PDA

View Full Version : My article for school paper

colinreturn
12/9/2008, 01:26 AM
I was recently asked to be a guest writer for my school newspaper, they asked me to write about college football. and guessed what i picked! :texan:

Any comments,constructive criticism, or anything would help.

45-35. SETTLED ON A NEUTRAL FIELD. I’ve been hearing that a bit too much lately. Sounds pretty simple, right? Texas beat Oklahoma; therefore they should have the right of way for the Big 12 championship and BCS national championship games. But here comes Texas Tech, also storming in at 11-1, causing a crazy 3-way tie and has every college football enthusiast picking sides and, apparently, using flawed logic. The obvious problem with a 3-way tie is that there is no true winner, thus eliminating the head to head only mindset from the argument. 45-35, 39-33, 65-21. Texas beat Oklahoma, Texas Tech beat Texas, and Oklahoma beat Texas Tech. Most pundits have considered this a 2-team race between Texas and Oklahoma, thus giving Texas the nod due to the head to head. But wait, what about Texas Tech, everyone gets to arbitrarily remove them conversation? That’s not very fair to Oklahoma, who convincingly shellacked Texas Tech with 2 weeks left in the regular season. So, lets play the IF game. What IF Oklahoma edged out Texas Tech, still getting their win, but not as convincingly. Would everyone still be discrediting Texas Tech from the conversation? No. To say that it’s a 2 team race between Oklahoma and Texas because Oklahoma floored Texas Tech is unfair to Oklahoma and discredits them for pounding Tech. What IF Oklahoma lost to Missouri in the Big 12 championship game, and Texas went to the big game? Ill tell you exactly what would have happened, Mack Brown and all Texas fans would suddenly shut up about head to head. If Texas should go ahead of Oklahoma because of head to head, shouldn’t Texas Tech go ahead of Texas to the Fiesta Bowl? Hmm maybe you should choose your arguments carefully, before they come back to bite. I have always said its not if you lose, its when you lose. Luckily for Oklahoma, OU-Texas is in early October, not Late November. Oklahoma’s last 5 games included 3 ranked teams, scoring 60 points in all 5. If that’s not a way to prove your worthiness in a crazy tiebreaker that comes down to the tiniest of margins, I don’t know what is. Oklahoma deserves to play for the National Championship just as much as Texas does, and lucky for them It worked out this year. Texas got screwed from the title game, Texas Tech from the Fiesta Bowl. I guess that’s what happens when you play in a division like the Big 12 South. If you really want a BCS bowl bid, join the MAC or WAC, play cupcake teams the entire year and go 12-0. But I guess that is an argument for a whole other day. The bottom line is, when you lose, especially in a conference like the Big 12, you give up your right to have a true argument to play for anything, and give it up to fate. By fate I mean 5 computers, 61 coaches, and 114 cronies.

JLEW1818
12/9/2008, 01:31 AM
I like

tommieharris91
12/9/2008, 01:40 AM
6 computers.

12/9/2008, 03:07 AM
Good jorb.

Might throw a ¶ or two in there. ;)

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/9/2008, 07:23 AM
"...everyone gets to arbitrarily remove them from the conversation? That’s not very fair to Oklahoma, who convincingly ...'

colinreturn
12/9/2008, 09:12 AM
"...everyone gets to arbitrarily remove them from the conversation? That’s not very fair to Oklahoma, who convincingly ...'

heh. thanks.

colinreturn
12/9/2008, 09:14 AM
Good jorb.

Might throw a ¶ or two in there. ;)

i was going to, but i was told it was going to be in column format

MamaMia
12/9/2008, 11:08 AM
Very good but I think you meant to say Texas didn't get screwed since we all play by the same rules.

You may also want to add that OU was the only team in the nation who won games against 5 ranked teams.

Soonersince57
12/9/2008, 11:13 AM
Good point colinreturn on the timing of the losses which I've believed is the real argument rather than the scores.

12/9/2008, 11:14 AM
You can still indent paragraphs in a column. Just makes it easier to read...

Dan Thompson
12/9/2008, 11:21 AM
Good job. Have someone read your post out load to you and you will fine things that could use a 'tune-up', like,

"Texas the nod due to the head to head. But wait, what about Texas Tech, everyone gets to arbitrarily remove them from the conversation? That’s not very fair to Oklahoma, who convincingly..."

colinreturn
12/9/2008, 04:56 PM
thanks for all the helps

birddog
12/9/2008, 04:59 PM
"right of way to the big 12 championship."

good job A-. :D