PDA

View Full Version : SEC DEFENSES

ratedrsuperstar
12/10/2008, 03:33 PM
Could it be that the SEC d's look better than they because the offense's are below par ? Other than Fla. all of the schools have a run first mentality and I think the Gators offense is a lot like the Big XII style of play.

Go look at the scores from the SEC'S non-conference games and you'll be less than impressed with the margin of victory.

HateTheWhorns
12/10/2008, 04:52 PM
Could it be that the SEC d's look better than they because the offense's are below par ? Other than Fla. all of the schools have a run first mentality and I think the Gators offense is a lot like the Big XII style of play.

Go look at the scores from the SEC'S non-conference games and you'll be less than impressed with the margin of victory.

You are absolutely correct. Go check out my threads on pps 2-3 and you'll see the breakdown of the two defenses and the Big XII-SEC OOC schedules. :D

85sooners
12/10/2008, 05:14 PM
:pop:

soonerfan715
12/10/2008, 05:19 PM
I totally agree that the SEC defenses only look so good because of the offenses they are playing against. The fact that 3 of the 4 projected Heisman finalists are QB's from the Big 12 says nothing to the SEC lovers I guess. I hope our boys bring their A game January 8th and kick some Gator butt like I know they can.

HiFiGator
12/10/2008, 05:43 PM
This is a silly argument that will have to wait until January 8th. I honestly think that the truth is somewhere in the middle. If we played in the Big 12, there is no doubt that our offensive stats would look better, nor is there much doubt that our defensive stats would look worse. Similarly, there's little doubt that if Oklahoma played an SEC schedule, their defensive numbers would be better at the expense of their offensive stats.

That being said, it does say something when we have faced a half dozen teams ranked in the top 24 defensively, while the best defense statistically that you have faced is in the 50's (Texas).

I am reminded of the chicken and the egg ...

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/10/2008, 06:03 PM
This is a silly argument that will have to wait until January 8th. I honestly think that the truth is somewhere in the middle. If we played in the Big 12, there is no doubt that our offensive stats would look better, nor is there much doubt that our defensive stats would look worse. Similarly, there's little doubt that if Oklahoma played an SEC schedule, their defensive numbers would be better at the expense of their offensive stats.

That being said, it does say something when we have faced a half dozen teams ranked in the top 24 defensively, while the best defense statistically that you have faced is in the 50's (Texas).

I think you need to look over our schedule over one more time.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/10/2008, 06:12 PM

Total Defense:
TCU #2
Cincinnati #26

kthxbai (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org)

meoveryouxinfinity
12/10/2008, 06:14 PM
I think you need to look over our schedule over one more time.

beat me to it but i didn't leave him wondering :)

SoonerBoognish
12/10/2008, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure if this is totally on topic, but, something just hit me as odd. When you look at Florida's OOC from 2002 to now, they have played a not so diverse OOC schedule.

That might be common knowledge and have no significance, but it is odd to me that their only opponents in the BCS, outside the SEC for 6 seasons were Iowa(twice), Mich.(twice), Ohio State, Miami(4 times) and Florida State(7 times). Of their six bowls in that period, 5 of them were against the Big 10.

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2008, 04:49 AM
Could it be that the SEC d's look better than they because the offense's are below par ?

I think that's pretty much a given.