PDA

View Full Version : Common Opponents (SEC D v. Big XII D)

HateTheWhorns
12/8/2008, 07:38 PM
Big XII fans say the SEC defensive ratings are the result of poor offenses while SEC fans say the Big XII offensive ratings are the result of poor defenses. In the absence of head-to-head competition, the only meaningful way to break this down is by common opponents. Here is what I found:

Common Opponents
CU d. W Va (17-14) while Aub l. W Va (17-34)
CU l. FSU (21-39) while UF d. FSU (45-15)
KU d. La Tech (29-0) while MSU l. La Tech (14-22)
KSU d. UNT (45-6) while LSU d. UNT (41-3)
KSU l. UL (29-38) while UK d. UL (27-2)
OSU d. Troy (55-24) while LSU d. Troy (40-31)
TU d. Rice (52-10) while Vandy d. Rice (38-21)
TAMU l. Miami (23-41) while UF d. Miami (26-3)
TAMU l. Ark St. (14-18) while Ala d. Ark St. (35-0)

Big XII was 5-4 against common opponents with avg win of 32-21. The Big XII was favored in 5 of the 9 games with one upset win and one upset loss. The one Pick-Em game was KSU - UL which UL won. SEC was 7-2 against the same opponents and won by an avg of 31-15. SEC was favored in 7 of the games and won them all. The only Pick-Em game was AU v. WVa which WVa won. Nothing real material here to differentiate the conferences as both conferences essentially won the games they were supposed to win.

Head-To-Head
TU d. Ark (52-10). One of the Big XIIs best playing one of the SEC's worst. SEC opponents went 6-2 agsint Ark and won by an avg score of 31-21. Excluding UF & Ala, Ark lost by an avg of 27-25 against its six remaining opponents. The only notable stat here is that UF and Ala took care of business while the rest of the conference struggled to beat Arkie.

Games against Ranked OOC Opponents (per BCS)

Big XII Overall Record (38-10)
OU d. #11 TCU 35-10
OU d. #12 Cincy - 52-26
NU l. #19 Va Tech 30-35

SEC Overall Record (41-11)
MSU l. #14 Ga Tech 7-38
UGA l. #14 Ga Tech 42-45

Neither conference had that many games against ranked opponents outside of conference. Big XII was 2-1 and SEC was 0-2.

Bad Losses against N-C Opponents
SEC
UT v. UCLA
UT v. Wyo.
Vandy v. Duke
Ole Miss v. WF
MSU v. La Tech
USC v. Clemson
Aub v. W Va

Big XII
TAMU v. Ark St.
TAMU v. Miami
KSU v. Louisville

There were several bad OOC losses for the SEC while I could only find three for the Big XII. These include games in which the Big XII/SEC teams were favored or even and lost.

Good wins against N-C Opponents

SEC
Ala v. Clemson
UF v. Miami
UF v. FSU

Big XII
OU v. TCU
OU v. Cincy
CU v. W Va
TU v. Ark

Except for Colorado, the best conference wins came via the top two teams in each conference. Only OU and CU beat teams that are currently ranked in the top 25.

In summary, I don't see anything here that suggests a dominance by the SEC or its defenses. It appears that the SEC played a slightly weaker OOC schedule than the Big XII and had only three good wins and several bad losses. In the only head-to-head comparison the Big XII won big while UF and Ala both handled Arkie convincingly while the rest of the SEC struggled with them. The OOC winning % was virtually the same for each conference.

JLEW1818
12/8/2008, 07:42 PM
What team is the most like Florida that we have played so far?

Frozen Sooner
12/8/2008, 07:50 PM
What team is the most like Florida that we have played so far?

Offensively, probably OSU. They run a lot of the same spread-option type stuff. Formation-wise Florida looks a little different and the personnel is different inasmuch that Tebow is a lot harder to bring down than Robinson. I think Robinson throws a better ball than Tebow. Receiver-wise, I think OSU has a slight edge with the caveat that Percy Harvin is a stone-cold stud. Plus, I think Florida's OL is much better than OSUs.

Our defense is going to have to play out of their minds.

douxpaysan
12/8/2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the groundwork HTW. However, I don't think there is much meat on those bones. I think Tech and OU will just have to play Ole Miss and Florida but even then only two games. Interesting that Mississippi was Florida's only loss and we were Tech's only loss.

Dan Thompson
12/8/2008, 07:59 PM
Tebow at 6'3" 240 is bigger than most of our LBS

mdklatt
12/8/2008, 08:03 PM
Tebow at 6'3" 240 is bigger than most of our LBS

Our bad angle flag football arm tackling isn't gonna cut it. :eek: :O

douxpaysan
12/8/2008, 08:06 PM
Offensively, probably OSU. They run a lot of the same spread-option type stuff. Formation-wise Florida looks a little different and the personnel is different inasmuch that Tebow is a lot harder to bring down than Robinson. I think Robinson throws a better ball than Tebow. Receiver-wise, I think OSU has a slight edge with the caveat that Percy Harvin is a stone-cold stud. Plus, I think Florida's OL is much better than OSUs.

Our defense is going to have to play out of their minds.

Same goes for their defense. They have never seen an scoring offense like OUrs. i.e. Hawaii(68),Miami(47), Tennessee(110), Mississippi(32), Arkansas(91), LSU(34), Kentucky(87), Georgia(29), Vanderbilt(104), South Carolina(92), Citadel (44FCS), Florida State(27), Alabama(30).

Frozen Sooner
12/8/2008, 08:12 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong: I don't think there's any doubt Florida's D is going to have some problems with our offense. I think it's a bit optimistic to think we'll continue to score on 90% of our drives against them, though.

hobbes2702
12/8/2008, 08:39 PM
IMO Florida's D will be the best yall have seen this season. TCU was technically the best but didn't have the athletes. Texas was the best D yall played and Florida is better than them. Not a ton better but still better. The main thing is that they have the athleticism and experience in the secondary. Their offense is like OSU but better and more physical. They also have a great set of WRs not just one like OSU. I think they will hold yall to your lowest point total yet but I think you guys still score over 30 and it will be a close game. I think yalls D could hold them below 30 but it depends on how yall tackle against their playmakers. I am predicting a score of 38 -34 Florida but who knows. The team that doesn't turn the ball over wins I think.

HateTheWhorns
12/8/2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the groundwork HTW. However, I don't think there is much meat on those bones. I think Tech and OU will just have to play Ole Miss and Florida but even then only two games. Interesting that Mississippi was Florida's only loss and we were Tech's only loss.

Your right about that. I just wanted to go through the analysis to see for myself.