PDA

View Full Version : CBS Releases 64 Team Bracket

noobalicious
12/11/2008, 10:55 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11159821

For you playoff geeks. We'd get Kentucky and then either Nebbish or Western Michigan.

soonervegas
12/11/2008, 12:00 PM
good grief.

soonermix
12/11/2008, 12:21 PM
128 team playoff is the only fair way to do it

Blues1
12/11/2008, 12:31 PM
7 team Season --- I don't think So ~~~~ :(

noobalicious
12/11/2008, 12:37 PM
why don't we just combine all the football divisions and just make the season a giant tournament?

:-p

I kid.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2008, 12:38 PM
whats funny is thats how many teams will probably end up in the playoff a few years after one is implemented

SoonerPr8r
12/11/2008, 02:11 PM
There goes my night I need to go sim all of these on NCAA09 to see who wins....

Dan Thompson
12/11/2008, 02:20 PM
noobalicious

Thats a great idea. They could put all 119 team names in a big drum and draw teams for first games. All random, no bias. Place the names on the 'play off' chart and let the games begin.

Home and away games would be marked on the 'play off' chart before the drawing the names.

reddfoxx
12/11/2008, 02:28 PM
whats funny is thats how many teams will probably end up in the playoff a few years after one is implemented

I disagree, does anyone truely believe that the NCAA and the college presidents care about money?

I remember the argument against the +1 game several years back that the college players shouldn't play more than 12 games each year (11 regular season + bowl game) because the student athletes would miss too much class and be prone to injury.

Well the NCAA finally figured out that more money could be made by going to a 12 game regular season + conference title game + bowl game. (14 games)

All that being said, a playoff would be hard to do beacuse the system now is designed to keep 80% of the bowl money in the BCS conferences and excludes the smaller conferences. Also, think about all the chamber of commerce types in the bowl cities and how much money is passed under the table to keep the status quo. A law suit by the non-BCS conferences will be the only thing that will produce a play-off in college football.

abOUtwinning
12/11/2008, 02:36 PM
I like that bracket since there would be a possibility that the Stoops bros would have to battle...

kssoonerfan7
12/11/2008, 03:29 PM
something funny about this is Texas isnt even a number 1 seed! but something that would definitely have to change, you couldnt have OU and Texas in the same half of the bracket. That wouldnt make sense

meoveryouxinfinity
12/11/2008, 03:35 PM
Why don't we play football indoors, maybe on wood or something? And then we can wear shorts and jerseys instead of pants and all those pads. While we're at it, let's reshape the ball a little bit. I think a perfect sphere would be nice. Then, instead of uprights, we coud save some money and just use one goal post on each end....

HiFiGator
12/11/2008, 04:02 PM
I disagree, does anyone truely believe that the NCAA and the college presidents care about money?

I remember the argument against the +1 game several years back that the college players shouldn't play more than 12 games each year (11 regular season + bowl game) because the student athletes would miss too much class and be prone to injury.

Well the NCAA finally figured out that more money could be made by going to a 12 game regular season + conference title game + bowl game. (14 games)

All that being said, a playoff would be hard to do beacuse the system now is designed to keep 80% of the bowl money in the BCS conferences and excludes the smaller conferences. Also, think about all the chamber of commerce types in the bowl cities and how much money is passed under the table to keep the status quo. A law suit by the non-BCS conferences will be the only thing that will produce a play-off in college football.

Yes, I do truly believe that the presidents care about money. But the real holdup to a playoff isn't the BCS conferences' greedily keeping the money, but rather the Big Ten/Pac Ten and to a lesser extent, Notre Dame. I just learned a couple of weeks ago that the Big Ten and Pac Ten conferences actually OWN the Rose Bowl game and the Parade of Roses. They aren't interested in sharing their cash cow with anyone else. I think they are getting too much of a fair deal. If either of their teams qualify for the Title game, then they get their share of that money, plus they get to select their replacement team first (or second) and then they get to keep all the money from their game and parade.

Incidentally, here's a link to a discussion about potential playoff possibilities from the Georgetown board. There're some good ideas on there. If only it was left up to us ...

http://hoyatalk2.proboards48.com/index.cgi?board=pro&action=display&thread=17852

starclassic tama
12/11/2008, 04:10 PM
the funniest part about that bracket is texas didn't even get a 1 seed...

SoonersEnFuego
12/11/2008, 04:13 PM
the funniest part about that bracket is texas didn't even get a 1 seed...
De Ja Vu

HiFiGator
12/11/2008, 04:33 PM
My favorite part of this playoff would be kicking the crap out of Notre Dame in the first round and then FSU AGAIN in the second.

SapulpaSooner
12/11/2008, 11:28 PM
Do a 8 team playoff with 1 vs. 8 2 vs. 7 3 vs. 6 4 vs. 5 do the 1st two games for the high seeds at home and than go to Miami

Curly Bill
12/12/2008, 12:04 AM
My favorite thing about this is that it would render the regular season almost worthless...

....oh wait, that would actually suck.

noobalicious
12/12/2008, 12:29 AM
There goes my night I need to go sim all of these on NCAA09 to see who wins....

Let us know what happens!

:D