PDA

View Full Version : It's not even safe to go to Chuck E. Cheese anymore...

AllAboutThe'O'
12/10/2008, 01:21 AM
so you went to a kid's birthday party and a Pier 6 brawl breaks out...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122878081364889613.html

FirstandGoal
12/10/2008, 01:47 AM
I was really bummed to see that they serve alcohol at some of the ones in other states.
Lord knows I could have used that to get through a couple of the birthday parties I had to endure back in the late 90's.

Hot Rod
12/10/2008, 08:26 AM
"The biggest problem is you have a bunch of adults acting like juveniles," says Town of Brookfield Police Capt. Timothy Imler. "There's a biker bar down the street, and we rarely get calls there."

heh

Viking Kitten
12/10/2008, 09:15 AM
Fights among guests are an issue for all restaurants, but security experts say they pose a particular problem for Chuck E. Cheese's, since it is designed to be a haven for children. Law-enforcement officials say alcohol, loud noise, thick crowds and the high emotions of children's birthday parties make the restaurants more prone to disputes than other family entertainment venues.

The environment also brings out what security experts call the "mama-bear instinct." A Chuck E. Cheese's can take on some of the dynamics of the animal kingdom, where beasts rush to protect their young when they sense a threat.

This explains a lot. Seriously. Anytime we've ever been forced to go to Chuck E. Cheese for a birthday party or something, I've always taken a valium before the party. Even the very thought of going there makes my blood pressure go up. I thought maybe I was just being weird, but really I'm just a mama bear. Guess I'm not alone

SoonerJack
12/10/2008, 09:22 AM
Dang. Glad my kids are out of the Chuck E. Cheese age.

SteelClip49
12/10/2008, 09:27 AM
This is why Discovery Zone is missed.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 09:39 AM
This explains a lot. Seriously. Anytime we've ever been forced to go to Chuck E. Cheese for a birthday party or something, I've always taken a valium before the party. Even the very thought of going there makes my blood pressure go up. I thought maybe I was just being weird, but really I'm just a mama bear. Guess I'm not alone

Same for me..Heck it took me a while to be able to take my kids to the park.
The first time I took my daughter to the park, this boy threw sand in her face. I picked her up and took her to the other side of the park but this boy runs over there and does it again. And I notice there are parents several yards away sitting at a picnic bench, watching all of this going on. I ask him if his parents are over there and he points out his dad. I told him go tell your dad "The next time I throw sand at that little girl, that big man is gonna come over here and beat your ***." So he goes over and I assume tell his dad, because he picks him up and they leave.

I haven't taken them to Chuck E Cheese but we have been to Incredible Pizza a few times. At least there is a bit more room.

Viking Kitten
12/10/2008, 09:46 AM
Same here, I can deal with Incredible Pizza. It is a lot less obnoxious than Chuck E. Cheese.

Hot Rod
12/10/2008, 09:47 AM
We had to use Chuck E Cheese last minute for my kid's birthday party, after the other option fell through. It was alright and we had a good turn out, but I had to get on to someone's kid for coming over to our "area" and messing with our balloons and decorations. Guess someone's "mama-bear" instinct was turned off.

Only visited DZ once before I had kids.

Osce0la
12/10/2008, 03:20 PM
We had our son's birthday party there back in August...First time I had been to Chuck E. Cheese in years - and will definitely be the last. I am surprised I never made any headlines for starting an all out brawl in that place...My problem wasn't even with the rude evil little kids - it was their parents that were the problem.

soonervegas
12/10/2008, 03:41 PM
South OKC Chunk E Cheese - that place is a homicide waiting to happen.

IP is much better

P.S. If my child threw sand at another kid.....there would be an *** whipping coming. I have ZERO tolerance for kids picking on other kids.

Viking Kitten
12/10/2008, 03:54 PM
OMG. I've never stepped foot in the south side one. Someone would die if I did. It would probably be me, but there would be death. I really think it's the space issue that make IP tolerable. More things to do, more room to do it, and it's all in separate areas so everybody's not crowded into one big, loud, anxiety inducing, heart rate raising, this must be what the author of "Lord of the Flies" was envisioning room.

OUMallen
12/10/2008, 03:57 PM
I was really bummed to see that they serve alcohol at some of the ones in other states.
Lord knows I could have used that to get through a couple of the birthday parties I had to endure back in the late 90's.

They do at the one on NW EXP here in town. I had a couple of Budweisers there jsut a couple of months ago. The taps aren't marked, but they're right there on the wall behind the cash register.

I did get some dirty looks from parents, though. (I'm a 28 yo single guy, no kids, was tehre with family and nieces.) I might have looked like I was trolling for kids or something being the ONLY person in the place with beer.:eek:

NormanPride
12/10/2008, 04:24 PM
I don't care how much my family wants me to, I will never set foot in one of those places. I have too many bad memories.