PDA

View Full Version : This mighty Gator D

PDXsooner
12/9/2008, 07:00 PM
I can't wait until OU's offense gets loose on the Gators. I'll give them credit, they have a tough D and great athletes, but this notion that "OU has never seen a D like ours" is ridiculous.

I don't expect OU to score 60, but somewhere between 30-40 is likely. We're gonna have to listen to how mighty the SEC defenses are for the next month. It will be very satisfying to unload on them.

soonerguild
12/9/2008, 07:06 PM
Its hard for me to believe that their defense is better than the whorn's.

birddog
12/9/2008, 07:42 PM
sucks we have to play another road game. seems like every time we get a chance it's in the opponents home state.

maybe we should sell the Thunder and build a 90,000 seat stadium downtown.

that way the Jonas Brothers can come to town to fill the dates the stadium isn't being used.

boomer in clear lake
12/9/2008, 07:58 PM
The BiCL formula does show the Longhorns to be a better statistical defense than the Gators. 'Horns held their opponents 16 points below their season scoring average while the Gators held their opponents 13 points below their average. OU by comparison held their opponents to 8 points below their average.

Not surprisingly, the order reverses for the offenses. OU scored 26 ppg more than their opponents average score, UF by 22 points and UT by 14 points.

Overall, Florida has an adjusted scoring differential of 35 points per game, OU 33 points per game and Texas 30 points per game so slight advantage to Florida on this measure, surprisingly close to the opening line.

Boomer38Sooner
12/9/2008, 08:13 PM
Enough with the stats. I think that those are pointless because us and Florida have played completely different teams.... Just my opinion

Mr2Cents
12/9/2008, 08:27 PM
...... this notion that "OU has never seen a D like ours" is ridiculous.

I don't expect OU to score 60, but somewhere between 30-40 is likely.

From a Florida perspective, I wholeheartedly agree. Because QB play has been so horrific in the SEC this year, no 2008 opponent has prepared the Gator D for an attack as dynamic as Oklahoma's - not even close. I'm sure we could go back and forth for weeks and argue "Big 12 defenses look bad because conference offenses are that good" and "SEC defenses look good because conference offenses are that bad.

Frankly, I doubt we have the personnel on the scout squad to successfully emulate OU's Bradford-led attack, which is a big concern for Florida. Contrawise, while OU may not boast eye-popping defensive stats, they have been tested and prevailed over plenty of dynamic offenses led by the likes of Reesing, Daniels, McCoy, Harrell, etc.

While admittedly I haven't seen much of OU, I am very impressed by Bradford's decision-making, his accuracy, distribution - particularly to the tight end, receivers' YAC, and tremendous O-line play. Florida will be facing their toughest challenge of the year.

In my humble opinion, this game may be determined by who can best play keep-away from the opposing offense and who can get big plays out of special teams.

stoopified
12/9/2008, 08:28 PM
T ebow may be looking forward to playing the OU D but I GUARANTEE his Gator buddies on D are about to wet their panties at the prospect of playing the best offense in NCAA history .

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 08:41 PM
The biggest concern for me is the Florida DL vs. the OU OL.

Every year going into a bowl game we hear about how good our OL is, and for the last two years the OL has gotten whipped by a faster and more athletic DL than we're used to.

If Florida puts Sam on his butt a few times, I'm really really worried.

PDXsooner
12/9/2008, 09:29 PM
There's no question that Sam will have to make decisions quicker than he's used to. I think our O-Line will have their biggest challenge of the year.

One thing that makes me feel much more confident than in year's past is our balance on O. As much credit as we get for being an offensive juggernaut, many don't know our rungame is smashmouth.

Blues1
12/9/2008, 09:30 PM
From the Florida games I've seen this year (About all of them) - If we can Score 50 to 60 on the Last 6 Teams we've played we can score 40 to 50 points on Florida - Our Defense just needs to play "Lights Out" and We come home with Crystal -JMHO Perfect Opinion ~~~~ :)

wishbonesooner
12/9/2008, 09:35 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if our O line, on the biggest stage in college football, actually PLAYED like they were the best offensive line in America? How many times have we heard how great they were, only to be embarassed.

mseaton
12/9/2008, 09:36 PM
I just watched the Florida v Arkansas, The Arkansas QB had all-day in the pocket. Bradford with Oklahoma's O line will do great.

TahoeSOONER
12/9/2008, 09:46 PM
Both these talented teams come out to play in the first qtr. so the beginning of this game is big for tempo for our offense.

If OU can block with this Oline, I know our defense will do enough for O K L A H O M A to lift some crystal ball.

BOOMER!

catsigater
12/9/2008, 11:01 PM
I can't wait until OU's offense gets loose on the Gators. I'll give them credit, they have a tough D and great athletes, but this notion that "OU has never seen a D like ours" is ridiculous.

That's just a fact. UF will be the best defense you've faced all year. OU will be the best offense we've seen all year.

Should be a helluva game.

Good Luck!

OU_PhD
12/9/2008, 11:21 PM
That's just a fact. UF will be the best defense you've faced all year. OU will be the best offense we've seen all year.

Good Luck!

I agree, it will be a great game.

But, could you tell me one elite offense that the UF defense has stopped?

Thanks in advance.

catsigater
12/9/2008, 11:55 PM
I agree, it will be a great game.

But, could you tell me one elite offense that the UF defense has stopped?

Thanks in advance.

No, I cannot. Hence my statement that OU will be the best offense we've seen all year. (I'll add "by far" if you'd like.)

However, here's a little something to chew on...

These stats do not include each team's game with the Div 1-AA school (Oklahoma's UT-Chat & Florida's Citadel).

Oklahoma's opponents rated #76 by the NCAA in "Total Defense". Florida's opponents rated #27 (averages).

Oklahoma's opponents rated #71 in "Scoring Defense". Florida opponents averaged #42.

Oklahoma's current rating for "Total Defense" is #65. Florida's #9.

Oklahoma's current "Scoring Defense" rating is #57 and Florida's is #5.

So Oklahoma will be playing a team with a #9 rating in "Total Defense" instead of the average #76 they played throughout the season. Florida will be playing the #65 compared to the average #27 they played all season.

Oklahoma will be playing a team with a #5 rating in "Scoring Defense" instead of the average #75 they played throughout the season.

Florida will be playing the #57 compared to the average #42 they played all season.

Oklahoma couldn't have hand picked easier defenses to play against during the season.

On the other hand Florida has had tougher opponents all year long than what Oklahoma will be. In total defense, only Ark was rated weaker than Oklahoma. All of the other opponents were rated stronger than Oklahoma. In total scoring defense Florida had four teams rated weaker than Oklahoma.

In scoring defense Oklahoma will have played only one team rated as strong as the Gators, TCU. Florida has played eight teams rated stronger than Oklahoma this season.

The question is: Are the Sooners' gaudy offensive stats inflated by the poor defenses they've faced?

Or... are UF's solid defensive stats inflated by the relative weakness of SEC offenses this year?

I do know this. Over the last half-season, we've made every offense we've faced look pedestrian, with the exception of Alabama, who did what they needed to do. But then, their defense was unable to stop us.

Without Percy Harvin.

Scott D
12/10/2008, 12:17 AM
No, I cannot. Hence my statement that OU will be the best offense we've seen all year. (I'll add "by far" if you'd like.)

The question is: Are the Sooners' gaudy offensive stats inflated by the poor defenses they've faced?

Or... are UF's solid defensive stats inflated by the relative weakness of SEC offenses this year?

As with all realities, it's a little bit of both. Quarterback play and style of offenses has a lot to do with it.

SEC QB's
Tebow - Spread style attack
Stafford - pro style attack
Snead - Nutt's wierd Arkansas offense

that's probably the top tier of QB's in the SEC...they could all start for a Big-12 team. However, that takes us to the other 9 QB's in the conference

JP Wilson - bore you to death run offense with a few deep throws...Saban's been pulling this crap out since his days at Michigan St.
Casey Dick - Only a starter because Mustain pussied out for USC where he won't ever be a starter.
Jarrett Lee - turnover machine..given a break as a true freshman
Chris Smelley - apparently the most stable of the Spurrier QBs, not the best.
Tyson Lee - How'd this guy start other than Wesley Carroll regression?
Mike Hartline/Randall Cobb - one stunk it up, the other was a little better, but not ready.

Now we're to what apparently were the 3 most inept offenses in the SEC. Auburn, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt.

Kodi Burns was the better of the two Auburn QB's, but that offense was offensive even to the unknowledgable Allbarners.
Jonathan Crompton was terrible, enough so that Tennessee found more success putting their All American safety in a "Wildcat" formation.
Chris Nickson...well Vanderbilt was by far the worst offense in the SEC, they made their living on defense and special teams.

None of those remaining 9 would be first string in the Big-12, and probably another conference or two.

Now, I'm not bagging on SEC defenses...however I think the problem here is much like the USC one. There are definitely good defenses in the conference. However, when the level of competition (at least in this calendar year) is just so inept in terms of scheme and/or ability the entire SEC should be ranked in the top 25 in total defense and scoring defense. The only real blips for those teams would be facing the offenses of Florida and Georgia, depending on which Georgia team showed up as they were by far the most Jeckyl and Hyde team I've seen this season.

jfelduf
12/10/2008, 12:28 AM
I can understand that and agree with Sam Bradford being the best QB Florida faces all year. I'd say Stafford's probably more talented...projected a top 3 pick this year...but he had some poor decision making against UF this year.

The one thing I do want to point out, is Florida was facing elite units all year, every game. Is Oklahoma the most complete offense? Perhaps. But Florida's seen offensive lines that I'd call better than OU's...running backs better than OU's...and receivers better than OU's. Florida's handled most of them...or at least won the game (except, you know, that one time).

Seeing Oklahoma do everything so well is worrying...but it's not like facing an NFL team. They know what it's like to face talent.

PDXsooner
12/10/2008, 01:06 AM
i'm just curious -- which O-line is better than OU's? and which receiving corps?

Jmorales22
12/10/2008, 01:07 AM
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_teamsacks&site=org

Florida is 33rd nationally in sacks. Take that for what it's worth. Texas is first, TCU second, OU third. USC is 37th. Some defenses can still be good without getting a lot of pressure it seems. Honestly I'm not sure how though... if a qb has all day to throw... not even the best coverage guys on earth can blanket for 6 seconds plus...

Frozen Sooner
12/10/2008, 01:19 AM
I can understand that and agree with Sam Bradford being the best QB Florida faces all year. I'd say Stafford's probably more talented...projected a top 3 pick this year...but he had some poor decision making against UF this year.

The one thing I do want to point out, is Florida was facing elite units all year, every game. Is Oklahoma the most complete offense? Perhaps. But Florida's seen offensive lines that I'd call better than OU's...running backs better than OU's...and receivers better than OU's. Florida's handled most of them...or at least won the game (except, you know, that one time).

Seeing Oklahoma do everything so well is worrying...but it's not like facing an NFL team. They know what it's like to face talent.

What, exactly, would prompt you to say that Stafford's probably more talented? I've seen Bradford projected as the top QB picked if he leaves this year, ahead of Stafford. Stafford makes terrible decisions with the ball and isn't particularly accurate.

I find it puzzling that you seem to think that OU is inferior to some SEC team at every offensive position except for possibly TE.

RoaminSooner
12/10/2008, 01:52 AM
I don't think we've seen speed at there level yet. It's concerning, there were some games TCU where we weren't able to run very well if memory serves. We were able to win eventually with the pass, but there superior DB's may not give Sam the looks he's had all season, and I'm concerned their line may not give him the time to do so either. We won't be blowing over these guys, if we win I see it

7 - 10 in the 1st
14 - 7 in the 2nd
10 - 10 in the 3rd
7 - 3 in the 4th

OU 38 FLA 30

TJKDone
12/10/2008, 08:19 AM

The one thing I do want to point out, is Florida was facing elite units all year, every game.

It isn't true that Florida faced elite competition week in and week out.

Bradford is very close to Stafford by current projections.

There is no weakness in the Sooner offense. They are the most multifaceted and creative offense in CFB. The closest one I can think of is...Florida with their hybrid spread scheme. The no huddle feature of the OU offense is a groundbreaker and when they get ahead they are very very tough to beat.

Stoops tries to overwhelm teams at the start and if the Florida D isn't adjusted properly early, OU can beat them.

Will be an interesting game.

Hook'em

AtlantaGatorLee
12/10/2008, 09:08 AM
i'm just curious -- which O-line is better than OU's? and which receiving corps?

Hmm, 5 Olinemen with another 5 Olinemen behind them and then Tim Tebow! I love it! LOL

SoonerAtKU
12/10/2008, 09:13 AM
I also am curious as to which RBs are better than the group OU has. I could see some making individual arguments as to a single one being better than a single one of ours, but as a whole? Really?

Can you tell me how many teams had multiple 1,000 yard rushers? West Virginia didn't quite do it, even with White and Devine.

boomermagic
12/10/2008, 10:05 AM

Good Luck!

Florida may have a better defense than most we have played not sure if they are better than texas.. We are a much better offensive team now than we were when we played texas.. Our ground game is much better than it was.. Yes, It should be a good game.. I don't consider Bama a great offensive team and they scored 20 on the Gators we should double that IMO..

mhackl
12/10/2008, 10:59 AM
The Gators haven't seen an offense like ours, but Urban Meyer has. He may very well have a more intimate understanding for this offense than anyone outside the OU camp.

Urban Meyer, once said he fell in love with the spread while watching Northwestern's wild 54-51 victory over Michigan in 2000 -- to its improbable 12-0 season two years ago.Urban Meyer used Northwestern's (Kevin Wilson's) and Clemson's running spread style offenses as the models for the system that he developed while at Utah.

Okie35
12/10/2008, 11:13 AM
The Gators haven't seen an offense like ours, but Urban Meyer has. He may very well have a more intimate understanding for this offense than anyone outside the OU camp.

Urban Meyer used Northwestern's (Kevin Wilson's) and Clemson's running spread style offenses as the models for the system that he developed while at Utah.

both teams are familiar w/ the spread one thing urban meyer did say though is that hes not familiar w/ the hurry up offense and he said that will be hard to simulate and practice against...

achiro
12/10/2008, 11:18 AM
Both these talented teams come out to play in the first qtr. so the beginning of this game is big for tempo for our offense.

If OU can block with this Oline, I know our defense will do enough for O K L A H O M A to lift some crystal ball.

BOOMER!
OU has not done real well the last 3 games in the first quarter but still ended up with over 60. I won't be worried unless we are down big at half.

Scott D
12/10/2008, 11:34 AM
What, exactly, would prompt you to say that Stafford's probably more talented? I've seen Bradford projected as the top QB picked if he leaves this year, ahead of Stafford. Stafford makes terrible decisions with the ball and isn't particularly accurate.

I find it puzzling that you seem to think that OU is inferior to some SEC team at every offensive position except for possibly TE.

Well the Todd McShay's and Mike Mayocks of the world have been proclaiming Stafford to have more arm strength than Bradford, but that Bradford is more accurate, and sees the field far better.

Scott D
12/10/2008, 11:46 AM

Arguably part of Stafford's poor decision making had to do with the fact that half his offensive line was injured by the time the Cocktail Party rolled around. Inconsistency on the line = inconsistency on the field. Look at Colt McCoy last year, it's about par with Matthew Stafford this year.

That's the crux of the entire argument and why it'll be fun for it to be settled on the field. The two arguments of "Florida hasn't faced an offense like this, because the SEC offenses are pathetic!" versus the "Oklahoma hasn't faced a defense like this because the Big-12 defenses are pathetic!" Individually, I might give you that Knowshon Moreno and perhaps Charles Scott are better backs, however OU doesn't ride one running back, just as Florida doesn't rely only on Demps to run the ball. As for offensive lines, Alabama's line run blocks better than OU, but considering they're probably the only O-Line in the nation that outweighs the OU line that isn't a surprise. Other than the Florida line, I'd say the SEC lines are average to mediocre. Also what exactly are you calling elite units? The SEC defenses that faced mostly bad SEC offenses? Or the mostly bad SEC offenses facing the Florida defense?

so we've established that both teams know what it's like to face talent. Which team faced more diverse schemes during the entire body of the season?

meoveryouxinfinity
12/10/2008, 11:53 AM
Florida is soft. Especially on offense. When your quarterback is your hardest hitter, you know you're in trouble.

PDXsooner
12/10/2008, 12:22 PM
I'll give florida this -- they've given up 167 points in 13 games. OU's best defense under stoops (2001) gave up 169 points in 13 games. Impressive.

This will be VERY entertaining. My biggest concern is containing Tebow and not letting him exploit our linebackers in the middle all day long.

catsigater
12/10/2008, 12:32 PM
Florida is soft. Especially on offense. When your quarterback is your hardest hitter, you know you're in trouble.

That's what Bama said, and we took it to 'em in the 4th. Without Harvin.

If there's one player on the field who may be more motivated than Tebow, it will be Percy.

SoonerAtKU
12/10/2008, 01:16 PM
Motivation is a powerful factor, but Come to Jesus talks don't win football games unless you're Arkansas in '77.

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 01:23 PM
That's what Bama said, and we took it to 'em in the 4th. Without Harvin.

If there's one player on the field who may be more motivated than Tebow, it will be Percy.

Alabama can only do so much on offense. jus saying. Go ahead and look up the stats right now. How many passing TD's does JPW have?

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 01:24 PM
9 TOUCHDOWN PASSES. 9 WOW ... WOW ...WOW

catsigater
12/10/2008, 01:30 PM
Alabama can only do so much on offense. jus saying. Go ahead and look up the stats right now. How many passing TD's does JPW have?

But that wasn't my point, was it? Here's the point I was responding to by meoveryouxinfinity...

Anyone who thinks our offense is soft will be in for the same rude awakening bama and many other teams were during the season.

Capisce?

HiFiGator
12/10/2008, 01:30 PM
From the Florida games I've seen this year (About all of them) - If we can Score 50 to 60 on the Last 6 Teams we've played we can score 40 to 50 points on Florida - Our Defense just needs to play "Lights Out" and We come home with Crystal -JMHO Perfect Opinion ~~~~ :)

Granted if you score 40-50 on the Gators and play "lights out" defense, then you will go home with the Crystal. But I think that is about as unrealistic a prognosis as some of the Gator fans on our board, saying that we will score 45 on you guys and hold you to something like the 14 that "mighty" Ohio St. scored on us 2 years ago.

The bottom line to me is that the defense that the Gators will face on January 8th will be physical and talented, but somewhat on par with what we faced against Alabama and FSU the past two games. On the contrary, the defense that Oklahoma will face on January 8th will clearly be better than any defense that Oklahoma has faced since Texas at least. How does Texas' defense compare to Florida? That remains to be seen. But I think that anyone would objectively agree that Oklahoma's defense would be arguably on par with those of Bama and FSU. Similary, objective opinion would have to say that Florida's Defense will be better than anyone that the Sooners have faced since Texas at the very least.

What does that tell us about the final score? It remains to be seen, but I am going with 37-24 Florida.

boomermagic
12/10/2008, 01:39 PM
Granted if you score 40-50 on the Gators and play "lights out" defense, then you will go home with the Crystal. But I think that is about as unrealistic a prognosis as some of the Gator fans on our board, saying that we will score 45 on you guys and hold you to something like the 14 that "mighty" Ohio St. scored on us 2 years ago.

The bottom line to me is that the defense that the Gators will face on January 8th will be physical and talented, but somewhat on par with what we faced against Alabama and FSU the past two games. On the contrary, the defense that Oklahoma will face on January 8th will clearly be better than any defense that Oklahoma has faced since Texas at least. How does Texas' defense compare to Florida? That remains to be seen. But I think that anyone would objectively agree that Oklahoma's defense would be arguably on par with those of Bama and FSU. Similary, objective opinion would have to say that Florida's Defense will be better than anyone that the Sooners have faced since Texas at the very least.

What does that tell us about the final score? It remains to be seen, but I am going with 37-24 Florida.

You don't seem to understand,

When we played LIGHTS OUT defense against Texas Tech we won by over 40.. We can and will play better defense than you are thinking. We are capable of playing better defense than you give us credit for. I see a game where we play some great defense and florida is shocked.. That is what you need to expect and you won't be so shocked.. Just one more thing.. Don't expect to see the same team that lost to texas by 10.. That team is gone we are a different MUCH BETTER team now...

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 01:40 PM
And Oklahoma's offense will be better than any offense you have seen in the history of Gator football. Literally....

Just saying yall play teams who run the ball 90% of the time.

HiFiGator
12/10/2008, 01:41 PM

I'm sure this comment will generate a lot of responses, but that is just ridiculous. Heading into the Alabama game, some of the writers were calling the game "finesse vs. power." Obviously, in their minds, Bama was the power team and Florida was the finesse team. Florida put a chip on their shoulder after hearing that. The bottom line is that you can be fast and powerful -- think Adrian Peterson. Don't get me wrong, we don't have an Adrian Peterson, but we, as a team, are powerful and fast.

As for the offense, everyone focuses on Tebow and Harvin and rightfully so. But it all starts up front, and Florida's offensive line is excellent. We have also been fortunate in avoiding major injuries for the most part. We are a solid 2 deep with top notch quality starters on the offensive line. Trust me: Phil Trountwein, Jim Tartt, the Pauncey twins, Watkins, Johnson, Medder etc.. are NOT soft.

It should be a great game, but I see us doing a slightly better job of controlling the lines of scrimmage. That is ultimately where the game will be won or lost.

HiFiGator
12/10/2008, 01:45 PM
You don't seem to understand,

When we played LIGHTS OUT defense against Texas Tech we won by over 40.. We can and will play better defense than you are thinking. We are capable of playing better defense than you give us credit for. I see a game where we play some great defense and florida is shocked.. That is what you need to expect and you won't be so shocked.. Just one more thing.. Don't expect to see the same team that lost to texas by 10.. That team is gone we are a different MUCH BETTER team now...

Fair enough, but along those lines, don't pay much attention to the team that lost to Ole Miss by a blocked extra point, or even the team that beat Arkansas by 31. We are a MUCH BETTER team now.

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 01:48 PM
THE MVP of this game will be The Oklahoma Offensive Line, or the Gator D Line.

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 01:49 PM
Fair enough, but along those lines, don't pay much attention to the team that lost to Ole Miss by a blocked extra point, or even the team that beat Arkansas by 31. We are a MUCH BETTER team now.

We get better every week also.

Neither of us did a very good job with the month off last year.

catsigater
12/10/2008, 01:55 PM
THE MVP of this game will be The Oklahoma Offensive Line, or the Gator D Line.

That's probably pretty close to the truth.

PDXsooner
12/10/2008, 02:00 PM
i definitely want to gove florida their due -- i think they'll be the best team we've seen this year.

catsigater
12/10/2008, 02:06 PM
I don't think either team has faced a tougher opponent.

PDXsooner
12/10/2008, 02:52 PM
alabama and texas are comparable. but the way florida and OU are playing right now, it is the best two teams colliding for it all.

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 03:04 PM
I know they say defense wins championships, but this is often misleading in college. I never bet on Oklahoma, nor will i ever. But if i was a betting man, I probably would not bet on this game.

jfelduf
12/10/2008, 03:11 PM

Hasn't caused much trouble yet..........

meoveryouxinfinity
12/10/2008, 03:30 PM

I do know this. Over the last half-season, we've made every offense we've faced look pedestrian, with the exception of Alabama, who did what they needed to do. But then, their defense was unable to stop us.

Without Percy Harvin.

I'll repost something I said earlier in a different thread for you.

This is retarded. No "average" offense puts up 60 week after week after week after week after week. No "good" offense has these types of weapons at every spot. I'm not completely sold on our offensive line, but no "great" offense has two 1,000 yard rushers, a 3rd stringer RB who has almost half of a thousand yards (463). This offense isn't average, good, or great, they are EXCEPTIONAL. Iglesias averages 15.8 YPC, Gresham averages 15.3 YPC, Manny Johnson averages 18 YPC, Ryan Broyles averages 15.7 YPC, etc. If they don't perform against UF it won't be because the Florida defense, it will be because they tripped over their own feet.

GatorTD
12/10/2008, 03:53 PM
I know they say defense wins championships, but this is often misleading in college. I never bet on Oklahoma, nor will i ever. But if i was a betting man, I probably would not bet on this game.

I dont know about that... Look at the history of the BCS championship game. Pretty much every year the team with the best defense seems to come out ahead. And generally that defense is considered one of the best in the nation.

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 03:56 PM
Do you wear your Gator stuff around Austin? hehe, what do you think about that place?

HiFiGator
12/10/2008, 04:08 PM
We get better every week also.

Neither of us did a very good job with the month off last year.

That is true, but the difference is that historically Stoops' teams have struggled with the extra time off. Aside from last year's bowl game, Meyer's teams had NEVER lost a game with more than one week to prepare. That included all of his opening games, games following off weeks, Championship games and Bowl games. Obviously, each year is a different year, but I honestly think that managing the team and maintaning focus without getting them too keyed up or to tight is very difficult to do with an entirely different schedule. Historically, you have seen coaches who were especially adept at it as well as others who struggle. In fairness, I think this really more pertains to "normal" bowl games, which are played for little more than pride. Still, I think that history does give us a reason to think that this aspect would favor a coach on one side of the equation, and he is wearing orange and blue!

JLEW1818
12/10/2008, 04:19 PM
I hate orange.

GatorTD
12/10/2008, 04:24 PM
Do you wear your Gator stuff around Austin? hehe, what do you think about that place?

I do. Had alot of Texas fans buying me shots at the bar Saturday night because of my Gator gear. Its a nice place. I'm born and raised here in Texas and its one of the nicest spots Ive had a chance to live in. The UT fans can be idiots at times, but what do you expect?

Scott D
12/10/2008, 04:58 PM

I certainly hope this was a stir the pot comment, because otherwise it's just well, terrible. Their line did a good job of making Cody relatively invisible in the second half, and considering how much propping up he'd gotten from the talking heads.

Besides, if they were soft they would have rivaled Washington for a winless season, and Urban Meyer would be running off to South Bend to save Uncle Charlie's job next season. ;)

catsigater
12/10/2008, 08:54 PM
I'll repost something I said earlier in a different thread for you.

This is retarded. No "average" offense puts up 60 week after week after week after week after week. No "good" offense has these types of weapons at every spot. I'm not completely sold on our offensive line, but no "great" offense has two 1,000 yard rushers, a 3rd stringer RB who has almost half of a thousand yards (463). This offense isn't average, good, or great, they are EXCEPTIONAL. Iglesias averages 15.8 YPC, Gresham averages 15.3 YPC, Manny Johnson averages 18 YPC, Ryan Broyles averages 15.7 YPC, etc.

I disagree. A conference full of weak defenses cannot make an average offense look great, but it can make an average offense look good, and a great offense look EXCEPTIONAL.

But you're reading in more than I said. I didn't say OU had an "average" offense. There's no doubt OU is a great offense. But they have not faced consistently great defenses.

You've already demonstrated you don't have the chops to evaluate UF's offense, so we'll stick to your remarks about their defense.

UF's defense is very good (not great... yet). If OU scores over 40, I will concede they are great, bordering on EXCEPTIONAL. If they don't, I'll say they were great and had the good fortune to play in a conference that made them look EXCEPTIONAL.

My hunch is this will be OU's lowest scoring game this year, by far.

As far as this...

If they don't perform against UF it won't be because the Florida defense, it will be because they tripped over their own feet.

Sounds to me like you're already making excuses.

catsigater
12/10/2008, 09:00 PM
And Oklahoma's offense will be better than any offense you have seen in the history of Gator football.

That's yet to be proven. Unless they score 62+ on us, they won't be the greatest offense we've seen. That honor still belongs to the '95 Huskers.

I doubt OU will score half that.