PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Peeps! Sing-A-Long w/George Frideric

Okla-homey
12/14/2008, 09:32 AM
Today at 4pm at First Christian Church downtown. See ya there!

Sing along to 'Messiah' at First Christian Church

By JAMES D. WATTS JR. World Scene Writer

George Frideric Handel wrote several hundred pieces of music, from grand operas to solo sonatas. But the one work by Handel that almost everyone knows is his oratorio "Messiah."

That is something Mark Beckwith, director of music at Tulsa's First Christian Church, is counting on. Beckwith is planning to lead a chorus, soloists, orchestra and members of the public in a sing-along presentation of Handel's "Messiah."

"We're calling it 'Tulsa Sings "Messiah," '" Beckwith said. "Although that's not entirely true, because we're not going to be singing the whole work. We'll be doing the first part, the 'Christmas' section of the piece."

The church will also be using the original Handel orchestration — strings, oboes, trombones, timpani and an organ. "And we'll add the 'Hallelujah' chorus, because you can't do any version of the 'Messiah' without doing that," he said, laughing.

Beckwith said the performance will feature several vocal soloists — sopranos Phena Hackett and Anne Antoinelli, mezzo- soprano Maggie Larkin, tenor Taylor Scott and baritone Chris Nulf — all of whom have ties to First Christian Church. But the majority of the singers will be in the audience.

"I worked as a professional singer in Los Angeles for several years, and events like this were a regular thing during the holiday season," Beckwith said. "I've been to 'Messiah' sing-alongs that had literally thousands of people in the audience.

"Fortunately, this piece is so well known that it's one of those rare choral works that you can put on without having to do a lot of in-depth rehearsals with every singer. That's why we encourage people to bring their scores — and just about every person who's sung the piece still has a score — and sing along."

For those who have misplaced their scores, or never owned one in the first place, copies will be available to use for $2 a copy.

A reception will follow the performance, and child care will be provided, although Beckwith hopes parents will bring their children to the performance.

"An event like this is a great way to introduce young people to this piece," he said, "and to great music in general."

Okla-homey
12/14/2008, 06:55 PM
For the record, it was very nice. Mrs. Homey and I sang tenor. I was dissappointed none of my fellow-SF-Tulsans were there. :O