PDA

View Full Version : Well, I've officially been admitted to law school.

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2008, 05:34 PM
:)

Just got off the phone with the OU College of Law. I have been offered a spot in the incoming Fall 2009 class and my application has been forwarded to the scholarship committee.

Yay!

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2008, 05:35 PM
Still waiting to hear back from Indiana, Alabama, Virginia, and Michigan State.

olevetonahill
12/5/2008, 05:42 PM
Grats But If ya Got Into OU why worry about the Others

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2008, 05:47 PM
Heh. OU drops Michigan State out of the mix.

Virginia is about is as good as it gets when it comes to law schools.

Indiana and Alabama are both ranked ahead of OU Law, and may have more scholarship money to give.

NYC Poke
12/5/2008, 05:51 PM
Do not go to Indiana, Alabama, or Michigan State unless you're sure you want to practice in Indiana, Alabama, or Michigan. With your LSAT, you should be aiming much higher.

KC//CRIMSON
12/5/2008, 05:51 PM
Why didn't you go for an Ivy League, ya weinerhead?:D

olevetonahill
12/5/2008, 05:53 PM
Ya but there you wont Be able to OU Student Football Tics. and Tail Gate with Great Peeps
jus sayin

NYC Poke
12/5/2008, 05:54 PM
P.S. Congrats!

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2008, 05:55 PM
Do not go to Indiana, Alabama, or Michigan State unless you're sure you want to practice in Indiana, Alabama, or Michigan. With your LSAT, you should be aiming much higher.

That's what Virginia's for.

Seriously, nothing wrong with Indiana or Alabama. Both are ranked in the top 40. Alabama's just outside the top 10 for publics.

Condescending Sooner
12/5/2008, 05:55 PM
Where are you going to seek employment? You are in for disappointment if you think you are going to get wealthy practicing law in Oklahoma.

Boomer.....
12/5/2008, 05:56 PM
Congrats! It's going to be a shame to move out of that frozen place.

mdklatt
12/5/2008, 05:58 PM

What, no love for Regent University?

So you're switching from being a banker to being a lawyer. If that doesn't work out, you can always try IRS auditor, used car salesman, or Big 12 football official. :D

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2008, 06:00 PM
Where are you going to seek employment? You are in for disappointment if you think you are going to get wealthy practicing law in Oklahoma.

Duly noted. In all honesty, I'll probably wind up back here practicing. I actually like living here most of the time.

What, no love for Regent University?

So you're switching from being a banker to being a lawyer. If that doesn't work out, you can always try IRS auditor, used car salesman, or Big 12 football official. :D

Yeah, nor for Liberty. :D

Viking Kitten
12/5/2008, 06:04 PM
Congrats!

NYC Poke
12/5/2008, 06:05 PM
That's what Virginia's for.

Seriously, nothing wrong with Indiana or Alabama. Both are ranked in the top 40. Alabama's just outside the top 10 for publics.

I'm not knocking any of those schools. I'm just commenting on the portability of the degree. Heck, if you want to practice in Dallas, SMU is perfectly fine. But the degree doesn't get you nearly as far down I-45 in Houston. Going to a "name" school is just about keeping as many options open as you can for when you graduate. I'd throw in a few more reach schools, if I were you.

UVA's a good call. I've never met anyone who went there for law school who didn't love it (as far as law schools go, anyway).

OUHOMER
12/5/2008, 06:08 PM
Well, congrats for being accepted. If you need and references, just point them here to SO.

We can tell them your are right. Just a little schizo with your name :D

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2008, 06:12 PM
I'm not knocking any of those schools. I'm just commenting on the portability of the degree. Heck, if you want to practice in Dallas, SMU is perfectly fine. But the degree doesn't get you nearly as far down I-45 in Houston. Going to a "name" school is just about keeping as many options open as you can for when you graduate. I'd throw in a few more reach schools, if I were you.

UVA's a good call. I've never met anyone who went there for law school who didn't love it (as far as law schools go, anyway).

Good points.

Like I said, in all likelihood I'll probably wind up back here practicing. I love this state, as much as I like to bitch about the cold. Up here, if you went to a Tier One school you're in really good shape. MSU is the only non-tier-one school I've applied to, and that was mainly because they have a phenomenal indigenous peoples law program.

Okla-homey

Just got off the phone with the OU College of Law. I have been offered a spot in the incoming Fall 2009 class and my application has been forwarded to the scholarship committee.

Yay!

You should go to OU. Big fish little pond and all that. I bet you could finish very near the top of your class. You go to UVa and there are probably going to be lots of kids as smart as you there.

Oh, and Meatchicken State is private, despite the name. Very $$$$. Not particularly highly rated neither. And you have to be in Michigan too. Don't forget, the vast majority of law skool grads end up practicing w/in 200 miles of their law skool.

Fraggle145
Congrats!!

Flagstaffsooner
12/5/2008, 06:15 PM
Uh-oh here comes another one.;)
http://www.riverside.dpsnc.net/teacherpages/mchambers/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/animated-pirate-flag.gif

Seriously, congradulations.

Okla-homey
12/5/2008, 06:17 PM
Good points.

MSU is the only non-tier-one school I've applied to, and that was mainly because they have a phenomenal indigenous peoples law program.

Every year our LLM in Native American Law program at TU has several MSU grads in it. If you wanna do Indian law, Oklahoma is where you wanna be. Either TU or OU.

In fact, Homey and two other TU grads, plus a Maryland grad, are litigating this baby on behalf of the Oklahoma tribes:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20081128_12_A14_hFundi817308

Curly Bill
12/5/2008, 06:20 PM
WTG Froze.

NYC Poke
12/5/2008, 06:27 PM
Good points.

Like I said, in all likelihood I'll probably wind up back here practicing. I love this state, as much as I like to bitch about the cold. Up here, if you went to a Tier One school you're in really good shape. MSU is the only non-tier-one school I've applied to, and that was mainly because they have a phenomenal indigenous peoples law program.

That makes sense. Don't discount the option of working for a few years in a large firm, though. Despite the mindless drudgery that will be involved, it really does expose you to a lot that will be helpful to you later down the road. It will also help you pay down any debt you have and allow you to save to move on to something else.

My gf recently transitioned to a small practice in rural Connecticut after years of working in a large NYC firm and then in-house at an investment bank. She has found it ridiculously easy so far simply because she's a much better lawyer than anyone else she deals with.

proud gonzo
12/5/2008, 06:43 PM
AWESOME

85Sooner
12/5/2008, 07:26 PM
WHAT? not Tejas????????????????????

Congrats

King Crimson
12/5/2008, 08:44 PM

if it's UVA you'll be sure and want to watch this cinematic masterpiece.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103125/

John Kochtoston
12/5/2008, 09:08 PM

Indiana and Alabama are both ranked ahead of OU Law, and may have more scholarship money to give.

Michigan State also has a program that allows you to get a J.D. from them and an LL.B from a school in Ontario in four years, allowing you to sit for a Canadian Bar Exam. Might come in handy in Alaska, if you ever venture into B.C. or the Yukon.

soonerboomer93
12/5/2008, 10:06 PM

Yay!

well that'll help you with the whole "pg stalker" bit

SicEmBaylor
12/5/2008, 10:25 PM

No Baylor? I take this as a personal rebuke.

Good day to you sir.
I said, good day!

StoopTroup
12/5/2008, 10:39 PM
Screw law School...hire a good lawyer and open up a decent Strip club in Alaska...call it "Palling Around" or something witty. :D ;)

Tailwind
12/5/2008, 10:55 PM
Cool!

GottaHavePride
12/5/2008, 11:14 PM
WOOOOO!

proud gonzo
12/5/2008, 11:40 PM
well that'll help you with the whole "pg stalker" bitheh

leavingthezoo
12/6/2008, 08:46 AM
here comes the rif raff.

i mean, good job! ;)

royalfan5
12/6/2008, 09:17 AM
Congrats, but just remember it's a lot cooler to go to a Tier One Law School and then drop out to pursue a career in Agriculture.

batonrougesooner
12/6/2008, 03:04 PM
Great. Another lawyer.;)

Congrats.:D

Okla-homey
12/6/2008, 04:23 PM
Great. Another lawyer.;)

Congrats.:D

I for one, am happy he's pledging the profession. We need more lawyers who have actually had a job and responsibility before going to law skool.

Rogue
12/6/2008, 04:34 PM
Congrats Froze!
I'm sure you'll have to make a choice soon.
I love me some Norman, OK, but Charlottesville is a top 5 city in which to live every year.

Okla-homey
12/6/2008, 04:39 PM
Congrats Froze!
I'm sure you'll have to make a choice soon.
I love me some Norman, OK, but Charlottesville is a top 5 city in which to live every year.

Plus. VA is new Blue State...which would be all comfy for my esteemed pinko colleague.;)

batonrougesooner
12/6/2008, 04:43 PM
I think Froz will be an excellent lawyer. Agree it's good to see someone have other real world experience before they enter professional school.

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2008, 05:05 PM
Plus. VA is new Blue State...which would be all comfy for my esteemed pinko colleague.;)

Heh.

My five choices are in two light blue states, two deep red states, and one deep blue state.

I figure no matter where I go to law school there's gonna be a lot of pinkos running around to feel at home with.

NYC Poke
12/6/2008, 05:11 PM
Don't be so sure. There were just a handful of libs where I went to school. UVA has a reputation of being a pretty conservative school, also.

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2008, 05:16 PM
Well, I should at least be able to hang with the professors.

Seeing as how I'll be closer to their age than the majority of students. :(

AlbqSooner
12/7/2008, 06:27 PM
Kudos!

I will pass along what was told to me as I was about to begin Law School.

"If Gilbert's don't make it don't take it.":D

That was a long time ago and I don't know if Gilberts are still around.

C&CDean
12/8/2008, 02:53 PM
Great. Just what we need. Another leftista barrista.

So what you're really saying is that you still don't know what you wanna be when you grow up?

Rogue
12/8/2008, 08:07 PM
Forgot my snarky observation...
whew, and I was worried we might have a loy-yer shortage around here.

Frozen Sooner
12/10/2008, 02:05 PM
Just heard from Alabama-I'm in with the Tide, they'll call me on Friday with scholarship money.

w00t!

mdklatt
12/10/2008, 02:10 PM
Just heard from Alabama-I'm in with the Tide, they'll call me on Friday with scholarship money.

Do they rank their law school similar to the way they count football championships?

Frozen Sooner
12/10/2008, 02:13 PM
Do they rank their law school similar to the way they count football championships?

Heh.

They're ranked #32 by USN&WR, compared to #68 for OU.

Plus they've got a former Supreme Court Justice as an alum, which I'm sure counts for another football title.

Okla-homey
12/10/2008, 02:21 PM
Heh.

Plus they've got a former Supreme Court Justice as an alum, which I'm sure counts for another football title.

But he voted for "separate but equal" on Plessy v. Ferguson so he's kinda not bragged about much down there.

OUDoc
12/10/2008, 02:25 PM
Congrats, Froze!

Frozen Sooner
12/10/2008, 02:30 PM
Sure, but he fixed it by voting for Brown v. Board of Education.

Heck, there was only one dissenter on Plessy v. Ferguson.

King Crimson
12/10/2008, 02:52 PM

w00t!

Froz, meatgrinder honk....you and Sudden Sam. :D

Frozen Sooner
12/10/2008, 02:58 PM
Heh.

I'd have to get used to saying things like "John Parker Wilson threw 9 TD passes against SEC defenses, which is roughly equivalent to throwing 9 TDs agaisnt the NFL all-pro team."

Hey, you went to an SEC school...

NYC Poke
12/10/2008, 03:08 PM
Don't get too caught up in the whole rankings game. There are about 15 law schools that are considered elite, and about 20 after that that are considered solid nationally among recruiters. Beyond that, they're all regarded as more or less equal (other than the bottom tier) and how far the degree gets you will depend more on geography. For example, if you wanted to practice in Oklahoma, you'd be better served in going to OU, and vice versa for Alabama. But if you wanted to practice in, say, DC you'd be better served by going to a "national" school or one in the area.

King Crimson
12/10/2008, 03:12 PM
Heh.

I'd have to get used to saying things like "John Parker Wilson threw 9 TD passes against SEC defenses, which is roughly equivalent to throwing 9 TDs agaisnt the NFL all-pro team."

Hey, you went to an SEC school...

that's true, i did. you know, i just don't think about it that way at all. "we" were always kind of embarrassed by that association, i think. Tennessee was "the big rival" and they didn't take Vandy seriously and Kentucky was the team you "might" beat if it was a home game...so, that was a big one. half-hearted rivalries with Duke and Tulane, sort of.

no one really paid attention.

edit: this was before the innerwebs so i distinctly remember it being impossible to get any news outside the SEC beyond an OU box score in the papers. my Mom subscribed me to the Sunday Norman Transcript so i got some news on Tuesdays or whenever it came in the mail.

back on topic, you'll be able to rock a crimson tie either way.

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2008, 06:02 PM
'Bama's putting on the full-court press.

In addition to the iTunes gift card, they just came back with a scholarship that'll cover all but a couple of grand in tuition the first year and will cover more the second year and third years(if I'm granted Alabama residency and maintain a 3.0.) They're also flying me out to visit in February so I can check out the town and the school, then appear in front of the scholarship committee to ask for more money.

Oh, yeah, and they're getting me a houndstooth fedora. ;) Seriously, I jokingly asked for one for my visit and they asked me my hat size.

SicEmBaylor
12/12/2008, 06:09 PM
'Bama's putting on the full-court press.

In addition to the iTunes gift card, they just came back with a scholarship that'll cover all but a couple of grand in tuition the first year and will cover more the second year and third years(if I'm granted Alabama residency and maintain a 3.0.) They're also flying me out to visit in February so I can check out the town and the school, then appear in front of the scholarship committee to ask for more money.

Oh, yeah, and they're getting me a houndstooth fedora. ;) Seriously, I jokingly asked for one for my visit and they asked me my hat size.

If you see Kevin Steele in your daily travels around town and campus will you do little old SicEm a big favor and throat punch the son of a bitch?

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah, you can go ahead and fight your own battles vs. former football players who have a reputation for anger.

SicEmBaylor
12/12/2008, 06:14 PM
Yeah, you can go ahead and fight your own battles vs. former Baylor coaches who have a reputation for being vegetarian wimps .

Fixed.

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2008, 06:27 PM
You know, for whatever reason I thought he was the one who attacked Kevin Greene, not the other way around.

SicEmBaylor
12/12/2008, 06:29 PM
You know, for whatever reason I thought he was the one who attacked Kevin Greene, not the other way around.

Nah, Kevin Greene got pissed off and just walked up and tried to throttle him. Kevin Greene almost did us a huge huge favor.

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2008, 06:32 PM
Ah, you gotta give a guy who, when sitting on a lead with less than 10 seconds to go opts to try to let his guys score instead of killing the clock, then watches his guys fumble and have it returned for a game-winning TD, doesn't completely melt down and start punching players.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2008, 05:11 PM
Two more offers in:

Michigan State has offered a full tuition scholarship worth about $35k/year renewable with a B average. Unfortunately, accepting means I have to live in East Lansing. Plus, Michigan State is the lowest-ranked school I applied to.

Oklahoma's offer was somewhat disappointing. Out-of-state tuition waiver worth $10k (renewable with a C+ average) and a one-time $5k cash scholarship.

Looks like I'm going to have to start practicing talking about how Mississippi State would dominate the Pac-10.

birddog
12/16/2008, 05:22 PM
that thar's some fancy book learnins! congrats. i would be bored as hell.

NYC Poke
12/16/2008, 05:24 PM
What are the application deadlines? Play the field a little and see what else you get.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2008, 05:31 PM
What are the application deadlines? Play the field a little and see what else you get.

March for most.

I'm going to take your advice and throw a suicide mission at Columbia. Also I think I'll apply at Illinois a well.

NYC Poke
12/16/2008, 05:49 PM
I'd throw in a couple at the Columbia level and a couple at the Illinois level. And don't be too scared at the asking price of tuition at the top private schools. They're usually able to put together some pretty generous scholarships and other aid.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2008, 05:53 PM
Illinois is rougly the same level as Alabama and Indiana. At least per the USN&WR rankings.

OUMallen
12/16/2008, 06:11 PM
I'm still somewhat fresh out of school, so allow me to toss in my $0.02.

1. Congrats! This is an exciting time for you.

2. You seem to be entirely too concerned about rankings. Your end-game is getting a job you like in a place you like with a salary you like. The rankings of each school play a much smaller role in that than you think. Being in the top 5% at OU will get you further in OKC than being in the bottom 5% at Harvard.

2. If you really want to practice in OKlahoma, you'd be best served going to school here. That way you have access to on-campus interviews, etc. IF you're out of town, you have a LOT more work to do in seeking out summer clerkships with firms out-of-state. Sure, big firms will be impressed if you pull out a good ranking at Columbia...but probably won't give much of a care about Michigan State.

3. Balance all of that with: student loans/scholarships. Sounds like you're doing well on scholarships. I can't overstate how important it is to watch how all this works because they WON'T TELL YOU! It's a crappy "hide the ball" thing, but they mostly will pay only lip service to the financial aspect. Limit limit LIMIT LIMIT LIMIT!!! your exposure to debt. Sure, those student loan rates are low...but they can seriously hinder your ability to accept a job you'd LIKE to do because you need to hold out for one that allows you to service your loans.

4. Most importantly- hear me now, thank me later: http://product.half.ebay.com/Planet-Law-School-II_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ2671170 which recommends www.leews.com

Buy it, do what it says starting yesterday (including summer preparation based on Examples and Explanations primers), and never look back at the competition!!!

NYC Poke
12/16/2008, 06:11 PM
They were ranked about 20 when I last looked, when I was in law school (which should tell you something). My suggestion was intended to direct you to a few "good-not-great" schools that are traditionally perceived as being strong, though perhaps not elite. They probably correspond roughtly to rankings 17-35 or so in USN&WR, and tend to vacillate due to changes in rankings criteria year to year. I was thinking schools like Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin,* Emory, UCLA, etc. Couple that with a few "elites." I realize it costs money to apply, but the total will roughly equate to your billable hour when you're a fancy-pants lawyer. :D

*I have a friend who went to Harvard undergrad and Wisconsin law. He's in LA now as General Counsel for the Guitar Center. He gets discounts on his instruments, gets to keep his guitars in his office, gets backstage passes to all the concerts they sponsor, and they don't have drug testing because when they last tried that, they would've had to have let all their employees go.

NYC Poke
12/16/2008, 06:22 PM
And just to be clear, I agree with a lot of what Mallen wrote. Just do well wherever you go. One of the sharpest attorneys I've worked with was an OU grad (loved talking football with him), and I've worked with plenty of Ivies. I'm just suggesting to keep your options as open as you can.

soonerboomer93
12/16/2008, 06:59 PM
3. Balance all of that with: student loans/scholarships. Sounds like you're doing well on scholarships. I can't overstate how important it is to watch how all this works because they WON'T TELL YOU! It's a crappy "hide the ball" thing, but they mostly will pay only lip service to the financial aspect. Limit limit LIMIT LIMIT LIMIT!!! your exposure to debt. Sure, those student loan rates are low...but they can seriously hinder your ability to accept a job you'd LIKE to do because you need to hold out for one that allows you to service your loans.

You do realize you're attempting to instruct a Credit Union Manager about borrowing money...

he's also older then dirt

but you did make me laugh

:D

Okla-homey
12/16/2008, 07:02 PM
4. Most importantly- hear me now, thank me later: http://product.half.ebay.com/Planet-Law-School-II_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ2671170 which recommends www.leews.com

Buy it, do what it says starting yesterday (including summer preparation based on Examples and Explanations primers), and never look back at the competition!!!

Here, here. Only book I read about lawskool before I started and it was all for true. Fo sho. Sign me, "Top Ten Per-center. " (admittedly from skanky ol'TU, but I was offered a job by every firm with which I interviewed, and I'm happily ensconced in a big Oklahoma law firm.)

OKC-SLC
12/16/2008, 09:56 PM
Froze, this is all good news; congratulations.

But what I really wanted to post was that only after reading this thread did I discover you'd changed your screen name back. I guess that's how automatically I interchanged 'Froz' and 'MR'.

I think that means I spend too much time on here; I'm not sure.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2008, 10:35 PM
I'm still somewhat fresh out of school, so allow me to toss in my $0.02.

1. Congrats! This is an exciting time for you.

Thanks. More stressful than anything. Selling my house, selling my car, selling my furniture, telling my boss I'm gone in July...

2. You seem to be entirely too concerned about rankings. Your end-game is getting a job you like in a place you like with a salary you like. The rankings of each school play a much smaller role in that than you think. Being in the top 5% at OU will get you further in OKC than being in the bottom 5% at Harvard.

My end-game is to get the best legal education I can with the least amount of debt. I don't have much of a preference as to where I end up, though I'll likely end up back in Alaska. No real regional biases for hiring up here, since there's no law school up here, and I've got connections in the legal community.

2. If you really want to practice in OKlahoma, you'd be best served going to school here. That way you have access to on-campus interviews, etc. IF you're out of town, you have a LOT more work to do in seeking out summer clerkships with firms out-of-state. Sure, big firms will be impressed if you pull out a good ranking at Columbia...but probably won't give much of a care about Michigan State.

While I would certainly love to return to Oklahoma to practice, it's not really a consideration that's weighing on my decision. I love the state, but I have no particular tie to Oklahoma other than spending 4.5 really fun years there 12 years ago.

That's what I'm doing. Trust me, I know to limit my exposure to debt. That's one major advantage Bama has over OU right now. It's also a reason I'm looking at schools where the cost of living is low.

Thanks! Great advice.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2008, 10:36 PM
You do realize you're attempting to instruct a Credit Union Manager about borrowing money...

he's also older then dirt

but you did make me laugh

:D

Eh. The advice was well-meant and correct. Cut him some slack-he doesn't know that I'm a graybeard.

85Sooner
12/16/2008, 10:42 PM
NOw don't turn into a liberal....................oh wait ;)

soonerboomer93
12/16/2008, 11:16 PM
Eh. The advice was well-meant and correct. Cut him some slack-he doesn't know that I'm a graybeard.

oh, I know it was correct, I just found it amusing that he was giving financial advice to the one everyone goes to for financial advice

47straight
12/16/2008, 11:42 PM
Did you get into UVA?

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2008, 11:56 PM
Haven't heard back from them yet. All they've said so far is "We review every application carefully and we only promise to have an answer for you by April 15th."

Edit: just checked their website. According to the website, the application is complete but no decision has been made as yet.

47straight
12/17/2008, 01:21 AM
So, this isn't anything that you probably don't already know.

If you were a young buck in his 20s, I would say go to UVA if you get in, without question.

The fact that you're a more distinguished gentleman complicates things. My hesistation about going to UVA would be what kind of job realistically are you going to do when you get out. More specifically, are you willing/can you get a job that pays enough to pay off all the student loans that will come with UVA. IMO that's what guides your whole decision.

Now, if you have dreams of grandeur and prestige, clerking for big-name judges and maybe rising in the ranks of public service or judging on your own, then UVA really is your only choice out of those you listed.

And I don't recommend reading substantive law ahead in the summer with anything that the school doesn't give you. At most, read a "how to succeed in law school" book. I personally *highly* recommend "Getting to Maybe." As far as trying to learn some of the substantive stuff ahead of time, I really think it's not worth your time. Law school is first and foremost about learning how to think and solve problems in a different way, and you won't really get that reading on your own.

Frozen Sooner
12/17/2008, 01:33 AM
So, this isn't anything that you probably don't already know.

If you were a young buck in his 20s, I would say go to UVA if you get in, without question.

The fact that you're a more distinguished gentleman complicates things. My hesistation about going to UVA would be what kind of job realistically are you going to do when you get out. More specifically, are you willing/can you get a job that pays enough to pay off all the student loans that will come with UVA. IMO that's what guides your whole decision.

I would agree with that assessment. If UVA doesn't come up with a significant scholarship, I'm not going to be able to afford it. Plus, my first year of law school I'll be working off of this year's taxes and won't qualify for any kind of financial aid other than merit scholarships.

Now, if you have dreams of grandeur and prestige, clerking for big-name judges and maybe rising in the ranks of public service or judging on your own, then UVA really is your only choice out of those you listed.

Quite possibly. It's certainly a more prestigious school than the others, with a nationally-respected tradition. As you mentioned, though-you have to cut about 12 years off my working life compared to another 1L, AND you have to factor the opportunity cost of losing my (certainly not outrageous but certainly comfortable) current salary.

Mainly, I want to heterodyne my experience in banking and finance with the legal education. There's going to be a very odd regulatory environment in banking soon.

And I don't recommend reading substantive law ahead in the summer with anything that the school doesn't give you. At most, read a "how to succeed in law school" book. I personally *highly* recommend "Getting to Maybe." As far as trying to learn some of the substantive stuff ahead of time, I really think it's not worth your time. Law school is first and foremost about learning how to think and solve problems in a different way, and you won't really get that reading on your own.

That's some advice that I can really use (not that the rest wasn't!)

Heck, I just plan on showing up the first day and repeating "Griswold!" every time someone looks at me. ;)

Heck, I like to read decisions anyhow. I'm sick that way. When you mentioned the consolidation cases a bit ago, I made a point of reading them. While I was aware of the concept, I hadn't read the cases before.

Based on what I've read so far, I'll need to make sure I spend as much time hitting the books as humanly possible and to stay away from the 1L party trap. The last bit I should manage just by being in the "creepy" age group to be hanging out with a bunch of 22 year old kids. The second bit-heck, if I can manage to put up with crap from employees and crap from customers for 40 hours a week, I should be able to read for 40 hours+ per week pretty easily. :D

47straight
12/17/2008, 11:30 AM
Based on what I've read so far, I'll need to make sure I spend as much time hitting the books as humanly possible and to stay away from the 1L party trap. The last bit I should manage just by being in the "creepy" age group to be hanging out with a bunch of 22 year old kids. The second bit-heck, if I can manage to put up with crap from employees and crap from customers for 40 hours a week, I should be able to read for 40 hours+ per week pretty easily. :D

Heh. I wouldn't think that you'd have a problem taking the stuff seriously enough. It is utterly foolish to treat law school as Undergrad II - party 2-3 nights a week, study for a week before the exams, and get a B+. You will see this mostly from folks who go to law school because they couldn't think of anything else to do, or went straight through from undergrad (with maybe of a year of travelling or working a BS job in between).

I would get to know other students well, either from classes, a journal or a clinic, and do do a sufficient amount of social things. Down the road a lot of business that you get in private practice will be from other lawyers you know.

OUMallen
12/17/2008, 11:41 AM
Hehe I didn't know you were uber-banker, Frozen. :)

Frozen Sooner
12/30/2008, 06:21 PM
Heard back from Indiana. IU has offered $15k/year. Still no word from Virginia or Columbia.

Went ahead and provisionally accepted Alabama's offer with the understanding that I'm still waiting on those two schools. Alabama upped their offer to a full tuition scholarship and had Morris Dees call me to convince me to go to 'Bama on Sunday.

Looks like I'm 'Bama bound. I doubt that either Virginia or Columbia will come anywhere close to 'Bama's offer. Thanks for all the advice everyone's given in this and other threads.

Mississippi State would win 8 games in the ACC.
SPEED!

Okla-homey
12/30/2008, 07:04 PM
Heard back from Indiana. IU has offered $15k/year. Still no word from Virginia or Columbia.

Went ahead and provisionally accepted Alabama's offer with the understanding that I'm still waiting on those two schools. Alabama upped their offer to a full tuition scholarship and had Morris Dees call me to convince me to go to 'Bama on Sunday.

Looks like I'm 'Bama bound. I doubt that either Virginia or Columbia will come anywhere close to 'Bama's offer. Thanks for all the advice everyone's given in this and other threads.

Mississippi State would win 8 games in the ACC.
SPEED!

I'm proud of my short round liberal brutha. Now, srsly, have you acquired a copy of Planet Law School yet? Essential reading to dispel myths, help you successfully navigate law skool politics and avoid the various traps and pitfalls.

Frozen Sooner
12/30/2008, 07:07 PM
Getting a copy of it tonight.

And it ain't like you tower over me. And I've lost about 40lbs since the last time you saw me.

Okla-homey
12/30/2008, 07:12 PM
Getting a copy of it tonight.

And it ain't like you tower over me. And I've lost about 40lbs since the last time you saw me.

Good for you. Don't put it back on eating study snackies.;)

Frozen Sooner
12/30/2008, 07:13 PM
Good for you. Don't put it back on eating study snackies.;)

Heh.

Misdiagnosed GI diseases=better than Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, and South Beach put together.

Okla-homey
12/30/2008, 07:18 PM
Heh.

Misdiagnosed GI diseases=better than Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, and South Beach put together.

I did some of my best studying on the porcelain study chair.;)

You know, the most significant piece of advice I could give is to hit the ground running and work very hard that first semester. Those 1L grades are the key to everything. If you do the stuff recommended in PLS, you'll pull a hat trick in 1L torts, civ pro and contracts. Worked for me, and I hadn't been in grad school since 1991.