PDA

View Full Version : A&M thinks they got one from Michigan

Jacie
12/12/2008, 11:39 PM
University of Michigan true freshman tailback Sam McGuffie will no longer be wearing the maize and blue. The 5-foot-11, 185-pound Houston native confirmed to Rivals.com that he received his official release from the university Friday morning.

Sam McGuffie, a Houston native, is looking to transfer closer to home.
"I just got out of the compliance office and picked up my release," McGuffie said. "They gave me a full release – no restrictions. I will be somewhere else in January."

McGuffie says the decision to transfer was not an easy one and he did not take it lightly.

"It's just been weighing on me for a while," he said. "There are a number of factors that went into [the decision]. It's nothing against the Michigan football team or the university. I felt that I had to what is best for myself and my family."

McGuffie does not have a future destination set, but he did mention that he would prefer to be closer to his hometown.

"I'm looking to stay in or around Texas," he said. "There are a couple of schools that I had them send my release to - Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU and Oklahoma State."

He did say that Texas A&M would likely be considered the front-runner as of right now.

"They were one of my top teams last year," McGuffie said of the Aggies. "I have a former teammate, Chris Lathrop, that signed with them last year and he loves it. I've talked to him a bunch about it. I know a lot of guys on the team there and I have a bunch of friends from home that go there, too."

McGuffie, a four-star prospect coming out of Cy-Fair High School a year ago, made a significant contribution as a freshman with the Wolverines this year. He started the first six games of the season and finished as the team's second-leading rusher and third-leading receiver, despite missing two games with injuries.

His best performance of the year came against Notre Dame, where he rushed for 138 yards and had four receptions for 47 yards and a touchdown. He ended the season with 535 yards and three touchdowns rushing as well as 19 receptions for 175 yards and one touchdown. In addition, he averaged 21.1 yards on seven kickoff returns.

McGuffie will have to sit out a year if he transfers to another Football Bowl Subdivision (Division I-A) school. He will then have three years of eligibility remaining.

Curly Bill
12/12/2008, 11:46 PM
From one ****-poor team to another, but at least he can lose closer to home.

IBleedCrimson
12/12/2008, 11:47 PM
I don't begrudge a m anyone. They need all the help they can get

IBleedCrimson
12/12/2008, 11:50 PM
From one ****-poor team to another, but at least he can lose closer to home.

heh it's funny cause it's true

Curly Bill
12/12/2008, 11:53 PM
If I recall correctly we wanted the kid, but he apparently prefers to play for lesser teams...more power to him I guess, and heh!

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2008, 12:15 AM
Out of the pot and into the fire

Crucifax Autumn
12/13/2008, 02:33 AM
What a coup for the nut-grabbers! They managed to steal a guy from a team that had it's worst season ever!!!!

Brasky7
12/13/2008, 02:52 AM
read in another article where Rich Rodriguez said McGuffie had two or three concussions this year...

no matter where he ends up, just hope he stays healthy...

Crucifax Autumn
12/13/2008, 02:59 AM
yeah, cuz he's gonna need his physical ability now that he's probably retarded from head injuries!

Apologies to any Sooner victims of brain trauma.

bstuff1979
12/13/2008, 10:58 AM
yeah, cuz he's gonna need his physical ability now that he's probably retarded from head injuries!
[/I]

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/wbennettberry/mcguffie.jpg

...and he's a midget, or, as Leach would refer to him, an elf. Honestly, I really do feel bad for A&M. They're a little nutty, but they're so much better than the other institution in that state.

fadada1
12/13/2008, 11:10 AM
maybe they can get calvin (the paperboy) to play for them.

i'm going straight to hell.

Scott D
12/13/2008, 02:41 PM
read in another article where Rich Rodriguez said McGuffie had two or three concussions this year...

no matter where he ends up, just hope he stays healthy...

not to mention that like the rest of the Michigan backs, he had a severe case of butterfingers.

Scott D
12/13/2008, 05:10 PM
oh and I should probably add that in the papers up here, McGuffie transferring away seems to have a lot more to do with "family issues" than with the RichRod offense, or style of play.

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 05:18 PM
Is this the White running back from Cy Fair?

goingoneight
12/13/2008, 05:19 PM
We let the kids go when Kelvin Sanctions left for IU, and while it made for a tough first season, you know you're truly going to succeed if you can work first with what you've got and patiently build over time. Like upon Stoops's arrival, he busted the kids asses we had on hand, brought in a bunch of his own hand-picked players and took a 5-win team to a bowl game, then a year later an MNC. It doesn't always happen that fast, and the problem with most CFB programs is they expect it to happen that fast. The reason Stoops whipped Ou into shape fast is because he's among the best if not THE best in CFB at what he does. Doesn't mean he isn't human and guys like :mack: won't be able to beat him and win an MNC of their own. :mack: gets a lot of crap, but I can tell you if when Stoops was hired we were guaranteed what Texas has gotten from :mack:, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 05:20 PM
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/jlew1818/300_143511.gif

soonerinabilene
12/13/2008, 05:25 PM
I hope he goes to A&M, cause honestly him in the Pokes offense would be really, really scary. The kids got a ton of potential.