PDA

View Full Version : Why Bring Up *****?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/14/2008, 10:08 AM
The last few weeks, anytime Tramel or Trotter (among others) write a story about Sam, they insist on bringing up *****. They will write things like "Sam Bradford was going to back up ***** then he got booted off the team. Sam might be sitting on the bench."

I understand it is part of the story, but why do they feel the need to keep mentioning his name? It wouldn't bother me if it were just periodically, but it is every damn story.

1890MilesToNorman
12/14/2008, 10:12 AM
Yahoo's headline about Sam has a picture of Colt next to it. The Illuminati must all be UT grads.

Crucifax Autumn
12/14/2008, 10:13 AM
Well, I think it was established long ago that they are retarded.

I don't know what else to say about it.

gatorCHOMP
12/14/2008, 10:17 AM
Well, SBSB. Radio personalities and media types tend to be more objective than rabid fans. And the fact is he is an unearned paycheck from being on the bench, and that's a fact.
But, you're missing the picture. I think Bomar would be there on stage now probably had he stayed. With the weak defenses in the big 12 and the line/recievers/running game that sam has to work with... alot of QB's would do very well.

This speaks highly of the sooners offense 'system' this year... but sets up an awful, awful sad story for sammy when he rides the heisman into the nfl, only to be a hyped bust 'system' qb.

nytehorn
12/14/2008, 10:29 AM
I don't believe Bradford will be a bust in the NFL any more so than Tebow. Texas Tech has a "system" offense, OU doesn't.

birddog
12/14/2008, 10:32 AM
i think you might have the wrong *****

adoniijahsooner
12/14/2008, 10:34 AM
Well, SBSB. Radio personalities and media types tend to be more objective than rabid fans. And the fact is he is an unearned paycheck from being on the bench, and that's a fact.
But, you're missing the picture. I think Bomar would be there on stage now probably had he stayed. With the weak defenses in the big 12 and the line/recievers/running game that sam has to work with... alot of QB's would do very well.

This speaks highly of the sooners offense 'system' this year... but sets up an awful, awful sad story for sammy when he rides the heisman into the nfl, only to be a hyped bust 'system' qb.

Well we shall see if Tebow makes it as a qb in the nfl. i see him being a safety or h-back, if not a lifetime special team star. Watch film of sam, and you will be surprised how good he is. last year when he was hurt, our team fell apart. sam is the real deal.

Crucifax Autumn
12/14/2008, 10:34 AM

How unbelievably assinine...

Tebow, who runs a spread offense and gimicky QB runs isn't exactly a lock for a great nfl career at all.

XingTheRubicon
12/14/2008, 10:35 AM

You mean like Wuerffel?

and how many times did UGA and LSU give up 40 this year?

QB's from Tenn, Auburn, LSU, SC, Vandy, MSU, UK, Bama, Ark wouldn't make the Big XII South 2 deep. SEC offenses suck. Hard.

badger
12/14/2008, 10:39 AM
***** was less coachable than Kobe Bryant. He was unpredictable and didn't seem to take anything Coach Heupel was saying to heart. Throw the ball away and don't take a hit? Oh, nonono, ***** is going to run it here because daddy says that's how you build up stats! What's that, *****, do you feel a little dinged after that hit? Well, that's why Heupel said THROW THE D@MN BALL AWAY!

Anyways, ***** bitterness aside, Stoops said that he didn't think he'd have any problem replacing a 10 TD/10 INT quarterback. I doubt he would have had a problem replacing those stats had ***** stayed around.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/14/2008, 10:39 AM
i think you might have the wrong *****No, I believe we are talking about the same *****. I am actually surprised you can still type ***** on this site.

adoniijahsooner
12/14/2008, 10:40 AM
How is Grossman doing?

gatorCHOMP
12/14/2008, 10:57 AM
Grossman's doing so-so. I understand your point, and it just emphasizes mine as well on heisman winners.
No, i don't think OU has a 'system' offense per se, just that the OU offense (system of moving the ball down the field), appears to be very effective and D-coordinators don't have it figured out or schemed and i think other qb's in that offense(system) would do well in it. It's a qb's dream.

Tebow... i think with the creative offenses developing around the league(wildcat type), i think these will only become more popular. Tebow is very versatile, and he would fit in something like this nicely.

But expect to lose Sam this year. Guaranteed. He seems like a bright kid, and any idiot knows that he's losing that babysitter o-line and his sticky-hands reciever. With a very, very pissed off texas team to face again, sam will leave. He can only go down, right? Best head out of town while striker's hot.

Does he really want NFL scouts see how he does with 'real' pressure and sacks? I remember a few pics after texas put him on his butt a few times. Expect even more of that Jan.

Stitch Face
12/14/2008, 11:03 AM
The last few weeks, anytime Tramel or Trotter (among others) write a story about Sam, they insist on bringing up *****. They will write things like "Sam Bradford was going to back up ***** then he got booted off the team. Sam might be sitting on the bench."

I understand it is part of the story, but why do they feel the need to keep mentioning his name? It wouldn't bother me if it were just periodically, but it is every damn story.

But...it's true. Had Romar stayed out of trouble Sam probably never would have taken a snap. The 5-star Idiot getting booted was probably the most fortuitous thing to ever happen to the University of Oklahoma.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/14/2008, 11:05 AM

Tebow is a system QB. Sammie reads the D and makes the best throw. Tebow will be as good a pro as Vince Y and no better.

BTW, we'll find out about those weak D's from the B12 pretty soon. Remember, Nebraska had a weak D as well. How'd that turn for you?

SoonerMom2
12/14/2008, 11:15 AM
The ***** aka idiot would have been benched IMHO after getting into it with Heupel since idiot decided he didn't need Heupel's guidance as he knew it all. For anyone to think that arrogant quarterback who knew it all would win the Heisman needs a dose of reality. Anyone that arrogant would not last around Bob Stoops. Best thing that happened to the Sooners was for idiot to get booted. With Chuck Long gone, ***** would not have been far behind IMO. For the life of me I don't see what Long saw with *****. Sam had more poise his first game then ***** ever did.

Spray
12/14/2008, 11:25 AM
Does he really want NFL scouts see how he does with 'real' pressure and sacks? I remember a few pics after texas put him on his butt a few times. Expect even more of that Jan.

Then your memory is pretty poor. His first pick against Texas was on a third and very long and was nothing more than a glorified punt. His only other INT against Texas was on the last play of the game- a hail mary intercepted in the end zone.

No pressure involved in either.

The fact is, when Sam has been pressured this year he's done what he always does- make the right decision. Run if its there, throw it away if its not, and if it all possible, check down ad make yet another completion.

He may rarely get pressured, but its happened and he's prepared.

bluedogok
12/14/2008, 11:57 AM
28-39, 387 yds
5 TDs, 2 INTs

That was Sam's stats in the Texas game, the OU offense didn't "lose" the game, that was on the defense who lost their field general.

The way Bomar was inconsistent it would not have surprised me to eventually see him on the bench and Bradford starting. The petulant persona would eventually have worn others out.

gatorCHOMP
12/14/2008, 12:14 PM
28-39, 387 yds
5 TDs, 2 INTs

That was Sam's stats in the Texas game, the OU offense didn't "lose" the game, that was on the defense who lost their field general.

The way Bomar was inconsistent it would not have surprised me to eventually see him on the bench and Bradford starting. The petulant persona would eventually have worn others out.

Texas had a few KEY stops on 3rd down the stretch when the Texas D really started putting the pressure on.

Bomar was good cuz everyone told him he was good. He kinda reminds me of chase daniels a bit.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/14/2008, 12:27 PM
The ***** aka idiot would have been benched IMHO after getting into it with Heupel since idiot decided he didn't need Heupel's guidance as he knew it all. For anyone to think that arrogant quarterback who knew it all would win the Heisman needs a dose of reality. Anyone that arrogant would not last around Bob Stoops. Best thing that happened to the Sooners was for idiot to get booted. With Chuck Long gone, ***** would not have been far behind IMO. For the life of me I don't see what Long saw with *****. Sam had more poise his first game then ***** ever did.
Exactly. The point of this thread is that I wish we could forget he ever wore the crimson and cream. While it may be part of the story, I wish they didn't bring it up every freakin' time they write a story.

JLEW1818
12/14/2008, 12:30 PM
Who cares, as long as we are happy, screw them all.

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2008, 12:39 PM
Texas had a few KEY stops on 3rd down the stretch when the Texas D really started putting the pressure on.

Bomar was good cuz everyone told him he was good. He kinda reminds me of chase daniels a bit.

Did u even watch the game? The score was 38-35 and Sam had just completed a first down pass of 7 yards, then for some reason KW decided to run the ball 2x in a row and we ended up punting; Texas then broke a 60 yard run, scored again, and the game was over; don't talk about something if you don't have a clue what you are talking about

Piware
12/14/2008, 01:01 PM
I agree. Forget *****! We have had two outstanding QBs since his departure (good riddance) and haven't missed him a bit. I wonder if he watched last night and realized that with some common sense and humility he could have been in the running. I don't think he would have ever won it but he may at least have been in contention.

Sam is head and shoulders above ***** in athletic ability and pure game instinct.

gatorCHOMP
12/14/2008, 01:18 PM
Did u even watch the game? The score was 38-35 and Sam had just completed a first down pass of 7 yards, then for some reason KW decided to run the ball 2x in a row and we ended up punting; Texas then broke a 60 yard run, scored again, and the game was over; don't talk about something if you don't have a clue what you are talking about

My oh my... i love these sooners.

Ahem. Please see below drive summary below to see if YOU watched the game. Basically, once Texas took the lead and it was up to Sam to win the game, he FAILED. Every 3rd and 4th down ended in an incompletion or interception. Especially after he was sacked.

So please, don't say i didn't watch the game or something of the sorts.

Now, this brings me to my main point and the story of the upcoming game. QB pressure from the greatest, fastest D-Line in football will not end very well for Sam, especially when the game is on the line. Heisman worthy? hmm.

Oklahoma at 7:37 TEX OKLA
1st and 10 at OKLA 38 Sam Bradford pass complete to Juaquin Iglesias for 7 yards to the Okla 45. 38 35
2nd and 3 at OKLA 45 DeMarco Murray rush for 1 yard to the Okla 46.
3rd and 2 at OKLA 46 Sam Bradford pass incomplete.
4th and 2 at OKLA 46 Mike Knall punt for 34 yards, fair catch by Quan Cosby at the Texas 20.
DRIVE TOTALS: Okla drive: 3 plays 8 yards, 00:58 Okla PUNT

Texas at 6:39 TEX OKLA
1st and 10 at TEX 20 Chris Ogbonnaya rush for 3 yards to the Texas 23. 38 35
2nd and 7 at TEX 23 Colt McCoy pass complete to Quan Cosby for 3 yards to the Texas 26.
3rd and 4 at TEX 26 Colt McCoy pass complete to Chris Ogbonnaya for 10 yards to the Texas 36 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at TEX 36 Chris Ogbonnaya rush for 62 yards to the Okla 2 for a 1ST down.
1st and Goal at OKLA 2 Colt McCoy pass incomplete.
2nd and Goal at OKLA 2 Cody Johnson rush for 2 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 44 35
Hunter Lawrence extra point GOOD. 45 35
Justin Tucker kickoff for 62 yards returned by DeMarco Murray for 32 yards to the Okla 40.
DRIVE TOTALS: Texas drive: 6 plays 80 yards, 02:30 Texas TD

Oklahoma at 4:02 TEX OKLA
1st and 10 at OKLA 40 Sam Bradford pass complete to Ryan Broyles for 19 yards to the Texas 41 for a 1ST down. 45 35
1st and 10 at TEX 41 Sam Bradford pass incomplete.
2nd and 10 at TEX 41 Sam Bradford sacked for a loss of 5 yards to the Texas 46.
3rd and 15 at TEX 46 Timeout OKLAHOMA, clock 03:12.
3rd and 15 at TEX 46 Sam Bradford rush for 7 yards to the Texas 39.
4th and 8 at TEX 39 Sam Bradford pass incomplete.
DRIVE TOTALS: Okla drive: 5 plays 21 yards, 01:31 Okla DOWNS

Texas at 2:31 TEX OKLA
1st and 10 at TEX 39 Chris Ogbonnaya rush for a loss of 1 yard to the Texas 38. 45 35
2nd and 11 at TEX 38 Timeout OKLAHOMA, clock 02:27.
2nd and 11 at TEX 38 Chris Ogbonnaya rush for 3 yards to the Texas 41.
3rd and 8 at TEX 41 Timeout TEXAS, clock 01:38.
3rd and 8 at TEX 41 Chris Ogbonnaya rush for 1 yard to the Texas 42.
4th and 7 at TEX 42 Timeout TEXAS, clock 00:56.
4th and 7 at TEX 42 John Gold punt for 51 yards, returned by Ryan Broyles for 12 yards to the Okla 19.
DRIVE TOTALS: Texas drive: 3 plays 3 yards, 01:46 Texas PUNT

Oklahoma at 0:45 TEX OKLA
1st and 10 at OKLA 19 Sam Bradford pass incomplete. 45 35
2nd and 10 at OKLA 19 Sam Bradford pass complete to Juaquin Iglesias for 28 yards to the Okla 47 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at OKLA 47 Team pass incomplete.
2nd and 10 at OKLA 47 Sam Bradford pass complete to Juaquin Iglesias for 7 yards, fumbled, recovered by Okla at the Texas 45.
3rd and 2 at TEX 45 Team pass incomplete.
4th and 2 at TEX 45 Sam Bradford pass intercepted by Earl Thomas at the Texas 0, returned for no gain.
4th and 2 at TEX 45 End of 4th Quarter
End of 4th Quarter

jkjsooner
12/14/2008, 01:25 PM
I agree. Forget *****! We have had two outstanding QBs since his departure (good riddance) and haven't missed him a bit. I wonder if he watched last night and realized that with some common sense and humility he could have been in the running. I don't think he would have ever won it but he may at least have been in contention.

Sam is head and shoulders above ***** in athletic ability and pure game instinct.

Two? Outstanding? I appreciate what Thompson did in helping us win a Big 12 championship but my goodness I can't believe anyone would call him outstanding. Maybe I'm biased after seeing White and Bradford but if Thompson had 1/10th the accuracy of either of these guys on 20+ yard passes we would have blown Boise State out of the that game.

And not to defend Bomar but let's not forget that he had a pretty crappy offensive line. It's a little harder to show poise when you have guys in your face constantly. Frankly, we needed a runner like Bomar that year to have a chance.

jkjsooner
12/14/2008, 01:36 PM
My oh my... i love these sooners.

To me it looked like Bradford did everything he could to move the ball. Third and 15 while in four down territory he rushed for seven yards to give us a chance on fourth down. I guarantee you he's not the first QB to throw an incompletion on 4th and 8. Geez!

And thanks for bolding that interception. It was exactly what we said - a hail mary pass to end the game.

Dio
12/14/2008, 01:54 PM
Now, this brings me to my main point and the story of the upcoming game. QB pressure from the greatest, fastest D-Line in football will not end very well for Sam, especially when the game is on the line. Heisman worthy? hmm.
r

Do you write ad copy for Okie Lite's offense in your spare time?

gatorCHOMP
12/14/2008, 01:55 PM
After the sack, it seemed he was rattled. They took a time out, then the next play, he couldn't throw the ball. Couldn't find anyone all of a sudden and took off running. I remember his demeanor being, not so right. Then an incompletion on 4th.
Fact is, he was 2-7 after the sack. Not so normal for sam especially when the game is on the line.
Mizzou didn't even rush anyone on him all game... he just picked them apart. Mizzou had no d-line to compete and they knew it. UF, is a different story.

A Sooner in Texas
12/14/2008, 02:01 PM
At least when OU lost to UT our loss was to one of the best teams in the nation...in other words, NOT Ole Miss.

And Paul Thompson may not have been outstanding in terms of stats, but he was outstanding in being a receiver suddenly moved to QB after ****head left and not failing. That was a rough year overall, but PT did a tremendous job and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for him.

If ****head was still playing at OU, would we be where we are...with a Heisman Trophy winner who will lead the Sooners to our eighth national championship? I think Sammy was meant to be where he is.

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2008, 02:23 PM
After the sack, it seemed he was rattled. They took a time out, then the next play, he couldn't throw the ball. Couldn't find anyone all of a sudden and took off running. I remember his demeanor being, not so right. Then an incompletion on 4th.
Fact is, he was 2-7 after the sack. Not so normal for sam especially when the game is on the line.
Mizzou didn't even rush anyone on him all game... he just picked them apart. Mizzou had no d-line to compete and they knew it. UF, is a different story.

Ok, i will give you i was wrong about OU running the ball 2x in a row when they were down 3 points, but to pin this one on Sam tells me you didn't watch the game at all; so using your logic, i guess Tebow failed in the clutch against Ole Miss? I've seen mighty Florida play this season, and i'm not impressed with the defense; Alabama has a QB that wouldn't start for anyone in the Big 12 South, and they still scored 20 points and should have had more; the SEC has the worst QB's i've ever seen in that league this season

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2008, 02:24 PM
At least when OU lost to UT our loss was to one of the best teams in the nation...in other words, NOT Mississippi State.

And Paul Thompson may not have been outstanding in terms of stats, but he was outstanding in being a receiver suddenly moved to QB after ****head left and not failing. That was a rough year overall, but PT did a tremendous job and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for him.

If ****head was still playing at OU, would we be where we are...with a Heisman Trophy winner who will lead the Sooners to our eighth national championship? I think Sammy was meant to be where he is.

Actually it was Ole Miss. :D

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2008, 02:26 PM
What the hell is a "Team Pass Incomplete" ?

BudSooner
12/14/2008, 03:33 PM
**** on the talk about the dumbass, what I want to know is...if that SEC D is sooooooo scary, then....how the hell did lil old CITADEL score 19 points?

Was your D out taking a **** when that happened? Seriously, I want to know, if they can score on you then our offense should have pretty easy pickings.

gatorCHOMP
12/14/2008, 03:47 PM
**** on the talk about the dumbass, what I want to know is...if that SEC D is sooooooo scary, then....how the hell did lil old CITADEL score 19 points?

Was your D out taking a **** when that happened? Seriously, I want to know, if they can score on you then our offense should have pretty easy pickings.

Well, BUD. Citadel wasn't much of a game. The score is lopsided, so the faster we scored TD's, it just gave the other team more chances at scoring in this 'rest' game, gearing up for tougher games on the horizons. Be well assured that THIS D, will be soooooo scary come Jan.

Soonersince57
12/14/2008, 03:52 PM

It's been three years since Bomar played a few games here. I find it interesting that you pretend to know anything about him.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/14/2008, 04:20 PM
Something tells me this is an aggy in gator clothing.

bluedogok
12/14/2008, 04:25 PM
Well, BUD. Citadel wasn't much of a game. The score is lopsided, so the faster we scored TD's, it just gave the other team more chances at scoring in this 'rest' game, gearing up for tougher games on the horizons. Be well assured that THIS D, will be soooooo scary come Jan.
You could pretty much say the same thing in OU giving up "so many points" on defense and kick returns this season. Because OU scored at such a rapid pace and so often it gives the other teams more chances with the ball. This was especially true with kickoff returns.

birddog
12/14/2008, 04:37 PM
No, I believe we are talking about the same *****. I am actually surprised you can still type ***** on this site.

no, i should have quoted. i meant the other guy.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/14/2008, 04:39 PM
3rd and 2 at OKLA 46 Sam Bradford pass incomplete.

this was on our OC more than sam. kevin wilson has done about as good of a job as an OC could do, however if he has one fault its that he gets greedy. on this play he called a very low percentage fade route.

1st and 10 at TEX 36 Chris Ogbonnaya rush for 62 yards to the Okla 2 for a 1ST down.

this was the most inexplicable defensive call by venables all year. we steadfastly stay with a 4-3 for most of the game when they are throw throw throw. then when the only thing they are going to do is run, we sub into a dime and they line up out of position and then tackle even worse.

1st and 10 at TEX 41 Sam Bradford pass incomplete.

catchable ball to manuel johnson. he feels contact and gives up. while there was contact, in this situation that has to be secondary as YOU MUST CATCH THE BALL.

2nd and 10 at TEX 41 Sam Bradford sacked for a loss of 5 yards to the Texas 46.

meh, complete breakdown by the OL

3rd and 15 at TEX 46 Sam Bradford rush for 7 yards to the Texas 39.

good play here, get 1/2 the yards back making it a makeable 4th down

4th and 8 at TEX 39 Sam Bradford pass incomplete.

perfect strike to ryan broyles except iglesias tries to play hero and dives tipping the ball. this has been a recurring theme with iglesias in that when he plays within the O, he is insanely good. the problem is he sometimes feels like he is the O, much like kelly did last year, and that everything should be to him.

1st and 10 at OKLA 19 Sam Bradford pass incomplete. 45 35

don't remember this series because at this point, the game was over.

2nd and 10 at OKLA 19 Sam Bradford pass complete to Juaquin Iglesias for 28 yards to the Okla 47 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at OKLA 47 Team pass incomplete.
2nd and 10 at OKLA 47 Sam Bradford pass complete to Juaquin Iglesias for 7 yards, fumbled, recovered by Okla at the Texas 45.
3rd and 2 at TEX 45 Team pass incomplete.
4th and 2 at TEX 45 Sam Bradford pass intercepted by Earl Thomas at the Texas 0, returned for no gain.

things that our offense has done better since texas.

1. wear the opposing D out. against texas we took FOREVER to get plays off. since then we are running a ton of plays and D's have no gas left.

2. less low percentage plays - against texas we stopped 3-4 drives with dumb, overly aggressive low percentage plays on 3rd down. since then we haven't thrown deep fades, posts into double coverage, etc. on 3rd down (we do call them on 1st and 2nd though).

3. utilize our 3 headed monster at tailback to find favorable matchups in the running game. before it was murray and some brown and against texas murray played really badly. since, its been murray/brown/madu depending upon favorable matchups with the defense - all 3 have responded and have been gaining yards in chunks.

DominoMaximo
12/14/2008, 05:12 PM
I have seen alot of Florida fans on this board talking about how OU will finally get to see a real defense. Florida's defense is great no doubt but they aren't like great defenses I have seen in the past. To be quite honest both defenses are pretty evenly matched when considering the types of offenses both teams have had to play all year long. (Florida having played 1 offense ranked in the top 25 / OU playing 6 offenses in the top 25

It is fair to say that OU's defense would improve if it played in the SEC and Florida's offense would improve if it played in the BIG XII. I'm sure OU's defense would love to face SEC offenses every week. Only good offense in the SEC is probably Florida and over-rated Georgia. Alabama's offense would be the 10th best in the BIG XII. Everybody has seen the total stats on offense and defense for both conferences and where one lacks the other falters.

I have also heard that this game will determine if the BIG XII offenses are really that good or if the SEC defenses are really that good. The game WILL NOT ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS. It is a match up between 2 teams, not both conferences. In all honesty Florida's defense and Texas' defense are similar in regards to talent. I know game to game comparisons seldom work so why should 1 game determine why the SEC offenses are so bad and the BIG XII defesnes are so bad?

I would like to see a stat of how BIG XII defenses and SEC defenses have done out side of conference this year. Anybody come up with that stat?

gatorCHOMP
12/14/2008, 06:06 PM
Something tells me this is an aggy in gator clothing.

Lol.. i've read some boards and such about the unspoken QB situation at ou when he was first mentioned in the same presence as TT for the heisman. There was also that espn thing about him playing for some school in e. tex.

And i don't much care for Texas AM, so no aggy(ie) here.

Nice breakdown of the 4th drive there against texas.. so you're blaming the OC instead of sam? alright, i guess.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/14/2008, 06:25 PM
I have seen alot of Florida fans on this board talking about how OU will finally get to see a real defense. Florida's defense is great no doubt but they aren't like great defenses I have seen in the past. To be quite honest both defenses are pretty evenly matched when considering the types of offenses both teams have had to play all year long. (Florida having played 1 offense ranked in the top 25 / OU playing 6 offenses in the top 25

It is fair to say that OU's defense would improve if it played in the SEC and Florida's offense would improve if it played in the BIG XII. I'm sure OU's defense would love to face SEC offenses every week. Only good offense in the SEC is probably Florida and over-rated Georgia. Alabama's offense would be the 10th best in the BIG XII. Everybody has seen the total stats on offense and defense for both conferences and where one lacks the other falters.

I have also heard that this game will determine if the BIG XII offenses are really that good or if the SEC defenses are really that good. The game WILL NOT ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS. It is a match up between 2 teams, not both conferences. In all honesty Florida's defense and Texas' defense are similar in regards to talent. I know game to game comparisons seldom work so why should 1 game determine why the SEC offenses are so bad and the BIG XII defesnes are so bad?

I would like to see a stat of how BIG XII defenses and SEC defenses have done out side of conference this year. Anybody come up with that stat?All I know is that when I watched the Bama/Florida game it appeared that Sam and Co. would have no problem lighting them up.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/14/2008, 06:39 PM
Nice breakdown of the 4th drive there against texas.. so you're blaming the OC instead of sam? alright, i guess.

who else do you blame when the plays are called in from the sideline and the QB rises up and throws a fade? that is a low % play that wasn't executed.

PalmBeachSooner
12/14/2008, 06:42 PM

I don't know about that. I would definitely bet more money on Sam succeeding in the NFL than McCoy or Tebow at QB. Tebow might but it won't be at QB. But then again if you took the best talents of all three and rolled them into one player they would have no chance playing for the Detroit Lions.

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2008, 07:54 PM
Lol.. i've read some boards and such about the unspoken QB situation at ou when he was first mentioned in the same presence as TT for the heisman. There was also that espn thing about him playing for some school in e. tex.

Oh boy, no wonder you have been negged to bolivia; JKM is only the most respected poster on here when it comes to dissecting what is going on with OU football and if he says it, then it's 99.9% sure that's what really happened; the man knows his football and if you posted here before today you would realize that.

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2008, 07:55 PM

Oh, and the Aggie we are referring to is OSU; the Texas Ags are usually referred to as ATM or eatme

gatorCHOMP
12/14/2008, 10:49 PM
Oh boy, no wonder you have been negged to bolivia; JKM is only the most respected poster on here when it comes to dissecting what is going on with OU football and if he says it, then it's 99.9% sure that's what really happened; the man knows his football and if you posted here before today you would realize that.

Oh, i thought that's what i said. It was a nice breakdown of the 4th quarter and it appears that he knows his stuff on football, and sooner football. It was nice to hear it.
I truly didn't factor poor playcalling in on the end of the game. So who turned around after that game? The OC or Sam?

tulsaoilerfan
12/15/2008, 12:13 AM
Oh, i thought that's what i said. It was a nice breakdown of the 4th quarter and it appears that he knows his stuff on football, and sooner football. It was nice to hear it.
I truly didn't factor poor playcalling in on the end of the game. So who turned around after that game? The OC or Sam?

Sam played a great game, and all we were saying is to put the blame for the end of the game on him is really unfair to him; there were breakdowns all over the place in the 4th quarter of the Texas game, and it included everyone on the coaching staff and damn near everyone that was on the field; when you consider we ran the ball 28x for 48 yards the only reason we had a chance to win was Sam's brilliance, and none of us hold him responsible for the 4th quarter; statistically we know he didn't look that good, but stats don't tell the whole story.

Now to try to answer your question, IMO the thing that turned it around was the play of the offensive line; we had struggled running the ball early in the year and after the Texas game, the OC basically called out the players for poor execution;myself i thought it was not right, but it seems to have worked. I am looking forward to the matchup of our offense against your defense and am hoping we can continue executing at the level we have been the last 2 months.

gatorCHOMP
12/15/2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah, i've got to say it almost seems like fantasy land, the way they are playing. That's one reason we are saying that about the D's in the big 12, because this offense seems unreal *to quote bradford.
They are a hot team right now.
I really hope this 6 week break and heisman tour somewhat 'cools' Sam and crew back to a normal type of play and the boys have thier normal, january let-down. I do feel it's a 'do or die' game for stoops as he's chalked full of talent and can't go to another bowl game seemingly unprepared. That's why i'm not as confident as some of my fellow gators. Some thinks it will be a stomping similar to O-state in 06, but i don't think so.

BudSooner
12/15/2008, 09:57 AM
Ya better hope your defense doesn't cool after the 6 week layoff, and you turn into Texas Tech.

I loves me some 65-21 *** whoopin! :D
Enjoy the game, and come back afterwards, we always enjoy some banter between teams fans.

'Cept usc, they suck balls. :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/15/2008, 10:45 AM

i'm sure there are plays that your OC calls that makes you go "what in the heck are you thinking?". you know like the forever to develop 1 man route trick play that can only work if the defense is asleep - yet you run it once a game? for us, its the deep fade and the post. both of these routes fail because we don't have a wide receiver who is either a) going to run by anyone or b) outjump anyone for the ball. now if its gresham on the route, its a different story.

i understand that there are "keep them honest" plays that you have to run. you have to run deep fades to keep the defense from cheating in towards the middle of the field. you have to run the post to keep the safeties back and from cheating to the edges. where kevin wilson has morphed from really good to insanely good as a play caller has been that he hasn't stalled us out by running these plays when we were hot. against texas, every time we got into a rhythm he would stick one of these low percentage plays into the middle of a drive (normally after a 1 yard run on 1st down) and then he'd run a max protect 2 man route on 3rd and long (this was the same formula that we used with jason white, only our problem is that these receivers are not a) as good or b) as clutch as white's corps.). end result - drive stalls.

since that game, what we have done is give sam multiple options, taking away the predetermined throws at snap. this way he's always got 3-4 receivers in one of the following areas: LOS, in the seam, shallow cross, intermediate, and deep intermediate. the problems for defenses is that since our personnel are all interchangeable it could be any receiver in any zone. this is why to this point no one plays man against us, because if you take the safety out of the middle of the field, they'll flex a running back out and have him run a vertical against a linebacker. if you bring in your nickel or dime, the same personnel will line up in an power I and play power football.

OUMallen
12/15/2008, 11:27 AM
But...it's true. Had Romar stayed out of trouble Sam probably never would have taken a snap. The 5-star Idiot getting booted was probably the most fortuitous thing to ever happen to the University of Oklahoma.

The guy threw for only 10 TDs. Bradford just led the most prolific offense in the modern era of college football and won a Heisman.

I think the BETTER assumption is that Bradford would have beaten him out for the job.

KingBarry
12/15/2008, 11:53 AM
The guy threw for only 10 TDs. Bradford just led the most prolific offense in the modern era of college football and won a Heisman.

I think the BETTER assumption is that Bradford would have beaten him out for the job.

Honesty, it's hard to imagine Sam Bradford sitting behind Rhett Bomar for more than a year.

I am convinced that Bomar was destined for dismassal, and if the improper pay stubs had not come to light, something else would have resulted in his getting the boot. I think it was just meant to be.

And, like Mallen, if Bomar had not been dismissed, I think Bradford was going to beat him out, leading to Bomar's eventual transfer anyway.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/15/2008, 12:45 PM
Honesty, it's hard to imagine Sam Bradford sitting behind Rhett Bomar for more than a year.

I am convinced that Bomar was destined for dismassal, and if the improper pay stubs had not come to light, something else would have resulted in his getting the boot. I think it was just meant to be.

And, like Mallen, if Bomar had not been dismissed, I think Bradford was going to beat him out, leading to Bomar's eventual transfer anyway.

all the proof you need was the unsportsmanlike at the end of the holiday bowl. i'll bet just mentioning it front of stoops would start his blood boiling...

gatorCHOMP
12/15/2008, 01:13 PM
i'm sure there are plays that your OC calls that makes you go "what in the heck are you thinking?". you know like the forever to develop 1 man route trick play that can only work if the defense is asleep - yet you run it once a game? for us, its the deep fade and the post. both of these routes fail because we don't have a wide receiver who is either a) going to run by anyone or b) outjump anyone for the ball. now if its gresham on the route, its a different story.

i understand that there are "keep them honest" plays that you have to run. you have to run deep fades to keep the defense from cheating in towards the middle of the field. you have to run the post to keep the safeties back and from cheating to the edges. where kevin wilson has morphed from really good to insanely good as a play caller has been that he hasn't stalled us out by running these plays when we were hot. against texas, every time we got into a rhythm he would stick one of these low percentage plays into the middle of a drive (normally after a 1 yard run on 1st down) and then he'd run a max protect 2 man route on 3rd and long (this was the same formula that we used with jason white, only our problem is that these receivers are not a) as good or b) as clutch as white's corps.). end result - drive stalls.

since that game, what we have done is give sam multiple options, taking away the predetermined throws at snap. this way he's always got 3-4 receivers in one of the following areas: LOS, in the seam, shallow cross, intermediate, and deep intermediate. the problems for defenses is that since our personnel are all interchangeable it could be any receiver in any zone. this is why to this point no one plays man against us, because if you take the safety out of the middle of the field, they'll flex a running back out and have him run a vertical against a linebacker. if you bring in your nickel or dime, the same personnel will line up in an power I and play power football.

Wow... thanks, very impressive and insightful. I haven't paid much attention to the sooners this year until late, obviously. The UT game i watched and thought, meh... And watched these later games with more interest and came to the conclusion of weak defenses by at least TT, Mizzou, and O-state. But, also impressed by the offense.

Hearing you're explanation of sam's ability and freedom to check down 4 receivers?? If true, that's very impressive. The mizzou game was interesting as well with thier inability/decision to avoid any kind of pass rush at all and put everyone in the secondary. Not very effective.

So, this brings me to the Gators.. in particular the effective pass rush of these Gators. This is the most crucial aspect of the matchup. Your defense is not able to match up with our fast skill players. The OU D chasing thier tales with our wideouts will be funny. But, reading your explanation of ou's effectiveness and sam's talents has me even more so... praying that we get that pass rush. We cannot allow bradford a freaking 3-4 checkdown opportunity to find the open guy. WE HAVE TO GET TO HIM. Limit that, put him on his back a few times, and well... our chances improve greatly. Our special teams play and stingy run defense along with other advantages in the game cannot make up for bradford standing back there that long. It cannot and will not happen. Expect a full dose of gator pass rush. yes, i'm a bit more nervous compared to my peers about this game than i've been against ohio state-06 and alabama this year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/15/2008, 01:57 PM
sam has averaged between 4-6 seconds to throw on the season. this is about average for the big 12 as even though we led the nation in sacks, we were hit and miss and tended to give guys 5 seconds to throw. of course, if we could actually tackle once we got to the QB we would probably have had double the sacks we have now.

against alabama it looked like parker wilson was averaging 4-5 seconds to throw. based on what i saw, alabama is a better run blocking team but not nearly as good at pass blocking. to this point, about the only guy we've had problems blocking on the edge is sergio kindle. we also had some problems with line stunts early in the year, but they haven't been a factor in the last month or so.

i'd describe our run blocking as "blocking by attrition". i can't emphasize enough how taxing our pace is on the guys in the trenches. we just flat out wear out your DL and then push them around. its why while you argue speed, speed, speed - i think playing run and gun with us isn't the best strategy.

OUMallen
12/15/2008, 02:08 PM
all the proof you need was the unsportsmanlike at the end of the holiday bowl. i'll bet just mentioning it front of stoops would start his blood boiling...

Hell, it gets my blood boiling, and I'm just a fan. :mad:

humblesooner
12/15/2008, 03:37 PM
I have a standard reply that I like to interject any time I hear about how bad the OU or B12 defenses are.
If you look at stats and say that OU is giving up 30 points per game and rank them on points per game, then you are missing a crucial stat.
Our offense runs so fast and scores so many points, that our opponents are getting more opportunities per game.
OU commonly will have 15-20 possessions per game. Guess what happens after each of our possessions? That's right, our opponent gets the ball back.
If we are giving up a TD every 4-5 possessions, that equates to about 20-24 points per game for a normal game. When our opponents have an additional 5 possessions per game (+33%), then they are going to score approximately +33% more per game.
With the up-tempo offenses in the B12 this year, this will extrapolate across to most of the B12.
Not necessarily bad defenses, just defensing more plays/possessions than most slow down, grind it out (SEC/B10) teams/conferences.

I would like to see a statistical breakdown of points allowed per play or even points allowed per possession.
I would bet that OU's defense, while they are not on par with Barry Switzer's defenses of the 70's and 80's, would be right near the top of the NCAA stats.

OUMallen
12/15/2008, 03:40 PM
Someone did it on the radio. OU gives up approx. 1.4 points/possession. Alabama gave up approx 1.1 points/possession. OU is not that far off the pace.

gatorCHOMP
12/15/2008, 03:44 PM
I wasn't considering the stats, just those teams i mentioned, b/c i watched those games vs. ou. Mizzou, 0-state, and texas tech. TT? horrible defense... they didn't even show up. The rest? They didn't have a pass rush, couldn't stop the run, and couldn't cover. They really, really didn't look good against the sooners.

Soonersince57
12/15/2008, 04:30 PM
I wasn't considering the stats, just those teams i mentioned, b/c i watched those games vs. ou. Mizzou, 0-state, and texas tech. TT? horrible defense... they didn't even show up. The rest? They didn't have a pass rush, couldn't stop the run, and couldn't cover. They really, really didn't look good against the sooners.

Didn't look good? No kidding. I'm sure it had nothing to do with their opponent.

CobraKai
12/15/2008, 04:44 PM

I wonder why the NFL guys seem to think Sam is the shiznit then? I also wonder why anyone thinks we will lose in January. I keep hearing how much talent Sam has around him. He just had the single most successful season in the history of the world (at least as the world relates to college fotoball). Does he really have the best collection of offensive players in world history? Also, why didn't Joey Halzle have as much success as Sam when he came into the game (when Sam was injured)?

CobraKai
12/15/2008, 04:52 PM
I'm just excited to play an SEC offense. If there is one thing we learned this season it was that SEC offenses are pathetic. Right?

ClintonSooner
12/15/2008, 10:30 PM
Grossman's doing so-so. I understand your point, and it just emphasizes mine as well on heisman winners.
No, i don't think OU has a 'system' offense per se, just that the OU offense (system of moving the ball down the field), appears to be very effective and D-coordinators don't have it figured out or schemed and i think other qb's in that offense(system) would do well in it. It's a qb's dream.

Tebow... i think with the creative offenses developing around the league(wildcat type), i think these will only become more popular. Tebow is very versatile, and he would fit in something like this nicely.

But expect to lose Sam this year. Guaranteed. He seems like a bright kid, and any idiot knows that he's losing that babysitter o-line and his sticky-hands reciever. With a very, very pissed off texas team to face again, sam will leave. He can only go down, right? Best head out of town while striker's hot.

since when did wildcat become such a creative fromation? you just say that because florida likes to run it often...

ya your right why not leave when we have to play a mad texas team next year? ....never had to do that before:rolleyes: Jesus, give us a break!

gatorCHOMP
12/16/2008, 02:11 AM
since when did wildcat become such a creative fromation? you just say that because florida likes to run it often...

ya your right why not leave when we have to play a mad texas team next year? ....never had to do that before:rolleyes: Jesus, give us a break!

I would say TT is very effective at running it. And is durable enough to do it in the NFL, plus an effective passer. I see it happening.

Texas... yeah, i guess so, lol. Bitter rivalries i can relate to. I guess the espn crew can make a big deal about it and hype it up a bit more.

Crucifax Autumn
12/16/2008, 03:28 AM
Sam should come back for no other reason than to kick their asses.

Nothing I like better than seeing a longhorn muzzled and shut the hell up.