PDA

View Full Version : Our BCS reputation

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 11:29 AM
Okay, we get it. We stunk it up against West Virginia last year, but no one mentions the injuries or suspension as a key factor. They were, but no excuses.

Boise State. Well, I thought that was Stoops best coaching job as far as a season goes. That team won with smoke and mirrors all season, especially after losing AD. The fact we won the Big 12 that year is amazing. Boise was hot early, PT gave everything he had, but was average at best and it took three miracle plays for Boise to win that game after we rallied when down and almost out. Great game...great effort on Boise's part. Not like a clunker of a performance by us.

Our last trip to Miami. Yeah, it sucked. We held them to three and out and marched down the field to take a 7-0 lead. USC made some unbelievable plays but that second quarter was the game. All the mistakes and craziness of those 15 minutes and the game was over.

What bugs me is when folks talk about the 2004 BCS Title Game against LSU like we just sucked in that game. WTF? We lost by 7! 7 points! And we had a chance to tie it late in spite of playing really sloppy for a large portion of that game! Why is there any shame in losing the national title game by 7 when it was a home game for the other team? This game should not be considered a black mark for us.

I sure hope our guys are fired up to prove we aren't like Ohio State. Bob Stoops was a crystal ball on his resume...he has a Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl and Holiday Bowl win as well. Yes, we lost a couple of title games. It happens. Apparently, the other teams are good, too. Last year sucked and has led to this reputation. But I get SICK of hearing people lump the loss to LSU into that mix. Was Bama pitiful for losing by 11 to Florida? No. Everyone is saying the game lived up to the hype. So why is a 7 point loss in the title game thrown into this mix?

Annoyed already...one month to go!

boomersooner28
12/8/2008, 11:35 AM
What about the Fiesta Bowl last year? We walked into a bear trap in that bad boy. WVU had something to prove and we thought we were going to walk out there and win the game. Wow, what an asswhipping.

Hot Rod
12/8/2008, 11:40 AM
Well, West Virginia in my eyes was the uncrowned national champ last year. Had a horrible game against Pitt to close the season and like us wanted to prove to everyone how good of a team they were.

Boise State had to pull out everything in the book to get a win over us. They executed and pulled it off, but most people forget they won by 1.

It's like everyone expects OU to just win every single game, or else we're not that good. Heck, we've scored 60+ points in 5 straight games and you've got the ESPN jerks still thinking that Texas should be going to Miami? Please. Don't be downing OU for sloppy bowl game play, then when we play our hears out, suggest we don't deserve a chance to redeem ourselves!

sambadford
12/8/2008, 12:00 PM
What to Mary Jane and OU have in common?.......

They both get smoked in a bowl.

primetime43
12/8/2008, 12:06 PM
What has concerned me in the last few bowl games is our team speed. We looked slow against WV, Boise, SC. We all know Florida is the fastest team in the country so it will be interesting to see how we match up with them.

Soonerus
12/8/2008, 12:08 PM
Excuse me, against WVU we had 6 starters out of the game...

SleestakSooner
12/8/2008, 12:10 PM
What to Mary Jane and OU have in common?.......

They both get smoked in a bowl.

Did you really just create an account to post that worn out lame joke?

It might be about time for you to move out of mom's basement and get a life.

JLEW1818
12/8/2008, 12:10 PM
We've now been in the last 3 BCS orange bowl national title games. 01, 05, 09.

If the pattern continues we should win. And like Collier said a few months back, the last time we played in the Orange bowl with a number 14 in the pocket..... well you remember

Hot Rod
12/8/2008, 12:15 PM
We've now been in the last 3 BCS orange bowl national title games. 01, 05, 09.

If the pattern continues we should win. And like Collier said a few months back, the last time we played in the Orange bowl with a number 14 in the pocket..... well you remember

Nice pattern. Also, every 2 years since 2000 we win a Big XII title.

Sooner02
12/8/2008, 12:21 PM
The standard for OU is unbelievably high. I think the team is a victim of its own (historical) success. Even when we win, the manner of the win is critiqued (they didn't win by X number of points) and if we lose, the sky is falling on the Sooner program. There's just too high a bar set sometimes, and it results in the team getting penalized even when successful.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 12:29 PM
Okay, we get it. We stunk it up against But I get SICK of hearing people lump the loss to LSU into that mix. Was Bama pitiful for losing by 11 to Florida? No. Everyone is saying the game lived up to the hype. So why is a 7 point loss in the title game thrown into this mix?

Annoyed already...one month to go!

LSU physically dominated that game and didn't even attempt to score after the int. What is alarming is the difference in speed and ferocity the other teams keep showing in the Bowl Games. It started with LSU and has just snowballed. I thought BSU would be a welcomed change but losing that one was irresponsible.

I just don't think the Big 12 prepares the teams for what they face against top teams from other Conferences. OOC scheduling has to get better. I think tOSU donkey kicks UT in the knuts. I am kind of torn because I would love to see it but would definitely hurt the Conference rep. Oh well.

Hot Rod
12/8/2008, 12:39 PM
I just don't think the Big 12 prepares the teams for what they face against top teams from other Conferences. OOC scheduling has to get better.

And how did two of OUr OOC teams do this year? Noob.

Jacie
12/8/2008, 12:42 PM
Only Sooner fans will remember the details and the reasons why this team or that one lost a BCS bowl game.

To the rest of the country, OU cannot win the big game.

If Oklahoma is ever going to reverse this trend, this year's team is the one to do it.

That will take of OUr image.

Hot Rod
12/8/2008, 01:00 PM
The whole 8 in 08 talk looked slim after OU/Texas, but after destroying Tech, hope was revived. Let's make it happen Sooners!

TUSooner
12/8/2008, 01:18 PM
Holy carp. Our record is what it is and it speaks for itself. We've laid some nasty eggs and that's just a fact. Stop going all Mack-Aggish with the excuses.

bcgvh
12/8/2008, 01:26 PM
I've been to a few Florida message boards, and due to our recent bowl history, they think this game will be another embarrassing loss for us. We need to come out on fire for this one. I mean, if not NOW, then when?!

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2008, 01:45 PM
The only way to great achievements and reward is through great risks. If the team gets into a BCS bowl game and especially the title game, they face a foe that is just as adept at winning as they are. This year is no different. I doubt our recent results will have much impact on this game - we'll win if we play better than UF and lose if we don't. I like the character of this team more than recent teams and I think they are playing their best ball right now. But I think the same thing is true of the gators. The press will either say we broke though our big game problems or continued our woes. To me, it's just one game and I really hope we hoist the crystal ball this time.

olevetonahill
12/8/2008, 01:55 PM

Its nOOb , Ya nOOb :P

IBleedCrimson
12/8/2008, 02:08 PM
What has concerned me in the last few bowl games is our team speed. We looked slow against WV, Boise, SC. We all know Florida is the fastest team in the country so it will be interesting to see how we match up with them.

what u don't understand is that Florida is the fastest team evar. Like in the history of college football. Want to kno y? They're from the ... Da da dum... SEC! ! ! Which everyone knos is lightyears ahead of the ansillary(yes I kno I mispelled that) other conferences that litter "the rest" of the country. Toss in the fact that ou has absolutely no history of winning big games and the fact we got in by rewriting the conference rules midway through the season to specifically screw saxet... This is gonna be a blowout. The tebola virus is gonna only have to think "touchdown" and BAM! 21 points go on the scoreboard for flawda. In short were screwed, it's over, and they won.

AimForCenterMass
12/8/2008, 02:12 PM
The past really has no relevance to this year. For example, since 2000 Florida is 3-5 in bowl games. Last year, with a Heisman Trophy Winner under center, Florida lost to a bad Michigan team that couldn't hold their own against App State, on their home turf. Historically, Florida is 16-19 in bowl games. What does this all mean? It means absolutely nothing, this year.

Boomer Sooner!

oumartin
12/8/2008, 02:14 PM
just let em play the game. I feel good about it..

Wishboned
12/8/2008, 02:15 PM
I think this team has a different focus than the past few years.

I've said it before, but this team is all about taking care of business. Doing what it takes.

Florida scares me, no doubt, but I've got faith in Bob and the boys.

And I'm thinking riverboat gambling Bob still has some tricks up his sleeve.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 02:23 PM
That is why OU is in the NCG. But TCU and Cincy gets the team prepped for Fla? Puhlease. The game at the top level is a lot faster outside the Conference. Hence the thumpings. Generally.

^*\~><~/*^
12/8/2008, 02:36 PM
Its nOOb , Ya nOOb :P

Damn nOObs!!!

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 03:14 PM
I think this team has a different focus than the past few years.

I've said it before, but this team is all about taking care of business. Doing what it takes.

Florida scares me, no doubt, but I've got faith in Bob and the boys.

And I'm thinking riverboat gambling Bob still has some tricks up his sleeve.
Your post is a complete paradox. You have faith in Bob yet the team hasn't had focus the last few years? Isn't that a reflection of the coach? If "Bob" gets rolled in this one then what? When do the tuff questions start?

Wishboned
12/8/2008, 03:25 PM

This message is hidden because GPANDFF is on your ignore list.

SoonerFaninAZ
12/8/2008, 03:43 PM
That is why OU is in the NCG. But TCU and Cincy gets the team prepped for Fla? Puhlease. The game at the top level is a lot faster outside the Conference. Hence the thumpings. Generally.

When did it get faster?

Since 2000, when the slow Sooners dismantled the track team that was the Florida State Seminoles?

Or since 2005, when Texas beat the greatest team in the history or college football?

Is Mississippi at the top level? They must be. They beat the fastest team on grass this season? On the road.

Man, I hate to see what top level Ol' Miss is going to do to Texas Tech.

Just what is the "top level" and how many teams are there and what conferences do they reside in? Is it only the SEC that has "top level" teams?

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 03:48 PM
When did it get faster?

Since 2000, when the slow Sooners dismantled the track team that was the Florida State Seminoles?

Or since 2005, when Texas beat the greatest team in the history or college football?

Is Mississippi at the top level? They must be. They beat the fastest team on grass this season? On the road.

Just what is the "top level" and how many teams are there and what conferences do they reside in? Is it only the SEC that has "top level" teams?

The Cotton Bowl results are going to be discussed a lot before our game.

SoonerFaninAZ
12/8/2008, 03:53 PM
Your post is a complete paradox. You have faith in Bob yet the team hasn't had focus the last few years? Isn't that a reflection of the coach? If "Bob" gets rolled in this one then what? When do the tuff questions start?

Which tuff questions are you referring to?

Like, "Should Bob be fired because he can't win the 'big game'?"

My question to you would be, "what's the definition of 'big game'?"

Is it only the games the Sooners lose? Was Tech a "big game"? Of course not! They won easily. How big a game could it have been, right?

Was OSU a "big game"? How could that be a big game? They're like 80-12 against them.

Was Mizzou a "big game"? Are you kidding? That team would finish third in the Pac 10.

Was Texas a "big game." Now you're talking. Can't win the big game. Stoops is 0-1 in "big games" this season, right?

How many teams get to win the "big game" every year? A couple. So, if the Sooners lose, should Stoops be fired? After all, that would make him 1-3 in "big games" in his career. Oh, wait. No it wouldn't. I forget the last two Fiesta Bowls were "big games." So, he'd be 1-5 in "big games."

'Tis better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 03:57 PM
When did it get faster?

Vince Young was kind of the equalizer. Without him, is their any doubt UT would have been Donkey Kicked in the nuts like OU in '04? In 2000, B Bowden was the equalizer. Should have been Miami based on head to head. Wow, is that ironic or what? Anyway, Bowden was / is a terrible game coach and no-one really took OU seriously. He took the month off and paid the price.

TT will see how bad Ole Miss is. My guess is they won't like it much. BTW, I think tOSU will give UT prison love as well.

Anyway, upsets happen. Especially when just about every team in the Conference can run and hit. Then it comes down to coaching. Bob has to out coach 1 team every year. SEC coaches have to out coach 5-6.

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 04:21 PM
Vince Young was kind of the equalizer. Without him, is their any doubt UT would have been Donkey Kicked in the nuts like OU in '04? In 2000, B Bowden was the equalizer. Should have been Miami based on head to head. Wow, is that ironic or what? Anyway, Bowden was / is a terrible game coach and no-one really took OU seriously. He took the month off and paid the price.

TT will see how bad Ole Miss is. My guess is they won't like it much. BTW, I think tOSU will give UT prison love as well.

Anyway, upsets happen. Especially when just about every team in the Conference can run and hit. Then it comes down to coaching. Bob has to out coach 1 team every year. SEC coaches have to out coach 5-6.

SEC blowhards have good reason 9 out of 10 seasons. This AIN'T one of them.

Please tell me the marquee SEC wins this year out of conference. Other than Florida's win over Florida State...what? I see nothing of note!! However, as stated on another thread, I do see a loss to Duke. By a team that won AT Ole Miss!

A fanbase that cheers their conference as much as their own team = David Archuleta/Clay Aiken sleepover gay!

olevetonahill
12/8/2008, 04:24 PM

Let me be the First to Proclame you Idiot Of the Year :rolleyes:

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 04:32 PM
SEC blowhards have good reason 9 out of 10 seasons. This AIN'T one of them.

Please tell me the marquee SEC wins this year out of conference. Other than Florida's win over Florida State...what? I see nothing of note!! However, as stated on another thread, I do see a loss to Duke. By a team that won AT Ole Miss!

A fanbase that cheers their conference as much as their own team = David Archuleta/Clay Aiken sleepover gay!

Miami, Fla State (2 of Fla's OOC games), Clemson... I don't think Big 12 fan wants to discuss OOC. Granted, OU kinda did their part with TCU and Cincy (I guess Cincy is BCS). Those are the only two wins against top 30 comp in the entire Conference. All else is ugggggly! That's all I am saying. The voters love the Big 12 but there isn't much on the field to judge except whippings against other Big 12 teams. So I am skeptical. I think tOSU beats UT and Ole Miss beats TT (the Oregon State of Big 12).

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 04:34 PM
Let me be the First to Proclame you Idiot Of the Year :rolleyes:

Incapable of arguing so call me names? Maybe you should be renamed to Missouri Sooner! UT and OU have similar talent. The other ten aren't close. You dispute that?

Hot Rod
12/8/2008, 04:36 PM
(I guess Cincy is BCS).

No they are! Where have you been? Under a rock?

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 04:39 PM
Miami, Fla State (2 of Fla's OOC games), Clemson... I don't think Big 12 fan wants to discuss OOC. Granted, OU kinda did their part with TCU and Cincy (I guess Cincy is BCS). Those are the only two wins against top 30 comp in the entire Conference. All else is ugggggly! That's all I am saying. The voters love the Big 12 but there isn't much on the field to judge except whippings against other Big 12 teams. So I am skeptical. I think tOSU beats UT and Ole Miss beats TT (the Oregon State of Big 12).

Well, numb nuts, this isn't www.big12fans.com so I don't give crap about what the rest of the Big 12 did out of conference! I know what OU did and it trumps anything ANY SEC team! And if I am wrong please tell me what OOC opponent an SEC team beat that will be in the BCS mix.

Oh, and Vegas TOTALLY agrees with your premise about Ohio State beating Texas. They just love to give money away in that town! And we shall see what Texas Tech can do against a team that lost at home to Vanderbilt with the best QB Florida faced this year...who was not even good enough to start at Texas.

SoonerFaninAZ
12/8/2008, 04:42 PM
Vince Young was kind of the equalizer. Without him, is their any doubt UT would have been Donkey Kicked in the nuts like OU in '04?

I'm not sure. Did Young get a lot faster after his first two seasons? Because that "equalizer" scored 13 and zero against those slow Sooners the previous two seasons. He must have gotten into his PF Flyers for '05.

In 2000, B Bowden was the equalizer. Should have been Miami based on head to head.

Really? Why not Washington. You want I should wait while you look it up?

Wow, is that ironic or what?

What? Ohhhh, you mean the Head-to-Head thing? Yeah, I know. I think Tech got hosed too.

Anyway, Bowden was / is a terrible game coach and no-one really took OU seriously. He took the month off and paid the price.

But I would think with the vastly superior talent that is the southeast region of the US, that the players would be able to overcome the coach. I mean, they are a lot faster and stronger. Seems they could throw their helmets on the field and OU would have fallen down.

You know what's great about going to another team's board and talking smack. You can disappear after the games and no one ever knows you were even there. That's why I spend so much time on other team's boards. Oh, wait. No I don't.

Who did the SEC teams have to outcoach this season?

Let's start in the East.

Well, I know you aren't talking about Kentucky or Vanderbilt. Are you?

South Carolina? Really? This team beat Wofford by 10. Their signature win was against Mississippi.

Man, I know Joe Glenn kept talking about how Tennessee was going to be a real challenge for his Wyoming squad. Those Cowboys toughed it out though. Wasn't enough to keep him from getting fired.

Georgia? I'll give you that one. Although it seems like they gave up points like they were playing in the Big 12.

So there is one.

Let's go west, young man.

Can we agree to eliminate Miss St, Arkansas and Auburn from the conversation? I mean, if not, then I'm really excited to hear your argument for them.

LSU? Hmm, seems Stoops has actually coached a number of games against that fellow. And yes, Miles and his troops actually pulled a couple of great upsets. But he also got it handed to him a few times too. But, I'll grant you LSU.

And Alabama is currently in great hands and have no doubt they are going to be around awhile.

Mississippi? Man, I'd love to get on board with you on this one. I mean, wins over Florida and LSU are very big. But to say Mississippi would be an opponent that needs "outcoaching," uhhh, I just can't buy it.

So, there are two in the west.

I count four. Four teams in the SEC that a coach would have had to "outcoach" to beat. Four. Unless, you're one of them. Then it's three.

Oh, and your "upsets happen" comment. No doubt about it.

A lot of us on here are hoping for one of monumental proportion on Jan. 8th.

TUSooner
12/8/2008, 04:42 PM
Incapable of arguing so call me names? Maybe.... <more blather>

Send us a postcard from Bolivia!

olevetonahill
12/8/2008, 04:46 PM
Incapable of arguing so call me names? Maybe you should be renamed to Missouri Sooner! UT and OU have similar talent. The other ten aren't close. You dispute that?

I refuse to argue with an Idiot.
You say Bob Only has to Out coach One team a year ?= Idiot statement
OU and Texas have Similar Talent ? Idiot statement .
Havnt you Been listening to The Talking heads ?:rolleyes:
I say again " Idiot Of the Year ":pop:

olevetonahill
12/8/2008, 04:49 PM
Send us a postcard from Bolivia!

I think hes already to the South Pole :D