PDA

View Full Version : Do you all notice similarities of 2008 and 2000?

OU_Sooners75
12/11/2008, 03:45 PM
Going into the Bowl game?

I remember hearing the Florida State's defense was going to stop OU (which they did for the most part)...That Florida State was going to demolish OU because OU didnt face a team like that of Florida State or a QB like Weinke. They don't have the speed. They don't have the defense.

I remember people saying that OUr defense sucked because the Big 12 does know how to play defense.

I remember people saying OU will not do anything against the Florida State team.

And I remember people ready to hand the trophy to Florida State for the second time in 2 years.

The similarities are overwhelming.

NOVSooner
12/11/2008, 04:10 PM
i thought the same thing today, throw in the Miami factor, a coordinator leaving (Richt, 2000), etc. strange similarities

PalmBeachSooner
12/11/2008, 04:57 PM
Going into the Bowl game?

I remember hearing the Florida State's defense was going to stop OU (which they did for the most part)...That Florida State was going to demolish OU because OU didnt face a team like that of Florida State or a QB like Weinke. They don't have the speed. They don't have the defense.

I remember people saying that OUr defense sucked because the Big 12 does know how to play defense.

I remember people saying OU will not do anything against the Florida State team.

And I remember people ready to hand the trophy to Florida State for the second time in 2 years.

The similarities are overwhelming.

It also reminds me of USC and the perceptions we had about their toughness and ability to play a physical team like OU. We know how that turned out. This year Florida has the same perception about us. We are overrated because because the defenses in the Big 12 suck. There is no way we can stand up to the bigger, faster and more talented Gators. It might turn out to be the case but I feel better knowing they don't respect us and believe me they don't. Did you see that s**t-eating grin on Meyers face during the Fox BCS telecast? Dude thinks he got 'dis in da bag.

SimpleBrent
12/11/2008, 06:03 PM
It also reminds me of USC and the perceptions we had about their toughness and ability to play a physical team like OU. We know how that turned out. This year Florida has the same perception about us. We are overrated because because the defenses in the Big 12 suck. There is no way we can stand up to the bigger, faster and more talented Gators. It might turn out to be the case but I feel better knowing they don't respect us and believe me they don't. Did you see that s**t-eating grin on Meyers face during the Fox BCS telecast? Dude thinks he got 'dis in da bag.

It could also have been a Norm Chow grin where he KNOWS he's "got dis in da bag". I would venture to guess upon his first view of the OU d that year he felt a warm fuzzy feeling knowing the *** pounding that was about to happen.

IronSoonerMan
12/11/2008, 06:05 PM
I was drunk then!

Im drunk now!!

amazingly similar.....:D

TheUnnamedSooner
12/11/2008, 06:24 PM
I remember being undefeated. Different year, different team, let's go get #8!!

Crimsontothecore
12/11/2008, 07:13 PM
Yes, they both start with "200"

NorCaligator
12/11/2008, 07:52 PM
They both are leap years!

NorCaligator
12/11/2008, 08:18 PM
Miami got shut out of the championship game by FSU based on rankings despite the fact that Miami beat FSU in the regular season. Hmm.

Weinke won the Davey O'Brien. Bradford won the Davey O'Brien.

Weinke edged Heupel for the Heisman, and then lost the game. Bradford looks favored to win the Heisman this year . . .

Differences:

In 2000, OU was unanimous number 1 in BCS, AP and Coaches.
FSU was 2, 3, & 3. A more even split this year.

OU was undefeated in 2000.

Final score: OU 13 FSU 2. (I think we can safely move those scores into the "not similar" category)

OU stomped Texas in 2000 by a score of 63-14.

Tim Tebow (had to put him in here)

the_ouskull
12/12/2008, 12:03 AM
Similarities...?

The two teams couldn't be much more different.

- Even though Huepel didn't have Sam's arm strength, the 2000 team was a much more vertical team. Q kept teams somewhat honest running behind an undersized, but smart and tough offensive line. In 2008, we're a downhill running, dink-and-dunk-with-crosses-for-big-gains team. Our injured tailback keeps teams honest running behind an offensive line that is one of the largest to ever play college football, but hasn't yet shown themselves to be mentally tough in big games.

- The 2000 team had a defense full of skilled, smart players who gave a sh*t. Specifically, man-to-man corners with safeties in deep coverage and linebackers with size and either speed or the proverbial "nose-for-the-ball." Also, the 2000 defense had attitude.

The 2008 team has a defense? Seriously...? Shut up, I'm not buyin' that for a second... Susceptible to the deep ball, and much, much, much, much poorer tacklers, the 2008 team may be a bit faster than the 2000 team, but, since they're out of position about 100x more often, it makes sense that they would be.

- The 2000 team made things happen on special teams. The 2008 team lets things happen on special teams.

Like I said, what are the similarities again...?

the_ouskull

Crucifax Autumn
12/12/2008, 12:07 AM
Like I said, what are the similarities again...?

Only one I can really see is we're gonna go to Florida and wina national championship against a team playing basically at home. Otherwise...fairly different.

OU_Sooners75
12/12/2008, 03:15 AM
Hmmm.....where did the OP say that the teams are similar?

I did however show some similarities about what people were saying.

okienole3
12/12/2008, 07:59 AM
You can make similarities to any year if you look hard enough. 2000 will never be duplicated. We need to get over that and go out and make new memories.