PDA

View Full Version : Waiter, whats that M in his NC?

soonergirlNeugene
12/12/2008, 08:09 PM
I'm sorry if someone has already created a thread about this, but I sure haven't seen one and it's starting to get to me a little.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't MNC=Mythical National Championship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythical_national_championship)? As in 2003 SC, and what the whorns hope to accomplish with enough whining at the end of this season.

We are playing for a National Championship. Let's leave those Ms to Mack.

Jack T.
12/12/2008, 08:16 PM
NCAA DI Football Championships *are* MNCs. . .there is no *definite* best team, because there is no playoff.

XingTheRubicon
12/12/2008, 08:17 PM
The OU - Florida winner will win the now meaningless AP.

Texas will be fighting for 2nd with USC and FLA

soonergirlNeugene
12/12/2008, 08:22 PM
The OU - Florida winner will win the now meaningless AP.

Texas will be fighting for 2nd with USC and FLA

Wait...don't you mean the Harris? AP voters are still free to vote for whoever they like at the end of the season.

I don't buy the playoff argument. Not that I wouldn't want one, but if you win the title game, you're the national champion. I remember Stoops saying exactly that in 03.

sooner ngintunr
12/12/2008, 08:35 PM
Mr. Switzer says it's a MNC. Thats all I need to hear. He's not interested in a "true" NC. He would rather just beat the one team and get the MNC.

Switzer trumps Stoops.......for now.

StoopTroup
12/12/2008, 08:40 PM
I just like the idea of stomping a mudhole in the swamp that is Florida.

If it comes with a crystal ball and the honor of hanging the claim to 8 instead of the 7 whatever we have claim too....it's fine with me.

I understand the MNC deal and still believe it's a lot better to have than suc's AP NC or Auburn's "People's Champion" Trophy.

MNC or NC....it really makes no difference...especially if Sam takes the Heisman and kills the curse.

BoulderSooner79
12/12/2008, 09:20 PM
Still MNC because the criteria to get to the title game is part popularity contest. But that doesn't lesson the importance of the game and the desire by everyone to get there. This year if you took any 2 of OU/UT/UF/USC you would probably cover 99%+ of the match-ups everyone would agree are the best. Trimming it down to OU/UF cuts that percentage a bunch, but still everyone agrees its a great match-up.

SteelCitySooner
12/12/2008, 10:06 PM
I thought the NCAA doesn't recognize national championships, hence, MNC?

Soonerus
12/12/2008, 10:20 PM
Are you joking ??? "Men's National Championship"...

bluedogok
12/12/2008, 10:25 PM
The don't recognize one in Division-I/A (FBS), all other classes (Division-I/AA (FCS), Division II and Division III) are recognized by the NCAA since there is an NCAA sanctioned playoff in effect.

tooslow
12/13/2008, 12:45 AM
The only MNCs that seem to hold any weight have been the Coaches and AP polls. Unless you are Alabama who recognizes ANY organization that has voted them as "National Champions". OU only recognizes Coaches and AP National Championships for the football program. Bama has 12 Championships? By Bama's criteria, we have 17!

Like others have said above, it's a popularity contest. No way to tell who the best team is without a playoff. Obviously, with the BCS, the winner of the BCS Championship game will be looked upon as a more deserving champion, should there be a split title. That being said, if OU gets left out of a future BCS Championship game and somehow winds up with the AP Title, I will damn sure recognize it. I doubt that will ever happen, though. With more weight now given to human voters, the AP will most likely side with the winner of the BCS Championship game.

soonerboomer93
12/13/2008, 01:04 AM

actually, the NCAA Record books will list all national champions

However, it may list several teams from the same year, also giving credit to who/what awarded them the NC.

Curly Bill
12/13/2008, 01:07 AM
I got news for some of you folks: even with a playoff the best team will not necessarily win. Anyone really think the Giants were the best NFL team last year, as opposed to the hottest?

In any given year is the eventual winner of the NCAA B-ball tournament truly the best team?

birddog
12/13/2008, 01:17 AM
I got news for some of you folks: even with a playoff the best team will not necessarily win. Anyone really think the Giants were the best NFL team last year, as opposed to the hottest?

In any given year is the eventual winner of the NCAA B-ball tournament truly the best team?

not usually but atleast more than 2 teams had a chance to prove it.

Curly Bill
12/13/2008, 01:19 AM
not usually but atleast more than 2 teams had a chance to prove it.

Teams have all regular season to prove it.

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2008, 01:51 AM
Do you playoff freaks want to turn it over to the ncaa? Not me azzhole, less money for the Universities and Bowl towns. It all goes to the ncaa. Those asshats who put us on probation every time we fart the wrong way in the wind. Phuque the ncaa!

Crucifax Autumn
12/13/2008, 02:22 AM
I normally side with the playoff idea, but that post actually made me slow down and think about it!

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2008, 02:30 AM
I normally side with the playoff idea, but that post actually made me slow down and think about it!Yup, hit the brakes.
And now some asshat texass guy in the US congress wants to make a law about it.

Oh boy the usgov running the show? F that.

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2008, 02:53 AM
There are 3 seasons in C BBall, the regular season, the conf Championship and tha ncca, any Tom Dick and Harry gets in. I dont want CFB to deteroate to that .

Crucifax Autumn
12/13/2008, 02:57 AM
You gotta admit though, college basketball isn't much different from the NBA...just win half your games, then show up.

And yep, I admit it...I don't want that to happen to my favorite sport. At most I'd be for a plus 1 or a plus 3 with the first 4 bcs games leading to a 4 team playoff and then the championship.

as for Texas politicians, I lived there a long time and agree...asshats, much like we expect from them.

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2008, 04:54 AM
M means "mythical" when the Sooners don't win it.