PDA

View Full Version : Florida OC Dan Mullen to Mississippi State - confirmed

slickdawg
12/10/2008, 02:15 PM
by ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3760099

Mississippi State will hire Florida offensive coordinator Dan Mullen to be its next head football coach, ESPN.com has learned from sources close to the search.

An announcement is expected later Wednesday. Terms of the deal are not known.

Mullen fits the profile Mississippi State was searching for: a high-energy personality, a strong recruiter and an offensive background. In addition, Mullen knows the SEC after four years working with Urban Meyer in Gainesville -- something that gave him an advantage over another high-profile offensive coordinator interviewed for the job, Oklahoma's Kevin Wilson.

It is unclear whether Mullen will stay with Florida through the FedEx BCS National Championship Game against Oklahoma, a source said.

Prior to coming to Florida, Mullen was Meyer's quarterbacks coach at Utah, where he worked with eventual No. 1 NFL draft pick Alex Smith. At Florida he tutored Chris Leak during the Gators' 2006 national championship campaign and also helped coach Tim Tebow to the 2007 Heisman Trophy and a likely spot as a Heisman finalist this season.

Mullen replaces Sylvester Croom, who was the first African-American head football coach in SEC history. Croom resigned under pressure Nov. 29 after five seasons on the job.

Croom's record at Mississippi State was 20-39. He was SEC Coach of the Year in 2007 after an 8-5 season capped by a Liberty Bowl victory, but the Bulldogs backslid this season to 3-9 and were again woeful offensively.

In Croom's five years, Mississippi State's offense was ranked in triple digits every year out of 119 teams (120 the past two years, since Western Kentucky joined the FBS). Meanwhile, Mullen's spread attack at Florida ranked third nationally in scoring and 18th in total offense.

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/10/2008, 02:18 PM
YES!

1890MilesToNorman
12/10/2008, 02:20 PM
I like it, a distraction for the Gators.

Hot Rod
12/10/2008, 02:22 PM
Yup, better them than us.

CK Sooner
12/10/2008, 02:22 PM
This is great news.

Hopefully we have him a couple more years.

oumartin
12/10/2008, 02:24 PM
finally, someone else loses an assistant before playin' in the BCS champ. game.

oh, and is Jonathan Hayes still coaching the bengals?

We need his butt back here regardless of price.. he was a great special teams coach

sooner94
12/10/2008, 02:29 PM
Starting to remind me of 2000 vs. FSU.

1. Lack of respect
2. They lose their OC (didn't Richt leave before the game that year?)
3. Underdogs (see #1 above)- although not as by much

OUMallen
12/10/2008, 02:32 PM
YES!

SoonR4Life
12/10/2008, 02:34 PM
Great News!

BOOMER SOONER!

olevetonahill
12/10/2008, 02:36 PM
I really hate to hear this .
I dont want any excuses If and when we Beat them .
Plus the Fact that WV lost their HC before our Game last year .

birddog
12/10/2008, 02:36 PM
can you say distracsheown? great news. i don't know why you'd be so desperate to leave florida for miss. st. unless urban is just too unbearable to work with.

Salt City Sooner
12/10/2008, 02:39 PM

1. Lack of respect
He had already taken the UGA job, but he stayed on for the Orange Bowl.

HiFiGator
12/10/2008, 02:41 PM
That distraction factor would only matter if Mullen leaves now. Although it isn't official, the buzz down here is that he will coach through the title game. Congrats to him, and I wish him well. He has done a lot to help the Florida program, but I think he could have held out for a better job. The SEC is brutal and winning in Starkeville is very, very difficult. The SEC west still has Bobby Petrino, Les Miles, Houston Nutt and Nick Saban in addition to whomever comes in for Tubberville.

oupride
12/10/2008, 02:42 PM
Yup, better them than us.

Ditto

Collier11
12/10/2008, 02:43 PM
Doesnt matter, who cares.

WV lost their HC and beat the crap out of us
WE lost Mikey and our D still shut down LSU

1890MilesToNorman
12/10/2008, 02:44 PM

Come on Vet, if you can turn tatters into shine you can turn this in to wine.

LSU
USC
BOISE
WV

Were all flukes!!!

Get wid-da program. :D

oupride
12/10/2008, 02:45 PM

No one made any excuses for us when Mike Stoops left before the CCG in 2003 and record books do not remember it either.

Okie35
12/10/2008, 02:46 PM
I also heard that Mullen won't coach in the game and that Florida's DC Charlie Strong is in talks w/ UCF about the head coaching job.

SoonerBoognish
12/10/2008, 02:46 PM
Oh wow, i feel a dark cloud lifting off my mind. Not only did we dodge a bullet, it may have whizzed by and hit Florida.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/10/2008, 02:50 PM

I'm not celebrating that Florida is losing a coordinator. I'm celebrating that we're NOT! (yet!)

Okie35
12/10/2008, 02:50 PM
That distraction factor would only matter if Mullen leaves now. Although it isn't official, the buzz down here is that he will coach through the title game. Congrats to him, and I wish him well. He has done a lot to help the Florida program, but I think he could have held out for a better job. The SEC is brutal and winning in Starkeville is very, very difficult. The SEC west still has Bobby Petrino, Les Miles, Houston Nutt and Nick Saban in addition to whomever comes in for Tubberville.

Someone from UF just told me he may not coach this game. So its pretty much a toss up. I mean he'll have to deal w/ recruiting for Miss. State and various other things which will be a major distraction.

My Opinion Matters
12/10/2008, 02:53 PM
Eh, I don't think it's really significant. I don't see it being that detrimental to Florida, that's Urban Meyer's offense anyway.

olevetonahill
12/10/2008, 02:59 PM
Come on Vet, if you can turn tatters into shine you can turn this in to wine.

LSU
USC
BOISE
WV

Were all flukes!!!

Get wid-da program. :D

Its Corn ya Idjit, I use taters fer cooking and Vodka :D

Paperclip
Who's been calling plays? I'm sure Meyer could do it for the game even if he hasn't been this season.

JLEW1818
Advantage Sooners. (if any)

olevetonahill
12/10/2008, 03:03 PM
Advantage Sooners. (if any)

Yall dont get me wrong here . Any distraction will be helpful .
I still Believe this Is gonna be a Hell of a Game .

1890MilesToNorman
12/10/2008, 03:08 PM
Its Corn ya Idjit, I use taters fer cooking and Vodka :D

Sorry, I thought you was a miracle worker? I got it now, taters=vodka (damn Russian) taters and onion=dinner.

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 03:10 PM

Agree, I don't think it will matter too much.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/10/2008, 03:10 PM

I see leadership at just about every position on this team. I see seniors with their last chance to make a mark in Sooner history. I see a defense that can and will step up when challenged/ questioned. I see a team that is MUCH more consistent and focused on the road. I see #8. :O

Partial Qualifier
12/10/2008, 03:16 PM
Oh wow, i feel a dark cloud lifting off my mind. Not only did we dodge a bullet, it may have whizzed by and hit Florida.

Very well said!

O-town Gator
12/10/2008, 03:19 PM
I also heard that Mullen won't coach in the game and that Florida's DC Charlie Strong is in talks w/ UCF about the head coaching job.

According to ESPN it hasn't been confirmed as to whether or not he will be coaching in the bowl game yet, so nothing's definite.

As far as UCF goes, George O'Leary is still the head coach even though there was a call from a local Orlando sportswriter (Mike Bianchi, who's very controversial) for his ouster.

olevetonahill
12/10/2008, 03:19 PM
I see leadership at just about every position on this team. I see seniors with their last chance to make a mark in Sooner history. I see a defense that can and will step up when challenged/ questioned. I see a team that is MUCH more consistent and focused on the road. I see #8. :O

Yes Madam Swammie :D
I like yer Seeing .:cool:

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/10/2008, 03:29 PM
I really do not see him staying through the bowl game when he has to recruit in the same conference. He's already behind the 8 ball with an inferior program to the powerhouses in recruiting in a strong conference. I am happy about this for one reason........WE KEEP KEVIN WILSON(for the time being)!

meoveryouxinfinity
12/10/2008, 03:35 PM
Yes Madam Swammie :D
I like yer Seeing .:cool:

yea well my vision is only 20/40 so we'll "see" ;)

tooslow
12/10/2008, 03:38 PM
It appears Kevin Wilson turned it down. Mullen was their second choice. Whew!!

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11163923

Florida offensive coordinator Dan Mullen will be the new coach at Mississippi State, CBSSports.com has learned.

Mullen took the job after Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson turned it down Tuesday or early Wednesday, according to a source familiar with the process.

Mullen, 36, will take over for Sylvester Croom, leaving Urban Meyer's side after eight seasons.

Mullen is credited with helping develop Alex Smith, an NFL No. 1 draft choice, while at Utah. Mullen coached Chris Leak during Florida's national championship season, and for the last three seasons he has been the offensive coordinator for Tim Tebow.

It is not clear what Mullen's duties with Florida will be going forward. He is part of a staff that is preparing for its second national championship game in three seasons.

GatorTD
12/10/2008, 03:40 PM
Who's been calling plays? I'm sure Meyer could do it for the game even if he hasn't been this season.

Mullen has indeed called the plays since arriving in 2005. He has taken alot of heat as the Florida play caller during his tenure.. he basically gets all the blame when we lose. But hes a huge part of the coaching staff. If we lose him for the bowl game, then I'm fairly certain we will not have an experienced offensive play caller on the staff. Im not sure if Urban has ever called plays or not, to be honest.

The biggest thing we will miss is his ability to coach the quarterback during the bowl prep. This is a guy who coached Alex Smith to a #1 draft slot, did a great job saving what he could with Chris Leak, and coached Tim Tebow to a Heisman in his first full year.

Like mentioned before..This has the same parallel to Richt 'leaving' FSU before the FSU/OU Orange Bowl. As a Gator fan, it scares the absolute crap out of me.

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 03:40 PM
jeepers

Paperclip
12/10/2008, 03:46 PM
Mullen has indeed called the plays since arriving in 2005. He has taken alot of heat as the Florida play caller during his tenure.. he basically gets all the blame when we lose. But hes a huge part of the coaching staff. If we lose him for the bowl game, then I'm fairly certain we will not have an experienced offensive play caller on the staff. Im not sure if Urban has ever called plays or not, to be honest.

The biggest thing we will miss is his ability to coach the quarterback during the bowl prep. This is a guy who coached Alex Smith to a #1 draft slot, did a great job saving what he could with Chris Leak, and coached Tim Tebow to a Heisman in his first full year.

Like mentioned before..This has the same parallel to Richt 'leaving' FSU before the FSU/OU Orange Bowl. As a Gator fan, it scares the absolute crap out of me.

Meyer's main experience is on the offensive side of the ball though?

tpapablo
12/10/2008, 03:47 PM
Personally, I am glad to see him go. I didn't think he was that good. The play calling and use of personnel was abysmal until after the Ole Miss loss. I have a feeling that Meyer stepped in after that loss. To this day, I believe it was Meyer who schemed the offense against OSU in the BCS game. The offensive scheme used in that game barely resembled what we had run prior to that game. Myer designed this offense. Mullen was the quarterbacks coach at Utah before he became OC at UF. I believe that this helps us.

AZSOONER
12/10/2008, 03:51 PM
I don't care about distractions or excuses, I just want the win. Florida bus could break down on the way to game and they forfeit at this point. I just want #8. (ok, maybe I don't want to win by forfeit, but I really really want this win)

tooslow
12/10/2008, 03:52 PM
He has taken alot of heat as the Florida play caller during his tenure.. he basically gets all the blame when we lose. But hes a huge part of the coaching staff.

So he's our Brent Venables, but on the other side of the ball. :D

Cappy
12/10/2008, 03:53 PM
I really do not see him staying through the bowl game when he has to recruit in the same conference. He's already behind the 8 ball with an inferior program to the powerhouses in recruiting in a strong conference. I am happy about this for one reason........WE KEEP KEVIN WILSON(for the time being)!

Sarkisian is staying at USC for their game though and he is going to Washington...pretty similar, aside from it being the real "grandaddy of them all" that we are playing for ;)

It is nice to see Kevin Wilson staying as well. I want him to be here for the next QB as well.

GatorTD
12/10/2008, 03:58 PM

It is.

SLOgator
12/10/2008, 04:07 PM
It also appears that we are losing our DC, Charley Strong, to UCF. Not really good timing, but good for the coaches' careers.
Hopefully, both will coach through the big game and attend the victory party...

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 04:09 PM
Link?

olevetonahill
12/10/2008, 04:10 PM
It also appears that we are losing our DC, Charley Strong, to UCF. Not really good timing, but good for the coaches' careers.
Hopefully, both will coach through the big game and attend the consolation party...

Fixed :D

Mr2Cents
12/10/2008, 04:12 PM

Affirmative. I am of the opinion that Meyer is far more conservative than Mullen. To wit, he stated he'd have much rather let Tebow carry the ball 50 times during the mudfest in Tallahassee, but trusted the judgment of Dan Mullen, who had Tebow slinging it all over the field with great success that day.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in regarding who formed the initial braintrust with Meyer in concocting the offensive scheme. I want to say it might have been his OC at Bowling Green or Utah (Mike Sanford?). Mullen came along later - as QB coach while Meyer was at Utah.

I'm very happy for Mullen but, man, what a body blow for Florida at a critical time. I feel like Dennis Weaver when his radiator hose burst towards the end of Duel. :eek:

O-town Gator
12/10/2008, 04:15 PM
Hopefully, both will coach through the big game and attend the victory party...

Again, that "Strong to UCF" thing is only a rumor.

Widescreen
12/10/2008, 04:20 PM

Ultimately though, how much prep does Tebow really need? This is his 3rd year and he doesn't exactly suck. To me, the gameday playcalling would be the bigger issue for you guys.

GatorTD
12/10/2008, 04:31 PM
So he's our Brent Venables, but on the other side of the ball. :D
Yep..except without the wicked cool black hoodie.

Ultimately though, how much prep does Tebow really need? This is his 3rd year and he doesn't exactly suck. To me, the gameday playcalling would be the bigger issue for you guys.

Overall..not much. However, Id rather have a great QB coach showing Tebow tenancies and keys of the OU defense than just letting him coast in on what he knows.

Paperclip
12/10/2008, 04:40 PM
I feel like Dennis Weaver when his radiator hose burst towards the end of Duel. :eek:

Wow. Nice reference. You know Weaver's an Okie, right? :)

OUinFLA
12/10/2008, 05:13 PM
Im thinkin Teabow is qualified to pretty much call his own game.
Especially with his experience. Last year...... maybe not.
He's a real leader.
And he's the real deal.

Mr2Cents
12/10/2008, 06:06 PM
Wow. Nice reference. You know Weaver's an Okie, right? :)

No kidding? I did not. Glad someone got the reference; one of my favorite films of all time.

My initial reaction to the news is to freak the hell out, but I've not heard whether he's staying through the bowl game or not. Given the task ahead of him at Moo State, he'd probably be wise to start packing for Starkville immediately.

Paperclip
12/10/2008, 06:18 PM
No kidding? I did not. Glad someone got the reference; one of my favorite films of all time.

Well, more to the point, he went to OU. I don't think he's actually from Oklahoma. It bothers me that in your analogy we're the semi. I remember how that movie ended. :mad:

:)

Mr2Cents
12/10/2008, 06:35 PM
Well, more to the point, he went to OU. I don't think he's actually from Oklahoma. It bothers me that in your analogy we're the semi. I remember how that movie ended. :mad:

:)

Saaaaay ..... good catch. We might be in decent shape after all, LOL.

OK2LA
12/10/2008, 07:20 PM
According to ESPN it hasn't been confirmed as to whether or not he will be coaching in the bowl game yet, so nothing's definite.

As far as UCF goes, George O'Leary is still the head coach even though there was a call from a local Orlando sportswriter (Mike Bianchi, who's very controversial) for his ouster.

Any chance your defensive coordinator would be interested in the Notre Dame job?

meoveryouxinfinity
12/10/2008, 07:23 PM
paperclip! stop conversing with the enemy!

sozo
12/10/2008, 09:56 PM

1. Lack of respect

Exactly.:)