PDA

View Full Version : Billy Simms.....

Pages : [1] 2

Soonermagik
12/14/2008, 12:14 AM
I didn't care if he did the Boomer thing once or twice, but he just kept at it. I swear the guy did it like 10 times.

Then he said something like sooner or later we will get you. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but he was just embarrassing.:(

sooner cat
12/14/2008, 12:16 AM
didnt embarass me

MissouriSooner
12/14/2008, 12:16 AM
I didn't care if he did the Boomer thing once or twice, but he just kept at it. I swear the guy did it like 10 times.

Agreed, but that had to be the worst ten or fifteen seconds of Colt McCoy's life... Heh.

soonerinkaty
12/14/2008, 12:17 AM
I agree. I started cringing when he was yelling. It's embarrassing enough that he hawked his trophy.

badger
12/14/2008, 12:19 AM
Don't confuse him with Chrissy - just one "m" in Sims.

He's had it rough (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfc/2001-03-07-sims.htm). Maybe yelling "Boomer" like he was still the Heisman winner about to be the number one overall draft pick to the Lions brings back good memories for him.

:( But poor Sam. He looked like he was embarrassed from all the "Boomer! Boomer!" yelling and just responded hoping that would make Billy stop (he didn't, but Sam stopped responding).

I can appreciate Billy's enthusiasm, but there's a time to yell "Boomer" and there's a time to stop. I was happy for Sam, but having Sims go off on a "Boomer" tirade was just sad. :(

walkoffsooner
Just Billy being Billy

Flagstaffsooner
Agreed, but that had to be the worst ten or fifteen seconds of Colt McCoy's life... Heh.Giggle;)

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/14/2008, 12:21 AM
Didn't he do the same thing when Jason White won only Jason replied.

badger
12/14/2008, 12:22 AM
Here's an awful thought: Nobody ever voting for a Sooner again so that Billy won't have another opportunity for that. :(

Curly Bill
12/14/2008, 12:22 AM
Maybe one good BOOMER! ...but it really was a bit much.

...but who am I to say, Billy Sims is a Sooner legend!

Rhino
12/14/2008, 12:23 AM
First of all, it's Billy Sims. Not Simms. And he can do whatever he wants.

If you don't care enough about a Sooner legend to spell his name correctly, you definitely don't have a right to be embarrassed by him.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/14/2008, 12:23 AM
We have come to expect the BOOMER yelling by Billy at the Heisman awards. Doesn't bother or embarrass me at all. I wish the camera was on mack Brown the whole time Billy was yelling.

batonrougesooner
12/14/2008, 12:25 AM
I agree. Incredibly embarrasing. I posted the same last year and got several neg's. That's ok.

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/14/2008, 12:29 AM
I wonder who was first on his ballot??

badger
12/14/2008, 12:33 AM
As much as I love everything that Billy's done for Oklahoma and the university, even knowing that Billy likes to spin towels over his head while saying "Boomer" repeatedly at Heisman-related events (at least that's what he was doing at Steve Owens' statue unveiling) and expecting the inevitable, I was holding out hope that someone pulled him aside beforehand to say "You know, we love your enthusiasm, but just let Sam know that you're planning to do that and maybe you guys plan to do a 'Boomer Sooner' chant after his acceptance speech."

Sam seemed blindsided by this. He's trying to be a humble team-first guy, but while he's being a good sportsman in shaking Tebow's and McCoy's hands and hugging his parents, there's "Boomer! Boomer!" in the background. This was like the Tech fan yelling "Go Raiders!" during television interviews of Sooner players after our "loss." Sad. :(

We love you Billy. We just want you to give these guys their moment, too. :)

Partial Qualifier
12/14/2008, 12:34 AM

If you don't care enough about a Sooner legend to spell his name correctly, you definitely don't have a right to be embarrassed by him.

X2.

After all the ruckus he caused amongst some of us, I re-watched it -- still not embarrassing. Bradford gave him two 'Sooners!' back; I missed that the first time around.

That stuffy auditorium & presentation ceremony needed some antics anyway. :)

aurorasooner
12/14/2008, 12:34 AM
We have come to expect the BOOMER yelling by Billy at the Heisman awards. Doesn't bother or embarrass me at all. I wish the camera was on mack Brown the whole time Billy was yelling. Agree. That's just Billy. Anyone know who followed up Billy's Boomer with Sooner? I thought it was Sammy at 1st.

Soonrboy
12/14/2008, 12:35 AM
Jesus Christ, why don't you guys find something to bitch about.

Partial Qualifier
12/14/2008, 12:39 AM
I bet Brian Bozworth would've yelled 'BOOMER'.

And Josh Huyple. And Mike Gattis.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/14/2008, 12:40 AM
As much as I love everything that Billy's done for Oklahoma and the university, even knowing that Billy likes to spin towels over his head while saying "Boomer" repeatedly at Heisman-related events (at least that's what he was doing at Steve Owens' statue unveiling) and expecting the inevitable, I was holding out hope that someone pulled him aside beforehand to say "You know, we love your enthusiasm, but just let Sam know that you're planning to do that and maybe you guys plan to do a 'Boomer Sooner' chant after his acceptance speech."

Sam seemed blindsided by this. He's trying to be a humble team-first guy, but while he's being a good sportsman in shaking Tebow's and McCoy's hands and hugging his parents, there's "Boomer! Boomer!" in the background. This was like the Tech fan yelling "Go Raiders!" during television interviews of Sooner players after our "loss." Sad. :(

+1

yermom
12/14/2008, 12:41 AM
i was shaking my head

i love it though. i hope he gets to do it ever year :D

redkid
12/14/2008, 12:41 AM
Didnt embarrass me1 bit,,The guy loves OU and he shows it,,I laughed my butt off cause i knew the "BOOMER" was coming and if you didnt then u dont know Billy,or his devotion for the SOONER NATION,,Rock on BILLY

PDXsooner
12/14/2008, 12:43 AM
I came here to start a thread about this, and saw this one already started -- It was classless and embarassing. It gives us a bad name, no question.

soonerboomer93
12/14/2008, 12:49 AM
Not embarassed a bit

the people complaining about it on the other hand...

oumartin
12/14/2008, 12:49 AM

who gives a f*** if they spell it right or not. It's embarrassing to have him repeatedly yell it over and over and over. Its embarrassing to him and to the fine university that he represents. It has obviously embarrassed Sam and Jason. He is taking away from their moment. He needs to see this and shut his damn mouth.

redkid
12/14/2008, 12:56 AM
who gives a f*** if they spell it right or not. It's embarrassing to have him repeatedly yell it over and over and over. Its embarrassing to him and to the fine university that he represents. It has obviously embarrassed Sam and Jason. He is taking away from their moment. He needs to see this and shut his damn mouth.
Hey bro speak for ur self not for Sam, Jason, the University and all the fans,if it embarrassed u fine no problem.

SleestakSooner
12/14/2008, 12:57 AM
I wish Billy would have done the upside down "hook 'em" too, then we'd really have something to bitch about!

oumartin
12/14/2008, 12:59 AM
Hey bro speak for ur self not for Sam, Jason,

go watch the show again and you tell me those kids were not embarrassed.
so yo, I will speak for myself and yoself and however else you wanna put it.

delhalew
12/14/2008, 12:59 AM
You can be embarrassed, but you shouldn't be surprised. As others said, thats Billy being Billy. Sam seemed a little overwhelmed though. I thought it lightened the mood. He took it further than I would've, but I challange you to tell him he can't yell BOOMER!

Curly Bill
12/14/2008, 01:01 AM
I wish Billy would have done the upside down "hook 'em" too, then we'd really have something to bitch about!

:D

okiegirl
12/14/2008, 01:03 AM
I don't post here, just read threads, but I feel this one deserves a reply.

Billy Sims earned his right to yell "Boomer". I was waiting and hoping he would do it. Everyone should know it would happen. I don't see any shame in being spirited or enthusiastic about his "Sooner Pride".

Now if Colt or Tim had won and then he started yelling "Boomer" I would then be a bit embarrassed and would tend to agree with the original post but not the "Simms" part, that's just wrong.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/14/2008, 01:06 AM
Billy is my all-time fav. Any who saw him run would understand.

And... I can't fathom the life and upbringing he had in Hooks, TX. I'm guessing it was a little different than most of us supporters.

Billy is a well-meaning Sooners fanatic and hero walking among us.

...and that's all I have to say about that...

sooner59
12/14/2008, 01:09 AM
I suppose that I am not the only one that expected this. I would have been ok if he did it one or two times, but he just kept on. I love OU and I love Billy, but it was even irritating for me. It would not have been that embarrassing if he did it once or twice, but it was when he just kept on, it became that way. Hopefully he tones it down a little next time. I love his enthusiasm, but I just felt that even Sam probably felt uncomfortable as he kept on. Sam answered twice, but that was mainly to get him to stop. It was obvious that Sam and Jason were both embarrassed by Billy. As much as I like rubbing it in on people who hate us, I hate taking the moment away from Sooner Heisman winners. On the other hand, if you think about it, this is a good problem to have.

SleestakSooner
12/14/2008, 01:11 AM
Sims yellin is nothing compared to flying a banner braggin about a month-old win in a state that your team is not even playing in. Brown doing an interview beggin for votes during the game was real classy too. Gator fan yellin "Gator bait" as Bradford arrived was real classy too.

I like me some Billy Sims, he won the Heisman, he can yell Boomer every year at the ceremony, he's earned that.

OUDizzle
12/14/2008, 01:12 AM
BOO-MAH
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/2263/1229225372324wl2.jpg

ouwasp
12/14/2008, 01:13 AM
I suppose that I am not the only one that expected this. I would have been ok if he did it one or two times, but he just kept on. I love OU and I love Billy, but it was even irritating for me. It would not have been that embarrassing if he did it once or twice, but it was when he just kept on, it became that way. Hopefully he tones it down a little next time. I love his enthusiasm, but I just felt that even Sam probably felt uncomfortable as he kept on. Sam answered twice, but that was mainly to get him to stop. It was obvious that Sam and Jason were both embarrassed by Billy. As much as I like rubbing it in on people who hate us, I hate taking the moment away from Sooner Heisman winners. On the other hand, if you think about it, this is a good problem to have.

well said......

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/14/2008, 01:14 AM
I suppose that I am not the only one that expected this. I would have been ok if he did it one or two times, but he just kept on.

Exactly.

And it did take the moment away from the rightful spotlight, our beloved Slingin' Sammy B.

Desert Sapper
12/14/2008, 01:20 AM
Billy Sims was absolutely awesome every time he touched the football. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

With that in mind, one or two Boomers would have been great, but wouldn't have been Billy.

Jay C. Upchurch
12/14/2008, 01:21 AM
Okiegirl and several other people on this thread got it right ...

Seriously, who cares how many times Billy yelled Boomer? It wasn't embarrassing by any means.... Was it a little over the top? Probably, but that's just his style. Loud and proud to be a Sooner!

It's hard to believe an OU player wins a distinguished award like this and people find something to bitch about.

I'm sure when OU puts a whipping on Florida Jan. 8, it won't be good enough for some people or maybe someone will be "embarrassed" the Sooners put up 60 again.

For heavens sakes, relax. Be happy. Sam Bradford is the 74th Heisman Trophy winner, and Billy Sims just happens to be a legendary Sooner who has earned the right to yell "Boomer" all night long.

Partial Qualifier
12/14/2008, 01:21 AM
This is the most drawn out, awkward, tension-riddled awards presentation in the history of sports, and there isn't a close 2nd. I bet Sam, and Jason, and most of the people in that mausoleum appreciated a little silliness there at the end. Big effin' deal.

I mean... seriously? :rolleyes:

AlbqSooner
12/14/2008, 01:23 AM
Billy Sims had a hard life before OU football. His life since leaving football as a player has not been a bed of roses either. I suspect that OU football and winning the Heisman are the high points in his life. While some are, I suppose understandably, embarrased by his outward display of his pride in being a Sooner, I say God Bless you Billy. You gave me so many moments of pride in OU and OU football. Keep yelling Boomer and sharing your pride in being a Sooner. You earned it.

Funky G
12/14/2008, 01:29 AM
well said......

agreed, but let them have their moment..

FirstandGoal
12/14/2008, 01:30 AM
Anybody who was not expecting what Sims did tonight either hasn't been a fan for very long or was deluding themselves.

Billy is like that crazy relative that we all have you just know is going to do or say something embarrassing at Thanksgiving dinner.

Love him for being family and just accept that he is who he is.

slamdog
12/14/2008, 01:31 AM
Sims yellin is nothing compared to flying a banner braggin about a month-old win in a state that your team is not even playing in. Brown doing an interview beggin for votes during the game was real classy too. Gator fan yellin "Gator bait" as Bradford arrived was real classy too.

I like me some Billy Sims, he won the Heisman, he can yell Boomer every year at the ceremony, he's earned that.

This.

IronSoonerMan
12/14/2008, 01:35 AM
Billy Sims had a hard life before OU football. His life since leaving football as a player has not been a bed of roses either. I suspect that OU football and winning the Heisman are the high points in his life. While some are, I suppose understandably, embarrased by his outward display of his pride in being a Sooner, I say God Bless you Billy. You gave me so many moments of pride in OU and OU football. Keep yelling Boomer and sharing your pride in being a Sooner. You earned it.

+1
He is prOUd of His Sooner past! I am prOUd of Him and Sam!
Sam will hopefully join Him one day and be as enthusiastic as Billy!

Go Sooners!

KC//CRIMSON
12/14/2008, 01:39 AM

X3

Spot on.

sooner59
12/14/2008, 01:42 AM
One thing that I was especially proud of was that all living Sooner Heisman winners were there. You didn't see any USC winners, did you? Jason White and Billy Simms are great people and totally supportive of this program, I have met them both. I applaud Steve Owens for showing up as well. Only 26 of the 55 or whatever winners were there, and we represented well. I hope Sam does the same and doesn't pull a USC and skip it because of the "too cool" effect. Leinart doesn't even play, Palmer is already out of the playoffs, and Bush is hurt....like they have crap better to do. Boomer Sooner! I still love Billy even though it irritated me, but no matter what, I LOVE being a Sooner.

redkid
12/14/2008, 01:43 AM
Right on!!! JAY.C

A Sooner in Texas
12/14/2008, 01:43 AM
Billy was showing his support for a brother Sooner and his newest Heisman trophy brother, an extremely rare breed. His yelling "Boomer" is akin, I think, to Marines yelling "Booya!" to their brothers. Who knows if Sam was embarassed? More likely he was overwhelmed by the entire thing.

I hope Billy gets to yell "Boomer!" for a few more Heisman winners.

Crucifax Autumn
12/14/2008, 01:48 AM
He's Billy Sims, he can yeall Boomer even when some loser from another school wins it. He can DEFINITELY tell them that "Sooner or later we're gonna get you" and for all I care he can pee on herbie's shoe while he bitch slaps Corso and I'll still ony turn a little more red.

Just because so many players forget about their glory years in the greatest sport ever doesn't mean a Sooner great has to. The man inspired people far more than he's ever embarrassed them as far as I'm concerned.

Crucifax Autumn
12/14/2008, 01:50 AM
Billy was showing his support for a brother Sooner and his newest Heisman trophy brother, an extremely rare breed. His yelling "Boomer" is akin, I think, to Marines yelling "Booya!" to their brothers. Who knows if Sam was embarassed? More likely he was overwhelmed by the entire thing.

I'm of the opinion it probably loosened Sam up in a very overwhelming moment. And in the weird event that Billy was embarrassing, which I don't feel, but if he was then that just mades Sam look cool, selfless and together.

oumartin
12/14/2008, 01:55 AM

Seriously, who cares how many times Billy yelled Boomer? It wasn't embarrassing by any means.... Was it a little over the top? Probably, but that's just his style. Loud and proud to be a Sooner!

It's hard to believe an OU player wins a distinguished award like this and people find something to bitch about.

I'm sure when OU puts a whipping on Florida Jan. 8, it won't be good enough for some people or maybe someone will be "embarrassed" the Sooners put up 60 again.

For heavens sakes, relax. Be happy. Sam Bradford is the 74th Heisman Trophy winner, and Billy Sims just happens to be a legendary Sooner who has earned the right to yell "Boomer" all night long.

Yeah, well you still take up for Kelvin.

I was too young to know who Billy Simmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmms was as a player at OU but I loved him when he was a Lion and went back and learned what I could about his playin' days. Plus I eat his overpriced bbq quite a bit. I'm proud he is a Sooner and whatnot but its over the top and I respectfully disagree with those of you with opposing views.

Sooner-by-Marriage
12/14/2008, 02:10 AM
Leinart doesn't even play, Palmer is already out of the playoffs, and Bush is hurt....like they have crap better to do.

And don't forget about O.J. :D

freshchris05
12/14/2008, 02:12 AM
Anybody who was not expecting what Sims did tonight either hasn't been a fan for very long or was deluding themselves.

Billy is like that crazy relative that we all have you just know is going to do or say something embarrassing at Thanksgiving dinner.

Love him for being family and just accept that he is who he is.

Exactly... Billy is my uncle robert... more or less...

olevetonahill
12/14/2008, 02:13 AM

well Said bro
Billy Can Yell Boomer anywhere he wants to anytime he wants to .
If it Embarrassed you then Ya aint a SOONER .
Oh and Grats Sam .

JLEW1818
12/14/2008, 02:25 AM
Exactly, what if Sam would have jumped up and gave Billy a chest bump??? Would that make yall embarrassed ? Heck no

Vaevictis
12/14/2008, 02:34 AM
I was laughing my *** off the whole time.

How can you NOT love a guy who loves the Sooners so much that he's hollerin' his fool head off on national TV?

Is it embarassing? Yeah, and he does it anyway. You think he doesn't know? That's what makes it great. Lighten up folks. It's a sports related event, not a funeral.

Blues1
12/14/2008, 02:38 AM
I was hoping to see a TV shot of Coach Josh H. - Was he there tonight..?

We had 3 Heisman Awards Players there tonight (Jason - Billy - Steve ) All that are Alive - {God Bless Billy Vessels] - Sam made it 4 -- What other University had that many former players there -- Along with Coach Stoops it look like a OU Convention ~~~ :)

Now Lets Rock the U of F -- I'm saying SIX games over 60 plus -
Sooners 66
Florida 38

olevetonahill
12/14/2008, 02:44 AM
I agree. Incredibly embarrasing. I posted the same last year and got several neg's. That's ok.

And you got another Neg this year so you Try to Retaliate:D
Sweet you Hit me fer minus 800 I hit You fer -10K:D :D :D :D
Wanta Keep Trading Negs ?:pop:

nighttrain12
12/14/2008, 02:45 AM
And don't forget about O.J. :D

He had a good excuse not to be there. LOL

I do wonder though if Billy has some 'emotional' problems. There is a certain decorum at these kinds of events and while it might be a bit 'stuffy', Billy should have backed off quickly. You didn't hear Owens or White yelling like that and they are just as big of supporters of the university.

olevetonahill
12/14/2008, 02:45 AM
If any one is ashamed Of Billy It must succs to be you :mad:

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/14/2008, 02:48 AM
i'm saying SIX games over 60 plus -

Me too, and no one believes me. Yet I'm keeping the OU FAITH! BOOMER SOONER!

Crucifax Autumn
12/14/2008, 02:49 AM
There's a reason you're one of the, if not the, most repected poster here.

Blues1
12/14/2008, 02:51 AM
Me too, and no one believes me. Yet I'm keeping the OU FAITH! BOOMER SOONER!

You are My Kind of Woman ~~~~ Are you Married ? ~~~~ :)

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/14/2008, 02:55 AM
You are My Kind of Woman ~~~~ Are you Married ? ~~~~ :)

Yeah, but I think that's going to be changing soon. :)

nighttrain12
12/14/2008, 03:00 AM
Here's Billy Sims 'wikipedia page':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Sims

Crucifax Autumn
12/14/2008, 03:01 AM
Is he a gator or something? lol

Blues1
12/14/2008, 03:02 AM
Yeah, but I think that's going to be changing soon. :)

Come See My Band down At Patricks II in the Gas Lamp on December 28 & the 29th (Next door to Hard Rock Cafe on F street) All those poke fans will be in town and I will need some moral Support ~~~` :)

www.Bluescowboy.com

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/14/2008, 03:12 AM
Come See My Band down At Patricks II in the Gas Lamp on December 28 & the 29th (Next door to Hard Rock Cafe on F street) All those poke fans will be in town and I will some need some moral Support ~~~` :)

www.Bluescowboy.com

I'll do my best. Check your PMs.:)

Fraggle145
12/14/2008, 03:22 AM
Just Billy being Billy

Exactly. He doesnt need to change a thing he's excited to have another of his sooner brethren in the fold. He's done more than any of us have for the program... As far as i'm concerned he can yell it loud an proud as many times as he wants!

sooner59
12/14/2008, 03:22 AM
Here's Billy Sims 'wikipedia page':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Sims

I know Wikipedia is whatever people make it, but "Davis"? I am from Davis and I have not heard of a Billy Sims BBQ going in there. If its true, im sure it will do really well. But this is news to me.

Fraggle145
12/14/2008, 03:28 AM

I think he is giving them their moment by letting them know how much it means to him. Sam said Sooner twice. He's excited and thats what made him the player he was/is... He's earned the right to be excited.

This Billy Sims is an embarrassment stuff makes me want to throw up.

sooner59
12/14/2008, 03:42 AM
I think he is giving them their moment by letting them know how much it means to him. Sam said Sooner twice. He's excited and thats what made him the player he was/is... He's earned the right to be excited.

This Billy Sims is an embarrassment stuff makes me want to throw up.

I love Billy Sims as much as anyone, but I have to respectfully disagree. The Sooner in me wanted to love it, but it just felt tacky to me. I love him as a person (as I have met him) and I love him as a player and former Heisman winner. But this only happens when an OU player wins, and its always the same person. Apparently there are enough people who feel differently here, and that is completely ok, supporting our own is justifiable. Just because we felt embarrassed doesn't mean we don't love him or OU. We just wish he would cool it after one or two "boomers" and respect the recipient and their day in the spotlight, thats it. This year was better because with every "boomer" Texas fans felt worse, though. Therefore, I feel a little better about it. Colt McCoy had nothing to be ashamed of, though, he played great all season.

Fraggle145
12/14/2008, 03:52 AM
I love Billy Sims as much as anyone, but I have to respectfully disagree. The Sooner in me wanted to love it, but it just felt tacky to me. I love him as a person (as I have met him) and I love him as a player and former Heisman winner. But this only happens when an OU player wins, and its always the same person. Apparently there are enough people who feel differently here, and that is completely ok, supporting our own is justifiable. Just because we felt embarrassed doesn't mean we don't love him or OU. We just wish he would cool it after one or two "boomers" and respect the recipient and their day in the spotlight, thats it. This year was better because with every "boomer" Texas fans felt worse, though. Therefore, I feel a little better about it. Colt McCoy had nothing to be ashamed of, though, he played great all season.

As a player when was billy ever "cool." That's not his style. That's one of the things that makes it so wonderful, because Sam is so "cool" yet still SOONERed back twice. I think that people that are embarrassed need to sit back and see how big of a deal this is and that whatever Billy does cant take from it and can only enhance it. Much like your example of rubbing it in to texass fans.

Wishboned
12/14/2008, 04:16 AM

For me that's the key phrase.

It only happens when a Sooner wins. If he was doing it when players from other teams won, then I'd be embarrassed.

Billy was the last Sooner Heisman winner for what, 25 years? Now we've had two winners in the last 5 years. Let the man show some excitement welcoming more Sooner brethren to the Heisman fraternity.

BOOMER!!!!!!

OUstud
12/14/2008, 04:18 AM
It was just that he kept doing it. Once, maybe twice would have been fine, but you could hear him off camera yelling it over and over immediately after Sam won, then finally to try and pacify him he responded--twice. But he kept going. Kind of the Heisman version of TIMMY! or something.

Wishboned
12/14/2008, 04:19 AM

I can guarantee you if it had been a Ranger up there somebody woulda been Hooah!'n their *** off.

batonrougesooner
12/14/2008, 04:21 AM
For me that's the key phrase.

It only happens when a Sooner wins. If he was doing it when players from other teams won, then I'd be embarrassed.

Billy was the last Sooner Heisman winner for what, 25 years? Now we've had two winners in the last 5 years. Let the man show some excitement welcoming more Sooner brethren to the Heisman fraternity.

BOOMER!!!!!!

He did it during last year's Heisman presentation as well.

WA. Sooner
12/14/2008, 05:44 AM
Hell I was doing it at my house. Big Deal!

King Crimson
12/14/2008, 06:12 AM
Billy Sims.

TheNadBomber
12/14/2008, 08:02 AM
I think we are all getting a little to sensitive. I kind of knew it would happen if Sam won, so I was cringeing at the thought. But, I watched the ceremony with my much wiser and older Mother-in-Law who is a transplanted Ohio Stater and see just laughed about it. Unless you're from UTerus or Stoolwater, it was no big thing. Frankly, unless I'm at a game, I feel akward doing the BOOMER! SOONER! thing, but you know, its OUr thing! For better or worse it is OUr warcry. And as Billy is a veteran, he has as much right as anyone to use it as he sees fit. And if Mack or the ESPiN guys thought it was classless, then he accomplished something good in my book!

So, back at you Billy... SOONER!!

UberSooner
12/14/2008, 08:18 AM
We are Sooners. We play Boomer Sooner 100 times a game at home and on the road. We drive a freakin wagon onto the field everytime we score. We shoot off crazy shotgun canons at the start of everygame. And Bob Barry is our color announcer for radio play. Billy's "Boomer" mantra once in a blue moon when we take a Heisman is small potatos. This is Oklahoma Football.

dhal22
12/14/2008, 08:31 AM
i agree.

david

MojoRisen
12/14/2008, 08:51 AM
We have come to expect the BOOMER yelling by Billy at the Heisman awards. Doesn't bother or embarrass me at all. I wish the camera was on mack Brown the whole time Billy was yelling.

Exactly, I call Sims Charismatic not embarrassing! We all knew he would be yelling boomer if an OU kid won the trophy!

It was funney, Sam finally yelled back Sooner like "come on man we can't do that hear" I have to yell sooner!

Colt Mccoy - looked very slighted- like he wanted to suit up..

sendbaht
12/14/2008, 09:00 AM
I was a little disapointed that he yelled in only 6 times, next year he better yell it 10 times with Sam wins it again.

mustangsooner
12/14/2008, 09:21 AM

Marines don't yell Booya we yell ohh rah. I just don't know were fans get of telling everyone do this don't do that. Who the hell are we to tell Billy he can't yell BOOMER. Who the hell are we to tell another fan to not show upside down whorns. I think some fans on here are a little high strung and worry to much about what other fan bases think. Me for one don't give a damn.

olevetonahill
12/14/2008, 09:22 AM
I was a little disapointed that he yelled in only 6 times, next year he better yell it 10 times with Sam wins it again.

I counted 12 :D :cool:

olevetonahill
12/14/2008, 09:24 AM
Marines don't yell Booya we yell ohh rah. I just don't know were fans get of telling everyone do this don't do that. Who the hell are we to tell Billy he can't yell BOOMER. Who the hell are we to tell another fan to not show upside down whorns. I think some fans on here are a little high strung and worry to much about what other fan bases think. Me for one don't give a damn.

I think they are the same ones that Bitch about us Standing at the games .:eek:

mustangsooner
12/14/2008, 09:29 AM
I think they are the same ones that Bitch about us Standing at the games .:eek:

I am sure they are the very same ones. I did think it was funny as hell though when Billy yelled Boomer the first time Chris Fowler said I knew that was coming.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/14/2008, 09:49 AM
I agree with much of what was said here, Billy call yell Boomer anywhere he wants, its great to have some one excited about their school. I do think it went on a bit long...

That said, the Heisman IMO lost a lot of its luster when they went to this stupid TV announcement format. The way they sell a fan vote and the fact that there is open campaigning for the trophy by some schools/people has cheapened the award - IMO. If they are going to sell adds to Nissan or whoever, Billy gets to yell Boomer if he wants. The false pretentiousness is stupid. Just announce the winner.

SWFloridaSooner
12/14/2008, 09:59 AM
You know, my initial reaction was one of embarrassment. Thoughts like, they will be calling us backwards and uneducated again were running through my mind and then I realized, this is Billy Sims. He may not come off as the most educated, intelligent person you have ever met, but he is a Sooner Legend and has earned his right to support the school that gave him his chance in any way he sees fit. I thought Sam handled it with grace and dignity as well as respect for Billy. He gave him a couple of "Sooner"s and he went on and gave a speech any one of us could be proud of. He is so well spoken and courteous and humble. How could you not be proud of that? I'm sure Sam's dad understood Billy's need to cry Boomer. Do I wish Billy would wear a nice suit and tie and stand with his hands folded neatly in front of him, probably, but do I respect the fact that he earned his right to support the Sooners in his own way? Definately. But shouldn't we focus on what we have to be proud of? Our Sammy WON. He was gracious and humble. Lets be happy with that. I mean, who DIDN'T know the battle cry was coming from Billy?

meoveryouxinfinity
12/14/2008, 10:16 AM
"BOOMER" was not embarrassing. Nobody yelling back "SOONER" was.

SOOOONER, billy!!!!!

badger
12/14/2008, 10:25 AM
Yesterday's news. Moving right along to this...
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09ch2SE8MD12E/610x.jpg

BOOMER! BOOMER! BOOMER! BOOMER! BOOMER! BOOMER!

SoonerLB
12/14/2008, 10:37 AM
I've had the great pleasure of seeing Steve Owens, Billy, and every great Sooner player that has played in the last 50 years, and as far as I'm concerned, Billy can do what ever he wants! He earned that right by being one of the most electrifying football players ever, and each and every one of us should be proud that he was, and is, a Sooner!

Congrats to Sam is what is in order, and after that we all need to focus our attention on the upcoming bowl game and the support of this great Sooner team! Here's to the complete and utter destruction of the Florida Gators .....

BOOMER

BigBoomerInBigD
12/14/2008, 10:47 AM
I love you, Billy Sims! :)

CONGRATULATIONS SAM!!!!!

SOOOOONNEERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlbqSooner
12/14/2008, 10:48 AM
Yesterday's news. Moving right along to this...
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09ch2SE8MD12E/610x.jpg

BOOMER! BOOMER! BOOMER! BOOMER! BOOMER! BOOMER!

[B]SOONER!SOONER!SOONER!SOONER!SOONER!SOONER!
[B] Bring on da crystal.

Lott's Bandana
12/14/2008, 11:04 AM
I want to point out to the "youngsters" that many of us grew up with the Bootlegger's Boy being the most prominent and frankly, "cartoonish" character in our entire state. Brash, funny, often over-the-top (still is), we loved and still love The King for all his enthusiasm for his beloved Sooners.

Billy shares the same honest, no-nonsense love of life as his great friend and mentor who likely was the most influential person in his life, and someone that shared the same difficult and challenging upbringing.

After starting in such a deep valley and then making it to the top of the mountain, I find that "I don't give a ****" personality absolutely refreshing and you're damn sure I give Billy "Boomer!"s when I see him around town...dude lights up like a supernova when he hears 'em.

FirstandGoal
12/14/2008, 12:05 PM
So does anybody have a clip of this yet?

I was at my work Christmas party when the whole thing went down and we stopped long enough to turn the TV on and see Sam get the Heisman, but there were about 20 people around me all talking so I really didn't get to hear much of Billy's Boomering or Sam's speech.

You would think that I'd have been smart enough to dvr the show before I left for the party, but.... not so much :O

meoveryouxinfinity
12/14/2008, 12:14 PM
So does anybody have a clip of this yet?

I was at my work Christmas party when the whole thing went down and we stopped long enough to turn the TV on and see Sam get the Heisman, but there were about 20 people around me all talking so I really didn't get to hear much of Billy's Boomering or Sam's speech.

You would think that I'd have been smart enough to dvr the show before I left for the party, but.... not so much :O

sticky'd.

ouleaf
12/14/2008, 12:43 PM
Not only is Billy Sims one of the all time great OU players, but he is one of the all time great college football players in history, [lain and simple. He is a true OU fan that isn't embarrassed to express his loyalty to and love for all things OU. Let him yell Boomer as many times as he wants to. He's earned it.

I'm more disappointed by the fact that there were no "SOONER" responses other than Sam's two. Jason White, Steve Owens, Stoops, Stoops' wife, and Sam's parents were at least there. I'm sure there were others on the OU staff and at least a handful of other OU fans in attendance, that could have put together at least a few good "SOONERS" for Billy. So don't come down on Billy for having some Pride.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/14/2008, 12:50 PM
Caesar's Palace sports book, 2002 (if memory serves)

In route to making Texass our beyonce and in route to yet another beer in my gizzard, I stand up from the bar, shoot a solitary finger into the air, and shout at the top of my lungs...

BOOOOOOOMER!

A weak 4-5 voices respond in kind.

SOOOONER!

I take another long draw from my longneck as heathens in burnt orange, which I'm nearly surrounded by, turn their baleful eyes upon me. I smile in defiance, raise my extended finger higher, and shout...

BOOOOOOMER!

The response grows louder. Exponentially louder. One texass fan even winces as my brows furrow in devilish pleasure. My OWN set of horns, the ones that hold up my halo, begin to shine a brilliant crimson. As the exchange goes back and forth, growing to an almost earshattering pitch, almost every member in Caesar's Palace's sports book is either growling in opposition or taken upon the wave of Sooner pride. It was a sight to behold.

Ron's Hamburgers, Sand Springs, Oklahoma. 12/13/2008. The closed caption ticks off misspellings like automatic weaponsfire as I hover anxiously over my grilled chicken salad. The delay in the typed announcement on the screen is pointless, for as Sam Bradford stands up and begins his humble walk to the stage, a muscle twitches, an involuntary response fires deep in my cerebellum as my right hand shoots upward, index finger extended, even as my mouth opens to extend an inappropriately loud...

BOOOOMER!

Saturday, in the fall. 42,000 plus people stand opposite of 42,000 others, standing proud and tall in the land where the wind comes sweeping down the plain. 42,000 knot their faces in an effort to garner every decibel their voices can muster...

BOOOOOOOMER!

42,000 more respond in kind, as brethren, as a monster that has grown to exist on every mountain and shore on the planet. The world reverberates as they explode in a cacophany of heartfelt pride.

SOOOOOOONER!

In airports, in sports bars, in arenas, and even in the heart of war, you'll hear this cry. It is the heart and soul of what we are. What we represent. What we love. Whether it's Billy Sims in New York City or Billy John Doe in Los Angeles, it is Oklahoma. It is me, it is you, it is everyone whose blood runs crimson and whose bones shine cream.

Good job, Billy. Way to represent. I hope you heard our explosive response from thousands of miles away.

leavingthezoo
12/14/2008, 12:52 PM
Someday, Billy will be gone and there will be no one with as much unbridled passion for OU to lead the chant. It will just feel wrong. I, for one, will miss it.

P.S. I've heard BOOMER called out in a hospital in Arizona, leaving a professional hockey game, in an airport unrelated to any OU sporting event and numerous other places where it wouldn't seem "appropriate". Without fail, it has been greeted with an equally excited SOONER! Every time, it has made me smile.

So BOOMER, Billy!

And SOONER, Sam!

RiddlerOK
12/14/2008, 12:58 PM
Works for me..... I enjoyed it to the hilt!

Stoops=God
12/14/2008, 01:01 PM
One thing that I was especially proud of was that all living Sooner Heisman winners were there. You didn't see any USC winners, did you? Jason White and Billy Simms are great people and totally supportive of this program, I have met them both. I applaud Steve Owens for showing up as well. Only 26 of the 55 or whatever winners were there, and we represented well. I hope Sam does the same and doesn't pull a USC and skip it because of the "too cool" effect. Leinart doesn't even play, Palmer is already out of the playoffs, and Bush is hurt....like they have crap better to do. Boomer Sooner! I still love Billy even though it irritated me, but no matter what, I LOVE being a Sooner.

Easy killer....Bush, Palmer, Leinart are the NFL....Not saying they couldn't make it, but I'm sure their teams expect them to travel if they are on the road...And Marcus Allen WAS there...just sayin dude...

mfosterftw
12/14/2008, 01:49 PM
Charles White was there too, standing next to Billy.

If the Heisman folks were so worried about decorum, why didn't they do anything about the kid sitting on the right side about 5-10 rows back wearing what appeared to be a NY (football) Giants ballcap?

Billy was just being Billy, God bless him. Let the worrying of what the rest of the country thinks of us burden David Boren whenever he decides to update his halftime promotional video.

85sooners
12/14/2008, 02:07 PM
:eek: :gary: :eek: :eek: sounds like a bunch of whinning texas fans in here, booomer,boooomer,boooomer,booooomer,boooomer!!!!!! !!!!! f all of yall that are ashamed of billy!!!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2008, 02:10 PM
sounds like a bunch of whinning texas fans in here, booomer,boooomer,boooomer,booooomer,boooomer!!!!!! !!!!! f all of yall that are that are ashamed of billy!!!!!

wow...your longest post ever:D

A Sooner in Texas
12/14/2008, 02:15 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/photos/2001-03-07-inside-sims.jpg

Right on, bro.

BOOMER!

setem
12/14/2008, 02:28 PM
I do not think it is embarrassing at all. It was very inappropriate though. If he had done it after Sam gave his acceptance speech then then it would have been just fine. There is a time and place for everything and it seemed like Billy couldn't let go of the lime light at JW's or SB's ceremonies.

I agree that Sims deserves all the respect in the world because he is a great sooner. But he was not very respectful at all when it comes to his Boomer antics. You guys who are de-sooner-ising folks for thinking Billy Sims was not right you guys need to rethink your manners. Because it is just plain rude for him to act like that.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/14/2008, 02:38 PM
Im all about the Boomers and Sooners. But if I did them mercilessly sports bar, when no one is responding...its obnoxious.
Billy's display was kinda funny the first time....but when he did it 12 times and sounded like my next door neighbors yappy dogs, I stared to get a bit uptight.

And while I haven't seen a statement from Sammy on Billy's behavior, you cant tell me that our Cool QB wasn't CRINGING at that display.

I'm very proud of Sims' accomplishments..and to have him as a still dedicated Sooner....but for crap sakes somebody show him the video of last night so he has some self awareness.

I hope next year when Sammy becomes the 2nd two time winner Billy will give us more Boomers...just a tiny bit toned down.

Soonrboy
12/14/2008, 02:43 PM
I hope he rips off his coat and tie, revealing a jersey underneath and starts singing Boomer Sooner, or learns how to play it on the trumpet and blares it out loud!

okiewaker
12/14/2008, 03:20 PM
Easy killer....Bush, Palmer, Leinart are the NFL....Not saying they couldn't make it, but I'm sure their teams expect them to travel if they are on the road...And Marcus Allen WAS there...just sayin dude...

Yeah, and the 1968 winner couldn't be there due to his cubicle being made of three cement walls and iron bars.:D

Soonermagik
12/14/2008, 03:20 PM
Okay, I misspelled his name, but I was drinking a little last night.

However, many on here have gotten away from my original topic. I didn't care if he did a few boomers, but he just kept on... and on....

I think Billy is a great guy, but he's just a bit over the top. Just because I thought he was too much doesn't make me less of an OU fan. I knew the supporters would come out in droves after I made this comment. Oh well.... I'm just keeping it real.

MyT Oklahoma
12/14/2008, 03:29 PM
I respect each and every other Sooner fan's opinions, which is why I mainly read here instead of post. I'm glad that we're all Sooners and may all of us "Boomer" and "Sooner" our a$$es off come January 8th.

P.S. Congratulations Sam! Proud of you.

P.S.S. Thank God I got to see Billy play in person the first time I finally made it to the Snake Pit way back in 1978.

OKLA21FAN
12/14/2008, 03:38 PM
next thing you know, is some will complain about yelling 'SOONERS' at the end of the national anthem! oh snap, they already do! :gary:

just enjoy the moment(s) I did!

redhawk49
12/14/2008, 03:42 PM
I just wonder if some of my fellow SOONER fans were embarassed by this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwi3hoYRAPE

Viking Kitten
12/14/2008, 03:51 PM
Wow. After reading the entire thread, I have to say I find it a lot more awkward and embarrassing when chicks go cocktrolling on a message board than when one of our Sooner legends shows glorious, unrestrained pride in his team. Call me crazy, I guess.

Stitch Face
12/14/2008, 03:58 PM
I think someone just got called out.

soonersam
12/14/2008, 04:00 PM
didnt embarass me

ARE YOU HUMAN?????

Soonerus
12/14/2008, 04:02 PM
not embarrased...

A Sooner in Texas
12/14/2008, 04:14 PM
I just wonder if some of my fellow SOONER fans were embarassed by this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwi3hoYRAPE

Great vid with a great song! Thanks for posting it.

I'm not at all embarassed by Billy's Sooner love...I'm more embarassed that Sooner fans would call out one of the true Sooner legends for showing that love. Let the whorns and sheephumpers bitch about it on their boards. I'm proud of Sam, proud of Billy, proud of all our FIVE Heisman winners!

Funky G
12/14/2008, 04:15 PM
out of line, took away from the ceremony, classless. No question and no excuse.

Stitch Face
12/14/2008, 04:18 PM
out of line, took away from the ceremony, classless. No question and no excuse.

Running up the score and now this. We are really getting to be Classless U.

badger
12/14/2008, 04:23 PM
I was kind of sad about it last night, but no longer care. Possibly because I have a big stiffy arm statue to cloud my memory and dreams of a crystal football to cloud my mind.

While I would like Sims to wait to yell "Boomer" until after the next Heisman winner is done hugging and giving speeches, I would much rather he have a chance to give us a head shaking moment than for us to never win the Heisman again. :)

IronSoonerMan
12/14/2008, 05:20 PM
Great vid with a great song! Thanks for posting it.

I'm not at all embarassed by Billy's Sooner love...I'm more embarassed that Sooner fans would call out one of the true Sooner legends for showing that love. Let the whorns and sheephumpers bitch about it on their boards. I'm proud of Sam, proud of Billy, proud of all our FIVE Heisman winners!

Badass video!
Great post!

BUMP

Go Sooners!

MojoRisen
12/14/2008, 05:27 PM
I was talking too some dudes in Texas and we were laughing and discussing the Billy S Boomer thing, anyone who calls Billy Sims classless is exactly the type of fan that would yell at you to sit down after a big play or before one starts.

Billy Sims can yell boomer anytime he wants too and in fact I like it... especially coming from him! He has that swagger - of the switzer era.

We all knew he was going to do it - this isn't a beauty pagent or something.

Iam4OUru
12/14/2008, 05:31 PM
I can appreciate Billy's enthusiasm, but there's a time to yell "Boomer" and there's a time to stop. (

And now's the time.............

BOOMER

redhawk49
12/14/2008, 05:34 PM
SOONER!

OUAlumni1990
12/14/2008, 05:34 PM
That was kinda embarrassing :O

IronSoonerMan
12/14/2008, 05:35 PM
And now's the time.............

BOOMER

SOONER!

Remembering Tom Stidham
12/14/2008, 05:44 PM
Billy is financially bankrupt. Did not take care of his money. This is his one night to shine each year.

StoopTroup
12/14/2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah, well you still take up for Kelvin.

I was too young to know who Billy Simmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmms was as a player at OU but I loved him when he was a Lion and went back and learned what I could about his playin' days. Plus I eat his overpriced bbq quite a bit. I'm proud he is a Sooner and whatnot but its over the top and I respectfully disagree with those of you with opposing views.

I wish I could be there when any one of you who thinks Billy is an embarrassment...could tell him to his face.

Sorry...but you folks are dead wrong about Billy. And. That's not my opinion...it's a fact.

Your the embarrassment IMO.

JLEW1818
12/14/2008, 06:05 PM
Why are people bitching about something that didn't EVEN HAPPEN ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. .... horns

badger
12/14/2008, 06:12 PM
I wish I could be there when any one of you who thinks Billy is an embarrassment...could tell him to his face.

Sorry...but you folks are dead wrong about Billy. And. That's not my opinion...it's a fact.

Your the embarrassment IMO.

Point of information...

Last night, when I was moderately bothered by his untimely "Boomers," I did not say that Billy Sims was an embarrassment. I said he was a great person and had a lot of enthusiasm and that I was sad that he had not chosen more appropriate ways to show his support of Sam. I also expressed that it might have been more appropriate to yell after Sam's acceptance speech and not while he's consolidating the losers and hugging his teary mom.

No, Billy Sims is not an embarrassment for yelling Boomer, nor is he an embarrassment for selling his Heisman and neglecting to pay child support. Rather, it is just sad and you feel bad for his situation, which if I understand correctly, leads me to believe that this Heisman annual event is the high-point of his year. Thinking that someone that was so successful on the field in both pro and collegiate levels but on top of that, seems to genuinely care about his fans and his family and his friends and is a good person... for him to only the Heisman ceremony left to be jubilant and feel propelled to yell "Boomer" about... well, that's not embarrassing. That's just sad. :(

We love Billy... no question. It's just... nevermind. I want to move on to the championship now.

MojoRisen
12/14/2008, 06:23 PM
I want Billy to HIGH STEP US ONTO THE FIELD!

soonerboy
12/14/2008, 06:37 PM

He said "those sooner legends...we'll get ya"

MojoRisen
12/14/2008, 07:02 PM
I bet switzer was as happy as a pig eating shiate...

Groundhog
12/14/2008, 07:21 PM
I'm a Buff and thought it was a little over the top. I'll tell you this though, Billy Sims still rates as the most dominant RB I've ever seen.

StoopTroup
12/14/2008, 07:25 PM
We love Billy... no question. It's just... nevermind. I want to move on to the championship now.

Badger...

I know what you mean but I've seen folks from other Schools bagging on Billy about his past personal problems....what those have to do with anything...I just don't know. If folks are going to bring stuff up like that....let's just call the Heisman "The O.J. Simpson Memorial Trophy". Every time I look at Steve Owens name above O.J.'s, I am prOUd to know that the next winner in 1969 wasn't like what was produced from suc. There's your embarrassment, your disgusting disappointment....what ever you want to call it. Billy has turned his life around and I've been prOUd to shake his hand and talk about OU Football every time I've had the chance to do so. Billy even came out to our Red Cross Blood Drive at my work once...provided free BBQ for donors and signed everything we asked him to sign. For every wrong he may have done in his life...He's been able to right them many more times.

If he want's to scream Boomer a million times next year when Sam wins it again....Billy has earned it IMO.

I don't really give a rat's a$$ if someone felt Billy was even out of line. He has plenty of fellow Trophy Winners up there to reel him in. We have 5 guys from OUr University who are up there as permanent pieces of History...It's purely Greatness IMO. When Billy leaves this World someday....he's going to be remembered for how proud he was of the others who came after him at OU. Since Billy Vessels passing...Billy is the Senior Winner from OU. He deserves to say and do anything he wants.

Lott's Bandana
12/14/2008, 07:30 PM
Badger...
Since Billy Vessels passing...Billy is the Senior Winner from OU. He deserves to say and do anything he wants.

Well played post Sierra Tango, however the last line would never be quoted by #36...not for a while, I hope.:P

Ace
12/14/2008, 07:50 PM
At first, I thought great...some drunk Sooner was in the audience.

Love ya Billy, but damn dude.

TMcGee86
12/14/2008, 09:42 PM
This is the most drawn out, awkward, tension-riddled awards presentation in the history of sports, and there isn't a close 2nd.

Totally totally agree. It's seriously the most poorly produced presentation in the history of TV.

It's as though everyone thought it was supposed to be a five min segment but right before it goes on air they say "oh, by the way, now we have to fill a full hour."

Not only that but they can't seem to decide what they want it to be.

Is it supposed to be somber and subdued? classy and dignified? Intense? Intimate? They have no idea. And it shows.

It feels like a funeral held in a library.

By far the worst thing ESPN has gotten it's hands on, and that's saying a LOT.

soonerborn45
12/14/2008, 09:48 PM
Ok, first of all if anybody has ever been around Billy Sims, you know the dude is just a die hard fan who likes the attention. There is nothing wrong with that. Second of all, its not like Billy was just yelling during the whole thing. When Sam's name was announced Billy yelled all because he was excited to have another heisman brother from OU. How could any of you know how Sam felt when Billy was yelling. Sam might of loved it. So everybody needs to quit complaining about what a legend can or can't do.

bonkuba
12/14/2008, 10:40 PM
I think it is absolutely GREAT that Billy did this and shows that you can still have fun around a bunch of "stiffs"...not the players.....the other folks.

Seriously, I thought it was great that he and Sam shared a couple of Boomer Sooner moments as Sam was walking up on the stage. Having Sam yell Sooner back to him was priceless.

Billy may have had some problems in his personal life (who hasn't)....but I love his enthusiasm and love for anything and everything OU. I met him the day before the Big 12 Championship game (forgot the name of the sports bar).....he signed a ball for me and I asked him if he was going to yell a few "Boomers" for us......his answer was "You know I will be man......Sammy will bring it home!!!".

For those of you bagging on him for yelling Boomer.....rather than me telling you to F*** off.......I will just say grow up and have some fun......geeeeeeeeeeesh :D

And by the way for the haters........

BOOOOOOOOOOOMER!!!!!!

bringit
12/14/2008, 10:52 PM
At first, I thought great...some drunk Sooner was in the audience.

Love ya Billy, but damn dude.

agreed. A little Billy goes a long way.

Sooner04
12/14/2008, 10:59 PM
I was too young to know who Billy Sims was as a player at OU but I loved him when he was a Lion and went back and learned what I could about his playin' days.
In a nutshell, Billy Sims was Adrian Peterson only faster.

Possibly better.

yermom
12/14/2008, 11:01 PM
i hope i'm this embarrassed to be a Sooner every season

OKLA21FAN
12/14/2008, 11:05 PM

best post evar!

OKC-SLC
12/14/2008, 11:20 PM

Word.

OKC-SLC
12/14/2008, 11:22 PM
We are Sooners. We play Boomer Sooner 100 times a game at home and on the road. We drive a freakin wagon onto the field everytime we score. We shoot off crazy shotgun canons at the start of everygame. And Bob Barry is our color announcer for radio play. Billy's "Boomer" mantra once in a blue moon when we take a Heisman is small potatos. This is Oklahoma Football.

My favorite post in this thread.

OKC-SLC
12/14/2008, 11:23 PM
Wow. After reading the entire thread, I have to say I find it a lot more awkward and embarrassing when chicks go cocktrolling on a message board than when one of our Sooner legends shows glorious, unrestrained pride in his team. Call me crazy, I guess.

No, THIS is my favorite post of this thread.

RoaminSooner
12/14/2008, 11:32 PM
I think he was trying to get his 2 seconds in the lime light

dog-knee
12/14/2008, 11:36 PM
Badger...

When Billy leaves this World someday....he's going to be remembered for how proud he was of the others who came after him at OU. Since Billy Vessels passing...Billy is the Senior Winner from OU. He deserves to say and do anything he wants.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, lets make sure we don't forget my favorite Sooner of all time, Mr. Steve Owens (Heisman 1969). I'm pretty sure he's the senior Heisman Sooner, and a little more to my liking as a model for behavior while attending the award ceremony.

Curly Bill
12/14/2008, 11:45 PM
Badger...

I know what you mean but I've seen folks from other Schools bagging on Billy about his past personal problems....what those have to do with anything...I just don't know. If folks are going to bring stuff up like that....let's just call the Heisman "The O.J. Simpson Memorial Trophy". Every time I look at Steve Owens name above O.J.'s, I am prOUd to know that the next winner in 1969 wasn't like what was produced from suc. There's your embarrassment, your disgusting disappointment....what ever you want to call it. Billy has turned his life around and I've been prOUd to shake his hand and talk about OU Football every time I've had the chance to do so. Billy even came out to our Red Cross Blood Drive at my work once...provided free BBQ for donors and signed everything we asked him to sign. For every wrong he may have done in his life...He's been able to right them many more times.

If he want's to scream Boomer a million times next year when Sam wins it again....Billy has earned it IMO.

I don't really give a rat's a$$ if someone felt Billy was even out of line. He has plenty of fellow Trophy Winners up there to reel him in. We have 5 guys from OUr University who are up there as permanent pieces of History...It's purely Greatness IMO. When Billy leaves this World someday....he's going to be remembered for how proud he was of the others who came after him at OU. Since Billy Vessels passing...Billy is the Senior Winner from OU. He deserves to say and do anything he wants.

Good post ST. SPEK

Soonermagik
12/14/2008, 11:48 PM
Some of you need to take off the blinders. If a prior heisman winner from Texas or Florida had done that over and over 99% of you would be all over that. Seriously, if anyone criticizes a prior sooner for any reason it's like someone pinched their wife's arse.

I get it, Billy loves OU, but I still think it was over the top.

Curly Bill
12/14/2008, 11:51 PM
...and we get that you think it was an embarrassment.

Soonermagik
12/14/2008, 11:55 PM
...and we get that you think it was an embarrassment.

Shocking isn't it? ;)

soonervegas
12/14/2008, 11:56 PM
It was an embarrassment any way you cut it.

Now let me bathe in a red spek shower.

Soonermagik
12/14/2008, 11:58 PM
It was an embarrassment any way you cut it.

Now let me bathe in a red spek shower.

Ask and ye shall receive. :D

A Sooner in Texas
12/14/2008, 11:58 PM
Damn straight we'd be all over whorns or gators cheering on their own if, god forbid, Tebow or Colt had won. But the whorns ARE all over Billy and here we have SOONERS piling on one of our own. THAT is what embarasses me!

nighttrain12
12/15/2008, 12:59 AM
I think people are overreacting to others criticizing Billy. We shouldn't be afraid to criticize one of our own if he gets a little out of line. Billy just acted like he was a little tipsy, only without the alcohol. :-)

nighttrain12
12/15/2008, 01:01 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but the original subject line still says 'Simms'. Perhaps it takes a mod to actually edit the subject line.

soonerhillbilly
12/15/2008, 08:02 AM
Skipped that last 3 pages. This post should just die. I don't post much. But, OK he may have went a little overboard, but I LOVED it! It shows some Great Spirit! No one should be embarrassed by that. I don't care where I am at, when I see someone wearing OU, I yell BOOMER! BOOMER SOONER!!!

GrapevineSooner
12/15/2008, 10:40 AM
I'd rather he not have done that. But it doesn't really matter what I think.

If the DAC wants to keep inviting him to forthcoming ceremonies, that's their right.

It was Sam's moment. And if Sam didn't have a problem with it, then none of us should either.

Knippz
12/15/2008, 10:57 AM
I thought it was very funny. Sims made light of the moment, and did NOTHING to take away from Sammy winning it. He's a great alum, and showed his enthusiasm for our school bringing in another Heisman.

That's Billy.

If you don't like what he said, then you must not like what he did on the field for us either, right? Thought so.

Find something else to whine and b*tch about. You guys sound like whorns.

Knippz
12/15/2008, 10:58 AM
Skipped that last 3 pages. This post should just die. I don't post much. But, OK he may have went a little overboard, but I LOVED it! It shows some Great Spirit! No one should be embarrassed by that. I don't care where I am at, when I see someone wearing OU, I yell BOOMER! BOOMER SOONER!!!

It is now time to change your sig. ;)

Sooner_Bob
12/15/2008, 11:17 AM
There are worse things to be upset about.

cmbj
12/15/2008, 11:17 AM

Good point. Where was Earl Campbell? We know where Ricky Williams was.

MrJimBeam
12/15/2008, 11:20 AM

Busy making sausage.

TexasLidig8r
12/15/2008, 12:04 PM

Earl had spine and back surgery and his rehab is slower than expected.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?s=8962668

As for Sims...

sooner59
12/15/2008, 12:08 PM

As for Sims...

I would say Earl has a pretty damn good excuse then. Wasn't really pointing toward him anyway. Some of the more recent winners probably feel like they are too cool and have more important things to do. Those were the people I was talking about.

The_Red_Patriot
12/15/2008, 12:09 PM
In a nutshell, Billy Sims was Adrian Peterson only faster.

Possibly better.

No.....he wasnt..

Adrian Peterson > Billy Sims

Crimson Kid
12/15/2008, 12:19 PM
It didn't get ugly till he kept it up, i love billy and understand he's showing pride in the school and team, and i was waiting to hear him shout it out, but twice was enough imo.

Love you billy, but most of the world thought you were ruining sams moment and making a fool out of yourself and the school.

Sooner04
12/15/2008, 12:21 PM
Billy played three seasons, basically. '75, '76 (his redshirt year) and '77 can all be lumped into one. '78 and '79 are incredible.

'75-77: 552 yards on 89 carries. 6.2 yards per carry with eight touchdowns.
'78: 1896 yards on 256 carries. 7.41 yards per carry with 22 touchdowns and a Heisman trophy.
'79: 1670 yards on 248 carries. 6.73 yards per carry with 23 touchdowns.

Now compare that with Adrian Peterson.

'04: 1925 yards on 339 carries. 5.68 yards per carry with 15 touchdowns.
'05: 1108 yards on 220 carries. 5.04 yards per carry with 14 touchdowns.
'06: 1012 yards on 188 carries. 5.38 yards per carry with 12 touchdowns.

I'm sorry, but Billy's better at OU was better than Adrian's better.

In the pros? No contest. Adrian's the stud of studs.

douxpaysan
12/15/2008, 12:36 PM
No.....he wasnt..

Adrian Peterson > Billy Sims

I don't even like to go there because they were both great Sooners. You want to compare Heupel and Bradford? Who was greater? It just doesn't work.

King Crimson
12/15/2008, 12:37 PM
Billy was the best college back i've ever seen.

props to AD as the quintessential "I" back.....but Billy had it all. if you line up Billy in the I and give him 25 touches and he's sick.

Charles White, LOL. David Overstreet was better than Charles White.

snp
12/15/2008, 12:37 PM
Comparing statistics between a wishbone offense to the system AD ran in isn't really fair.

I didn't get to see Billy play so I can't judge them. But AD is the best RB I've seen in my lifetime.

soonerboomer93
12/15/2008, 12:39 PM

you're just mad at Billy because he wouldn't **** your wife

Sooner04
12/15/2008, 12:41 PM
Comparing statistics between a wishbone offense to the system AD ran in isn't really fair.
It would've been really unfair if Billy had been given the carries Peterson received. Of course, Billy had the pride of Big Sandy alongside him and he had studs in Kenny King and Thomas Lott in front of him.

Billy was so far ahead of everyone physically. That's where he stands alone.

Both were great backs, but Billy was better at OU. Peterson was/is the better pro.

A Sooner in Texas
12/15/2008, 12:52 PM

As for Sims...

God bless Earl...I hope he's doing well with his rehab. He's the best whorn ever and a great legend.
And God bless Billy. Lid, if you have a problem with Billy, just remember, he's from Texas. We love all FIVE of our Heisman winners; the four from Oklahoma and the one from Texas.

TexasLidig8r
12/15/2008, 01:02 PM
God bless Earl...I hope he's doing well with his rehab. He's the best whorn ever and a great legend.
And God bless Billy. Lid, if you have a problem with Billy, just remember, he's from Texas. We love all FIVE of our Heisman winners; the four from Oklahoma and the one from Texas.

Actually, isn't Sims from Detroit and didn't move to Hooks until after his 8th grade year?

You can keep him.

Perhaps no better comparison between OU in the 70s and OU today. Look at Sims.. and look at Bradford.

Which is the more respected representative of your school? Hell, even most Horns respect Bradford not only for his on the field accomplishments, but how he conducts himself off of it.

douxpaysan
12/15/2008, 01:05 PM

As for Sims...
God speed Earl's recovery. As to your whorny opinion of Billy...about as welcome here as a fart in a space suit.

cjames317
12/15/2008, 01:06 PM
Billy was born in St. Louis.

Billy, please come yell "BOOMER" at my funeral?

A Sooner in Texas
12/15/2008, 01:10 PM
Actually, isn't Sims from Detroit and didn't move to Hooks until after his 8th grade year?

You can keep him.

Perhaps no better comparison between OU in the 70s and OU today. Look at Sims.. and look at Bradford.

Which is the more respected representative of your school? Hell, even most Horns respect Bradford not only for his on the field accomplishments, but how he conducts himself off of it.

We're more than happy to keep Billy. And we'll let you keep Bong Boy.

King Crimson
12/15/2008, 01:11 PM

You can keep him.

i love how the Horns have some self-image of monopoly on greatness and ethics. Mack never runs up the score, blah blah blah. He's a saint. Stoops is all that's wrong with sports. we never cheat, OU cheats to keep up with UT....

King Crimson
12/15/2008, 01:13 PM
Cedric Benson, "little Earl", was the most overrated back in the last decade.

he was great against Rice and Iowa State but how many times did "little Earl" run for 100 yards against OU?

zero times.

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/15/2008, 01:22 PM
http://www.shaggybevo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25132

Poster speaking of Sammy.....

"If he was a decent guy, he would have handed the Heisman to Colt, held a team meeting supporting going to the Fiesta Bowl, and punched Billy Sims in the dick. He did none of these things, therefore he can suck a lemon."

After seeing this on a Texass board I can now say Billy did the right thing!!!

BOOOMMERR!!!!

badger
12/15/2008, 01:26 PM
Because of co-worker rants on this topic, I must stress again that this in no way was embarrassing. OJ Simpson going to jail for waving a gun at people? EMBARRASSING. Ricky Williams smoking too much marijuana to play in the NFL? EMBARRASSING. Billy Sims yelling Boomer? NOT embarrassing.

Billy seems to be getting his life back in order and re-establishing connections with Coach Switzer and other Sooner alumni. It's a sad thought that as nice of a guy as Billy could only have one high point in his life in his Heisman winning time at OU, but it's definitely a happy thought to think that he may soon have a day where he'll be repeatedly yelling "Sooner" in response to someone else instead of yelling "Boomer" repeatedly to no response.

MALE918
12/15/2008, 01:45 PM
I wish we had more Billy Sims. As far as the chant taking away the focus from Slingn' Sammy B, i don't know, maybe. or maybe it put a light on the sooner nation's exuberance for anything positive on our crimson and cream family.
i guess there's two sides to every coin; i would rather have the sims side of this coin.
Now I'm in need of some crystal!

cheezyq
12/15/2008, 01:54 PM
Didn't he do the same thing when Jason White won only Jason replied.

Bradford responded...twice. It might have been a little over the top, but it's great to have a guy that just loves the Sooners representing and cheering for his fellow Heisman brothers up there. That's the kind of fire I'd like to see in ALL our guys.

bosworthsteroidmafia
12/15/2008, 02:05 PM
So many great responses - nothing wrong with being a proud Sooner!

It's not like he interrupted Bradford during his speech...

BOOMER!!!

Pigface1
12/15/2008, 03:07 PM
I've met Billy a few times and he is a really nice guy. Seems easy going, always has a smile, and obviously he loves his Sooners.

But damnit man, just cool it during the Heisman ceremonies. One "Boomer" is fine, but come on man.

On the other hand, people hate OU anyway, so what's the difference. He should go all or nothing. . either keep his trap shut and say nothing, or keep on with the "Boomer" over and over but at least throw in a "F*** Texas" while he's at it.

Soonerbry
12/15/2008, 03:09 PM
Crazy... I thought it was a bit over the top...

KingBarry
12/15/2008, 03:13 PM

I didn't get to see Billy play so I can't judge them. But AD is the best RB I've seen in my lifetime.

And Billy's the best I've seen in mine, and I saw both Billy and Adrian play.

Billy was just great, and Switzer (the other King Barry!) has called Sims the best player he ever coached. He was just great. I don't know how else to say it. If the score was within 7, and you could get Billy the ball, you had a real chance to win the game -- no matter how much time or where you were on the field.

Watch the highlights from the above post. It's hard to believe Billy, in his playing prime, was a real guy, even today. He's hard to believe.

In terms of "greatness," Billy played for the Sooners for five seasons -- counting his redshirt year -- and played FULL seasons when he wasn't redshirting.

Adrian had a very nice freshman season, then a couple of half-seasons, then bolted early. And, frankly, in those half seasons -- the Sooners appeared to play better overall when AD was out of the lineup. I hate to say it, but it's sad but true.

You can make arguments both ways regarding ability, but in terms of greatness, there's just no comparison. Billy Sims wins by a wide, wide margin.

And Billy set a ton of rushing records with the Lions before injuries ruined his career prematurely, so let's not just assume Billy was nuthin' in the pros.

REGARDING THE HEISMAN CEREMONY

If I was Billy Sims, I wouldn't yell "BOOMER" and make a big scene. But guess what, I am not Billy Sims. I never played for OU, and I never won a Heisman Trophy.

The Heisman Club was called by ESPN the "most exclusive fraternity in sports," and Mr Sims is a life-long member of that club. Folks, Sims is a MEMBER of the Heisman club. As a member, seems to me, he can do what he wants.

He's not some corporate university official invited in some official category, or some network talking head, Mr Simms EARNED THE RIGHT to be on that stage. The ESPN guys didn't, Billy did.

Again, if I had my druthers, I'd probably wish for Billy to be a little more sedate. But I'm not consulted, because I didn't earn it. Billy did. Nuff said.

slmoore
12/15/2008, 03:30 PM
Trying to get my post count up so I can share some information about parking situation for NC game. Boomer Sooner!

8timechamps
12/15/2008, 03:45 PM
This is one of the funniest threads I've ever seen.

People are actually embarrassed by this?!

Good God, it's all about College Football...a FREAKING SPORT...a FREAKING GAME!

I watched Saturday like I have anytime a Sooner has been invited...hoping that the Sooner wins and Billy can yell BOOMER.

In fact, if Billy dropped his pants, took a dump, stuck an OU flag in it and started singing Boomer Sooner, I'd love it more!

Sam isn't hurting for "his moment". Holy ****...some of you people are funhaters.

8timechamps
12/15/2008, 03:48 PM

You can keep him.

Everyone knows horn players are at the apex of class. They would never post a moronic statement on the internet. Let alone myspace (or face book, or whatever the hell it was).

Go away.

SCxxSOONER
12/15/2008, 03:59 PM

100 percent agree

IB4OU2
12/15/2008, 04:07 PM
Everyone knows horn players are at the apex of class. \

'Cept Ricky bogarts way too much...

StoopTroup
12/15/2008, 04:38 PM
While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, lets make sure we don't forget my favorite Sooner of all time, Mr. Steve Owens (Heisman 1969). I'm pretty sure he's the senior Heisman Sooner, and a little more to my liking as a model for behavior while attending the award ceremony.

Your right....I was just pissed off, but yet again... I'd imagine Steve would have tried to reel Billy in if he'd thought it was out of line.

Deal is...you just knew Billy was going to do it if Sam had won.

Hell...it wouldn't have been the same if he hadn't.

StoopTroup
12/15/2008, 04:40 PM

You can keep him.

Their all respected.

It's yours that seem to have completely forgotten about your school. I think there at least should have been a taped interview of Reeky and Earl wishing Colt luck were they unable to attend. Heck maybe there was but ESPN didn't want to embarrass your school with it.

Boomer Mooner
12/15/2008, 05:00 PM

You can keep him.

I lurked on this board for pretty much a whole season so I wouldn't embarass myself posting, so I have been here long enough to know you are a respected member here. However, I think you're stepping over the line badmouthing a Sooner legend on a Sooner site, so allow me to respectfully request you go **** yourself :texan:

BillySims
12/15/2008, 05:04 PM
I SAID BOOMER!

Partial Qualifier
12/15/2008, 05:09 PM
Watch the highlights from the above post.

Without detracting from the posted video.. It would be so nice to have a quality (and more complete) Sims highlight film from his OU career. That vid barely scratches the surface, I remember so many sensational Sims runs that aren't on that vid...

Great post btw, KingBarry.

StoopTroup
12/15/2008, 05:14 PM
I SAID BOOMER!

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

:D

BillySims
12/15/2008, 05:37 PM
BOOMER!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/15/2008, 05:40 PM
BOOMER!I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

Lott's Bandana
12/15/2008, 05:53 PM

St Louis

Respect from whorn is like our government caring about getting respect from Iraq...you respect our firepower but would throw shoes at us at the first sign of weakness.

Pass.

StoopTroup
12/15/2008, 05:53 PM
BOOMER!

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

8timechamps
12/15/2008, 05:59 PM
...I have been here long enough to know you are a respected member here.

There is a BIG difference in being respected here, and thinking that you are respected here.

I have as much respect for his as I do the whorns coach.

BillySims
12/15/2008, 06:02 PM
SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

BOOMER!

OUHOMER
12/15/2008, 06:47 PM
This should have been a pole

StoopTroup
12/15/2008, 07:26 PM
BOOMER!

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

SOONER !

StoopTroup
12/15/2008, 07:28 PM
Billy Sims BBQ Smoked Turkeys
for the Holidays!!

http://billysimsbbq.com/email/turkey.gif

http://billysimsbbq.com/ (http://billysimsbbq.com/)

OklaUalum
12/15/2008, 08:07 PM
If what Billy did WAS considered appropriate, this discussion wouldn’t be going on for two days, now would it?

Irrespective whether you liked or disliked what Billy did during the Heisman presentation, or what the other trophy winners have done on or off the field, that fact of the matter is this: Billy acted like a clown Saturday night during the awards show.

The awards presentation said it best: It is the most desired and honored award in sports. You don’t show up and act like a jack *** for it. I would compare what Billy did to be like showing up drunk for your best friends wedding and talking about your pal’s glory days with other chicks. Come on, Billy. It is an awards presentation, not a high school reunion.

I personally would like to see him behave like an adult because I’m sure it gives our university a less than desirable image.

Perhaps next year Billy’s invitation can be “lost in the mail”.

JLEW1818
12/15/2008, 08:12 PM
Billy leading us out of the tunnel is a good idea

redhawk49
12/15/2008, 08:18 PM
And Billy's the best I've seen in mine, and I saw both Billy and Adrian play.

Billy was just great, and Switzer (the other King Barry!) has called Sims the best player he ever coached. He was just great. I don't know how else to say it. If the score was within 7, and you could get Billy the ball, you had a real chance to win the game -- no matter how much time or where you were on the field.

Watch the highlights from the above post. It's hard to believe Billy, in his playing prime, was a real guy, even today. He's hard to believe.

In terms of "greatness," Billy played for the Sooners for five seasons -- counting his redshirt year -- and played FULL seasons when he wasn't redshirting.

Adrian had a very nice freshman season, then a couple of half-seasons, then bolted early. And, frankly, in those half seasons -- the Sooners appeared to play better overall when AD was out of the lineup. I hate to say it, but it's sad but true.

You can make arguments both ways regarding ability, but in terms of greatness, there's just no comparison. Billy Sims wins by a wide, wide margin.

And Billy set a ton of rushing records with the Lions before injuries ruined his career prematurely, so let's not just assume Billy was nuthin' in the pros.

REGARDING THE HEISMAN CEREMONY

If I was Billy Sims, I wouldn't yell "BOOMER" and make a big scene. But guess what, I am not Billy Sims. I never played for OU, and I never won a Heisman Trophy.

The Heisman Club was called by ESPN the "most exclusive fraternity in sports," and Mr Sims is a life-long member of that club. Folks, Sims is a MEMBER of the Heisman club. As a member, seems to me, he can do what he wants.

He's not some corporate university official invited in some official category, or some network talking head, Mr Simms EARNED THE RIGHT to be on that stage. The ESPN guys didn't, Billy did.

Again, if I had my druthers, I'd probably wish for Billy to be a little more sedate. But I'm not consulted, because I didn't earn it. Billy did. Nuff said.

I believe this is the best post and best explaination!

bringit
12/15/2008, 08:19 PM
If what Billy did WAS considered appropriate, this discussion wouldn’t be going on for two days, now would it?

Irrespective whether you liked or disliked what Billy did during the Heisman presentation, or what the other trophy winners have done on or off the field, that fact of the matter is this: Billy acted like a clown Saturday night during the awards show.

The awards presentation said it best: It is the most desired and honored award in sports. You don’t show up and act like a jack *** for it. I would compare what Billy did to be like showing up drunk for your best friends wedding and talking about your pal’s glory days with other chicks. Come on, Billy. It is an awards presentation, not a high school reunion.

I personally would like to see him behave like an adult because I’m sure it gives our university a less than desirable image.

Here here.... thread closed

msooner
12/15/2008, 08:20 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Billy shouted out "11" times to be exact. I loved wathcing him run for Oklahoma, but maybe Steve and Jason should have shut him up. He's embarrasing!

Way to go Sam. I hope you stay for one more year.

LosAngelesSooner
12/15/2008, 08:24 PM
Some of you Okies get waaay too embarrassed, waaay too easily.

Billy was awesome. His reaction was awesome. Even the other former Heisman winners were laughing at "crazy ol' Billie."

As for Sam's reaction, he's shy. Of course he reacted that way.

I loved it. I hope we get TEN more examples of Billie embarrassing us at Heisman Trophy Presentations before Bob Stoops retires.

The rest of you complainers can go suck a lemon.

JLEW1818
12/15/2008, 08:25 PM
Legends are allowed to be "embarrassing"

ratedrsuperstar
12/15/2008, 08:30 PM
Maybe Steve,Jason or Sammy should have given him a "SOONER" after the first couple and he wouldn't have went on 11 times. Only thing I saw wrong was his timing as he shook Tebow's and Colt's hand and then hugged his parents, if he had waited until Sammy started towards the stage it would have been better in my opinion.

A Sooner in Texas
12/15/2008, 08:37 PM
Guess there are some things a few Sooners agree with whorns on...but count me out. I'll be damned if I'm going to ever let anyone say I thought one of our Sooner legends and Heisman winners is embarassing. Billy earned the right to say "Boomer!" as many times and as loudly as he wants at those ceremonies.
I'm pissed off and embarassed by the Sooners who are talking against Billy on a SOONER board. How dare you talk smack on a Sooner board about one of the greatest Sooners of all time?????

OklaUalum
12/15/2008, 08:51 PM
It's funny. You guys keep defending Sims as a legend, etc. That's all fine.

Allow me to quote The Boss from "Glory Days"

I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days

Billy's up there on stage acting like he's still in school playing football. Time to act like an adult and not a clown. Yeah, Billy is one of the greats of all time. You folks, and Billy gotta recognize that's the Glory Days. They've passed by.

Charla
12/15/2008, 08:55 PM
It could be worse, His name could be OJ.

Frozen Sooner
12/15/2008, 09:02 PM
I don't know that I'd go as far as embarassing. I sure wish he wouldn't do it, but I think he does it in a congratulatory spirit.

OUAlumni1990
12/15/2008, 09:09 PM
I wonder what people would have thought if it were Bob Stoops that starting shouting BOOMER!! BOOMER!! SOONER OR LATER WE'LL GIT YA!!

Everyone would be like----> :eek:

JLEW1818
12/15/2008, 09:11 PM
**** everybody but sooners, way i see it

Tulsa_Fireman
12/15/2008, 09:15 PM
My butt itches.

BOOMER

Soonermagik
12/15/2008, 09:31 PM

Solid posting!!! I think most know it was way over done, but how dare someone say it out loud....... blasphemy I tell ya. ;)

dog-knee
12/15/2008, 10:10 PM
Quick Billy Sims story: one of the highlights of the week before the OU-saxet game used to be the "Pre Dally Rally" at Memorial Stadium. In 1978, Switzer was standing on the at the microphone on the 50 yard line, and introduced Billy as "a guy we expect to do great things this Saturday" to about 10,000 of us who attended the rally. Billy stepped up to the microphone and said, "I want all of you to come to Dallas and see me fly."

The place went nuts.

So, while I would have preferred a few fewer "Boomer!"s at this year's Heisman award ceremony, whatever Billy does is pretty much okay with me. He isn't perfect, but anybody who is embarrassed by his behavior needs to watch highlights from 1978 and 1979. When you have that kind of a body of work, you get a free pass from the entire Sooner nation.

MamaMia
12/16/2008, 03:15 AM
Billy is Billy. Like him or don't like him. Who cares? Why don't you Billy haters tell him how totally embarrassed you are by his behavior the next time you're invited to the Heisman Award ceremony? Tell him all about the games you won for OU and show him a photo of your happy little sweet cheeks standing next to your bronze statue. He doesn't give a rats tail what ANY of you think. Why should he? Hes Billy freakin Sims for crying out loud.

Get over yourselves already.

Crucifax Autumn
12/16/2008, 03:44 AM
So we have Billy showing pride, UT has Vince Young pretending he's gonna eat a gun to get sympathy since he can't meet NFL standards and every running back they ever had but Earl smoking more weed than Cheech & Chong (and earl isn't exactly a beacon of humanity lately either, unless you count hot links as an accomplishment), SUC has OJ and that other cheating criminal in the countoun to when he offs someone, the sheephumpers have everyone who ever played there but 2 80's running backs just fading away to hicksville, tOSU has Clarett,
Miami has their entire graduating class from 1985 to 2004....etc.

Let's not be embarrassed by pride and a guy truly remaining a Sooner all these years.

Neg away fans of those other greats! lol

batonrougesooner
12/16/2008, 04:30 AM
I wish this thread would die. But...

It is one thing for Billy to throw a few Boomers out there like he did. Our guy won the trophy so go ahead if you must.

The problem is the guy kept doing it. Hell, he did it LAST YEAR when none of our guys were even in it.

It is one thing to act like this at a football game or in a less formal setting, quite another to act like this at the FREAKING HEISMAN TROPHY PRESENTATION!!!

Show some class. Show some restraint. Act like you know how to handle yourself in public!!!

Don't make this a pep rally. Don't make this about YOU.

It was embarrasing for Sam and the school in general. It was Sam's night. Not Billy's.

This thread should die.

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 04:42 AM

A little butt hurt are we Rhino? :P

I love the Sooner Pride. But come on, there is a line and Sims crossed that line IMHO. He did it when White won it too. Yell BOOMER SOONER once, maybe twice...but when you yell it several times, then you are not only looked upon as stupid, but embarassing as well.

Personally, I was not embarassed by it. The guy is a legend, but he does need to know when to stop it because he was not at a Sooner sporting event. He was at an award banquet.

LosAngelesSooner
12/16/2008, 06:11 AM
Solid posting!!! I think most know it was way over done, but how dare someone say it out loud....... blasphemy I tell ya. ;)
Nope.

I think it was PERFECTLY done and that all of you are acting like insecure little whiny bitches.

olevetonahill
12/16/2008, 06:17 AM
Nope.

I think it was PERFECTLY done and that all of you are acting like insecure little whiny bitches.

WTF is up with you ?
I now have to spek ya again :D

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 06:33 AM
Nope.

Sounds to me the only one being a whiny little b!tch is the ones that thinks his antics are perfectly fine.

There is a time and place to act childish...an award banquet such as the Heisman is not one of those times or places.

Besides, the Sooner Legend pawned his trophy...that is more embarassing.

olevetonahill
12/16/2008, 06:36 AM
Sounds to me the only one being a whiny little b!tch is the ones that thinks his antics are perfectly fine.

There is a time and place to act childish...an award banquet such as the Heisman is not one of those times or places.

Besides, the Sooner Legend pawned his trophy...that is more embarassing.

Ya keep talking like that we gonna Bust you back to Private .:eek:

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 06:47 AM
Ya keep talking like that we gonna Bust you back to Private .:eek:

Sorry sir...No matter how much love I have for Billy Sims, some of what he does is far more of an embarassment than anything else.

Like I said before, love the Sooner pride, but there is a line.

And as long as I can stay above Janitor (Jlew) I should be able to keep my self esteem. :D

olevetonahill
12/16/2008, 06:53 AM
Sorry sir...No matter how much love I have for Billy Sims, some of what he does is far more of an embarassment than anything else.

Like I said before, love the Sooner pride, but there is a line.

And as long as I can stay above Janitor (Jlew) I should be able to keep my self esteem. :D

:D Billy Is My hero , He can do WTF he wants .
If I had been there Id have Been Yelling also .;)

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 06:58 AM
:D Billy Is My hero , He can do WTF he wants .
If I had been there Id have Been Yelling also .;)

See, that is the problem. You are older than dirt...and I was but a mere Sooner pup when he was running over the likes of Texass and Nebraska. :D

The 75 is for the year of my birth.

olevetonahill
12/16/2008, 07:01 AM
See, that is the problem. You are older than dirt...and I was but a mere Sooner pup when he was running over the likes of Texass and Nebraska. :D

The 75 is for the year of my birth.

Dont call me Granpa :D

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 07:04 AM
Dont call me Granpa :D

Sure thing.

Granpa!

olevetonahill
12/16/2008, 07:07 AM
Sure thing.

Granpa!

I was 23 when I fell in love with OU Football, Dat was in 73.

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2008, 07:22 AM
I was 23 when I fell in love with OU Football, Dat was in 73.

Oh...well dad!

LOL :D

UberSooner
12/16/2008, 08:42 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20081216_92_B1_NEWYOR636518

Case closed.

olevetonahill
12/16/2008, 09:01 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20081216_92_B1_NEWYOR636518

Case closed.

Lock this thread Now , Sam has spoken .:cool:

Sooner in Tampa
12/16/2008, 09:09 AM
Nuff Said!!!!

"I didn't feel like he took anything in any way away from me," Bradford said Monday during a VIP post-party reception. "I think he made my moment even more special by sharing the traditions of the university with me as I accepted the award. So I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with Billy yelling 'Boomer.' "

badger
12/16/2008, 09:43 AM

Case closed.

Agreed. For those who said Sam was embarrassed, Sam said he wasn't. For those who said Billy's out of control and needs to be told something, he obviously was. For those who said it took away from the moment, Sam said it didn't. So, now that all's clarified, it's time to end this discussion.

We love you Billy! And Sam! ...and Jason too! Of course Steve we love. Rest in peace Billy! Well, of course we also love Sam's daddy and mom! ... well, Bob Stoop and Joe Castiglione have our love as well... more love to the person who yelled "Boomer" and Billy so he could be the one yelling "Sooner" for once... WE LOVE YOU ALL! :D