PDA

View Full Version : Another thing about Michigan: they wanted Sam

Jacie
12/13/2008, 12:09 AM
He would have been Lloyd Carr's recruit but Rich Rodriguez' player. RR's offense requires a highly mobile quarterback, more in the mold of McCoy, Tebow and definately Pat White. But some UM fans wonder what might have been if OUr guy had become their guy . . .

Report: Missed call might have hurt U-M's chances to land QB Sam Bradford
FREE PRESS STAFF REPORTS • December 9, 2008

The New York Times published a big feature story last week on Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, a strong candidate to win the Heisman Trophy on Saturday.

Included in Thayer Evans' article was a passage about Bradford's recruitment by Michigan. A snippet:

Just days after (Oklahoma assistant coach Chuck) Long’s visit, Michigan’s quarterbacks coach at the time, Scot Loeffler, watched Bradford throw. He, too, promised a scholarship offer the next Monday from Lloyd Carr, the Wolverines’ coach at the time.

But Carr did not call that Monday. On Wednesday, Loeffler called (high school coach Bob) Wilson and explained that Carr did not call because one of his grandchildren had been born over the weekend.

Loeffler told Wilson that Carr would call the next Monday with a scholarship offer. The next day, Bradford had his meeting with Stoops and Long. He committed to the Sooners before Michigan made an offer.

“There was no question we would have loved to have him,” Carr said in a telephone interview. “We felt in evaluating him that he was going to be a great player.”

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2008, 12:18 AM
I bet Sammy is glad he never got that call.

Curly Bill
12/13/2008, 12:21 AM
Was there any real chance Sammy was going anywhere else but here?

oumartin
12/13/2008, 12:27 AM
he was gonna go to Tech from what I hear had OU not offered

IBleedCrimson
12/13/2008, 12:32 AM
sammy is a winner. and winners Dont go to michigan. They go to ou and play for conference and national titles . nuff said

Boomer38Sooner
12/13/2008, 12:51 AM
sammy is a winner. and winners Dont go to michigan. They go to ou and play for conference and national titles . nuff said

Completely agree

Ban One Sooner
12/13/2008, 01:53 AM
Was there any real chance Sammy was going anywhere else but here?

Exactly. Why is this story even worthy of publishing? OK, if this was 90's michigan teams compared with Blake's 90's OU teams, I can see how back then players could (and did) get pulled out of Oklahoma and go to stronger teams, but it ain't 1996.

The human dynamo that is Lloyd Carr could have called 50 times a day and Sammy still would have went to OU. It really just highlights the laziness and lack of effort of Carr. If he really thought he would be a great QB and thought they had a legitimate shot at him, how can you be that stupid to not attempt to make a phone call?

Crucifax Autumn
12/13/2008, 01:57 AM
Pretty stupid regardless...Why would a proud Okie wanna go to Michigan? With Llyd Carr even! lmao

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2008, 02:05 AM
We should link this to the Meechicken boards to rub it in their face.

Crucifax Autumn
12/13/2008, 02:11 AM
That or just point and laugh.

bluedogok
12/13/2008, 02:22 PM
Exactly. Why is this story even worthy of publishing? OK, if this was 90's michigan teams compared with Blake's 90's OU teams, I can see how back then players could (and did) get pulled out of Oklahoma and go to stronger teams, but it ain't 1996.

The human dynamo that is Lloyd Carr could have called 50 times a day and Sammy still would have went to OU. It really just highlights the laziness and lack of effort of Carr. If he really thought he would be a great QB and thought they had a legitimate shot at him, how can you be that stupid to not attempt to make a phone call?
That is why Michigan was so bad this season, RichRod inherited a mess there, a team devoid of the necessary talent to compete at the highest level. A Michigan alum at work said that was one of the reasons why Lester turned them down, along with the money difference.

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2008, 02:49 PM
That or just point and laugh.I prefer bending over and farting.

Jacie
12/13/2008, 07:13 PM
We should link this to the Meechicken boards to rub it in their face.

Actually, that is where I found it. Most of the UM fans feel Sam would not have been a good fit with Rich Rodriguez's offensive scheme. However, they look longingly at OUr offensive statistics and given current events cannot help but wonder what their season might have been had Bradford been throwing for them.

hgarmorer
12/13/2008, 07:23 PM
Actually, that is where I found it. Most of the UM fans feel Sam would not have been a good fit with Rich Rodriguez's offensive scheme. However, they look longingly at OUr offensive statistics and given current events cannot help but wonder what their season might have been had Bradford been throwing for them.

Hell given thier current events, how could they not look anywhere and wonder what might have been? LOL

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/13/2008, 09:01 PM
he was gonna go to Tech from what I hear had OU not offered

leach offered him 2 months before we did.