PDA

View Full Version : The new “Day the Earth Stood Still” = environmentalist wet dream

MR2-Sooner86
12/14/2008, 03:46 PM
If you're like me and many others you've probably seen the original The Day the Earth Stood Still made way back in 1951. If you haven't I highly suggest you do as it is a great movie. It was in the day when story and not special effects made Hollywood create a good film.

Now I won't lie, the film starts out pretty fairly well. Things are changed around a bit but it stays close to the original just modernized a bit. The ship lands, Klaatu gets shot, Gort goes crazy, Klaatu calms him, Klaatu gets taken to the hospital where he escapes, and that's about where things start to go downhill.

In the original 1951 film Klaatu had a message for humanity. He talks about how people have nuclear weapons and are starting the very first stages of space exploration with rockets being shot into space. What he says is that the space community doesn't care what we do to each other just don't go into space and start wars with other civilizations on other planets. If we do the Earth will be destroyed.

Now what's the message in the new one? You should listen to Al Gore.

Klaatu meets up with this asian dude at a McDonalds that has been on Earth for years. He talks about how people can't change and how we're destroying the planet. We treat the planet like we do each other. Even though we know what we're doing we can't stop ourselves and keep on going down the destructive path. So Klaatu goes ahead with the plan to destroy Earth but save all the little critters. So a bunch of little spaceships land on Earth and start taking alot of animals with them in pairs. When they're full they take off. So yeah, they're Arks.

Without spoiling it, in case you didn't read the above, the message is this, if humans live, the Earth dies and if humans die, the Earth lives. Klaatu tells the girl, "We have stood by and watch you people destroy the planet. Only a small number of planets can support complex life in the galaxy and we will not sit by and allow you to destroy this one." This points gets drilled more as people say "our planet" and Klaatu will cut in saying things like, "Yours? It is not your planet."

So since nobody listens to Klaatu he lets Gort do his thing like you see in the previews. Gort is able to break down into a bunch of robot locust and so that's the 'cloud' thing you see in the previews. Now I won't lie, the special effects and visuals are really awesome. What you see in the previews is just a small part of the things you see destroyed and torn apart.

So how does it end? I won't go into much but I'll tell you this, a let down. Remember the famous phrase "Klaatu barada nikto"? You never hear it is this movie. The end of the original movie had a message that was simple, "well, you know what you have to do but we'll be watching to see what you decide to do." There isn't any of this in the movie. At the end you're sitting there thinking, "what the hell?" There isn't a message but it feels more as if somebody is preaching to you and telling you you're wrong in your ways.

However, if you want to know here it is.

Klaatu says he can stop the locust but in doing so it'll be a "huge price to humanity and you'll have to change your lifestyle." To rescue humanity from the locust swarm Klaatu goes to the spaceship and makes it send out a huge EMP. This causes the robot locust to die BUT in doing this all of Earth's technologies from cars to computers are destroyed and in the process we're left without power or anything. The film then ends with Klaatu leaving in the spaceship.

Now I know some people will say, "but...but...this isn't an exact remake or suppose to be like the original so if you want to see that then watch the original." Hey jackass if you're going to remake it then at least stay true to the story. If you don't then just do what people in Hollywood can't seem to do these days and MAKE A MOVIE THAT'S ORIGINAL WITH ITS OWN STORY.

In case many don't know, we're closer to space exploration with future plans for a moon base and space stations. Also, there's still a threat of nuclear war. Iran? North Korea? Terrorist and dirty bombs? However, the film makers thought they'd take a great classic and put a little 'green' into it. I mean hell, the original was named the way it was because the Earth "shut down" for a day. Does it in the new one? No. The title doesn't even fit with the remake!

If you're thinking about seeing this you've been warned. I say save your money and wait for it to rent. If I had to give it a grade I'd put it at a C- at best.

KC//CRIMSON
12/14/2008, 04:01 PM
Don't waste your time or money, the new version is terrible.

Okla-homey
12/14/2008, 06:59 PM
I heard it blew chunks.

I'm still waiting for the Christmas blockbuster to emerge. In times like this, we need a killer comedy.

Jerk
12/14/2008, 07:09 PM
I knew it. When I first saw the previews, I turned to my wife and said, "I bet it's about an alien who comes to save us from global warming."

Fkn Hollywood.

I bet the Red Dawn remake will feature a band of teenagers who form a guerrilla resistance against a right wing extreme Christian government.

Turd_Ferguson
12/14/2008, 07:36 PM
I heard it blew chunks.I thought chunks was a dog:confused:

Ace
12/14/2008, 07:40 PM
Liberal pansies and their global warming. Oh, and Keanu is gay.

GottaHavePride
12/14/2008, 09:18 PM
I guess you could cal me an environmentalist. I like the environment. I try to recycle, and stuff, though Kansas makes that ****ing hard to do.

Anyway, I also HATE ****ty movies. And despite the presence of Jennifer Connelly, who is delicious, I think this movie will suck balls.

You don't go and re-make an iconic classic of the genre. You just don't.

Not even if you're the one that made the iconic classic in the first place. YOU HEAR ME, GEORGE LUCAS?

Anyway... I will not see this one for the same reason I wouldn't watch the re-made Planet of the Apes. They screwed up the ending.

SCOUT
12/15/2008, 12:20 AM
You are right to not see it. I thought it was a ham-handed commercial for going green. I don't have a problem with environmentalism per se, but this movie sacrificed a quality story to provide a weak message.

On a positive note, Keanu does well as an emotionless alien. It aligns with his personality in the rest of his movies quite well.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/15/2008, 12:27 AM
Put me down for a couple tickets. I want to hear more about how evil humans are.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/15/2008, 11:30 AM
As soon as I heard it was about some stupid global warming ****, I knew it was Hollywood crap and I won't spend a dime watching this carp!!

SoonerJack
12/15/2008, 11:38 AM
Rent Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

WILD STALLIONS!!!

Scott D
12/15/2008, 11:40 AM
The first mistake you idiot(s) made was going to a remake of movie. For that you should be dragged out into a field and shot, then disposed of in an environmentally friendly way. ;)

Pricetag
12/15/2008, 11:48 AM
Put me down for a couple tickets. I want to hear more about how evil humans are.
I wouldn't say we were evil, just really, really lazy.

OklahomaTuba
12/15/2008, 11:51 AM
Sad thing is, this movie is more believable than Algore's movie ever was!

shaun4411
12/15/2008, 12:02 PM
hey, at least aliens were more interesting than pissed off flowers making us suicidal.

OklahomaTuba
12/15/2008, 12:10 PM
From the Associated Press:

Mother Nature, of course, is oblivious to the federal government’s machinations.

I had no idear that Klaatu wrote for the AP!

1890MilesToNorman
12/15/2008, 12:40 PM
I was hoping they wouldn't bastardize the original but I knew better. Thanks for confirming my suspicions and allowing me to save a buck.

Hollywood blows!