PDA

View Full Version : Sam now at least considering Nfl.

adoniijahsooner
12/10/2008, 03:58 AM
This news has killed my championship buzz.

http://newsok.com/ous-sam-bradford-will-consider-nfl/article/3329043?custom_click=pod_headline_ou-football

olevetonahill
12/10/2008, 04:39 AM
He would be a Fool to Not Consider it . And Sam Aint no Fool .

OUHOMER
12/10/2008, 05:47 AM
Yep, he has to look at it.

DMAFB_Sooner08
12/10/2008, 05:58 AM
Why do we always feel these guys owe us all 4 years of their eligibility? If someone offered me even 6 figures to leave my current job and go to the next level in my career it would be awefully hard to say no. Sam has been a great athlete, a great sooner, and a great ambassador to the sport and the state of Oklahoma. Whatever he decides I am sure he will be well informed, so good luck Sam in whatever you decide...Thanks

soonergooner
12/10/2008, 06:33 AM
Sam is and always will be a SOONER. If that situation is best for him, he should and will go. That will not mean we will not miss him or some misguided fans might question.
I have no doubt, whatever happens, he will be totally prepared and focused to lead us to our Jan 8 victory. His resolve and dedication will lead this fabulous team not only for the rest of this season, but the rest of their lives.
What a fine man this boy has become and we should all be grateful for having whatever time we have had/will have with him at the helm.
He puts the HARD in hard to humble...

swardboy
12/10/2008, 06:48 AM
I can't imagine any NFL scout, gm, or coach counseling him to stay another year. They're drooling right now.

The potential rookie cap looms, and may mean millions in lost money if he waits......

adoniijahsooner
12/10/2008, 06:50 AM
This will have a ripple effect for our offense,because most likely Gresham and Murray will follow suit. You guys are right, but being a oklahoma sooner fan, sometimes you only think about your team. I hate pro football, and I don't necessarily believe that more money= a better life. Many of these athletes say that they wish they would have finished their last year of play. Warrick Dunn will always be the college athlete that I judge others by, because he lost his mother to gun violence, had little money, but still made a decision to finish school, saying "I have been broke for all of these years, so what is one more year." I do understand that everyone has to do what is best for them, but I am allowed my opinion and to display frustration at sooner icons leaving us early.

mojohornfan
12/10/2008, 07:13 AM
He's a hell of a QB and should be taken as the 1st or 2nd QB in the draft. He'd be crazy not to leave. Look at leinart. Bet he wishes he'd left. Plus, don't you guys lose a lot of his protection next year???

Jacie
12/10/2008, 08:17 AM
And then he can come back and buy the law school . . .

TXBOOMER
12/10/2008, 08:17 AM
I wish Sam would go visit Detroit. Actually seeing that place would make him decide to stay another year.

PujolsFan
12/10/2008, 08:33 AM
As much as I'd LOVE for Sam to finish up his 4 yrs at OU... I know that the Vikings are in NEED of a good QB to push that offense over the top. Hmmm... I'd LOVE to see SB and AD playing in the same backfield for the next 5-10 years!

SoonerJack
12/10/2008, 08:58 AM
As much as I'd LOVE for Sam to finish up his 4 yrs at OU... I know that the Vikings are in NEED of a good QB to push that offense over the top. Hmmm... I'd LOVE to see SB and AD playing in the same backfield for the next 5-10 years!

As a long-time Viking fan, this idea makes me all warm and fuzzy.

swardboy
12/10/2008, 09:01 AM
As a long-time Viking fan, this idea makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Then the Vikings better fall apart now. They're leading their division.

BornandBred
12/10/2008, 09:16 AM
I realize that they're out of the question, draft wise, but I think he'd be a good fit in Arizona's offense.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 09:20 AM
I'm sure his dad and Heupel will get him the best information and he'll make a good decision.

birddog
12/10/2008, 09:32 AM
i wish bradford could be one of those players that people say, "seems like he's in his 12th year of elgibility."

if you get a great one in this day and age, they don't stay around too long.

boomermagic
12/10/2008, 09:33 AM
I posted in the thread yesterday that Sam is gone.. It is just that simple.. I laughed when I read those posts from people who were saying he would be back.. We will have Landry Jones behind center next season.. The Orange bowl will be the last time Sam puts on an OU uniform.. It is sad but true.. Good luck to him...

StoopTroup
12/10/2008, 09:55 AM
STEP....

That is the best post on here so far IMO. Not that Sam isn't capable of making the final decision to go...it's just that he has some really wise folks behind him. He's going to probably be torn even if he decides to leave IMO. I think most of this is designed to stop the questioning so he can work on dismantling the Gator D. First things first is what really makes the timing of such a Life Changing Event become the right decision.

Till then....it's probably "GAME ON!"

I'm sure his dad and Heupel will get him the best information and he'll make a good decision.

kevpks
12/10/2008, 10:59 AM
I think the Rams would be the best fit for him of the god awful teams this year:
Detroit- We have already given too many good Sooners to your worthless franchise
Cleveland- They already have their face of the franchise in Brady Quinn and that is why they are the Browns.
Cincy- They're set with Palmer
Kansas City- They have Thigpen and while he is not a long term solution my guess would be they would try to fill other needs
Oakland- Too soon to give up on Russell
Seattle- Hasselback

The Rams would allow for him to stay reasonably close to home. Plus all those Mizzou fans get to see Bradford slinging touchdown passes against someone other than them.

I hope Sam stays but if his college career feels complete after he wins the Big XII, the Heisman and the National Championship I can't say I'd be too dissapointed.

DrZaius
12/10/2008, 11:09 AM
Good for Sammy!

He should explore all options just like anyone else would in their career path.

Wishboned
12/10/2008, 11:11 AM
If he leaves, then as a Sooner fan I'll be disappointed, but I'll be cheering for him next year no matter if it's on Saturday, or Sunday.

Sam's a special kind of athlete. And he's done nothing but great things for the Sooners, both on and off the field.

Paperclip
12/10/2008, 11:13 AM
Why do we always feel these guys owe us all 4 years of their eligibility? If someone offered me even 6 figures to leave my current job and go to the next level in my career it would be awefully hard to say no.

I agree. And in this case it's more like eight figures.

Knippz
12/10/2008, 11:21 AM
I'm seriously about to cry.

The ONLY way that I would be able to get over Sammy leaving, is if miraculously, the Vikings pick him up. I would sh*t my pants.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/10/2008, 11:21 AM
Just as everyone else, as a Sooner fan, I will be disappointed and start looking forward to 4 years with Landry but will yell as loud as anyone for OUr QB in the league. By the quote of him saying he thinks he knows what he wants but wants to explore, it sounds like he's leaning to staying but keeping an open mind. Sam is a bright kid and will do what's best for him and that's all we can ask. He is a Sooner but he's a Bradford first. The only knock I've heard from NFL scouts on him is he still hasn't filled out. He has room to get a bigger frame and that could come in the next few years. This may be a reason to stay because his talent and intangibles aren't going anywhere. He'll be a top 5 pick in the next 3 drafts for which ever one he chooses to come out in. Personal prediction, he stays this year and leaves after next season. But nothing but the best for Sam and hope he makes the best decision for him and his family.

rainiersooner
12/10/2008, 11:24 AM
Seattle- Hasselback

I think Hasselback only has two years left in him. It seems to me that wherever Sam goes he will need some development; does anyone think he would start right away in the NFL?

Knippz
12/10/2008, 11:28 AM
I would lose faith in Sam's decision making if he came out and went to Detroit.

- CaliBornSoonerBred

Crimson_Balls
12/10/2008, 11:48 AM
If he wins (2) Big XII Championships, A Heisman Trophy, and a BCS National Championship, what else is there to play for?

They are putting a salary cap on draft signing bonusus next season. This is his last shot to win the lottery. He should go get his 25 million dollar signing bonus and his annual salary. He can always go back to school after he retires from the league.

Plus his O-line is going to the NFL this draft. Who will protect him next season?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 11:52 AM
I would lose faith in Sam's decision making if he came out and went to Detroit.

- CaliBornSoonerBred

I doubt detroit will take a skills position player with the 1st pick

tommieharris91
12/10/2008, 11:54 AM

Ohh hell no. I have enough trouble watching AD tear through the Bears as is. The Bears could use a QB though.

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2008, 11:55 AM
I doubt detroit will take a skills position player with the 1st pick

Sure they will - they'll take another WR :P

swardboy
12/10/2008, 11:56 AM
KC w/Bradley...a couple of years behind Thigpen. Nice.
Chicago w/Tommie and Dusty...ok.

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 11:59 AM
Finally people start to realize this.... This has been talked about a million times, and Sam would be a fool not to leave. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute.

You come back for your RS Junior season. You lose your entire OLINE, Your 2 best WR. Most Likely your tight end. Maybe Kevin Wilson.....

Why stay, why

A-M
12/10/2008, 12:00 PM
If he wins (2) Big XII Championships, A Heisman Trophy, and a BCS National Championship, what else is there to play for?

They are putting a salary cap on draft signing bonusus next season. This is his last shot to win the lottery. He should go get his 25 million dollar signing bonus and his annual salary. He can always go back to school after he retires from the league.

Plus his O-line is going to the NFL this draft. Who will protect him next season?

I agree with you on this. If I were he, it would be very difficult for me to stay after winning the MNC this year. Personally, I do hope he stays, but at this time I would not place a bet on it eather way.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 12:05 PM
If he knows he will be taken that high, he would be a fool to stay. I still don't see a quarterback going that high, but I dont know.

I can tell you who Kent and Josh won't be meeting with to find out information..Todd McShay, Mel Kiper, any of the ESPN crew, anybody at Rivals, or all the other people that we base our opinions on dealing with where he is projected.

Nobody knows where he will go until probably late this month, more likely early January.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
I'm seriously about to cry.

The ONLY way that I would be able to get over Sammy leaving, is if miraculously, the Vikings pick him up. I would sh*t my pants.

The only way SB would become a Viking is if they give up a buncha future drafts to move up to No. 1 in the draft. Being a Packer fan I don't want to see him in Detroit. Don't want the divisional rival and Detroit will probably always suck.

Oakland would be equally as bad. That place is a zoo, and I don't mean the fans.

JLEW1818
It's not even about what else to play for in my opinion. This is about the NFL, a business. You get paid millions of dollars to play a kids game. The only thing that scares me about Sam leaving is, the Senior class this year is absolutely horrible, horrible, quarterback wise. Tebow and McCoy are not NFL quality QB's. Sam is. Why people are obsessed with Stafford, IDK? I hear he has a NFL type body and arm, maybe he does, that is not my department.

Yes Sam is having a great year. But the main reason people are talking about his draft status so much is because all the QB's older then him are not as good as him.

How many times in the history of Football has a RS Sophomore QB entered the draft? ..... Vick?

But then again, how many times has a RS soph had these type numbers and size.

soonervegas
12/10/2008, 12:06 PM
If OU win's January 8th Sam can go to the NFL and us fans can bask in the glow of the 2008 high above Owen field as we rebuild towards another run in 2010-2011.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 12:07 PM
Next year's class is pretty empty too..

I tell you where I think Sam would flourish if they stayed in their current system..Indianapolis

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 12:10 PM
He just seems so young ..... but then again he just turned 21. More power to him.

Knippz
12/10/2008, 12:30 PM
Next year's class is pretty empty too..

I tell you where I think Sam would flourish if they stayed in their current system..Indianapolis

I've been saying this since we went to the no-huddle. That would no doubt be the best place for Sammy to take up the QB position.

The only problem with that is - I don't see Manning leaving for the next 6-9 years. Dude's a monster.

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 12:32 PM
Yep, Peyton is only 32.

swardboy
12/10/2008, 12:32 PM
Just another mock draft to consider:

1. Detroit Lions - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
The Lions have only used one first-round pick on a defensive player since 1999, but this could be a great opportunity for Detroit to begin adding some much-needed high-end defensive talent to the roster. The Lions used their first round pick last year on Boston College OT Gosder Cherilus, so it would seem unlikely that the team would use the top pick in the draft on another top-notch lineman, even though this draft will be loaded at the position. It seems most likely that the pick would come down to QB or defense, and without a Matt Ryan type breakout signal caller in the mix (at least for now), I'd think that Detroit would go defense.
At 6'7" 260, Johnson is a mammoth presence at the defensive end position. It's likely to be either Johnson or Texas DE Brian Orakpo as the first defensive lineman to go in the draft, with USF junior DE George Selvie a possibility as well if he leaves South Florida early. I give the nod to Johnson based on his height edge on Orakpo (6'7" compared with 6'4") and his slight speed advantage, though that speed edge could change at the combine and in private workouts.
2. Kansas City Chiefs - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia *
Time are tough for NFL fans in Missouri. And, for the Chiefs, it may be time to give up on the idea of any QBs on their current roster being the long-term answer for the team.
The QB picture is quite blurred at the moment, with no can't miss seniors at the position (with Texas Tech's Graham Harrell arguably the best prospect there) and a variety of draft-eligible quarterbacks who could go pro early. There are several players who could end up as the first QB taken: Texas' Colt McCoy, Florida's Tim Tebow, and Oklahoma's Sam Bradford.
I give the nod (for now) to Stafford based on his great arm strength and his overall NFL quality frame (6'3" 235 pounds). But there are a number of factors that could easily change this between now and April.
3. Cincinnati Bengals - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
This is a great draft at offensive tackle, something that could prove quite tempting for the Bengals at this position. There are multiple positions that the Bengals could opt to go with, but adding a freakishly good offensive tackle like Oher would be a great move for Cincinnati.
The Ole Miss left tackle is an outstanding pass blocker, and despite a difficult past (http://tinyurl.com/nztkt) he has turned into one of the nation's best college offensive linemen. Some people view Oher as the best offensive tackle prospect in the nation, particularly with his improved run blocking making him even more of a valuable player.
4. Seattle Seahawks - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech *
Michael Crabtree is considered by many experts to be the top wide receiver in the country. His performance on national TV in hauling in the game-winning TD catch for the Red Raiders in their win over Texas certainly brought him plenty of attention, but Crabtree is an overall solid player who is quite possibly the best sophomore-eligible NFL wide receiver prospect to come along since Larry Fitzgerald in 2004.
5. St. Louis Rams - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virgina
The Rams have struggled severely so far this season, to the point where they showed head coach Scott Linehan the door, and that has come despite solid play so far from left tackle Orlando Pace. It has to be disheartening for Pace, who was with the team with the Rams' only Super Bowl win in January 2000, to be suffering through another dismal campaign to go with last season.
And while Pace is under contract through 2011, his base salary is steep: $5.975 million in 2009, $7.175 million in 2010, and $8.375 million in 2011. Pace turns 33 in November, and while he is a talented player, his presence on the roster is not necessarily an indication that the Rams would pass on an offensive tackle with a high first round pick.
6. San Francisco 49ers - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama *
The idea of three offensive linemen going in the first six spots might seem like a stretch, but we could see major depth at the position if Smith enters the draft early. The 49ers could plug in Smith right away and have a long-term solution for the left offensive tackle position. Joe Staley is a good talent already on the roster for the 49ers, but he could move back to right tackle (where he played as a rookie in 2007) if a player like Smith is brought on board.
This would probably be a good spot for the 49ers to consider trading down from, particularly with elite CB and ILB talent likely to be on the board at this position. If Michael Crabtree falls to this position, I imagine the 49ers would leap at the chance to draft him.
7. Oakland Raiders - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
Orakpo could end up as the #1 overall pick in the draft -- it's not a lock at Georgia Tech DE Michael Johnson would go ahead of him. The Raiders have rather desperate need for an elite defensive end, and Orakpo would fit the bill on that.
8. Houston Texans - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
Texans CB Dunta Robinson is a pending unrestricted free agent. If the Texans don't use the franchise tag on him, he could easily be snatched up in early March.
If things play out that way, a player like Jenkins would be a logical pickup. He would have been a likely first round pick had he come out for the 2008 Draft, but at this point Jenkins has the look of being by far the best corner who will be in the 2009 Draft.
9. San Diego Chargers - Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
A playmaker who can cover sideline-to-sideline, Maualuga would be a great addition to the Chargers. Adding a player with his passion, skill, and instinct would only help San Diego's defensive front seven. 20 pounds lighter than James Laurinaitis, Maualuga is quicker than his Ohio State counterpart and Maualuga could be especially effective in a 3-4 defense.
10. Jacksonville Jaguars - James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio and MLB Mike Peterson have had a falling out, to the point where Peterson (a team captain) had his status as a starter stripped. Peterson, who turns 33 this summer, will be entering unrestricted free agency and seems very unlikely to return to Jacksonville.
Laurinaitis would likely have been a top 15 pick if he had turned pro last year, and with another year of seasoning he seems like an even stronger prospect.
11. Cleveland Browns - Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest *
It's rare that you find a player with Curry's mix of great size (6'2" 250) and tremendous instinct and quickness (he recorded 13.5 tackles for a loss in 2007). Curry has been moving up draft boards, and with good reason as his play on the field has been consistent and strong.
12. Green Bay Packers - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
Smith tied Dre Bly for the ACC all-time career interception list with a pick over Vanderbilt. Smith is a speedy player with outstanding coverage skills and a knack for finding the ball, the kind of corner who would be a great addition to the Green Bay secondary. The one downside is that Smith is only 5'9", which could end up causing some teams to pass on him.

13. Philadelphia Eagles - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
Eagle offensive tackles Jon Runyan and Tra Thomas are both slated to be unrestricted free agents after this season, and odds are that at least one (if not both) will be leaving. Luckily for Philadelphia this is a very deep draft at offensive tackle, and a player like Baylor's Jason Smith could be a wonderful addition to the team. 14. Buffalo Bills - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois *
Part of the Ron Zook recruiting bonanza, Davis is a highly-touted athlete with an older brother already in the NFL (49ers TE Vernon Davis) and the skills to perform right away. Davis runs a 4.4ish 40, and at 6'0" 205 pounds he has the size to play the corner position to its fullest in the NFL. He might not be the type of guy who you'd plug in right away, but Davis could easily evolve into being a top NFL cornerback.
15. Denver Broncos - Taylor Mays, FS, USC *
At 6'3" 230 pounds, Mays is an impressive athlete who has all the physical tools to be an elite safety at the pro level. His closing speed is impressive, which should help him in defending the run. And passing over the middle? He might not hit quite like former USC safety Darnell Bing, but Mays is a physical phenom who will make most QBs throwing in his general direction pay.
For the Broncos, a team that no longer has the now-retired John Lynch at safety, Mays would bring help in a major way to a defense that could certainly use it.
16. Miami Dolphins - Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
Somewhat overlooked due to the presence of Rey Maualuga at USC, Cushing is a skilled outside linebacker. The Dolphins have had an impressive turnaround in just one season, and by adding a few more parts, they could find themselves going from doormat to contender.
A player like Cushing from the OLB spot in a 3-4 defense would be quite interesting. At 6'4" 255 he has solid size, and if the Dolphins believe him to be fast enough to bring the pash rush when needed, he could be a great value pick at this spot.
17. Chicago Bears - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma *
The Bears are long overdue for an overhaul at the quarterback position. This off-season you could see them do one of two things: bring in a veteran (Donovan McNabb, Kerry Collins, etc.) or go for a franchise quarterback via the draft. And, if he's available, Oklahoma's Sam Bradford fits the bill as being a franchise quarterback.
He's just a redshirt sophomore, so there is always the strong probability that Bradford will return to Norman for his junior season. But if he opts to turn pro, Bradford could find himself in Chicago, most realistically projecting to play the apprentice role in 2009 before taking the starting job in 2010.
18. New Orleans Saints - Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia
Remember: if MLB Jonathan Vilma plays in 85% of the Saints' defensive snaps (appears likely to happen) *and* if the Saints re-sign him prior to Vilma becoming an unrestricted free agent, this pick would go to the Giants (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/22/giants-could-get-a-first-rounder-for-shockey/). I'm not sure what happens if the Saints use the franchise tag on Vilma.
It's most likely that neither James Laurinaitis nor Rey Maualuga, the two runaway MLB prospects in this draft, will be on the board when this pick comes up. So if the Saints decide not to sign Vilma to a new deal (or if he simply is unable to come to terms with the team), that leaves a sizable hole in the middle of the team's linebacker corps.
The Saints have Scott Fujita and Scott Shanle at the OLB spots now, but Fujita's contract ends after next season. Moreover, both Fujita and Shanle turn 30 next year, and an up-and-coming talent like Sintim could be a great pickup for the Saints.
19. Minnesota Vikings - William Moore, FS, Missouri
The emergence of USC FS Taylor Mays as a potential NFL prospect has bumped Moore down a bit in his draft projection spot, though keep in mind that Mays could opt to return to Los Angeles for his senior year at USC. If that happens, at least in theory William Moore would move up the board.
It's true that the quarterback position is a situation that must be addressed by the Vikings, but they seem like a team that would benefit much more by acquiring a veteran QB than by drafting a rookie with a look for the spot. As tempting as Tim Tebow might be in this spot, a safety with Moore's skill would be the better move for Minnesota in looking toward 2009.
20. Atlanta Falcons - Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati
The Falcons, who traded CB DeAngelo Hall to Oakland earlier this year (in a disastrous move for the Raiders in hindsight), could use an elite playmaker at the corner position. Mickens has sub 4.5 speed to go with 6'0" height. And while his weight is a mere 190 pounds, he isn't afraid to be a physical player, particularly one who has good instincts in defending the run from the corner position.
21. New England Patriots - Jamon Meredith, OT/OG, South Carolina
Meredith is a three-year starter who missed the first two games of 2008 for South Carolina because of an NCAA ruling regarding his redshirt season.
Meredith is a natural offensive tackle, but he also has the capacity to play guard. The Patriots could use additional depth on their offensive line, particularly in anticipation of Tom Brady's return in 2009, and a player like Meredith would be a logical addition to the team.
22. Indianapolis Colts - Alex Mack, C, California
Part of a strong crop of players at center, Mack is a skilled player who is talented at snapping (be it shotgun or traditional) and blocking. The Colts have veteran center Jeff Saturday on their roster, but he turns 34 before the 2009 season starts and he will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.
23. Arizona Cardinals - Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State *
This may seem like a low spot for Wells to go as the first running back taken in the 2009 NFL Draft, but when you look at the team needs of the squads with picks above this spot, it makes sense. Teams like Houston managed to fill running back needs in the super-deep 2008 Draft, which could cause a talent like Wells to drop to this spot. Remember when Steven Jackson fell to the #24 spot in the 2004 draft? We might see something similar in 2009.
24. Washington Redskins - George Selvie, DE, USF *
Selvie routinely sees double-teams on an almost every-play basis at USF, yet he still finds a way to get to the quarterback. His stats aren't the same in 2008 as they were in 2007, but that is in large part because of game planning by opponents designed to neutralize him as much as possible.
At 6'4" 245 pounds, Selvie has NFL quality size. He matches that with 4.65-4.7 speed, and his overall athleticism helped him to secure 14.5 sacks and 31.5 tackles for a loss in 2007. The latter mark was one shy of the all-time NCAA record. In short, he is great at finding the ball and making plays behind the line of scrimmage, yet he manages to not overpursue or fall for tricks on reverses and the like.
25. Baltimore Ravens - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland *
Heyward-Bey has an unusual combination of strong WR size (6'2" 205) and world-class speed (sub 4.4 40), so much so that earlier in 2008 he literally outran double-coverage en route to an open touchdown reception. He would probably benefit from another year on the college level to further develop his route-running, though with his overall skill set he would be a probable first-round pick if he comes out for the 2009 NFL Draft.
26. Detroit Lions (from Cowboys) - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
Brandon Pettigrew looks like the best of the bunch at the tight end position. At 6'6" 260, Pettigrew has great size and appears to have the ability to block on an NFL quality level. He is also a receiving threat, and adding him to the mix in Detroit would be helpful for that team's offense.
One thing to keep in mind: if the Lions opt to take a quarterback with their first selection, I strongly doubt that they would pass on a defensive player at this spot. This could be a pick that the Lions could parlay into multiple 2nd/3rd round selections, depending on demand and their inclination to trade down.
27. New York Jets - Tim Tebow, QB, Florida *
Tebow is the same size (height and weight) as Georgia's Matthew Stafford, but most scouts see Stafford as a superior prospect to Tebow. But it's not as if Tebow would be an inferior selection; to the contrary, Tebow is an extraordinarily determined leader and a proven winner.
The main question with Tebow seems to be if he can handle quarterbacking on the pro level, taking snaps from under center and making accurate throws in a league that punishes those without pinpoint accuracy. Moreover, Tebow doesn't have the incredible arm strength that some GMs desire. These are the facts.
Tebow is known for his rushing ability, though he doesn't have Brad Smith or Pat White type speed. He will likely have to tone down his rushing on the pro level, but he has done that to a degree this year for the Florida Gators, so it's not as if he uses QB keeper plays as a crutch.
What the Jets do here might also be predicated on what the team does with Brett Favre after the season. Certainly Favre has been a major factor in the Jets' 2008 turnaround, but will he want to come back for 2009? Keep in mind that Favre turns 40 in less than a year. It would be interesting to see the Jets bring back Favre for one more season, draft one of the strong junior QB prospects, and have Favre be a mentor of sorts for the drafted quarterback.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 12:33 PM
Manning has 2 or 3 years left...I can guarantee they don't think Jim Sorgi is the heir.....Draft Bradford next season, have a couple of years under Manning then give put him in the driver seat and put Manning out to pasture

MojoRisen
12/10/2008, 01:28 PM
I don't think there is anyway Strafford goes over Bradford if he declares.

Nor Pettigrew over Gresham if he declares...

Murray could stand another year I believe - but who knows.

tommieharris91
12/10/2008, 01:37 PM
I like that mock. :D

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 01:42 PM
I don't think there is anyway Strafford goes over Bradford if he declares.

Nor Pettigrew over Gresham if he declares...

Murray could stand another year I believe - but who knows.

I think Murray has a better chance of coming back than Sam does. Who knows

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 01:58 PM
Thats an interesting pick to Chicago...I would say the only thing that would prevent that is if Lovie Smith stays, they will be wanting to take a pick that would bring immediate impact...I would suspect they would make a free agency move at that position before drafting a quarterback.

And Kyle Orton isn't playing bad anyway

on gresham vs pettigrew, I lot of NFLers like Pettigrew as a more complete NFL TE than Gresham

olevetonahill
12/10/2008, 02:01 PM
STEP....

That is the best post on here so far IMO. Not that Sam isn't capable of making the final decision to go...it's just that he has some really wise folks behind him. He's going to probably be torn even if he decides to leave IMO. I think most of this is designed to stop the questioning so he can work on dismantling the Gator D. First things first is what really makes the timing of such a Life Changing Event become the right decision.

Till then....it's probably "GAME ON!"

What about MY post ?????? Ya hurt my feelers :(
Now If he Does decide to Go .
Do Yall think He will pull an Eli ?

Paperclip
12/10/2008, 02:29 PM
I like that mock. :D

Chance is still playing?

KaleoHolley
12/10/2008, 03:04 PM
Does anyone here think Sam's learning curve will be alot more then guys like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, Since the offense this year has lined up and then turned to coaches to call an audible out of the play called based on the defense shown? NFL teams don't do this, do you think it will hamper Sam and make Stafford the overall number 1 pick?

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 03:06 PM
Mcshay has Sam ahead of Stafford (in his head). As far as him talking to NFL people, he has Stafford going ahead of Bradford.

Or all the quarterbacks could stay in college. And this would be a weird draft.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 03:22 PM
I ve been diggin trying to find this year's Joe Flacco and I haven't found him yet..

Nathan Brown from Central Arkansas looks like a mid-rounder in my opinion..poor man's Tim Rattay

I know some of the NFL scouts love Nate Davis from Ball State..Honestly, I have not watched him play so I don't know..

Let me give you guys a scoop though on a name you will be hearing about during the post season..Jason Boltus out of Hartwick (NY) College

KingDavid
12/10/2008, 03:24 PM
I think he's wise to consider it . . . but I think he'll stay. He has so many opportunities - even if he wins the Heisman and the NC. I think Colt made the right decision to stay. I think Sam's decision is more complicated, but the personal upside is too great to pass up for a kid a level-headed, humble, and motivated by non-financial goals more than $$ goals. JMHO. I know I'm looking through crimson-colored glasses, fo' sho'.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 03:24 PM
How could I forget Josh Freeman? With Prince gone, he is a lock to declare early

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 03:48 PM
STEP, what about this guy

Shane Falco

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/jlew1818/shanefalco.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 03:51 PM
I hate that guy

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 03:53 PM
I hate that guy

ditto, he blew it in the Sugar bowl

soonerhillbilly
12/10/2008, 03:54 PM
I can read through all this BS. No one wants him to go. I like all the "he be a fool not to leave" crap, but he want's to be a corp lawyer. He needs an education. He will not be leaving early. doochbags! Sorry, but he seems to like school and college ball. Why go from FUN to a JOB. And I don't want to hear about $$$. Sorry but all this talks peesmeoff.

soonerfan715
12/10/2008, 04:06 PM
I am being totally selfish when I say......PLEASE STAY SAMMY!!!!! :)

BOOMER SOONER!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 04:08 PM
I can read through all this BS. No one wants him to go. I like all the "he be a fool not to leave" crap, but he want's to be a corp lawyer. He needs an education. He will not be leaving early. doochbags! Sorry, but he seems to like school and college ball. Why go from FUN to a JOB. And I don't want to hear about $$$. Sorry but all this talks peesmeoff.

I don't think he'll leave early either...don't think you need to call people names though..not good form

soonerhillbilly
12/10/2008, 04:12 PM
I don't think he'll leave early either...don't think you need to call people names though..not good form

No body is a doochbag! I apologize! Just an off day at the office.

olevetonahill
12/10/2008, 04:14 PM

Earned him a Red X :D
I said Sam would be a FOOL to NOT look. And Sam aint a Dayum FOOL like some of our Posters .:rolleyes:

BornandBred
12/10/2008, 05:06 PM
From what I saw, Davis from Ball St. looks legit. As for Sam, I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to go, just cause the rookie cap thing looming. But, I, like the rest of you, hope he stays. It's not like he lives off his mobility and an ACL would end his entire career.

I think he stays UNLESS he wins both the Heisman AND the MNC.

dghere
12/10/2008, 09:11 PM
I love OU football. My Dad gave me that and I am forever grateful but if Sammy was my son and we were led to believe he would be in the top five or even top 10 picks then I would tell him to go.

I hate to quote the bird, hand , bush line but it's the truth.

I remember when Shaquille O'Neil left LSU after his sophmore year and all of the locals were saying he should stay and enjoy college and get his degree blah, blah, blah........Salary, endorsements, et all, he made 27 million his first year out. LSU does not have a degree that is worth staying for in lieu of 27 million bucks.

Just forget being a fan for one second and think of him as your son....how would you advise him.....?

ouwasp
12/10/2008, 10:59 PM
I hope Sam goes if the money is right. What a great story he's been...

Leroy Lizard
12/10/2008, 11:51 PM
I think he's gone, especially if he wins the Heisman.

Oh well.

Curly Bill
12/11/2008, 12:08 AM
Finally people start to realize this.... This has been talked about a million times, and Sam would be a fool not to leave. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute.

You come back for your RS Junior season. You lose your entire OLINE, Your 2 best WR. Most Likely your tight end. Maybe Kevin Wilson.....

Why stay, why

...but...but...but...Sam said earlier this season he was coming back. :rolleyes: Good God, how many times did people bring that up as proof that he'd be back? What else was he supposed to say during the season? If he's gonna be the 1st or 2nd QB taken he'd be a fool not to go.

...not that I wouldn't selfishly love to see him back in crimson next year.

JLEW1818
12/11/2008, 12:09 AM
...but...but...but...Sam said earlier this season he was coming back. :rolleyes: Good God, how many times did people bring that up as proof that he'd be back? What else was he supposed to say during the season? If he's gonna be the 1st or 2nd QB taken he'd be a fool not to go.

...not that I wouldn't selfishly love to see him back in crimson next year.

We have a Winner!!!!

Stoops=God
12/11/2008, 12:25 AM
http://www.newsok.com/bradford-to-file-nfl-paperwork/article/3329231?custom_click=lead_story_title

GottaHavePride
12/11/2008, 12:30 AM
GERMANS BOMB PEARL HARBOR!

Curly Bill
12/11/2008, 12:31 AM
...but is water wet?

olevetonahill
12/11/2008, 12:32 AM
http://www.newsok.com/bradford-to-file-nfl-paperwork/article/3329231?custom_click=lead_story_title

Not even ****ing funny :mad:
Hes already said he would Look .:rolleyes:
this earned you a trip to Bolivia .:)

JLEW1818
12/11/2008, 12:33 AM
hehehe

batonrougesooner
12/11/2008, 12:34 AM
He should go. I hate to say it but that's what I would do and advise him to do.

He could make $20 million or so just in signing bonus money without ever taking a snap if he goes.

OTOH he is just one hit to the knee or shoulder away from selling insurance or opening "A Store Divided" clothing stores for the rest of his life.

JLEW1818
12/11/2008, 12:37 AM
I thought Sam was only a Sophomore?.....;)

Curly Bill
12/11/2008, 12:38 AM
I thought Sam was only a Sophomore?.....;)

Your mom's only a sophomore. ;)

olevetonahill
12/11/2008, 12:43 AM
Your mom's only a sophomore. ;)

And I Loves Me some Sophomoric MOMS :hot:

olevetonahill
12/11/2008, 12:45 AM
Peeps I swear Yall pizz me off some times . The other times ya Make me :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sam, I hope and Pray does whats Right For HIM .;)

tommieharris91
12/11/2008, 12:45 AM
...but is water wet?

In other news, Texas still sux.

Curly Bill
12/11/2008, 12:47 AM
In other news, Texas still sux.

Finally, something we can all agree on! :D

MamaMia
12/11/2008, 02:56 AM
If Sam leaves, who else we got? :pop:

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2008, 03:02 AM
We're Okla-Friggin-Homa! We'll have 3 guys competing to start who wouldn't even have to prove anything to get the start at 98% of the other teams in the country.

But Sam won't leave. He'll stick around and someday when he gets finished with his "lower paying than it would be if he left now" pro career come back as Head Coach Huepel's QB coach before moving up to offensive coordinator as he wait's to take the reigns and bring in OU's 13th-16th National championship under AD Stoops' 7 sport national championship dynasty.

soonerfan715
12/11/2008, 04:09 PM
"It's going to be a process," Bradford told the Oklahoman of Oklahoma City. "Even if I think I know what I want to do right now, there's kind of a need to get as much information as possible so that looking back on this decision years down the road, you don't regret anything because you didn't go after the information needed to make the right decision."

This makes me think he already knows he wants to stay but he needs to see how sweet the pot really is first. He wants to be a corporate lawyer though and both of his parents are teachers, so hopefully he'll stay.

bosworthsteroidmafia
12/11/2008, 04:31 PM
Sam has been unreal for OU, but if he's projected as a top 5 pick (which I think is a done deal), he will go to the NFL. There would be too many variables and risks to take by coming back and turning down top 5 money - to echo Olevet, Sam ain't no fool. In addition, Sam could take a limo to every class in the off-season while he finished his degree - there is no reason he couldn't finish school later.

Plus, if he wins the Heisman and particularly the NC, it's an easy decision - it's like a walk-off homerun.

I'd love for him to stay, but I just don't think that's a possible outcome unless we lose the NC... and even then, doubtful. On the bright side, I don't think Landry Jones will suck.

Curly Bill
12/11/2008, 05:10 PM
He wants to be a corporate lawyer [/B]though and both of his parents are teachers, so hopefully he'll stay.

More then he wants to play in the NFL?