PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Plays from Saturday...

cheezyq
12/8/2008, 12:40 PM
The run at the end for Madu to get us over 60 was pretty sweet, and the catch/stiff arm/fight for yards by Iggy was also pretty good. But here are my 2 favorite plays:

1. The Chase Coffman catch for a TD in the 4th quarter. Brian Jackson jumps the pump fake even though Lendy Holmes has the inside, and Chase Coffman gets behind for a TD.

2. After a score, we get 2 penalties that are assessed on the subsequent kickoff. One of which was a personal foul call on Auston English.

Why the heck would these be my favorite plays? The answer is in what followed each play. Bob Stoops got up in Brian Jackson's face about being out of place for the score. Jackson mouthed off back at Stoops and tried to walk away, and Stoops grabbed his jersey, pulled him back, and let him have it some more. On the personal foul call on AE, he went up and down the sideline specifically looking for AE, just so he could "give him the business".

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but I haven't seen that in a long time from him. Brian Jackson and Auston English are stars on this team and will likely star in the NFL as well. He's fighting against a complacency attitude, and is letting his players know he won't tolerate it. He didn't get onto them when it was 10-7, because you don't need to get on a team when the game is close (usually). He got onto them for making mistakes when we were WAY ahead in the 4th quarter.

I've had a strong feeling since spring that this is the year we fight for #8. The defense has improved to a point that I think if they can keep the players in the right places and make just a couple of stops, there is nothing that can stop this offense. Bob's reaction to the plays above, especially to our defensive players, indicates that Bob believes it too.