PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Arm Trophy...

OU_Sooners75
12/9/2008, 11:05 PM
http://www.stiffarmtrophy.com/

Is Projecting Bradford winning the Heisman.

This website is now in its seventh year. Their first six years they have predicted the winners of the Heisman Trophy.

Read up on it, very interesting.

Widescreen
12/9/2008, 11:15 PM
Not anywhere near enough data to make a valid prediction, but I do like that Bradford is currently projecting to win.

SPuL
12/9/2008, 11:23 PM
Only 63 ballots out of 926 though man. It's a good sign though so far. Hopefully it continues.

tommieharris91
12/9/2008, 11:25 PM
Yea... Check back tomorrow and Thursday...

SPuL
12/9/2008, 11:30 PM
Yea, I believe the votes are due tomorrow night if I'm not mistaken? So Thursday will probably be your best bet in getting a clear cut projection.

Unless tomorrow's vote has Bradford (Hopefully) leading by a large margin.

aurorasooner
12/9/2008, 11:37 PM
Sammy just got a nice article over at the USA Today website sports page. It would be nice if it's the headline in their print sports section tomorrow on the last day of Heisman voting. Native son: Okla. QB Bradford brings pride to Cherokeeshttp://www.usatoday.com/sports/default.htm
If it's not a good ball, it's probably for a reason. He's putting it in a place where you don't have a chance to get your head knocked off," says the Sooners' All-Big 12 Conference tight end, Jermaine Gresham. "Wherever he puts the football, just roll with it."

That hasn't come by accident.

"He's a perfectionist by nature," says Heupel, now the Sooners' quarterbacks coach. "That's why he comes in on Monday afternoon (to pore over film) after going 23-of-26 — nearly perfect — finding flaws and finding ways to get better."

"The best coaching tool," offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson says, "is to look at (him) and say, 'That's what it looks like. That's how you practice. That's how you prepare.'It's better than sitting at the board and drawing circles. A picture's worth thousands of words.

"Whether he's the greatest now or will ever be or where he ranks doesn't really matter. It's just nice in this day and age to see a great player bust his tail every day and buy in."

colleyvillesooner
12/9/2008, 11:54 PM
Tebow getting alot of votes that will hit in the next update.

McCoy is done. it's Sammy and Tebowner. I don't have a good feeling...

Widescreen
12/10/2008, 12:02 AM
Where did you hear that?

sooner_born_1960
12/10/2008, 12:27 AM
Where did you hear that?
+ 1

Crucifax Autumn
12/10/2008, 02:49 AM
I'll just wait for the official announcement...honestly don't care. Sam will get the "we shoulda did it last year" vote next year from all these putzes that are either swingin' on T-Blows nuts or giving that jackass in austin a mercy ****!

Yeah..I know I'm rude, but this idea of not going by accomplishments and stats crap is making me insane.

Chrisrokc
12/10/2008, 03:46 AM
They just updated. Tebow is in the lead, but Bradford is still projected winner.

KingBarry
12/10/2008, 04:28 AM
The "stiff arm trophy" is actually awarded in three days, and these guys cop out with "not enough votes" to make a real projection?

When are they going to do it, Sunday morning?

Yeah, I could be right 6 out of 6 times if I picked winners as time ran out.

Just not real impressed with these guys.

swardboy
12/10/2008, 06:54 AM
I claim anti-Indian bias !

SPuL
12/10/2008, 09:11 AM
They just updated. Tebow is in the lead, but Bradford is still projected winner.

Yea, Tebow was in the lead in the first one too. I don't get how he has more points now yet they project him to come out on top by 5% more? Seems weird.

but Tebow really pulling away with the first place votes. But the second place votes is where Sammy killing him, and where Colt is gaining ground. It seems that you either think Sam won or was runner-up and that either Tebow won or he was third. Works for Sam!

name first second third ballots points Projected Projected %
S Bradford 32 45 19 96 205 1631 58.8%
T Tebow 53 19 28 100 225 1493 53.8%
C McCoy 29 34 37 100 192 1451 52.3%
G Harrell 1 2 5 8 12 77 2.8%
S Greene 1 0 2 3 5 40 1.4%
M Crabtree 0 0 5 5 5 33 1.2%
M Hall 0 1 0 1 2 24 0.9%
Z Robinson 1 0 0 1 3 14 0.5%
R Maualuga 0 1 0 1 2 9 0.3%
P Harvin 0 0 2 2 2 7 0.3%
J Ringer 0 0 2 2 2 5 0.2%
B Spikes 0 0 1 1 1 4 0.1%
R Johnson 0 0 1 1 1 3 0.1%

SPuL
12/10/2008, 09:13 AM
The "stiff arm trophy" is actually awarded in three days, and these guys cop out with "not enough votes" to make a real projection?

When are they going to do it, Sunday morning?

Yeah, I could be right 6 out of 6 times if I picked winners as time ran out.

Just not real impressed with these guys.

Man, they make their projection before Saturday. How they do it is simple. Most media outlets who do have a vote, most probably will reveal their vote prior to the ceremony. So what this site does, is take that vote from the article or newscast and put it in. True, people can lie in public and vote another way, but that's pretty unlikely for a Heisman race.

Anyways, here's the list of people who already voted and who they voted for:
http://www.StiffArmTrophy.com/votes2008.html

Hot Rod
12/10/2008, 09:18 AM
Sam's 2nd places votes are really helping him.

SPuL
12/10/2008, 09:22 AM
Yea, and they said reason Tebow is a head is because a lot of Tebow's votes are from the Southeast region, while the rest are more favoring Bradford, so they see that being the deciding factor. I'll feel more comfortable with this after it reaches 400+ ballots and a 10% lead. ~_~

colleyvillesooner
12/10/2008, 09:33 AM
Where did you hear that?

In the voters tips topic:

http://www.stiffarmtrophy.com/2008/12/2008-voter-tips.html#postcomment

SPuL
12/10/2008, 09:41 AM
I'm just waiting for ESPN to update it's Heisman watch and see what the poll looks like.

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 10:09 AM
but this idea of not going by accomplishments and stats crap is making me insane.

...said Philip Rivers in 2003. ;)

PalmBeachSooner
12/10/2008, 10:10 AM
Most of the ballots they know about have come from the southeast and most of those from Florida voters. The fact that the Orlando Sentinel voters (10) only had Tebow in front of Bradford by a very small percentage tells me that Bradford will fare much better in other regions. If McCoy wasn't in the race it would be Bradford's by a landslide or vice-versa, but they will be sharing 1st place votes in the other regions. So it is hard to say.

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 10:12 AM
I think Tebow, Bradford and McCoy will will almost split the 1st place votes. Tebow might get a slight edge because he's not contending with anyone else in his region. But I think Bradford will have an edge over the other 2 with his 2nd place votes.

oupride
12/10/2008, 10:58 AM
Anyways, here's the list of people who already voted and who they voted for:
http://www.StiffArmTrophy.com/votes2008.html

These votes look like sports writers, where/when are the former Heisman voters given?

SPuL
12/10/2008, 11:12 AM
^yea most of them are. But I don't know how many former heisman players have come out and exposed their votes man.

Only one I think that has was Ricky williams saying he'd vote for colt McCoy.

as I'm sure Jason White will vote for Sam Bradford.

SPuL
12/10/2008, 11:15 AM
...said Philip Rivers in 2003. ;)

true, but Sam Bradford is leading his team into the national title game.

Didn't NC State have like 3 or 4 losses that yr?

tommieharris91
12/10/2008, 11:39 AM

Florida had like 4 losses last year.

badger
12/10/2008, 11:57 AM
McCoy no longer in the race despite a three-way-tie for media suck uppage and McCoy beating Bradford in a head-to-head matchup back in October?!?!?! Look at the head-to-head, people! Ignore the third component! McCoy beat Bradford head-to-head! Therefore, the Heisman should be going to MCCOY!!!

:mack: How will Mack Brown ever be able to explain this to his kids?!?!

:rolleyes:

TMcGee86
12/10/2008, 12:22 PM
At this rate Harrell shouldn't even be invited to NY.

yermom
12/10/2008, 12:34 PM
Florida had like 4 losses last year.

only 3 when they gave him the trophy :)

and Rivers' passing stats weren't anything like White's in 2003

did he do a lot of running or something? i don't remember...

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 12:34 PM

All I'm saying is that it's not...nor has it really EVER been...just about stats and accomplishments. There's always an intangible element.

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 12:39 PM
and Rivers' passing stats weren't anything like White's in 2003

did he do a lot of running or something? i don't remember...

He probably had better rushing stats than White, but I'm not sure. As far as passing stats go, here's what you had in 2003:

Passing Yards:
Rivers - 4491
White - 3846

TD/INT:
Rivers - 34/7
White - 40/10

Completion %:
Rivers - 72.1
White - 61.6

Passer Rating:
Rivers - 170.49
White - 158.11

Statistically, Lienart had a better 2003 than White (Rivers being better than both of them) and White had a better 2004 than Lienart...but their Heisman trophy years don't reflect that.

yermom
12/10/2008, 12:49 PM
yards don't win games :P

when most of the ballots for 2003 went in, White had 40 TDs to 4 picks, it was sick

neither of the others were close to that

Widescreen
12/10/2008, 12:51 PM
He probably had better rushing stats than White, but I'm not sure. As far as passing stats go, here's what you had in 2003:

Passing Yards:
Rivers - 4491
White - 3846

TD/INT:
Rivers - 34/7
White - 40/10

Completion %:
Rivers - 72.1
White - 61.6

Passer Rating:
Rivers - 170.49
White - 158.11

Statistically, Lienart had a better 2003 than White (Rivers being better than both of them) and White had a better 2004 than Lienart...but their Heisman trophy years don't reflect that.
Perfect example of how team success is a huge component in winning the Heisman - especially when there are multiple good candidates.

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 12:54 PM
That is why the Heisman trophy is usually a joke. For a while, the Heisman was best player on the best team. Tebow was the best player last year, but not the best team.

Honestly Bradford could have been at the Heisman last year, with his numbers.

TMcGee86
12/10/2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah I remember specifically that White had 40 and 8 before the Heisman.

It was just mind boggling and I thought at the time that I wouldn't see that again evar.

In a way, I was right, Sam's stats are even more unreal. :D

yermom
12/10/2008, 01:00 PM
That is why the Heisman trophy is usually a joke. For a while, the Heisman was best player on the best team. Tebow was the best player last year, but not the best team.

Honestly Bradford could have been at the Heisman last year, with his numbers.

not really. Tebow WAS Superman last year

his passing numbers were really good, but a even pure running back would drool on his rushing touchdowns most years

i do think Bradford should have been in NYC though

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 01:15 PM
Sam had more passing TD's then Booger, but booger had way more passing yards. Sam beat him twice... Colt Brennan was a joke. If Sam would have been a Senior, he would have been there, that is why the Heisman is a joke.... BUT "SAM IS A FRESHMAN". Damn New yorkers

But Tebows stats last year were insane. Any time a QB can pass and run he is going to win. Crouch

tommieharris91
12/10/2008, 01:53 PM
Tebow deserved it last year. He doesn't have the stats this year.

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 02:10 PM
Perfect example of how team success is a huge component in winning the Heisman - especially when there are multiple good candidates.

Exactly. If we expected voters to give the trophy to White one year even though his stats weren't the best in the nation, why do we get so bent out of shape when someone looks at more than stats this year?

I still think Bradford should win it. I think he's amazing. But I can also see how people can make a solid statistical argument for McCoy and a solid "intangibles" argument for Tebow.

Personally, I think those three are the most deserving QBs, but I think there are other players out there who are more "outstanding."

badger
12/10/2008, 02:12 PM
Here's hoping Sammy is taking some intersession classes on Native American history.

Judging by the USA Today story and other bloggy/wirelike stories surrounding Sam, they are going to have a video tribute to his heritage and being a role model and leader in Native America, the Land of Red, the last reservation: Oklahoma.

When they do those little video packages introducing each candidate, how much you wanna bet they have Indian drumming and Tribal leaders talking throughout?

For past Oklahoma candidates...

Adrian Peterson - the conversation with his father who was still in jail.
Jason White - the recovery from two ACL's
Josh Heupel - leading the renaissance of Oklahoma football

For past WINNERS...

Tim Tebow - omg missionary work for the home schooled boy!

Troy Smith - quite seriously, nobody remembers that this guy won or why he won it. all we know is that he has no future in football and Ohio State just considers him another notch in the heisman belt.

Reggie Bush - my stepfather adopted me! who cares that he also used me to get money and big ol' house?!

Matt Leinart - I was a crosseyed fat kid that my mother had to console when bullies picked on me!

Jason White - just a smalltown Oklahoma kid that had awful luck with multiple ACL tears to come back from it all through determination and hard work.

Carson Palmer - who gives an eff.

Eric Crouch - um... he can run an option and our only other option is a spoiled sophomore that we all hate for his arrogance?

Chris Weinke - he's OLD but still playing FOOTBALL! Oh! My! GAWDDDDD!!!11oneone

Ron Dayne - Weeeellll, he has the rushing record and we gave the Heisman to all the other rushing record holders...

Ricky Williams - Weeeellll, he has the rushing record and we gave the Heisman to all the other rushing record holders...

Thoughts?

1890MilesToNorman
12/10/2008, 02:15 PM
Let me see if I understand the thread? Bradford wins the Heisman and McCoy wins the Stiffy? I can live with that.

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 02:16 PM
when most of the ballots for 2003 went in, White had 40 TDs to 4 picks, it was sick

neither of the others were close to that

It was, and is, sick. And, believe me, I can totally understand why White got the award over Rivers. I think it was right that he did. But that's not the point I was trying to make. I was just pointing out that the TD/INT stat was about the only passing stat where White outdid Rivers. Yes, it's a very important stat, but I don't think it's fair to say "Rivers' passing stats weren't anything like White's in 2003"

Also, on the rushing front...Rivers had 109 and 3 TDs and White had -150 and 1 TD.

At any rate, the point I was trying to make is what I mentioned above...it's always about more than just stats. And it should be.

yermom
12/10/2008, 02:27 PM
Sam had more passing TD's then Booger, but booger had way more passing yards. Sam beat him twice... Colt Brennan was a joke. If Sam would have been a Senior, he would have been there, that is why the Heisman is a joke.... BUT "SAM IS A FRESHMAN". Damn New yorkers

But Tebows stats last year were insane. Any time a QB can pass and run he is going to win. Crouch

Crouch had more INTs than passing TDs

but he had like 55 rushing touchdowns

yermom
12/10/2008, 02:29 PM
It was, and is, sick. And, believe me, I can totally understand why White got the award over Rivers. I think it was right that he did. But that's not the point I was trying to make. I was just pointing out that the TD/INT stat was about the only passing stat where White outdid Rivers. Yes, it's a very important stat, but I don't think it's fair to say "Rivers' passing stats weren't anything like White's in 2003"

Also, on the rushing front...Rivers had 109 and 3 TDs and White had -150 and 1 TD.

At any rate, the point I was trying to make is what I mentioned above...it's always about more than just stats. And it should be.

yeah, i had initially just looked at TDs, but if you are looking at yards, Tech, Hawai'i or BYU are going to have finalists/winners every year

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 03:03 PM
But Rivers wasn't too far off on that one. If you look at total TDs it's like 37 to 41 or something.

And I was surprised to see that Rivers actually had only a few more pass attempts than White...only about 2-3 more per game (32 more attempts on the year...as opposed to what you'll find at Hawai'i, Tech and BYU)...and averaged 9.3 yards per attempt to White's 8.5. I guess that's reflected in his higher passer rating, but it was still surprising to me.

SOONERnTx
12/10/2008, 07:42 PM
its updated and Sam is still projected to WIN!

SPuL
12/10/2008, 08:35 PM
I'm sure you all know. But Harrell got snubbed. Not like he would have won. But the finalists are in.

Bradford, Tebow, and McCoy.

I think that's the way to do it. Why invite a 4th or 5th when they had no real chance of winning it? Should be interesting night.

McCoy no longer in the race despite a three-way-tie for media suck uppage and McCoy beating Bradford in a head-to-head matchup back in October?!?!?! Look at the head-to-head, people! Ignore the third component! McCoy beat Bradford head-to-head! Therefore, the Heisman should be going to MCCOY!!!

:mack: How will Mack Brown ever be able to explain this to his kids?!?!

:rolleyes:

You probably being sarcastic, but it helped remind me to bring up McCoy.

After this new update on the site McCoy is neck-and neck with Tebow. He's still well in it. Tebow just lucky he's the only southern candidate. If you look at the region, he's KILLING it in the southeast. But then McCoy and Bradford splitting it in their regions. So it says a lot that Bradford still has that 5% lead.

All I'm saying is that it's not...nor has it really EVER been...just about stats and accomplishments. There's always an intangible element.

True man, I hear that. Tim Tebow though although they had 3 losses too, he was the only one that really helped them get to where they were. That whole LSU game it was almost as if it was Tim Tebow v.s. LSU, not Florida v.s. LSU. So to get to what they did. 9-3 I believe? That was a great feat in itself. Hence he won. Rivers on other hand, I believe he didn't really show a lot of that that year. I dont know though

OU_Sooners75
12/11/2008, 04:41 AM
bump

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2008, 04:46 AM
I personally think it's stupid to leave Harrell out of the show when there have been so many obvious losers in attendance in previous years. I just think they don't want the top 4 to show 3 Big 12 QBs to 1 SEC QB.

OU_Sooners75
12/11/2008, 04:54 AM
Last updated: 12/10/2008, 3:55 p.m. Pacific. 146 ballots, 382 votes.

S Bradford 43 50 25 118 254 1627 58.6%
T Tebow 65 23 30 118 271 1553 56.0%
C McCoy 34 41 44 119 228 1423 51.3%

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2008, 05:02 AM
Nice...I hope this trend continues.

SleestakSooner
12/11/2008, 05:26 AM
They would love nothing more than to set up the HW vs. HW quarterback duel down in Miami. Personally I would like to see Torrence Marshall at midfield during the coin toss if Tebow wins another trophy.

Jacie
12/11/2008, 07:15 AM
O don't know how many math wizards we have on here (I know there is at least one rocket scientist . . . seriously) but there is something about this guy's projections that I don't quite understand . . . the percentages.

Are those percentages in the far right column the total points he projects each candidate to receive?

If so, then he is doing some really funny math because percentage of anything totals 100 while this guy has over 170.

Anyone?

OU_Sooners75
12/11/2008, 07:19 AM
O don't know how many math wizards we have on here (I know there is at least one rocket scientist . . . seriously) but there is something about this guy's projections that I don't quite understand . . . the percentages.

Are those percentages in the far right column the total points he projects each candidate to receive?

If so, then he is doing some really funny math because percentage of anything totals 100 while this guy has over 170.

Anyone?

He explains it. The % is projections when it comes to regions that still have not been counted.

Tebow is receiving the bulk of his votes from the Southeast. And I presume the Eastern Seaboard in general.

SPuL
12/11/2008, 07:30 AM
the percentage he said is the percent they appear as #1 on the ballot. or something like that. confusing. he explains it in a section

SPuL
12/11/2008, 07:31 AM
Last updated: 12/11/2008, 4:08 a.m. Pacific. 180 ballots, 478 votes.

S Bradford 58 64 29 151 331 1671 60.2%
C McCoy 48 52 49 149 297 1481 53.4%
T Tebow 70 28 44 142 310 1471 53.0%

^great way to wake up! :D

I like Sam's chances against McCoy instead of Tebow. I do not know why

Boomer.....
12/11/2008, 08:28 AM
Looks like Sam is pulling away from the pack. :)

TMcGee86
12/11/2008, 09:28 AM
At this rate Harrell shouldn't even be invited to NY.

Your wish is my command.

Soonersince57
12/11/2008, 10:11 AM
Watch out for those Florida hanging chads. Might push it to Tebow.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g207/corybarlog/2000-florida-recount01b.jpg

badger
12/11/2008, 10:17 AM
:mack: You mean Colt McCoy is SECOND to Bradford even though COLT McCOY won the head-to-head matchup?! We have NO ROOM for a THIRD element in a THREE-WAY ARGUMENT, folks! How will Mack Brown ever be able to explain that to his kids?

SoonersEnFuego
12/11/2008, 10:49 AM
Crouch had more INTs than passing TDs

but he had like 55 rushing touchdowns
Do you think if he shows up this year to the ceremony, he'll wear a suit this time?:D

SoonerLB
12/11/2008, 12:28 PM
From latest update to the Stiffarm site:

Last updated: 12/11/2008, 4:08 a.m. Pacific. 180 ballots, 478 votes.

S Bradford 58 64 29 151 331 1673 60.3%
C McCoy 48 52 49 149 297 1480 53.3%
T Tebow 70 28 44 142 310 1471 53.0%

----------------------------------------------------------

Sooner in Tampa
12/11/2008, 12:35 PM
Bradford winning will be the kiss of death...I REALLY want Tebow to win it.

badger
12/11/2008, 12:35 PM
http://i37.tinypic.com/2s0yfld.jpg

Hot Rod
12/11/2008, 01:07 PM
Just noticed this...

"Mark Kiszla voted #1 for Oklahoma State QB Zac Robinson."

Chrisrokc
12/11/2008, 01:09 PM

Bradford is too much of a perfectionist to let the award push him off task. I believe he can win the trophy and get ready for the big game.

Sooner in Tampa
12/11/2008, 01:30 PM
Bradford is too much of a perfectionist to let the award push him off task. I believe he can win the trophy and get ready for the big game.
I just think all the crap that goes with winning the Heisman...it just takes sooooo much away from a players preparation. It is really out of the winners hands...they get roped into too many requirements.

I hope you are right...because it is really starting to like Sammy is gonna win it.

olevetonahill
12/11/2008, 01:33 PM
I hope he wins it . I think he will be fine in the Game .

TopDawg
12/11/2008, 01:34 PM
Just noticed this...

He's rejecting the popular vote. Check out his second and third place votes:

# Mark Kiszla voted #2 for USC LB Rey Maualuga.
# Mark Kiszla voted #3 for Michigan State RB Javon Ringer.

Chrisrokc
12/11/2008, 01:38 PM
I just think all the crap that goes with winning the Heisman...it just takes sooooo much away from a players preparation. It is really out of the winners hands...they get roped into too many requirements.

I hope you are right...because it is really starting to like Sammy is gonna win it.

Yea, you are right. There is a giant media blitz that happens after you win. Sam I think knows how to manage this correctly. He watches video on sunday evenings.... most qbs don't do that.

On a side note, it looks like the blitz ball has already started to roll. Sam was not in class yesterday. Hopefully he will get that hand healed, manage that media, and get to studying tape asap.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/11/2008, 01:46 PM
so...since right now its a 3 way race, shouldnt you throw out the lowest rated and pretend he isnt there???

then just go head to head with the remaining two ;)

instigator
12/11/2008, 01:50 PM
Just noticed this...

These shenanigans should get your vote taken away.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/11/2008, 01:50 PM

There is no wink here so Im not sure if there is sarcasm here.

Im wonderig if anyone feels the same as I do that the trophy winner will likley have more demands on him between now and the big show...hence distracting him a bit from the game

Hot Rod
12/11/2008, 01:52 PM
so...since right now its a 3 way race, shouldnt you throw out the lowest rated and pretend he isnt there???

Something very familiar about this.

Sooner in Tampa
12/11/2008, 01:56 PM
There is no wink here so Im not sure if there is sarcasm here.

Im wonderig if anyone feels the same as I do that the trophy winner will likley have more demands on him between now and the big show...hence distracting him a bit from the game
Not an ounce of sarcasm...I don't want Sam being distracted...given our past performance in BCS games...I want them all focused

Boomer.....
12/11/2008, 02:03 PM
I hope he wins it . I think he will be fine in the Game .

Agree.

SPuL
12/11/2008, 02:04 PM

LOL well played

Pirate Past Fifty
12/11/2008, 02:05 PM

McCoy is done. it's Sammy and Tebowner. I don't have a good feeling...

That's OK. The last time the opposing team's QB won the Heisman, and ours was runner up, look what happened. Hint--2000 against FSU

Frozen Sooner
12/11/2008, 02:14 PM
That's OK. The last time the opposing team's QB won the Heisman, and ours was runner up, look what happened. Hint--2004 against USC

Yeah, not OK with that.

(Jason White was technically a runner up, though not first runner up, in 2004)

TMcGee86
12/11/2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, not OK with that.

(Jason White was technically a runner up, though not first runner up, in 2004)

yeah, and see, nothing bad happened in 2004. We didn't even play a bowl game that year as I recall. :D

Bosley
12/11/2008, 04:23 PM
These shenanigans should get your vote taken away.

She actually voted Mickey Mouse #2 and in an unprecedented move voted herself #3.

Harry Beanbag
12/11/2008, 05:35 PM
He's rejecting the popular vote. Check out his second and third place votes:

# Mark Kiszla voted #2 for USC LB Rey Maualuga.
# Mark Kiszla voted #3 for Michigan State RB Javon Ringer.

Normally, I would think this guy is a jackass, but since I voted for Bob Barr it doesn't feel right for me to do so. :)

Harry Beanbag
12/11/2008, 05:40 PM
Growing up watching the Sooners run the wishbone, I would have never thought there would come a day when OU would be on the verge of collecting their second Heisman Trophy at the quarterback position. My how times have changed.

Bosley
12/11/2008, 06:08 PM
196 votes counted, Bradford still ahead.

The also put a video up of the biggest embarrassment in sports reporting on their site....a big thanks to our local crackhead sports reporter Berry Tramel.

Widescreen
12/11/2008, 06:34 PM
196 votes counted, Bradford still ahead.

The also put a video up of the biggest embarrassment in sports reporting on their site....a big thanks to our local crackhead sports reporter Berry Tramel.

It's looking like it really is going to be Sam. Got the DVR ready to record Saturday night.

Weird how they went 73 years without a Sophomore winner and now it looks like there is going to be 2 in a row.

colleyvillesooner
12/11/2008, 06:37 PM
Yep. The south really turned out early for Tebow, which makes sense. All those people knew they were voting for Tebowner no matter what.

Now all the rationale votes are coming in. :D

Hot Rod
12/11/2008, 06:44 PM
Pretty close race.

Turd_Ferguson
12/11/2008, 06:59 PM
Did somebody post this cocknozzles video? I would search, but as slow as the board is, it would be tomorrow before I found anything.

http://www.newsok.com/tramel-an-official-heisman-voting-list-with-my-name-on-it/article/3329246?custom_click=lead_story_title

Jacie
12/11/2008, 07:04 PM
Just as Jerry Lewis has his kids, so does Mack Brown have his.

Mack is only doing it for his kids.

SPuL
12/11/2008, 07:15 PM
yup, as someone said, they've updated. They said as they pass 200 votes they'll feel more comfortable projecting Sam with the trophy. Glad to see Tebow fading away.

Last updated: 12/11/2008, 3:16 p.m. Pacific. 195 ballots, 521 votes.

S Bradford 62 69 34 165 358 1687 60.8%
C McCoy 55 58 50 163 331 1516 54.6%
T Tebow 74 31 49 154 333 1446 52.1%

oupride
12/11/2008, 10:41 PM
Barry Trammel's vote analysis
http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=4572495001

Sirus
12/11/2008, 11:52 PM
For those of you that still don't think ESPN has a tebow bias just scroll thru the votes. I only counted 2 votes for Sammy #1 and one of those is from Ivan maisel.

Toronto Sooner
12/12/2008, 05:15 AM
Sam is on top in most exist polls (based on country wide sample size):

*Stiffarmtrophy.com - sample size of 195 ballots - Sam leading

*Oklahoman - 100 ballots - Sam finished ahead

*Tulsa World - 55 ballots - Sam finished ahead

*Orlando Sentinel (Tibow's backyard) - 10 ballots - Sam finished ahead

*Rocky Mountain News - 10 ballots - Colt McCoy edged Sam by 1 point

*Rivals.com - 7 ballots - Sam finished ahead

*ESPN - 15 ballots - Sam leading (based on results @ Dec 2nd, as I can't seem to find the final poll, but I know it has been released)

OU_Sooners75
12/12/2008, 05:29 AM
For those of you that still don't think ESPN has a tebow bias just scroll thru the votes. I only counted 2 votes for Sammy #1 and one of those is from Ivan maisel.

ESPN is a joke...why do you think some of us call it ESPiN?

They want to spin everything into their agenda. It is really sad if you think about it. Disney would be very proud to own such an idiotic affiliate.

Jacie
12/12/2008, 07:53 AM
It is interesting that from the votes this guy knows of, Sam has the most points but trails in first-place votes. Where Bradford makes it up is in second-place votes, where he handily beats Tebow and McCoy. I am guessing it has never happened that someone won it all but trailed in first-place votes to the runner-up.

SPuL
12/12/2008, 08:09 AM
I'm sure by the end he'll have more first place.

Look @ the voters TIP section. Majority of those votes are for Sam if I remember correctly.

TopDawg
12/12/2008, 10:15 AM

Each week, ESPN.com's panel of experts casts its votes for the top Heisman candidates. The panel consists of analysts, former players, former coaches and ESPN.com's college football staff.

1) Sam Bradford - 67
2) Colt McCoy - 65
3) Tim Tebow - Twenty points behind Colt McCoy

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman08/index)

badger
12/12/2008, 10:17 AM
It is interesting that from the votes this guy knows of, Sam has the most points but trails in first-place votes. Where Bradford makes it up is in second-place votes, where he handily beats Tebow and McCoy. I am guessing it has never happened that someone won it all but trailed in first-place votes to the runner-up.

George W. Bush in 2000 :P

TopDawg
12/12/2008, 10:21 AM

It is interesting but shouldn't be surprising since a couple of days ago someone posted this:

I think Tebow, Bradford and McCoy will will almost split the 1st place votes. Tebow might get a slight edge because he's not contending with anyone else in his region. But I think Bradford will have an edge over the other 2 with his 2nd place votes.

;)

landrun
12/12/2008, 10:30 AM
I read where there are over 800 ballots to cast in all.

That means we've seen about 1/4 of the votes. I'm not getting my hopes up. I think it will be McCoy in the end. :(

SPuL
12/12/2008, 04:37 PM
the heisman watch finally updated. damn, Bradford only leading mccoy by 1. Close 6 first, 6 second, and 3 third is what he got out of the 15 votes.

Partial Qualifier
12/12/2008, 05:04 PM
Heck, I HOPE it's McCoy. The Heisman is a curse more often than not.

oupride
12/12/2008, 05:12 PM
Not Sam, he seems focused.

SPuL
12/12/2008, 06:09 PM
new update on stiff arm as of 2 something PM pacific time. 215 ballots in

S Bradford 67 79 38 184 397 1681 60.6%
C McCoy 61 65 54 180 367 1522 54.8%
T Tebow 81 34 58 173 369 1481 53.4%

soonerguild
12/13/2008, 03:42 PM
He just posted his final projection. He is picking Sam to win by about 160 points so it is still close. However he has been right the last six years so her is hoping he goes 7 for 7.

Hopefully Heisman park gets a little more crowded!
BOOMER!!!

slamdog
12/13/2008, 03:44 PM
Final projection is up.

S Bradford 60.8%
T Tebow 55.2%
C McCoy 53.1%

fadada1
12/13/2008, 03:47 PM
pretty amazing how close it is for all 3 guys.

GO SAM!!

Toronto Sooner
12/13/2008, 05:56 PM
Even before looking at any exit polls, basic logic would suggest that Bradford should win. The is because of the criticalness of 2nd place votes during 3 way races. We knew that first place votes would be split across the country, faily evenly. However, Sam had by far the best stats, and in a normal year his stats would give him a landslide win. I think most voters understand this. As a result, after voters select their #1 guy, then their next decision is who they put #2. For the people not voting Sam #1, after voting for their own #1 guy, logic to dictate that a large percentage of those voters would then default the #2 position to the candidate with the traditional heisman trophy numbers (Sam Bradford in this case - better numbers than the last 10 quarterbacks to win the heisman trophy). Tebow has his supporters and McCoy has his supporters too, but after you get past the #1 vote on the ballot (which is largely emotional and subjective) then you get to the #2 vote which should be based on fundamentals.

Fortunately, it turns out that it appears as if that is exactly what we are seeing in all the exit polls. Sam is getting his equal share of the number #1 vote (worth 3 points), but is picking up a huge percentage of the #2 vote (worth 2 points). Things appears to look very positive for Sam.

GrowlinGator
12/13/2008, 06:16 PM
Even before looking at any exit polls, basic logic would suggest that Bradford should win. The is because of the criticalness of 2nd place votes during 3 way races. We knew that first place votes would be split across the country, faily evenly. However, Sam had by far the best stats, and in a normal year his stats would give him a landslide win. I think most voters understand this. As a result, after voters select their #1 guy, then their next decision is who they put #2. For the people not voting Sam #1, after voting for their own #1 guy, logic to dictate that a large percentage of those voters would then default the #2 position to the candidate with the traditional heisman trophy numbers (Sam Bradford in this case - better numbers than the last 10 quarterbacks to win the heisman trophy). Tebow has his supporters and McCoy has his supporters too, but after you get past the #1 vote on the ballot (which is largely emotional and subjective) then you get to the #2 vote which should be based on fundamentals.

Fortunately, it turns out that it appears as if that is exactly what we are seeing in all the exit polls. Sam is getting his equal share of the number #1 vote (worth 3 points), but is picking up a huge percentage of the #2 vote (worth 2 points). Things appears to look very positive for Sam.

The flip side of that argument would be that Tebow has a small lead in #1 votes, but appears to have been either left off the ballot completely or voted 3rd after both Sam and Colt in Big XII country. Either way, I agree that it would seem from what I've seen to be Bradford, but we'll see how StiffArm does in a close race tonight. Good luck to your guy, good luck to our guy, heck of a player whoever wins.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/13/2008, 07:51 PM
One thing I know about this whoever wins will be very deserving. I am sure we are routing for our guy, but there sure in little drop off between 2 and 3. eSPiN still flogging Pony boy, they just don't let up...Sure he is good, but not that much better than Bradford or Tebow.

JLEW1818
12/13/2008, 07:53 PM
GO SAM

Judge Smails
12/13/2008, 07:58 PM
Why did Mark Kiszla of Denver vote Zac Robinson number one?? WTF?

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/13/2008, 08:36 PM
Question...if Tebow is watching 8 to 10 hours of film and then practices for like 2 hours...when the hell is he going to class...

Blues1
12/13/2008, 09:01 PM
Rock On ~~~~ SAM....!!!!

swardboy
12/13/2008, 09:54 PM
Those guys were about spot on as far as Sam winning by 160.