PDA

View Full Version : Game Time Reasoning?

OUinFLA
12/6/2008, 04:02 PM
I tend to think about this every two years.

Why is the SEC game, which is played inside the Georgia dome scheduled for
4pm, and the BigXII game which is played everyother year outside in Arrowhead in -75 degree weather, scheduled at 8pm.

Since we have to put up with Arrowhead every other year, why not have the game at 2pm? At least the temperature could be expected to be something above the freezing point of dirt.

Better yet, play all Big XII CCG's in Dallas, every year.

my rant of the day.

SteelCitySooner
12/6/2008, 04:04 PM
duhh.. Cause SEC is the best man. :rolleyes:

I actually liked San Antonio last year..

OUinFLA
12/6/2008, 04:07 PM
I liked San Antonio as well, but having it there every year doesn't give the North division much respect.............. oh, wait.....

tulsaoilerfan
12/6/2008, 04:09 PM
Any chance Jerry World will get this game?

SteelCitySooner
12/6/2008, 04:10 PM
Dallas isn't a bad option. I don't mind alternating north to south if there was a dome somewhere we could use in the north..

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2008, 04:16 PM
We get the late game because we are the conference worthy of prime time. The other games are just warm-ups.

Wishboned
12/6/2008, 04:19 PM
Dallas isn't a bad option. I don't mind alternating north to south if there was a dome somewhere we could use in the north..

The one in St. Louis would work.

OUinFLA
12/6/2008, 04:26 PM
St Louis would be an improvement in game conditions for sure.

bluedogok
12/6/2008, 04:38 PM
One game is on CBS and one is on ABC, in the past they have both been in primetime, I guess the SEC didn't want to compete for ratings against the Big 12 this season.

The game will be in JerryWorld next year and the year after. There is talk of them trying to host it permanently like the Georgia Dome does for the SEC.

DallasNews.com - Big 12 not ready to commit to Dallas Cowboys' new stadium (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/120608dnspobig12future.3698fb7.html)
12:40 AM CST on Saturday, December 6, 2008

By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – If the Dallas Cowboys' new $1.1 billion stadium is to become the permanent home of the Big 12 football championship game, it won't be until at least 2010.

The conference needs to "experience Dallas and the new facility" before making a decision on whether the stadium is a long-term fit, Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said. Beebe said the next time the conference's board of directors would meet to vote on possibly changing the league's policy from a rotating venue to a permanent one would be early 2010.

The Big 12 title game will be played tonight at open-air Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. In 2009 and 2010 it moves to the Cowboys stadium in Arlington. Last year's title game was at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Beebe said that Big 12 presidents and chancellors voted in 2007 to not lock in sites long term for the conference's football and basketball championships. The Big 12 men's and women's postseason basketball tournaments will be played in Oklahoma City in 2009 and in Kansas City in 2010 and 2011.

Missouri's Gary Pinkel said Friday the league's football coaches talked in May about how the SEC handles its football championship game every year, playing it at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.

"It's kind of the place you've got to go," Pinkel said. "It's a dome."

OU coach Bob Stoops said Friday that the league must consider how to handle potential inclement weather when choosing a host site.

Beebe said that's an important factor for him as well.

"You could have a scenario for a team that's in position to compete for a national championship that doesn't get to play to their capability because of weather," Beebe said.

Beebe said part of the attractiveness of the new Cowboys' stadium is the retractable roof.

"And it's a great tool for recruiting. The capacity is going to be tremendous," Beebe said. "There is relative ease for most of the schools' fans to get to Dallas, not just in terms of flying but also driving. A lot of schools, even in the North [Division], can get here in a day's drive or less."

Briefly: OU quarterback Sam Bradford will play with a splint on his left (non-throwing) hand to brace the torn ligaments in his thumb. "He's been able to operate under center and do what we normally do," Stoops said. Bradford will have surgery on the thumb Sunday. ... Stoops said defensive end Auston English (sprained knee) could play about 25 snaps today.

SteelCitySooner
12/6/2008, 04:46 PM
Works for me! ;)

OUinFLA
12/6/2008, 04:56 PM
Hey thanks for the DM post, I like it

Down side is....
how would the horns justify flying a protest banner over a closed stadium?