PDA

View Full Version : When Players Get Hurt

SicEmBaylor
12/6/2008, 08:16 PM
Question:

When a college football player gets hurt and needs surgery, does the school pick up the hospital bill or is the player responsible for the costs? I'm assuming they have some sort of student athlete insurance plan.

Wishboned
12/6/2008, 08:51 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I would say the school has insurance coverage for this. I know it was like that when I was in high school.

salth2o
12/6/2008, 09:00 PM
The schools have insurance policies that cover athletically related injuries. Often though they are secondary in nature. If the athlete/family have insurance it is primary and the institutions insurance covers whatever remains.

Okla-homey
12/6/2008, 09:58 PM
Mr and Mrs Bradford won't be plunking down their VISA tomorrow morning if that's what you're asking. In fact, I bet the surgeon comps the surgery. That's good advertising; I performed hand surgery on Sam Bradford and he went on to lead OU to a National Championship the following month!;^)

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2008, 10:09 PM
well, MU won't be paying for booger's sex change if that's what you mean!

Tulsa_Fireman
12/6/2008, 10:12 PM
Mr and Mrs Bradford won't be plunking down their VISA tomorrow morning if that's what you're asking. In fact, I bet the surgeon comps the surgery. That's good advertising; I performed hand surgery on Sam Bradford and he went on to lead OU to a National Championship the following month!;^)

As shiitty as it would be if it is, would that be an NCAA violation?

Okla-homey
12/6/2008, 10:22 PM
As shiitty as it would be if it is, would that be an NCAA violation?

I know what you mean, but if the doc were to use it for marketing purposes, he's getting value. So its not a gift. That said, 'twer I the doc, I'd charge 'em twenty bucks and call it even.:D

Wishboned
12/6/2008, 10:23 PM
well, MU won't be paying for booger's sex change if that's what you mean!

OU's D is giving him a free operation tonight.

DrZaius
12/6/2008, 10:48 PM
I don't know about Chase but that hit on Maclin definitely dislodged his balls from his body.

Wishboned
12/6/2008, 11:02 PM
I don't know about Chase but that hit on Maclin definitely dislodged his balls from his body.

Two for one Big 12 Champion special.

soonersis
12/7/2008, 12:46 AM

More than likely, Sam's parents have excellent insurance coverage. That would be primary and the athletic department would be secondary. Also since commercial insurance would cover it, more than likely it would be a violation of the physician's contract with the insurance to write of what is left after they pay.

Several of my clients treat college athletes, and i would sooner shoot the doc than let him make those patients "insurance only".

Bradford's Pinky
12/7/2008, 01:01 AM
whoops

Bradford's Pinky
12/7/2008, 01:02 AM
My son (HS QB) broke his collar bone last year in a game and the school wouldn't pay a dime -- ended up costing us $2000 out of pocket (deductible). This year, exactly one year to the week, he broke the other collar bone in practice, again they wouldn't pay anything and we have another $2000 in bills to pay.......

SicEmBaylor
12/7/2008, 01:36 AM
I would think that he would get at least some kind of deal if he is treated at OU medical center. Isn't that essentially like having an entire hospital of doctors on retainer?