PDA

View Full Version : House Representative of Texas Joe Barton Proposing a Bill

HBick
12/10/2008, 02:55 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/10/congress.ap/index.html

Do not get me wrong, I hope that a playoff happens, because not only would it be more fair, I think it would benefit the Sooners since they would have only have one off week as opposed to four. But after last year with the guy from Hawaii and now this.

Do people really think that congress has any control over the BCS? They relaxed the restrictions to let schools from the non-bcs conferences in. This was a direct result of increasing pressure from congress. Congress was on the verge of investigating the BCS for anti-trust law violations.

I know the playoff scenario has been beat to death, but I couldn't pass up on this gem, "will prohibit the marketing, promotion, and advertising of a postseason game as a 'national championship' football game, unless it is the result of a playoff system. Violations of the prohibition will be treated as violations of the Federal Trade Commission Act as an unfair or deceptive act or practice."

Any thoughts?

Paperclip
12/10/2008, 02:56 PM
Sure, I have a thought. This is not a role of government and they should keep out of it.

olevetonahill
12/10/2008, 03:07 PM
Sure, I have a thought. This is not a role of government and they should keep out of it.

Ditto
Tell em to **** off dip ****s

FtwTxSooner
12/10/2008, 03:09 PM
There are far more important things going on in this country right now than the state of the college football post-season.

oupride
12/10/2008, 03:12 PM
There are far more important things going on in this country right now than the state of the college football post-season.
FWTx, what happened to you rep man? I agree. May your rep be increased 10 fold and Boomer Sooner!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/10/2008, 03:15 PM
Are you f***ing kidding me? These jokers are supposed to be running a country, not meddling in sports. I was fine with the steroid thing because of the drug implications, but the Spygate and the BCS/Playoff thing is not in their jurisdiction. They need to keep out...by the way, this guy is now on my "I am not going to vote list" since he has nothing better to do with his time except this. Obviously, we need someone else in there willing to work on the hard stuff.

batonrougesooner
12/10/2008, 03:20 PM
Pandering to his constituents.

Wouldn't be doing this if the tables were reversed I imagine.

MamaMia
12/10/2008, 03:20 PM
double post

MamaMia
12/10/2008, 03:22 PM
As a political analyst and campaign consultant/speech writer I can honestly say without reservation that I do not want any stinking' politics mixed in with my off time.

I think we should settle this whole whine fest thing Texas is orchestrating with a paint ball war between the two universities.

batonrougesooner
12/10/2008, 03:25 PM
Pandering to his constituents.

Wouldn't be doing this if the tables were reversed I imagine.

HBick
12/10/2008, 03:34 PM
As a political analyst and campaign consultant/speech writer I can honestly say without reservation that I do not want any stinking' politics mixed in with my off time.

I think we should settle this whole whine fest thing Texas is orchestrating with a paint ball war between the two universities.

Interesting theory, they do outnumber us almost 2 to 1, but hey that doesn't scare me. With the current economy, etc... how do these representatives think they can get away with this stuff. I really hope someone calls him on it.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/10/2008, 03:56 PM
Interesting theory, they do outnumber us almost 2 to 1, but hey that doesn't scare me. With the current economy, etc... how do these representatives think they can get away with this stuff. I really hope someone calls him on it.

Plus you have more spies inmbedded in Texas than they do up there...shhhh, don't tell them where I am at! ;)

Bosley
12/10/2008, 04:07 PM
Wait...you guys think people in Government do work?

virginiasooner
12/10/2008, 04:27 PM
Does Barton represent Austin or something? Frankly, he should be more concerned about his constituents being able to afford college, than meddling in something the Government has ZERO business in.

mfosterftw
12/10/2008, 04:31 PM
http://www.joebarton.house.gov/media/photos/cd109_TX06.gif

SicEmBaylor
12/10/2008, 04:34 PM
Uh, just to clarify something here based on the thread title. Congressman Barton is NOT a member of the Texas House as the title suggests -- he's a member of the United States House of Representatives. He's a US Rep not a State Rep.

richsooner
12/10/2008, 04:42 PM
I'll go out on a limb here with a statement. There is not a politician in the USA right now who has enough intelligence to get one constructive thing done that this country needs. And they want to get involved in collegiate athletics. Morons and Idiots, nothing but morons and idiots. We are in deep s##t...............................

Ike
12/10/2008, 04:55 PM

And I thought we had some badly gerrymandered districts in IL.

Howzit
12/10/2008, 04:58 PM
District 6 appears to be splurting.

Ike
12/10/2008, 04:59 PM
I'll go out on a limb here with a statement. There is not a politician in the USA right now who has enough intelligence to get one constructive thing done that this country needs. And they want to get involved in collegiate athletics. Morons and Idiots, nothing but morons and idiots. We are in deep s##t...............................

Thats probably true...

He's just trying to solve the problems he thinks he is capable of solving. It makes sense. Go with what you are good at. Don't understand the economy? No Problem! We can fix the BCS instead!

SicEmBaylor
12/10/2008, 05:03 PM
And I thought we had some badly gerrymandered districts in IL.

That's not a badly gerrymandered district at all. That's actually a pretty cleanly cut district compared to most.

BoomerJack
12/10/2008, 05:05 PM
Rep. Barton has too much time on his hands and I think he should be told that by the many taxpayers visiting this message board.

WASHINGTON OFFICE
2109 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-2002
(202) 225-3052 fax

ARLINGTON OFFICE
6001 West Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway,
Suite 200
Arlington, Texas 76017
(817) 543-1000
(817) 548-7029 fax

ENNIS OFFICE
2106 A W. Ennis Ave.
Ennis, Texas 75119
(972) 875-8488
(972) 875-1907 fax

CROCKETT OFFICE
303 N. 6th St.
Crockett, TX 75835
(936) 544-8488

Here's link to his website
http://joebarton.house.gov/default.aspx

badger
12/10/2008, 05:06 PM
Don't you loooooooooooove (loathe!) the fact that a Congressman is thinking about football when we're bailing out corporations left and right?

OUAlumni1990
12/10/2008, 05:20 PM
Something tells me that if the shoe were on the other foot, and OU got left out of the NC game even after beating Texas, we would have never heard from this clown. The crying and whining has reached all the way up to the white house. Wow.

bri
12/10/2008, 05:29 PM
"In some years the sport's national championship winner was left unsettled, and at least one school was left out of the many millions of dollars in revenue that accompany the title"

Yeah...Cal in 2004.

Choke on a dick, you worthless Texas f*ckknob.

Soonersince57
12/10/2008, 05:34 PM
Excerpts from the article:

Rep. Joe Barton of Texas

This season, Florida (12-1) and Oklahoma (12-1) will meet in the BCS title game Jan. 8 in Miami.

Barton cited Southern California in 2003 and undefeated Auburn in 2004 as examples of worthy teams left out of the BCS national championship game. (Note: years that OU was in the championship as you know)

He said the bill -- being co-sponsored by Reps. Bobby Rush, an Illinois Democrat, and Michael McCaul, a Texas Republican

All coincidence I'm sure. And yes, the shape of the district is indicative of the issue and the representative.

Howzit
12/10/2008, 05:53 PM

These boundaries are obviously set to fix the erection.

Bradford's Pinky
12/10/2008, 06:14 PM
http://www.collegeotr.com/images/blogs/87b335fa7982c5150caf59d0faad44f5.jpg

SicEmBaylor
12/10/2008, 06:18 PM
Heh, I actually know one of Congressman Barton's Legislative Assistants pretty well.

mfosterftw
12/10/2008, 06:28 PM
Heh, I actually know one of Congressman Barton's Legislative Assistants pretty well.

About 15 years ago it was through Barton's office that my brother got his Academy appointment. Down here he's known as "Smokin' Joe" for his support of the cement plants and other local polluters.

badger
12/10/2008, 06:28 PM
And to think, today was supposed to be a Day Without a Gay...

;)

SicEmBaylor
12/10/2008, 06:30 PM
About 15 years ago it was through Barton's office that my brother got his Academy appointment. Down here he's known as "Smokin' Joe" for his support of the cement plants and other local polluters.

I have issues with the fact that he isn't sufficiently conservative at times, but my issues with him certainly don't include environmental issues.

Learn to wear a face mask and deal with it.

MichiganSooner
12/10/2008, 06:31 PM
Politicians need to stick with what they do best. You know...balancing a budget, running a giant health insurance company for all Americans, running 3 car companies, and other stuff they like to stick their neck into because they are all so brilliant and can do it all better than anyone else.

HBick
12/10/2008, 07:30 PM
I know that the title may be misinterpreted, but when I typed it meant House representative of texas, should of been from texas i guess in retrospect.

okiewaker
12/10/2008, 08:14 PM
Politicians have the "John Wayne" syndrome. Before they start politicking for something in sports, their dumba**es need to step back. Just because they are elected officials doesn't make them correct, although they think so. F**k politicians!!!!!

Curly Bill
12/10/2008, 08:31 PM
I Emailed the congressman and kindly asked that he and his colleagues not screw up one of the best things we have going in this country in college football.

richsooner
12/11/2008, 09:34 AM
Thats probably true...

He's just trying to solve the problems he thinks he is capable of solving. It makes sense. Go with what you are good at. Don't understand the economy? No Problem! We can fix the BCS instead!

Fixing the economy is fairly easy. Leave it to us, the people it all revolves around. The govt. should stay out of it. They can not police everything like they think they can. Leave us alone and we'll be ok (if we can become a little less greedy)............................