PDA

View Full Version : So I'm reading that Auburn wants Muschamp.

aurorasooner
12/5/2008, 02:56 PM
From what I'm reading Muschamp won't sign a contract with Texas until January. Outside of the salary bump, it appears that Muschamp is not locked in with anything except a verbal. He may be doing some soul searching right now on if it's best for him to accept the Auburn job now or possibly wait 5 years for Mack to retire. Since Muschamp came to Texas from Auburn, he knows the complete athletic situation at Auburn. I guess it boils down to how much Auburn is willing to offer guaranteed, how much he wants to be a head coach now, as well as if Muschamp thinks he can compete vs Saban. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into a bidding war and that 900K from Texas goes up at least another 1/2 mil or so, and Auburn's offer goes up to 2-1/2 to 3 mil/year, if Auburn has deep enough pockets after just giving TT a 5 mil gift.

hobbes2702
12/5/2008, 03:24 PM
I believe the contract is already signed but the pay raise doesn't happen until the end of the year. Also Muschamp really dislikes the administration at AU which was one of his main reasons for leaving despite being offered the same salary by AU.

aurorasooner
12/5/2008, 03:33 PM
I believe the contract is already signed but the pay raise doesn't happen until the end of the year. Also Muschamp really dislikes the administration at AU which was one of his main reasons for leaving despite being offered the same salary by AU.

Muschamp is scheduled to receive a raise to $900,000 to remain as defensive coordinator. Officials said Muschamp would receive a five-year contract when he becomes the head coach.

Officials said Muschamp would not sign the contract until January.
.http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/longhorns/35545519.html

Partial Qualifier
12/5/2008, 03:39 PM
I want Muschamp to stay at Texas. I think he's a "player's coach" at a coordinator level, a good one at that, but seriously out of his league as a head coach at a program like Texas.

TMcGee86
12/5/2008, 03:45 PM
Supposedly his wife loves Austin and said if he leaves she's staying.

But who knows, maybe she liked bama as well.

aurorasooner
12/5/2008, 04:18 PM
Supposedly his wife loves Austin and said if he leaves she's staying.

But who knows, maybe she liked bama as well.The wild card in all of this may be the quote below from Mack and how much and how long Auburn will guarantee. Although if he jumps to Auburn and fails, I doubt that he could get another 900 grand DC job anywhere. Then again if Mack doesn't lose another 5 straight to us, he may be at Texas quite a while. Nice problem to have if you're a CFB DC.
Mack Brown said Tuesday there is no timetable for when he will stop coaching at Texas. He also said he has no plans to quit anytime soon.

Texas announced Tuesday that when Brown resigns, he'll be replaced by defensive coordinator Will Muschamp.

But Brown, 57, isn't packing up his office just yet. He said this year's team has "re-energized" him, and he feels healthier this year than he has in any of his 11 seasons as Texas' coach.

"I'm loving what I do," Brown said. "I think I have a lot of good years left."

JLEW1818
12/5/2008, 04:25 PM
I bet she likes Colt....hehe

humblesooner
12/5/2008, 05:48 PM
The resident horn in our office and I were talking about this earlier this week.
These are good deals for the coordinators, but could be mess for the athletic departments. We have seen that even Head Coach contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on when it comes to a coach taking a different job. No reason to believe the coordinator is any different.
Schools like Texas and Florida State pay these guys nearly $1 million per year for X years to have them in place when the old timers decide to hand it up. Then after about 5 years (and $2.5 million extra) another job opens up and they will abandon ship in a heartbeat.
The first time this happens, AD's will realize how stupid these arrangements are and they will go away.
Couldn't happen to a couple of finer institutions (UT and FSU) if you ask me.

Flagstaffsooner
12/5/2008, 06:26 PM
http://www.robertstrausscenter.org/img/upload/1210183176_brown_paterno.jpg

Mack wants to be like Joe Pa

Mack(tx)a$$

IBleedCrimson
12/5/2008, 06:47 PM
hopefully he commits to auburn... and doesn't tell the team until they're in the locker room right before they go to play the mighty utah. in my fantasy, TU gets slaughtered bc theyr so disheartened by his departure. Mack also has a heart attack he is so shocked and the program goes into a deep recline that lasts for eleventyhundred years :)

AlbqSooner
12/5/2008, 07:50 PM
The resident horn in our office and I were talking about this earlier this week.
These are good deals for the coordinators, but could be mess for the athletic departments. We have seen that even Head Coach contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on when it comes to a coach taking a different job. No reason to believe the coordinator is any different.
Schools like Texas and Florida State pay these guys nearly $1 million per year for X years to have them in place when the old timers decide to hand it up. Then after about 5 years (and $2.5 million extra) another job opens up and they will abandon ship in a heartbeat.
The first time this happens, AD's will realize how stupid these arrangements are and they will go away.
Couldn't happen to a couple of finer institutions (UT and FSU) if you ask me.

Didn't Penn State propose something similar after the '72 season?;)

JLEW1818
12/5/2008, 08:02 PM
Leach=Auburn?

I think he would **** off some SEC programs...:)

soonergirlNeugene
12/6/2008, 01:52 AM
Leach=Auburn?

I think he would **** off some SEC programs...:)

I've been wondering lately how well Leach would do in other parts of the country. Lubbock isn't exactly a great place, but he does have good access to :texan: recruits there.

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2008, 03:15 AM
I've been reading about how they want a decent season...or a win against bama, which they consider a decent season lately.

They seem like sheephumpers who at least used to win...