PDA

View Full Version : Last Years Cotton Bowl- any indication of Big 12 Defense compared to SEC Speed?

MojoRisen
12/11/2008, 06:46 PM
If it is I believe the 38-7 Mizzou trouncing of Arkansas who was 8-4 with 2 first round picks says something for sure.

I think we have had a hard time finding common opponents to compare Big 12 D to SEC Speed.

Mizzou wasn't too far removed from last years squad and Arkansas was much better and very competitive in the SEC last year at 8-4.

Mizzou stopped them cold and I think is one of the reason's why they were picked so high this year.

Any thoughts or valid comparison here? :pop:

soonergirlNeugene
12/11/2008, 07:12 PM
Don't forget that Arkie was also in complete meltdown mode over the Nutt-Mustain soap opera. Their interim coach at the time just didn't stand much chance for a win.

TXHornsFan
12/11/2008, 07:17 PM
It's hard to draw solid conclusions from bowl games, especially a single game. Remember the 2006 Cotton Bowl when Alabama completely shut down TXTech?

MojoRisen
12/11/2008, 08:42 PM
I remember that game 10-7 - Bama was 10-2 and Tech as 8-4

Bama really didn't do much either!

I have a feeling we are going to stop Florida, I have a real feeling it maybe 21-3 like it should have been against Texas... Early

KingDavid
12/11/2008, 08:55 PM
Too many coherent, well-thought-out points in this thread, and far too early. We need to shut it down before Aurora shows up.

Tidefan36854
12/11/2008, 10:22 PM
I remember that game 10-7 - Bama was 10-2 and Tech as 8-4

Bama really didn't do much either!

I have a feeling we are going to stop Florida, I have a real feeling it maybe 21-3 like it should have been against Texas... Early

Not that it has any real bearing on this game, it was 13-10 win for Bama.

Alabama and TTU were both 9-2 going into that game. TTU had the 2nd rated offense in the Country, and was averaging 511 yards and 42.1 points a game coming. Alabama had the number 1 defense in the country, allowing the fewest yards and points per game that year only giving up 248.3 Yards/game and 10.7 point/game. TTU lost to Texas and OSU that year, with the OSU being an upset. Alabama lost to LSU and Auburn that year.

goingoneight
12/11/2008, 10:30 PM
Apparently you don't remember texas Tech being a 3-loss team going into that Cotton Bowl, do you? ;)

MojoRisen
12/11/2008, 10:32 PM
I don't think that has much bearing at all either- truth is we know what Tech is going to call and - Leach marks off his plays not too call the same ones twice... All you need is a zoom camera on his note pad. He is the prototypical Play Station Play Caller- pretty tough to stop but not with pressure on his QB with a 4 man front.. & Athletes.

I also remember Bama having a 80 yard td with Provo the kid that got hurt and would have been all american.

What about Arkansas being shut down by Mizzou- granted it is a bowl game and those guys are going to the next level with nothing to play for - I thought Arkie would be able to run on MIZZOu- NO?

Running is not that difficult to execute if you can do it- especially against MIZZOU.

I am gaining confidence against Florida, I know they were looking great in 06after the OHio St game- I have friends in Colombus and they did not think Florida even had a chance- and now all they talk about is Troy Smith showing up 20 pounds over weight for that game... and becoming a head case when his #1 target went down in GINN.

RacerX
12/11/2008, 11:13 PM
We'll have an understanding of conference strength after all the bowl games are done before the champ game.

Tidefan36854
12/11/2008, 11:28 PM
Apparently you don't remember texas Tech being a 3-loss team going into that Cotton Bowl, do you? ;)

I actually didn't remember. This article says they were a 2 loss team. Were they not?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/news/story?id=2248127

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2008, 11:43 PM
only according to the "official" record. reality was somewhat different from "official" that year.