PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma versus Florida: let's talk about this thing...

goingoneight
12/7/2008, 10:31 PM
No more gloating, no more stating our case, no need to try and argue any longer. We're in... we're playing for the National Championship. Whether or not Texas has any chance anymore rests solely in the hands of not only a dominant whorn win over Bucknut, we have to give them exactly what they want more than anything and that's for us to lose to Florida.
It's over with, I don't care what :mack: says anymore. I don't care who played who-won what-where-when... we're going to Miami, and that's all that matters in our case. What I'm trying to say is you Sooner fans who will think it's funny to show up with signs to the game making fun of Texas will feel awfully stupid if we get violated by the Gators as we've been violated by USC and WVU.
I'll give the Sooners a pass versus LSU and versus Boise State. Truth is those were good teams like anyone else in a BCS game that got a lot of help to do what they did. LSU in New Orleans? Why not just let us play every BCS game in Oklahoma City and see how we do. Note: you might want to take a look at OUr home record under Stoops to figure this tough little cookie out. Boise State... well, hear me out. There was unarguably a great performance by an underdog. However, this one-point overtime Sooner loss that to this day remains the greatest day and favorite DVD of aggy fans everywhere required four turnovers, two which set up easy scores, an overrated OU team in the first place and perfect execution of plays Les miles doesn't even have the stones to run against the likes of Louisiana LaFayette.

Still... 21-14, 55-19, 43-42, 48-28.

What's the common denominator here? The previous three would say "where the hell is the Sooner defense?" However, even the barn-burner in Nawlins ties into the problem we've had. Intensity, speed, execution, turnover battle. We've come up short everytime. Intensity is the Mountaineers demolishing a far superior offensive and defensive line. Speed is wide-open SC receivers toasting us all night, along with fat, white guys running for long touchdowns untouched. Execution is the best receiver in school history dropping a pass in the endzone to tie the game in the 4th quarter. Turnover battle is well... obvious. Give someone who desperately wants to beat you the ball in the red zone... give them a pick-6??? This crap CANNOT happen if we have even a prayer against Florida.

So, today I hear a random Sooner fan tell me something along the lines of "Florida lost to Ole Miss on their home field!" Truer words never spoken. However, did we not cough up a loss to unranked Okie Light on OUr home field several years ago? Did we not just lose 4 out of OUr last five bowl games? Did we not lose to Texas this year? Texas, a team we're better than according to the people who put us in this thing? I'll argue as good as anyone for us being in ahead of UT and TT, but it doesn't matter. We're here, and the rest of the country is salivating, waiting for us to fail.

So let's take a look... how does a pro-style offense fair against Florida's aggresive style of defense? I'll tell you, Alabama put together a pretty good game against them, but still found themselves looking about as bad as Ohio State did a few years ago late in the game. These guys are flat-out impressive on defense to me. I love the way they swarm their opposition. You gotta be flat-out good to beat these guys. I mean, accurate, quick, have a little something about you that just can't be beat. Have a little fire in your belly that can take what they give you and muscle up on them. In other words, we aren't hanging 60 on these cats, so get over it. Only way that happens is if the spirit of the 2000 Sooner defense completely shuts down the Gator offense and the Gator defense just gives up (one can only hope). I want to say we're good enough to put up monster points and yards on them, but I think at best we'll have a "good" game in which we take care of the football.

How does an Oklahoma defense stop Timmy Tebow and the short, fast guys from Gainesville? In short, it's not likely. Slowing them down is a reasonable goal from a fans perspective. While Stoops and Venables will tell you nothing short of expecting to shut them down, as any coach would... I don't see it happening. Not in front of a pro-Gator crowd that will give them little boosts of energy for every yard gained. Before you say it, I know what you're thinking... Tim Tebow is NOT Chris Weinke. He's better. You can't just box this guy in and expect him to chance it and throw everytime. He's a true dual-threat who can prevail against the toughest of hits and looks. He's the kind of guy you can de-cleat, knock his helmet off, bust his lip and still lose to him. He is everything we believe Sam Bradford to be. Is he human? Yes... but can he have a career day against the suspect Sooner defense? Absolutely. Here is where we HAVE to match Florida's intensity. If ANYWHERE in this matchup we have to play four quarters, regardless of circumstances, it's on defense. While stats will say we have a better offense than them, keep in mind that stats also say the SEC has won the past two MNCs because of greater intensity. We would benefit from working on fundamentals, too. I've seen these guys play and that half-tackle crap we tend to do is just asking for them to break a long one on us.

Special teams? Oh, brother... let's just try and keep them from running multiple kicks back for scores... PLEASE!?!

Am I being all negative Nancy? Probably... do I believe we have a chance in this one? Absolutely. I do feel that it's going to require the best football we've seen in a LONG time though to do it. The quickest, most intense, most impressive fundamental football we've seen in a LONG time. Best blocking, tackling, throwing, catching, cutting, reading and even kicking we've seen in a LONG time. If we play the perfect game, there's always a chance that Florida could be just another team we hang 50 on... but this opponent appears ready for nothing less than giving it their all. Am I saying we can't top their best effort? Not at all... but I am saying things have REALLY got to go OUr way, which they haven't really in recent BCS game memory. This isn't Chase Daniel and the slow-developing high school schemes of Missouri, and it's not Graham Harrell and the oppurtunity for takeaway every single down, either. It's a machine that's going to take a stellar effort to throw a wrench down in. One bad night could look exactly like or worse than the WVU nightmare last year.

Negspek if you must, but you know this to be true. OUr backs are against the wall this time. This time, we're Cinderella. The #1 means nothing, the Vegas line equally means nothing. The offense we've scored all season long with means nothing. Note that FSU thought they were unstoppable, too. Note that Jason White and Adrian Peterson highlighted just as good or better an attack in 2004 and look how they ended in Miami. This time WE have to win against the odds.

DrZaius
12/7/2008, 10:36 PM
I am not sure what you are trying to say but I can tell you this. For as much as we have not played against a defense such as theirs. They have not played an offense such as OU.

nuff said

Soonerus
12/7/2008, 10:36 PM
Relax, we win beat Florida...do not over analize...

goingoneight
12/7/2008, 10:44 PM
I speak the truth. For once I'm not wearing the crimson shades, but I'm not taking the NickZepp approach either. I can name quite a few times where people thought a great defense couldn't hang with a stellar offense.

Sam could have 350 and four scores to an MNC in dominant fashion... however, odds are clearly against it until it's done. We've got potential, and I just don't think that even as good as we've played at times that we've peaked yet defensively. One thing's for certain, we've seen a nice variety or spread offenses in the BIG 12 that makes me confident. For Tebow's mobility, you have Robinson, Griffin and McCoy... as for the sharp-shooter, you have Reesing, McCoy, Grutza and Harrell. The biggest adjustment is going to be speed matchups IMO, but that's just my opinion. Can we match them? I won't say it's impossible or even unlikely, I'll just say they're impressive when they play motivated.

Soonerus
12/7/2008, 10:47 PM
You should consider changing your screen name...

pweitkem
12/7/2008, 10:48 PM
My two cents on the game... I think Tebow is a ******nozzle. That is all.

JLEW1818
12/7/2008, 10:48 PM
Florida is really fast. We can't let Tebow scramble.

goingoneight
12/7/2008, 10:49 PM
I will if we win... I made that dealio long ago.

"goingonnine?"
"wegoteight?"

Soonerus
12/7/2008, 10:51 PM
I was think more in terms of "Iamscared" or "Iamawuss" or something like that...

goingoneight
12/7/2008, 10:53 PM
Florida is really fast. We can't let Tebow scramble.

Thank you... a voice of reason. The guy has really shown me this year that he does more than just take off when his #1 and check off aren't open. He's been really good to find lingering options by scrambling in the pocket this year. I know Sam does that well, but Sam's not OUr problem IMO. Our breakdowns in coverage and our inconsistent pass rush is. That and the occasional hiccup on special teams.

UF is better than WVU was is all I'm saying. WAY better, and once again a team that appears to be coming into the game "hungry," something we need to do as well.

goingoneight
12/7/2008, 10:58 PM
I think we can trade punches with them... but we traded punches with WVU also... problem was it wasn't enough.

goingoneight
12/7/2008, 10:59 PM
Oh yeah, and we traded punches with Texas, too.

Basically... I'm saying I hope we don't play like we did against Texas again on D and special teams. It's be nice to run the ball, too.

JLEW1818
12/7/2008, 11:02 PM
Might sound obvious, but we are going to have to out score them.

And we cant give up the big play.

I'm glad we are the so called underdog for this game.

Soonerus
12/7/2008, 11:04 PM
We had six starters out against WVU...please...

tbl
12/7/2008, 11:10 PM
If we play the way we're capable of on both sides of the ball, this game will be epic. If we slip in one area (except special teams since it's practically a given that we'll slip there), we'll be in trouble. There's blowout potential on both sides of the ball, and there's also whoever has the ball last potential.

I'm pumped about this game, and I'm also terrified. Boomer Sooner!

MojoRisen
12/7/2008, 11:19 PM
We need to hit and be opportunistic on Defense - Intensity wise we need to make sure we stop their run game option.

This is for the MNC and not the fiesta bowl... We will be motivated and I am sure Bob wants it so bad that he is going to be possessed in the game planning and not out done by Urban Meyer- what a moe...

We need intensity for sure, both sides of the ball... I think we can stop Florida - starting with hitting Tebow..

Florida is not all that on D- they are fast - Mis Direction and play action is going to blow them up... They also gave gashing yards to Alabama up the middle...

Suppressor
12/7/2008, 11:22 PM
Honestly, goingoneight raises some valid points. Every season I have had the "OMG, we are so superior to such and such team" going into the bowl games. The last few, though, OU WAS out played, out smarted, out performed and run out the door. This season, I am going to take a more realistic approach.

I live in Va Beach now, and have since I left Norman in 1990 and joined the Navy. Being in Va, I get to see a lot of the East Coast teams on a regular basis that most of the people west of the Mississippi only get to see occasionally. Since Percy "I'm an idiot" Harvin is from a sub-division that is about 2 miles from the one I live in, UF is shown almost every weekend here. They are an impressive team. They are hungry. They want to prove to all of the people telling them that they don't belong that they DO belong.

This is going to be a dog fight. I know Bob said after last season's debacle that he was going to have to look at how he prepares the team for bowl games. I hope he lights a fire under the butts of everyone on the defense and has them ready to play like a top 10 defense. I hope he works the O-Line to death getting ready for the UF D-Line, because those boys are no joke. Don't think that the D-Line in the SEC championship game was what OU will be seeing in Miami. UF had 2 of their top D-Linemen out with injury, and both will be back in time for the NCG.

Don't make the mistake of getting over-confident. What we have witnessed with OU this season has been historic. WOW is all I have to say. But, with that said, Urban Meyer has him team ready for every game. They will know everything about OU, and will have several gameplans in place to counter what OU throws at them. This year more than anything, Bob needs to make sure the team spends more time on the practice field and less time in the shopping malls.

I believe our Sooner can win, I'm just not blindly over-confident.

sooner518
12/7/2008, 11:23 PM
i think we have to do whatever we can to stuff the run. maybe we give up the big pass play, but I dont think we can let them just have a bunch of 6, 7, 8 minute drives. Make Tebow throw it because that is NOT his strength.

JLEW1818
12/7/2008, 11:24 PM
I hope we all have to listen to the "Oklahoma should not be here" bull **** for the next month. Our players will be ready. It's going to take everybody to win this one, even lil jimmy stevens

AzianSooner
12/7/2008, 11:28 PM
I think Tim is so favorited in FL now and he will have a lot of xxxx leading to the game.

That will wear him down greatly. Beside, I have to admit that those gator ladies are hot.

SoonerBacker
12/7/2008, 11:43 PM
I'm not too worried about the intensity factor in this game. Florida has enough of a reputation as a football program that I don't see any way the coaches/players take them lightly. In addition, let's remember that Stoops came to us from Florida. I know that the staff there is completely different, but he does know SEC football. And I just have a feeling that Stoops will be able to get the team prepared for this one.

Another factor that goes into the intensity aspect of things is that there is still an "OU does not deserve to be in the BCS game" attitude everywhere you look on the national scale. Florida may be wanting to prove to people that they deserve this, but so do we.

Yes, Florida is a good team that will present all kinds of challenges for us. But we present all sorts of challenges for them, as well. We will have to play our best game of the season to beat them in what ammounts to a road game for us. But I think this Oklahoma team has that hunger and that chip on their shoulder that will keep us focused.

I see a close game, fought down to the wire. I also think that it may be lower scoring than most folks anticipate. Both teams in the low to mid 30s?

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2008, 11:52 PM
Every year is different and every OU team is different. So unless it is an inherent problem with Stoops and the other coaches that have been around since '03, I think the losing streak is more a result of random walk probabilities than anything else. If so, then if we had won the last 4 BCS bowl rather than losing them, it wouldn't make a bit of difference to this year's outcome. Stoops did make a comment before the season started that maybe they did put too much emphasis on the CCG as the end goal and would review their bowl preparation. I trust Bob will leave no stone unturned and if the preparation is flawed, it will not be from lack of effort. On paper, this looks like a great match-up and the long wait is going to kill me.

JLEW1818
12/7/2008, 11:54 PM
2nd worst time of the year. Gotta wait a damn month. ... uhh its stupid

Crucifax Autumn
12/7/2008, 11:55 PM
I'm gonna leave my goggles on.

goingoneight
12/8/2008, 12:03 AM
I don't want to get into score predictions. I'll take the most pathetic final score of the MNC history as long as we're on top. If that means were have to score 100 to top their 99 or we have to hit a field goal to make it 3-2 in the final minutes after missing five all night long... I don't care what it "looks" like, ya know. Even in games where we're handicapped with injuries or suspensions, you just haven't seen us come out of the gate with any kind of intensity the last four BCS games. The way we played against FSU and WSU was so great because it didn't matter who we were playing, we played with the intensity that we played Tech with just here recently in Norman. It's the intensity that tends to show you who you really are against good football teams, whether you win 65-21 or whether you find yourself unable to stop someone in an OT thriller.

Serisously, I believe if we played with half the sense of urgency we did in the 4th quarter against BSU, we'd have had that game easily. Instead, we tried to get too pretty and took too many chances on offense that bit us hard in the back side. Then it was a game of catch up that we essentially put on the defense, which tired out in the end. You have to know that no matter how good you are, you're human down to the individual... and being human means the team that plays the most intense and focused will always win matchups like these.

OUr resume is good right now, beating TCU and Cincinnati to start things off (and beating them soundly, I might add) in the end is a great measuring stick. Putting 35 on Texas despite 3 turnovers and a dropped 4th down pass near the end meant we could have had more... then having the defense that at least does enough to create separation in these high-scoring affairs is good... but in reality, some pretty lame ducks have scored on us... like aTm getting 28 points on us, KSU getting 35, KU getting 31 in Norman... nothing against these teams, but those are unnacceptable performances when you talk about what it's going to take to win an MNC. Like I said before, I'm not sure we've peaked yet, so I'll reserve my judgement on the defense.

If we give up 28-35 points, I don't see us winning. Not unless my eyes are lying when I see that Florida has the potential to slow us down. I could be wrong, though... I'll admit that. OU could shock me and grab a few turnovers whilst giving up 35 points and find a way to win 38-35 or maybe we just go business as usual and rip UF a new one. However, it's not something to just ignore that this team has a lot to prove. I'm pretty sure they know that, though. Guys like Sam are too smart to just go and get ahead of themselves. Guys like Bomar leading us would scare the crap out of me in this kind of matchup... especially if he was on track to win a Heisman.

nwmsu_bearcat
12/8/2008, 12:11 AM
I see a close game, fought down to the wire. I also think that it may be lower scoring than most folks anticipate. Both teams in the low to mid 30s?

I agree with this.. Man I can't stand Teebow...

I was actually thinking a tid lower.. 31-28 Sooners over Florida.

goingoneight
12/8/2008, 12:15 AM
I don't see why people hate the guy, but maybe I haven't seen his bad side yet. I like him because he reminds me of Heupel... great leader and player whose smart and first one to get on the headset and communicate with both his coaches and teammates throughout the entire process of a game. Being left and having the questionable throwing motion reminds me exactly of Heupel... cuz you know what... say what you want, but apparently he gets the job done for them.

JLEW1818
12/8/2008, 12:17 AM
I'm only gonna hate him for 1 day.

nwmsu_bearcat
12/8/2008, 12:19 AM
I don't see why people hate the guy, but maybe I haven't seen his bad side yet. I like him because he reminds me of Heupel... great leader and player whose smart and first one to get on the headset and communicate with both his coaches and teammates throughout the entire process of a game. Being left and having the questionable throwing motion reminds me exactly of Heupel... cuz you know what... say what you want, but apparently he gets the job done for them.

I just think he is over rated.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2008, 12:24 AM
goingon8 - are you trying to convince us that OU has no chance or that they do ? It looks like a good match-up and we may well win.. or the gators may win. No risk, no reward, eh? The team is playing great right now as a whole and the defense is the best it's played all year. The KU and KSU games are ancient history and the D is at a completely different level right now. The only team to have any success was OSU and for the most part they earned it. I only remember a couple of busted plays. So many times we had their receivers covered and Robinson trapped and he made some amazing escapes. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap (and then put 60 on 'em). I feel good about this team because they haven't laid an egg yet and they have played great on the road, which is a huge improvement since last year. The D isn't dominant, but overall the team is in the title game and it's no fluke - let's just hope this continues 5 weeks from now.

JLEW1818
12/8/2008, 12:28 AM
We need big plays early

sooneron
12/8/2008, 12:34 AM
I just think he is over rated.

I think he is an over actor. I really think all that speech crap and "getting the team fired up" is his big push for a 2nd Heisman. People love "fire".

sooneron
12/8/2008, 12:36 AM
I also agree with quite a bit of what goingoneight said.

We're in for a fight, luckily, this team seems to like scrapping.

Knippz
12/8/2008, 12:52 AM
Focus. Something we lacked the last few years. Redemption. Something we desperately need. Stoops wouldn't even speak on ESPN. That tells you how focused he is.

westcoast_sooner
12/8/2008, 12:57 AM
I think it's going to be a great game. Yeah, Florida is big, fast and have a pretty good defense. Yeah, they have a Heisman winning QB and some decent weapons on offense. But it's not like we haven't played teams with big fast defenses, or good offensive football teams.

I'm not going to discount how tough this game is going to be, but what I will say is this. This Sooner team has beaten 5 ranked opponents this year. These guys have played well, and keep getting better. As a side note, I think our defense is going to be REALLY good next season.

Point is, I think we have a great chance of winning this game. We will have to match their intensity. We won't be allowed any mistakes, and we can't let down. But we can win.

goingoneight
12/8/2008, 01:05 AM
I didn't say we had no chance. Not trying to start anything, and certainly no chicken little. If we were a one-man show like Texas, I'd be scared because UF has the athletes to shut down an offense like UT's centered around McCoy. Not to insult UT too much because what they do works well for them.

Everyone knows what we need in this game, and to just expect it when the writing on the wall says otherwise is just silly. There's a lot of time, and hopefully in that time we can shore up the breakdowns we have and get our guys healthy to put on the best performance of their career. For once, we know ahead of time that OUr opponent isn't sneaking up on us. I, among many other Sooner faithful have watched us blow games before against teams who wanted it more for no other reason than simply that. I've also seen us out-ran before. We gotta want to win this race. If UF puts it on us, it's not because we don't see it coming. If we put it on UF, I'm pretty sure the sports world would be shocked, including some of our own given recent performances.

It should be interesting to follow practice reports and such leading up to this thing. Like many, I want to see the opposition run their mouth. Notice how Urban Meyer quickly denounced Tebow's quote about BIG 12 defenses? He knows that crap makes for long nights in big games.

OU_PhD
12/8/2008, 01:10 AM
The good thing about Tebow's running style is that he runs straight ahead, never to the edge. I think OU can stop him better than most will give us credit for.

One huge factor in this game that I think most will overlook is turnover margin. Our defense has been great at getting turnovers while our offense doesn't give up turnovers. That will be a huge factor.

BTW, anyone see the total? 71.5? Vegas thinks OU is going to score a lot of points (UF too).

OU_PhD
12/8/2008, 01:11 AM
The law of averages is also working greatly in favor of Oklahoma and Bob Stoops

TheGodfather889
12/8/2008, 01:29 AM
Hopefully OU will be the underdog. They always play better as the underdog. It is true, OU will not put up 50-60 points on Florida, they may not even get to 30. Oklahoma must play good defense if they want to beat Florida. I've seen too many games where it was the best offense against the best defense and everytime I want to say the team with the best defense won by a large margin. It's true if OU doesn't execute, if they don't bring the intensity, the desire and will to win on all three phases of the game of football, they will not win against Florida. The Florida Gators are too strong for OU to not bring their A-game against them in the National Championship. This game will be very close. It will be a battle and I pray to whoever that OU should come out on top. However, I do know that OU has a great chance to lose because of the strength of their opponent and that would be so very humiliating and heartbreaking if we came up short again.

OU_PhD
12/8/2008, 01:38 AM
Hopefully OU will be the underdog. They always play better as the underdog. It is true, OU will not put up 50-60 points on Florida, they may not even get to 30. Oklahoma must play good defense if they want to beat Florida. I've seen too many games where it was the best offense against the best defense and everytime I want to say the team with the best defense won by a large margin. It's true if OU doesn't execute, if they don't bring the intensity, the desire and will to win on all three phases of the game of football, they will not win against Florida. The Florida Gators are too strong for OU to not bring their A-game against them in the National Championship. This game will be very close. It will be a battle and I pray to whoever that OU should come out on top. However, I do know that OU has a great chance to lose because of the strength of their opponent and that would be so very humiliating and heartbreaking if we came up short again.

According to covers.com, OU is a 3 point dog to Florida.

sendbaht
12/8/2008, 05:04 AM
Yes some of the gator ladies are hot. Aziansooner are you really in Cambodia? I spend time there now and then in PHN. I enjoy Cambodia a lot. The french bread sold on the corners is so tasty. The French left in the 1960s but lots french this and French that remains.

I was chatting with a guy today at the Gym here in Thailand and he told me that Tim did not start playing foorball until high school and he grew up most of his young life in Philippines. Sounds interesting. Anyone else ever heard this?

SoonerNerd
12/8/2008, 05:24 AM
It's hard to hate on Tebow... I like playing Mizzou because it is so easy to hate on Daniels.

Sooner70
12/8/2008, 06:43 AM
Think it'd be good if OU went into the game as underdog. In fact, wish Fla was rated #1, OU#2, but whatever.

Just hope the Sooners don't go to Miami & lay an egg like has been case recently. Don't think they will. A few things that worry me, though (like deja vu all over again)....

Like Jason White, if Sam wins the Heisman, is it going to be a distraction to the game preps?

Is BV interviewing for a HC job going to be a distraction?

What are the Sooners going to do on MLB? Will Box be back in, or will Balogun be the man?

WHY IN THE WORLD IS STOOPS PUTTING HIS TOP RUNNING BACK & RECEIVERS ON THE KICK RUNBACK TEAM? Can't we do something different on that?

What is going to be done about this woeful inadequacy on kick returns? May be we try & put 12 men on the field & see if the refs catch it.

Somehow Stoops has got to do a better coaching job getting these guys ready for bowl games. Surely by now he knows that.

ratedrsuperstar
12/8/2008, 06:57 AM
What sucks is Tim Tebow didn't even go to the high school he played for, he was home schooled. Here in Georgia they have a league made up of home schooled kids, but in Fla. you can play for the team that is in your district.

Here's a list of who they have put in college the last 3 years.

Jordan Anderson TRINITY INTERNATIONAL U.
Andrew Barnes TRINITY INTERNATIONAL U.
Hunter Bates NORTHWESTERN
Graham Bates ARKANSAS STATE
Ramon Booi WAKE FOREST
Matt Bozich USMMA
Ty Carzoli AIR FORCE
Zach Cooper TOLEDO
Frank Dambeck BIRMINGHAM SOUTHERN
Dalton Faulds EAST CAROLINA
Riley Haynes WAKE FOREST
Jared MacNaught AIR FORCE
Larson Miniard LAGRANGE
Ted Stachitas WAKE FOREST
Mitch Swanson BIRMINGHAM SOUTHERN
C.J. Thompson WASHINGTON & LEE
Kadeem Smith COLLEGE OF THE CANYONS

James Wilson University of Florida
Clyde Yandell Georgia Tech
Mario Butler Georgia Tech
Zach Tronti Brown University
James Nicholson Charleston Southern
Danny Russell University of Connecticut
Christian Dennis Hofstra
Ben Cowell Jacksonville University
Al Della Porta Jacksonville University
Ryan Chiodo Jacksonville University

2006 "Tebow's senior year"
Arin Roby Faulkner University
Tim Tebow University Florida
Charlie Kirschman University of Alabama
Hunter Haynes Wake Forest
Mannie Wellington Florida International University
Ryan Ellis University of Arizona
Daunte Owens Florida International University
Doug Polochak East Carolina
Austin Silvoy Troy
Alex Amaral Bowling Green
Travis Crowley Joliet Junior College
Ian Aguiliar Colgate
A.J. Wetherington LaGrange
Evan Lamolinara Mount Union
Joey Flinchbaugh Presbyterian
Caleb Cooper University of Tennessee
Bo Howard University of Florida
Rodney Sumter Georgia Tech
Evan Lamolinara Mount Union

Can you say football factory ? I wonder how many of these kids were home schooled and was this school the reason Tebow's parents chose that district to live in ?

East Coast Bias
12/8/2008, 07:53 AM
Florida is beatable. Our ends will give them problems running the option on the edge which is their bread/butter.If our defensive line/Lb's can clog the middle, he will have to beat us with the pass.We have the edge in a shoot-out....

ruf/nekdad
12/8/2008, 08:09 AM
According to covers.com, OU is a 3 point dog to Florida.

Perfect.

pergdaddy
12/8/2008, 10:05 AM
Oh, please dear lord baby jesus, beat Florida. I can no longer stand the pimping of Tim Tebow as the heir apparent to God whenever he decides to retire. I think that Meyer (and for that matter most of the SEC) is an arrogant pompous a**hole who gets away with stuff because the SEC covers everything up as best as they can. Gotta keep an image up.

Anyways, Go Bucks, hopefully we beat Texas. And I'll most definitely be a Sooner fan come national championship time. Gotta root for the Ohio boy Stoops, but I would be completely fine with Oklahoma winning. This Buckeye is rooting for Sam Bradford to have his way with the Gator defense.

good luck to the sooner nation.

cjames317
12/8/2008, 10:52 AM
Noted Gator alum Spencer Hall (EDSBS; Sporting News) acknowledges the lethality of OUr offense:

"The Sooners offense is not a scheme, it is a conveyor belt for opposing teams to step on with a bolt gun waiting at the end. Shhhh, other team. It’ll happen so fast that you won’t feel a thing. Just ask anyone the Sooners have faced for the past six weeks."

I feel like this game will be like the Florida-Nebraska game for the 1996 natl' championship, except we're more like that Gators team and they're more like that Huskers team.

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 11:02 AM
I think it is a game that is going to prove one of the two teams.

Is OU's offense that great or did they just face bad defenses? All I know is 60+ points in 5 straight games included four bowl teams and those teams all had at least 8 wins. Only aTm does not fit into that group.

Is Florida's defense that great or did they face a lot of bad offenses? Heck, Bama had a 15 play and 10 play drive in the third quarter of that game Saturday. They also scored on a two play 80 yard drive. And that's with a Bama offense that has a running back who would be fourth string at OU and a one trick pony receiver who is a stud, but you knew who Bama was throwing to in key situations. OU has about four or five options. And John Parker Griffith Joyner Kersey Cougar Mellencamp Wilson is NO Sam Bradford. Who is the best QB Florida faced? Arguably Jevan Snead who could not even start in front of Colt McCoy.

If OU's DE's take away some of Florida's option ability, I really, really like our chances to make some early stops. If those stops lead to our offense getting a lead early, I really like forcing Tebow to throw more. A few times he had easy targets and misfired last Saturday. Yes, he made some big time throws, but if they are down and he is forced to lead his team back, it could be asking too much of him.

And win the turnover battle. We can't have muffed punts and inexplicably throwing into quadruple coverage like our last time in this game. If we can force Tebow to throw, pick him off and break his spirit, not even a Bible study at halftime can save him.

I just think one of the two teams will exact their will. Either their defense fools us and we are just a shell of what we are accustomed to or our defense makes some stops and our offense does what it has been doing and we roll. I

I don't expect a barn-burner. Someone wins going away...my $.02.

FirstandGoal
12/8/2008, 11:10 AM
Looking back at our regular season play this year a few things stand out in my mind:

Early wins are hard to judge, but the more I think on it, the more impressed I am with our wins over TCU and Cincy. At the beginning of the season, I was like, "meh, great we won against TCU and Cincy at home" but looking back, it was more impressive than it seemed at the time.
Road Warriors we are. This is something huge that we most definitely did not have last year. In fact, it was the biggest question mark in my mind to start this season off with. This is why we came out of Stoolwater with a "W" IMO. Without this, there is no chance in hell we would be able to compete in, much less win what amounts to an away game next month. Glad to see we are able to compete again on the road.
Heart. Not to get all sappy, but this team seriously has exhibited a desire and fire to get the job done that previous teams for some reason have lacked. I dunno if its due to our leaders, coaches, Sooner Magic or something else intangible, but I am so freaking glad that we have it back.
Good fortune, good timing. Not to take anything away from what we have accomplished, but I will be the first to admit that we caught some breaks along the way. Any time you lose in Dallas, your chance of making it to the CCG, let alone the MNC game are slim. However, even though whorns get convenient amnesia over 39-33, it did happen. Thank goodness! Everything from Crabtree's amazing catch, to the game in Stoolwater being at the time and place that it was, Cincy and TCU boosting us so much in the puters, to other teams losing or winning at exactly the time and place to work out best for us--- everything fell into the exact place that it had to for us to be in control of our own destiny again.

Sorry Florida, but this season feels like 2000 all over again.

Bottom line:
Sooners win!

Jason White's Third Knee
12/8/2008, 11:35 AM
#1 Special teams needs a massive upgrade starting now. We should be working that **** hard every single practice.

#2 Defense is playing well, but we need that intensity that we saw against TT and dare I say it? When Mike Stoops was here.

#3 Will we have the depth? If everyone on D is healed up, oh baby, we'll be good.

#4 The offense might not hang half a hundred twenty on Fla, but they can damned sure try. They are confident and they DO NOT let off the gas.

We do a have a great shot here.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/8/2008, 11:39 AM
It's hard to hate on Tebow... I like playing Mizzou because it is so easy to hate on Daniels.

Damned do gooder. He is a great guy and great leader, but I wish he would stop shoving his religion down my throat. If it's a personal choice and a personal savior, keep it personal, k Timmay?

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 11:44 AM
I heard Timmy say on espn that he was going to pray about who to vote for with his Heisman vote. Pray? God cares about the Heisman?

Just looking at Florida's season...sloppy early...even allowed that LSU QB to throw for 241 yards on them. They only outscored the worst Tennessee team in decades 13-6 after the first quarter. They led at Arky 17-7 after 3 quarters. But Florida certainly got hot down the stretch, starting with the blow out of Kentucky. They really did face a lot of teams with no offensive punch, though. Georgia moved the ball, but turned it over a bunch. Worst Tennessee and LSU team in awhile. Arkansas, too. Vandy, KY, Hawaii and Miami...eh. Florida State was a good performance.

I'm certain they haven't played a team as good as us. I guess we will see if they are the best team we have faced this year.

crawfish
12/8/2008, 11:45 AM
Damned do gooder. He is a great guy and great leader, but I wish he would stop shoving his religion down my throat. If it's a personal choice and a personal savior, keep it personal, k Timmay?

Actually, I respect him for the fact he's so open about it. Most would stay quiet to avoid the controversy.

1890MilesToNorman
12/8/2008, 11:53 AM
Like every game/sport, the big games are won between the ears. That's right between the ears. The talent is there, the schemes and plays are there and the experience is there. If we are motivated, coaches put a nice game plan together and the players execute it's a no brainer.

Get'em Ready Bob! Get'em Ready.

tbl
12/8/2008, 11:55 AM
Can we pick up a kicker that can make it beyond the 20 yard line and get a special teams unit that isn't giving the opposition the ball on their 45 every kickoff? That short field nonsense is not going to cut it against Florida.

That's the one area that really, really concerns me with this game.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/8/2008, 12:08 PM
Actually, I respect him for the fact he's so open about it. Most would stay quiet to avoid the controversy.

Are you kidding? You wanna respect someone for being open? How about a gay guy? Or an atheist?

Being open about Christianity in this country isn't courageous. Kurt Warner yelled "Thank you Jesus!" after winning the Super Bowl. Not to mention that every other touch down is punctuated with a someone pointing to his creator, etc.

You find a guy that DOESN'T believe in God and admits THAT, well, there you have a very courageous man. In this country it's worse to believe in nothing to believe in the devil.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/8/2008, 12:13 PM
Can we pick up a kicker that can make it beyond the 20 yard line and get a special teams unit that isn't giving the opposition the ball on their 45 every kickoff? That short field nonsense is not going to cut it against Florida.

That's the one area that really, really concerns me with this game.

Dude.

Oh.

Dude.

You are so right on that. Little HELP!!!! Special teams?!?!?!?!

Remember when we were AWESOME at special teams? Best returns in the country? Field position was a joke in our favor! Where is it?!?!?!?!

JLEW1818
12/8/2008, 12:15 PM
Michael Phelps and Lance Armstrong are atheist. Tebow is a christian before a football player. Maybe Tebow feels that people look at him because he is an athlete, therefore he can get God's word out easier?

NormanPride
12/8/2008, 12:28 PM
We're fortunate in that we've played a team like Florida. They call themselves the cowboys, but we know them as aggy. This is bad in that they scored a lot on us.

However, I did not see similar players on Florida as I did with aggy. Aggy has a QB that is fast and agile that can throw a pretty deep ball. Florida has QB that is strong and shifty that can throw the ball okay. Aggy also has a RB that is fast and strong, with the ability to fall forward. Florida has a set of WRs that run all over the place and are really farking fast. I honestly think Florida matches up with us better than we did with our little brothers, in that we can collapse on Tebow a bit better than we could against Robinson, and we can follow fast RBs all day as long as they go down when we hit them.

Also, not having huge threats like Pettigrew AND Bryant helps. I imagine we'll run a lot of the same stuff we did with Mizzou to match up with the WR speed. And we'll pray that our DL can handle their OL and allow the LBs and Safeties to free up and bring their side to side game down with minimal damage. I can only imagine that they will try to run a lot to keep their D off the field, but that assumes that our corners can cover their WRs without too much trouble. They're good, but they won't be Bryant/Crabby/Shipley/Briscoe good.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 12:41 PM
We need to hit and be opportunistic on Defense - Intensity wise we need to make sure we stop their run game option.

This is for the MNC and not the fiesta bowl... We will be motivated and I am sure Bob wants it so bad that he is going to be possessed in the game planning and not out done by Urban Meyer- what a moe...

We need intensity for sure, both sides of the ball... I think we can stop Florida - starting with hitting Tebow..

Florida is not all that on D- they are fast - Mis Direction and play action is going to blow them up... They also gave gashing yards to Alabama up the middle...

UM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bob. IMO.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/8/2008, 12:50 PM
Michael Phelps and Lance Armstrong are atheist. Tebow is a christian before a football player. Maybe Tebow feels that people look at him because he is an athlete, therefore he can get God's word out easier?

I haven't heard a peep about either of them being atheist, but any time I hear
Tebow speak I hear references to his religion. He would do it regardless of his status (see family). He's no hypocrite and I applaud him for that. I don't think that he needs to convert the world and bless everyone all of the time.

I just get REALLY annoyed by it. I love to watch football. FOOTBALL.

KingBarry
12/8/2008, 02:27 PM
In my head, I'm seeing something like 35-28, or 35-31.

Who gets the W is tougher, though I think we edge them -- unless the game is decided by special teams in which case we lose our 5th straight BCS bowl game.

It also sucks that if we win we don't get an Orange Bowl trophy, but that's antoher issue.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 03:05 PM
Looking back at our regular season play this year a few things stand out in my mind:

Early wins are hard to judge, but the more I think on it, the more impressed I am with our wins over TCU and Cincy. At the beginning of the season, I was like, "meh, great we won against TCU and Cincy at home" but looking back, it was more impressive than it seemed at the time.
Road Warriors we are. This is something huge that we most definitely did not have last year. In fact, it was the biggest question mark in my mind to start this season off with. This is why we came out of Stoolwater with a "W" IMO. Without this, there is no chance in hell we would be able to compete in, much less win what amounts to an away game next month. Glad to see we are able to compete again on the road.
Heart. Not to get all sappy, but this team seriously has exhibited a desire and fire to get the job done that previous teams for some reason have lacked. I dunno if its due to our leaders, coaches, Sooner Magic or something else intangible, but I am so freaking glad that we have it back.
Good fortune, good timing. Not to take anything away from what we have accomplished, but I will be the first to admit that we caught some breaks along the way. Any time you lose in Dallas, your chance of making it to the CCG, let alone the MNC game are slim. However, even though whorns get convenient amnesia over 39-33, it did happen. Thank goodness! Everything from Crabtree's amazing catch, to the game in Stoolwater being at the time and place that it was, Cincy and TCU boosting us so much in the puters, to other teams losing or winning at exactly the time and place to work out best for us--- everything fell into the exact place that it had to for us to be in control of our own destiny again.

Sorry Florida, but this season feels like 2000 all over again.

Bottom line:
Sooners win!

Fla + Urban Meyer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fla ST + Bowden

The best "D" OU faced this year is probably UT. That "D" would not register in the top 5 talent wise in the SEC (statistally it is a joke). If Harvin is healthy you might want to dig a foxhole because it will be 2004 all over again.

NormanPride
12/8/2008, 03:34 PM
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/i_dont_think_so_tim.jpg

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 04:09 PM

The best "D" OU faced this year is probably UT. That "D" would not register in the top 5 talent wise in the SEC (statistally it is a joke). If Harvin is healthy you might want to dig a foxhole because it will be 2004 all over again.

Ah, yes...our first SEC DOOSH has arrived!

The vaunted SEC. Where they own a losing record to the ACC this year!

Where a team actually lost to DUKE!!! Duke!! Not in hoops, mind you!

That team was Vandy...who also won AT OLE MISS!! Did Ole Miss beat anyone of note in the SEC this year?

SEC teams lost to UCLA...to Wyoming...okay, okay. It was Tennessee on both fronts. A team Florida outscored 13-6 over the final 3 quarters.

I honestly believe one of the two teams in the title game is not as good as advertised. Someone will not live up to the billing. We shall see.

JLEW1818
12/8/2008, 04:17 PM
Did yall notice when ever Alabama would throw the ball rather deep, Florida had trouble defending it. Look for Sammy B to have a big day in the air, if not I think we are toast. If we can just give Sam time to throw, we have a great chance of winning the game. oh yah, and no dumb flags.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 04:21 PM
Ah, yes...our first SEC DOOSH has arrived!

The vaunted SEC. Where they own a losing record to the ACC this year!

Where a team actually lost to DUKE!!! Duke!! Not in hoops, mind you!

That team was Vandy...who also won AT OLE MISS!! Did Ole Miss beat anyone of note in the SEC this year?

SEC teams lost to UCLA...to Wyoming...okay, okay. It was Tennessee on both fronts. A team Florida outscored 13-6 over the final 3 quarters.

I honestly believe one of the two teams in the title game is not as good as advertised. Someone will not live up to the billing. We shall see.

Check the Big 12 record against the Big East (2-3). ACC>>>>>Big East.

Maybe both are overrated but, if you watched the Fla / Ala, how can you say it isn't faster and more physical? OU / UT resembled Dancing with the Stars compared to that game.

BTW, I grew up outside of Lawton in Chattanooga. I consider myself neutral. Both parents went to OU. I went West.

NormanPride
12/8/2008, 04:26 PM
You really thought the SEC game was fast? Really? I mean, it wasn't Big 10 football, but neither of those teams made speed their gameplan.

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 04:32 PM
Check the Big 12 record against the Big East (2-3). ACC>>>>>Big East.

Maybe both are overrated but, if you watched the Fla / Ala, how can you say it isn't faster and more physical? OU / UT resembled Dancing with the Stars compared to that game.

BTW, I grew up outside of Lawton in Chattanooga. I consider myself neutral. Both parents went to OU. I went West.

Piece by piece. I don't give two dumps about the Big 12. You are the one, as most SEC folks do, going on and on about the SEC. If Baylor or Iowa State or Kansas State lost to UConn, Pitt or whoever, I don't give a damn.

No way in hell will I say the SEC is faster...and this isn't track! Besides, Bama has ONE offensive weapon. Julio Jones. He still had a big game. Coffee for Bama would be Carter Whitson's best friend on the OU team cause they would be on the sidelines the entire time until Whitson came in for PAT's and FG's. OU will have three receivers, the best tight end Florida has faced and a pair of 1,000 rushers for options on offense. Hell, we just might be slower...but six options on offense and the best player in the country determining who gets the ball works for me, no matter what their 40 time is! And for you to act like OU and Texas are loaded with a bunch of slow players moving in slow motion compared to the likes of Alabama and Florida shows you are just here to make my work day more compelling. Or you are just eat up with dumbass on a record level.

And you could have been conceived on the 50 yard line of Owen Field for all I care...it doesn't make you any less of a troll that obviously jerks off to SEC WEEKLY magazine like the rest of the blow hard fans in that part of the country.

Is it 31 days later yet?!?!?!

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 04:44 PM
Piece by piece. I don't give two dumps about the Big 12. You are the one, as most SEC folks do, going on and on about the SEC. If Baylor or Iowa State or Kansas State lost to UConn, Pitt or whoever, I don't give a damn.

No way in hell will I say the SEC is faster...and this isn't track! Besides, Bama has ONE offensive weapon. Julio Jones. He still had a big game. Coffee for Bama would be Carter Whitson's best friend on the OU team cause they would be on the sidelines the entire time until Whitson came in for PAT's and FG's. OU will have three receivers, the best tight end Florida has faced and a pair of 1,000 rushers for options on offense. Hell, we just might be slower...but six options on offense and the best player in the country determining who gets the ball works for me, no matter what their 40 time is! And for you to act like OU and Texas are loaded with a bunch of slow players moving in slow motion compared to the likes of Alabama and Florida shows you are just here to make my work day more compelling. Or you are just eat up with dumbass on a record level.

And you could have been conceived on the 50 yard line of Owen Field for all I care...it doesn't make you any less of a troll that obviously jerks off to SEC WEEKLY magazine like the rest of the blow hard fans in that part of the country.

Is it 31 days later yet?!?!?!

Don't understand all the anger. You seem to be worried about something. Your the one bringing up Tennesee's record against ACC. Sorry your Conference's record against the Big East caused such angst. I didn't even include WVA performance in the BCS last year or it would be 2-4 in the last 12months. Hard to be proud of that.

You clearly need the 31 days to pass faster than I do. Hopefully you are lying down and taking your medication.

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 04:49 PM
Nah, I just find folks who praise a conference more than they choose to pick a team to be almost inexplicably dooshy.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 04:51 PM
You really thought the SEC game was fast? Really? I mean, it wasn't Big 10 football, but neither of those teams made speed their gameplan.

I'm sure you had the game on but maybe didn't watch it pending the Big 12 CF game. I thought both teams defenses were faster and way more physical than UT's. Remeber, UT was starting two Freshmen at safety which OU exposed. Not so with Fla. Ala would have been the same.

SEC CF game was better prep than Big 12 CF game for what is coming up. Just my opinion.

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 04:54 PM
SEC CF game was better prep than Big 12 CF game for what is coming up. Just my opinion.

Man, you are just full of brilliance. I would hope playing an unbeaten team is better prep than facing a booger eater. Besides, it was Florida's 13th game. And only their second one against a team now ranked. It was about time for them to face a decent team and earn their spot in the title game. But, unlike Bama, OU has two great running backs and four guys at a time to throw to, not just a spectacular true freshman and no one else.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 04:57 PM
Nah, I just find folks who praise a conference more than they choose to pick a team to be almost inexplicably dooshy.
Until someone beats them on the big stage I consider them the best. I'm not directly tied to any school in either Conference. I think there is a reason the SEC teams don't run the TT spread like almost everyone in the Big 12 does now. The QBs would get killed. Only 2 teams in the 12 remotely rush the passer. Otherwise, it is pitch and catch every week for UT and OU.

31 days as you say.

NormanPride
12/8/2008, 04:57 PM
I think the only major conference with obviously inferior talent is the Big 10. And by major conferences I mean SEC, Big12, Pac10, Big10. If I thought the ACC was a major conference anymore I would include them in the "inferior talent" category as well.

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 05:02 PM
Until someone beats them on the big stage I consider them the best. I'm not directly tied to any school in either Conference. I think there is a reason the SEC teams don't run the TT spread like almost everyone in the Big 12 does now. The QBs would get killed. Only 2 teams in the 12 remotely rush the passer. Otherwise, it is pitch and catch every week for UT and OU.

31 days as you say.

Well, Bob Stoops hand picked Mike Leach to come coach offense at OU cause while Stoops, who was at Florida, helped lead them to a national title, he said Kentucky's offense under Leach was the hardest to stop.

You showing up today and saying you are not tied to any conference or school is about like Fox News or CNN trying to convince me they don't lean one way or the other.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 05:04 PM
Man, you are just full of brilliance. I would hope playing an unbeaten team is better prep than facing a booger eater. Besides, it was Florida's 13th game. And only their second one against a team now ranked. It was about time for them to face a decent team and earn their spot in the title game. But, unlike Bama, OU has two great running backs and four guys at a time to throw to, not just a spectacular true freshman and no one else.

OU has two great RBs? Against anyone other than UT and TCU maybe (25 yards on 32 carries). Against the rest of your schedule anyone would look great. Funny how that works. FLA defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UT by alot.

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 05:08 PM
OU has two great RBs? Against anyone other than UT and TCU maybe (25 yards on 32 carries). Against the rest of your schedule anyone would look great. Funny how that works. FLA defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UT by alot.

"I am not tied to any school or conference."

Don't **** on my cupcake and try to convince me it's frosting.

Yes, because having 2 1,000 yard rushers while having a 4,000 yard passer happens EVERY year!

Stats don't lie, though. OU ran the ball poorly in those games. TCU sold out to stop it and I hate the running game plan against Texas...trying between the tackles.

We shall see if the change since that game continue on 1/8/09.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 05:08 PM
Well, Bob Stoops hand picked Mike Leach to come coach offense at OU cause while Stoops, who was at Florida, helped lead them to a national title, he said Kentucky's offense under Leach was the hardest to stop.

You showing up today and saying you are not tied to any conference or school is about like Fox News or CNN trying to convince me they don't lean one way or the other.

I have indirect ties to OU but I think the SEC is the best at the top. I did not attend College in either Conference.

However, I prefer FOX News.

Harry Beanbag
12/8/2008, 05:10 PM
I think there is a reason the SEC teams don't run the TT spread like almost everyone in the Big 12 does now. The QBs would get killed. Only 2 teams in the 12 remotely rush the passer. Otherwise, it is pitch and catch every week for UT and OU.

31 days as you say.

Yep. That reason is lack of QB and WR talent.

KantoSooner
12/8/2008, 05:13 PM
Having watched the Ala/FL game and then OU/Mizzou,along with too many hours the rest of the season, to me, it comes down to two factors: Are Harvin and Murray healthy and 100%?

Without Harvin, FL's offense is not the same. They are more or less the Timmy Show and a defense with speed can stop that....or at least limit the damage.

With Murray, the OU offense goes from excellent to unstoppable. Truly a touch waiting to happen each and every down.

Either team could take the game: if it's OU,though, they take it big, going away.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 05:17 PM
"I am not tied to any school or conference."

Yes, because having 2 1,000 yard rushers while having a 4,000 yard passer happens EVERY year!
Stats don't lie, though. OU ran the ball poorly in those games. TCU sold out to stop it and I hate the running game plan against Texas...trying between the tackles.

We shall see if the change since that game continue on 1/8/09.

Only in the Big 12!

If TCU sold out on the run, why did Sammy only complete 55% of his passes and OU had to punt 9 times? Sounds like you drank the koolaid Stoops was pouring after that game. Funny how he was able to adjust the run game against Baylor, Tech, KU, KSU, aTm, MIZ and all of the other bottom 50 defenses in the Country.

Harry Beanbag
12/8/2008, 05:20 PM
Only in the Big 12!

If TCU sold out on the run, why did Sammy only complete 55% of his passes and OU had to punt 9 times? Sounds like you drank the koolaid Stoops was pouring after that game. Funny how he was able to adjust the run game against Baylor, Tech, KU, KSU, aTm, MIZ and all of the other bottom 50 defenses in the Country.

Bradford threw for over 400 yards and 4 TDs genius.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2008, 05:20 PM
I have indirect ties to OU but I think the SEC is the best at the top. I did not attend College in either Conference.

However, I prefer FOX News.

Sorry, I was doubting your objectivity. But now that I know you watch a news channel that listens carefully to all sides of every issue before rendering a fair and balance opinion, I see that I was wrong. My bad.

wishbonesooner
12/8/2008, 05:21 PM
I hear so much about defenses in the SEC being so much tougher. How would their stats look if they played offenses like the Big 12 has? UF may indeed have a great D, they may look pretty average under siege.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 05:22 PM
Either team could take the game: if it's OU,though, they take it big, going away.

Hard to argue that FLA has the better "D". With two great offenses, it is hard to believe the one with the better "D" would get blown out.

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 05:22 PM
Only in the Big 12!

Yeah, I guess leading 35-3 after 3 quarters and completing 55 percent of the passes for 411 yards against a better team than Florida beat OOC is not impressive based on what Sam did the rest of the year.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 05:27 PM
I hear so much about defenses in the SEC being so much tougher. How would their stats look if they played offenses like the Big 12 has? UF may indeed have a great D, they may look pretty average under siege.

We heard the same stuff in '03 and '04 prior to LSU and USC. OU averaged close to 50 per game in those years as well. Defense wins generally. Big.

Harry Beanbag
12/8/2008, 05:27 PM
Hard to argue that FLA has the better "D". With two great offenses, it is hard to believe the one with the better "D" would get blown out.

Since we're talking about TCU.

Total Defense
TCU-----2nd
Florida---9th

Total Offense
TCU-----29th
Florida---18th

Final Score OU vs TCU-----35-10
Final Score OU vs Florida---????? Somewhere around 38-15 sound about right?

Harry Beanbag
12/8/2008, 05:30 PM
We heard the same stuff in '03 and '04 prior to LSU and USC. OU averaged close to 50 per game in those years as well. Defense wins generally. Big.

Actually, in 03 it was 43 and 04 was 35, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this season. :confused:

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I guess leading 35-3 after 3 quarters and completing 55 percent of the passes for 411 yards against a better team than Florida beat OOC is not impressive based on what Sam did the rest of the year.

Talk to me about TCU when they are in the BCS. They wouldn't even be Bowl Eligible in the SEC. Probably not in the Big 12 or any other BCS Conference. What a reach.

Miami, Fla State? Both would beat TCU and Cincy.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 05:35 PM
Since we're talking about TCU.

Total Defense
TCU-----2nd
Florida---9th

Total Offense
TCU-----29th
Florida---18th

Final Score OU vs TCU-----35-10
Final Score OU vs Florida---????? Somewhere around 38-15 sound about right?

Having grown up in Oklahoma, I am embarassed for the school that you guys are using TC frikkin U as validation for your program. You guys are going to get elephant stomped if the team shares your low self esteem.

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 05:36 PM
Talk to me about TCU when they are in the BCS. They wouldn't even be Bowl Eligible in the SEC. Probably not in the Big 12 or any other BCS Conference. What a reach.

Miami, Fla State? Both would beat TCU and Cincy.

If TCU had a kicker they would be in and Utah would be out of the BCS.

And I think I've had enough debate with a moron for one day...if you are now waving the banners of FSU and Miami and what powerhouses they are.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 05:37 PM
Actually, in 03 it was 43 and 04 was 35, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this season. :confused:

Big numbers against weak defenses. Has everything to do with this year.

CurtisFagan
12/8/2008, 05:37 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I love OU as much as anyone.

Now, this game is definitely an uphill battle for us.

Our Defense vs. Gator Offense

First off, we have not fared well against running quarterbacks. Colt McCoy was able to gain yards on the ground against us when Texas most needed them (bogus late hits aside). Zac Robinson also was able to gain big chunks of yards on the Sooner defense. I understand that we beat OSU, and Robinson had an interception and a fumble, but what you must realize is that Tebow has thrown only two interceptions on the year. I do not know how many fumbles he has had, but I'm willing to guess he doesn't have many. Second, whether we want to admit it or not, their speed is undeniable. They play very fast, and although we have faced great offenses in the Big XII, this is a different breed of great offense. Our D-Line is phenomenal, and it will be up to them to shut down Tebow and the veer/option offense, thus forcing Tebow to put the ball in the air. We cannot give up long, time consuming drives.

Our Offense vs. Gator Defense

This comes down to how well the O-Line plays. We all know what Sam can do with time. However, we have seen what can happen when a defense is able to get pressure on Sam (Texas). One way to slow down the rush is with a solid running game, and that also rests on the shoulders of our O-Line. The defense of Florida is also fast, but from watching the Alabama game, they can be exposed. Let's hope that Stoops has the line ready for a tough battle against a big, mobile D-line.

Finally, we cannot ignore our recent failures when the spotlight has been on us. I grew up in Texas and am now back in Texas after graduating from OU, and I have defended the Sooners' woes by stating that Stoops has treated the last two Fiesta Bowls as vacations for the players. With no NC on the line, Stoops figured he would let the athletes enjoy it. Also, he tends to practice the young guys a lot during this time to get them ready for next year. I hope he changes his procedure up this year, and has strict rules in place for the 2 or 3 nights leading up to the game.

I think the most important thing is to make sure that Florida does not have long drives that chew a bunch of clock. The more they keep our offense off the field, the less time they have to get "clicking."

One last thought, FWIW, this Sooner team seems, to me at least, to be more cohesive and serious than past Sooner teams. I know it's not much, but have you watched the guys celebrate after touchdowns? They all seem genuinely happy that they scored, and they don't care who does it. The whole offense seems to mob whoever scores and looks to be excited that his teammate had the opportunity to put points on the board. This team appears as though they really do care about a win more than individual accomplishments.

Boomer Sooner!!!

Harry Beanbag
12/8/2008, 05:38 PM
Big numbers against weak offenses. Has everything to do with this year.

No, you're talking about OU teams from 4 and 5 years ago, not Florida's defense from this season.

GPANDFF
12/8/2008, 05:39 PM
If TCU had a kicker they would be in and Utah would be out of the BCS.

And I think I've had enough debate with a moron for one day...if you are now waving the banners of FSU and Miami and what powerhouses they are.

More name calling? Did you see that thread about classless Missouri fans?

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 05:44 PM
More name calling? Did you see that thread about classless Missouri fans?

I don't care if your "born in Oklahoma/don't care who wins" punk *** thinks I am classy! I think being classy is for San Diegans. Or is it San Diegons? San Diegoians???

Go **** up a rope.

NormanPride
12/8/2008, 05:45 PM
In troll land, the transitive property of football rules all.

Harry Beanbag
12/8/2008, 05:48 PM
I don't care if your "born in Oklahoma/don't care who wins" punk *** thinks I am classy! I think being classy is for San Diegans. Or is it San Diegons? San Diegoians???

Go **** up a rope.

Just call him a whale vagina and be done with it. :)

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 05:50 PM
Big numbers against weak defenses. Has everything to do with this year.

Yes, in spite of scoring an NCAA record 702 points this season while NOTICEABLY taking our foot off the gas most games (456 of our 702 points came in the first half...only 93 4th quarter points all year...we could have eclipsed 800 if we had wanted to), while scoring at least 35 on every team we faced, while facing 6 teams ranked in the top 21 of the BCS we all know it is just because every team we faced sucked on defense. It was about how bad they sucked and we were just lucky to score so many damn points...more than any team ever...while Sam was on the bench for roughly two games due to crushing opponents early.

OU sucks. The computers even prove that point. We are DOOMED!!!

The Maestro
12/8/2008, 05:52 PM
Just call him a whale vagina and be done with it. :)

I wouldn't do that to whales. I like whales!

Maybe I will just hit him with a burrito. I don't even own a dog so no worries.

Harry Beanbag
12/8/2008, 06:00 PM

If things get really out of hand, I have a trident you can borrow.

WileyCoyote
12/8/2008, 06:11 PM
1st Time Poster Here.......

Glad I found this site and hope to contribute something positive to the discussion.

Lots of stats analysis, historical game performance and general discussion which I find informative and interesting when looking at the upcoming NCG.

IMHO the game will turn on who's D-Line dominates the other's O-Line. You might say that is an oversimplification that smacks of the obvious. To me the essence of the game comes down to smash mouth football in those trenches.
And that is simple & obvious. It isn't a complicated equation, its execution (of the other guy) lol .

The meanest, hungriest cats on the line open it up for Bradford & Co. (skill players) to make plays.

If FLA's D-line disrupts and whips our hogs, it will be a long night. This is a timing and rhythm offense. Essentially the same thing is true for our D-line.

Our D needs to 'clock' or slobber-knock some Gators early and send that message. It's men vs boys.

Both teams are loaded with skill players who are worthy of mucho respect at this level. All these kids at these 2 schools went there with the goal of playing in a game like this. You are gonna see who is the hungriest, most focused and able to channel emotions after that coin is tossed.

If they are mentally prepared properly by their coaches, they will be MAKING their history and legacy, not thinking about anything from previous games or seasons. Just whip the guy in front of you and do your job, trust your teammates will do the same.

Thanks....BOOMER !!!!

Tulsa_Fireman
12/8/2008, 06:22 PM
I'm wearing Sex Panther as we speak.

A calming, non-partisan word about the match-up.

The defense we saw in the Big XII Championship wasn't anything special. I know Herbie and Mushbooger were going on about Venables changing up the looks and being a regular ninja from the sidelines, but there wasn't anything happening that hasn't happened before short of where he brought blitzes from, shockingly similar to last year. Guaranteed Cover 2 Dime on 5 wide sets, guaranteed Nickel on 4 Wide sets. Play after play after play. Nic would crack, Lindy or Quentin would roll. Travis would come, ol' Big Hammer #20 would slide up and give the over up to the FS. Plain and simple textbook spread cover with pressure to help a weakened linebacking corps.

NOTHING fancy, as dominating as it looked. Chase Daniel is a questionable talent at QB. Openings were there. Lindy Holmes had a rough ballgame, but thankfully pressure up front and Mizzou's insistence to either freeze the corner to open the under or hit the zipper to get behind the LB was the only trick they had up their sleeve. In other words, Mizzou is a very crappy ballclub. Surprisingly so. Florida they're not.

If Florida's smart, they'll hit us in the mouth. Downhill. Take advantage of the hole at MLB and see if Mike Balogun has earned his chops against the run. Follow that with work in the deep thirds, skinny posts, go routes, anything and everything to challenge our safeties. They can be beat. They've shown too many breakdowns and misreads so far, Mizzou being a gamefilm disaster for safety play (read: Maclin TD in the 1st half, a safety bust, the bad throw to the big TE on the Z-up that Lindy jumped too quick, et cetera, et cetera).

So it hinges, in my opinion, on our ability to score. Florida will score on us. Period. Folks will be right back on the 'FIRE VENABLES' bandwagon. Throw in a turnover or two and 30 carries for roughly 120 to slightly offset a 300+ yard game from Slingin' Sammy Bradford, and we can win this ballgame. But it'll have to happen from the offensive side of the ball. Because even with our performance in the Big XII Championship (a VERY well-called game on Venables part), the defense still isn't where it needs to be.

There's holes in the bucket, dear Liza. Let's hope they're small enough for us to keep it full of offense.

KantoSooner
12/8/2008, 06:44 PM
If Florida's hopes hinge on running through Balogun, they got trouble. Passing just a wee bit behind him, though......

Harry Beanbag
12/8/2008, 06:44 PM

The defense we saw in the Big XII Championship wasn't anything special. I know Herbie and Mushbooger were going on about Venables changing up the looks and being a regular ninja from the sidelines, but there wasn't anything happening that hasn't happened before short of where he brought blitzes from, shockingly similar to last year. Guaranteed Cover 2 Dime on 5 wide sets, guaranteed Nickel on 4 Wide sets. Play after play after play. Nic would crack, Lindy or Quentin would roll. Travis would come, ol' Big Hammer #20 would slide up and give the over up to the FS. Plain and simple textbook spread cover with pressure to help a weakened linebacking corps.

NOTHING fancy, as dominating as it looked. Chase Daniel is a questionable talent at QB. Openings were there. Lindy Holmes had a rough ballgame, but thankfully pressure up front and Mizzou's insistence to either freeze the corner to open the under or hit the zipper to get behind the LB was the only trick they had up their sleeve. In other words, Mizzou is a very crappy ballclub. Surprisingly so. Florida they're not.

If Florida's smart, they'll hit us in the mouth. Downhill. Take advantage of the hole at MLB and see if Mike Balogun has earned his chops against the run. Follow that with work in the deep thirds, skinny posts, go routes, anything and everything to challenge our safeties. They can be beat. They've shown too many breakdowns and misreads so far, Mizzou being a gamefilm disaster for safety play (read: Maclin TD in the 1st half, a safety bust, the bad throw to the big TE on the Z-up that Lindy jumped too quick, et cetera, et cetera).

So it hinges, in my opinion, on our ability to score. Florida will score on us. Period. Folks will be right back on the 'FIRE VENABLES' bandwagon. Throw in a turnover or two and 30 carries for roughly 120 to slightly offset a 300+ yard game from Slingin' Sammy Bradford, and we can win this ballgame. But it'll have to happen from the offensive side of the ball. Because even with our performance in the Big XII Championship (a VERY well-called game on Venables part), the defense still isn't where it needs to be.

There's holes in the bucket, dear Liza. Let's hope they're small enough for us to keep it full of offense.

I think you are correct. We'll have to outscore them. If they stop us and cause turnovers, we're done. To be honest, Florida is the one team I didn't want to have to play.

FirstandGoal
12/8/2008, 11:51 PM

This has got to be one of the stupidest posts I have seen on this site this year.

And with all of the whorn garbage that has been posted, that's really saying something.

Ummm.... I really like me some burritos seeing as I worked late tonight and missed dinner and all.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/9/2008, 01:08 AM

Are you ****ing kidding? I love burritos.

Bastard.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/9/2008, 01:19 AM

I think you are wrong. I know where you are coming from. Mo IS down. But BV did mix things up pretty well. The only time anyone knew what was going on was when the play stalled and the D didn't change calls. I think you are over stating some obvious plays from a bird's eye view...and the blitz angle is key every time.

Sure, they will score, but our D has stepped up the intensity and hopefully we will have a lot of impact players back.

Florida is very good, but over all the sec is down. I don't want to down play Fla or bama. We should be able to handle them if:

We play solid special teams. (god willing)
We get turn overs. (and that seems to be what our D is really good at)

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2008, 01:36 AM
If you caught the Urban Meyer interview on game time, one thing he specifically mentioned about his D is having Brandon Spikes be his defensive QB on the field at the mike position and how critical that was. Obviously, we lost that with RR's injury and won't get it back Jan 8th. In spite of that, I do think the defense is playing it's best ball right now and that's the best you can hope for. I think turnovers will be critical. Going into the CCGs, OU and UF were tied for best in the nation in TO margin. And both team do that by hanging onto the ball, not by just forcing more TOs by the other guy. If our D can force a couple, they can make up for weaknesses in other areas.

JLEW1818
12/9/2008, 01:43 AM
They run a lot of slant routes

Tulsa_Fireman
12/9/2008, 09:06 PM
I think you are wrong. I know where you are coming from. Mo IS down. But BV did mix things up pretty well. The only time anyone knew what was going on was when the play stalled and the D didn't change calls. I think you are over stating some obvious plays from a bird's eye view...and the blitz angle is key every time.

I knew what was going on after the 1st quarter. And I'm not a smart guy. Where I think the confusion comes is in varying blitz packages but not varying defensive packages. The look was consistent throughout the game. But then again, it stayed consistent because Mizzou kept their look consistent. The only thing Venables "changed up" was where he brought pressure from. His looks were straight forward Cover 2 in Nickel and Dime with an occasional 3-2 thrown in to front the Dime instead of the 4-1 look.

Sure, they will score, but our D has stepped up the intensity and hopefully we will have a lot of impact players back.

Florida is very good, but over all the sec is down. I don't want to down play Fla or bama. We should be able to handle them if:

We play solid special teams. (god willing)
We get turn overs. (and that seems to be what our D is really good at)

And I couldn't agree more.

the_ouskull
12/9/2008, 11:43 PM
GoingOnEight... The whole post was really, really good, but this quote in particular touched me. (Emotionally, not molesterlyly...)

You gotta be flat-out good to beat these guys. I mean, accurate, quick, have a little something about you that just can't be beat. Have a little fire in your belly that can take what they give you and muscle up on them.

This is what scares the sh*t out of me about this game. Florida's intense, talented, skilled, and well-coached defensive line... against Phil Loadholt. Our offensive line is, in my opinion, the weak link of this team... but it hasn't really been tested yet. (Well, it has... once... and lost...) If our offensive line shows up to play, and we don't run out of linebackers before kickoff, then I think we have a chance...

...but I don't feel like there's a big chance that our offensive line will show up to play, either. I just think that Florida is going to be able to get pressure on Sam without using a linebacker, and that's going to take away a lot of what we like to do underneath; running and passing. Yes, our offense set records this year, etc... but not against "real" quality defenses. Yes, I know Cincy and TCU are nationally ranked. I also know that, while Cincy and TCU are nationally ranked, so is Florida, and they're ranked with NFL prospects who are very well-coached and very team-oriented.

Are we?

the_ouskull

jfelduf
12/10/2008, 12:38 AM
This is what scares the sh*t out of me about this game. Florida's intense, talented, skilled, and well-coached defensive line... against Phil Loadholt. Our offensive line is, in my opinion, the weak link of this team... but it hasn't really been tested yet. (Well, it has... once... and lost...) If our offensive line shows up to play, and we don't run out of linebackers before kickoff, then I think we have a chance...

...but I don't feel like there's a big chance that our offensive line will show up to play, either. I just think that Florida is going to be able to get pressure on Sam without using a linebacker, and that's going to take away a lot of what we like to do underneath; running and passing. Yes, our offense set records this year, etc... but not against "real" quality defenses. Yes, I know Cincy and TCU are nationally ranked. I also know that, while Cincy and TCU are nationally ranked, so is Florida, and they're ranked with NFL prospects who are very well-coached and very team-oriented.

The biggest difference between UF this year and last year is the defensive line being able to get pressure by themselves. Single biggest difference.

I won't pretend I know a ton about Oklahoma's O-line, but I'll be interested to see how they protect against our DEs. Most of the year, Jermaine Cunningham (junior, possible early entry to NFL) has been getting double teamed. Therefore, the other side DE, Carlos Dunlap, benefits by leading the SEC in sacks.

Also, Brandon Spikes is great at run stuffing, but is equally skilled as a pass rusher. Some are projecting him as a DE in the NFL...he's forced a lot of interceptions this year by getting into the backfield.

PLaw
12/10/2008, 01:07 AM
No more gloating, no more stating our case, no need to try and argue any longer. We're in... This time WE have to win against the odds.

Wow, record long post. But, here is the skinny:

1) Preparation - Simply have to play sound, fundamental football. OL has got to open holes, D has to wrap up, and special teams can't have break downs. And, you've got to be healthy and in great condition.

2) Focus - Can't have turnovers. Can't have stupid penalities that turn a a 3rd and 2 to a 3rd and 12. Can't hold them to 3rd and 4 and give up a 1st down on a penalty. Avoid getting caught up in the BCS hoopla. You're on a business trip.

3) Play to Win - They are going to hit you in mouth, but you have got to be tougher and you have to be ready to respond. You've got hate losing more than you like winning.

4) Sense of Urgency - Play every down like it is your last - simply have to do it now. Can't take a down off.

5) Commitment - Everyone has to be accountable. Coaches, players, trainers, fans - everyone. Do your job to the best of your ability.

Got it? Okay, SOONER NATION, let's go kick some ***.

BOOMER

KantoSooner
12/11/2008, 12:44 PM

Your D will have to respect the run. They are mediocre against the pass. We have an excellent passing attack. If that all works out, and it might not, Bradford could pass for 400+ and that would equal "going away".

Anyway....

My Opinion Matters
12/11/2008, 01:10 PM
GoingOnEight... The whole post was really, really good, but this quote in particular touched me. (Emotionally, not molesterlyly...)

Are we?

the_ouskull

I don't have my knickers too twisted up over Florida's pass rush. Statistically they're middle-of-the-road at getting to the quarterback. To assert that the offensive line is the weak link of team is taking it a bit too far I think, but I definitely agree that Phil Loadholt is the weak link on the line. My hope is that Brody Eldridge factors heavily into the gameplan. He's the best blocker on the team, offensive linemen or otherwise. I can't remember with any degree of accuracy, but it seems like he was either held out or had very limited playing time against Texas. I hope we'll see Eldridge lined up on Loadholt's side against Florida. I would also expect to see him lined up in the backfield some for blitz pick-ups, we've seen this look a couple of times the last few games. Personally, I think we'll do ok picking up blitzes. Demarco Murray is above average at picking up the blitz. Chris Brown does a serviceable job.