PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam May Close Hash Bars and Brothels?

Rogue
12/6/2008, 04:08 PM
Seems they don't like the "criminal element" that those places attract. (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world-europe/20081206/EU.Netherlands.Amsterdam.Cleanup/)

Too bad.

IBleedCrimson
12/6/2008, 04:58 PM
that sucks... i was flying home from stavanger norway to chicago and had a connecting flight through amsterdam in 2006. the flight was overbooked and the next available one was not until the morning. since it was the airlines fault and the layover was more than 12 hrs, i got a free hotel room in downtown amsterdam, and 500 euros cash. definitely the best night of my life. i had such a good time in those has bars.

KC//CRIMSON
12/6/2008, 05:16 PM
Been there, done that. Overrated.

SteelCitySooner
12/6/2008, 05:54 PM
Not that I care either way, but just knowing it is there is comforting. I'm not a fan of closing it in my head. ;)

Cam
12/6/2008, 05:57 PM
It's just a small portion of them. There will still be plenty of hooters of both varieties available if you're so inclined.

Chuck Bao
12/6/2008, 06:03 PM
It used to be a lot of fun. The last couple of times there I noticed Eastern European mafia or gangs preying on tourists. The link to the article isn't loading for me, but I'm guessing that is what is happening.

It is a great pity because Amsterdam is a great city and the Dutch are always fun for a party.

It is also a great pity because one of the arguments to legalize is that it is supposed to take the criminal element out. I still think it is the right idea.

The Eastern European mafia / gangs have taken over in many major European cities, as they have in Thailand's seaside resort city of Pattaya.

These are not nice people and you should never get involved with them.

StoopTroup
12/7/2008, 11:35 AM
It used to be a lot of fun. The last couple of times there I noticed Eastern European mafia or gangs preying on tourists. The link to the article isn't loading for me, but I'm guessing that is what is happening.

It is a great pity because Amsterdam is a great city and the Dutch are always fun for a party.

It is also a great pity because one of the arguments to legalize is that it is supposed to take the criminal element out. I still think it is the right idea.

The Eastern European mafia / gangs have taken over in many major European cities, as they have in Thailand's seaside resort city of Pattaya.

These are not nice people and you should never get involved with them.

Why would I get involved?

Do they just have a way about them that attracts the average American towards them? "Hi there...are you with the Eastern Mafia? We had mafia in our Country for awhile. You guys seem to be better equipped. So how's the Mafia Business doing?" :D :pop:

SactoSooner
12/7/2008, 12:12 PM

Technically, pot and hash aren't legal in Amsterdam. It's decriminalized and the "coffee shops" are tolerated by local law enforcement. There is a possibility that these closures will ultimately result in actual legalization, which a lot of the local politicians support.

Jacie
12/8/2008, 07:12 AM
If they are going to take the hash can they at least leave the brothels alone?

Chuck Bao
12/8/2008, 09:06 AM
Why would I get involved?

Do they just have a way about them that attracts the average American towards them? "Hi there...are you with the Eastern Mafia? We had mafia in our Country for awhile. You guys seem to be better equipped. So how's the Mafia Business doing?" :D :pop:

I don't know. One of my friends got "involved" with a beautiful Russian prostitute. And, that turned out quite badly.

yermom
12/8/2008, 02:56 PM
Technically, pot and hash aren't legal in Amsterdam. It's decriminalized and the "coffee shops" are tolerated by local law enforcement. There is a possibility that these closures will ultimately result in actual legalization, which a lot of the local politicians support.

Yeah, it breaks down like this, okay, it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and if you're the proprietor of a hash bars, it's legal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, but but, that doesn't matter, because...get a load of this, alright, if you get stopped by a cop in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's the right the cops in Amsterdam DON'T have.

SoonerInKCMO
12/8/2008, 03:34 PM
I don't know. One of my friends got "involved" with a beautiful Russian prostitute. And, that turned out quite badly.

It wasn't like 'Hostel', was it? :(

olevetonahill
12/8/2008, 03:46 PM
That shat just aint right . That would Be Like Outlawin Titties and Beer Here :mad:

Chuck Bao
12/8/2008, 05:14 PM
It wasn't like 'Hostel', was it? :(

I don't think so. Things were supposedly going along swimmingly until the Russian boyfriend showed up and started threatening to kill her with a knife. She then tried to kill herself and then thought better of it after swallowing a lot of pills and supposedly clung on the back of a motorcycle taxi in a mad dash across Bangkok to my friend's home so that he could take her to the hospital and pay the bill.

Okay, that's not so sinister but it is pretty messed up. I take that back: human trafficking is sinister.