PDA

View Full Version : Have we stop using the...

Dan Thompson
12/8/2008, 07:00 PM
spead offense? Seems to me that in the last couple of games the linemen where pretty close together.

SoonersEnFuego
12/8/2008, 07:03 PM
Tell me about this "spead" offense you speak of...

Dan Thompson
12/8/2008, 07:06 PM
That is when there are big gaps between the players on the O line.

My Opinion Matters
12/8/2008, 07:08 PM
We moved to a multi-set offense about 5 years ago.

Dan Thompson
12/8/2008, 07:11 PM
The first 8 or so games I saw this year, we where in a no huddle, spread offense. Not as big a spread as Mizzou, still a spread.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/8/2008, 07:12 PM
It's like "head", but with more "spe".

And no, we haven't stopped using the spread. Line splits do not dictate a spread offense. Line splits are just that. Line splits. Folks like Tech and apparently Mizzou open up their line splits to do a few things, the primary of which is to stretch out the defensive front just a bit. This does a few things, one, opens up passing lanes, two, supports pass pro by giving the front more time to read stunts, shifts, and folds, three, eases the downblock, making the read off the sprint draw easier to execute, and four, increases the size of the pocket on a standard rush, which also in turn increases the distance a DE has to pursue, giving a tackle more time to set his feet for the turnout, which also allows a QB more time to make a read, which in turn, because of the stretched D front, can work to open up a lane should the pocket still collapse.

Makes sense for a team like Tech or Mizzou that throws a sh*tpot of receivers at you and runs as an afterthought. For a well balanced squad like our Sooners, not so much.

My Opinion Matters
12/8/2008, 07:13 PM
Spread offenses don't run the ball from the I-formation.

Just sayin'.