't with Bama football. They almost think it is their birthright as the dominant SEC kings from the times of the Bear. As I mentioned, Kentucky hoops fans had that same brash nature for many years and as soon as they win another SEC title, likely will again. In any case, I would liken it to a couple of kids that we probably all knew in high school. One was the Jock, who was the all-star in sports, and most likely the leader of his clique of friends. He would talk a big game and brag about his accomplishments, but you always got the feeling that it was a bit of a "show," so to speak.

Then there was the real a$$hole. This was almost always someone with especially wealthy and/or prominent parents. On spring break, they would go to Paris or Vale or New York City. When they turned 16, they probably drove a BMW or at Mercedes. They may or may not also talk a big game, but regardless of whether they were very vocal about themselves, you could tell in about 30 seconds that these pricks really believed inside that they were somehow "better" than you.

That to me is the difference. LSU fans, for example are very loud and obnoxious, but there's no denying that they understand that they are on a hot streak and are going to enjoy the ride. Bama fans however, are that jerk with the Beamer. To use the expression, they think their sh!t don't stink.

I have gone on long enough on this, but that is my opinion and I have been to many, many football games at too many stadiums to count for the past 32 plus years.

I'm just curious if you would agree or disagree with what I said.

OUinFLA
12/17/2008, 05:47 PM
yes

12/17/2008, 06:05 PM
You would realize that the spread offense does not do well against OU's offense.

When does an offense go against another offense. That is your problem sports fan...you look at football upside down. Offenses go against defenses and defenses go against offenses. When TX exploded on OU it was there offense going against your defense. Your O is purty like the Rams Werner greatest show on earth, right before Belichek's D sent it grinding to a halt.

12/17/2008, 06:10 PM

Lets see...
In the last 4 years....

BCS Bowls:

Bowl Record:
Oklahoma: 1-2
Florida: 2-1

Nothing in there really tells me that Florida is all that much better off the last 4 years.

National Titles:

Oklahoma: 0
Florida: 1

OUDoc
12/17/2008, 10:02 PM
National Titles:

Oklahoma: 0
Florida: 1

Only someone with an AOL email address could be that dumb.

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 10:06 PM
Watch it...Sidney'll chomp ya! lmao

TheGodfather889
12/17/2008, 10:31 PM
Stoops is noted for losing his bowl games and getting violated by Texas. I know it is sore subject and I hate to bring it up...but it is out there.
Getting violated by Texas? Bob Stoops is 6-4 against Texas including a 5 game winning steak over them, including wins of both 49 and 52 point margins.It is true that Texas has won 3 out of the last 4 years but Texas has been quite a bit better as of late and I still think OU was a better team this year just not that day but they still should have taken care of Texas. I think OU has since become a much better team than October 12th.If that's getting violated by Texas then what was it when Florida was getting pounded by Florida State? Or what about Miami? Until this year Florida had not beaten Miami since 1985. Don't forget either that Bob Stoops has also won just as many National Titles, as many BCS games and more conference titles than Pope Urban the Arrogant.

TheGodfather889
12/17/2008, 10:33 PM
Stoops is noted for losing his bowl games and getting violated by Texas. I know it is sore subject and I hate to bring it up...but it is out there.
Getting violated by Texas? Bob Stoops is 6-4 against Texas including a 5 game winning steak over them, including wins of both 49 and 52 point margins. It is true that Texas has won 3 out of the last 4 years but Texas has been quite a bit better as of late and I still think OU was a better team this year just not that day but they still should have taken care of Texas. I think OU has since become a much better team than October 12th. If that's getting violated by Texas then what was it when Florida was getting pounded by Florida State? Or what about Miami? Until this year Florida had not beaten Miami since 1985. Don't forget either that Bob Stoops has also won just as many National Titles, as many BCS games and more conference titles than Pope Urban the Arrogant.

cheezyq
12/18/2008, 01:12 AM
The top 5 offenses we faced were all clustered from 27 to 35 in scoring offense as a team. Is that great? No. Is it "crappy"? No, not really. Or at least, not as crappy as OU's defensive opponents.

Florida's top offensive opponents, average points per game, and score v. UF:

27. Florida State 32.7 (W 45-15)
29. Georgia 32.1 (W 49-10)
30. Alabama 31.2 (W 31-20)
32. Mississippi 30.8 (L 31-30)
35. LSU 30.3 (W 51-21)

OU's top defensive opponents, average points surrendered per game, and score v. OU:

TCU is 2 (congratulations), next is Cincinnati at 26, then you have to go to Texas Tech (68), Oklahoma State (70), and Nebraska (83).

2. TCU (W 35-10)
26. Cincinnati (W 52-26)
68. Texas Tech (W 65-21)
70. Oklahoma State (W 61-41)
83. Nebraska (W 62-28)

Our top 5 offensive opponents averaged a ranking of about 30th in the country. Your top 5 defensive opponents averaged a ranking of about 50th in the country.

See how this arguments just keeps going back and forth? Your strength (great offensive numbers against bad defenses) is merely mirror image of our strength, though the offenses our defense faced were overall better than the defenses your offense faced. The bottom line, though, is that this won't be a game of rankings, but of players. The real issues are going to come down to the lines (as always), and the abilities of the corners to cover. Against UF, Oklahoma's corners have to be able to cover while leaving enough in the box to defend against the run inside, outside, and around (the option). Against OU, UF's corners have to be able to cover enough to protect against the power running game and giving the speed ends time to get to Bradford.

Thanks for proving OUr point. All those teams average about 20 ppg less than OU, or pretty much anyone in the Big 12 for that matter. OU played 4 of the top 10 and 7 of the top 20 offenses in the country, which obviously skews the defensive numbers.

All those Big 12 teams you mentioned played each other. You're obviously going to give up more points when you're facing teams that can put up those kinds of numbers. The Big 12 may not have all-world defenses, but the clear point is that you can't use those defensive rankings to prove your point, just as we can't use the SEC's pathetic offensive numbers to prove that your defense sucks. It's a circular argument that gets you nowhere.

Using those statistics, you haven't got a leg to stand on CCG. You say you played great defense, but you didn't face a SINGLE offense in the top 25. You say that we haven't seen a defense like yours, but your own statistics prove that we've seen better. All your statistics (the few that any of you choose to use) only cancel out the argument for either side.

To make a REAL argument you have to step aside and try to compare similar situations that each team faced. So you say that you faced some of the best defenses in the country, right? OU also faced the #2 defense in the country, TCU, and took them apart with 28 points in the first half...only scoring 7 in the 2nd half because they ran the ball most of the time. That would generally indicate that OU should be able to move the ball effectively...at the very least.

On the other hand, UF never faced an offense in the top 25, so there is no direct comparison available. However, using TCU again, TCU faced 3 top 20 offenses, and the ONLY one they could not contain was OU. As a result, we can say that since UF never faced a top 25 offense, then TCU probably has a better defense than UF, and therefore we can reasonably say that UF will struggle with OU's offense...at the very least.

How will OU do against UF's offense? Well, we've had good and bad results, and so it's hard to say for certain. However, OU has most definitely shown the capability of shutting down some VERY high powered offenses, with most of those offenses having dynamic leaders at the QB position. UF has shown to be very powerful on O, and Tebow has already said that he expects to go up against a pansy defense. But as we established above, you can't take OU's defensive ranking at its face value because of the powerful offenses OU has faced throughout the season. So this comparison is a wash.

Taking those particular facts together, the advantage goes to OU. While I'm confident that OU will win, we all know that the game can have many twists and turns. You never know how injuries and other things will impact the game. I think enough things outside of talent and coaching are in UF's favor to push the game to an even match. But don't come here with those pathetic statistics that prove absolutely nothing.

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2008, 05:02 AM
Poor Florida!!!!

HiFiGator
12/18/2008, 05:25 AM
It's far too late of an hour, and my headache has already arrived ...

That being said, I still think that I am sober enough to respond to this:

cheezy wrote:

Thanks for proving OUr point. All those teams average about 20 ppg less than OU, or pretty much anyone in the Big 12 for that matter. OU played 4 of the top 10 and 7 of the top 20 offenses in the country, which obviously skews the defensive numbers.

Must we go through this yet again? For some reason, you seem unable to comprehend other people's words. Let me try this a different way. Let me use your own words. (That alone is doubtlessly a first for you, and something you will likely notate in your memoirs.)

pausing, to allow all Sooner fans to recompose themselves ... as if they were ever "composed" in the first place ...

all kidding aside. Here are your own words again:

Let me add appropriate emphasis:

The defense rests, your honor.

OU_Sooners75
12/18/2008, 06:35 AM
Well then in that case, I guess it's fortunate for Florida that our offense won't be facing OU's offense. We will leave that up to our excellent defense and let our offense focus on your suspect defense.

There edited. Just woke up and posted what I did.

Should read, "You would realize that the spread offense does not do well against OU's defense."

O-town Gator
12/18/2008, 08:20 AM
OK, I'll bite. Ole Miss fans are some of the most friendly and cordial people I have ever met. I have no idea when you ran into Rebel fans, and if you did, I seriously doubt it was in Oxford. Ask anyone around who has been there and they will confirm that they are an incredibly friendly group and overwhelming gracious to opposing fans in either victory or defeat.

I also disagree with your assessment of Bama fans, and I think I have encountered them plenty of times to formulate my own opinion from first-hand experience. I have been to 2 games in Tuscaloosa, at least 5 or 6 here in Gainesville, as well as 4 or 5 in Atlanta. They have a cockiness and arrogance about them that is difficult to explain. Let's be honest here: all schools have obnoxious fans and great fans. Personal experience is often just "luck of the draw," with respect to who happens to be near you. But repeatedly and for 3 plus decades, I have noticed a nature of pomposity among Bama fans that I haven't seen anywhere else in football. It is exactly the same quality that Kentucky basketball fans had for years. The difference that I have seen is that as the Gators caught up to Kentucky basketball, at least on the current level, that attitude subsided. It hasn't with Bama football. They almost think it is their birthright as the dominant SEC kings from the times of the Bear. As I mentioned, Kentucky hoops fans had that same brash nature for many years and as soon as they win another SEC title, likely will again. In any case, I would liken it to a couple of kids that we probably all knew in high school. One was the Jock, who was the all-star in sports, and most likely the leader of his clique of friends. He would talk a big game and brag about his accomplishments, but you always got the feeling that it was a bit of a "show," so to speak.

Then there was the real a$$hole. This was almost always someone with especially wealthy and/or prominent parents. On spring break, they would go to Paris or Vale or New York City. When they turned 16, they probably drove a BMW or at Mercedes. They may or may not also talk a big game, but regardless of whether they were very vocal about themselves, you could tell in about 30 seconds that these pricks really believed inside that they were somehow "better" than you.

That to me is the difference. LSU fans, for example are very loud and obnoxious, but there's no denying that they understand that they are on a hot streak and are going to enjoy the ride. Bama fans however, are that jerk with the Beamer. To use the expression, they think their sh!t don't stink.

I have gone on long enough on this, but that is my opinion and I have been to many, many football games at too many stadiums to count for the past 32 plus years.

I'm just curious if you would agree or disagree with what I said.

Just to build on your post, I attended a party with some other Gator fans last night in Orlando with a guest speaker who is well-known in and around Gator football. The folks at my table and I were talking about other SEC and rival-team fans last night; one at my table did not have very good comments about Tennessee fans at all when he encountered them in Knoxville on a trip to a game years ago.

Georgia fans can be even bigger jerks, especially around the time of the WLOCP. At one time some of them hung a dead alligator on a bridge near the FL-GA border - and they have the cajones to lecture us about "class".

Bama fans have a Bear Bryant complex that explains their cockiness and arrogance - but when the shoe's on the other foot they say that about UF fans and Steve Spurrier, too.

Living in Florida as I do, the most obnoxious rival Gator fans I see are those who follow that clown college in Tallahassee led by a diaper-wearing fool who's older than Methuselah, a/k/a FSU. And they think that old fart's a "saint" - he's as much of a saint as Jenn Sterger's mammary glands are natural.

Like it's been said over and over again, there are decent fans and jerks who follow any particular team. That's a fact of life.

Hot Rod
12/18/2008, 08:24 AM
Another thing Florida will have to deal with is OUr quick plays. We can have the same personnel and run I-formation, shotgun, run the ball, pass the ball, play action.

HiFiGator
12/18/2008, 12:36 PM
Another thing Florida will have to deal with is OUr quick plays. We can have the same personnel and run I-formation, shotgun, run the ball, pass the ball, play action.

That's an excellent point and that is one of my more major concerns. I think your offense might be able to do well in a quick, maybe even no-huddle format. With the flexibility that your skill position players give you, we could easily get trapped in a poor matchup situation, causing us to burn timeouts at the very least.

Not that I'm happy when anyone gets hurt, but do you think that might be where the loss of Murray is most important? From what I have seen, he is a mismatch nightmare for a DC. When he splits out, he's too fast and shifty for linebackers, so it will be difficult to play straight up man and if we can't do that, then we can't use our full compliment of schemes and packages.

Your wideouts are excellent and I'm not taking anything away from them -- especially Iglesias -- but I do think that our starting corners, Haden and Jenkins, can hold their own. There is a significant drop off after those two however. Our safeties are also excellent, in Major Wright and Ahmed Black, but I don't think we want to rely on pairing them up man-to-man the whole game.

cheezyq
12/18/2008, 04:05 PM
Let me add appropriate emphasis:

The defense rests, your honor.

What's your name, so I don't ever mistakenly choose you as my lawyer if I ever get into trouble.

What point are you trying to make exactly? So you agree with me, then, that the teams the Florida faced all averaged about 20 ppg LESS than OU or anyone else in the Big 12? And you just wanted to MAKE SURE that everyone knew that you agreed with me?

"Your honor, I completely agree with the prosecution that my client, the defendant, is 100% guilty"

olevetonahill
12/19/2008, 01:51 AM

Hell I drink with em . They Got Good beer ;)

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 01:54 AM
That looks like someone photoshopped a sheephumper pic.

Stoop Dawg
12/19/2008, 01:57 AM
Furthermore, both have had cycles of success to be very proud of.

I think this is why this thread was started.

"Cycles of success"??? Oklahoma does not have "cycles of success". Oklahoma has "continuing success" with "cycles of mediocrity". Very short cycles of mediocrity.

I know that UF fans will think that I'm picking nits here, but your language implies that UF is in OU's league, historically speaking. You're not.

Otherwise, I agree with your post. And, furthermore, I've been extremely pleased with the number of very well-informed, well-spoken Gator fans who have been kind enough to spend a little time on our board to discuss football and trade jabs. I think this might be the best showing of fans since Bama a few years back. Good job!

olevetonahill
12/19/2008, 01:57 AM
You misunderstood my post.

I intended it to mean, "I've grown tired of trolls posting the last 4 bowl games on our board." Or, "I've grown tired of trolls posting on our board (about) the last 4 bowl games we played."

I completely get where you're coming from, I just meant it a different way than you got it.

Uh nOOb I didnt Misunderstand yer Post. You didnt say what you meant .:P

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 01:59 AM
And just how many different shades of orange do those guys claim anyway?

And the dude on the left is actually wearing a big assed texas styled belt buckle with jorts...classic!

And what the hell is his twin sister looking at back there????

And "my name is earl" on the right has girlier arms than tebow's girlfriend.

But back to lefty? Who the hell holds a beer like that? Must be his first.

Is that Mangino's thinner brother behind them?

I have to stop...I'm crying here!

birddog
12/19/2008, 07:59 AM
so, are gator fans as annoying as lsu fans? cause that's the vibe i'm gettin.

gatorsownu2
12/19/2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20081218/NEWS/812180927/1090?Title=Streaking_to_a_BCS_collision

Good read here! Intresting huh?

HungaryGator
12/21/2008, 02:26 PM
I'm not impressed with what Tebow did in high school. He is not a natural passer. Yeah, he can make the throws he need to make to win, but he's not lighting up the sky ever Saturday.

MAJOR break for you with DeMarco Murray being out. I guess we will see what Mossis Madu is really made of.

"Natural passer" is a purely subjective opinion. What I will rely upon is the objective evidence....which shows Tebow to have been an outstanding passer both in High School and in college. As for his stats on Saturdays, he passed a lot more last year when he needed to because our Defense couldn't stop anybody. He hasn't passed nearly as much this year because we have not had to. When he has passed, he has been extremely efficient.