PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Jynx and all the distractions that go with it.

MojoRisen
12/9/2008, 11:02 AM
I am sure we are all aware of the Heisman Jynx, now that may be mythical but the distractions and media circus that go with it can really be a problem...

Troy Smith? Gained 20 pounds and showed up slow agains UF
Wienke? Well he couldn't get it done..
White? Did not play well in the MNC's injury or not.
Lienhart/Bush? Young should have won it-

I am sure the list goes on and on - I want Sam and the bronze statue more than anyone! When I checked out the statues for the first time last year I thought they were awesome and a huge recruiting tool!

Would anyone object if Sam only took a couple of interviews until after the MNC if he wins? Is that impossible to do to the media?

They should really give that trophy out after the MNC - it is only a distraction and isn't really fair to the winner if they are trying to prepare for the biggest game of their careers..

meoveryouxinfinity
12/9/2008, 11:05 AM
I agree, I said earlier in the year I don't want any of that Heisman jinx! But, because I graduated from PCN with Sam, it would be kinda cool to have the stiff arm trophy.

Sam is a VERY focused guy. I don't think he will let his own head, the heisman, or being in New York City distract him.

Knippz
12/9/2008, 11:22 AM
Leinhart won it the year SUC beat us in the NC. If he can do it, SAM CAN!

Mad Dog Madsen
12/9/2008, 11:39 AM
Leinhart won it the year SUC beat us in the NC. If he can do it, SAM CAN!

(Typical Soonerfan.com Poster) But.. but... we didn't... What game are you talkin about?!? We never played 'em! (Typical Soonerfan.com Poster) :rolleyes:

Mad Dog Madsen
12/9/2008, 11:40 AM
You're lucky to still be green Knippz. I alwayz get negged for blatant sarcasm...

MojoRisen
12/9/2008, 11:52 AM
Even Tebow said he would not do nearly as many interviews if he were too win this year.

I think Troy Smith was the most disapointing of late... He really came in out of shape.

Can you turn down Interviews and Dave Letterman with out a big backlash?

Knippz
12/9/2008, 11:56 AM
(Typical Soonerfan.com Poster) But.. but... we didn't... What game are you talkin about?!? We never played 'em! (Typical Soonerfan.com Poster) :rolleyes:

What are you talking about? We played them in the 03-04 season for the MNC, and lost 55-19. One month earlier, Leinhart won the Heisman, with AD placing 2nd, and White placing 3rd.

SUC = USC.

As much as I hate to admit it, the game DID happen.

Knippz
12/9/2008, 11:58 AM
You're lucky to still be green Knippz. I alwayz get negged for blatant sarcasm...

I haven't gotten a single NEG yet. Thanks though.

OK2LA
12/9/2008, 12:08 PM
I am sure we are all aware of the Heisman Jynx, now that may be mythical but the distractions and media circus that go with it can really be a problem...

I am sure the list goes on and on -

One does not equal the other. There are some that have won the award that have "faltered" and others that have done well.

By the way is a Jynx a long lost cousin of the Lynx?:pop:

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/9/2008, 12:20 PM

If you're such a nOOb that you can't get the implication of SUC and Leinart, you deserve all the red and neg spek. If you are such a nOOb to not remember the MNC against SUC, I suggest soonersports.com and soonerstats.com to catch up with the rest of us. It seems you may be in the minority of what you think the "typical soonerfan poster is".

ClintonSooner
12/9/2008, 12:30 PM

Maybe its because he isnt a complete f*cktard...

kinda stupid to put down fellow posters... if you dont like our short memories git out! :cool:

MojoRisen
12/9/2008, 12:45 PM
One does not equal the other. There are some that have won the award that have "faltered" and others that have done well.

By the way is a Jynx a long lost cousin of the Lynx?:pop:

That's pretty funney - I try and get too the point and rely on spell check too often these days.

I am just curious though- would it be a really bad move to shun the media if you won the Heisman? Would there be a backlash if you said hold all interviews until after the season with exception of maybe 3 or so appearances.

AimForCenterMass
12/9/2008, 01:51 PM

Don't forget last year. Tebow won the Heisman and fell to a Michigan team that couldn't seem to handle App State on their own turf.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/9/2008, 03:24 PM
If you're such a nOOb that you can't get the implication of SUC and Leinart, you deserve all the red and neg spek. If you are such a nOOb to not remember the MNC against SUC, I suggest soonersports.com and soonerstats.com to catch up with the rest of us. It seems you may be in the minority of what you think the "typical soonerfan poster is".

So when did Soonerfans.com decide to remember this? I alwayz thought yall said it was the dreaded "GAME OF WHICH WE DO NOT SPEAK!" ...O yeah I def remember the game. I guess you just missed the sarcastic smiley huh?

Knippz
12/9/2008, 03:46 PM
So when did Soonerfans.com decide to remember this? I alwayz thought yall said it was the dreaded "GAME OF WHICH WE DO NOT SPEAK!" ...O yeah I def remember the game. I guess you just missed the sarcastic smiley huh?

The shot at me for being green? Either clarify or don't take shots.

the_ouskull
12/9/2008, 06:34 PM
What the sh*t are all of you people babbling about? This thread is about Sam's ability to avoid any (potential) Heisman jinx. But, by starting a thread like this, are you not now jinxing his ability to win the Heisman in the first place?

Jus' sayin'...

the_ouskull

SoonerNerd
12/9/2008, 06:38 PM
Statue or not, I'm pretty sure all Sam wants is something Crystal...

Go Sooners!

Mr2Cents
12/9/2008, 07:41 PM
Heh, you guys sound like us Gator fans on the subject. There's certainly something to be said for the proverbial "jinx," as Tebow, Weinke, White, Bush, Toretta, Crouch, et al went on to lose bowl games after hoisting the hardware. On the flip side, you've got Charlie Ward, Danny Wuerfful, and Matt Lienart who won all the marbles in spite of winning the Heisman.

Should Bradford come away with the trophy - which I expect - I am of the opinion any side effects on your side may be mitigated by our issue of Florida assistants (namely Charlie Strong, Dan Mullen, and Dan McCarney) taking interviews and entertaining potential advancement opportunities at other schools. FSU fans down here are still wailing about "what might have been" had OC Mark Richt not been sidetracked by his new head coaching gig at Georgia prior to the '01 Orange Bowl.

On another note (assuming the award comes down to Bradford or Tebow), I imagine the team of the runner-up will feel vicariously slighted and show up with a vengeance to prove to the voters they picked the wrong man.

MojoRisen
12/9/2008, 07:42 PM
I don't see why Sam can't win it, go home and practice. I was asking if there would be a media fall out if he only did a couple of Interviews???

I want him to win, but I think it is high time coaches explain the jinx and tell the kids to do all the shows after they win the crystal ball.

Some arse hats- like Cedric Benson would say that he would rather win the heisman than the MNC or beat Oklahoma. I know it is a huge honor and it is kind of far reaching for anyone to say Sam can't do the Heisman Circuit if he won. I would just prefer that he didn't if that was possible with out a media bashing.

OUHOMER
12/9/2008, 08:48 PM

Heh, i understood what you were trying to say ;)

StormySooner-IN
12/9/2008, 09:55 PM
I believe Tebow won it last year, and played an average game, and Florida got beat by a Michigan team everyone thought had no chance.

OK2LA
12/9/2008, 10:35 PM
Heh, you guys sound like us Gator fans on the subject.

Forgot you were a Gator fan. Damnit. I hope our relationship with you doesn't sour after the game . . . After all - we hate who ever we lose to, and you Fark whoever loses to you - This is heading for disaster.

Let's head this off at the pass quickly . . .