PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Wilson wins the Broyles

Paperclip
12/9/2008, 03:05 PM
Sooners' Wilson wins Broyles award
Associated Press

Updated: December 9, 2008, 2:37 PM ET

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson has won the Broyles Award, given to the nation's top assistant coach.

The Sooners will play Florida in the BCS title game thanks to an offense that has scored at least 60 points in five straight games. Led by quarterback Sam Bradford, Oklahoma ended up with an NCAA-record 702 points this season.

The other finalists were Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong, Utah defensive coordinator Gary Andersen, TCU defensive coordinator Dick Bumpas and Ball State offensive coordinator Stan Parrish.

The Broyles Award is named for former Arkansas football coach Frank Broyles. More than 25 of his assistants became head coaches. They include Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson and Johnny Majors.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

boomermagic
12/9/2008, 03:15 PM
Congrats to coach Wilson..

Just one thing to add.. I can't believe they didn't include Barry in Broyles assistant coaches..

Sooners' Wilson wins Broyles award
Associated Press

Updated: December 9, 2008, 2:37 PM ET

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson has won the Broyles Award, given to the nation's top assistant coach.

The Sooners will play Florida in the BCS title game thanks to an offense that has scored at least 60 points in five straight games. Led by quarterback Sam Bradford, Oklahoma ended up with an NCAA-record 702 points this season.

The other finalists were Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong, Utah defensive coordinator Gary Andersen, TCU defensive coordinator Dick Bumpas and Ball State offensive coordinator Stan Parrish.

The Broyles Award is named for former Arkansas football coach Frank Broyles. More than 25 of his assistants became head coaches. They include BARRY SWITZER Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson and Johnny Majors.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

JLEW1818
12/9/2008, 03:31 PM
So if we have the best offensive coach, and since we have the best offense, and since we have the best quarterback, do we have the best player in the nation???

Bradford=Heisman

Use Common Sense

NormanPride
12/9/2008, 03:40 PM
Congrats, coach! Now go out there and prove you deserved it. ;)

Sherpa
12/9/2008, 03:43 PM
Well deserved. What an entertaining offense to watch.

starclassic tama
12/9/2008, 03:43 PM
Congrats, coach! Now go out there and prove you deserved it. ;)

quoted for truth. obviously coach wilson is a great coach, but here is a chance to prove you are the best.

The Maestro
12/9/2008, 03:48 PM
And other than the final 28 minutes of the Texas game, he earned it!! :eek:

Sorry...he did a great job and deserves the award!

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/9/2008, 04:07 PM
Great job, KW!

So why have we seemingly heard ZERO rumblings about him leaving OU for a head coaching job somewhere?

Paperclip
12/9/2008, 04:12 PM
Because Bob is going to coach the Browns and KW will be promoted to head coach with Heupel as OC.

birddog
12/9/2008, 04:17 PM
just a little side bar here, i thought they renamed that the Chuck Long Award?

The_Red_Patriot
12/9/2008, 04:28 PM
Kevin clearly needs another 5 years at OC under his belt before he gets an HC job.

He still has tons to learn. :D :D :D :D

boomermagic
12/9/2008, 04:32 PM
Kevin clearly needs another 5 years at OC under his belt before he gets an HC job.

He still has tons to learn. :D :D :D :D

Yes. He probably needs more experience.. What makes me laugh is the people who would want Josh If Stoops were to leave.. Josh is great but needs LOTS more experience..:D

cvsooner
12/9/2008, 05:51 PM
Well, since KW just defeated the Florida defensive coordinator for this award, let's hope it's an omen.

King Crimson
12/9/2008, 06:21 PM
i expect KW will see a nice raise. i saw the OC salary rankings earlier today and he's in the middle of the conference...behind ISU's guy.

SoonerObsession
12/9/2008, 06:26 PM
It's time to spread rumors about KW to sway teams from wanting him. I don't ever want this offense to go bye bye.

StoopTroup
12/9/2008, 07:24 PM
Sticky?

Should be IMO.

Kevin deserves that.

He's awesome!

He has to where sunglasses to hide those LASER BEAM EYES!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-footbl/auto_wide/2575304.jpeg

XMnTH-6thkw

Rogue
12/9/2008, 07:35 PM
Congratulations, Coach!

StoopTroup
12/9/2008, 07:44 PM
It's time to spread rumors about KW to sway teams from wanting him. I don't ever want this offense to go bye bye.

Right after that interview in my youtube posting the friend that was with me saw Bob and Carol come out of the Lockeroom. Bob got stopped for a small interview and my friend was talking to Carol. He asked her if she thought that if KW left...would Bob go after Gus Malzahn from TU. She's a smart lady and told him that she didn't know anything about that. She looked at me and I was like...I wouldn't answer that either Carol. She and me both laughed. About that time Bob got free and my friend asked Bob for an autograph on his hat. While he's signing it my friend asks him the question. Bob paused for a second and it looked like the question even made him mad. He says..."Kevin isn't going anywhere".

I know Bob wouldn't have even told us if Kevin was and I scolded my Buddy for even asking him. I thought it was kind of rude since Bob had just Coached one heck of a game against aggy and was really just wanting to get the heck out of stoolwater and celebrate....maybe take it all in for a second before having to field even more questions regarding the BCS selection that came the next day.

I just looked at Bob and said "Great Game Coach". He thanked me and Bob and Carol were off to meet the crowd outside the press area.

I have a feeling Bob and Kevin have an agreement for a 2-peat should we win our 8th MNC. After that Wilson could get any job in America IMO.

I hope he doesn't leave...and...I just have a feeling he won't.

cvsooner
12/9/2008, 08:15 PM
Another good omen: Mangino won this award in 2000. And...Greg Davis won it in 2005. Good mojo.

OU-HSV
12/9/2008, 08:53 PM
Props to KW. Now let's light up the BCS Championship Game