PDA

View Full Version : Idiots guide to the Florida Gators

8timechamps
12/8/2008, 01:16 PM
Most of us have heard the hype about Tebow and the vaunted (SEC) defense. Here’s a breakdown of the Gators and who/what to watch. Enjoy

2008 Season

Hawaii (7-6) W (56-10)
Miami (Fla) (7-5) W (26-3)
Tennessee (5-7) W (30-6)
Mississippi (8-4) L (30-31)
Arkansas (5-7) W (38-7)
LSU (7-5) W (51-21)
Kentucky (6-6) W (63-5)
Georgia (9-3) W (49-10)
Vanderbilt (6-6) W (42-14)
S. Carolina (7-5) W (56-6)
Citadel (4-8) W (70-19)
Florida St. (8-4) W (45-15)
Alabama (12-1) W (31-20)

Scoring Numbers v. Oklahoma

Florida’s avg. per game: 45
Opponent’s avg. per game: 13

Oklahoma’s avg. per game: 54
Opponent’s avg. per game: 25

National Rankings

Rushing
Florida 11
Oklahoma 19

Passing
Florida 61
Oklahoma 3

Total Offense
Florida 18
Oklahoma 3

Scoring Offense
Florida 3
Oklahoma 1

Rushing Defense
Florida 16
Oklahoma 18

Passing Defense
Florida 19
Oklahoma 99

Total Defense
Florida 9
Oklahoma 65

Scoring Defense
Florida 5
Oklahoma 57

Sacks by
Florida (32) 33
Oklahoma (42) 3

Florida Overview

Offense

Quarterback
One of the storylines of this game is the inclusion of two Heisman trophy candidates (which will be determined by kickoff). If you’ve watched any college football highlights over the last two years, then you know about last year’s Heisman trophy winner Tim Tebow. Tebow is a big quarterback (6’2” 240lbs). Lou Holtz joked that if Tebow elects to turn pro after this season, he would be one of the top 3 linebackers drafted. Tebow is not only big, he’s quick for his size. Tebow accounts for over 50% of Florida’s scoring (28 passing TDs, 12 rushing TDs).

Tebow is the quintessential dual-threat quarterback. He’s got a cannon, and is very accurate. He can (and will) tuck the ball and run. What makes Tebow different (and more dangerous) than a Colt McCoy type qb, is that Urban Meyer has created his offensive scheme around Tebow. Not only does he pull the ball down and run, he makes up a very large percentage of the Gators rushing attack.

The Sooners haven’t seen a quarterback with the size and ability of Tebow. He will test the Sooner defense like they haven’t been tested this season.

Running Backs
Florida is unlike most college football teams in the running game. Tebow accounts for 31% of Florida’s rushing attempts. Outside of Tebow, the Gators will use two running backs to attack on the ground. Freshman Chris Rainey is the “power” back for the Gators (it’s difficult to label Rainey a power back, as Tebow is the biggest back the Gators have, however, Rainey is the bigger of the two true running backs), at 5’9” 185lbs, Rainey is the Gator’s first choice on the ground. They will also use 5’8” 176lb freshman Jeffery Demps. Both backs share time, and both have the speed and ability to take it to the house and to make people miss in space. Both backs average about 50 yards per game.

Needless to say, the “running back” position at Florida isn’t the focus of their offense. With only 4 100 yard games between the two, they aren’t the first threat for the Gators, but they are both quick, skilled backs that can play a big roll in the Gator attack.

Receivers
One name: Percy Harvin. He doesn’t have the receiving numbers of Juaquin Iglesias or the touchdown numbers of Chris Brown, but he is just as dangerous. Percy Harvin is a rare player. Harvin plays the role of both receiver and running back for the Gators. He is second on the team in rushing attempts (Tebow is first), first in receiving and second in touchdowns. He will line up split wide, in the slot, in the gun and flanking the TE. Harvin has scored on handoffs, end-arounds, option pitches and plain old receptions. Next to Tebow, he is the Gators offense.

A concern Urban Meyer may have is how well Harvin will recover from the injury he suffered in the Florida State game (that kept him out of the SEC title game).

Next to Harvin, the Gators will look to senior Louis Murphy (a strong, tall receiver with good hands and good speed) and soph Aaron Hernadez (another tall, strong receiver). Florida doesn’t have as deadly a passing game as some may think. The receivers in this offense (outside of Harvin) are utilized as much for blocking as they are receiving.

Overall Offense
The Gators are the David Blaine of college football. They will score any way imaginable (and some you can’t imagine). Florida utilizes a reformed option attack that includes Tebow, Harvin and a third player (could be another receiver, a second running back or even a tight end). Florida is a run first, pass second type of team. The only way to shut down this offense is to make Tebow beat you through the air. While he has a strong arm and a few good receivers, like any other team, if you can make them one dimensional, they will struggle.

Defense

While the Gators do rank 9th in the country in total defense, they do have a weakness...well sort of. Florida doesn’t start a single senior of defense (and only a few juniors). The front four consist of three sophomores and a junior. The strength of the front four is their run stopping ability, the weakness is their pass rush (it’s hard to even call it a weakness). The heart of the d-line is their interior. Lawrence Marsh and Terron Sanders both weigh in over 300lbs. There’s a lot of beef to stop the run. However, the gains you get in size you make up for in (lack of) speed. Marsh has a respectful 3 sacks on the year, but Sanders has none.

The strength of the Gators defense is their ends. Carlos Dunlap and Jermaine Cunningham are the pass rushers of the group. The two account for 15 sacks, 22 tfl and 4 forced fumbles on the season. Cunningham and Dunlap are arguably the best defensive players the Gators have.

Florida led the SEC with their pass defense. They rank second in the country in interceptions (with 24). The success of the Gator pass defense comes from their outstanding DE play. As always, pressure = poor throwing decisions.

It will be fun to watch the big, aggressive Florida defensive line try to work around our big, aggressive offensive line.

It sounds cliche, but Florida does have speed all over the field when on defense. There will be a lot of one-on-one match-ups to watch, and Bradford will have to be spot on to move the ball against the Gators.

Report Card

Quarterback: Oklahoma (Personally, I’d rather have Sam than Tebow, but I also realize the threat Tebow brings to the table)
Running back: Oklahoma (Knowing that Murray will be healthy for the game just reinforces the advantage OU has at this position)
Receivers: Oklahoma (Percy Harvin is probably better than any single Sooner receiver, but the Sooners receiving corps is better than that of the Gators. Throw Gresham in there, and it’s no contest).
O-Line: Oklahoma (At this point, there is little doubt that Oklahoma has the best O-Line in the land).
D-line: Florida (Even with the return of English, Florida has one of the best defensive lines in cfb this year).
Linebackers: Florida (Florida’s ball hawking tackle happy LBs add to their defensive strength. We still have a hole at MLB).
Secondary: Florida (Although our safeties have stepped up their play, Florida is just too good not to give them the advantage)
Special Teams: Florida (Am I the only one that looks away on kick-offs and field goal attempts?)

I think it’s pretty clear that it’s going to end up being the Oklahoma offense versus the Florida defense. And, I think it’s again going to come down to how our defense performs. Given how they have stepped up for some big games recently, I think that they will take the few weeks they have and strengthen the areas of need. In the end, I think we do just enough on defense to win the game.

Oklahoma: 38
Florida: 31

The End:cool:

picasso
12/8/2008, 01:18 PM
we're capable, we just need to do it.

OUAndy1807
12/8/2008, 01:40 PM
Ranks for the offenses that Florida has played so far this year (ranking are last weeks because I'm too lazy to go get the updated info)

Hawaii 71
Miami 109
Tennessee 111
Mississippi 31
Arkansas 90
LSU 35
Kentucky 87
Georgia 28
Vanderbilt 104
S. Carolina 91
Citadel Not Ranked
Florida St. 25
Alabama 29

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/8/2008, 01:41 PM
the matchups don't favor us at all.

1. their defense is built similar to texas and TCU. big run stuffers in the middle with the quick guys on the outside. it presents problems because we like to run right in that gap.

2. their offense uses misdirection and a crazy amount of speed. this poses a problem because we are young and, for a stoops defense, undisciplined.

a) our run defense is suspect in the 2nd level because our secondary takes poor angles to the ball carrier. i'm really worried about them exploiting our corners.

b) with small guys you have to lower the boom on them and get them thinking sidelines. we tend to push guys to the turf, not making them meet it with extreme prejudice (outside of carter and lewis).

3. they have pretty good special teams. us? uh, next question...

8timechamps
12/8/2008, 01:42 PM
It's funny, Gator fans are all over their "great SEC defense", but when you look at the offenses they've played...the numbers tell the real story.

BermudaSooner
12/8/2008, 01:44 PM
Great write-up--thanks.

8timechamps
12/8/2008, 01:48 PM
the matchups don't favor us at all.

1. their defense is built similar to texas and TCU. big run stuffers in the middle with the quick guys on the outside. it presents problems because we like to run right in that gap. it's going to come down to our horses versus theirs. I think our line is playing at a different level than they played against TCU or Texas. Maybe we decided to focus more on the run, or maybe it's because of the defenses we've seen.

2. their offense uses misdirection and a crazy amount of speed. this poses a problem because we are young and, for a stoops defense, undisciplined.
They use more option than true misdirection. Either way, I see it more as over-aggresive linebackers. We will have to play discilplined if we stand a chance.

a) our run defense is suspect in the 2nd level because our secondary takes poor angles to the ball carrier. i'm really worried about them exploiting our corners.
Yep. With the exception of Carter and sometimes Nic, we don't play smash mouth in the secondary.

b) with small guys you have to lower the boom on them and get them thinking sidelines. we tend to push guys to the turf, not making them meet it with extreme prejudice (outside of carter and lewis).
See above. Our tackling in the secondary leaves a lot to be desired.

3. they have pretty good special teams. us? uh, next question...

Bad, bad, bad.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/8/2008, 01:57 PM
one other point to make is coaching - our last 4 bcs bowls have one thing in common - we panic and abandon the run too early. that is one reason why i'm not to fond of the DL vs OL matchup. if we focus on the run, only using gresham to loosen up their linebackers, we'll be okay. if we go out and try to wing it all over the field it will be a long day.

homerSimpsonsBrain
12/8/2008, 02:01 PM
Loadholt doesnt seem to do very well against speedy DEs. I doubt if Sam's going to have all day to throw like he did in the CCG.

8timechamps
12/8/2008, 02:03 PM
Loadholt doesnt seem to do very well against speedy DEs. I doubt if Sam's going to have all day to throw like he did in the CCG.

No doubt about it. Sam's time to find an open receiver is going to be very limited.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/8/2008, 02:08 PM
our offense can minimize the impact of a speed rusher, if we keep the tempo up and run the dadgum ball. that was my major issue with the texas game, our coaches were so confused they slowed us to a crawl and allowed texas to catch their breath after every play.

DrZaius
12/8/2008, 02:08 PM
Did you know that Superman wheres Tim Tebow underwear to bed.

OklahomaTuba
12/8/2008, 02:11 PM
Hopefully Mark Bradley doesn't show up to the game this time.

soonermagic14
12/8/2008, 02:12 PM
I hope Stoops changes his bowl preparation this year or something b/c this is going to be tough. Although OUr offense grades out better than Florida's it is not by much if you take it position by position. But clearly their defense is way better than OUrs position by position which gives them the edge especially when you throw in special teams. Kickoff coverage will be huge against the Gators and our kicker?....There may be a couple of times where we'll have to use a FG down inside the 30 and hopefully he can punch it through. Special teams make a huge difference in good matchups like this. Geeze can we get #20 Quinton Carter some more PT please.....that guy will knock your head off.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2008, 02:15 PM
one other point to make is coaching - our last 4 bcs bowls have one thing in common - we panic and abandon the run too early. that is one reason why i'm not to fond of the DL vs OL matchup. if we focus on the run, only using gresham to loosen up their linebackers, we'll be okay. if we go out and try to wing it all over the field it will be a long day.

I disagree. The strength of this offense is it's versatility. If the gators take away the run, they will leave something else open and we can take it. The thing I think has improved since the UT game is using DM on the outlet pass which is really equivalent to a run, but breaks up a team that is loading the box. I think our offense is more like an NFL offense where you don't need to establish the run. If the run is there take it, if not take something else. Most college teams can't do this because their QB is not accurate enough. I've seen so many team try to hit the outlet RB in the flat, but the pass is too hard or doesn't lead the guy properly in stride and defense has time to recover.

OUHOMER
12/8/2008, 02:15 PM
spek, nice break down

SoonerLB
12/8/2008, 02:18 PM
Did you know that Superman wheres Tim Tebow underwear to bed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/barn9/tebowtoon2.jpg

mdklatt
12/8/2008, 02:31 PM
It's funny, Gator fans are all over their "great SEC defense", but when you look at the offenses they've played...the numbers tell the real story.

You could say the same thing about all the "great Big 12 offense". Our defensive numbers are pretty grim across the board. Is it because the offenses are so good or because the defenses are so bad? Probably some combination of both. The same is true in the SEC. Their defenses are at least part of the reason why their offensive numbers don't look so great.

homerSimpsonsBrain
12/8/2008, 02:36 PM
our offense can minimize the impact of a speed rusher, if we keep the tempo up and run the dadgum ball. that was my major issue with the texas game, our coaches were so confused they slowed us to a crawl and allowed texas to catch their breath after every play.

So JKM, what approach do the coaches take to run the ball consistently against a very athletic D? We didnt have much luck against folks (TX, TCU) with probably less talent in the front 7 than UF.

We keep hearing how great our line is but I keep having nightmares seeing Loadholt watch as the DE from WVU runs around him and plasters Sam. Or watching the backs run into brick walls against teams that committed to stopping the run. If UF gets pressure with 4 and can stuff the run it's going be a long night (but that's probably always true).

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 02:45 PM
Well, we are certainly battle tested. 5-1 vs. teams in the BCS standings and that is averaging a 21 point win over them.

Florida is 2-0 vs. the top 25 BCS and even lost to a team not in the top 25.

Something will give. I just don't see the game being too close. One of the teams will exact their will on the other.

Soonermagik
12/8/2008, 03:02 PM
I love how people say we don't match up well. Honestly, we faced a good defense in TCU and still put up 35 points.

The thing I like about OU in this matchup is they are the underdog for once. The players will be ready for this one, because it's us against the world. Our defense should make Tebow beat us with his arm and prepare to stop the option plays, tebow runs and short passes.

Also, if our Offense runs the no huddle and wears down their defense with no huddle and long drives Tebow won't be on the field. Plus, if we get a lead we just will never let up like in other games and Florida won't be able to keep up.

For once, I like this matchup.

IMHO, this game hinges on 4 main things:

1) Protect Bradford
2) Turnovers
3) Stop the Tebow run attack and short game
4) Special Teams can't give up lots of big plays

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/8/2008, 03:24 PM
So JKM, what approach do the coaches take to run the ball consistently against a very athletic D? We didnt have much luck against folks (TX, TCU) with probably less talent in the front 7 than UF.

We keep hearing how great our line is but I keep having nightmares seeing Loadholt watch as the DE from WVU runs around him and plasters Sam. Or watching the backs run into brick walls against teams that committed to stopping the run. If UF gets pressure with 4 and can stuff the run it's going be a long night (but that's probably always true).

it wasn't the outside rush that killed us against WVU, it was the INSIDE speed rush. they absolutely shut down our running game with it. then on 3rd they went outside fooling our first year OT. once we abandoned the run it was all she wrote.

film exposes a great many tendancies and where i think we've been beaten (against both boise state and WVU) is that they attack our tendencies and we go in expecting to run our normal stuff. so what used to be our strength, gameplanning personnel, is now our weakness. what concerns me from a matchup perspective is that WVU and florida run very similar offenses and we haven't upgraded at the right positions to stop it.

i think we can wear florida down, just like alabama did. for those that watched the game, alabama lost because down 4 on the scoreboard, they went away from the run to 3 straight passes. in other words, they panicked (just like we did against saban in 2003 :mad: )

how you kill DEs is you make them run and run and run some more.

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 03:29 PM

B-I-N-G-O!

You could see this happening in the Texas game. I should go back and watch but I swear plays where we snapped the ball before the play clock got under 20 had great success and when we ran the play clock down inside of 10 it seems Texas was ready for us. I hope we utilize a speedy no huddle to get Florida winded (since they haven't played an offense remotely as strong as ours) and keep them on their heels. If they get to rest and relax between downs, we minimize our chances of success.

8timechamps
12/8/2008, 04:08 PM
Tempo, Tempo, Tempo.

Nothing better than Sam throwing a 15 yarder, running to the line, getting under center, then snapping it while the defense isn't set.

We just got away from it in the Texas game.

Compare it to the way we did it in the TT game. THAT'S how you beat Florida.