PDA

View Full Version : Looking to change career

HoustonsOwn
12/10/2008, 04:33 PM

OU alum, marketing major....would like to actually be involved in something i spent those college years working towards! marketing, advertising, PR, even (gulp) sales

currently in the oil & gas industry....it's gotten old to me and i dread going to work each day

any ideas?

Cam
12/11/2008, 09:37 PM
Here's my advice for you.

If you currently have a job, stay exactly where you are and bite the bullet. The job market suck major *** right now, and will for quite a while.

Try a new role in your current company to break up the monotony.

HoustonsOwn
12/12/2008, 01:20 PM
Here's my advice for you.

If you currently have a job, stay exactly where you are and bite the bullet. The job market suck major *** right now, and will for quite a while.

Try a new role in your current company to break up the monotony.

'preciate the reply....

and yes, i'm starting to see that there's not much out there, if anything at all...i'm sure i'll stay here for a bit longer, but just try to get my name out there for other job possibilities

what's funny (and terribly saddening) is there's a SWEET job that i could probably get via one of my college friends

the only problem...it's in Austin

i don't mind the city, in fact, it's a pretty cool place....if it weren't for that god-forsaken university there

:texan:

olevetonahill
12/29/2008, 09:34 AM
DEf. Keep the Current Jorb . Dont let em Know yer lookin .
Kick Back and Get Ideas for the Future .

85Sooner
1/8/2009, 11:30 AM
There are a few of us Sooners in Austin. Come on down or UP as it were. If they are looking and you don't want to come, I would be interested.

1890MilesToNorman
1/8/2009, 11:43 AM
Stockpile the CASH, at least a years worth. Stop unnecessary spending! You have many, many options with a pile of cash, start your own company or whatever you want to do. Just do it.

OU-HSV
1/26/2009, 09:20 PM

OU alum, marketing major....would like to actually be involved in something i spent those college years working towards! marketing, advertising, PR, even (gulp) sales

currently in the oil & gas industry....it's gotten old to me and i dread going to work each day

any ideas?

I used to be in the newspaper display advertising sales business. I got out of it because I wasn't making the money I needed (and deserved) to be making.
And from talking to all of the people that I know who are still in that business...it's very, very tough right now. No one wants to spend money. Period.
So you might scratch off your list any thought (if you had any thought) about getting into that sort of career path.

Also a friend of mine has recently ventured into the financial sales industry...seems to have been a very bad move.

Anyways, good luck

"MVP"
3/14/2009, 10:32 AM
As been said, not much is available now. As long is your job is decent, stay there. Nothing worse than quiting, not being able to get a job, and making no money. If you get a good opportunity, though, take it.