PDA

View Full Version : You Know How I Know Joe Satriani Isn't Gay?

Viking Kitten
12/6/2008, 11:39 AM
He doesn't like Coldplay. (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/COLDPLAY_COPYRIGHT_INFRINGEMENT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A noted guitarist has sued members of Coldplay, claiming the band's smash hit "Viva La Vida" copied parts of one of his songs.

The copyright infringement lawsuit by Joe Satriani was filed Thursday in federal court in Los Angeles.

The 52-year-old claims Coldplay copied "substantial, original portions" of his 2004 song, "If I Could Fly." The Coldplay hit, which was nominated for a Grammy this week, has topped charts around the world and been used to sell iPods in commercials.

Representatives for the band and their label, Capitol Records, did not return calls seeking comment on Friday.

Satriani wants a federal judge to order an accounting so he can determine how much money he may be owed, or else stop using the song.

Hmmmm... Definitely a similarity:
1ofFw9DKu_I

Tailwind
12/6/2008, 11:48 AM
I like Joe's version better.

Dio
12/6/2008, 01:00 PM
Ray Parker Jr. thinks this lawsuit is bull****.

Veritas
12/6/2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, pay up Coldplay. They've taken the melody and tempo and gone in a different direction.

The blended version sounds pretty cool.

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2008, 01:05 PM
Because he's Joe ****in' Satriani. That's why we know he's not gay.

Getem
12/6/2008, 02:09 PM
I dunno. That melody and progression are generic enough and have enough differences that Joe's not going to be to prove they copied it versus just happening to come up with something similar. Which he has to do to claim copyright infringement.

KC//CRIMSON
12/6/2008, 05:22 PM
I seriously doubt it was intentional.

Surfing With The Alien was the best thing Satch ever did.

Viking Kitten
12/6/2008, 05:32 PM
I don't think it was intentional either, and I'm not sure I'd use the term "substantial" to describe the portion of the song that was similar. Isn't there some legal definition of the word "substantial" in these cases? Eight consecutive identical measures or something like that? Seems like I remember reading that when that guy sued the BeeGees.