2000 Sugar Bowl......... Miami 37 Florida 20
2001 Orange Bowl....... Florida 56 Maryland 23
2002 Outback Bowl...... Michigan 38 Florida 30
2003 Outback Bowl..... Iowa 37 Florida 17
2004 Peach Bowl........ Miami 27 Florida 10
2005 Outback Bowl..... Florida 31 Iowa 24
2006 BCS Championship.... Florida 41 Ohio State 14
2007 Capital One Bowl.. Michigan 41 Florida 35

We have been in 6 BCS bowl, to their 3..

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 04:49 PM
2002 and 2003 were with Zook as the head coach and 2004 was the season Zook got fired mid-season with Charlie Strong as interim head coach for the bowl.

Urban Meyer is 2-1 in bowls while at Florida and 2-0 in his head coaching career in BCS bowls.

If you want to consider that relevant though, be my guest.

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 04:51 PM
we counting Utah wins now? lol

haha, I'm just trying to pass time.

The good thing about waiting a month for the game is I will learn a bunch about both teams.

adoniijahsooner
12/13/2008, 04:52 PM
3-5 this decade.

Surprising no one brings this up. People forget how horrible Michigan was last year, but they beat a fast sec team with a great defense and speed to burn, and the Tebow at qb.

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 04:54 PM
Surprising no one brings this up. People forget how horrible Michigan was last year, but they beat a fast sec team with a great defense and speed to burn, and the Tebow at qb.

A typical Gator will say " we were not motivated for this game"

WELL HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET MOTIVATED FOR BOISE STATE?

meoveryouxinfinity
12/13/2008, 04:54 PM
we counting Utah wins now? lol

haha, I'm just trying to pass time.

The good thing about waiting a month for the game is I will learn a bunch about both teams.

lmao. Gator logic. Well, our coach is good in bowl games!!

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 04:57 PM

Our defense was bad last year. We had just lost (I believe) 7 defensive starters from the NC team in '06. Last year was about building experience for an almost entirely new defensive unit and it's paying dividends this year.

And I still fail to see how Spurrier's last 2 bowls at Florida, Zook's 2 bowls and Charlie Strong's Zook team in a bowl are comparable to the same years when you have had one coach for the whole time, but again, if it makes you feel better more power to you.

ETA: And no, not about motivation, about a bad defense. We weren't very good last year, the offense was all Tebow and the defense played like they thought we were in the Big XII. ;)

dingyibvs
12/13/2008, 04:58 PM

You've spent too much time watching Big 12 football if you thought last year's Gator defense was "great."

goingoneight
12/13/2008, 04:58 PM
Each and every bowl game has different circumstances regarding it's outcome. Sometimes the better team wins, sometimes team A suspends a ****load of players and suffers greatly for doing so, sometimes a ball call bounces in your favor (see: OSU/UMia Fiasco Bowl 2003), sometimes you fall victim to the "Heisman Curse," sometimes the snowball effect takes it's toll on you. Sometimes you're breaking in a new coach in a critical area and that rarely is a positive when you're talking about coordinators. Sometimes some players play their career best game, sometimes just weird **** happens.

I'm not blaming any of OUr losses on any one thing because it's four different teams, four different opponents, four completely different systems, etc, etc, etc...

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 05:01 PM
Each and every bowl game has different circumstances regarding it's outcome. Sometimes the better team wins, sometimes team A suspends a ****load of players and suffers greatly for doing so, sometimes a ball call bounces in your favor (see: OSU/UMia Fiasco Bowl 2003), sometimes you fall victim to the "Heisman Curse," sometimes the snowball effect takes it's toll on you. Sometimes you're breaking in a new coach in a critical area and that rarely is a positive when you're talking about coordinators. Sometimes some players play their career best game, sometimes just weird **** happens.

I'm not blaming any of OUr losses on any one thing because it's four different teams, four different opponents, four completely different systems, etc, etc, etc...

I'm just ready to see your name change to "goingonnine"

no big deal :) :)

DenverSooner751
12/13/2008, 05:02 PM
Our defense was bad last year. We had just lost (I believe) 7 defensive starters from the NC team in '06. Last year was about building experience for an almost entirely new defensive unit and it's paying dividends this year.

And I still fail to see how Spurrier's last 2 bowls at Florida, Zook's 2 bowls and Charlie Strong's Zook team in a bowl are comparable to the same years when you have had one coach for the whole time, but again, if it makes you feel better more power to you.

ETA: And no, not about motivation, about a bad defense. We weren't very good last year, the offense was all Tebow and the defense played like they thought we were in the Big XII. ;)

What about speed?

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 05:06 PM
What about speed?

We scored what should have been enough points, just our defense was bad bad bad.

And there's a reason Tebow was the entire offense last year. Harvin was the only receiver he trusted and we had no non-Tebow running game. This year we have three backs Meyer trusts to hand off to (he is crazy intense about ball security, what fans thought were our best RBs never saw the field last year because they fumbled in practice).

And the real burners weren't playing last year - Rainey was redshirting to recover from surgery and Demps was still in HS.

DenverSooner751
12/13/2008, 05:09 PM
We scored what should have been enough points, just our defense was bad bad bad.

And there's a reason Tebow was the entire offense last year. Harvin was the only receiver he trusted and we had no non-Tebow running game. This year we have three backs Meyer trusts to hand off to (he is crazy intense about ball security, what fans thought were our best RBs never saw the field last year because they fumbled in practice).

And the real burners weren't playing last year - Rainey was redshirting to recover from surgery and Demps was still in HS.

I see.

So Florida was slow last year?

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 05:10 PM
Florida's offense is averaging less than 3 more points this year.

2008 = 45.2

2007 = 42.5

SOONERxWife73
12/13/2008, 05:13 PM
really????? we're doomed.

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 05:13 PM
My point is that we weren't a balanced attack. We had no running game, so if you came after Tebow and actually got to him, you screwed up the O. This year we have a lot more options. And I like I said, we scored plenty of points, just we gave up way too many.

Notice y'all are the ones who asked about the offense, I told you what the differences are. But why we lost games last season was the defense. You don't replace 7 defensive starters and have a good season defensively generally.

DenverSooner751
12/13/2008, 05:14 PM
Florida's offense is average less than 3 more points this year.

Thanks jlew, this is exactly what I was getting at.

It's interesting, all of the talk about speed and how it burns teams, yet, "the real burners" were not playing last year, on a "down team that was rebuilding."

I am comfortable with the UF defense discussion, they are a talented group, albiet not without their own flaws, but this discussion about speed is becoming irrelevant, the posts of our visitors are consistent with this.

Stop talking about speed, start talking about the UF D matching up with OU offense, that's the discussion, IMO.

Overall though, a few of the UF visitors haven't been half bad to smack with, decent.

DenverSooner751
12/13/2008, 05:15 PM
My point is that we weren't a balanced attack. We had no running game, so if you came after Tebow and actually got to him, you screwed up the O. This year we have a lot more options. And I like I said, we scored plenty of points, just we gave up way too many.

Notice y'all are the ones who asked about the offense, I told you what the differences are. But why we lost games last season was the defense. You don't replace 7 defensive starters and have a good season defensively generally.

So, your strength this year is defense, not speed. Thank you, you made my point for me.

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 05:17 PM
OU O-Line vs florida D-Line....

that could determine the winner

Curly Bill
12/13/2008, 05:19 PM
OU O-Line vs florida D-Line....

that could determine the winner

...but FL is so fast they'll just run around our O-line and tackle Sam before he can move. ;)

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 05:23 PM
I'm not one of the posters that has been arguing that speed is the difference in this game...

Speed doesn't decide the game, it's the key to our offense working, but it doesn't blow the game open (unless we are playing a team like 06 OSU who didn't have a single defender capable of catching us).

That said, we are scoring about the same this year as last, but I'm more comfortable with our offense this year than last. Why? Because we have more options now, so we can move the ball even when the defensive gameplan is "don't let Tebow run on us". Granted I still like our Tebow vs. anyone matchup, but it's nice not to have the entire game riding on that.

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 05:25 PM
I agree ya'll have a lot of speed, but did all of these players just get that much faster in the off season?

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 05:30 PM
It's mainly a difference in how we're using it this year. The option part of spread option has been used a lot more with Rainey and Demps being available while they weren't last year. We've been trying to get them the ball in space to let them use the speed. Also Louis Murphy has become a more consistent receiver so we're going to him more. He's always been fast, but we didn't throw his way much because he wasn't playing the rest of the aspects of the receiver position particularly well.

adoniijahsooner
12/13/2008, 05:31 PM
You've spent too much time watching Big 12 football if you thought last year's Gator defense was "great."

In the minds of the media, the worst sec defense is better than the best defenses from other conferences. The Michigan offense is littered with WR and RB's that run 4.6 and 4.7; and your suppose to be able to run out 4.3 athletes with regularity, but the wolverines found a way to score 41 POINTS! As bad as the offenses are in the sec, how do you know if your defense has really improved? I watched that Alabama game last week, those guys almost beat you with 2 players. Julio Jones, and Coffee nearly beat your team. this doesnt awaken a little fear inside of you? Have you seen our offensive linemen? They are not slow and sloppy like Andre smith. These guys run a up tempo no huddle offense and they are swift. they implemented this offense just for defenses like yours, because of the speed of west virginia's defense last year. This ought to concern you gator. The texas defensive line is much better than yours, and bradford still threw for 5 touchdowns and 380 yards. Can you feel it creeping in on you? When your fast defense is sucking wind and wore down, because those fleet footed monsters are annihilating your d-line, and making there way to your linebackers and defensive backs, with Brown and Murray running through open lanes as Tim Tebow sits in unbelief, because he took communion the night before, and gave a homeless man a turkey sandwich; he wonders why God will not answer his prayers.:D

Curly Bill
12/13/2008, 05:32 PM
I agree ya'll have a lot of speed, but did all of these players just get that much faster in the off season?

They got faster the moment they enrolled at Florida. ;)

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 05:32 PM
It's mainly a difference in how we're using it this year. The option part of spread option has been used a lot more with Rainey and Demps being available while they weren't last year. We've been trying to get them the ball in space to let them use the speed. Also Louis Murphy has become a more consistent receiver so we're going to him more. He's always been fast, but we didn't throw his way much because he wasn't playing the rest of the aspects of the receiver position particularly well.

What offensive team in the league, is most comparable to your offense?

Curly Bill
12/13/2008, 05:35 PM
What offensive team in the league, is most comparable to your offense?

The Olympic sprint realy team! :D

...man I'm having fun mocking all this: we're Florida, we're the fastest thing you've ever seen crap.

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 05:38 PM
hehehehehe

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 05:41 PM
The Olympic sprint realy team! :D

...man I'm having fun mocking all this: we're Florida, we're the fastest thing you've ever seen crap.

Lets be realistic here, NASA. We can break the speed of sound regularly, but every now and then we don't prepare and can't stop the other team, so everything blows up.

Curly Bill
12/13/2008, 05:46 PM
So...the secret is out -- NASA trains the FL guys to run so fast. Is this part of some plan to send someone into orbit without a spacecraft? Someone that can run fast enough, and leap into the air high enough, to escape the bonds of earthly gravity?

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 05:48 PM
So...the secret is out -- NASA trains the FL guys to run so fast. Is this part of some plan to send someone into orbit without a spacecraft? Someone that can run fast enough, and leap into the air high enough, to escape the bonds of earthly gravity?

Exactly. They're planning to replace the space shuttle with Percy Harvin and then let Tebow carry up the rest of the pieces to the International Space Station. Fueled by Gatorade, of course, it replaces what a hard working body needs.

starclassic tama
12/13/2008, 05:55 PM
florida stole gatorade from FSU, it was developed there first

Soonersince57
12/13/2008, 05:56 PM
This just in, everything is faster in Florida - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK5ZjtpO-M

Curly Bill
12/13/2008, 05:57 PM
I spent three months in Pensacola back in the day. There was some fast wimens. ;) :P :D :)

Soonersince57
12/13/2008, 06:02 PM
Urban Meyer takes his kids to school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CQOWYkJSzI&feature=related

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 06:05 PM
Urban Meyer takes his kids to school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CQOWYkJSzI&feature=related

He actually uses that in practice so he can follow along beside the plays.

GG84
12/13/2008, 06:06 PM
florida stole gatorade from FSU, it was developed there first

This isn't true. I know it was said during the FSU/UF broadcast, but there is no evidence to back it up.

Soonersince57
12/13/2008, 06:11 PM
Probably somebody at Thug U peed in a bottle and mailed it north.

L-Boy
12/13/2008, 06:28 PM
3-5 this decade.

As others have said-

1. Historical bowl performances under different coaches with different systems have limited value

2. Zook was a flat out poor bowl game coach. Its ironic, because Zook was actually a good regular season - big away game coach. It was the games that he was supposed to win he didn't.

3. Meyer both at UF and at other schools appears to prepare the team well. Last year being an embarrasing exception. UF's defense was just flat out bad last year, mostly because of their youth.

As stated, OK's record has been mixed too. If I had to theorize, they run a system that makes them look good against average teams. Against good teams, with better talent (like LSU and USC) the team speed kind of blows the Okie system up. The same could be said for UF under Spurrier's system.

One thing working in OU's favor is that Bradford is by far the best QB I have seen at OU. Most of the other QB's have been system QB's that made them look good. Bradford is the real deal.

DenverSooner751
12/13/2008, 06:37 PM
As others have said-

1. Historical bowl performances under different coaches with different systems have limited value

2. Zook was a flat out poor bowl game coach. Its ironic, because Zook was actually a good regular season - big away game coach. It was the games that he was supposed to win he didn't.

3. Meyer both at UF and at other schools appears to prepare the team well. Last year being an embarrasing exception. UF's defense was just flat out bad last year, mostly because of their youth.

As stated, OK's record has been mixed too. If I had to theorize, they run a system that makes them look good against average teams. Against good teams, with better talent (like LSU and USC) the team speed kind of blows the Okie system up. The same could be said for UF under Spurrier's system.

One thing working in OU's favor is that Bradford is by far the best QB I have seen at OU. Most of the other QB's have been system QB's that made them look good. Bradford is the real deal.

LSU and USC?

We did not run a hurry up no huddle spread attack against them. So, your theory is shot.

MiccoMacey
12/13/2008, 06:41 PM
Is Emmanuel Moody still at Florida?

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 06:43 PM
Yes. Meyer has been using him as a late in the game back, I think the theory is tire the defense out chasing the little guys sideline to sideline then pound Moody up the middle once they're winded.

L-Boy
12/13/2008, 06:43 PM
Is Emmanuel Moody still at Florida?

yes

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 06:44 PM
Moody is from Coppell, Texas