PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Governor Arrested

swardboy
12/9/2008, 10:18 AM
Wow! He's accused of selling the Senate seat vacated by Obama, among many other things.

Two Illinois Govs in a row afoul of the law.

SoonerStormchaser
12/9/2008, 10:22 AM
Oh my gawd! Another politician being a politician! Surely you jest!

swardboy
12/9/2008, 10:24 AM
Oh my gawd! Another politician being a politician! Surely you jest!

It's a virus in Illinois apparently.:D

Oooooo.....BHO is from Illinois.......:gary:

Hot Rod
12/9/2008, 10:31 AM
Oprah, don't you know everything isn't for sale!

Ike
12/9/2008, 11:03 AM
meh. It's just another tuesday here in Illinois...

BillyBall
12/9/2008, 11:09 AM
Unfortunately, I think along with Louisiana and New Jersey, we have the most corrupt state government in the union.

This sort of thing happens way too often here.

Ike
12/9/2008, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately, I think along with Louisiana and New Jersey, we have the most corrupt state government in the union.

Yes it does...but nobody here knows of any other way to run a place...

We're taking bets at the office on how long before Daly goes the same route.

My money's on 'Never'. He learned from the legend.

Half a Hundred
12/9/2008, 11:30 AM
Yes it does...but nobody here knows of any other way to run a place...

We're taking bets at the office on how long before Daly goes the same route.

My money's on 'Never'. He learned from the legend.

Yep. Blagojevich just got stupid, and forgot to consult with Chicago before going through with it. He got uppity and thought that HE ran the state. Ha.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/9/2008, 11:43 AM
Wanna bet Daly turned him in...

OklahomaTuba
12/9/2008, 12:33 PM
Oh good Lord.

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 12:58 PM
That's just stupid.

How do you expect to NOT get caught doing that? Just think about it-all someone who wants the Senate seat has to do is keep any correspondence and turn it in to the authorities, then run on being the reformer who refused to play ball with the corrupt.

Whet
12/9/2008, 12:58 PM
Wanna bet Daly turned him in...
Probably so!
He wanted Jesse to pay $1 MM for the Senate seat for his boy Jesse Jr.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/9/2008, 01:40 PM
Probably so!
He wanted Jesse to pay $1 MM for the Senate seat for his boy Jesse Jr.

Wha!! :eek:

The consumate shake down artist getting his own shake down??? Amazing... Chicago and Illinois politics could have their own comedy show on TV.

TUSooner
12/9/2008, 02:13 PM
At least give Louisiana a little credit. We (including "me" because I live in that district) threw William "Dollar Bill" Jefferson out of Congress!!!! He's the guy who had a freezer full of bribe money.
Nobody really knows who this Vietnamese dude is that we elected, but Anh "Joseph" Cao (evidently pronounced "Gao") is not Bill Jefferson, and that's the main thing. :D Hey, it's a start!!

Honestly, I was more happy about Cao upsetting Jefferson than I was about OU hitting Mizzou for 60.

Okla-homey
12/9/2008, 02:14 PM

Crook County, Illinois.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/1209081rod1.html

TheHumanAlphabet
12/9/2008, 03:25 PM
So it says Blago is financially strapped. How bad is it and how is he in IL politics and isn't stinking rich???

DBrown
12/9/2008, 04:48 PM
Is this the window of opportunity for Ron Zook?

OklahomaTuba
12/9/2008, 05:16 PM
Is this the window of opportunity for Ron Zook?

He couldn't F'k it up any more than what he did to Florida.

Jacie
12/9/2008, 05:28 PM
Only state governor I've met in person . . . David Hall.

Whet
12/9/2008, 05:41 PM
Read the complaint

HERE (http://media.suntimes.com/images/cds/MP3/blagojevich_criminal_complaint2.pdf)

and Press Release (http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/acrobat/2008-12/43789468.pdf)

Okla-homey
12/9/2008, 06:19 PM
It should be stated, at present, there is no evidence the President-Elect, nor anyone on his team, was aware of the indicted Illinois Governor's alleged felonious solicitation of bribes, abuse of public trust and conspiracy to commit fraud.:texan:

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 06:24 PM
Homey, I think that there's evidence that the Governor did indeed try to shake the President-elect down and he (or his staff) refused to play ball. The indictment mentions some of this, I think.

Okla-homey
12/9/2008, 06:34 PM
Read the complaint

HERE (http://media.suntimes.com/images/cds/MP3/blagojevich_criminal_complaint2.pdf)

and Press Release (http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/acrobat/2008-12/43789468.pdf)

I love the Trib. A guy named Colonel Robert "Bob" McCormick, who, I must hasten to add, was a little politically to the right of Ronald Reagan, made that a paper a great voice of the conservative wing of American politics.

He railed against FDR's excessess and fought the Democrat party his entire life with every sinew of his being. A real conservative. Not a faux-con/libertarian.

I am proud to say, Bob McCormick served in WWI w/General Charles P. Summerall, later President of my undergrad alma-mater, and McCormick donated a fabulous beach house, which still stands, and a hundred acres on the idyllic Isle of Palms outside of Charleston for the perpetual enjoyment of cadets and their dates..:D

Okla-homey
12/9/2008, 06:39 PM
Homey, I think that there's evidence that the Governor did indeed try to shake the President-elect down and he (or his staff) refused to play ball. The indictment mentions some of this, I think.

There are a lot of Chicago-land concentric circles that involve the Guv and the President-Elect. As a minimum, I suspect there will be implications and ramifications as to whom BHO brings to DC from his home in Chicago.

Rogue
12/9/2008, 07:22 PM
Sad chart in this MSNBC article about 3 other Guvs in ILL that have gone to prison in the past 35 years. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28139155/)

Okla-homey
12/9/2008, 07:29 PM
At this stage, the ultimate fallout and impact on the incoming administration is unclear. I recall something initially far less sexy in the form of some smelly real estate deals being a major distraction for one WJC.

Ike
12/9/2008, 07:30 PM

from the smoking gun article:

In a November 11 conversation, Blagojevich remarked that he knew Obama wanted Valerie Jarrett, a longtime confidante, to succeed him, "but they're not willing to give me anything except appreciation. **** them."

Seriously...read the whole indictment. It's quite amazing some of the things he said. My quote above came from the end of item 104 in the indictment. The earlier sections of that have some truly amazing stuff (but unfortunately copy-paste doesn't work :( )

StoopTroup
12/9/2008, 08:05 PM
I was listening to Sean Hannity on my way Home from Work today and thought Sean was going to wet himself as it seems he thinks our next President is guilty of trying to sell off his Senate Seat.

I just see a whole lot of money going down the drain unless there is some real substantial evidence. From what I could make out of Hannity's implications...it could really be just him and some others trying to make something out of what Obama said today in his press conference.

I can understand folks concerns if indeed there was some sort of talk about who should fill Obama's shoes but to seriously think the position was up for bid to the guy with the most to offer seems like a big stretch to me. If you were leaving a position you were proud to have been elected for to become the next POTUS.....I just don't see where you were going to put that position in jeopardy for a few bucks when you had just one heck of a raise come January. I just don't think Obama is that stupid.

I don't know...maybe he is and our Country is getting ready to see a huge mess bigger than Watergate. Wouldn't that really help our Country.

I hate alarmists. If this pans out to be true...I'll apologize and even send Hannity a personal letter.....but what I heard today implied on his show...really makes me sick and a little bit mad.

If Obama is truly guilty of selling off his Senate Seat...he shouldn't even be put into the office. I just have a really bad feeling that Hannity's claim that Obama is guilty is all a bit of sour grapes. Fox should consider suspending him if it's not true. The guy is really stretching IMO.

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 08:09 PM
Er, ST, Obama doesn't have the ability to sell off his former Seante seat. The soon to be ex-Governor of Illinois was the one with that ability.

StoopTroup
12/9/2008, 08:20 PM
Er, ST, Obama doesn't have the ability to sell off his former Seante seat. The soon to be ex-Governor of Illinois was the one with that ability.

Froze...

I understand that but Hannity was really going off the the deep end saying that Obama had to be in contact with the Governor and knew of all these conversations...blah blah blah....and that Obama said that he hadn't been in contact with the Governor's Office thus making Obama guilty of a cover-up or worse.

I was really taken aback by it.

What he was implying was unreal.

I think he might need to be medicated and evaluated.

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 08:23 PM
I don't know that there's anything per se illegal about having a conversation like "Hey, I want you to appoint this person." "What do I get in return?" "Gratitude."

The indictment states that there was contact between the Governor and at least Obama's people, but it also clearly states from the Governor's own words that the Obama people weren't going to participate.

StoopTroup
12/9/2008, 08:25 PM
I don't know that there's anything per se illegal about having a conversation like "Hey, I want you to appoint this person." "What do I get in return?" "Gratitude."

The indictment states that there was contact between the Governor and at least Obama's people, but it also clearly states from the Governor's own words that the Obama people weren't going to participate.

I know...

That's why I couldn't believe what I was hearing from Hannity.

Hey maybe I was tired and just misunderstood what Hannity was saying...but it sure didn't seem that way.

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 08:26 PM
So I take it this is the first time you've listened to Sean Hannity?

StoopTroup
12/9/2008, 08:35 PM
So I take it this is the first time you've listened to Sean Hannity?

No...lol.

Here's the deal. Just from Hannity's own lead in on his show you can tell he wasn't happy with Obama using his name during the Campaign. I know and completely understand he was a McCain guy too. I have watched Hannity and Colmes for some time. Sean has his own following...same as Rush. Colmes is there to lob softballs for balance. I understand all these things.

Did you listen to Sean's show around 3:30 central today?

If not...I can understand why your asking me. It was some of the most far reaching BS I think I've ever heard him spew. I really don't understand what he intends to accomplish from it either. I know Hannity is going to try and make things difficult for the next Administration but wow.

I'd like to hear McCain's take on what was said on his show today.

IBleedCrimson
12/9/2008, 09:58 PM
llinois = officially the most corrupt state in the union

swardboy
12/9/2008, 10:21 PM
Wouldn't Obama be in some kind of heat if he were approached for a financial favor in order to get his choice of next Senator, and DIDN'T report such bribery to the proper authority?

Not saying that's what went down, just want an official's ruling here.

Oh, and IT'S BUSH'S FAULT!

Ike
12/9/2008, 11:22 PM
llinois = officially the most corrupt state in the union

Man Lands on Moon!

swardboy
12/10/2008, 04:08 PM
So, Jesse Jackson, Jr. is holding a press conference after he's exposed to be "candidate #5." I can't wait to hear why he offered $1,000,000 for Obama's senate seat.

Whet
12/10/2008, 07:14 PM
Was there ever any doubt he was candidate #5?

Okla-homey
12/10/2008, 08:10 PM
NOTICE: No blog reading or am talk radio contibuted to this in any way

This thing is getting very interesting. The poor guy isn't even going to get a honeymoon. If the President-Elect is half as smart as I think he is, he'll 'fess up to knowing about this stuff now, if he does know anything. My money's on him knowing about it. HTF does the most important Illinois politician since Lincoln emerge from Chicago-land and not know about this stuff? Cop to it. Then ask for forgiveness.

The folks will give BHO a pass now. Maybe not a year from now. And it would avoid the distractions and pain-in-the-arsedness of a newly appointed Special Prosecutor/Independent Counsel* on a fishing expedition who very likely might Tripp, as in Linda, over something that could paralyze the White House. Especially now. This guy already has a tough row to hoe. Maybe even tougher than W's after 9/11.

Eventually, especially after the US Atty starts deposing people, and gives the Guv and his evile henchmen the bare-lightbulb treatment, the truth will come out. Blogo seems like a guy who might make a deal to save himself from prison involving diming people out.

Woe to BHO is he disavows all this now, only to be busted in a lie a year from now. Remember, WJC's finger-wagging followed by the lip-biting confession and apology speech? He was unable to accomplish anything on his agenda after that. And his VP lost the election as a result of Clinton-fatigue blowback (pardon the pun.)

Of course, with a donk controlled House and Senate, no danger of impeachment, but it could hamstring the BHO administration and his ability to lead. And that would succ for all of us, especially since it looks like BHO's lining up a centrist administration and is re-neging on all that populist and progessive crap he used on the campaign trail to fire-up the donk base.

So, if anyone can get this to the President-Elect, tell him to admit everything NOW, and save his ability to lead us out of the swamp.

*In 1978, a Democratic Congress was determined to curb the powers of the President and other senior executive branch officials due in part to the Watergate scandal and related events such as the "Saturday Night Massacre." They drafted the Ethics in Government Act, creating a special prosecutor (later changed to Independent Counsel) position, which could be used by Congress or the Attorney General to investigate individuals holding or formerly holding certain high positions in the federal government and in national Presidential election campaign organizations. Ken Starr is the most famous I.C. evar.

Whet
12/11/2008, 12:39 AM
from the local newspaper:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3072/3099834120_339ff90c54_o_d.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/11/2008, 12:56 AM
I just hope he somehow proves he was born in the USA, as required for a President.

Ike
12/11/2008, 01:11 AM
NOTICE: No blog reading or am talk radio contibuted to this in any way

This thing is getting very interesting. The poor guy isn't even going to get a honeymoon. If the President-Elect is half as smart as I think he is, he'll 'fess up to knowing about this stuff now, if he does know anything. My money's on him knowing about it. HTF does the most important Illinois politician since Lincoln emerge from Chicago-land and not know about this stuff? Cop to it. Then ask for forgiveness.

The folks will give BHO a pass now. Maybe not a year from now. And it would avoid the distractions and pain-in-the-arsedness of a newly appointed Special Prosecutor/Independent Counsel* on a fishing expedition who very likely might Tripp, as in Linda, over something that could paralyze the White House. Especially now. This guy already has a tough row to hoe. Maybe even tougher than W's after 9/11.

Eventually, especially after the US Atty starts deposing people, and gives the Guv and his evile henchmen the bare-lightbulb treatment, the truth will come out. Blogo seems like a guy who might make a deal to save himself from prison involving diming people out.

Woe to BHO is he disavows all this now, only to be busted in a lie a year from now. Remember, WJC's finger-wagging followed by the lip-biting confession and apology speech? He was unable to accomplish anything on his agenda after that. And his VP lost the election as a result of Clinton-fatigue blowback (pardon the pun.)

Of course, with a donk controlled House and Senate, no danger of impeachment, but it could hamstring the BHO administration and his ability to lead. And that would succ for all of us, especially since it looks like BHO's lining up a centrist administration and is re-neging on all that populist and progessive crap he used on the campaign trail to fire-up the donk base.

So, if anyone can get this to the President-Elect, tell him to admit everything NOW, and save his ability to lead us out of the swamp.

*In 1978, a Democratic Congress was determined to curb the powers of the President and other senior executive branch officials due in part to the Watergate scandal and related events such as the "Saturday Night Massacre." They drafted the Ethics in Government Act, creating a special prosecutor (later changed to Independent Counsel) position, which could be used by Congress or the Attorney General to investigate individuals holding or formerly holding certain high positions in the federal government and in national Presidential election campaign organizations. Ken Starr is the most famous I.C. evar.

I completely agree. IMO, BHO *may* not have known anything about this, but I can see no way whatsoever that someone in his cadre knew nothing about this. In a realistic sense, I'd imagine that knowledge of this perhaps got as high as Rahm Emannuel, but I would kind of expect that a good chief of staff would keep knowledge of this kind of thing as far from the president-elect as possible.

Frozen Sooner
12/11/2008, 01:30 AM
I have a feeling that Rahm Emmanuel may be the one who fired some info DOJ's way.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/11/2008, 01:28 PM
Either that and he has testimony for a GJ or he is involved... He has been very quiet.

StoopTroup
12/12/2008, 04:34 PM
Hey Froze...

Hannity seems to have scaled it back a little today. Guess they got him back on his meds.

He sounded more fair and less balanced today. :D

OULenexaman
12/12/2008, 05:29 PM
JJ Jr. looks scared white....

bent rider
12/12/2008, 05:36 PM

I'm not an Obama supporter, but it seems like overall he is squeaky clean on this one. In fact there is mention that they wanted nothing to do with the Gov. So he oughta be saying that instead of denying his people ever talked to the Gov.

Just weird how he practically denies even knowing the Gov (Like: "Uh, I've never seen him before", then Johnny Cochran whips out the photo of him and the Gov shaking hands at the Governors' conference. Jury is stunned.)

StoopTroup
12/12/2008, 09:11 PM
Just weird how he practically denies even knowing the Gov

Couldn't agree with you more BR.

If Obama is going to be effective...he's gonna need to help execute guys like this IMO. If he doesn't....we've got four years of time wasting to do. We may have that anyway.

If your going to talk the talk...walk the walk. It's why I became disillusioned with Prez Bush. I think he gave up on finding OBL. I want to see that guy planted.

OULenexaman
12/12/2008, 09:34 PM
I have a feeling that Rahm Emmanuel may be the one who fired some info DOJ's way.

And he is not speaking to the media....this guy seems dirty to me...stay tuned
:pop:

OULenexaman
12/12/2008, 10:01 PM
from the local newspaper:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3072/3099834120_339ff90c54_o_d.jpg

yep..the local media here is something else.....so what area are you at Whet?

I'm in EGV....work in Northlake. Play in Itasca...

Whet
12/12/2008, 10:03 PM
You gotta understand - everything is connected in Chicago and is part of the Daley machine. It all goes through da Mayor. Blago, Rahm, Barry, da Mayor, the ward bosses Mike Madigan and Dick Mell, all are beholding to da Mayor.

ome pics from Shy-town:

http://snsimages.tribune.com/media/photo/2008-12/43790461.jpg
Blago, Barry, and da Mayor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-11/43226994.jpg
Rahm and da Mayor
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-11/33786565.jpg
L - Mike Madigan (father of Lisa Madigan, the Illinois AG who wants to get rid of Blago, so she can become the new governor), 3 pols, da Mayor, Blago, another pol.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-10/43127276.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-06/39881785.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-08/41753107.jpg
Alderman Thomas Keane, left, Mayor Richard Daley's leader in the City Council, confers with the mayor during a council session in 1969. Keane, like other key Daley associates and aides, eventually was convicted and sent to jail by federal prosecutors.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-12/43728731.jpg
Mayor Richard Daley (center) talks with Ald. Dick Mell (33rd) in the City Council Chamber. Mell is Blago's father-inlaw.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-12/43729360.jpg
Dick Durbin, da Mayor, ex-Governor, current Federal prisoner, Congresswoman Biggert.

OULenexaman
12/13/2008, 12:03 AM
Good stuff Whet....but you left out the Toddler...can't forget about the CC board prez....he's a work of art...

Whet
12/13/2008, 01:13 AM
Good stuff Whet....but you left out the Toddler...can't forget about the CC board prez....he's a work of art...
Oh yes, son of the drooler!

You know there is a Daley brother on the Cook County Board, too!

Okla-homey
12/13/2008, 08:31 AM
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8523/977153d40540534b2395374dx0.png