PDA

View Full Version : How to stick it to espn?

OUby35
12/9/2008, 01:45 PM
Alright, I think that espn understands how head to head doesn't work for a three way tie. I'll just have to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. So I am guessing that they are harping on the texas head to head argument to stir up emotion etc... for ratings. Fox sports has covered this issue but it doesn't seem to be the party line that texas got screwed.

So how do we react to this? How do we make such an established company listen?

I'm going to cancel my subsription to their magazine but I can't avoid watching their network if I want to see the biggest games. Does anyone have an idea on how to affect their bottom line? Should we just bring a ton of anti espn signs to Miami?

JLEW1818
12/9/2008, 01:49 PM
Get Mark May off ESPN, that needs to happen first. If I ever saw him in public, I would talk to **** to him or throw something at him....... yep pretty immature, but at least I did it.

sooner_born_1960
I'm sort of miffed that once OU was eliminated from the conversation, TTech wasn't selected for the Fiesta Bowl since they won the head to head.

CORNholio
Just yell at the TV. It works for me.

A-M
12/9/2008, 01:50 PM
Alright, I think that espn understands how head to head doesn't work for a three way tie. I'll just have to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

You are giving them much more credit for understanding then they deserve!

JLEW1818
12/9/2008, 01:51 PM
Mark May is my least favorite sports person. Hate him more than Vincent and Mack.

Knippz
12/9/2008, 01:52 PM
Um...show our support for the team. If we win the MNC, that's the best way to do it.

1890MilesToNorman
12/9/2008, 01:52 PM
I'm sort of miffed that once OU was eliminated from the conversation, TTech wasn't selected for the Fiesta Bowl since they won the head to head.

Yep, i said it before in another thread but what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Tech should be going, not Texas!

Hey Mack, bite me!

meoveryouxinfinity
12/9/2008, 01:53 PM
Mark May is a joke. I bet he still thinks USC is the best team in the country.

Partial Qualifier
12/9/2008, 01:54 PM
I believe you're correct, they do this for ratings but the anti-ESPN signs only fuel their fire. More attention towards them -- that's exactly what they're after.

I think we should let it ride until the next time they choose Norman for ESPN Gameday. And then we ALL show up and just relentlessly rip them a new one during the entire telecast.. I mean, let's make the crew seriously scared for their lives.

Or.. we could just beat Florida. :D

Dan Thompson
12/9/2008, 01:54 PM
If you could make it shorter, try something like this.

Do the math, Head-Head-Head = 3-way tie, unless you have 2 heads like ESPN.

soonermix
12/9/2008, 01:55 PM
Alright, I think that espn understands how head to head doesn't work for a three way tie. I'll just have to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. So I am guessing that they are harping on the texas head to head argument to stir up emotion etc... for ratings. Fox sports has covered this issue but it doesn't seem to be the party line that texas got screwed.

I'm going to cancel my subsription to their magazine but I can't avoid watching their network if I want to see the biggest games. Does anyone have an idea on how to affect their bottom line? Should we just bring a ton of anti espn signs to Miami?

take out all their satelites and broadcasting equipment
:eek:

sooner_born_1960
12/9/2008, 01:57 PM
Not out loud.

PalmBeachSooner
12/9/2008, 01:59 PM
It doesn't mean they are anti-OU. Sounds to me like they are anti-BCS. The system sux. Even OU's 1985 championship is tainted to some degree. We lost to Miami that year and the only reason we won, was because Miami lost to Alabama. I know that was pre-BCS but it just goes to prove that the current system isn't any better.

So the lesson to be learned is don't be the last team to lose and try to have a decent out of conference schedule.

Hot Rod
12/9/2008, 01:59 PM

Even if we win, he'll still think we aren't that good and make some stupid Texas/USC statement.

sooner_born_1960
12/9/2008, 02:04 PM
Tennessee

Knippz
12/9/2008, 02:05 PM
Even if we win, he'll still think we aren't that good and make some stupid Texas/USC statement.

Well, then we root on our team to win, and root for Ohio St. A dominant performance over Florida will leave no doubt in anyone's mind.

SoonerJack
12/9/2008, 02:06 PM
It doesn't mean they are anti-OU. Sounds to me like they are anti-BCS. The system sux. Even OU's 1985 championship is tainted to some degree. We lost to Miami that year and the only reason we won, was because Miami lost to Alabama.

Miami lost to Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl the same night we beat Penn State. That loss pretty much took them out of the MNC argument that year.

boomermagic
12/9/2008, 02:08 PM
I don't care what texass or mark may or anybody else thinks.. Eff em.. If we beat Florida we have got number 8 folks and the rest of them can kiss our asses...

Knippz
12/9/2008, 02:09 PM
I don't care what texass or mark may or anybody else thinks.. Eff em.. If we beat Florida we have got number 8 folks and the rest of them can kiss our asses...

Pretty much...

HateTheWhorns
12/9/2008, 02:10 PM
It doesn't mean they are anti-OU. Sounds to me like they are anti-BCS. The system sux. Even OU's 1985 championship is tainted to some degree. We lost to Miami that year and the only reason we won, was because Miami lost to Alabama. I know that was pre-BCS but it just goes to prove that the current system isn't any better.

So the lesson to be learned is don't be the last team to lose and try to have a decent out of conference schedule.

Every national champion's claim is tainted if there are teams at the end of the season with similar or better records. Why the NCAA doesn't adopt their FCS, Div II, and Div III playoff systems is beyond me. Less money for the bowls and conferences? B.S. This year we could have had 3 teams participating in an 8 team playoff. It would have been big bucks for the conference. The bowls would be just fine.

By the way, I thnk it was the Vols that layed a 35-7 whooping on Miami in the '86 Sugar Bowl.

oumartin
12/9/2008, 02:11 PM
yep, who cares what anyone thinks. you think Alabama worries that someone questions their 900 bazillion national titles? obviously they dont..

ESPN is what it is. They spit out the same stuff over and over so just dont' let it worry ya..

Partial Qualifier
12/9/2008, 02:15 PM

That's completely true and no, there won't be any asterisks...

but still, I agree with the original poster: ESPN needs to know not to **** with us like that in the future. THey're not idiots -- they all understood the 3-way-tie situation -- but they chose to pimp this thing for every drop of attention they could... and nearly screwed us in the process. F THAT.

Especially since this organization is about to begin AIRING THE ACTUAL BCS GAMES THEMSELVES... pimping their ability to skew the rankings should be a huge red flag to all D1 teams.

Widescreen
12/9/2008, 02:17 PM
I plan on blocking ESPN. That'll show 'em.

Soonersince57
12/9/2008, 02:17 PM

Yes, sir, you win best post of the day. :)

Lott's Bandana
12/9/2008, 02:36 PM
I agree with everyone in every previous post.

Now, if OP (and anyone else) wants to effect espn where it counts, do it the old-fashioned way...

Get a campaign started by picking 3-4 of their main NCAAF advertisers and send them letters/emails that you will no longer purchase their products as long as (__________________).

My fill-in-the-blank would be something like:

"Stop mandating ratings-targeted talking points during your production meetings, then sending out your talking heads, all in lockstep, supporting the abc/disney/espn party line. Let them have their own TRUE opinions. The great sport that is NCAA Football stands on it's own and doesn't need artificial promotion."

Something like that, but more bettah written. :rolleyes:

Anyway----once a letter is sent to say for instance, the makers of Old Spice, then...send copies to espn and the espn ombudsman.

Obviously, be intelligent about it...no cussing, or even making any of your points for why you are doing it, just do it. They will know EXACTLY what you are mad about.

In time, there will be more Jason Whitlock's that will get screwed by the mouse ears and expose how they purposely manipulate our sport.

Just my .02...

oupride
12/9/2008, 02:39 PM
How about we start an email campaign to ESPN pretending to be Tech fans asking/complaing Tech is not in the Fiesta. If we can move the topic of conversation off Texas to Tech, that would be a coup I think and that would be a significant enough way to stick it to espn for me. Any one have their email?

BoomerJack
12/9/2008, 02:44 PM

The only way to do it is to hurt them in the bottom line, i.e. boycott the advertisers, especially the local ones.

And when their dog & pony show, Gameday, comes to Norman, don't show up to do that idiotic yelling & sign waving behind them.

TopDawg
12/9/2008, 02:48 PM
It doesn't mean they are anti-OU. Sounds to me like they are anti-BCS. The system sux.

This is the key.

If ESPN was anti-OU you wouldn't hear ANYBODY stating OU's case. But (if you take a break from hating ESPN and looking for reasons to hate them even more) you'll find people supporting OU. Even Mark May has done it. Lou Holtz has done it. Several others have done it. You may not notice it as much as when they talk about Texas because the Texas talk rubs you the wrong way and the OU talk doesn't stand out to you because you agree with it. But the OU talk is there. Trust me.

Right now "The BCS sucks" is the big story. It just so happens that we're right in the middle of it. They can (and most of them do) say "The BCS sucks" and "Texas is deserving of a shot at the national title" without saying "OU sucks" and "OU doesn't deserve a shot at the national title."

I'm really hopeful that the coaches can whip up some "us versus the world" feelings with our players for the big game, but I just don't think it's the reality of the situation.

boomermagic
12/9/2008, 02:49 PM
Before anything is done we gotta beat Florida and PROVE we are right and they are wrong. Let's get er done...

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2008, 02:49 PM
The Fiesta bowl thing is a red herring. Once the conference tie-in gets promoted to the title game (in this case OU), the bowls have a lot of clauses that give them leeway on which team they select. I'm sure they chose UT because they think it means more revenue and since they are the highest rated BCS team outside the title game, they didn't have to justify the choice.

bluedogok
12/9/2008, 02:50 PM
Who cares, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and most stink.....
Cowherd is right about one thing, what ESPiN wants is a controversy to spin and sell because it draws people to them like a moth to a light bulb. That is why every year they seem to get more and more "outrageous" in their opinions and attitudes like it's some blacktop basketball game in NYC. I don't think there is an "agenda" against OU, but due to the reactions of a rabid fan base they know that it will incite and rile some of the locals and every email just gives them justification for it. All this crap just reminds me of the Toby Keith song The Critic, hate letters justify a raise because then the bosses know someone is watching....kind of the there is no good or bad publicity, it's all good to the one getting the publicity. It's just the way of big business. Whitlock may be a hack but some of what he spreads is the truth.

I have got to the point where I just watch the games and ignore all their other BS. Disney and the marketing machine was the worst thing to happen to ESPN. I liked them better when they had Aussie football.

cheezyq
12/9/2008, 04:51 PM
This is the key.

If ESPN was anti-OU you wouldn't hear ANYBODY stating OU's case. But (if you take a break from hating ESPN and looking for reasons to hate them even more) you'll find people supporting OU. Even Mark May has done it. Lou Holtz has done it. Several others have done it. You may not notice it as much as when they talk about Texas because the Texas talk rubs you the wrong way and the OU talk doesn't stand out to you because you agree with it. But the OU talk is there. Trust me.

Right now "The BCS sucks" is the big story. It just so happens that we're right in the middle of it. They can (and most of them do) say "The BCS sucks" and "Texas is deserving of a shot at the national title" without saying "OU sucks" and "OU doesn't deserve a shot at the national title."

I'm really hopeful that the coaches can whip up some "us versus the world" feelings with our players for the big game, but I just don't think it's the reality of the situation.

I'd TOTALLY agree with your post, if it weren't for one thing....ESPN signed a deal to broadcast the BCS and essentially keep it going through 2014.

What irritates me is that they DON'T present both arguments, ever. They'll say nice things about OU, like, "OU is a great team, probably one of the top 2 teams...but they shouldn't be there". They couldn't be more wrong, and more biased. If you look at the situation from a logical standpoint, there is no scenario in which UT should go over OU. They don't have an argument that can stand up to facts or logic, yet ESPN keeps saying they belong. Face it, ESPN just hates OU. ;)

Here's my conspiracy theory - they know OU is awesome. They've been pimping Florida all season, and they're contractually obligated to suck on the SEC's tit. Florida has a chance against UT, but has less of a chance against OU. If the SEC wins another MNC, they can save a little face and keep hyping the SEC.

;)

GPANDFF
12/9/2008, 05:05 PM
Mark May is my least favorite sports person. Hate him more than Vincent and Mack.

Isn't Craig James worse? And John freakin Saunders? They are the biggest UT pimps in media. I think Mark May is fairly unbiased. He and Lou don't have agendas outside ND and Pitt. IMO.

GPANDFF
12/9/2008, 05:15 PM
If he feels that way he isn't the only one. Who would you rather play for the NC from the following (ranked 1 for the easiest and 5 for the hardest):

USC
FLA
ALA
TT
UT

Close between Fla and USC for me but USC has a history of really manning up in the big games. Penn State can't be happy that they tend to overlook a lesser game now and then. Embarrassment on the horizon for them.

TopDawg
12/9/2008, 05:17 PM
What irritates me is that they DON'T present both arguments, ever. They'll say nice things about OU, like, "OU is a great team, probably one of the top 2 teams...but they shouldn't be there". They couldn't be more wrong, and more biased. If you look at the situation from a logical standpoint, there is no scenario in which UT should go over OU. They don't have an argument that can stand up to facts or logic, yet ESPN keeps saying they belong. Face it, ESPN just hates OU. ;)

Here's my conspiracy theory - they know OU is awesome. They've been pimping Florida all season, and they're contractually obligated to suck on the SEC's tit. Florida has a chance against UT, but has less of a chance against OU. If the SEC wins another MNC, they can save a little face and keep hyping the SEC.

;)

You've got too many winkies. I don't know if you're being serious or not!

Suffice it to say that I've heard them present three sides of the argument:

1) Texas should be going because they won the head-to-head
2) OU should be going because they have the better body of work
3) Both teams are good, but this system sucks

Anyway, whatever. I'm getting to the point where I'm becoming more tired of OU fans whining about ESPN than I am about Texas fans whining about head-to-head.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2008, 05:20 PM
I used to think May was unbiased - he just tends to jump on and off bandwagons including OU's. But on the BCS show he went off on OU losing the last 4 BCS bowls they have played. While it is fact, it had nothing whatsoever to do with the conversation about bowl selection *this year*. It was totally out of the blue and I'm thinking - WTF was that? Since the make-up of teams change every year, that must have been directed at OU or maybe Stoops. Or as others say, just to stir up emotions.

jwlynn64
12/9/2008, 05:21 PM
Probably can't and won't be done but it would be great the next time ESPN comes to Norman for gameday, only one person showed up with a cot and a sign that says: "I drew the short straw so I have to be here. Wake me when it's game time."

TopDawg
12/9/2008, 05:43 PM
But on the BCS show he went off on OU losing the last 4 BCS bowls they have played. While it is fact, it had nothing whatsoever to do with the conversation about bowl selection *this year*. It was totally out of the blue and I'm thinking - WTF was that? Since the make-up of teams change every year, that must have been directed at OU or maybe Stoops. Or as others say, just to stir up emotions.

If I'm thinking of the same part you're thinking of, it was in response to Herbie talking about how all OU's going to see for the next month is how Florida is the favorite and OU shouldn't be there and how that will serve to motivate him. He was talking about how that happens every year and it's "always" the team that gets the snub that ends up winning.

Then Mark, stupidly, made the comment about the last two bowl games and Kirk illustrated how that proved his point. It was Boise State and WVU who were hearing those things the past two years.

But then Mark, apparently still not understanding Kirk's point, mentioned the LSU and USC games as being national title games where OU didn't prepare well enough. Kirk really didn't have anything to say back to that, other than he (and Corso) thought that Stoops would have his guys ready to play in this game with all of the hype leading up to it.

I mean...wait...that can't be right. Herbstreit and Corso must've said something else...something more like "Stoops will have his guys ready to play in this game that they don't deserve to be in." ;)

So, it didn't seem to me like Mark's comment was so much "out of the blue" as it was "totally irrelevant" (although still true). I mean, it was a response to what Kirk was saying, but it was presented as a counter-argument but really didn't counter anything Kirk was saying.

Jdog
12/9/2008, 06:39 PM

they lost to Tennessee not Bama in the Sugar Bowl - Miami was offered to go to the Orange bowl to play us, before Penn State got the offer- but Jimmy turned it down.

Jdog
12/9/2008, 07:07 PM
If I'm thinking of the same part you're thinking of, it was in response to Herbie talking about how all OU's going to see for the next month is how Florida is the favorite and OU shouldn't be there and how that will serve to motivate him. He was talking about how that happens every year and it's "always" the team that gets the snub that ends up winning.

Then Mark, stupidly, made the comment about the last two bowl games and Kirk illustrated how that proved his point. It was Boise State and WVU who were hearing those things the past two years.

But then Mark, apparently still not understanding Kirk's point, mentioned the LSU and USC games as being national title games where OU didn't prepare well enough. Kirk really didn't have anything to say back to that, other than he (and Corso) thought that Stoops would have his guys ready to play in this game with all of the hype leading up to it.

I mean...wait...that can't be right. Herbstreit and Corso must've said something else...something more like "Stoops will have his guys ready to play in this game that they don't deserve to be in." ;)

So, it didn't seem to me like Mark's comment was so much "out of the blue" as it was "totally irrelevant" (although still true). I mean, it was a response to what Kirk was saying, but it was presented as a counter-argument but really didn't counter anything Kirk was saying.

ESPN is beating up on OU because they've been a flop in their BCS games since the Rose Bowl - so yes unfortunately we haven't won a BCS game since Washington State - and yes it’s been a little embarrassing.

and

Mark May is full of himself - even when he's trying to be nice. I met him a couple of years ago at the CFHF induction for Little Joe. Joe and May were inducted in the same year, and May had been one of the Pigs with the Redskins when Joe was there - so they were kind of old friends. May thought that I was with the University and kept asking me where Castiglone was (neither he nor anyone else from OU showed up).
May was very into getting all of the attention - in other words, he was giving his opinion to anyone who would listen - even the bellman at the hotel even the waiter at the hotel......
The best I can say about the guy is that he was approachable and friendly, he won the longest drive competition, and he has a stuningly beautiful daughter.

mseaton
12/9/2008, 10:36 PM
You want do what to ESPN?......

The BCS is considering a proposal from ESPN that would see all BCS bowl games, including the championship game, wind up on ESPN, sources familiar with the negotiations are saying.

Sources say Fox still has another five days to accept the BCS' proposal, which is seeking about a 50% annual increase over the current deal's $82.5 million annual fee. The BCS is looking for a four-year, $500 million deal, which would put the average annual payout at around $125 million.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/9/2008, 11:56 PM

I do believe that Miami lost to Tennessee 35-0 in the Sugar Bowl after throwing 5 picks. Not that it matters, but Miami did cost OU Troy Aikman for the next 2 seasons.

talsooner
12/10/2008, 09:02 AM
Get to ESPN with game day SIGNS.

"Fox Channels have better Sports coverage"
"NFL Channel beats ESPN"
"Break the ESPN monopoly,
Record everything and skip the commercials"

TexasLidig8r
12/10/2008, 12:10 PM
The sun rises in the east
The sun sets in the west
Water is wet
OU fans bitch, whine and complain about ESPN..

"IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!! ESPN AND THE MEDIA HATES US! LET'S BOYCOTT THEM!!! THEY PICK ON US!"

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2008, 12:19 PM
its a 24/7 sports network..they were more than likely thrilled that OU got in because that meant enough talking material to cover the next 30 days..

How do you avoid it? Watch something else til the season is over. I guarantee it won't be a talking point next season til OU-texas week

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 12:46 PM
The sun sets in the west
Water is wet
Lidig8r bitches, whines and complains about OU fans...

TexasLidig8r
12/10/2008, 02:03 PM
The sun sets in the west
Water is wet
Lidig8r makes a mere observation on the manner and intensity of the bitches, whines and complains from OU fans...

You needed some corrective surgery there Dawg.

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 02:20 PM
An observation is something you make. When you log on and share your observation with us is when it turns into bitching, whining and complaining.

TexasLidig8r
12/10/2008, 03:19 PM
An observation is something you make. When you log on and share your observation with us is when it turns into bitching, whining and complaining.

So, is it an observation if the subject matter you observe is not disclosed in some manner? An internal observation I suppose. However, unless the observation is disclosed in some manner, isn't it more accurately described as musings, or thoughts?

Doesn't the conveying of the information transform the subject from musings to observations?

Further, bitching, whining and complaining, by their very nature implies a wish or desire for change or alteration of the subject matter upon which a person bitches, whines and/or complains. In this instance, we both know that there will be no change to the status quo and the perceived bias by ESPN that is trumpeted as the truth on here will remain as constant as the Northern Star.

As you, yourself have opined on another thread, you are tired of the complaints against ESPN. Could this not more accurately be perceived as bitching, whining and complaining? Certainly your observations are respected by me as being substantive and based in fact.

It would appear as if our observations are as one... connected by reason, logic and fact based criteria.

I salute you sir.

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 03:28 PM
I never said you were wrong...just that you were as prone to predictable behavior as these OU fans you speak of.

And I'm, predictably, going to call you on it even though I agree with your sentiment. :D

TexasLidig8r
12/10/2008, 04:04 PM
I never said you were wrong...just that you were as prone to predictable behavior as these OU fans you speak of.

And I'm, predictably, going to call you on it even though I agree with your sentiment. :D

BUT... since you are one of the more level headed ones on here, I could predict that you would predict that I would be predictable in terms of predicting OU fans general hatred toward ESPN.

TopDawg
12/10/2008, 04:08 PM
I knew you were going to say that.

texas bandman
12/10/2008, 04:22 PM
Well, then we root on our team to win, and root for Ohio St. A dominant performance over Florida will leave no doubt in anyone's mind.

Unfortunately, I'll be rootin' for the shorthorns (as much as I HATE to). One of the big differences in perception of the Big XII and the SEC is that all they all root for the SEC. I don't know how many times I here them chanting "S-E-C, S-E-C ad nauseum". Since they are one unified voice, there's a perception that the SEC is the best thing since sliced bread. The Big XII was better this year and I want everyone to win their bowls and shut up those SEC chants.

"BIG-12, BIG-12, BIG-12, etc."

Bourbon St Sooner
12/10/2008, 05:30 PM
The sun sets in the west
Water is wet
OU fans bitch, whine and complain about ESPN..

"IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!! ESPN AND THE MEDIA HATES US! LET'S BOYCOTT THEM!!! THEY PICK ON US!"

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

It's almost Christmas. Shouldn't you be extorting money from old ladies or maybe raising funds to fly a plane over a football stadium or something?

TexasLidig8r
12/10/2008, 05:38 PM
It's almost Christmas. Shouldn't you be extorting money from old ladies or maybe raising funds to fly a plane over a football stadium or something?

Well.. I was trying to accept bids for the vacant senate seat in Illinois but the Illinois governor beat me to that.

Soonersince57
12/10/2008, 05:43 PM
Well.. I was trying to accept bids for the vacant senate seat in Illinois but the Illinois governor beat me to that.

:D

It's still open . . .

ratherthanlater
12/10/2008, 10:05 PM
How about we fly a plane with a banner over Bristol? I got five on it.

Lott's Bandana
12/10/2008, 11:05 PM
Unfortunately, I'll be rootin' for the shorthorns (as much as I HATE to). One of the big differences in perception of the Big XII and the SEC is that all they all root for the SEC. I don't know how many times I here them chanting "S-E-C, S-E-C ad nauseum". Since they are one unified voice, there's a perception that the SEC is the best thing since sliced bread. The Big XII was better this year and I want everyone to win their bowls and shut up those SEC chants.

"BIG-12, BIG-12, BIG-12, etc."

Nope.

Sorry.

Out.

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2008, 04:20 AM
BUT... since you are one of the more level headed ones on here, I could predict that you would predict that I would be predictable in terms of predicting OU fans general hatred toward ESPN.

OKVizzini...so:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.
Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You've made your decision then?
Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait til I get going! Now, where was I?
Man in Black: Australia.
Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're just stalling now.
Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.
Vizzini: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE POISON IS!
Man in Black: Then make your choice.
Vizzini: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?
Vizzini: [Vizzini gestures up and away from the table. Roberts looks. Vizzini swaps the goblets]
Man in Black: What? Where? I don't see anything.
Vizzini: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter.First, let's drink. Me from my glass, and you from yours.
Man in Black, Vizzini: [they drink ]
Man in Black: You guessed wrong.
Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Vizzini: [Vizzini stops suddenly, and falls dead to the right]
Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was your cup that was poisoned.
Man in Black: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

And so, we have built up an immunity to whining and politics so we're in the BCS championship game and uterus gets to play flag football with the little televen runner-up. Enjoy the iocane airplane banner boys!

Lott's Bandana
12/11/2008, 10:17 AM
Incontheevable!