PDA

View Full Version : 3 way tie, pre-BCS

Ardmore_Sooner
12/8/2008, 10:31 AM
I was just curious if anyone happened to know how this years tie-breaker would have gone before the BCS was implemented in 1998. What did the Big 12 use the other 2 years prior to the BCS?

OUHOMER
12/8/2008, 10:46 AM
Good question......

sooner n houston
12/8/2008, 10:51 AM
Sotle this off Red Dirt Kings web site! :D

Big 12 -- Official Rulings

Divisional Tie-Breakers: Beginning with the 2009 season, the following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:

- If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

- If three or more teams are tied, Texas wins.

- If Texas is not one of the three teams tied, Texas wins.

- If one or both of the divisional winners lost to Texas at some point during the season, Texas wins.

- If three teams are tied, but Texas beat the North winner, Texas wins.

Thanks to the RDKer that sent this in. They must have a solid source inside the Big 12 Conference Headquarters in Irving, Texas.

GrapevineSooner
12/8/2008, 11:13 AM
The SWC used to use the 'whoever has the longest drought' rule. I recall that Texas Tech won a conference title by that decree in the mid 90's and got slaughtered by USC.

If such a rule were in effect in the Big 12, they would have gone to KC this year.

oupride
12/8/2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I forgot about that "longest drought" one, however I thought it was Houston that got slaughered!

Flagstaffsooner
12/8/2008, 12:00 PM
Cookie shoot.

RFH Shakes
12/8/2008, 12:03 PM
Chili Cook-off

badger
12/8/2008, 12:09 PM
The SWC used to use the 'whoever has the longest drought' rule. I recall that Texas Tech won a conference title by that decree in the mid 90's and got slaughtered by USC.

If such a rule were in effect in the Big 12, they would have gone to KC this year.

The Big 10 has a similar rule for determining who goes to the Rose Bowl. It's basically the only way that Michigan State could have any prayer of going over Penn State and Ohio State.

Frozen Sooner
12/8/2008, 12:36 PM
AP Poll standings.