PDA

View Full Version : Pokes and Horns, haters etc...

XingTheRubicon
12/14/2008, 10:26 AM
Grown men, some possibly with jobs and families, have convinced themselves that they are disgusted with OU (Stoops) running up the score.

It's the end of sportsmanship!!

Now, my main question is this.

Have you ever in your life met a successful person that complained about someone running up the score? Now this excludes Horns and Aggy....if breathing weren't involuntary, they'd die of asphyxiation and drop faster than those people in Outbreak.

Example: Does anyone remember ONE Soonerfan complaining about USC running up the score? I don't. We just said congrats and then just shut up. It's all you can do when you get your *** kicked. The only time I can remember this from some Soonerfans was Nebbish in the mid 90's. I didn't bother me. We sucked, and deserved every bit of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is even at when OU is not playing, I like when teams hit the throttle. I loved it when Woody Hayes went for 2 late against Michigan.

Just curious, let's say a high functioning Horn/Aggy has a 12 year old son and they're watching the BCS selection show. OU gets the Big XII nod and Horn/Aggy screams at the TV, "that's because OU ran up the score!!!!! They cheat too, they cheat at everything, that's all those Sooners do!!!!!!"

What does the poor little 12 year old take from all of this.....that all successful people/entities cheat? That winners have bad manners? That when you lose at something in life, instead of accepting it and getting better, you just blame/slander the winner?

Well, I want to help these kids, dammit, I know they're probably ****ed anyway but I still want to help. If you're a lost young kid and reading this post seems familiar, here is what you do. Tell your Dad that you don't want to be shaped, molded and influenced by a loser. Tell him you are now a Sooner fan and if he doesn't like it, he can live in the shed like Carl. He'll resent you for it but that's what Horns/Aggy does, they resent infinity.

SoonerLB
12/14/2008, 10:52 AM
Guess we'll just have to run up the score on florida so they can biotch some more. "And that kids, is how you win a football game!"

soonerfanlv
12/14/2008, 11:07 AM
The job of the offense is to score as many points as possible in 60 minutes. The job of the defense is to stop them. What is so hard to understand?

Squigglyline
12/14/2008, 11:11 AM
The job of the offense is to score as many points as possible in 60 minutes. The job of the defense is to stop them. What is so hard to understand?

Very well said!

Cam
12/14/2008, 09:10 PM
The best way to deal with it is by getting better.

I'd feel like much more of a schmuck if the other team took their foot off the gas.

SoonerObsession
12/14/2008, 09:23 PM
Does a business ever say, "we've made enough this quarter. Let's take off the rest of the month and coast on our current earnings." No. I don't think Stoops runs the score up on teams (except against Missouri). He keeps starters in longer than I like personally, but we usually go very vanilla and grind the clock. Against the Tigers, I think he was forced to put the biggest score up possible to guarantee a spot in the NC game.

SoonerBacker
12/14/2008, 10:12 PM
When we thrashed aTm 77-0, people accused us of running up the score, despite the fact that we took a knee inside their 5 yard line. But what hurt more for the Aggie fans? The final score or the knowledge that we showed "mercy" and drove inside their 5, only to take a knee instead of scoring yet another TD?

From what I heard from Aggie fans, they were much more upset that we took the knee than they would have been if we'd have scored. It made them look even worse than another TD would have. "You can't stop us, so we'll stop ourselves so that you won't be too embarraassed."

soonerfaninfla
12/14/2008, 10:23 PM
i never one felt all season that ou was trying to run up the score except for the missouri game. obviously it wasnt the 3rd qtr. If OU did not start scoring again in the 4th, Missouri could have easily got themselves back into it

kevpks
12/14/2008, 10:30 PM
This is the most tired criticism in all of sports. The idea that we need to take it easy on a team in the Big XII is laughable. These are teams in a BCS conference. We're not talking about North Texas or Utah State here. If the horns think OU got a Heisman, a conference title and a spot in the national championship game because we run it up, then perhaps they should have done the same. But I guess they would rather be "classy." Maybe they can make themselves a classiest team trophy and put it next to all their co-Big XII south champion trophies.

Crucifax Autumn
12/14/2008, 10:35 PM
Texasss scored as many points as they were able in every game this year so they can suck it. Just because their best isn't as good as our best is no reason to cry about us running up the score. Not to mention what's already been said about us only running it up once and even in that case all missouri had to do is STOP us.

Piware
12/14/2008, 11:25 PM
i never one felt all season that ou was trying to run up the score except for the missouri game. obviously it wasnt the 3rd qtr. If OU did not start scoring again in the 4th, Missouri could have easily got themselves back into it

I'm glad the scores got crazy. We went through a couple of Chuck Long years when rather than keeping the hammer down, the Sooners let some folks hang around and it came back to bite us.

Some of us having been following this team for 50 years or more and if an opponent got a chance to do it to us there would be no mercy. The Gibbs/Blake/SmellsofBourbon era will bear this out historically.

The Puke whining just makes me laugh. They had no such scruples when poor little Missouri State came to town and the score was 57-13. No problem with Iowa State and scoring 59-17, Texas A&M was 56-28 but the ever so righteous sheep lovers conveniently don't remember those.

As for the Big 12 game, that one bothers me least of all. Between the smack talk from Booger Boy and how they really should have beat us TWICE in 2007, they had it coming and the game was over at the end of the first half. That game wasn't about just a Missouri smackdown; it was about getting a NC slot and setting a CFB record. I was tickled silly to sit there in the freezing cold and watch it happen.

As for the whiners, STFU and go play your bowl game.

MissouriSooner
12/14/2008, 11:26 PM
The best way to deal with it is by getting better.

I'd feel like much more of a schmuck if the other team took their foot off the gas.

Exactly. When my son was ten, we'd shoot hoops in the driveway, and the first game, I'd trounce him, given the age and ability disparity. In the second game, if I didn't play as hard as the first game, that made him madder than losing the first game. Intuitively, he knew that for someone to deliberately withhold their best game was insulting to him - a fact that many sportswriters, many of whom have probably never even played competitive sports - will never understand. If you get your butt kicked by someone better than you, at least you can say you tried your best and so did your opponent. It's the best incentive to get better known to man.

olevetonahill
12/15/2008, 01:01 AM
I cant stand some running up .
That Tboone just keeps on running up the Cash . He needs to let off and Give some to me .

SCOUT
12/15/2008, 01:27 AM
I find the complaints of us running up the score laughable. I will skip the obvious points such as scoring by quarter, passing vs. running plays, etc. What makes me laugh is the teams against which we are supposedly "running up the score." We aren't talking about bottom dwellers, we are talking about #2, #11 and the Big 12 title game (#20). If you bear the mantle of a top team, you should be able prevent a team from "running up the score."

tommieharris91
12/15/2008, 01:34 AM
That Tboone just keeps on running up the Cash . He needs to let off and Give some to me .
I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message.

SoonerAtKU
12/15/2008, 06:40 AM
I remember quite a few OU fans being upset at Nebraska in the 90s. I was upset, too, but more in the "how in the hell did OU get so bad?" sense.

Jacie
12/15/2008, 06:58 AM
Chrissie is still upset that OU scored that last touchdown in that 14-3 game . . .

UberSooner
12/15/2008, 07:23 AM
My question is this: how much is too much? In this era when offenses can score 35 points in a quarter, when are you supposed to call off the dogs? Do you leave your first string D on the field so they can get gassed because the offense is punting the entire 4th quarter or do you put in the entire second string so Tech can hang 50 on you in final quarter? Stoops did it exactly right in my opinion but who didn't see that comin?