PDA

View Full Version : Wishbone comparison

Soonersince57
12/9/2008, 03:25 PM
I promise I did a search and I didn't see this already. :)

Interesting article comparing wishbone to spread.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/11160952

cheezyq
12/9/2008, 03:32 PM
Oh, I remember those days. Back then a fumble was nothing. But that's because our defense was so ridiculously talented and our offense so time-possessive (if that's a word), they almost relished in the opportunity to get on the field and hit someone.

Paperclip
12/9/2008, 03:38 PM
I was watching bits of the 1988 Orange Bowl replay on KSBI the other day and Criqui said OU led the nation in total offense, but wasn't in the top 100 in passing.

boomermagic
12/9/2008, 04:46 PM
I was watching bits of the 1988 Orange Bowl replay on KSBI the other day and Criqui said OU led the nation in total offense, but wasn't in the top 100 in passing.

Only two teams won 100 games in the decade of the 70's.. Guess who ? If you said Oklahoma and Alabama you are correct.. Both wishbone teams.. A TREMENDOUS OFFENSE.. The article is wrong.. Miami did not kill the wishbone.. Barry left and Gibbs didn't want to run the bone.. Probably a mistake at the time.. Miami had the players to stop any offense not JUST the bone they stopped them all. they were more talented than we were for a few years there and they beat us.. That is simple to understand..

TMcGee86
12/9/2008, 05:25 PM
Yup, if anything, the NFL killed the wishbone. It became nearly impossible to recruit blue chip athletes to a wishbone system because they knew it hurt their draft stock too much. Espcially at Quarterback. So the Charles Thompsons of the world became RB's and WR's to ensure a shot at the next level.

Soonersince57
12/9/2008, 05:30 PM
I have a copy of the OU-Michigan Orange Bowl that I attended as a freshman. I had forgotten how fast everything happened once the ball was snapped. Fun to watch.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2008, 05:32 PM
The wishbone is like any other offense - the more teams that run it, the more defenses are designed to stop it. Barry wanted to go away from the bone in the early/mid 80's and went out and got Troy Aikman as the first pocket passer. He had also gotten Marcus Dupree as a more conventional tail back. But Dupree wasn't meant for the college game and Aikman got hurt, so Barry returned to his wishbone roots for his final years.

WileyCoyote
12/9/2008, 06:30 PM
It's hard to compare era's in any sport. But for my money there are 2 in the wishbone that really stand out for me.

Lott & Co. ran wild but would give you cardiac failure on turnovers.
Didn't pass, but hell...didn't need to...NOBODY could stop them....only themselves. Plus OU had some 'slobberknockers' on D.

Holloway & Co. had great personnel & more evolved schemes with passing.
Again great D on the other side of the ball. I just wish Holloway hadn't blown the knee so early in his career. There is no telling where those teams would have finished with a healthy machine @ QB.

I had the good fortune to see them up close & in person all during the 70's & 80's.

The current group 2008 will make their history though.

bluedogok
12/9/2008, 11:48 PM
Miami had the players to stop any offense not JUST the bone they stopped them all. they were more talented than we were for a few years there and they beat us.. That is simple to understand..
Miami had third teamers in that era who were high draft picks and became quick starters in the NFL. They had a ridiculous amount of talent back then and especially on defense.